Bridget Hughes Hospital
Nashville, Washington County, Illinois.
For less than a dozen years was the life of this worthwhile endeavor to provide medical care for the residents of Washington County
From the autumn of 1910 to the summer of 1922 this 25 bed hospital provided services to the county.
It started in 1907 with a bequeath from the estate of Bridget Hughes, a hard working domestic servant. A $5000.00 corporation
was able to begin within three years.
During 1912, Dr. J. J. Troutt was the President of the Board of Directors.
On November 11, 1913, Miss Dora Brydon became superintendent of nurses at the Bridget Hughes Hospital
and remained there until the United States entered the first World War.
The building remained a dominant feature of the business district in Nashville for many years. Near the western end of the first block of West Main Street
located on the south side and with the grounds rising to a superior level above Main Street, the building was almost a landmark. As a very recognizable
three story building in a primary location, it was used by the Washington County Farm Bureau until being razed.
The daughter of Patrick Hughes was born in February of 1850 in Ireland. At the tender age of twelve
years old, she immigrated to the United States on the Ship Genl McClelland, sailing from Ireland to New York. The ship arrived in New York on
December 12, 1863.
On the 1870 US census, Bridget Hughes is listed as residing at Township 1, Range 3, Washington County, Illinois.
On the 1900 US Census, Bridget Hughes is listed as residing in Okawville, Washington County, Illinois.
She died September 7, 1907 in Washington County, Illinois.
Masonic Cemetery records state she was born April 15, 1851.
|Masonic Cemetery, Nashville, Illinois|
Died Sept. 7th, 1907.
Age 57 Yrs. and 6 Ds.
She graduated from the Eileen Osborn Training School at St. Louis in 1911 and
returned to Mt. Vernon, Illinois to serve as a private duty nurse. Then, on November 11, 1913,
she became superintendent of nurses at the Bridget Hughes Hospital at Nashville, Ill.,
and remained there until the United States entered the first World War. At that time,
she was the first Mt. Vernon nurse to volunteer for service in the war and, in November
of 1918, she was sent to a hospital at Ft. Oglethorpe, Georgia.
Source : Obituary of Miss Dora Brydon
Dr. J. J. Troutt : See : Doctors of Washington County