The good ship "Nashville" High School, " had its beginnings in a building that had been constructed by the Presbyterians for an Academy.
Early shipmates were taught here until 1874 when a grade school building was erected.
This building and furnishings cost about $30,000. The Board of Directors, under whose administration, the structure was erected consisted of Hugh C. Adams,
Justus Baab and Frederick Hoffman. The first principal to take charge was C. T. Stratton.
The Board of Directors in 1879 was composed of James Garvin, P. E. Hosmer, John Huegley, P. H. Reuter, W. S. Hisey and J. W. Burgess. The teachers were
G. W. Atterberry, Principal; Tenie Barton, Clara Watson, Jennie Candee, Rebecca Henson, Cornelia Shepher, Edith Preston, Alverta Peters, Mary Krumsiek,
and Rudolph von Phleger.
The course of study consisted of the branches prescribed by laws of Illinois and, in addition, algebra, geometry, trigonometry, rhetoric, general history,
German and Latin.
In 1891 the ship had the misfortune of catching on fire and it was impossible to save it. On July 9, 1891, the cornerstone of the present grade school building
was laid with Masonic Ceremonies by Grand Master John Pearson under the auspices of Washington County Lodge 55. The christening of the new ship was
a big event in Nashville and the grade and high school classes were held in this building for many years. In 1925, the number of voyagers had increased to
such an extent that it was necessary to add another deck to the ship, the present high school building. this is a building that Nashville can point to with pride.
The students are adequately housed and there are enough teachers to fill the scholastic requirements of the state.
The most recent addition to our ship is the new gymnasium, which has a seating capacity of 1500 and is equipped with a stage at the east end, where all school
plays and operettas are presented.
The Board of Education at the present time consists of Ed Schmitt, president; Oscar Kirchhoefer, secretary; Fred W. Prasuhn, Ralph Maxwell, J. D. Mann,
Dr. F. W. Schroeder and Howard Hohman.
Mr. J. Lynn Wilson, Superintendent of Nashville Public Schools with the assistance of the faculty, has successfully carried the ship N. H. S. and its voyagers
over many seas.