Henry Cramer, merchant, Fourth Street, Sterling, was born Oct. 8, 1824, in Pennsylvania. His parents were Christian and Hannah (Miller) Cramer, residents upon a farm. Mr. Cramer, the sixth child in a family of ten sons and four daughters, remained at home until of age, receiving a common-school education. He was then a day laborer for many years, through the winter carrying on the butchering business. He came West in 1864, settling in Sterling, this county, where he has since resided. He opened his grocery store in 1880, commencing on the small capital of $117. At the present time he carries a stock of $2,000, and runs a delivery wagon to all parts of the city, and also to Rock Falls. His trade is prospering in all its branches. Previous to engaging in mercantile business he purchased his residence, the west half of lots 7,8 and 9, block 21, east of Broadway, and just east of the old American House. Mr. Cramer is a representative business man of Sterling, a member of the Methodist Church, and in politics a Republican.
He was married Nov. 27, 1844, to Annie Smith, and they have had nine children living, and all married, as follows: Mahala A. married Martin R. Watson, and has seven children living: Laura, Biga, Horace, Lillie B.,Guy, Jeffy and Martie; William H. married Elzabeth Brenbarger, and had by that marriage three children,--Minnie, Charles and Wilber; he afterward married Lucy Daniel, a native of Kansas City, and by the present union there is one son, Frank; Emanuel married Anna Heckerman, a native of Pennsylvania, and they had one child, named Mabel; by his first wife he was the parent of two sons, Walter and Charles; Isaac D. married Belle Morgan, a native of Sterling, and their three children are Daisy, Mertie and Tinie; Benjamin F. married Ada Swartzbaugh; John C. married Susie Stout, a native of Pennsylvania, and their three children are Rilla, Clifton and Lotta; Joseph M. married Ella Burgess, a native of Iowa; Mary H. became the wife of David Stookey, a native of Iowa, and they have two children, Guy and Emma; Sarah E. is now Mrs. Sargenas Williams, and the mother of two children, Anna and Earl. Mrs. Cramer is also a member of the Methodist Church.
Whiteside County History 1885