Joel M. Abshier
Robert W. Boyd
John S. Brumblay
George W. Clark
James A. Clark
James J. Corcoran
Jarret Mc Calliter
Weslley Mc Callister
Henry H. Mc Mullen
Nathaniel Mc Mullen
William P. Mc Murtry, M.D.
Josiah L. Nelson
James Madison Pumroy
R. Coleman Seals
George W. Taylor
|From the History of White County Illinois, 1883
This township embraces a fine farming district, and is situated in the southeastern corner of White County. It comprises fifty-eight square miles, and consists of township 6 south, range 10 east, and the north half of township 7 south, range 10 east. It is mostly timbered land, with some prairie land near the center. The Great Wabash River bounds it on the east, while the Little Wabash runs through the western portion. The Louisville & Nashville Railroad crosses the Big Wabash in the northeastern corner of the township.
The first settler was probably Robert Land, who moved here with his wife and four children in 1809, a more extended account of whom is given in Chapter II. Among the early settlers may be mentioned James Dorsey, Miles W. Burris, Joseph Garrison, Charles Mobley, George Alexander and Thomas Logan.
Aaron Franks, now a resident of Wabash Station, came to this county in 1832. He was born in West Virginia, about fifty miles below Wheeling; after living in Ohio about thirteen years, he came to this county, settling about half a mile southeast of where Wabash Station now is, during the Black Hawk war. His nearest neighbors at that time were Thomas Stephens, about a quarter of a mile west of him, in the little prairie; Mr. Goodin and his son Joseph, about a quarter of a mile distant; John Holderby, also in the little prairie; and Joel Abshier. All these are now deceased.
Mr. Franks is still living, his residence being on the bank of the Big Wabash, 200 or 300 yards from the saw-mill. To him we are indebted for some of the facts of history in this volume, especially those relating to improvement of navigation in the Wabash.
John Marshall, of Marshall's Ferry, is also an old resident, and one of the most prominent men of the township. He has in his possession a sword, which is one of those ordered by the State of Illinois and presented to the officers of the Mexican war. It has this inscription: "Presented to Major Samuel D.Marshall for services in the Mexican war." The sword is beautifully engraved, the battle of Cerro Gordo being represented on one side. It is very heavily plated with gold, as is also the scabbard, the whole being encased in satin in a fine rosewood case. He was an intimate friend of Abraham Lincoln; was in the Legislature with him one term, and was with him on the Harrison electoral ticket in 1840. John Marshall has in his possession a letter from Mr. Lincoln written in February, 1849, to Major Samuel D. Marshall, Shawneetown, Ill.
There are also many relics of antiquity found in this township. Two skeletons were recently found on Colonel Crebs's land at the Little Chain,supposed to be those of Indians; how they came there no one knows.
Concord, Emma P. O. At the first settlement of Southern Illinois, Concord was the garden spot of Egypt. She had her Logans, Lands, Slocumbs, Hannas, Nevitts. Shipleys, Pomeroys, McCoys, and other families of great worth. Rev. Charles Slocumb was one of the grandest men in the whole community. George Logan was one of the ablest men in Southern Illinois. He represented White County in the Legislature with great ability. These are the men, with many others, that felled the forest and reared the first houses in what to-day is known as Emma Township.
It was laid out Sept. 23,1869, by Hail Storms, County Surveyor, for Matilda Shelby, John G. Robinson, James M. Jackson and Medora M. Jackson, and is located on the northeast quarter of the northeast quarter of section 29, town 6 south, range 10 east. The village had existed long before this survey, and had been a point of considerable note. It is stated that Charles and Stephen Slocumb settled here as early as 1815, and that a thriving village existed; but after their death the property changed hands a number of times, and now J. McCallister owns a greater part of the village. There are two general stores, one owned by Mr. McCallister and the other by William II. Gray; one blacksmith shop, a wagon repair shop, also a warehouse on the banks of the Wabash, where considerable grain is purchased. An office has been built here for the use of the township. Wm. R. McDonald owns the north half of the village, and has lots for sale. It was named by Rev. Charles Slocumb, as of peaceful or religious significance.