WILLIAM H. CADWELL
William H. CADWELL, Justice of the Peace, Notary Public and Clerk of the Village of Rock Falls, was born December 28, 1826, at Hartford, Conn., of which place his parents – Charles and Annie T. (BENTON) CADWELL – were also natives. Mr.CADWELL received a very limited common-school education. Being at the age of 12 years thrown upon his own resources, having to look out for himself, he entered a printing-office, where he remained nearly three years, at the expiration of which time he found employment in a map-publishing house for another year. At the age of 16 years he apprenticed himself to his uncle, Daniel FISH, and completed his trade as a pastry baker and confectioner.
In 1848 Mr. CADWELL married Miss Catharine FISH, of Boston, Mass., by whom he has one daughter, Nellie Frances; she married Mr. W. H. TUTTLE in 1871, with whom Mr. CADWELL is now residing, having lost his wife by death on the 5th of March, 1884. Soon afterward he assumed control of the manufacturing department of his uncle's business. Having a desire to better his condition in life, he took Horace GREELEY'S advice, packed up, and, with his wife and child, his sister and her family, started West, arriving in Belvidere, Boone County, this State, in the spring of 1856, where he again conducted his business, in connection with ice-cream parlors and a news room.
Soon after the breaking out of the war he was appointed agent of the American Express Company, at about which time the printing establishment then known as the Belvidere Union came into his possession, and the name changed to the Boone County Advertiser. In 1868 he disposed of the office to a syndicate of Democrats, to boom the nomination of Horatio SEYMOUR for President. After the election of GRANT the establishment again came into the hands of Mr CADWELL, who discontinued the paper. In 1870 he formed a partnership with Mr. W. H. TUTTLE, and moved the establishment with his family to Rock Falls, and started the first newspaper published on the south side of Rock River, naming it the Rock Falls Progress. After conduction the paper for six years and six months, it was discontinued and the partnership dissolved, Mr. CADWELL continuing in the job-printing business.
In 1882 Mr. CADWELL was elected justice of the Peace to fill a vacancy. At the spring election of the present year (1885), Mr. CADWELL was elected his own successor. He also is appointed by Governor OGLESBYa Notary Public, also for four years, and again re-elected Village Clerk. Politically, he is a republican and takes an active interest in matters pertaining to the growth and prosperity of the Republican Party, and the village and town in which he resides. Socially, he is a member of the Order of Odd Fellows: was an active worker for the organization of Advance Lodge, No. 590, of which he was the first presiding officer; is also a member of the Grand Lodge of Illinois. He is also the first Master Workman of Union Lodge, No. 3, A.O.U.W., of Sterling, the organization of which is due to his labor. He was sent from No. 3 as a delegate for the organization of the Grand Lodge of Illinois, of which organization he was made the first Past Grand Master of the State; also the first Representative from the Grand Lodge to the Supreme Lodge of the United States, meeting at Cincinnati in 1875, which position he filled for three successive terms. [Portraits & Biographical 1885]
Of Lyndon Township
Amos Cady came to Lyndon from New York in 1837. His first wife was Miss Cynthia Smith, whom he married in New York State. The children were Henry, John, Sarah, Leonard, Lemuel, Alonzo, and Amos, Jr. Mrs. Cady died and Mr. Cady married Miss Charity Crippen. The children by this marriage were: William, George R., Eliza, Cynthia, Orlando, Elsie, Adelbert, and who died in infancy. George R. married Miss Nettie V. Parshall: children. Walter D., Alice E., Zella M., Lelia I. and be Witt R. Orlando lives with George R. Amos, Jr., married Miss Lucretia Haskins: Children: Martha, George, Adelbert A. is a telegraph operator, and lives in Chicago. The remainder are in the West. Mr. Cady was constable and deputy sheriff a number of years, he was a very efficient officer, and was always detailed by the Court to do such service as required energy and pluck. [Bent & Wilson History 1877]
GEORGE R. CADY
George R.Cady, Liveryman, at Lyndon, was born August 25, 1840, in the township of the same name. Amos CADY his father, a pioneer of Whiteside County, whither he came in 1837, was born in 1800, in Oneida Co., N.Y. He passed his boyhood and youth in his native county, and in early manhood went to Orleans County, in his native State, where, and in Genesee County, he passed the intervening years, until the year in which he came to Illinois. He journeyed westward by the lakes to Detroit, and from there over land with teams to Whiteside County. He bought a claim of G.G. Woodruff on section 29, in Lyndon Township. A pioneer cabin had been erected, of which he took possession with his family, and entered upon the duties pertaining to the improvement of the land included in his purchase. He secured his claim by the usual method when it came into market and entered a second on section 20. On this he built a frame house, which was one of the first constructed in Whiteside County, a part of the lumber for which he drew from Chicago. The siding of the front was of black walnut. This home he occupied afterwards until the time of his death, which occurred November 5, 1857.
His first wife, born Cynthia Smith, died in 1836. March 21, 1837, he was married to Charity Crippin. She was born January 10, 1812, in Rome, Oneida Co., N.Y., and was the daughter of Peter and Charlotte (Smith) Crippin, both parents being natives of the State of New York. By the first marriage there were seven children, of whom at this writing there are six living. Henry is a resident of Traer, Tama Co., Iowa; Amos lives in Lyndon; John is living in Iowa; Leonard has removed to California; Alonzo resides in Nebraska; Sarah married Chauncey Harkins, of Lyndon. Six children born of the second marriage of Mr. Cady a senior, are still living, and are located as follows: William J., Independence, KS; George R., Lyndon; Eliza, wife of Lewis Gillitt, died in Fayette Co., Iowa, in 1873; Cynthia, wife of Charles Lewis, lives in the county last named; Orlando lives in the Cady homestead; Elza, Independence, Kansas; Adelbert, telegraph operator at Palo, Iowa. Mr. Cady was a prominent citizen of Lyndon Township and discharged his obligations as such in numerous official capacities. He served for a number of years as Deputy Sheriff.
Mr.Cady, of this sketch, received the training common to that usually bestowed on the sons of farmers, operating chiefly after reaching suitable growth on the farm through the greater part of the year and attending the district school winters. He was united in Marriage February 22, 1862, to Nettie Parshall. About the same time he bought a part of the hold homestead and engaged in farming. In 1874 he opened a livery stable in Lyndon, buying the barn and equipments of Charles H. Field; and has since managed a prosperous and profitable business. He has served six years as village Constable, and in the spring of 1885 was re-elected to the same position. His family includes five children: Walter D. is the oldest; Ella married Jay Hazard; Zella, Lelia, DeWitt R., and the youngest, George Myrl, who was born June 9 1885. [1885 Portrait and Biographical of Whiteside Co Pg. 777]
Of Sterling Twp
Wyatt Cantrell was born in Bath county, Kentucky, December 20, 1790, and came to Illinois in 1812, settling then in Sangamon county, where he remained until he came to Whiteside in 1836, and located near Sterling. He made a claim of the prairie in the bend of the river, and also of the large island in Rock river, long since known as Cantrell's island, upon which there was a heavy growth of timber. In 1838 he built a mill on the rapids of Rock river, getting his power by making a dam of loose stones, commencing at the mill house, which was situated at the foot of what is now known as Walnut street, the city of Sterling, and running at an angle of forty-five degrees from the bank of the river. It was at this mill that the people on the east and south sides of Whiteside, and the north side of Henry and Bureau counties, had their grists ground for ten years. Mr. Cantrell took a prominent part in the affairs the county at an early day, and was always regarded as a straightforward, honest, public-spirited man. He died recently at his son's residence in Kansas, and his remains were brought to Sterling, and buried October 31, 1877. He married Miss Sally England in 1815. Their children have been: Eliza, Samuel D., David P., Zebulon, Wyatt, Stephen, William F., Polly Ann, and John H. [Bent & Wilson History of Whiteside Co Page 407]
All records seem to indicate that Wyatt Cantrell's saw and grist mill was the first industry to be established in Sterling. Wyatt Cantrell came to Sterling from Sangamon county in 1836 and settled at the bend in the river two miles east of the city. The large island in the river at that point wsa given his name. in the early days it was a great place for picnics, and was properly called Picnic Island as well as Cantrell's Island. In 1838 Mr. Cantrell built a crude wing dam on the north side of Rock River at the foot of Sixth Avenue. It was built of loose rocks taken from the bottom of the river and laid up to a height of three feet at the point wher the dam joined the bank above the mill. The dam ran about half way across the river at an angle of about 45 degrees from the rier bank. The mill house was a large frame building which served the surrounding area for about 15 years, with customers coming from as far away as Bureau and Henry counties. It was abandoned about the time the Sterling Hydraulic Company built its dame and race in 1854-55. It seems right that Sterling's first industry should have been a mil when one realizes that the sawing of lumber and the grinding of grain for flour were two of the most important services needed by the pioneers. To Wyatt Cantrell must go the honor of being Sterling's first manufacturer, and developer of water power. It was this crude beginning which caused others to see the real possibilities for industrial development at this place. The sucess of Wyatt Cantrell's wing dam convinced enterprising men of means in Sterling that the town needed a bigger and more efficient dam if it was to advance industrially. The State of IL was petitioned for permission to build a dam and under an act of the General Assembly dated Feb. 5, 1849, approval was given to form an association to be known as the Sterling Hydraulic Company for the purpose of improving the water power at this place. In 1852 the property holders of Sterling agreed to deed to John Galt one-half of their unimproved lots in trust, to be conveyed by him as their trustee to a company that would "duly organize under the laws of the state and construct a dam across Rock River, opposite the town, together with a suitable head race." John A. Holland was elected president of the new company and work on the dam was started. It was completed in September of 1855 at a cost of about $7,000. The dam was 1,000 feet lon and 14 feet wide with a head of eight feet, and it furnished 2,500 horse power. In 1867, A.P. Smith bought one-half interest in the water power and built a race at the south end of the dam. He then offered locations on the new water power on the south side of the river. He also laid out a town opposite Sterling and called it Rock Falls. Smith's plan met with immediate success and in a sort time a number of industries were located in Rock Falls. The Sterling Hydraulic Company was a financial success for the stockholders, and of course was the answer to the power needs in Sterling and Rock Falls. [From the Sterling Gazette July 1, 1976]
Homeopathic physician and surgeon, office at his residence in Prophetstown, is a son of Jeremiah and Jane (Treat) Carman . He was born in Sterling, Cayuga Co., N.Y. About the year 1862 his parents' family came to Henry Co., this state. His father was a farmer, and is at present engaged in the grocery business in Geneseo, Henry Co., where his mother is also residing. Dr. Carman was reared on the farm, and finished his education in the High School of Geneseo. In 1876 he commenced to study medicine in the office of Dr. H. I. Hoppins , where he remained until 1880, in the meantime attending the Cook County Hospital one year, and graduated from the Chicago Homeopathic College. He practiced a short time in Geneseo, and afterward followed his profession in Lyndon, this county, 18 months. In the spring of 1883 he moved to Prophetstown, and opened an office and entered upon the practice of his profession at that place, where he has since continued to follow the same. He makes a specialty of chronic diseases and of diseases of children, and has met with vary flattering success in his practice of medicine and surgery. Dr. Carman formed a matrimonial alliance in Geneseo, Henry County, this State, October 25, 1882 with Miss Mary S. Pomery, a daughter of Charles and Sylvia A. (West) Pomeroy. She was born in Henry Co., Illinois, March 11, 1860. One son, Lee J., was born of their union, in Prophetstown, September 16, 1883. The father of Mrs. Carman is deceased, and her mother resides in Moline, Michigan. Dr. Carman is a member of the Order of Modern Woodmen of America, and also of the Rock River Institute of Homeopathy [Whiteside County History 1880]
Michael Carney, farmer residing on section 27, Portland Township, and owning 160 acres thereon, is a son of James and Sally (England) Carney, and was born in Massena Township, St. Lawrence Co., N.Y., April 5, 1847. His father was a native of Ireland, and died when the subject of this notice was about nine years of age. His mother was also a native of the same county, and still resides there. They were the parents of nine children, eight living, all in New York except Michael and one sister. The record is as follows: John, Margaret, William, Michael, Libbie, wife of Joseph Cockins, shoemaker and dealer in boots and shoes at Erie, this county, Mary, James, Robert. James (1st) is deceased.
In 1865, Mr. Carney came to this township without any capital, but with the firm determination to establish a home for himself and family. He was employed by the month for a period of six months, when he hired to his present father-in-law, David Chase, for whom he worked one year. He then rented Mr. Chase's farm of 160 acres, which he continued to cultivate for a period of six years, meeting with success in a financial point of view. He then rented a farm of 200 acres adjoining his present farm on the north, and for four years cultivated it. In 1880 he bought 130 acres of his farm, and subsequently has added, by purchase 30 acres more, which latter purchase occurred in 1884. He now has a nice farm well improved and profitable. Mr. Carney is a member of the I. O. O. F., and has held the position of Constable for four years, having been re-elected in the spring of 1885. Mr. Carney was united in marriage in Geneseo, Henry County, this State, June 21, 1870, to Miss Esther M. Chase. She is a daughter of David and Sally Chase, and was born in Allegany Co., Ny. Y., village of Rushford, Oct. 5, 1848. The issue of their union has been three children, of whom the following is a record: Dency was born Sept. 21, 1871; Zena was born Jan. 14, 1875; and Bertie, born March, 1872, died Aug. 9, 1872. The parents of Mrs. Carney are both deceased. They came from New York to this county, and both died here. [Whiteside County Portrait & Biographical 1885]
JEREMIAH K. CAROLUS
Jeremiah K. Carolus, member of the firm of Greenawalt & Carolus, dealers in grain, coal and lumber, at Galt and Round Grove, was born in Franklin Co., Pa., July 23, 1844. and he is the son of George and Elizabeth (Kuhn) Carolus. His father was born in Pennsylvania and died there July 15, 1856. In 1860 the mother came to Whiteside County and has since resided at Sterling. Their ten children were born in the order in which their names are given, as follows: John F., Isaac, Joanna, Margaret, Elizabeth, Williams, Josiah, Melinda, Jeremiah K. and Emanuel.
In 1860 Mr. Carolus came to Whiteside County, where he arrived in April. He engaged as a farm laborer at various points and spent three years working by the month, after which he operated as a carpenter at Sterling about the same length of time. He then came to Empire in Hopkins Township, and in December, 1866, entered into a business association with Samuel H. Greenawalt, his brother-in-law, for the purpose of prosecuting mercantile transactions. They maintained their establishment at Empire until the spring of 1885, when they sold their stock.
In 1881 they began their operations in coal, grain and lumber at Galt, under the firm name of Greenawalt & Carolus, and in the spring of 1885 they started a branch establishment at Round Grove. They are managing their business relations with profit to themselves and satisfaction to the public generally.
Mr. Carolus is a Republican in political connection, has been actively interested in school matters in his locality, and was elected Town Clerkin the spring of 1885.
His marriage to Mary A., daughter of Joseph and Louisa Lytle, occurred Nov. 28, 1872, in Hopkins Township. Her parents were born in Pennsylvania and settled about 1857 in Whiteside County. Her father died in 1884. Mrs. Carolus is one of six children, who were born as follows: Joseph, Lucy, Mary A., Harry, Maggie and Lizzie. She was born Sept. 23, 1884, in Lancaster Co., Pa., and she is the mother of four children – George L., Bertie, Herbert J. and Edith M. Mr. and Mrs. Carolus are members of the English Lutheran Church, and he is a member of the I.O.O.F. [Portraits & Biographical Whiteside County IL 1885 pg 308]
ALFRED M. CARPENTER
Capt. Alfred M. Carpenter, Master of the steamer "Helen Mar," and a pioneer of Whiteside County, was born in Lake Co., Ohio, May 19, 1836, and is the son of John B. and Mary (Fisk) Carpenter. When four years of age he removed with his parents to Adams Co., Ill., and a few years later to Missouri. In 1846 the family returned to Illinois and settled in Albany, this county. When 15 years of age Alfred began running the Mississippi River, floating rafts, and in 1867 began steamboating. In 1873, after 22 years on the river, 12 of which were spent on the rafts, he had by hard labor and economy accumulated a snug sum of money. This he invested in the purchase of the steamer "Hudson," and began business for himself, as Captain of his own vessel. He had secured a large contract for moving lumber at a figure that promised him a very flattering return for his labor; but misfortune overtook him near the close of the third season. While towing a raft, a log was carried under his boat which "hung her up" in such a manner that she could not be relieved. He left her with the expectation of raising her when the ice should be strong enough to work on. The mildness of the winter frustrated his plans, and in the breakup the following spring his vessel was swept away. By this disaster he not only lost his earnings for so many years of hard work and exposure, but he also lost the benefit of his contract, which was worth at least $10,000, for the reason that he was to move the lumber with the steamer "Hudson."
The following season (1874) he began steamboating again on a salary, since which time he has commanded the following named boats: "Louisville Despatgch," "Andy Riley," "White," "Eclipse," "Stillwater" and the "Helen Mar". He is the present Captain of the latter named boat, which is owned by Knapp, Stout & Co., of St. Louis, and engaged in the lumber trade. Captain Carpenter was married to Albany, Whiteside Co., Ill., Dec. 31, 1857, to Miss Sarah J. Zent, a daughter of John and Myra Zent. Mrs. Carpenter was born in Morrow Co., Ohio. They had five children, three sons and two daughters: Florence C., the wife of Henry Rodman, of Davenport, Iowa; Alfred M. died in childhood; Charles O. is a steamboat mate on the Mississippi; Theodore A. died aged eight years; and Eva J., the youngest, is four years of age. Mrs. Carpenter died May 13, 1882, and Capt. Carpenter was married again Dec. 5, 1883, in Dakota, Minn., to Miss Laura Fox, daughter of Alvin K. and Sophia (Tompkins) Fox. Mrs. Carpenter was born in Minnesota. With the exception of five years spent in Hancock Co., Ill., Captain Carpenter has made his home at Fulton since his first marriage.
He has now had 34 years experience in the lumber and log business on the river, and 13 years as steamboat Captain. With the exception of the loss of his own boat, he has met with no accident of consequence, and enjoys the reputation of being one of the most experienced and successful captains on the river. [Contributed by Debbie Thormahlen - Portraits & Biographical Whiteside County IL 1885 Pg. 235]
CHRISTOPHER C. CARPENTER
Capt. Christopher C. Carpenter, of Fulton, Captain of the steamer "Brother Jonathan," of the Jenks, Mathews & Jordan Line, of Stillwater, Minn., is a native of Whiteside Co., Ill., and was born in Albany, February 20, 1849. His parents, John B. and Mary (Fisk) Carpenter, were among the pioneers of Illinois, of 1840, and of Whiteside County, of 1846, and were originally from New York. The subject of this sketch was brought up on a farm, and in 1864 began steam-boating, and was made Captain of his first boat, the steamer "G.B. Knapp, " in 1870, since which time he has been Master of the steamers "Jim Watson," "Lumberman," "Dexter," "Nellie," "Lafayette," "Lamb" and finally "Brother Jonathan." At this writing he is about starting out on his fourth season as Captain of the last named boat. He has had 20 years experience on the river in the lumber and log business, and 15 years' as steamboat Captain. During this time he has never lost a boat or met with any accident of consequence, but has been very successful, and is held in high esteem as an experienced and trustworthy officer. He was married in Albany, Ill., November 24, 1870, to Miss Mary J. LaRue, daughter of George and Gertrude A. LaRue. Mrs. Carpenter was born in Lee Co., Ill. They have two children, Effie M. and Gertrude A. Capt.Carpenter is a member of Abou Ben Adhem Lodge, No. 148, I.O.O. F., of Fulton, Illinois, and has been through the chairs. In politics he is a Democrat. He has made his home in Fulton since 1870, except two years, from 1878 to 1880, which he spent in Cordova, Illinois. [Portrait & Biographical History of Whiteside Co, 1885]
ROBERT M. CARR
OF Fenton Twp
Robert M. Carr, merchant at Fenton Center, who was born Feb. 13, 1854, in the township of Fenton. Merrill P. Carr, his father, came with his father, Timothy Carr, to Fenton Township in 1838, when he was but eight years of age. Merrill P. Carr was born in Vermont, in September, 1830. He married Phebe A. Hoffman, a native of Virginia. He settled about the time of his marriage on section 20, Fenton Township, and at the time of his death, in September, 1862, he owned 258 acres of land. His widow afterwards became the wife of Paschal Davis, and they reside in Shelby Co., Mo.
Robert M. is the second son and second child. James, his eldest brother, is a practicing attorney at Maysville, Nodaway Go, Mo. Charles W., next younger, lives in Lyndon. Clara married Dyer Booth, and lives in Barton Co., Mo. Lawren D. is County Superintendent of Schools, in Sully Co., Dak. Mr. Carr was reared on his father's homestead and educated in the common schools. He was married Feb. 25, 1875, to Cynthia L., daughter of L. J. and Sarah Robinson. He located on a part of his father's estate, of which he is now the owner. In j88i he went to live at Fenton Center, and in February, 1882, in company with his brother, he established a mercantile enterprise. They conducted their joint business two years, when R. M. Carr became by purchase sole proprietor, and has since managed his affairs singly. In 1884 he leased the elevator at Fenton Center and has since been engaged in traffic in grain and stock. In the spring of 1885 he began the sale of agricultural implements. He is Postmaster of Fenton, to which he was appointed in 1882. They are the parents of five children, namely: Minnie A., Clara E., Sarah A., Linneus M. and Mary L. of Fulton. John was an attorney of LeClaire, Iowa; he married Olive Abbott, and died in July, 1884, leaving a wife and seven children. Edmond L. married Mahala Wright, was a soldier of the late war and died in 1862, leaving a wife and son. Cornelia died in infancy. Cornelia P. is the wife of Richard Green, a merchant of Fulton, Ill. Henrietta, wife of Charles Davidson, a locomotive engineer of Bloomington, Ill. Anna M., widow of William Reed and a resident of Clinton, Iowa. Eliza, wife of Samuel Denison, of Port Byron, Ill. Caleb C., the youngest, is an attorney of Sterling and a Representative to the State Legislature from Whiteside County. He married Josephine Worthington.
Mr. Johnson moved from New York to Indiana in 1832, and in June, 1838, came to Fulton, Ill. He spent the summer at the village and in the fall moved to a farm about five miles distant, and was one of the very first to begin farming in the county. He remained on his farm till 1853, when he returned to the city and in company with his son-in-law, William Knight, purchased and put in operation the first steam ferry between Fulton and Lyons. He subsequently formed a partnership with Daniel Oliver in the grocery business at Fulton, but retired from business several years prior to his death, which occurred Oct. 12, 1876, at his residence in Fulton. His wife survived him till April, 1879. She was an estimable lady and highly respected. Mr. and Mrs. Johnson were members of the Baptist Church for many years. Mr. Johnson was a Whig in early life and on the organization of the Republican party, became an earnest supporter of its policy. He never sought public office and only once served in a public capacity at Fulton, that of Road Commissioner. [Portrait and Biographical Album of Whiteside County, Illinois, Pg 198; Chapman Brothers Publishing Co., Chicago, 1885]
Of Erie Township
Samuel Carr was born in Vermont, May 27, 1815. Married Elizabeth Emmins, February 22, 1843. He died June 22, 1861. Mrs. Carr married Mr. James Collins. Samuel Carr settled in Erie in 1836. He commenced keeping a "hotel" in a log cabin in 1843, when the Frink & Walker Stage Line was carrying passengers and the mails. The "hotel" stood near the site of the present St. Nicholas House. [Bent & Wilson History of Whiteside County IL 1877]
William Cavert, of the firm of Cavert & Mallory, proprietors of the Sterling Iron Works, was born in Washington Co., Pa., Dec. 20, 1837, and is the son of John and Anna (Fulton) Cavert, also natives of the same county. When 13 years of age he left home, and worked on a farm until he was 16 years old. He then learned the carriage-making and blacksmithing trade, at which he worked until 1861; next, learning the business of an "artist," he followed that until 1869, since which time he has been engaged in the machinists' trade. In company with Messrs. Mason & Smith, he in 1874 bought out the iron department of the Empire Feed-Mill Company, and turned the same into their present "Sterling Iron Works." These gentlemen are carrying on a prosperous trade.
Mr. Cavert is a member of the A.F. & A.M., an I.O.O.F., and in political principles is a Republican. He came to Sterling in 1848, and has since resided on Fourth Street, between B an C Streets.
May 18, 1865, he was married to Miss Hattie E. Brainard, a native of the State of New York.[Portraits & Biographical Whiteside County IL 1885 pg 605]
OF Newton Twp.
H.G. Chamberlain, a leading citizen of Newton township, and a worthy representative of the agricultural interests of that section of the county, was born in New York, April 3, 1824, and is a son of B. F. Chamberlain, a native of Connecticut. In 1849 our subject came to Illinois and first located in Rock Island county, where he lived for two years. At the end of that time he came to this county and took up his residence in Newton township. After his marriage, in 1852, he purchased a fine farm of one hundred and sixty acres on section 24, that township, and to its improvement and cultivation he has since devoted his time and attention with most gratifying results. Being a thorough and skillful farmer and a man of good business ability, prosperity has attended his efforts and he is now quite well-to-do. At one time he owned an additional eighty-acre tract, but gave this to his son and now owns only the original farm. Like most of the farming population of the county, he has given considerable attention to stock raising.
On the 14th of October, 1852, Mr. Chamberlain was united in marriage with Miss Susan Walker, who was born in Ohio, November 18, 1827, a daughter of David and Susan Walker. By this union seven children have been born, namely: Eugene H., born March 21, 1855; Arthur B., born August 27, 1857; Irena, who was born April 20, 1860, and died when quite young; Alice M., who was born July 16, 1861. and is now the wife of Milton E. Bull; one who died in infancy; Lena M., born February 22, 1867; and Susanna F., who was born January 22, 1872, and is now the wife of Jacob Odenwald.
By his ballot Mr. Chamberlain supports the men and measures of the Republican party, but has never aspired to official honors though he takes great interest in the national elections. He is a consistent member of the Baptist church, and his well- spent and honorable life has gained for him the confidence and high regard of all with whom he has come in contact either in business or social life. [Whiteside County Biographical Record; 1900, pg 340]
Roswell Champion, Justice of the Peace, Sterling, was born in Lyme, New London Co. Conn. May 26, 1827, his parents being John and Sophia (Lay) Champion, natives of Connecticut and of the old Puritan stock. When he was nine years old his mother moved with the family to Herkimer Co. NY, where they lived until their death, that of his mother occurring in 1875 and his father in Oct. 1884. He lived at the parental home until 21 years of age, having the usual experiences of farm and school life (of the common district school, with the exception of one term at the Institute in Clinton, Oneida County, being a techer the last two years of the above period). Next he was employed four years in a mercantile house at Albion Mich. In 1855 he came to Sterling continuing in the mercantile business, and soon purchased a grocery house, which he conducted a short time. Selling out the latter, he then engaged as bookkeeper for the firm of Galt and Brother, then in the same capacity for the firm of Patterson, Witmer & Co., and continued for some time with Mr. Witmer after the old firm was dissolved. His health failing, he accepted an agency for the Etna Fire Ins. Co. of hartford Conn. and subsequently for other fire insurance companies, in which business he still continues.
In 1869 he was elected Justice of the Peace, and has held the office ever since. In 1873 he accepted a position as cashier in one of the banks at Sterling, which he fulfilled for three years. In the saem year he was appointed School Treasurer, and he still holds the office. He is a Republican and he favors the Swedenborgian explanation of the Word, believeing it to be the most reasonable. he is a member of the presbyterian Church as is his wife.
In December 1869, Mr. Champion married Agnes Wallace a native of PA who came to Sterling with her parents, Hugh and Mary (Galt) Wallace. Mr. Wallace was a lawyer here for many years, retired now and had devoted his attention to real estate until his death in August 1864. Since the spring of 1879 the interests of his estate have been in the charge of Mr. Champion. [Portraits & Biographical 1885, Pg 316]
HORACE H. CHAPIN
Horace H. Chapin, farmer, section 24, Hume Township, was born July 28, 1852, in Litchfield, Conn. Hart H. Chapin, his father, was a cabinet-maker and died two months after the birth of the son. The latter was brought to Prophetstown, this county, when he was five years of age, by his mother, Julia (Johnson) Chapin, and they were residents of that village until about the spring of 1864, when they went to Hamilton, Hancock Co., Ill. The mother died there about nine years after. Mr. Chapin became a farm assistant on removal to Hamilton, coming later to Sterling and moving thence to Hume Township, where he was similarly occupied. Later still, he was employed on a farm in Lee County.
He was married Feb. 19, 1880, to Delia, daughter of James H. Van Demark. (See sketch.) She was born Nov. 4, 1854, in Ulster Co., N.Y. She came to Illinois when she was 12 years of age, and was educated in the common schools of Sterling and Hume Townships. Mr. and Mrs. Chapin have one child, Myrta, born Dec. 14, 1883. They spent the year succeeding their marriage on a rented farm. In 1882 Mr. Chapin took possession of 80 acres of land on section 24, belonging to the father of his wife. In political faith and affiliation he is a Republican. [Whiteside County Portrait & Biographical 1885]
Of Portland Twp
Milo Chapin is a farmer, residing on section 24, Portland Township, and is the owner of 81 acres of land. He is the son of Samuel and Hannah (Jennings) Chapin, and was born in Berkshire Co., Mass., Oct. 23, 1823. His father was a farmer, and a native of Massachusetts, and his mother was a native of Connecticut. Both are deceased. They are the parents of five children, of which Mr. Chapin, of this biographical notice, was fourth in order of birth, and the only survivor. The father died March 9, 1831, and the mother died in Tampico Township, this county, Dec. 29, 1871. Mr. Chapin was reared on the farm in Massachusetts, and received the advantages afforded by the common schools. He remained on the farm until he attained the age of 22 years, when he came West (in 1845) to this county, and worked by the month on a farm until 1849. Previous to that time he had purchased 63 acres of his present farm, and added to it by subsequent purchase until he was the possessor of 375 acres. He gave his son, Samuel, 129 acres, and his daughter, Louisa E., 120 acres, in Prophetstown Township. In 1877 he retired from his farm, and has since continued to rent it. Mr. Chapin was united in marriage, near Lyndon, this county, Sept. 19, 1849, to Miss Sarah E. Lathe, daughter of Reuel and Sally (Robbins) Lathe. She was born in Hornby Township, Steuben Co., N. Y., Oct. 24, 1825. They were the parents of two children, born on the farm: Louisa E., Sept. 16, 1851, and was married April 4, 1877, to Andrew Stevenson, a farmer residing in Portland Township; they have one child, Charlie; Samuel R., born on the home farm, July 5, 1855 and was married Oct. 9, 1879, to Lillie D. Payne; they have three children Milo Wallace, Alma Mabel and John. Mr. Chapin is a member of the Order of Masonry, and also is a Knight Templar. [Portrait and Biographical Album of Whiteside County, IL Page 568]
JOHN W. CHAPMAN
of Sterling Township, IL
John W. Chapman is a native of New York State, and came to Sterling 1835. He made a claim a little west of the present city of Sterling, where the farms of James H. Woodburn, Harrison Whipple, William and James, L. Crawford, and William L. Patterson, are now located. Mr. Chapman claimed a constitutional number of acres - six hundred and forty of prairie, and, one hundred and twenty of timber. He broke and fenced about thirty acres where Capt. Woodburn used to live, and in 1837 sold part of his claim to the Woodburns for $4,000, and a part to Harrison Whipple for $600, reserving a portion for himself. He is now living at Oswego, on Fox river. Wright Murphy came with Mr. Chapman, and lived with him. He was one of the first school teachers in the county. He went with Mr. Chapman to Fox river, and when the war of the Rebellion began, enlisted in one of the Illinois regiments, and served for three years. He contracted disease incident to the hardships and exposure of a service, and died shortly after his return home. [Whiteside Co. History, Bent & Wilson 1877, Pg 407]
Of Prophetstown Township
Zera Chapman with his wife, and a brother named Levi, came to Whiteside county from New. York Statke, in 1837, and settled on section 29 in the present township of Coloma, where he resided, with the exception of a few years absence in California, until 1865, when he moved to, Sterling, which place has been his residence since that time. Levi went away a number of years ago. Another brother, Porter L. came in 1838, remained about ten years, and then returned to New York. [Bent & Wilson History of Whiteside County]
John Charter, President and Treasurer of the Williams & Orton Manufacturing Co., of Sterling, was born in Germany, March 18, 1838, and came to America with his parents in 1844, who settled in Pennsylvania. Mr. Charter, whose name heads this sketch, is a self-educated and self-made man. Leaving his parental home at the age of 13, he first learned the cigar-maker's trade, which he followed in the interest of his employers until he was 19 years of age, and from that time until 1879 he carried on the business of his own account; he then sold out. Previously, in 1875, he had been chosen to his present position, and since 1878 he has had the sole management of the gas company. In 1882 he invented a gas engine, which works successfully and is being introduced. He is a deep thinker, independent in his judgments and reliable in his undertakings. The manufacturing company make four sizes of engines – four, seven, ten and fifteen horse power.
Mr. Charter was married in this county, March 25, 1857, to Rachel E. Adams, a native of Illinois, and they have two children: James, who was born July 25, 1866, and John, whose birth occurred June 20, 1875. [Portraits & Biographical Whiteside County IL 1885 pg 719]
JAMES K. CHESTER
James K. Chester, dry-goods merchant at Sterling, was born at Henrietta, Lornin Co., Ohio, March 6, 1843, the 5th in a family of seven children. Hils father, Edwin Chester, a farmer, was born in Connecticut, came West west to Ohio, then to Michigan and Kansas, where he lived five years with a son, and finally in 1880, to Sterling, where he died, March 29, 1885. His wife, nee Mary E. Porter, was a native of Mass. and died in Ohio, in 1857.
When 18 years of age, Mr. Chester, the subject of this sketch, entered the college at Oberlin, Ohio, at which place he afterward engaged as a clerk in a store for six years; then for the two succeeding years he was a member of the firm of of Reamer, Hubburd & Co. as proprietors of the same establishment. In 1869 he came to Sterling and, continuing in the same business, first was a member of the firm of Mills & Chester, then Ingersoll & Chester, until 1875 , then of the Sterling Mercantile for five years years when he sold his interest in the latter and opened a dry-goods store on Third Street under the name of J. K. Chester & Co., where he has since been prosecuting his business interests, with that marked degree of success which characterizes a solid man of business. He i s a consistent member of the Congregational Church, a member of society in high standing and an influential citizen. He is a member of the A. 0. U. W., of the 1. 0. H. A., and of the American Legion of Honor. He has a fine residence an Ttnird Street. Oct. 11, 1866, is the date of his marriage to Miss Cynthia L. Ingersoll, and they have one daughter, Sophie I., born Jan. 19, 1876. [Portraits & Biographical 1885]
ADELBERT A. CHURCH
OF Montmorency Twp
Adelbert A. Church, farmer, section 22, Montmorency Township, was born April 22, 1844, in Oswego Co., N. Y. His parents, Artemus and Elizabeth (Peck) Church, were natives of the same State and came in 1858 to Whiteside County, locating soon after in Montmorency Township. The father died Feb. 19, 1875, in Coloma Township. Their children, three in number, are named Helen A., Adelbert A. and Morris C. The oldest is the wife of J. M. Golder. (See sketch.) Mr. Church was educated in the common schools and also attended an academy in his native State for a considerable period. He was a lad of 14 when his parents came to the township, where he has since been interested in agricultural pursuits. He owns 400 acres of land, of which one-half has been placed in cultivation. Mr. Church is in sympathy with the principles of the Democratic party. On first coming to Whiteside County he was employed in the office of General Kilgour at Sterling, where he was occupied about three years, and during a part of the time attended school. He has officiated as Supervisor of Montmorency Township two years and about 10 years as Clerk. From 1876 to i88o he was Township Treasurer, and in the spring of 1884 he was again elected; at present he is filling the unexpired term. The marriage of Mr. Church to Alida Van Allen took place Aug. 30, 1870, at Rock Falls. Mrs. Church is the adopted daughter of Col. A. Woodford, formerly a resident of that place. She was born July 20, 1847, in Greene Co., N. Y. The children of Mr. and Mrs. Church are named Earl F., Lawrence A. and Howard L. [Portrait and Biographical Album of Whiteside County, Illinois, Chapman Brothers Publishing Co., Chicago, 1885., Page 481]
BRADFORD C. CHURCH, Jr.
Bradford C. Church, Jr., one of the proprietors of the Sterling Roller Flouring Mill, was born June 20, 1860, at Kankakee, Ill. He came to Sterling with his father in 1868, where he received a practical education, and in the year 1881 accepted a position as bookkeeper in Church & Patterson's mills. After his father's death he purchased his half interest in the mill from the other heirs, and has since been engaged in conducting that establishment. He is one of the young and leading men of Sterling, is a Republican in his political action, and is a member of the A. O. U. W. and of the Order of Modern Woodmen of America. Mr. Church's marriage to Mary Patterson occurred Oct. 17, 1883. Her parents were William L. and Isabel (Wallace) Patterson. Mr. and Mrs. Church have one child, John L., born Aug. 6, 1884. [Portraits & Biographical Pg 264]
BRADFORD C. CHURCH Sr.
Bradford C. Church is a native of Portageville, Wyoming county, New York and was born April 28, 1835. At the age of nineteen he came to Chicago, was a clerk in a store in that city for five years, when he went to Kankakee, Illinois and carried on the hardware business for three years. From Kankakee he went to Morris, Grundy county, Illinois, where he also engaged in the hardware trade, remaining five years. In the spring of 1868 he came to Sterling, soon afterwards became interested in the milling business. In 1871 he entered into partnership with Samuel Patterson, the firm name being Church & Patterson. This firm have two mills in operation, and do the largest milling business in the county. Mr. Church was elected Mayor of the city of Sterling in 1875, and filled the position so acceptably to the people that he was reelected in 1876. He is one of Sterling's active, and most valued citizens. [Bent/Wilson 1877 History of Whiteside Co.]
BRADFORD C. CHURCH, Sr., deceased, in his life-time a highly respected business man of Sterling, was born in Portageville, Wyoming Co., N. Y., April 28, 1834. In 1854 he came to Chicago, where he was employed in a store for five years; then, until 1862, he was engaged in the hardware business in Kankakee, IlL; then, for five years, in the same business at Morris, Grundy Co., Ill., and finally, in the spring of 1868, he came to Sterling and engaged in the milling business. In 1871 he entered into partnership with Samuel Patterson, the firm name being Church & Patterson. In 1875 he was elected Mayor of the city of Sterling, and in 1876 was re-elected. In his political action he was a Republican., Mr. Church died of apoplexy on the cars, on his way home from St. Louis, Sept. 20, 1883. He was one of Sterling's most respected citizens [Portraits & Biographical Pg 265; Note the separate accounts give two different birth years.]
Of Lyndon Township
Alpheus Clark was born in Seneca county, Ohio, April 30, 1823 and came to Lyndon, Whiteside county, with his father, in 1837. In December 1849, he started for California by the ocean route, arriving there in the month of March following. He remained in the Golden State until the spring of 1853, when he returned home, and on the 5th of March, 1854, was married to Miss Augusta P. Gibbs, of Lyndon. The children of this marriage have been: Carrie E., born April 23, 1856, and Minnie B. born February 6, 1859. Carrie E. married Frank H. Robinson, December 23, 1873; one child, Frank, born January 5, 1877. Mr. Clark remained in Lyndon after his marriage until the breaking out of the Rebellion, when he decided to devote his services to his country. He was Postmaster at Lyndon at the time of leaving for the seat of war. In August, 1861, Mr. Clark, in connection with Capt. D. R. Clendenin, and others, raised a Company in Whiteside county, for the 8th Illinois Cavalry. It was mustered in as Company C. of the Regiment, and Mr. Clark elected First Lieutenant, and soon after when the Regiment was in camp at St. Charles, Illinois, elected Captain to fill the vacancy occasioned by the promotion of Capt. Clendenin to the Majorship of the Regiment. This position Capt. Clark retained to the day of his death, with great satisfaction to the men of hIS Company and Regiment. During his military career Capt. Clark was engaged in forty battles and skirmishes. He was an efficient and active officer, and during the brilliant campaign of the 8th Illinois Cavalry, was always at his post, and only once absent from his Regiment on furlough. A few days prior to his death the Governor of the State had issued his commission as Major, but death claimed him before the document could be placed in his hands. His death occurred at Seminary Hospital, Georgetown, D. C., July 5, 1863, and was occasioned by a wound received at Beverly Ford, Virginia, on the 9th of June previous. His remains were brought to Morrison on the 10th of July, 1863, and were buried on the 12th beside those of his father, in the Lyndon Cemetery, the funeral service being attended by a large concourse of friends, and citizens generally of the county, and by a squad of mounted soldiers belonging to his Company and Regiment. Capt Clark was forty years of age. [Bent & Wilson History 1877]
FRANKLIN B. CLARK
Franklin B. Clark, general farmer, section 29, Tampico Township, was born in Tioga Co., N.Y., September 11, 1819, and was reared in his native county. He was first married in Tompkins Co., N.Y., to Miss Lucy A. Shepherd, a native of that State, who was brought up in that county, and finally died there, in 1882, leaving five children, one son and four daughters, all married.
Mr. Clark immediately came West, and was again married, December 27, 1882, to Mrs. Sarah E. Gibson, daughter of Samuel and Lois (Gridley) Hart. Her parents were natives of Connecticut, and settled in Tioga County before their marriage. Mrs. Clark was born in Candor, that county, October 29,1823, received a good education at the public schools, and September 3, 1840, married Rowland Day, a native of Connecticut and a farmer, who changed his residence to the State of New York when 14 years of age. He came West where he died three months afterward, leaving two children bereaved, one whom has since died, namely, Elizabeth A., who married William H. Dow and died in the asylum at Morrison, this county, March 15, 1882, leaving no children. Rowland J. Day, the surviving son, married Miss Lotta Coates, and resides on a farm in Brown County, Dakota. He has two children, Blanch E. and Charles R. For the eight years succeeding Mr. Day’s death, his widow (now Mrs. Clark) resided with her children at Rockton, Winnebago County, Illinois; later, they removed to Port Byron, Rock Island County, Illinois.
Her second marriage occurred November 28, 1861, while at Rockton, to Walter Kingsley, a brother of the late W. C. Kingsley. Who built the Brooklyn Bridge across the East River, N. Y. Mr. K was born in New York, where he was also reared to manhood and received a good education, and early in life became a railroad constructor. He went to Boston, Massachusetts, where he first married Miss Elizabeth Dingley, a native of Massachusetts, who died at Freeport, Illinois, after having become by this marriage the mother of three children. One of these now survives, James A., a thoroughly educated civil engineer of California. The other two died when in infancy. Mr. Kingsley, after his marriage to the present Mrs. Clark, resided at Rockton some years; but, his health failing, he removed to Port Byron, before mentioned, with the view of conducting the National hotel at that place, since consumed by fire. In 1869 he came to this county and purchased a quarter of section 29, Tampico Township, the present homestead, where he died, January 18, 1870, leaving no children. Mrs. Clark’s third husband was William Gibson, a farmer, whom she married February 15, 1871. He was born in Barnesville, Ohio, February 7, 1830, but was brought up in Morris, Grundy County, Illinois. He was first married in Nauvoo, Illinois, to Miss Mary Gleason, who was born and bred in Williamsport, Ohio. By this marriage, there was one child, Charles W., now a postal clerk in the Chicago postoffice. Mr. Gibson died upon the present homestead, June 7, 1876, of heart disease. Mrs. Clark’s present estate comprised of 120 acres of well improved land. As to her religious relations, she was formerly a Presbyterian, but is now an active member of the Methodist Episcopal Church. Her first and last husbands were members of the former denomination, and all except Mr. Kingsley, in political matters, were Republicans. [Portrait and Biographical Album of Whiteside County, Illinois, Chapman Brothers Publishing Co., Chicago, 1885. Pg 618]
John Clark, auctioneer, liveryman, manufacturer and stockman at Morrison, was born March 3, 1840, at Fredonia, Chautauqua Co. NY. Thomas Clark, his father, was a native of England, and married a native of that country. After his removal to the United States he located in the county where his son was born. At that time the public works of the State of New York were being prosecuted to completion, and the senior Clark found ample opportunity for the exercise of his qualiflcations as a contractor in the interests of the State Government. He died about 1850, aged 65 years. Six of the eight children born to him and his wife are still living (1885). The oldest child, a daughter named Mary, is deceased; Elizabeth is the wife of G. H. Holden,a Constable in Fredonia. George is Street Commissioner at Morrison. Maria is the wife of William Green, a farmer near Keota, Iowa. Sarah married H. A. Boyd, of Morrison. Albert is deceased.
Mr. Clark is the fourth child of his parents. He has been a resident of Morrison since 1859. In that year he came hither, and was variously occupied until 186o, when he went to Pike’s Peak. He spent a summer there engaged in prospecting and achieved reasonable success. He then returned to Morrison, where he has been engaged in various enterprises. He has officiated in the capacity of an auctioneer for about 18 years, or since 1867. In 1877 be purchased the livery stable and interests of M. G. Preston, which he leased until 1879, at that date taking its management under his own charge, and has since given it his personal supervision. He keeps about 15 horses on an average, and has all varieties of conveyances suited to his patronage. He also conducts a sale and feed stable. He is the owner of 150 acres of land, which is particularly valuable from its location; 50 acres lying within the corporate limits of Morrison and the remaining portion situated adjoining. He is interested in blooded horses, and makes a specialty of Clydesdales. In the winter of 1883 he formed a partnership with John Ferguson in the manufacture of carriages and wagons, and the firm are engaged in a satisfactory business. Mr. Clark is the proprietor of an icehouse and during the summer months is engaged in the relations pertaining to that business.
He was united in marriage to Jane Boyd, a sister of H. Boyd at Morrison. She was born in 1840 in Scotland and is the daughter of William and Mary Boyd. Mr. and Mrs. Clark are the parents of four children all born at Morrison - Charles, George, Nettie and Walter. The eldest son is in a clerkship at Sterling. The second son is operating in the same capacity in Morrison. [Portrait and Biographical Album of Whiteside County, Illinois, Chapman Brothers Publishing Co., Chicago, 1885]
Norman Clark, senior member of the firm of Clark, Giddings & Co., jewelers, Third Street, Sterling, was born in Cavendish, VT 11 Feb. 1831. His father, Reuben a native of Bane, Mass., and a watchmaker and jeweler by occupation. His mother, nee Prudence Gibson, was born in Rindge, N. H. At the age of 14 years, Mr. Clark commenced to obtain a systematic knowledge of his trade, which he completed in five years. He was also educated at the public school. At the age of 19 he left home and commenced business for himself, in Ludlow, Vt., remaining there four years. Then selling out, he went to Rutland, same State, where he followed his calling, in partnership with a brother, for 18 years. In May, 1872, he sold his interests there and came to Chicago, where he was with Giles Bros. & Co. about two years. He then came to Sterling, with his brother, and opened a jewelry house. In 1880 his brother withdrew, S. P. Giddings taking his place, in partnership, the firm style at present being Clark, Giddings & Co. They are the leading jewelers of Sterling. Mr. Clark is a successful business man, as well as a successful inventor. In political views he is a Republican, and both himself and Mrs. C. are exemplary members of the Congregational Church. Jan. 1, 1857, is the date of Mr. Clark's marriage to Miss Sarah J. Giddings, a native of Vermont, and a daughter of Daniel N. and Beulah (Brown) Giddings. By this union there are three children - Charles N., Anna E. and Reuben N. The first-mentioned married Grace E. Bushnell, of Sterling, and they have one daughter, named Virginia Norman. [Portrait and Biographical Album of Whiteside County, Illinois, Chapman Brothers Publishing Co., Chicago, 1885. Pg 552]
THOMPSON F. CLARK
Of Prophetstown Township
Thompson F. Clark was born in Lower Canada, in 1798, and came to Prophetstown in 1836, settling on the bottom west of the present village. He died in 1846. Mr. Clark married Miss Philena Miller in 1821. Their children have been: Charlotte, now dead; Statira, wife of E. Burchard Warner, living in Prophetstown; Oscar, living in Iowa; Edgar, who married Miss Electa Spencer, and lives in Chicago; Adeline, now dead; Rothchild; who enlisted in the 40th Illinois Volunteers, and died in the service; and Theodore F., living in Prophetstown. [Bent & Wilson History of Whiteside County]
Edward Cleaveland, general farmer and stock-raiser, section 33, Hume Township, was born in Oneida Co., N.Y., Sept 27, 1841, and is a son of David and Amy Cleaveland. He was about 12 years of age when his parents emigrated West with their family and settled in Hume Township. He was reared as a farmer's son, remaining at home until he was 23 years of age. When 21 years old he enlisted for the war in defense of his country, enrolling in Co. C, 75th Regt. Ill. Vol. Inf., at Dixon. The regiment was attached to the Army of the Cumberland, under Gens. Buel and Rosecrans. Oct. 8, he was engaged in the hottest of the battle at Perryville, Ky., and was wounded in both legs below the knees by a gunshot from the enemy. After lying in the hospital about four months he was honorably, discharged on account of physical debility, at Louisville, Ky., Dec. 11, 1862.
Jan. 3, 1865, he was married at Prophetstown, this county, to Miss Harriet Morehead, who was born in Venango Co., Pa., Jan 17, 1847, and came West to Illinois with her father when very young.
Mr. and Mrs. Cleaveland have three children, Amy, Grant and Mary Blanche. During the spring after his marriage Mr. C. settled on the farm where he now resides, then comprising 40 acres but now 160, all well improved and equipped with good farm buildings. In his political views, Mr. C. is a stanch Democrat, and he has been Road Commissioner three years and Tax Collector four years. [Portraits & Biographical Pg 563]
OF Hume Township
David Cleaveland is a native of the town of Western, Oneida county, New York, and was born June 16, 1802. He first came to Whiteside county in 1850, and after selecting his farm in Hume returned to the East, and in 1852 brought on his family, then consisting of fourteen persons. Mr. Cleaveland was married to Miss Amy Hawkins, in Oneida county, New York, in July, 1843. This lady is spoken of in the highest terms by every one in Hume and vicinity. The children by this marriage have been: Delight, Abel, Harmon, George, David, Jr., Mary, Cyrus, Edward, Jay, Nelon, Squire, and three who died in infancy at the old home in New York State. Harmon married Miss Mary Annis and lives in Montana Territory. Squire is unmarried, and lives in Texas. Delight married Ezra P. Adams, and lives in Hume. Abel married Miss Charotte Wright; on the 18th of August, 1855, he died very suddenly of heart disease at his house, in Hume; the widow sometime afterwards married Calos Haven, who is also now dead; Mrs. Haven resides at Port Henry, New York. George married Miss Gertrude Andrews, and lives in Prophetsown. David, Jr. married Miss Almara Walker, and lives in Hume. Mary married William Thompson and lives in Floyd county, Iowa. Cyrus married Miss Mary Mulcay, and Tampico. Edward married Miss Harriet Morehead, and lives in Hume. Jay married Miss Fanny Denison, and lives in Hume. Nelon married Miss Humaston, and lives in Hume. David, Jr. was one of the earliest to enlist as a private in Company B., 34th Illinois Volunteers, and for bravery and pious conduct rose to be Captain. He is universally spoken of by those who know him during the war, as one of the bravest of the Army of the Tennessee. When he arrived at Morrison, on his way home at the close of the war, his father was in attendance at the Circuit Court at that city, as a juror, and was actually one of the twelve in hearing a case, but no sooner did the car whistle reach his ears than he deliberately stepped out of the jury box, seized his hat and turned to go out of the court room. Judge Heaton was presiding, and as soon as he noticed Mr. Cleaveland’s movements, asked him where he was going. “Going to see Dave,” was the sententious reply. “Then hold on a minute" said Judge Heaton, “and I will adjourn Court.” True enough, the Court was adjourned, and Mr. Cleaveland met his gallant soldier son. Two other of his sons were also soldiers in the Union Army, Cyrus in the 34th Illinois Vol. and Edward in the 75th. Edward was wounded, and afterwards honorably discharged. Mr. Cleaveland was Commissioner of Highways of Hume for fifteen years, and also served a term as Justice of the Peace. His farm is on sections nineteen and thirty, and comprises three hundred and twenty acres, all of which lies in a body. [Extracted from Bent & Wilson History of Whiteside County Page 240]
Jay Cleaveland, general farmer, on section 29, Hume Township, was born March 25, 1844, in Lewis Co., N. Y. He has been a resident in the township where he now lives since he was eight years old, his father and mother, David and Amy (Hawkins) Cleaveland, having removed hither from the State of New York in 18542. They settled on a farm which the father had purchased two years before. Mr. Cleaveland was educated and reared to manhood at home, and, on reaching his majority, he was married to Fanny Denison. The ceremony was performed at Morrision, May 24, 1856. Mrs. Cleaveland was born Aug. 9, 1845, in Massachusetts. She came thence with her parents to Prophetstown. Shortly after their arrival there her father died, and she was afterward cared for by her mother. She has been the mother of two children, the older of whom died in infancy: Earl was born Aug. 7, 1874. In 1869 Mr. Cleaveland became the owner by purchase of the farm on which he has since operated, consisting of 160 acres. It was under very imperfect improvement, but now shows the quality of the energy and judgment brought to bear on it. Mr. Cleaveland is a Republican in political faith and connection. He has officiated in several township offices. [Transcribed by Marji Turner - Portraits & Biographical Pg 419]
GEORGE W. CLENDENEN
Of Fulton, IL
George W. Clendenen, M. D., Fulton, is a native of Boone Co., Va. (Now West Virginia), and was born Dec. 4, 1844. His parents were Robert A. and Amanda (Hinchman) Clendenen. George W. came to Cass Co., Mich., with his parents in childhood, and when six years of age his father died, leaving his family in indigent circumstances.
The subject of our sketch was left to shift for himself at an early age. He began by working our summers to earn money to pay his way through school in the winters. He attended the union school of Niles, Mich., till he fitted himself to enter the State Normal School at Ypsilanti, which he did, and passed examination in the literary department and entered upon the classic course. He then became a school-teacher, to provide means of support while he should be engaged in the study of medicine, he having determined to adopt that profession as his calling. He began to read medicine in 1872, with his brother, Dr. Floyd Clendenen, of Dowagiac, Mich., now of LaSalle, Ill. He soon afterward became a traveling salesman for a wooden-ware establishment. Carrying medical books on the various branches with him in his travels, he read and studied them as he could find opportunity. He came to Fulton in 1874, and has since made this his home. He continued on the road till 1876, since which time he has devoted himself to the study and practice of medicine. He took a regular course of lectures at the Bennett College of Eclectic Medicine and Surgery, of Chicago, from which he received his degree of M. D., March 25, 1884; and since that time he has been engaged in the practice of his profession at Fulton, with the very best of success.
He was married in Tuscumbia, Ala., Jan. 15, 189, to Miss Ellen A. Ferriss, daughter of E. W. Ferriss. Mrs. Clendenen was born in St. Joseph Co., Mich. They had four children: Blanch, who died aged two years; Gracie, who died aged one year; Eddie W. and Kittie G., who are living. Dr. and Mrs. Clendenen are members of the Presbyterian Church, and he is also a member of Lodge No. 189, A. F. & A. M. and in politics is a Democrat. Although young in the profession, Dr. Clendenen is securing a rapidly increasing practice as a reward for a zealous and faithful discharge of his professional duties. [History of Whiteside County Portraits & Biographical, 1885]
ROBERT G. CLENDENIN
Of Lyndon Township
Robert G. Clendenin was born January 17, 1812, in Lancaster county, Pennsylvania. In June, 1836, he moved to Ohio, where he remained during the summer, and in the fall came to Plainfield, Illinois, staying there until the next spring, and then came to Whiteside county and made a claim in Lyndon Precinct, now the township of Fenton. Mr. Clendenin married Miss Hannah Clark on the 3rd day of October, 1839. Mrs. Clendenin was born in Cayuga county, New York, March 26, 1818. The following are the children: Frank, born November 23, 1840; William, born April 12, 1845, and Cassius C., born June 27,1850. Frank married Miss Mary A. Smith, March 14, 1866; children, two who died in infancy, and Alpheus Augustin, born December 20, 1875; resides in Morrison. William married Miss Rachel E. Gridley, April 16, 1867; children, Robert Gridley, Frank Joy, and Mable H.; resides in Moline; his wife died at that place October 15, 1877, of consumption. Cassius C. married Miss Nannie Nevitt, June 3, 1874; one child, Ralph Ramsey; resides in Moline. Mr. Clendenin sold his farm in Fenton in 1844, and settled in Lyndon township.
Being an educated, energetic, strong minded man, it was not long before his fellow citizens called upon him to fill positions of public honor and trust. He was elected the first Supervisor of Lyndon, and was re-elected for several successive terms. In 1856 he was elected Sheriff of the county of Whiteside, and again in 1860. From the time of his first election as Sheriff in 1856, until shortly before his death, he served continually either as Sheriff, Deputy Sheriff, or Deputy Provost Marshal. He was admirably fitted to discharge the duties of an executive officer, being prompt, fearless, persevering, and untiring. "The way of the transgressor was hard" when he got after him. He would undergo any labor to do his duty, and had not only the moral courage, but the physical ability to handle evil doers, and bring them to justice. At an early day, and even up to 1858, this section of the country had been infested by counterfeiters. These counterfeiters were shrewd, sharp men, and had for years successfully eluded every effort on the part of the authorities to arrest them. But Mr. Clendenin determined that it should be done, and although the clue at the start was very slight, he followed it up unceasingly until he felt certain that he could lay his hand upon the head man of the gang, and not unlikely several of his confederates. In October, 1858, he had his plans ready, and armed with the requisite documents, and attended by a small posse, made the suspected house, situated about six miles west of Morrison, a midnight visit, and succeeded in capturing four of the leading men of the gang, a lot of dies, and material for making coin, besides a considerable quantity of bogus gold and silver coin already finished and ready for use. The arrest and punishment of these parties completely broke up the counterfeiting business in this locality, and to Sheriff Clendenin the credit was universally conceded to be due for accomplishing the praiseworthy object.
An instance of his daring was shown in the capture of a deserter, a desperate fellow, during the war. While he was attempting to make the arrest he was shot at, the ball passing through his hat, and just grazing his head, but he made the arrest "all the same," and delivered the prisoner to the Provost Marshal of the district. Having at one time pursued a desperado day and night until he arrested him, he took the precaution, as soon as he had the fellow on the cars, to place one handcuff on his own wrist and the other on that of the prisoner, so that it would be impossible for him to escape. Being overcome with fatigue, he fell into a doze, which was soon noticed by the prisoner, who taking advantage of the situation quietly took the key from Mr. Clendenin's pocket, and unlocked his handcuff. Just then Mr. Clendenin awoke, and as the fellow was trying to get out of the car, gave chase; but the prisoner succeeded in reaching the door, and jumped from the cars while they were going at a speed of twenty-five miles an hour, and escaped. Instances like these could be repeated many times - instances in which his qualities as an officer - vigilance, perseverance, moral courage, and pluck - were shown. Mr. Clendenin was an earnest advocate of the rights of man, and became a member of the Anti-Slavery party at its earliest organization. Universal freedom was not a mere hobby with him, upon which to gain a name and reputation, but a fundamental principle that should be enforced, and he never let an opportunity pass to practically enforce it. A fugitive fleeing from the chains of servitude, in the dark days of slavery, always found him ready to afford protection from the pursuer, and to assist him to a land where the Fugitive Slave Law had no binding force or effect. The underground railroad had no more efficient engineer than Mr. Clendenin. Those were the days that required nerve to be a friend of freedom. In 1859 Mr. Clendenin moved his family to Morrison, where he continued to reside until his death, March 12, 1867. As a husband, father, and friend he was governed by the great cardinal principles of the Christian religion, and was loved and revered by all who knew him. [Bent & Wilson History of Whiteside County Page 274]
Nelon Cleveland, a farmer on sections 19 and 30, Hume Township, was born near Rome, N. Y., Dec. 20, 1845. In 1850 his father, David Cleveland, came to Whiteside County, and, after locating a farm in the township of Hume, returned to the State of New York to make the necessary preparations for the removal of his family to the West, which purpose was accomplished in 1852. The family consisted of the mother, Mrs. Amy (Hawkins) Cleveland, and ten children. Three children had died in infancy. David Cleveland was a relative of Stephen Grover Cleveland, President of the United States. He was one of the first extensive land-holders in Hume Township, his original claim consisting of 300 acres of land, which he improved from the unbroken prairie. He died Dec. 15, 1878, aged 77 years. His wife died Aug. 28 of the following year, when she was 73 years of age. Mr. Cleveland was seven years of age when his parents came to Hume Township and he was an inmate of the parental home until he became the head of an independent household, when he was 24 years of age. He was married Feb. 22, 1870, at Prophetstown, to Fanny Z. Humaston. Her parents, Ephraim and Frances (Pember) Humaston, were natives of New York, where all the after incidents of their lives transpired until their removal to Whiteside County. Mrs. Cleveland was born Feb. 26, 1846, near Vienna, Oneida Co.,N.Y. She was the seventh of a family of nine children, and was principally educated in her native county, coming West with her parents when she was 15 years of age. They made their first stop near Aurora, Kane Co., Ill., and in the year following came to Prophetstown, where they passed the remaining years of their lives. The father died in May, 1880; the death of the mother occurred Aug. 15, 1875. Their two children are, Charles D., who was born July 6, 1874; and Jesse E., who died in infancy. Two years after their marriage they moved from Prophetstown to the township of Hume, and rented a farm for three years. In August, 1882, they took possession of the Cleveland homestead, which included 320 acres, all under good improvement, becoming its owner by purchase. Mr. Cleveland is engaged also in feeding and raising Durham cattle. In politics he is a Democrat. Mrs. Cleveland is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church. [Portrait and Biographical of Whiteside Co, 1885]
BACK -- HOME
© Copyright Genealogy Trails