|Rixman Telephone Company|
In 1901 the village of Hoyleton granted H. William Rixmann and Henry F. Rixmann the right to build the first telephone line within the
There were 5 brothers. They operated a general merchandise store in Irvington and in 1900 they started to build the first telephone system in Irvington known as Rixman Telephone Co. The first switchboard was installed on a platform located in the middle of the store. In a short time the telephone business started increasing and they began building to neighboring towns. They serve the following towns from the Hoyleton office: Irvington, Cravat, Walnut Hill, Richview, Beaucoup, Huegely, New Minden, Hoffman as well as rural subscribers. The business was incorporated in 1904.
Three of the brothers were in the telephone business together for 49 years. Fred D. Rixman died in 1949. William H. Rixman dies in 1950. Gustav died in 1955.
The Rixman Telephone Company merged with the Okaw Commercial Telephone Co. n 1956 that later was taken over by the Continental Telephone Co.
Source : Washington County Illinois History, 1979 submitted by Azalia Rixman