of Albany, Whiteside Co IL
Ivy Buck was born at Nassau, Rensselaer county, New York, March 22, 1801, and went at an early age to Ellicottville, Cattaraugus county York, where he remained until 1837, when he moved to Albany, in this county and continued to reside there until his death which occurred a few years ago. Mr. Buck married Miss Mary Pindar, a native of Scoharie, New York at Worcester, Otsego county, New York, June 6, 1827. She is also dead. The children of this marriage are Melinda, born at Franklinville, N. Y., Mar 1828; Stephen, born at Franklinville, N.Y. November 28, 1838, and Edwin H. born at Albany, Illinois, October 9, 1844. Melinda married Stephen B Slocumb, and resides in Newton, Whiteside county; Stephen married Mary Mitchell and resides at Clinton, Iowa, and Edwin H., married Ella M. Rexroad, resides at Fulton, Whiteside county. Mr. Buck was a captain of a militia company, and held various town offices in Ellicottville, N. Y., and after moving to Albany was elected a Justice of the Peace and served in that capacity about eighteen years. He was a mason by trade, and put up a number of buildings in Albany. He also kept a store for several years and at one time owned the ferry across the Mississippi river, bctween Albany and Camanche, and ran a steam ferry boat. During his residence in Whiteside he took an active part in advancing the interests of the county. [Bent & Wilson History of Whiteside County]
CLINTON C. BUELL
of Montmorency Township
C. Buell, one of the citizens of Whiteside County who has become distinguished through the merits of his efforts in whatever he has undertaken, is a farmer on section 8, Montmorency Township, and has been prominent in the advancement of the agricultural interests of the county and State since he became a resident here in 1865. He was one of the first to introduce Jersey cattle in Whiteside County and was at the outset the subject of frequent derision on account of the stunted appearance of his "Alderneys" but he has passed to the last of the three stages which the leader in a novel project must undergo - derision, possibility and practicability, and proved that he who "laughs last, laughs best."
Mr. Buell was born in Lebanon, Madison Co., N. Y., March 22, 1828. He is the second son and fourth child of Elijah and Polly (Higgins) Buell. His parents were born in the State of New York, and settled in Madison County, where they lived during the entire period of their married lives. The grandparents Thomas and Irene (Blodgett) Buell came from Western Massachusetts. Elijah Buell was a man of earnest piety, which he carried into practice under all circumstances He was in the habit of making a yearly call on each family in the town where he lived, for prayer and religious Conversation. He met with uniform courtesy and was always received with kindly consideration, even by infidels and others who differed with him in religious opinions. He was for many years a Deacon in the Baptist Church. His death occurred May 16, 1854. His wife died July 29, 1856. Their children were named Mary A., Irene B., Hiram E., Clinton C. and Ira W. Until he was I7, Mr. Buell attended the common schools of his native town. He then attended Hamilton Academy, in Hamilton, N. Y., for some time, and in 1850 entered the Sophomore class of Madison University, matriculating in the third term. He commenced teaching a common school at 18 years of age, and during his entire preparatory and undergraduate course, with the exception of one term, gave instruction to classes either in the Academy or in the Preparatory Department of the University, thereby meeting the expenses of his own education. About the middle of his Senior year he was elected Principal of the Hamilton Academy, but retained his standing in his class by extra labor, and at graduation in 1852 received the "first honors" of his class, as he had also done at the Junior exhibition the preceding year.
He continued Principal of the Academy about four years and until the burning of its principal building. He then founded and conducted for four years the "Hamilton Female Seminary," which graduated during the time 39 young ladies from a course of study as thorough and complete as was then to be found. The seminary was established as a stock enterprise, a fatal weakness, which in the crisis of 1857 and in the unprosperous years preceding and following, brought financial disaster to Mr. Buell, and in 1857 he separated his connection with the seminary, but in a manner entirely honorable to all Concerned. Collecting the merest fragments of what had been a comfortable property, Mr. Buell, in the fall of 1859, removed with his family to Anamosa, Jones Co., Iowa, where he established a trade in groceries and provisions, and also a lumber agency, which were a marked success from the outset, and he soon found himself at the head of his line of traffic in that city. The events of the spring and summer of 1861 engaged his interested attention, and in the fall of that year he sold his business preparatory to entering the military service of the United States. He raised about two-thirds of a Company of volunteers for the 14th Iowa Infantry, and was elected its Captain; but in the organization of the regiment it became necessary to Consolidate the companies, and his command was merged in another. In view of his qualifications as a business man, he was offered the position of Regimental Quartermaster, with the rank of First Lieutenant, and served three years. After the first three months' service with his regiment he was almost constantly on duty by special order as Acting A. Q. M., or as Acting A. C. S. His Brigade was the first to scale the ramparts of Fort Donelson and as a mark of honor occupied the barracks of this fort, after its surrender the captured stores being taken possession of and accounted for by Lieut Buell.
An epitome of Lieut. Buell's service in the Civil War would be about as follows:
In the fall of 1861 he raised a company as Captain and was mustered into service as First Lientenant and R. Q. M., 14th Iowa Inf. Vols. Equipped the regiment at Camp McClellan, Iowa, and at Benton Barracks, Mo., fall and early winter of 1861. Was Acting A. Q. M. and Acting A. C. S. at Fort Donelson, Same at Pittsburg Landing, or Shiloh, in the sprin: of 1862 was ordered on recruiting service at Camp McClellan, Davenport, Iowa, in August, 1862, and on reporting was immediately ordered on duty as Quartermaster and Commissary of the Post. At his own request he was ordered to join regiment in the field at Cairo, Ill., in the spring of 1863. Served with the regiment at Cairo, Ill., and Columbus, Ky in the summer and fall of 1863, in the meantiime building extensive barracks and military prisons at Columbus. Thence, in the winter of 1863-4, he went to Vicksburg, Miss., thence to Meridian on what is known as "Sherman's raid to Meridian, serving as A. A. Q. M. Thence, in the spring of 1864, on Banks' expedition up Red River in Gen. A.J. Smith's Corps. Thence returning to Memphis Tenn., and making two expeditions into Mississippi as A. A. C. S. of Gen A. J. Smith's Corps, on one on one of which occurred the battle of Tupelo. Thence fron Memphis to Jefferson Barracks, Mo., as A. A. Q. M. in charge of the entire Quartermaster's Department of the Left Wing of the 16th Army Corps. Thence in the pursuit of Price through Missouri to the Kansas line. Thence to St. Louis, Missouri, and Davenport, Iowa, to be mustered out, in November 1864.
Lieut. Buell was present at the important battle of Fort Donelson, Shiloh, siege of Corinth, Fort De Kussey, La., Pleasant Hill, La., Old Oaks, La., and Tupelo, Miss., not to mention numerous smaller engagements and skirmishes. The position of A. Q. M. and a Captain's commission were at one time open to him, but he declined to seek them, the folly of which act he did not at that time see.
In the winter and spring of 1864-5 Mr. Buell engaged in business in Sterling, Ill., in which, owing to circumstances connected with the close of the war, he was again a heavy loser. In the summer of 1865, associated with Capt. J. W. Niles, he bought a half section of unimproved prairie land, of which, changed by some additions and subtractions by purchase and sale, he is now the owner. He ascribes his success during the last 15 years entirely to the dairy business, to which he has given persistent and thorough attention. He has been an efficient promoter of the dairy interests through active membership in different dairymen's associations, and has contributed largely to the practical literature relating to the dairy industry in the Northwest. Mr. Buell delivered the first annual address before the Illinois State Grange, and also wrote the historical sketch of the Grange for the State Agricultural Report for 1873. That report presents his ideas of the possibilities of that institution. In the fall of 1866 he received an application to take charge of the Third Ward School at Sterling, and he filled the position two terms, afterward assuming the management of the Second Ward School, which he organized and conducted about three years. Mr. Buell was married July 21, 1853, in Madison Co., N. Y., to Mary A., daughter of John and Sarah (Mosely) Niles. Mrs. Buell was born Nov. 5, 1828, in Madison County, of which her parents were also natives. They came to Whiteside County in 1869, and for several years were members of the family of their daughter. Later on, they removed to Sterling, where they died. The decease of the father took place Nov. 23, 1882. That of the mother occurred Sept. 1, 1884. Their children were A. Mosely, Sarah S., Susan A., Mary A., John W., Harvey, Anna H. and S. Wheeler. Mr. and Mrs. Buell have lost three - children by death. They were named John E., Ira J. and Mary A. Four children are still living, named Jewett C., Fred, Charles C., Jr., and Sarah I. The portrait of Mr. Buell will be cordially received by the patrons of the Whiteside COunty Album. His record in three of the noblest States of the Union reflects credit of no ordinary degree upon his abilities as a scholar, patriot and man of business. He is a representative of the best type of the American citizen, who surpasses the men of all other nationalities in versatility of powers and who can achieve equal success in diverse avenues of business. Mr. Buell's portrait which appears on a previous page is a copy of a likeness taken in 1885. [1885 Portrait and Biographical Whiteside Co Pg 397]
C. C. Buell was born in Madison county, New York, in 1828, and was educated at the Madison University, New York, He was valedictorian at the Junior exhibition of his class, and also at the graduation, and was teacher for eight years in Hamilton-four years as Principal of Hamilton Academy, and four years as Principal of Hamilton Female Seminary. Upon coming West Mr.Buell settled in Anamosa, Jones county, Iowa, from which place he entered Union army in 1861, as First Lieutenant and Regimental Quartermaster of 14th Iowa volunteers, raising by his own instrumentality nearly a whole company for the service, He was afterwards promoted to be Assistant Adjutant Quartermaster, and held the position during most of the civil war, being with Gen. Lanman at the battle of Fort Donelson, and with other commanding officers at Pittsburg Landing, Corinth, and Meridian. He was also with Gen. Banks in the Red River expedition, and was especially named in the report of the commanding officer at the battle of Pleasant Hill, Louisiana, for galantry while in charge of an ammunition wagon, in hauling it from the field in face of the advancing line of the enemy, and saving from capture a piece of artillery belonging to a New York battery, which had been abandoned by all save a single officer. Following this expedition, he was afterwards at the battle of Tupelo, and other less important engagements, finishing his term of service the staff of Gen. A. J. Smith, in the pursuit of Price in Missouri. Since the war he has been a resident of Montmorency township, engaged for most of time in the occupation of a farmer, making the dairy business a specialty. He returned, however, to his former occupation as a teacher for a short time, teaching three years in Sterling, during which time he organized the Second Ward school in the new school building. As a citizen Mr. Buell has taken an active part in the public enterprises of the day. He has been an influential member of the Order of Patrons of Husbandry, and delivered the first annual address before the State Grange of Illinois. He has also read leading papers before the State Farmers’ Association, Dairymen’s Conventions, etc., and contributed many articles to newspapers on subjects pertaining to these pursuits, among which was the article on the Patrons of Husbandry, published in the Transactions of the Department of Agriculture of the State of Illinois in 1872. Mr. Buell succeeded the Hon. Tyler McWhorter as Supervisor from the township of Moutmorency, and has been twice re-elected. [1877 Bent & Wilson]
BION B. BULL
Bion B. Bull, a farmer residing on section 34, Ustick Twp. is a son of John W. and Hulda (Wilson) Bull, and was born in the township in which he at present resides, Sept. 19, 1858. For a sketch of his father, see biography of J.W. Bull in another part of this work. Bion B. Bull, the subject of this biographical notice, was rearedon his farmer's far, where he ramained alternating his labors thereon by attendance at the common schools, until he attained the age of 19 years, when he set forth upon the sea of adversity to fight the battles of life along. He worked out by the month farming, and continued that vocation for about three years, in the State ofIowa, after which he returned to Ustick Twp., and rented land, which he cultivated for his own individual benefit. He has, since boyhood days or until the age spoken of, been constantly engaged in agricultural pursuits. Mr. Bull was united in marriage in Ustick Twp., Feb. 26, 1885, to Miss Maggie, daughter of James and Jane (McKee) Jemison. She was born in Ustick Twp. Jan. 17, 1864. Politically Mr. Bull is an advocate of the Republican party.[Transcribed by Marji Turner from Portraits & Biographical History of Whiteside 1885 Pg. 759]
JOHN P. BULL
of Genesee Twp, Whiteside Co IL
John P. Bull, farmer, section 2 Genesee Township, was born Nov. 11, 1833, in Wysox Township, Bradford Co., Pa. Ebenezer Bull (2d), his father was born in Orange Co., N.Y., and was of English and German extraction. John Bull, father of the latter, and son of Ebenezer Bull (1st), removed with his family to Bradford County, going on foot and transporting their effects on pack-horses. Ebenezer Bull (1st) was, in all probability, one of the earliest settlers in the American colonies. Ebenezer Bull (2d) married Wealthy Wheeler, who was born in Vermont. She died in Pennsylvania, in 1842, when she as 41 yers of age. Mr. Bull came in 1858 to Wysox Township, Carroll Co., Ill., whither his father came with part of the family. He was nine years old when his mother died,and he is the only son. He was married in Genesee Township, Dec. 20, 1860, to Mary E., daughter of James and Elizabeth (Hills) Scoville, Her parents were born in the State of New York, and in youth went to Pennsylvania. They were married in Erie County. Subsequent to their marriage they settled in Henry Co., Ill., remaining there but a short time, and going to the township of Wysox, as stated. Mrs. Bull was born there Dec. 7, 1841. When she was 10 years of age her parents came to Genesee Township. Four children were born to Mr. and Mrs. Bull and two are deceased, -- Willie L. and an infant. Millie was born Nov. 18, 1861 and married David Ruth, of Milledgeville, Carroll Co., Ill. Myrtie was born Feb. 1, 1869. After their marriage, Mr. anmd Mrs. Bull took possession of 40 acres of land in Wysox Township, belonging to his father, which they occupied for two years. At the end of that time they removed to section 2, Genesee Township, where Mr. Bull purchased 80 acres of land. To this he has added a later purchase of 40 acres and has converted to the farm into a profitable and valuable piece of property. The farm buildings are of good character and the residence is in every way suitable to the premises. The place is finely stocked. Mr. Bull is a Republican of positive metal, and sustains by his influence and actions the issues of the party. [Portrait and Biographical Album of Whiteside County, Illinois; Chapman Bros., 1885, pg 732]
JOHN W. BULL
John W. Bull, farmer, section 32, Ustick Township, is the son of Abraham and Betsey (Wolcott) Bull, who were born respectively in Vermont and New York, and who were the parents of four children,-John W., Benjamin, Elzina and Lyman. The oldest son was born April 26, 1822, in Watertown, Jefferson Co., N.Y. Until he was 15 years of age he attended the common schools, and since that time he has been engaged in farming most of the time. In July, 1854, he came to Whiteside County, fixing his residence in Ustick Township. He owns about 166 acres of land and has improved 125 acres. In political faith he is not the adherent of any party; he has held several official positions, and is a member of the Masonic Order. Mr. Bull has been married three times. Huldah Wilson, of Orange Co., N.Y., became his wife May 22, 1849. She was born July 13, 1827, in Jefferson Co., N.Y., and became the mother of four children, Ellen M., Wilson B., Bion B. and Adela B. She died July 6, 1863, in Ustick Township. Mr. Bull was a second time married, in Ustick Township, to Philena Gordon. She was born in Lewis Co., N.Y., and died Feb. 12, 1874, leaving three children,-Benjamin, Abraham and Ezra. Mr. Bull was again married May 19, 1877, in Fulton, Ill., to Isabella Gatton, a native of Carroll Co., Ill., where she was born Dec. 15, 1851. Of the last marriage three children have been born, named Charles J., George S. and Fred W. [Contributed by Debbie Thormahlen - Portraits & Biographical Whiteside County IL 1885 Pg. 201]
WILSON B. BULL
Wilson B. Bull, farmer, section , Union Grove Township, is a son of J. W. and Hulda (Wilson) Bull. He was born in Ustick Township, this county, June 25, 1855, and was reared to manhood on his father’s farm, receiving the advantages of the common schools. At the age of 22 years, Mr. Bull left the parental homestead and "worked out" for about 14 months. He then rented his father’s farm, which he cultivated for one year, then rented a farm of Mrs. Sally Martin and cultivated that four years. He has since rented various farms in the county, and is at this writing (1885) cultivating a farm of the northeast quarter of section 9. Mr. Bull was united in marriage Feb 26, 1879, to Miss Eva M., daughter of B. P. and Adelia (Greenlee) Baker, in Ustick Township, and in which township Mrs. B.’s parents still reside. Mrs. Bull was born in Union Grove Township, Nov. 28, 185. She and her husband are the parents of three children, namely, Huldah M., Roy W. and Gertrude. Politically, Mr. Bull is a Republican, and socially belongs to the I.O.O.F. [Transcribed by Marji Turner from Portraits & Biographical History of Whiteside 1885 Pg. 565]
RUFUS M. BULLOCK
Of Tampico, Whiteside Co IL
Rufus M. Bullock, gneeral farmer andlong one of the leading and prominent citizens of Whiteside, County and residing upon sections 29 and 32, Tampico Township, was born in bristol Co. Mass. Jan. 26, 1816 and when a year old his parents removed to Ontario Co., NY, where they passed the remainder of their days, honored and respected people. Our subject was reared upon the farm in Ontario County and attended the public schools, obtaining a good common-school education. At the age of 20 he left his parental home and began teaching school first in Ontario County, then in Massachusetts and then in Michigan. In 1851 he came farther West and located in Rockton, Winnebago Co IL where he built the first cheese-factory in the county, being among the first to inauguate the business in Northern IL. After running the factory for three years he sold it and came to Tampico, desiring to change his business. He settled upon 160 acres of land which he had previously purchased and which he still occupies. He is now the proprietor of 360 acres altogether, which is mostly improved. He has a finely equipped farm and a well furnished farmer's home and in the declining years of his life enjoys the well earned fruits of anenergetic and successful career. In political views he is a Republican, and he has been Township Clerk. As to religion, both Mr. and Mrs. B. are consistent members of the Baptist Church. Mrs. Bullock's father and three of her brothers were Baptist ministers. Mr. Bullock was fist married Bristol Co. Mass. March 4, 1844 to Phebe H. Gulliver, who was born in that county, Jan. 17, 1820 and died at her home in Richmond, Ontario Co. NY Nov. 13, 1845. He was again married in Livingston Co NY Sept. 16, 1846 to Olive W. Purinton, who was born in Cortland Co NY Feb. 21, 1819. She is the daughter of Rev. Thomas Purinton, a Baptist clergyman. By this marriage eight children have been born, for of whom have died. Those still living are Mary M, the wife of Mr. Potter; Eudora E. at home; Ida M. the wife of Frank B. Thomas; and Mrs. Carrie A. Morgan. The deceased are Phebe J., Edith E and two infants. [Portraits & Biographical 1885 Pg 669]
JOSEPH W. BUMP
Joseph W Bump, farmer, Clyde Township, resident on section 27, was born June 16, 183, in De Ruyter Township, Madison Co., N. Y. His father and mother, Marcus and Mary A (Winegar) Bump, were natives respectively of New England and the State of New York, and were both of New England origin. They were farmers and resided after their marriage in Madison County until their death. They were both members of the Friends, a society of Quakers. The father was about 70 years of age when he died, in 1871. The mother died in 1858 and nearly 60 years of age.
Mr. Bump remained at home until he was 18 years of age, engaged principally in obtaining his education. In 1849 he went to Cayuga County, in his native State, where he entered into an apprenticeship with his uncle, Edward Mitchell, to learn the business of a blacksmith. He remained under his instructions three years, removing meanwhile to Onondaga County in the same State. He pursued his trade in his native State until he was 23 years of age. In March, 1855, he came, unaccompanied, to Illinois and at once purchased 160 acres of land in Clyde Township. The broad acres of the prairie were still unbroken by the plow and stretched away under the summer sun and the wintry snows in glorious promise, which the energetic, industrious and judicious farmer has brought to realization. He gave little attention to his farm for a few years, but began to prepare for his future success by working at various points at his trade and as a farm laborer. He was married Dec. 27, 1865, in Fairview, Mercer Co., Pa., whither he went to accomplish that purpose, to Alvira L. Converse. She was born Aug. 4, 1836, in Medina Co., Ohio, and is the daughter of Winthrop and Laura (Wentworth) Converse. Her father was a farmer and was a native of Massachusetts. Her mother was born in Canada. Both parents were of English descent and of New England origin. The former died in Mercer Co., Pa., in August, 1868, and was 66 years of age. After that event the mother went to live with her son in Iowa and died in September, 1882. She was 81 years of age. Mrs. Bump was five years old when her parents went to Mercer Co., Pa., where she was educated.
The children belonging to the household of Mr. and Mrs. Bump were born as follows: Myron C., Sept. 2, 1866; Winthrop M., March 26, 1869; Marcus S., Nov. 16, 1873.
After their marriage Mr. and Mrs. Bump settled on the farm in Clyde Township, which has since been the field of their labors and where they have reared their children. The improvements include a fine residence and good farm buildings, and the place is well stocked with a good grade of Durham cattle. Mrs. Bump is a member of the Baptist Church, of which her father was at one time a minister. Mr. Bump is a believer in the tenets of the Friends, in which he was brought up. He is a Republican of vigorous views. In August, 1862, he entered the Union army, laying aside his peace principles in the cause of his country. He enlisted in the 75th Regiment of Illinois Volunteers, enrolling in Company C, under Captain Altman, of Morrison. He was with his regiment in the battle of Perrysville, Ky., Sept. 8, 1862, and, six days later, was engaged in a lively skirmish with the rebels at a point between Lancaster and Danville, Ky. Soon after he contracted camp diarrhoea which was attended with typhoid fever, and was placed on the sick list at Danville, where he was sent to the hospital. He was removed to the hospital at Lexington, Ky., and received honorable discharge from thence in the spring of 1862. He escaped the risks of the battlefields to encounter those of the army hospitals. [Transcribed by Marji Turner from Portraits & Biographical History of Whiteside 1885 Pg. 275]
Of Genesee Township
James Bunce was born in Rensselaer county New York. He married Hester Lewis. ChildreN :Delos, Delaney, Deborah, Demott, Delia, Ann, Darwin, Dunmore, Danforth, Delight, David adn Dewitt. All are now living, except Darwin. Three are livin gin Illinois, one in Missouri andone in Kansas and the others in Iowa. Mr Bunce died in 1860 and Mrs. Bunce in 1876. [Bent & Wilson History of Whiteside County IL 1877]
HARRISON D. BURCH
Of Union Grove Twp.
Harrison D. Burch, farmer, section 15, Union Grove Township, was born July 22, 1833 in Chautauqua Co., N.Y. He is the son of Ira and Joanna M. (Bacon) Burch, who were born respectively in New York and Vermont. After their marriage, they located in the State of New York, and a few years later they went to Indiana, whence they removed in 1837 to Illinois. They are mentioned in the records of the county as being one of four families who settled in the township of Garden Plain in that year. The father is deceased. The mother survives and lives in Union Grove Township. They have four children living, - Harrison D., Thomas J., Eliza S. and Ira S.
Mr. Burch was four years of age when his parents came to Whiteside County, and he has practically passed his life thus far within its limits, having spent but 18 months outside of them since he was brought hither by his father and mother. He is a farmer of extensive agricultural relations, owning 335 acres acres of land in Union Grove Township, which is nearly all under tillage. The marriage of Mr. Burch to Elizabeth W. Wookey took place Jan., 1856, in Kenosha, Wisc. Mrs. Burch was born May 29, 1835, in England. She is the daughter of George and Maria (Bryant) Wookey. The family of her father came to America about 1850 and located in Kenosha, where he died, Aug. 28, 1854. The mother died in Union Grove Township, May 12, 1880. They had ten children, who were named Mary A., John, Sarah, James, George, Thomas, William, Jane, Elizabeth W. and Frank R. Mr. and Mrs. Burch have been the parents of 13 children, four of whom - William, Marion, Franklin and Nellie - are deceased. They were born in the following order: William, Thomas J., Franklin, Lafayette W., Marion, Mary A., Ella M., George, Lizzie J., Nellie, Bertie, Henrietta and Freddie. In his political views and connections he affiliates with the Republican party, and he has been active in local official positions. He is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, to which his wife also belongs. [Portrait and Biographical Whiteside Co IL 1885 Pg 561]
Of Union Grove Twp.
Ira Burch was a native of New York State, and born May 24,1800. He remained on the farm with his father until he was twenty-one years of age, when he commenced sailing on the lakes until 1832, being a captain for several years. On the 5th of April, 1832, he married Miss Joanna M. Bacon, of Ripley, Chautauqua county, New York. Mrs. Burch was born in Sunderland, Bennington county, Vermont, August 1, 1817. The children by this marriage have been: Harrison D., born July 22, 1833; Thomas J., born November 9, 1835; Eliza S., born December 14, 1837; William H., born August 14, 1840; Merritt, born December 20,1841; Judson, born February 4,1843; Ira S., born June 25, 1844. Of these children, William H. died October 14, 1840; Merritt died March 1, 1842; and Judson died August 28, 1843. Harrison D. married Miss Elizabeth W. Wookey, January 1, 1856, and lives in Union Grove; Thomas J. married Miss Mary A. Cooley, July 4, 1858, and lives in Garden Plain; Eliza S. married George Cluff, October 8, 1855, and lives in Garden Plain; and Ira S. married Miss Margaret A. Thompson, March 12, 1866, and also lives in Garden Plain. Ira Burch, the subject of this sketch, came to Whiteside county in 1837, and settled on the west side of the cattail, a part of his land being in Union Grove, and part in Garden Plain, his house being in the former township. He died of lung fever, on the 10th of March, 1846. after an illness of five days. [Bent - Wilson History of Whiteside County 1877]
**(Note) - From Reta Kleve: The only daughter of Ira Burch and Johanna M. Bacon was my gg grandmother. Her name was Eliza Susannah Burch. She was born on the homestead. Her husband's name on the marriage certificate was Cluff. It is that way in one Whiteside Co census but ever after that he and all his descendants go by Clauff. Harrison Decatur Burch the oldest son was born at Chautauqua Co NY. The second son Thomas Jefferson Burch was born on the homestead at Noble Twp. LaPorte Co IN. The 3rd son Ira Sylvester Burch was born at Whiteside Co IL.
THOMAS J. BURCH
Of Garden Plain Twp.
Thomas J. Burch, a farmer of Garden Plain Township, was born Nov. 9, 1835, in La Porte Co., Ind. Ira Burch, his father, was born May 24, 1800, in Steuben Co., N.Y. The latter entered the lake service when a young man, and operated as a sailor on the chain of the great lakes until 1832. On the 5th of April in that year he was married to Joanna W. Bacon. She was born Aug. 1, 1817, in Sunderland, Bennington Co., Vt. For a year subsequent to their marriage they lived in Ripley, Chautauqua Co., N.Y., and in 1833 went to La Porte Co., Ind., whither they moved their family and household fixtures by the aid of an ox team. The father secured a claim of 80 acres of land near the present city of La Porte, where they set out to find a home in an untried region, traveling with a pair of horses and a wagon, and were on the road a little more than a wreck. Mr. Burch had made a trip to Whiteside County a little before and made a claim on section 18, in Union Grove Township, as it has since been designated. He also built a house for a shelter for his family. They remained in it but a short time, as Mr. Burch sold his claim and secured another on section 7, in the same township, and built a pioneer cabin. He had also entered a claim on section 12, of township 21, range 3, now Garden Plain. To this the second log house was afterward removed. The father died March 11, 1846. The widow survives, and is a resident of the homestead in Union Grove Township. Of eight children born to them four are deceased. Harrison D. lives in Whiteside County. Thomas J. is the second in order of birth. Eliza is the wife of G.A. Clauff, of Ringgold Co., Iowa. Ira S. is the youngest.
Mrs. Burch was married again to Ezekiel Perry, who died in June, 1860.
Thomas J. was in his second year when his parents settled in Whiteside County. He was educated in the log and stone school-houses of the township of Garden Plain, and was trained in a knowledge of agriculture. In 1858 he went to Missouri, going there through Iowa, Kansas and Nebraska. While in Missouri he was married to Mary A. Cooley, in July, 1859. She was born Sept. 13, 1834, in Ohio. In 1860 they returned to Garden Plain Township, and were residents on the homestead two years. In 1862Mr. Burch bought 55 acres of land on section 1, to which he removed. He is at present owner of 160 acres on the same section, having since purchased 105 acres, the remainder of the northeast quarter of section 1. He also owns 33 acres of timber in Union Grove Township.
Four of the children of Mr. and Mrs. Burch are living at this date (1885), Harry D., Henry, Alvin and Elmer. Mr. Burch has been a Prohibitionist in principle several years. He and his wife are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church [Portrait and Biographical Whiteside Co IL 1885 Pg 790]
ROBERT L. BURCHELL
Robert L. Burchell, dealer in dry goods, clothing, boots and shoes, hats and caps, notions, groceries and queensware, at Erie, is a son of Robert C. and Mary J. (Morris) Burchell, and was born in Columbus City, Iowa, May 31, 1846. His father was a native of Virginia and an attorney by profession, and came West about 1850, locating in Columbus City, Iowa. In 1855 he moved to Oregon, Ogle Co., Ill., where he is now Mayor of the city. He was State District Attorney for eight years, was one of the Electors on the Greeley ticket and was a strong Blaine man. The mother of Robert L. is a native of New Albany, Ind. The issue of their union was six children, all living: Kate is the wife of Adolphus Jones, farmer, residing in Iowa; Henry is a merchant at Walnut, Bureau Co., Ill.; Nancy resides at home; Robert L. is the subject of this biographical notice; Frank is a merchant at Oregon, Ill.; Jenny is the wife of Charles Wales, a butcher in Savannah, Ill.
Robert L. Burchell, the subject of this notice, received his education at Mt. Morris, Ogle Co., Ill., then entered a store as clerk in Oregon, where he remained three years. He then went to Franklin Grove, Lee County, where he clerked for a time, and then went to Dixon, Ill., where he also clerked one year. In 1868 he came to Erie and opened a dry-goods store. He started with $3,600, and has continued in the business ever since. He has enlarged the business until he now has three large stores which open into each other, and carries a stock approximating $35,000. His store is one of the largest in the county. He also has 400 acres of farming land in Erie and Fenton Townships, and also has in Erie a number of buildings. He has kept the postoffice since 1870. Mr. Burchell also has a creamery in Erie, and in 1884 manufactured 100,000 pounds of butter. He ships his products to St. Louis, New York and Philadelphia. Mr. Burchell has been Supervisor of Erie six years, and Chairman of the Board of Supervisors for two years. He is also Village Treasurer and also Treasurer of the school fund. He has taken quite an interest in politics.
Mr. Burchell was united in marriage at Chicago, Ill., Nov. 18, 1866, to Miss Margaret Victoria Jones. She is a daughter of Augustus and Mary Jones, and was born in the State of New York, Nov. 18, 1847. They have had four children. The record is as follows: Edith L., born March 27, 1868, and died Setp. 14, 1880; Robert C., born June 16, 1870; Mary J., born Nov. 5, 1875; and George A., Aug. 13, 1877.
Mr. Burchell is a member of the Masonic Order and was a charter member of the Blue Lodge of Erie. He is also a member of the Prophetstown Chapter and Sterling Commandery. He owns a one-half interest in the store of Burchell Bros., at Walnut, Ill. He employs in his store eight clerks and a bookkeeper, and has put in the Lampson Cash Railway System. In the main building he has two stories, and also a large cellar. In addition he has a large warehouse and handles large amounts of butter, eggs, etc. He is one of the representative and energetic business men of Whiteside County. [Portraits & Biographical 1885]
Of Jordan Township
Isaac Burger was born in the Blue Mountains in Pennsylvania, but was reared in Columbia County. He came of Pennsylvania parents who were of German descent, and in his native State learned the trades of a cabinet-maker and carpenter; following them for some twenty-two years. After coming to Illinois with his family he settled on a farm in Jordan Township, Whiteside COunty, where he carried on farming and also worked in his trad as a mechanic until his death, April 9, 1887, when seventy-eight years of age. He was a thorough- going Democrat, and a member of the Presbyterian Church. His wife, was a native of Columbia County, Pennsylvania, also born of parents of German descent. She was a most excellent woman, and a true wife to her good husband. This worthy couple spent forty-nine years together, and were separated for only a short time by death, she soon following her husband, her death occurring Ausust 23, in the same year as his, 1887. She was then seventy-six years and six months old. Like her husband, she was an earnest member of the Lutheran Church. [Portrait & Biographical, Lee County IL 1892; Contributed by: Mike Hosler]
BENJAMIN A. BURGESS
Of Genesee Twp.
Benjamin Burgess, Jr., retired farmer, living on section 30, Genesee Township, was born July 3, 1809, in the town of Fort Ann, Washington Co., N. Y. He is the only son of Benjamin and Jerush (Chase) Burgess, and, in the paternal line of descent, is of mixed Irish and English blood, while the mother’s ancestors were English. They were farmers; and the mother died about 1844, in Cayuga Co., N. Y., when she had passed the age of 60 years. Benjamin Burgess, senior, came to Genesee Township and died at the house of his son. He has been dead some years, and was about 80 years of age at the time of his decease. The family settled in Cayuga County about 1819. That section of the Empire State was in a dense Wilderness of original forest. Mr. Burgess was there reared, and before he separated from the parental household he formed a matrimonial alliance with Sarah A. Annable. She was born Jan. 23,1809, in Saratoga Co., N.Y., and her parents, Prince and Ruth (Howland) Annable, were also natives of the State and were respectively of French and English descent. They were farmers and the families from which they came were for a long period of years identified with the history of the United States, having come here prior to the Revolution. Mrs. Burgess was eight years old when her father became a citizen of Cayuga County. There she grew to maturity and was married Dec. 17, 1831. Later, her parents came to Illinois and located in Jo Daviess County, where their lives terminated. Mr. And Mrs. Burgess located on 50 acres of land in the township of Fort Edward in Washington Co., N. Y., to which they afterward added 25 acres, and, after making important improvements, sold out to buy another farm containing 100 acres, which was all cultivated. This constituted the homestead until their removal to Illinois in 1841. They located on a claim on which a settlement had been made and which they purchased of its original claimant previous to the land’s coming into market. Three years later Mr. Burgess sold his title and bought 80 acres on the section which has since been his field of operation. He has put his son in possession of 40 acres of timber, three-fourths of which still belongs to the estate. Mr. and Mrs. Burgess are the parents of three sons and two daughters: Caleb married Rosanna Colcord and they reside at Sterling, where the former is a mechanic; James married Lavina Switzer, and is a farmer in Jones Co., Iowa. Lucy married John Cutting, a farmer in Gage Co., Neb. William married Margaret Vest, and is engaged in farming in Tama Co., Iowa. Ruth was born in the State of New York, which was the native state of her brothers and sister, and married James Siddles. His parents were Joseph and Jane (Courtright) Siddles, and he was born Sept. 25, 1827, in Sussex Co., N. J. When he was six years of age hisparents removed to Susquehanna Co., Pa., where he was brought up and educated. In 1854 they came to Whiteside County and settled at Sterling. The mother died within the year of their arrival there. Mr. And Mrs. Siddles have had three children, - Milan, who died Feb. 11, 1872; Charles C., and Dora V. Mr. Burgess is a Republican and he and his wife are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church. [History of Whiteside County Portraits & Biographical Pg. 259]
HARRY DEWEY BURGHARDT
Hudson Wis. Office 325 Gilfillan bldg St Paul. Land and investments. Born Sept 29, 1858 Fulton Ill , son of George H and Lucy Ann (Dewey) Burghardt. Married Dec 25, 1887 to Clara E Garrett. Educated in public schools Rockford Ill ; during Civil War in Louisville Ky ; after war in Boone Ia 1869-71. Clk and bkpr with L H Pepper Boone Ia 1872-76; teller First National Bank Boone Iowa 1876-79; with Beveridge & Dewey private bankers Chicago 1880-82; gen mngr of Clendenin Mining & Smelting Co Mont 1882-85; merchandising and in real estate and mining business 1885-94; dep U S Int Rev collector and dep U S marshal for northern dist Mont 1891-94. Sec and gen mngr North Wis Land Co; pres and treas Eau Galle Land & Commercial Co; dir International Lumber & Supply Co and stockholder in other companies. Member Commercial Club St Paul. [Little Sketches of Big Folks in Minnesota . Publ. 1907 Transcribed by Renae Donaldson]
OF Portland Township
Horace Burke was born in Berkshire county, Massachusetts. He lived in Bennington county, Vermont, 20 years. In 1830 he moved to Erie county New York, and in 1834 came to Cook county, Illinois, and owned a farm on the Joliet road. He was by trade a carpenter, and worked in Chicago helping raise and frame the first two-story house in that city. He came to Portland in June, 1834, where he still lives. He lost his entire improvements in the tornado of 1844, and nearly all his stock. He rebuilt, and the weary traveler and emigrant have always found a cordial welcome in his house. It was the place for holding elections from 1836 to 1853. He married Miss Lydia Sprague in 1832 and after her death, married Mrs. Hannah Witt, in 1850. Children; James Dwight E., Sarah, Georgia, Alice, Julia, and Lydia. Dwight E. is dead, Georgia married Frank Haddaway . and is also dead; Alice married Theodore Wyman and lives in Iowa; James married Miss Mary Briggs, Sarah married Wm. Harris, Julia married Geo. Curry, and Lydia married Monroe Occobock - the last four mentioned reside in Kansas. [Extracted from Bent & Wilson History of Whiteside County Page 350]
Thomas Burke, general farmer, section 25, Hume Township, was born in 1831, in County Tipperary, Ireland. About the year 1852, he emigrated to the United States. He first located in New Jersey, and later went to Northampton Co Pa. He was married there in 1856, to Mary Fay, who was born in Ireland and came when she was eight years of age to America. The family first settled in CT and went afterwards to PA. Mr. and Mrs. Burke have been the parents of 13 children, of whom two are no longer living. Mary married John Taylor and lives near Platte Center, NE Thomas lives on the farm in Hume Twp., as also do William, John, Patrick, Anne, Bridget, David, James, Ellen and Edward. Honora and Michael died in childhood. Soon after marriage, Mr. Burke went to New Jersey, where he lived two years, and in 1858 he removed his family to Sterling, Ill. During his residence there he purchased land in the township of Hahnaman, on which he moved after two years. He went thence to Montmorency Township, where he was the occupant and owner of 200 acres of land. He sold the place in 1881 and purchased 240 acres of land in Hume Township, where he has since been engaged in prosperous farming. Mr. Burke is a Democrat in political relations, and is at present a School Director. The family are members of the Catholic Church. [Portraits & Biographical Whiteside County IL 1885]
Charles Burkholder of this city has just been elected general manager of the Southern Power Company of Charlotte, N. C. and president of the Charlotte Street Railway company as well as several other holdings of the power company. The rise of Mr. Burkholder has been a steady one and due to nothing but him own ability. After graduating from the Sterling high school he went to Madison, where he completed a course. Upon his return he served one term as city engineer of sterling under his father, Hon. Christian C. Burkholder, who was then mayor. Mr. Burkholder later went to Peoria, where he commenced work for a manufacturing company, going from there to accept a better position with the General Electric company at Schnectdey, N. Y. Here he rose rapidly until he finally reached the position of assistant general manager.
About this time the Southern Power Co. composed largely of New York capitalists, found that they had a larger proposition on their hands than had been anticipated. Figuring on spending $20,000,000 in acquiring holdings in North Carolina, when $12,000,000 had been spent the financiers found that they could not get a man with the ability to handle the gigantic proposition of supplying power to the entire state of North Carolina. One man after another was tried and found lacking. Finally, in desperation, they appealed to the general manager of the General Electric Co. "There is only one man in the United States with the ability to develop your scheme and save the money you have already spent," said the general manager. "We want him," responded the financiers. "But he chances to be my assistant," answered the general manager, "and I don't propose to let go of him unless he gets a salary in keeping with his position." "He can name his own salary," they answered.
And at his own figures Mr. Burkholder was engaged. He has been at Charleston six years. The Southern Power Co. has spent not only the original twenty millions and several millions besides. They have acquired all of the power plants and holdings with few exceptions throughout the state. Electric power is transmitted for several hundred miles. Some fifteen street railway companies receive their power from the company, while it lights a hundred cities. And the working head of the entire system is Charles Burkholder of this city. Now, in return for his ability in organizing and developing their holdings, the gentlemen back of the project have elected the Sterling man as their general manager and have also made him president of six of their subordinate holdings. And, as before, he was hired at his own figures. [Contributed by Larry Reynolds / Sterling Daily Standard 17 March 1911]
Christian Burkholder, proprietor of the general agricultural depot on Spruce Street, Sterling, was born Sept. 29, 1848, his parents being Elias and Maria (Blair) Burkholder, natives of PA, who moved to Clinton Co OH in 1857 and to Sterling in the fall of 1859. Mr. Burkholder, the senior, followed farming until 1882, since which time he has been engaged in the live-stock business.
Christian, the subject of this notice, attended the Rock River Seminary at Mt. Morris, four terms. Then he started out in business by entering the employment of H.S. Street in the agricultural warehouse, and was with him until 1877, when he purchased his interest and has since then managed the business alone.
In his political views, Mr. B. is a Republican, is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, and is a consistent Christian gentleman, being liberal and public-spirited.
Mr. Burkholder married Mary P. Irvine, the daughter of Joseph and Electa S. (Parsons) Irvin, of Rockford, Oct. 7, 1869. By this marriage there are six children - Nellie M., Charles J., Lotta A., Harry E., Hoomer S. and Alice M. [Portraits & Biographical 1885 Pg 308]
**The marriage license of Christian Burkholder is recorded on 30 September 1869 in Whiteside County to Mary ERVIN
Elias Burkholder, dealer in horses, mules and cattle, at Sterling, was born in Lancaster Co., Pa., June 16, 1824. His parents, Christian and Fannie (Groff) Burkholder, were natives also of the Keystone State, and had a family of 12 children, Seth, Christiana, Elias, Ezra, Menno, Catharine, Marian, Ann, Fanny, Groff, Christian and Peter.
Their third child, the subject of this sketch, remained at home until 22 years of age, assisting on the farm and receiving a common-school education. Leaving home, he was engaged in the commission business nine years at Bird-in-hand, in his native county; and while there he also studied medicine for several years, and then practiced the profession a year at Vogansville; the next tow years he also followed farming. In 1858 he moved to New Vienna, Clinton Co., Ohio, where he followed the two vocations for eleven months; then the same again at Sterling, this county, until 1875, since which time he has been dealing in stock, in which business he has fair success.
He is a Republican in his political views, and both himself and wife belong to the Methodist Episcopal Church. He is a Christian gentleman.
He was married Nov. 18, 1847, to Miss Maria, daughter of James and Harriet (Harsh) Blair, natives also of the Keystone State. Mrs., and Mrs. Burkholder have had seven children, three of whom are living, namely: Christian, who married Miss Mary Erwin, of Rockford, Ill., and has five children; Charley, Lotta, Homer, Harry and Alice; Fianna, who became the wife of Fred Kauffman, of Sterling, and the mother of Branch and Mercy J.; and Mary, now the wife of Dr. N. H. Lehman, of Ohio, and the mother of Leroy. [Transcribed by Marji Turner from Portraits & Biographical History of Whiteside 1885 Pg. 769]
Of Union Grove Township
Benjamin Burns was born in Columbiana county, Ohio, November 13, 1813, and came to Whiteside county in October, 1837. He settled in what is now Union Grove township, his first effort being the erection of a saw mill on Rock creek, on the site of the present grist mill of William Annan, in connection with John A. Robertson.
He remained in partnership with Mr. Robertson, in running the saw mill, about three years, when he traded his interest with Silas Matthews for section 2 in Union Grove township, upon which he immediately removed. He retained the ownership of the entire section for some time, but as the settlers began to come in more rapidly, sold portions of it, reserving at last the old homestead with one hundred and fourteen acres.
He was married on the 8th day of October 8, 1841, to Miss Agnes Mosher of Clyde. Their children have been: George, born September 3, 1842; Anna, born November 5, 1843; Emma, born April 17, 1845; Hattie, born June 24, 1847; Alvira, born June 6, 1849; Ross, born January 31, 1851; Zilpha, born June 6, 1852; Willie, born April 25, 1857; Clark, born January 6, 1859; Howard, born October 31, 1860: and Clara, born April 28, 1867. Of these children, Ross died April 2, 1851, and Alvira September 20, 1854. Anna married Robert Trye, and lives in Clyde; Emma married Elliott Pollard, and lives in Sedgwick, Kansas; Hattie married Robert Fellows, and lives in Union Grove; Zilpha married James B. King, and lives in Clyde; and George married Miss Rena Medberry, and lives in Chebanse, Illinois. Willie, Clark. Howard, and Clara, reside at home.
This farm is one of the finest situated and best cultivated in Union Grove township. Mr. Burns is one of the oldest settlers now living in Whiteside county, and is a genial, hale, hearty gentleman, commanding and receiving the respect of all. He took a prominent part in the affairs of the township and county at an early day, but of late years has devoted himself almost wholly to the cultivation of his farm. [Bent & Wilson History of Whiteside County]
HARMON E. BURR
Harmon E. Burr, farmer, section 12, Union Grove Township, was born Nov. 18, 1818, in Winsted, Connecticut. He is the son of Solomon and Mary (Ensign) Burr, and they were both natives and life-long residents of that State. The mother died Oct. 29, 1846; the death of the father occurred Dec. 19, 1851. Following are the names of their ten children: Maria, Rufus, Samuel, Mary, Rhoda, Sarah, Willard, Huldah, Harmon and Charlotte. Mr. Burr attended the common schools until he was 15 years of age, when he commenced teaching. After following that business seven years without intermission, he entered Oberlin College (Ohio), where he pursued a full course of study and was graduated in 1849. He taught during the vacation seasons to obtain means to defray the expense of his collegiate course. He resumed teaching for a livelihood, and resided in Lorain Co., Ohio. In 1859 he was elected Sheriff and served a full term of four years. On the expiration of his official life in 1865, he came to Illinois and located in Whiteside County. Since his removal to Union Grove Township he has been engaged in farming and teaching. In the latter calling he is the senior in the county, having taught 50 years. He owns 200 acres of land on the section where he reside, which is principally in a good agricultural condition, and is largely devoted to stock purposes. Mr. Burr has 48 head of cattle and six horses, and sends to market about 70 swine annually.
He was married in Columbia, Lorain Co, Ohio, May 1, 1849, to Ann Squire, and they have three children: Harmon E. was born Jan. 12, 1851; Charlotte A., born March 13, 1856, died Feb. 27, 1883: John W., born Aug. 27, 1862, died July 23, 1870. Mrs. Burr was born March 2, 1825, in Devonshire, England, and is the daughter of Thomas and Susannah Squire. Her parents were born in Devonshire, England, and in 1834 emigrated with their family to the United States. They located in Lorain Co., Ohio. The father died there Dec. 14, 1856; the mother died in October, 1861. Their children, of whom they had ten, lived to maturity. Their name were Thomas, John, Jonas, Hannah, William, Susan, Elizabeth, Ann, Tamsen and Margaret.
Mr. Burr is identified politically with the Republican party. In the fall of 1884 he was elected Supervisor of his township, and is still engaged in the discharge of the duties of the position. He and his wife are communicants in the Episcopal Church. [Contributed by Marji Turner - Portraits & Biographical]
JAMES M. BURR
Of Hopkins Township
James M. Burr is a resident of Como, Hopkins Township, and was formerly a sea Captain. He was born in Boston, Mass. Dec. 2, 1808, and lived at home until he was 11 years of age, when, after the fashion of a large number of youngsters who are born near the sea, he yielded to a temptation to try the experiences of the salt water himself, and ran away on a mackerel boat. The trip lasted two months, and he was sufficiently well pleased with the experiment to continue in the same business three years. He next tried the novelties and excitement of cod-fishing on the Newfoundland Banks for a season or two, after which he went to the Falkland Isles and spent five years in seal-fishing. On his retum to Boston, he obtained a position as first mate on an ocean steamer belonging to the Liverpool Packet Line, and operated in that capacity about four years. He spent a brief time at his home in Boston, after which he shipped as a common sailor for a voyage around the world, and was absent three years. He continued his seafaring about 20 years, operating as a sailor before the mast as mate and finally as Captain. He passed a year or two in the Lake service and afterwards engaged in steam-boating on the Mississippi and Illinois Rivers. While thus engaged he made a visit to a brother in Tazewell Co., Ill., and while there he decided to abandon his seafaring life and accompany his family to Northern Illinois. He came to Whiteside County about 1838 and purchased 50 acres of land in Hopkins Township, which is now included in the platting of Como, and on which he has since resided. He has since made a trip to California for the purpose of mining for gold, in which he spent three years, with reasonable success. He has disposed of the major portion of his property in the township of Hopkins. Captain Burr is a stanch Republican. He is the son of Martin and Eunice (Turner) Burr, who were natives of Massachusetts and lived there until their death. That of the father took place Nov. 19, 1846; that of the mother occurred in August, 1853. They had nine children, - George T., Harriet, Adaline, James M., Eunice, Sarah A., William T., Theo. M. and Stephen M.
Captain Burr was married Aug. 22, 1840, at Portsmouth, N. H., to Caroline, daughter of Jeremiah and Lucy (Furber) Neal. Her parents were born in that city and lived there until their deaths, which occurred respectively in 1827 and 1869. Their children, five in number, were named Clarinda, Sarah A. Caroline H., John W. and Charles K. Mrs. Burr was born Dec. 5,1820, in Portsmouth. To her and her husband seven children have been born, - James M., Adaline K, Eunice T., Hattie, Netty, Charles M., J. S. Ellery and William T. The oldest son and the second daughter are deceased. Adaline E., oldest daughter, is the wife of Judge David Davis, formerly United States Senator from Illinois, and resides at Bloomington. Hattie is the wife of Charles Heitsh and resides at Marshalltown, Iowa. Eunice T. married Charles N. Munson, formerly of Sterling, now a resident of Kansas City, Mo. [Portraits & Biographical Pg 345]
CAPTAIN JAMES M. BURR
Was born in Boston, Massachusetts, December 21 1808, and married Miss Caroline H. Neal, August 22, 1840. Mrs. Burr was born in New Hampshire, December 19, 1819. The following have been their children: James M. Jr., born August. 16; 1841, and died in infancy; Adeline E., born February, 26, 1843; Eulice., born March 5, 1845;. Hettie, born September 1, 1847; Charles M., June 15, 1850; Ellery S., born June 18 1854, and William T., born January 4, 1860. Eunice F. married Charles N. Munson in May, 1869; children, William R.,John J., and Carrie M. Mrs. Munson died in Sterling, July 22,1877. Hattie married Charles Heitshee, October 15, 1869. Mr. and Mrs. Heitshee have one child, Frank R. Charles M. Burr married Miss Mary C. Boals, December 16, 1876. The other children reside with their parents in Como. [Bent-Wilson History of Whiteside County]
FRANCIS E. BURRIDGE
Francis E Burridge, dealer in drugs, stationery, jewelry, paints, oils, notions, etc., at Erie, is a son of John and Emma (Young) Burridge, and was born in Van Buren Co., Mich., July 29, 1858. His father is a physician, and is at present following his profession in Erie. His mother was a native of England, and died in Erie, March 31, 1879. The issue of their union comprised seven children, of whom five are living: Eugene H., Francis E., Mary Q., Byron W. and Rose B. The family removed to Geneseo, Henry Co., Ill., when Francis E. was but five years of age. In 1862 they made another remove, to Portland Township, this county, and the following year, in 1863, to Erie village, where they have resided ever since, with the exception of one year in Kansas.
Mr. Burridge, the subject of this biographical notice, carries a stock approximating $3,300, and is doing a good and constantly increasing business; and, in addition to conducting the business mentioned, he is also engaged in loaning money on a small scale. He was united in marriage in Erie, Nov. 25, 1880, to Miss Carrie M. Henwood, daughter of Daniel B. and Lydia E (Coburn) Henwood. She was born in Erie Oct. 20, 1863, and has borne to her husband two children: Emma E., born Jan. 7, 1882; and Lily M., born Dec. 21, 1883. [Transcribed by Marji Turner from Portraits & Biographical History of Whiteside 1885 Pg. 696]
DAVID L. BURROUGHS
Daniel L. Burroughs, of Tampico, has been a prominent factor in the various business interests of Whiteside County since his removal here in 1867. He is at present extensively interested in traffic in poultry, eggs and butter. He was born Oct. 14, 1841, in Napoli, Cattaraugus Co., N.Y., where his father Loren Burroughs, was a prominent farmer. Meribah (Boardman) Burroughs, the mother, was also a native of the State of New York. Daniel is the tenth in order of birth of 13 included in the family of his parents. He spent the years of his youth in alternate attendance at school and in farm labor on his father's homestead, and when 20 years old enlisted in the military. Aug. 9, 1862, he enrolled in Co B 154th N.Y. Vol. Inf. His chiefs in company, regiment and brigade were Capt. Allen, Col. Jones and Gens. Hooker and Howard, and his command was assigned to the Army of the Potomac. He was in the various engagements in which the regiment participated, among which was the battle of Chancellorsville, where his brother, George W. Burroughs, was killed. He was taken ill with pneumonia, and on recovery was transferred to the Veteran Reserve Corps. He was sent to Washington D.C. where he was honorably discharged July 19, 1865, at the termination of the war, after a period of military service extending over nearly 3 years. Previous to his enlistment his parents had removed to Chautauqua County, where he returned on being once more at liberty to resume the duties of a civilian. He was for some time engaged in teaching in that county, and was married Nov. 22, 1866 in Jamestown, to Mattie, the only daughter of W.C. and Mary E. (Abbott) Hassett. She was born in Chautauqua County NY in 1848, and was reared to womanhood in her native county. Her father was a farmer, and was largely interested in the dairy business. Mr. and Mrs. Burroughs have one child, A. DeEtte, born May 16, 1868.
In March 1867 they came to Whiteside County locating at Prophetstown where Mr. Burroughs was a farmer and also a teacher for some time. He went thence to Geneseo, Henry Co IL and became a dealer in butter and eggs, establishing his business in 1872 and operating extensively until 1876, when he sold out and came to Tampico. He has since been more extensively engaged in trade in poultry than any other single dealer in the State. In the winter of 1884-5 he shipped 200 tons of poultry, and he has also been interested in the management of two creameries. He has six poultry buildings in different localities and is the owner of considerable village property. Mr. Burroughs is a Republican of a decided type, and has served on the Board of Village Trustees. [Whiteside County History, 1885]
LEWIS A. BURTCH
Lewis A. Burtch, M. D., of Clifton, was born in Morrison, Illinois, June 16, 1875, his parents, J. M. and Phoebe Wood Burtch, having settled there many years ago. Dr. Burtch was educated in the public schools and after his graduation from high school, took a business course. Subsequently he entered Rush Medical College, Chicago, from which he was graduated in 1897, then devoting considerable time to dispensary and clinic work, he secured a most thorough and practical experience in dealing with the variety of work afforded in the hospital of a large city. In October, 1897, he came to Clifton, opened an office, and in his practice has been successful from the beginning, and has built up an extensive practice. Politically, Dr. Burtch is a Democrat. He is a member of the Blue Lodge Masons, Knights of Pythias, Spanish-American Alliance, A. O. U. W., and B. P. O. E., of which he is Past Exalted Ruler. Dr. Burtch married Miss Margaret E. Stark, of Benton Harbor, Michigan. [Contributed by Barbara Ziegenmeyer -- Who's Who In Arizona Volume 1 1913 Compiled and Published by Jo Connors]
Henry Bush is a farmer on section 9, Sterling Twp, and is the oldest son of Luther Bush, one of the pioneer settlers of Whiteside County. The father was born Aug. 12, 1794, and he married Eunice Cornish, locating in Lewis Co., NY whence he removed with his family to Whiteside County.
He was a mason by trade, which pursuit he followed all his life. His memory is cherished with the utmost respect, his mental capacity and moral rectitude being unusually prominent. He was a member of the first religious organization in Sterling Township, which was the foundation of the Methodist Episcopal Church at Sterling. Luther Bush died Nov. 29, 1870, of dropsy. His wife, who was born July 28, 1800, is still living. She is 85 years of age. Their children were named Henry, Edward, Esther H., Andrew J., Alfred, Julia V. and Martin L. Edward died July 14, 1871, at the age of 47 years. Alfred died Feb. 25, 1860; he was 28 years old. Esther H. was married June 18, 1843, to John Dippell, and is now a widow. Julia V. married Joseph M. Martinand lives in Iowa.
Mr. Bush was born in Lewis Co., NY Oct. 17, 1822. In 1836 he came with his parents to Bureau Co., Ill., and accompanied them to Whiteside County. He acquired a knowledge of the business of his father and passed 15 years in its pursuit. He is now engaged in farming. In political affiliation, Mr. Bush is a Republican.
His marriage to Sarah E. Judd took place at Sterling, Dec. 4, 1850. Of this union three children were born, as follows: Lewis C.; Jeannette G. died Sept. 22, 1855; Norton G. The mother died in Sterling March 9, 1857. She was the daughter of Charles C. Judd. He was again united in marriage to Elizabeth J. (Bressler) Nichols, daughter of Isaac and Frances (Neff) Bressler, and widow of Norton J. Nichols. The latter died Jan. 7, 1854, at Sterling. The only child of that marriage was Amoret F., who was born Nov. 22, 1853, and died April 1, 1854. Five children have been born to Mr. and Mrs. Bush: Emma E., Phebe C., Isaac I. and Henry L. (twins), Nathan G. Mrs. Bush was born July 10, 1822, in Lancaster Co., Pa. (See sketch of Isaac Bressler ) The family attend, the Methodist Episcopal Church, of which Mr. Bush is a member. [Portraits & Biographical Whiteside County IL 1885]
of Sterling, IL
Luther Bush was born August 12, 1794, in the State of Connecticut, and emigrated with his family to Lewis county, New York, where he remained until he came to Whiteside county in 1836. He was a brick mason and plasterer by trade, and followed it all his life. His work always had the merit of being well done. He was a man with few faults; a model of intelligence, and moral honesty, and a sincere christian. He was a member of the first church society organized in the present township of Sterling, in 1836, the meeting being held at Brink’s cabin. This society grew into the present Broadway M. E. Church. Mr. Bush was chosen the first class leader, and continued to fill the position until his death in October, 1870. He died of dropsy at the age of 76 years. On the 22d of January, 1820, he married Miss Eunice Cornish, who was born July 28, 1800. Their children were Henry, born October 17, 1822; Edward, born March 18, 1824; Esther H., born January 22, 1826; Andrew, born July 18, 1829; Alfred, born August 31, 1832; Julia V., born February 3, 1836; and Martin L., born November 22, 1838. Henry married Miss Sarah Judd, December 4,1850; children, Lewis C., Jeannette L., and Norton G.; Mrs. Bush died March 9,1857; Jeannette L. died September 22, 1858; Mr. Bush married Mrs. Elizabeth J. Nichols, January 3,1858; children, Emma E., Phoebe C., Isaac J. and Henry L.-twins, and Nathan J.; Mr. Bush is an intelligent, industrious farmer, and has a well arranged, comfortable home, with fine surroundings. Edward married Miss Electa Bartlett, October 22, 1846; children; Mary Jane, Charles H., Sarah, Edward N., Arthur, Ellen, Rosalia, Catharine, and George L.; he learned the trade of plasterer with his father, and followed it as long as he lived, his death occurring July 14, 1871; he spent a few years in California, and after his return acted as Deputy Sheriff for sometime. Esther H. married John Dippell, June 18, 1843; children, John L., Sophia E., Etta M., George W., Frederick W., Anna A., Emma R.; Frederick died in infancy; when Mrs. Dippell came to Harrisburg in October, 1837, she remembers that there then but eight houses. Andrew J. is a plasterer by trade, and unmarried; he went to Iowa a number of years ago, where he is engaged in farming. Alfred married Miss Caroline Verbeck; children, Franklin, and Marietta. Julia V. married Joseph M. Martin, December 18, 1860, and lives in Kossuth county, Iowa; they have no children; Mr. Martin is a school teacher, and also carries on a farm. Martin L. married Miss Catharine Vexler, and is a farmer in Kossuth county, Iowa; children, Laura C., Bertha L., and Eva E. [Whiteside County History 1877 - Bent-Wilson]
Retired farmer and dealer in real estate, at Sterling, was born in that village, Nov. 22, 1838. His parents were Luther and Eunice (Cornish) Bush, natives respectively of Connecticut and New York. His father, a mason by occupation, came to Bureau Co., Ill., in 1836, and in 1839 to Sterling. He died in October, 1870, and Mrs. Bush is still living, with her son, the subject of this sketch. The latter, after receiving a common school education and attaining legal age, left home and commenced working at the business of an artist. About nine years afterward he went to Iowa and took up a homestead of 80 acres, and also bought 80 acres, on which he lived and labored for ten years. He then moved back to Sterling, renting his farms in Iowa, and engaging in the real-estate business. Mr. Bush is a good business man; in political matters he votes for the "best man" and he is a member of the IOOF. March 17, 1860, he married Catherine Wexler, a native of Germany, and they have three children,--Laura, Bertha E. and Eva J. [Portraits & Biographical Whiteside County IL 1885]
Of Genesee Township, IL
Colonel Bushman is a farmer on section 11, Genesee Township, and he was born in Wysox Township, Carroll Co., Ill., Aug. 10, 1853. The personal account of of his parents appears in connection with that of H.S. Bushman. He was about six years of age when he accompanied his father's family to Genesee Township, and they settled on section 11, on the estate which has been for years designated the "old Bushman homestead." Mr. Bushman passed 17 years on the place, engaged in obtaining his education and in farm labor.
He was married Oct. 27, 1874, to Ella, daughter of James and Elizabeth (Hills) Scoville. She is a native of Genesee Township and was born Dec. 12, 1855, on section 10. She has been reared and educated in the township where she is now living. The children of Mr. and Mrs. Bushman have the following record: Earl I. born Sept. 18, 1877; Homer G., July 7, 1883; and Tessa E., born Jan. 16, 1882, died April 8, 1882. After his marriage Mr. Bushman took charge of his father's homestead property, where he operated between two and three years. He then managed the farm of his father-in-law, James Scoville, for a time, when he purchased 100 acres on section 11, and forming part of his father's farm. This is all under cultivation and is in fine farming condition. Mr. Bushman is a Republican in political opinion and belongs to the Methodist Episcopal Church, of which Mrs. Bushman is also a member. [Portrait and Biographical Album of Whiteside County, Illinois; Chapman Bros., 1885, pg 545]
HENRY S. BUSHMAN
Of Coleta, IL
Henry S. Bushman, retired farmer, resident at Coleta, was born in Sept. 22, 1822, in Cayuga Co., N. Y. David and Eve (Spangler) Bushman, his parents, were born respectively in New York and Pennsylvania, and were descendants of the class known to history as â€œPennsylvania Dutch,â€ which has furnished some of the best citizens of the Republic. They were married in Cayuga Co., N. Y., and in 1845 came to Illinois, locating in Wysox Township, Carroll County, where the mother is still living and is 84 years old. The father died there Nov. 5, 1882, aged 82 years. They were the parents of six children, four of whom were born previous to the removal of the family to Illinois.
Mr. Bushman was nearly 21 years of age when he came with his parents to Illinois, and he was preceded in birth by one sister. The home farm in Carroll County at the time of purchase, consisted of 80 acres and by later purchase 80 acres more were added. The son was educated chiefly in the township of Victory, in the county in which he was born, and he remained a member of the family of his father until he was married. That event occurred March 18, 1846, in Wysox Township, when Lavinia Burghduff became his wife. Her parents, Jacob and Tama Burghduff, were formerly residents of Wayne Co., N. Y., and the former died in Michigan. The latter died in the State of New York. Mrs. Bushman was born Jan. 3, 1838, in Wayne Co., N. Y., where she was educated. She died Feb. 3, 1873, at her home on section 11, Genesee Township, and left six children. The deaths of three children preceded her own. Charles H. married Susannah Mull, and they reside on a farm in Genesee Township. Joseph S. married Rebecca Hurless. They live on the homestead of Mr. Bushman. Colonel married Ella Scoville, and is a farmer of Genesee Township. Harlem married Lucinda Morden and they live on a farm at Davis Junction, in Ogle Co., Ill. He is a dealer in agricultural implements. Nelson married Carrie Hendricks, and is a grocer at Davis Junction. Sarah resides at home.
Mr. Bushman was married a second time Feb. 9, 1876, at Coleta, to Mrs. Rachel Dull, daughter of Martin and Barbara (Arford) Overholser. She was born in Ohio of German parentage. Her father and mother removed some years since to Coleta, and are aged respectively 76 years and 74 years. She was born March 14, 1848 [ s/b 1838], in Tuscarawas Co., Ohio. When she was 16 years of age she accompanied her parents to Whiteside Co., Ill. Her first marriage, to Peter Dull, occurred Nov. 12 [s/b 11], 1856, and they had five children. One of them, Anna M., is living, and she is the wife of Martin Overholser.
After his first marriage, Mr. Bushman located on a farm in Wysox Township, Carroll County. It contained 160 acres, and he was its proprietor until 1856, when he bought 182 acres of land in Genesee Township, and on which he was many years resident. In April, 1872, the family came to the village of Coleta, and Mr. Bushman bought two acres of land on which he has built a residence. He is the owner of the farm property last mentioned and 11 acres of timber. The former is all under improvements, and supplied with creditable farm buildings. Mr. Bushman is a reliable Republican, and has held the local offices of the township. He and his wife are members of the United Brethren Church. [Contributed by Larry Reynolds - Portrait and Biographical Album of Whiteside County, Illinois; Chapman Bros., 1885]
DAVID R. BUTLER
David R Butler, a farmer on section 18 of Montmorency Township, is a son of Ezekiel W. and Eunice (Shaw) Butler, natives of New England, who came to Whiteside County in 1857, settling in the township of Prophetstown, where Mr. B spent the remainder of his days: Mrs. B. is still living. Their family comprised 11 children, -- Nancy, John, Caroline, Harriet, Sarah, Wilson, David R., Eunice, Lydia, Seward and Eugene. Mr. Butler, whose name heads this sketch, was born in Rome, Oneida Co., N. Y., Jan. 22, 1832, received his education mostly in the common school, and was an inmate of his parental home until he became of age. He came to Whiteside County in 1854 and soon afterward purchased a quarter-section of swamp land in the township of Prophetstown, where he settled and lived until about 1861, when he went to Montmorency Township and, in company with his brothers, bought about 320 acres. He now owns 160 acres, on sections 18 and 19, almost all of which is tillable and in good agricultural condition. Mr. B. has held the office of School Trustee, has been School Director several years, and in his political principles is identified with the Republican party. He was married in Sterling, Sep. 15, 1870, to Miss Rosetta C., daughter of Josiah C. Sturtevant (see sketch of the later). She was born in Peacham, Vt., June 28, 1838, and is the mother of Harry and Mary E. [Transcribed by Marji Turner from Portraits & Biographical History of Whiteside 1885 Pg. 522]
William Butman, farmer, residing on section 26, Fulton Twp. is a son of James and Esther (Moulthrop), natives of MA and VT, whose family consisted of five children, namely: Betsey, Melissa, Laura, James and William. William Butman was born in Rutland, Rutland VT, Feb. 10, 1821. He received good common school and academical education, and remained in his native State alternating his attendance at school by working on the farm until 19 years of age. On reaching this age he went to Elmira, NY where he was engaged in the occupation of a carpenter and builder for a year. He was next employed as a passenger conductor on the New York Central R. R., and followed that position for about 17 years. In 1865 he went to New York City, and was there employed in the Custom House as Examiner and Verifier for upward of three years. He then went to Michigan, and entered the employ of the Detroit, Lansing & Northern Railroad, as conductor. He was the first conductor of a passenger train on that road, and remained with the company for 14 years. His health failing, he came to this county, and settled in Fulton Twp.
Mr. Butman was married in Dundee, Yates NY., in 1843, to Miss Clarissa Booth, a native of York State. She bore him five children: Theo. F., William E. and Emily E. Emily E. is the wife of John W. Boyer and resides in Detroit. Sarah and Henry died in infancy. William is employed as postal clerk on the D., L. & N. R. R. and resides at Detroit. Theo, died in 1878, aged 36 years. The wife and mother died in 1871. and Mr. Butman was again married Sept. 17, 1873, to Miss Abbie A. Goodrich, at Ionia, Mich. She was a daughter of Leonard and Juliet Goodrich, and was a descendant from Miles Standish. Her parents were natives of Vermont, and emigrated to Michigan in 1850, and settled in Pontiac, Oakland County. Her mother died there, and her father moved to Ionia, Mich., where he still resides, living a retired life. Mrs. Butman's parents had five children: Melancton S., Norman S., Ellen J., Louisa A. and Abbie A. Mrs. Butman was born in Trumbull Co., Ohio, Dec. 13. 1848, and has borne to her husband five children, of whom two are living - Frank S. and an unnamed infant. Three died in childhood, - Harry, James L, and Etta M. Mr. Butman has held the office of School Director, and politically endorses the principles of the Republican party. Mrs. B., religiously, is a member of the Baptist Church. [Portraits & Biographical Whiteside County IL 1885]
Of Portland Township
John Butzer, farmer and stock-raiser, section 34, Portland Twp. (19 north, 3 east), is a son of Jacob F. and Sarah R. (Rickel) Butzer, and was born in Phenix Township, Henry Co., IL May 17, 1858. His father, a farmer, was a native of Germany, and died in Henry County; and his mother, a native of Ohio, is now a resident of Geneseo IL, aged 55 years. They had seven children, all of who are living; John Jr., Louisa, Marcella, George, Susan, William S. and Ella. George resides in Portland Twp. is a farmer, and his two sisters, Marcella and Ella, reside with him.
John, the subject of this sketch, was reared on the farm. In 1867 the family moved to Portland Twp. settling upon a farm of 160 acres on the section above named, and resided there until 1870, when they removed to Henry County. In 1878 John took charge of a farm of 167 acres, adjoining his present farm, for his father one season; then renting it himself, he has conducted it ever since. April 16, 1883 he purchased his present farm of 207 acres. He raises annually about 100 hogs; also deals in cattle, shipping every year about two carloads; keeps also a few horses and a small dairy, employing usually two assistants. Mr. Butzer was married in Loraine Twp. Henry Co, Feb. 17, 1884 to Miss Christena, daughter of Martin Roos, and born in that township Jan. 6, 1860 and they have two children, both born on the present homesetead - Jessie Blanche, June 16, 1882; and Ada Maud, Jan. 12, 1884. [1885 Portrait and Biographical of Whiteside Co., Pg. 778]
BACK -- HOME
© Copyright Genealogy Trails