Genealogy Trails logo

Washington County, Illinois

Return to : Washington County

Early History Of
Huegely Milling Company
Huegely Elevator
courtesy of Jo House
      Arriving in Nashville, Washington County, Illinois, in 1853, John Huegely along with his brother-in-law, Philip H. Reither, bought the old grist and saw mill located a little southeast of the present mill site and conducted same until the present mill was built in the year 1860.                         See : Biography of John Huegely
early photo of Huegely Mill

      On December 22, 1862 John Huegely purchased 4,000 acres at $800 per acre of railroad property,
Meridian: 3, Range:03W; Township: 01N; Section 34, NE SW (Source: Illinois Public Land Purchase Records)
Circa 1880
Plat Map
Nashville, Illinois
with highlighted area
showing land John Huegely
owned at the time
plat was prepared
(prior to Public School construction)
circa 1880 Plat Map of Nashville, IL.
Four pictures around Huegely Milling Company area
Huegely Milling Co. Barrel lid Barrel Lid of
the Huegely Milling Company
estimated date of around 1900
Huegely's Mill
Huegely's Mill - - 1907
  Huegely's Mill
Huegely's Mill - - 1916
Two photographs from the Harrl Beatty Photograph Collection
The Mill, built in 1859 to 1860, burned in February of 1935
Huegely Co-operative Elevator and Milling Company succeeded the Huegely Milling Company in March of 1936.
Nashville Journal
Nashville, Illinois
February 28, 1935
Fire Completely Destroys Mill; $100,000 Damage
Old Landmark Built by John Huegely Sr.
Blazing Inferno for Hours: "Chick" Evilsizer Critically Injured
      Huegely Mill, a local land-mark since before the civil war, was completely destroyed Tuesday evening in Nashville's most spectacular fire since the blaze of 1883 that wiped out the center block on Main St.
      The fire, starting in the extreme upper tier of the huge building, shortly before six o'clock in the evening, spread downward with the speed of a burning comet when firemen were unable to reach its source with water and within a few minutes the entire west end of the mill proper was a blazing inferno. The loss was estimated at $100,000 most of which was covered by insurance. While it is not known exactly how the fire started, both J. Homer Huegely and Oren Brandis who were among the first on the scene and went up into the mill, were of the opinion that spontaneous combustion was the cause.
      Charles "Chick" Evilsizer, popular coal miner and volunteer fireman was severely injured when he fell more than twenty ft. from the ice coated roof of the warehouse, north of the mill, from which the local fire department was attempting to keep the fire from spreading to the east end where most of the machinery was.
      An examination at the Centralia hospital Wednesday morning revealed that Evilsizer was suffering from severe internal injuries, a badly fractured right arm and shock. He underwent an operation for ruptured intestines at five o'clock last night and this morning his condition was reported as critical.
      Despite heroic efforts of the local firemen, assisted by the Mount Vernon department, the heat and flames from the west end of the building finally broke through the fire wall separating the old and new part of the mill and the red tongues speedily lapped up the rest of the structure.
      From the beginning, effort was concentrated on saving the concrete elevator south of the mill, which contained thousands of bushels of stored wheat and this was accomplished. Mr. Huegely was unable to determine how much wheat was actually lost in the main building until a check could be made from the elevator and they were awaiting the arrival of insurance adjusters for that. It was estimated that approximately 40,000 bushels of wheat were stored in various parts of the mill and the elevator together.
      In addition to the concrete elevator, the warehouse building, containing the main office, was saved. Too much cannot be said for the efforts put forth by the local fire department. Handicapped as they were by equipment and the fact that water had to be obtained from the adjoining mill pond, they did all that was humanly possible. The red hot bricks, smoking beams and twisted pipes today are mute evidence of what might have been saved if we had had waterworks.
First Alarm
      The fire was first discovered by Walter Ahrens, a city fireman, who was walking north on Mill street between five-thirty and six o'clock, when he noticed smoke and flames coming out of the cupola on top of the mill. He ran into Henry Frederking's house to report his discovery and together they rushed across the street to Homer Huegely's home. The latter immediately called the fire department and together with the other men ran for the mill. The fire department was on the scene almost as soon as the group arrived, and together with Oren Brandis, also a member of the fire department, Homer Huegely went up into the uppermost part of the mill, from where they could see the exact location of the fire.
      Because of the height of the fire and the unavoidable delay in having to use the mill pond for water, it was impossible to get water to the source of the fire and it was not long until sparks began to fall from the upper tier and ignite the dust and other dry material stored in the west end of the mill. From then on it was an effort to save as much as possible and for a time it looked like the efforts of the firemen and the thick fire wall might confine the blaze to the west end of the building, but the flames finally broke through and as walls began to fall all around it was not long until the main building was nothing but smoldering ruins.
      Sparks from the fire were seen to fall as far as south of Main street and Wednesday morning pieces of charred timber were picked up at many points far from the scene. The flames and light in the sky were visible for miles around and representatives from nearly every town in the county were present sometime during the evening. One truck driver told a Journal reporter that he first saw the light between Belleville and Mascoutah, a distance of more that 25 miles away. The first wall fell at about eight o'clock, just two hours after the start of the fire, and by ten o'clock parts of all the walls had crumbled. The ruins were still smoldering this morning and it will probably be several days before they are cool enough for inspection.
Suffers Bruises
      H.H. House, prominent attorney, was slightly bruised when he slipped and fell on the ice between the office and the blazing building. He was standing near the office door when suddenly one of the giant iron doors gave way at the mill entrance and blazing wheat came bursting out, causing him involuntarily to step backwards. As he did so his foot slipped and in addition to getting drenched he suffered body bruises.
      Evilsizer's fall happened at about 9:30 and occurred at the north end of the warehouse. There is a porch roof that runs part way the length of the building and "Chick" apparently was under the impression that it ran all the way for he stepped backward along the part of the roof where the porch was not and fell across the railroad loading tracks. He was rushed to Beatty's drug store, where Dr. Schroeder was summoned, and after perfunctory examination was taken to the hospital at Centralia in Hahne's ambulance.
      A highlight of the evening was the serving of lunch and hot coffee to the firemen and other workers by local Boy Scouts around midnight. The following members of the local troop helped out: Melvin Carr, Robert Beckmeyer, Robert Huelsman, Verdall Fox, Jimmie Allen, Jack Lane, Francis and Norman Maxwell, Sidney Finke and Paul Reeder.
Old Landmark
      The history of the Huegely Mill is part of the history of Nashville. At the time of the fire it was operating under the name of The Huegely Milling Company with John Huegely, son of one of the founders as President and his son, J. Homer Huegely, as Secretary and Treasurer. The present mill was built in 1860 by John Huegely, sr. and Philip H. Reither. In 1870 Mr. Huegely became sole owner of the mill and operated it successfully until 1890 when he retired from active business and was succeeded by his sons John, jr., and Julius and his son-in-law Theo. L. Reuter. From their hands the ownership successfully passed to the present owners, John Huegely, jr., and J. Homer Huegely.
      The original mill was a three-story shingle roof building constructed with hand-made bricks made in 1859 by Mr. Huegely, sr.'s brother-in-law. In 1861 the retail room was built and in 1879 the first elevator was put up and another story added. In 1883 the west end elevator was built and in 1911, the concrete structure, which Tuesday night successfully withstood the fire was put up.
      Added to the material loss suffered by the fire was the fact that several large orders for flour were on hand at the present time and the mill had been working at least three days a week since the first of the year after having been operated only intermittently during the past few years.
      In talking to a Journal reporter yesterday morning, J. Homer Huegely said he had no immediate plans for reconstruction and would not be able to give out any details until the insurance adjusters had been there.

Nashville Journal
Nashville, Illinois
June 25, 1936
new Huegely Mill being built
This One Won't Burn Down
      Striking photo of the new all-concrete Huegely Mill which replaces the 77-year-old structure that burned to the ground in Nashville's biggest fire last February. This new addition which includes everything but the all-concrete elevator to the rear, is the latest thing in wheat depots. For example -- 1,000 bushels of wheat an hour can be handled here as compared to between 200-300 bushels at the old mill. This new structure was started last June and the final pieces of machinery necessary to the buying and selling of wheat, flour, feeds, etc. are now being put in. Viewing the picture from left to right, the tall part in front of the automobile is the cleaning section while the small building in front of the men is the main office. From the latter the handling house leads directly into the old elevator which was the only part of the main mill that survived the blaze. A tip of the old warehouse (still standing) can be seen to the left, and the two men shown in the picture are J. H. Huegely, Secretary and Treasurer of the Huegely Milling Company, of which his father, John Huegely, is president and J. E. Thornton of the telephone office, who was making his connections the day the picture was taken. Note the fire plug (part of the new w.w. system) just to the right of the telephone pole. Had it been in operation last February, this present picture might never have been taken. Other photos depicting progress in Nashville will appear in the Journal from time to time. Watch for them.

Nashville News
Nashville, Illinois
June 25, 1936
New Huegely Mill To Open Saturday
      The recently organized Huegely Co-operative Elevator and Milling Company, which last March succeeded the old Huegely Milling Co., has announced that their new plant is now ready for business of buying wheat and that a grand opening will be held Saturday. The new company will be a buying agent for Igleheart Bros., Inc. makers of the famous Swansdown products. They will be exclusive distributors of the products, both retail and wholesale in this vicinity. The Huegely firm has not been fully active in trade since fire destroyed the mill in 1935. The new plant which was completed several months ago, is an entirely modern fire-proof, concrete structure and is equipped with new fixtures and machinery.
      The plan of the new co-operative, which has been approved by the Federal government, will consist in giving every producer of any soil product one share of common stock upon his first visit to the mill. Patronage dividends are payable on this common stock in proportion to the volume of business done with the company. Meetings of the stockholders will be held at least once per year, at which time three of the directors will be elected by the producers. Every shareholder will be entitled to one vote, except those who hold both a share of preferred and common stock. Those will have two votes. No producer will be eligible to hold more than one share of common stock, giving all shareholders an equal voice in the company. At a meeting held in February the following officers were elected for the ensuing year: John Huegely, president; H.H. House, vice president; J. H. Huegely, secretary. The directors in addition to the above officers are: B. B. Holston, W. C. Meinert, J. L. Beek, Fred H. Schorfheide, Elmer Hake and Byron House.
      The public is invited to visit the new mill on opening day. Note the prizes offered in the Huegely advertisement on page 6 of this issue.

Huegely Elevator Company
Photographs from
Harrl Beatty Photograph Collection
Huegely Elevator
Huegely Elevator
Huegely Elevator

© 2014 - 2015     Wayne Hinton
Genealogy Trails logo
Return to : Washington County