Genealogy Trails Illinois title
Washington County, Illinois
Return to : Washington County Genealogy Trails logo

Oakdale Township, Washington County, Illinois  
- - - - -       - - - - -       - - - - -       - - - - -
Elkton Union Church
This is Washington County 1818 - 1968
      Published by the Sesquicentennial Committee
of the Historical Society of Washington County, Illinois
Elkton Union Church
                          The community life of Elton today centers around this church.

Elkton Once Was Thriving Community
      Although Elkton today is a small roadside community, almost forgotten in the southern part of the county, its life centered around the Union Church, it once was a thriving palce.
      The town itself was laid out by Henry H. Talbot and James Steel, Jr. in 1837. John Raney was the first settler in Elkton Precinct in 1822. He located on the old Vincennes-Kaskaskia Trace about two miles from Mud Creek. He was followed by William Rountree, Sr., a year later. Rountree, a Virginian, settled in section 16, present site of the village. He died at his homestead there in 1859, left a large family.
      A first settler in Elkhorn Prairie, the Hon. James M. rountree was later state's attorney of Washington County.
      His father, Granville Rountree, came to this same prairie in 1816, lived there all his life, had eight children, died in 1860.
      A post office was established by Thomas Bird in 1850 at Ayers Point, to the east, now Oakdale.
      Elkton once maintained three general stores, kept by J. Blum, august Fisher and Henry Dunkhorst, who also was an early postmaster. There also was a harness shop, two blacksmith shops, a hotel. The two physcians were Dr. R. E. Vernor and Dr. S. F. Wehr. A later (and final) physcian at Elkton was Dr. Jack.
      There also were two churches. The old brick Ev.-Lutheran church stood just west of the Lathrup property. The Union Church (still in use) was built in 1875. Trustees at that time were L. R. Kinyon, Dr. J. J. Trout and C. M. Hawkins. The last trustees elected were John Reinhardt, A. C. Shubert and Charles Rezba. sunday School is still held there, with John Reinhardt as superintendent.
      West of Lively Grove was a church known as the Baptist Church of Elkton. Later it was reorganized and services shifted to the Elkton Union Church.
      The Elkton Lodge No. 453, I.O.O.F., was organized Oct. 10, 1871. charter members were M. Fox, R. B. Klane, H. F. Dancke, Hy. Bollmeier, E. Hulsemann ahnd H. Hahne.
      The land, now the Venedy Coal Company, was once owned by John Kinyon in 1833. He sold out and went to Missouri, then returned and settled in Elkhorn Prairie, in the area that is now the Venedy community. Joseph Kinyon was another pioneer settler in the Elkhorn Prairie. He once operated a horse-driven mill.
      The first store in Elkton was opened in the residence of William Rountree by H. H. Talbot; the last store in Elkton was owned and operated by George Rezba in the old Blum building. -- Contibuted by Mollie (Kinyon) Rezba,
- - - - -       - - - - -       - - - - -       - - - - -
1966 newspaper clipping
The Nashville News
Nashville, Illinois
courtesy of Kathyrn Todd
Class to Observe 50th Anniversary
Confirmation Class Anniversay
Back row, left to right -- Harry Sommer, Rev. Aug. Bock and Harry Frieman;
front row -- the late Mary (Kinyon) Reuter, Mrs. Walter Klingenberg (lena Lehman), Mrs. Chas. Cunningham (Tillie Reuter), Mrs. Irene Alfeldt (Irene Frieman), Alice Reinhardt, Mrs. Kate Klingenberg (Kate Lehman).
      The confirmation class of 1916 of Elkton Union church will observe their 50th anniversary with a reunion on Sunday, April 17, at the Elkton church at 2:00 p.m. The class was confirmed on April 16, 1916 by the Rev. August F. Bock, who resides at Peterson, Iowa, and is retired. An invitation was extended him, but he is unable to be present.
      One of the confirmands, Mary Kinyon, is deceased. She was married to Gus Reuter, who is also deceased.

© 2013     Wayne Hinton
Genealogy Trails logo

Return to : Washington County