Washington County, Illinois
|Return to : Washington County|
Clarkson Manufacturing Company|
Nashville, Washington County, Illinois
Illinois Power Shovel Company ~~ 1926 - 1930|
Clarkson Manufacturing Company ~~ 1930 - 1957
National Mine Service Company ~~ 1957 - _?_ (1980s in Nashville)
In 1917, the Clarksons bought the Nicholson Brothers Coal Mine from the Nicolsons who had operated the coal mine from 1915 to 1917. They named the company Nashville Mining Company
Born on May 1, 1888 in Kirkwood, Wapello Co., Iowa
Married Ethel Edwards on October 7, 1914
in Benld, Macoupin Co., Illinois
1917 Draft Registration (June 8, 1917)
Age 29 years
Born May 1, 1888 in Nashville, Illinois
Married plus one child
Coal Operator for Self
Medium Height, Slender Build,
Dark Brown Eyes, Dark Brown Hair
Residence in 1920, 1930 Nashville, Illinois
Occupation Operator of Coal Mine
Residence in 1940 : Nashville, Illinois
Occupation : Engineer Proprietor
Manufacturing Coal Loading Machine
Died on June 11, 1952 in Nashville, Washington Co., Illinois
Born on March 29, 1891 in Foster, Monroe Co., Iowa
1917 Draft Registration (June 2, 1917)
Precinct 4, Tucson, Arizona
Born on March 29, 1891 in Foster, Iowa
University of Agr. Tucson / Agriculture
Prev Mil. -- 1st Sergeant of _?_ Mil Dept
Iowa Natl Guards (4 years)
Medium Height, Slender Build
Brown Eyes, Brown Hair
Address : 204 Second Ave.
Married Ursilla Elzema Reese about 1919
Residence in 1920 : Nashville, Illinois
Occupation : Engineer Proprietor
Residence in 1930 : Nashville, Illinois
Occupation : Superintendent - Power Shovel Co.
Residence in 1940 : Nashville, Illinois
Occupation : Proprietor & Mechanic Engineer
Coal Shovel Manufacturer
Died on May 16, 1972 in Evergreen, Jefferson Co., Colorado
According to the Coal Age of October 1936 published by McGraw-Hill Publishing Company, Inc., on page 69 : |
In 1929 the first Clarkson loader was installed at Orient No. 1 mine of the Chicago, Wilmington & Franklin Coal Company at Orient, Franklin County, Illinois,
(this is near West Frankfort, Franklin County, Illinois)
Article by National Mine Service Company
from WCHS Archives
courtesy of Elaine Rucker
Clarkson Division Nashville, Illinois
Clyde E. and John L. Clarkson bought an underground bituminous coal mine on the east side of Illinois Route 127, just north of Nashville from the Nicholson Coal Company in the early 1900's. They called it the Nashville Coal Mining Company and mined and sold coal. By 1934 the operation had been renamed Clarkson Coal and Mining Company and functioned until 1939, when mining was discontinued after one of the entries struck and old oil well, flooding the mine, reportedly with salt water. Fortunately, however, in 1926 the Illinois Power Shovel Company had been formed to build the National Conway Coal Shovels in the above-ground shop. according to designs and patents held by National Lead Company. This capital equipment manufacture and repair began to contribute to company revenues.
The first coal loader, a "Type 50 Clarkson Loader", was built on a Conway Coal Shovel chassis in 1930 and shipped to Chicago, Wilmington, and Franklin Coal Company's Orient # 1 Mine. The company was renamed the Clarkson Manufacturing Company, and coal loader development was actively pursued through the change from rail-mounted underground equipment to rubber-tired equipment. The first rubber-tired "Redbird" Loader was built in 1949 and displayed at the American Mining Congress Coal Show in Cleveland, Ohio.
Heavy loads imposed on conveyor chains by bigger and more powerful machines resulted in a search for new, better ways to build conveyor chains. In 1931 Alton Jackson began his career at Clarkson Manufacturing Company trying to find solutions to these problems. One of his designs, utilizing a welded flight-to-flight pin connection (Patent #2,450,501), is still in use today, even though Mr. Jackson died in 1968. Redbird Conveyor Chain, in a complete range of sizes, became -- and remain -- an important product which is sold to mining customers and competitors as well.
On February 1, 1955, Clarkson Manufacturing Company acquired the entire assets, "as pertaining to mining", of the Marietta Manufacturing Company. Up to that time Marietta had been developing and building Marietta (Boring Type) Miners (descendants of the original McKinlay Entry Drivers first used in the early 1920's) in Point Pleasant, West Virginia. The mobility and productivity of Marietta Miners, along with unprecedented durability eventually led to wide-spread use of them in coal and non-coal mines the world over. The first Clarkson Manufacturing Company Marietta was built for shipment to France in August of 1956.
The patents and designs owned by Clarkson Manufacturing Company, were important to the mining industry, caused Gordon C. MacVean, founder of the young and growing National Mine Service Company, to seek out and acquire the Clarkson Manufacturing Company, on April 1, 1957. The facilities in Nashville were designated as the Clarkson Division of National Mine Service Company and product design and production was continued under Stuart Jenkins, Plant Manager. (National Mine Service Company is a corporation of West Virginia and its headquarters in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.) Alton Jackson, Clifford C. Conway, and a young engineer from Chicago, Jerry Karlovsky, teamed up to design a succession of more and more powerful Marietta Miners. In the years between 1957 and 1969, over 100 Mighty Mariettas were designed by the Clarkson Division Engineering Department and fabricated, machined, and assembled at the "Old Shovel Factory". Included were Marietta destined for service in coal, potash, trona, iron ore, and salt mines all over the United States and Canada, as well as, France, Germany, Australia, and even the Negev Desert of Israel. These machines were disassembled and crated for shipment since some weighed as much as 100 tons.
Additionally, the largest underground miners ever built were designed and, in part, constructed at the Calrkson Division Plant. They were the 1012 and 780AW4 Marietta which weighed 205 and 250 tons each, respectively. These machines were installed in Canadian potash mines in Saskatchewan in 1968 and 1970 and are still in service. The 1012 mines an entry 12 foot high and 21 foot wide while the 780AW4 mines an entry 8 foot high and 26 foot wide. The size and power of these 4160 Volt A.C. 1,800 and 1,500 horsepower machines have never been equalled by any other manufacturer.
The year 1969 marked the end of an era when passage of the Coal Mine Health and Safety Act virtually outlawed the use of boring-type miners in United States coal mines. But, the Clarkson Division was at work on the next generation of mining machinery -- The Marietta Drum Miner. This unique machine has numerous, patented features including a tough-cutting, solid head with canted-end drums capable of dependable cutting where other types of heads can't cut at all. Since the first prototype machine was built in 1970, over 100 Marietta Drum Miners of various sizes have been built. Most of the final assembly of the drum miners has been dome at the Ashland Division Plant of National Mine Service Company since the Miner Product Engineering Group was transferred to Ashland, Kentucky, in 1973.
The Clarkson Division is now actively engaged in producing parts for all National Mine Service Company Mining Machinery Division's products and has been assigned the responsibility of building and developing prototypes of new, better, and now, smaller Marietta Drum Miners. Diminishing reserves of high coal continue to push the national average mine height lower; but under the direction of Jim Lehde, Plant Manager and Don Freed, Chief Development Engineer, the Clarkson Division (as did the Illinois Power Shovel Company) will continue to furnish the mining industry the equipment needed, no matter what size or horsepower.
|Photographs from James Lehde's Collection, courtesy of Jan & Marsha Middleton|
Clarkson Scoop Loader
|Photograph from James Lehde's Collection, courtesy of Jan & Marsha Middleton|
Postcard Photograph dated 1939 courtesy of Jo House
|Photos of Ink Blotter card from Harrl Beatty Photograph Collection, courtesy of Larry & Jo House|
Clarkson Manufacturing circa 1940's - 1950s
Photograph courtesy of Jo House
|Clarkson Manufacturing Company
Photographs from James "Jim" Lehde's Collection
courtesy of Jan & Marsha Middleton