Finding Illinois Ancestors at Genealogy Trails

White County
Illinois

Genealogy and History



line
Church Histories
line


First Church Founded In Carmi Was Presbyterian
By James A. Fry, Pastor

The First Presbyterian Church of Carmi was founded on Nov. 25,1827, making it the first Church in our city. The present brick structure was built in 1893 and the educational building was dedicated on June 9,1957.

Charter members: Benjamin Spilman, Richard Graham, Josiah Stewart, Nancy Stewart, Nancy Blue, Sarah Graham, Robert H. Morris, Phoebe Morris, Elenor Pomeroy, Joseph Pomeroy, Mary Wilson, Margaret Wilson, Samuel T. Boyd and Eliza Ann Boyd. Church membership now: around 350.

Until after 1850 meetings of this congregation were held at the Old Courthouse or in private homes. Then the Presbyterians and Methodists shared a church building until 1866 when a new house of worship was built on the present church site. So the present sanctuary is only the second building of Presbyterian worship.

For over 135 years this congregation has witnessed to the Christian faith in the Reformed tradition. Our achievements bear witness to themselves, as well as our failures. Many prominent names in the annals of White County History are to be found on the records of the First Presbyterian Church of Carmi and of other Presbyterian churches in the county.

We do not so much look to the past, as we stand in the present and look to the future that our congregation might "preach an ancient gospel to a modern world."



Maunie General Baptist Church
By Mrs. Ethel Roser

The General Baptist Church of Maunie was organized in 1897 under the pastorate of the Rev. Ed Moore. The meetings were held in the various homes and also in the lower part of the I.O.O.F. Hall. The church was built in 1898 and dedicated by the Rev. J.R. Edwards of Owensville, Indiana. The Rev. Ed Moore was the pastor. The Missionary Society was organized in 1918 and is still assistance to the church. The church has had several booming years; but owing to the progress of time, improved machinery requiring less labor force and the death and removal of several members, the membership and the congregations are smaller than in former time. The present pastor is the Rev. C.S. Weasel of Enfield.
[Submitted by Janean Ray]

Union Ridge Church

The Union Ridge church was organized in 1822. Samuel Dagley and Moses Blazier were the first Church Elders.

Richard Harris was the first Pastor.

R.M. Davis was ordained Pastor in 1855 and served there for 52 years.

[Submitted by Penny Feigel]






Concord Methodist Church
Concord Methodist church sign
The Concord Methodist Church was established in 1866.
The church was erected in 1900.

The Emma cemetery sits directly east of the church on 700 N., and the old cemetery is between the houses going into the town of Concord.

 

Concord Methodist White county, illinois

The bell that sits in front of the church today is from the old school house that used to sit in front of the church. (The Old School House)



Lick Creek Baptist Church sign

Lick Creek Baptist Church

The site of the Lick Creek Church located in Iron.
1820 - 2002





Chapmans Grove Church

Chapman's Grove Church

Outreach for Christ Tabernacle

Outreach for Christ Tabernacle
Located in Brownsville

 


Primitive Baptist Church
1856




Primitive Baptist Church in White County, IL






BACK -- HOME



Copyright © Genealogy Trails