Genealogy Trails Illinois title
Washington County, Illinois
Return to : Washington County Genealogy Trails logo
Historic
Dining & Drinking Establishments
Nashville, Washington County, Illinois
 
Dining Drinking

Cafes, Diners, Drive-Ins, Restaurants
- - - - -       - - - - -       - - - - -       - - - - -       - - - - -
Beek's Cafe
early 1960s
 
Beek's Cafe
Photograph courtesy of Larry House
Beek's Cafe, Arthur E. & Bertha C. Beek, owners
110 West Elm ~~~ located on north side of the Courthouse square
- - - - -       - - - - -       - - - - -       - - - - -       - - - - -
Dairy Whip
 
Dairy Whip
Photograph from NCHS 1966 yearbook "The Hornet"
Dairy Whip, Kenneth K. Caraway, owner
205 East St. Louis Street in 1957 ~~~ 100 block of South Mill Street in 1964
- - - - -       - - - - -       - - - - -       - - - - -       - - - - -
Decker's Cafe
 
Decker's Cafe ~ 1957
Joe & Helen's Cafe
- - - - -       - - - - -       - - - - -       - - - - -       - - - - -
Derrick Restaurant
 
Derrick Restautrant
Photograph courtesy of Larry House from Harrl Beatty's Collection
Derrick Restaurant
121 - 127 West St. Louis Street
- - - - -       - - - - -       - - - - -       - - - - -       - - - - -
Frieda's Cafe
 
Frieda's Cafe
Photograph from NCHS 1965 yearbook "The Hornet"
Frieda's Cafe ~ 1965, 1966
- - - - -       - - - - -       - - - - -       - - - - -       - - - - -
Home Cafe
October 1937
 
Home Cafe 1937
Photograph courtesy of Bill Junge
Home Cafe, Mrs. & Mrs. Junge, owners
130 East St. Louis Street, on north side of East St. Louis Street, west of the four way stop at the intersection of Rte.15 & Rte 127.
October, 1937 per calendar on wall
Left to Right : Mary N. (nee Newman) Junge. Helen Luebke, (who later married Carl Wiese), Mrs. Kemena, (or Kimena)
Hi-way Cafe
Late 1940s to early 1950's this was the Hi-way Cafe, owned by Marion Woolbright, with Eleanor Clark as a waitress.
 
Bogle's Cafe ~ 1964
Photograph from NCHS 1964 yearbook "The Hornet"
- - - - -       - - - - -       - - - - -       - - - - -       - - - - -
Jet Cafe
 
Jet Cafe exterior
Photograph courtesy of Larry House
Jet Cafe, Loland & Mary Baker, owners
615 North Mill Street (Illinois Route 127)
 
 
Jet Cafe interior
Photograph from NCHS 1964 yearbook "The Hornet"

 
Waitress at left of picture - Mickey Edwards
Standing by center table - Mary Baker, owner
Waitress to right - Permelia Murphy
at counter left to right :
      1. unknown
      2. Wayne Morrison
      3. unknown
      4. Karl Beckmeyer
      5. Charles Rusiewski
      6. unknown
Center table ~ Patricia Schmidt, Sue Hardesty
- - - - -       - - - - -       - - - - -       - - - - -       - - - - -
M & S Drive-In
early 1960s
 
M & S Drive-In
Photograph courtesy of Larry House
M & S Drive-In, Edward Mienert & George Small, owners
Audrey Cook is pictured.
220 East St. Louis Street ~~~ north side of Rte. 15, one-half block east of intersection of Rte.15 & Rte 127.
- - - - -       - - - - -       - - - - -       - - - - -       - - - - -
Nelson's Drive-In
early 1960s
Nelson's Drive-In
Photograph courtesy of Larry House from 1964 NCHS yearbook "the Hornet"
Nelson's Drive-In
South Mill Street ( Illinois Route 127.)
Shown in photograph are :
Bob Smith (seated in front), Don Smith (seated next), Mrs. Middleton (standing on left), Mr. Nelson, Mrs. Nelson
- - - - -       - - - - -       - - - - -       - - - - -       - - - - -
Selyer's Cafe
 
Selyer's Cafe
143 East St. Louis Street, on south side of East St. Louis Street, west of the four way stop at the intersection of Rte.15 & Rte 127.
circa 1960s & 1970s, owner was Delphine Dahlke
- - - - -       - - - - -       - - - - -       - - - - -       - - - - -
The Donut Shop
circa late 1940s
 
The Donut Shop
Photograph courtesy of Cathy Miller
The Donut Shop, Armen & Alberta Tweady, owners
West St. Louis Street (Illinois Route 15) north side, west of the Courthouse Square.
Alberta (nee Mcconnell) Tweady is behind the counter along with May (nee Tweady) Spangenberg.
      This may be the same building as was occupied by Holland's Cafe in 1952, that was part of the Colonial Inn, and is listed in the 1952 Telephone Directory as being located at 130 West St. Louis Street (which is the same address as Ahlf's Grocery). The building is now occupied by The Nashville News and in 2014 has an address of 211 West St. Louis Street.
- - - - -       - - - - -       - - - - -       - - - - -       - - - - -
Topper Restaurant
 
Topper Restaurant
Photograph from NCHS 1966 yearbook "The Hornet"
Topper Restaurant, Bill & Mary Seyler, owners
South Mill Street ( Illinois Route 127.)
- - - - -       - - - - -       - - - - -       - - - - -       - - - - -
West End Cafe
 
West End Cafe
Photograph courtesy of Jo House
The Coffee Shop ~ 1952
West End Cafe ~ _?_ - prior to 1970
717 West St. Louis Street ( Illinois Route 15.)
 
There were various owners throughout the years :
Joe & Evelyn Berry, Mr. Gilter, and maybe a Mr. Smith
      The building was originally a gas station, and was converted into a restaurant in the very early 1950s. There was quite a discussion about this photo, including the street looking like is was made of brick, however, the conclusion is that this is probably the paper stock of picture that this photo was copied from. Also quite a recollection of City Police Officer, Ed Petri and his car parked here. (In 1957, Edward W. Petri was Assistant Chief of Police, and Freeman F. Kaser was Chief of Police).
      A pinball machine just to right after entering, and on the right side was a dining room and the counter was straight back from the font foyer and pinball machine. Seems as if the kitchen was to the very back on the right side.
      In the late 1960s, this building was converted into an office building that was used by Mr. Patton, and occupied recently by the Marion Eye Center.
- - - - -       - - - - -       - - - - -       - - - - -       - - - - -




Taverns
- - - - -       - - - - -       - - - - -       - - - - -       - - - - -
Cinders Tavern
 
Cinders Tavern
Photograph courtesy of Larry House from Harrl Beatty's Collection
Gutzler's Tavern, Martin E. Gutzler, owner
124 East St. Louis Street, on north side of East St. Louis Street, west of the four way stop at the intersection of Rte.15 & Rte 127.
Cinders Tavern, Warren A. "Cinders" & Wilma A. Borchelt, owners ~ 1965
- - - - -       - - - - -       - - - - -       - - - - -       - - - - -
Coachman Lounge
 
Coachman Lounge
Photograph from NCHS 1965 yearbook "The Hornet"
Coachman Lounge
early 1970s owner was Albert Oxeman
East Elm Street, adjacent to Don's Bowl ~~~ north side of the Courthouse Square.
 
The Place, Butch Wilkey, Owner
(unknown date) ~ This was a disco bar, complete with the spinning glitter ball hanging over the dance floor.
- - - - -       - - - - -       - - - - -       - - - - -       - - - - -
Corner Tavern
 
Corner Tavern, Kenneth & Wilma Jenkins, owners
201 East St. Louis Street ~~~ southeast corner of the stop-light at the intersection of Rte.15 & Rte 127.
- - - - -       - - - - -       - - - - -       - - - - -       - - - - -
Cloverleaf Tavern
 
Cloverleaf Tavern
Photograph courtesy of Larry House
Cloverleaf Tavern, Katherine L. "Katie" Hoffman, owner
West St. Louis Street ~~~ west edge of Nashville on north side of Illinois Route 15.
- - - - -       - - - - -       - - - - -       - - - - -       - - - - -
Joe & Marie's Tavern
 
Joe & Marie's Tavern, Joseph R. & Marie C. Kaufman, owners
152 East St. Louis Street, on north side of East St. Louis Street, west of the four way stop at the intersection of Rte.15 & Rte 127.
- - - - -       - - - - -       - - - - -       - - - - -       - - - - -
Schubert's Tavern
early 1960s
 
Schubert's Tavern
Photograph courtesy of Larry House
Schubert's Tavern, John Schubert, owner
502 North Kaskaskia ~~~ just to the south of the railroad tracks, 5 blocks north of the Courthouse Square.
- - - - -       - - - - -       - - - - -       - - - - -       - - - - -
Ski's Last Resort
 
Ski's Last Resort, Gary Chwarcinski, owner
609 North Mill Street (Illinois Route 127)
           ~~~ same location as Martin Service Station was located for many years, next to Jet Cafe
- - - - -       - - - - -       - - - - -       - - - - -       - - - - -
Smith's Tavern
early 1960s
 
Smith's Tavern
Photograph courtesy of Larry House
1952 & 1957 - Walter's Tavern, Walter Jankowski, owner
Smith's Tavern
214 East St. Louis ~~~ north side of Rte. 15, one-half block east of intersection of Rte.15 & Rte 127.
- - - - -       - - - - -       - - - - -       - - - - -       - - - - -
Speck's Tavern
early 1960s
 
Speck's Tavern
Photograph courtesy of Larry House
Speck's Tavern, Ferdinand & Pearl Speck, owners
105 East First Street ~~~ across the street from the L & N Depot


© 2014     Wayne Hinton
Genealogy Trails logo

Return to : Washington County