Genealogy Trails Illinois title
Washington County, Illinois
Return to : Washington County Genealogy Trails logo

Okawville
and some of the
Landmarks & History

 
Okawville
Looking North from Railroad Tracks Okawville
Probably Circa early 1900s
 
Residence, Looking North on Front Street
Okawville Front Street
Postcard - Probably Circa early 1900s
 
Photographs courtesy of Frank Absher
 

 
Harrl Beatty Photograph Collection
Courtesy of Larry & Jo House
 
South Okawville Hotel; Okawville, Illinois
South Okawville Hotel
Okawville, Illinois

 

 

 
Okawville Grade School
Okawville Grade School
Photograph courtesy of Frank Absher
 

 
Louisville & Nashville Railroad
L & N railroad depot
L & N Station
 
L & N railroad depot 2
L & N Station
 
L & N railroad depot 2
rear view of L & N Station
 
L & N railroad depot rear view
L & N Station office
C. A. Absher, Agent
 
C. A. Absher
C. A. Absher, L & N Station Agent
 
Photographs courtesy of Frank Absher
 

 
John Frank
 
John Frank Homestead
John Frank Homestead in 1948
Photograph is of a house built by John F. Frank in the early 1880s.
 
Photograph courtesy of Frank Absher

 
Louis Frank
 
Louis Frank home in 1943 Louis Frank
Louis Frank Family Residence in 1943
 
Louis Frank Store
Store
 
Louis Frank Family
Louis Frank family & friends' picnic at Okaw Bottoms
 
Louis Frank Family
Louis Frank family & friends' picnic
 
Louis Frank Family
John & L. F. Frank, Ochs & Haller families - 1908
 
Photographs courtesy of Frank Absher
 

 
Dry Goods & Notions
Store

H. Klauke
Klauke Store

 
Klauke Store Complex in 1948
Photograph courtesy of Frank Absher
 

 
Okawville Mill
Okawville Mill office
John F. Frank - Will Frank
 
Photograph courtesy of Frank Absher
 

 
Okawville Picnic
1910
 
Okawville Picnic
 
Okawville Picnic No. 2
 
Okawville Picnic No. 3
 
Photographs courtesy of Frank Absher
Frank states : "Judging from the fact that all children are seated at the long tables, I am guessing it's a school picnic, possibly at Washington Lake in Okawville."

 
Old Rock Inn in 1979
 
Okawville Civil War Landmark to be Razed
By Grover Brinkman
Date Article Written or Appeared Unknown (About 1979)
      This landmark building, erected of sandstones hauled by horse and wagon from nearby Plum Creek during Civil War days, is finally getting the headache ball. Presumably the building was erected by the late Carl Schulze, Okawville miller and merchant, whose mill stood near the site.
 
      George Rehbein, 87-year-old retiree of Okawville, said he remembered his father, William Rehbein, tell that he had helped in the rock hauling, the task prolonged by the war. A German mason, whose name is forgotten, laid the sandstone and mortised the walls. Evidently he did a good job, for they have stood for 115 years before proving dangerous.
 
      In its long life, the building housed at least two general stores, a funeral parlor, a hardware establishment operated by the late Jonas Smith; a saddle and harness shop operated by Sam Krebs; a tonsorial parlor, and ended up as a tavern known as Old Rock Inn.
 
      The late C.A. Absher, L&N agent of Okawville, once purchased the building for $1,200, and the late Harry Sale, one of the owners, once was featured as a pianist in various St. Louis big bands, and on the riverboats.
Photo & Article Furnished by Jo House
The Nashville News
Nashville, Illinois
July 28, 2010
 
In the July 28, 2010 issue of The Nashville News there was mention that this building was torn down that week.
It also stated that it was built in 1865.

 
The Washington Hotel
The Washington Hotel,Okawville
Postcard - Unknown date
 
The Washington Hotel
The Washington Hotel,Okawville
Postcard - 1908
 
Photographs courtesy of Frank Absher

The Washington Springs Nursing Home
a Grover Brinkman photograph, 1977

The Washington Springs Nursing Home,Okawville
Newspaper article and photograph courtesy of Myrene Alfeldt
 
Southern Illinois Landmark Being Razed
By Grover Brinkman

      The block-long three-story building shown here, with a four-story annex will soon be razed, destroying a Southern Illinois landmark since the turn of the century. The all-frame building at Okawville for long years was the Washington Springs Hotel.
 
      When the hotel closed, it was converted into the Washington Springs Nursing Home, under the management of Leo and Bert Cohn. The nursing home was sold to Robert Hammond of Highland, who is in charge of demolishing the same.
 
      In its heyday, Southern Illinoisians from a wide area sojourned here, enjoyed its mineral baths, and drank copious amounts of water from a spring. The spring, incidently, is still in use. Mineral water was shipped on a nationwide basis, and at its peak as a spa, it was comparable to some of the springs offered at the Arkansas resorts.

 

© 2009 - 2013     Wayne Hinton
Genealogy Trails logo

Return to : Washington County