RUFUS E. DADE
Rufus E. Dade, dealer in boots and shoes, and sewing-machines, Fulton City, established his business Jan. 1, 1880. He was born in Odgensburg, St. Lawrence Co., N. Y., June 12, 1844. When three years of age he went with his parents to Fulton, N. Y.; six years alter the family removed to Spring Wells, Mich., where Rufus learned the shoemaker’s trade. On the breaking out of the late war he enlisted, Sept. 10, 1861, in Col F, 5th Mich. Vol. Inf. He participated in the siege of Yorktown, Va., from sometime in April to Mary 3, 1862; battles of Williamsburg, Mary 5; Fair Oaks, May 31, and June 1; Chickahominy, June 26; Malvern Hill, July 1; second Bull Run, Aug. 30; Chantilly, Sep. 1; South Mountain, Md., Sept. 14; Antietam, Md., Sept. 17; Fredericksburg, Va., Dec. 13; Chancellorsville, May 2, 1863; Gettsburg, Pa., Jul 2 and 3; Locust Grove, Va., Dec 27 and 30; and the Wilderness, May 5, and 6, 1864, where he was wounded. He was then in the hospitals at Washington, D. C., and York, Pa., and was sent from the last named place to Detroit, Mich., where he was mustered out of the service Oct. 27, 1864, receiving an honorable discharge. He re-enlisted June 6, 1866, in the 43d Veteran Reserve Corps, and performed duty as an artificer, with the rank of a non-commissioned officer. He was stations at Fort Mackinaw and served till May 26, 1868. He then came to Fulton, Ill., where he was employed as foreman by S. B. Boyer, boot and shoe manufacturer, until he closed business in 1877. He then formed a partnership with Fred Fell in the boot and shoe trade, which connection continued two years. Jan. 1, 1880, he entered upon his present business. He was married at Fulton, Ill., Jan. 26, 1871, to Miss Elizabeth R. Webb, daughter of E. K. and Anna M. Webb. Mrs. Dade was born in Fulton, Ill. They have four children, two boys and two girls; Myrtie E., Laura A., Edwin R. and Bertie A. Mr. Dade has usually voted with the Republican party, but a present is inclined to be an independent. [Portrait and Biographical Album of Whiteside County, Illinois, Chapman Brothers Publishing Co., Chicago, 1885. Pg 309]
Phylarman Daggett is a native of Newport, Vermont, and was born August 17, 1812. He first came to Illinois in 1836, and remained about a year in Will county, and in 1837 settled in Lyndon upon the same place where he now resides. Mr, Daggett married Miss Mary Willey, a native of Derby, Vermont. Mrs. Daggett died without children. Mr. Daggett then married Mrs. Jane Newhall, at Lyndon; they had one child by this marriage, Mary F. Mrs. Daggett died and Mr. Daggett afterwards married Mrs. Philena L. Jeffers; children: Helen A., and Harvey. Mr. Hazard's house was the only one in the resent village of Lyndon when Mr. Daggett settled there. Mr. Daggett has been a member of the Congregational Church at Lyndon since 1839, is a sincere and devout Christian, and has devoted his attention largely to Church and Sunday School matters. [Bent & Wilson History of Whiteside Co. 1877]
Phylarman Daggett, deceased, farmer resident of Lyndon, was born Aug. 17, 1812, in Newport, Orleans Co , Vt., where he lived during his boyhood and youth. He learned the trade of a cabinet-maker in his native town, He came in 1836 to Plainfield, Will Co., Ill, and in 1837 he removed to Whiteside County, locating in Lyndon township. He boarded for a time with William Dudley, and, while improving his land, worked at intervals at his trade. In 1847 he removed to the village of Lyndon, where he died, July 3, 1880. He was an earnest and devoted Christian all his life, and was active in Church work. Mr. Daggett was united in marriage three times. He first formed a matrimonial alliance with Mary Willey, who was born in Derby, Orleans Co., Vt. She died 11 months after marriage, without issue. Mr. Daggett's second wife was Jane D., widow of Augustus Newhall, and they had one child, Mary F. She married Freeman H. Kniskern. The mother died Feb. 14, 1855, and Mr. Daggett was married July 22, 1869, to Lois Philena (Fitch) Jeffers. She was born in Pike Township, Bradford Co., Pa., and married for her first husband Perry L. Jeffers. Charles P. Jeffers, only son by her first marriage, was born Jan. 30, 1853, in Lyndon. He received a careful primary education, and entered the University of Illinois, where he graduated in June, 1874. In the spring of 1875 he went to Boston, Mass., and became a salesman in the well known Shepard's drugstore, where he operated one year, meanwhile attending the School of Pharmacy and gradoated. He went next to a situation in a drug store at Ipswich, where he continued until 1880. In that year he established himself in business at Swarnpscot and has since continued its successful management. He was married Dec. 25, 1875, to Elizabeth Stalker. She was born in Ipswich, Essex Co., Mass. Their two children are named Leroy and Lyndon. The children of Mr. Daggetts third marriage were Helen and Hervey F. [Portrait & Biographical Hist ory of Whiteside Co 1885]
REV. JOHN DALY
Rev. John Daly, Priest, lately in charge of the Catholic Churches at Sterling and other places in this county, came to Sterling, June 5, 1863, at which time the circuit comprising his congregations extended fro many miles around, to all of which he administered for 13 years. Father Daly was born a short distance from the city of Dublin, Ireland, May 9, 1822 or ’24, his parents being John and Catherine (McCabe) Daly, who were natives of Ireland. He was sent to live with an aunt in his childhood, as she had no children. He made it his home with her until he emigrated to America. At the age of 12 years he learned the wheelwright trade, which he followed during his residence in Ireland. At the age of 20 years, after coming to New York city, he commenced to work at the carpenter’s trade, which he followed for six years. At this time he was married to Miss Ann Fagan, who lived but a year afterward. The under the advice of Father John Kelley, of Jersey City, he commenced attendance at college, which he continued for eight years. After the completion of his studies, he was ordained Priest by Bishop Duggan, of Chicago, May 24, 1863, to take charge of the missions at Sterling, Fulton and the neighboring towns. For a more complete account of his parishes, see a subsequent portion of this work. Father Daly is a highly respected citizen, esteemed by the Protestant population as well as by his own people. [Transcribed and Contributed by Marji Turner from Portraits & Biographical 1885 Pg 702]
ALFRED B. DANIELS
Alfred B. Daniel a prominent agriculturist of Whiteside County, and is a citizen of Clyde Township, where he is located on section 21. He is a native of the county, having been born in Jacobstown, Mt. Pleasant Township, June 15, 1842, and was one of the first white children who began life in Whiteside County. His father, Henry Daniel, was a miller by profession, and was born in England. In early life he emigrated thence to Canada, where he married Lydia Hollenhead, and lived a considerable time with his family in Ontario. The father was the operator there of a water-power grist-mill, which he managed some time, and afterwards became the owner of a large tract of land in Clyde Township. Later he went to Houghton, on the Mississippi River, in Iowa, where he operated as a miller until his death about the year 1848. The mother, so far as known, was born in the province of Ontario, where she was brought up and educated. Her death took placed in the township of Clyde about the year 1857.
The son, who is the subject of this sketch, lived with his mother until her death. He was then 15 years of age, and he entered the family of a man named Dent, one of the oldest citizens of the township of Clyde, who is still living. Mr. Dent released him from his obligations to himself, when he was 20 years of age, and he passed some time in general farm labor. The first event of any importance was his marriage Feb 12, 1866, (Illinois Marriages have 15 January 1867) to Cynthia Mutart/Mutard, who was born in Canada, and came after reaching womanhood to Whiteside County, where she found a home with her relatives. She was of mixed French and English extraction, and died Aug. 9, 1871, in Clyde Township., Of this marriage two children were born, as follows: Lydia, Oct, Oct. 9, 1867; and Ora, Oct. 16, 1869. The second marriage of Mr. Daniel, to Mrs. Jennie (Schwarer) Lay, occurred Jan. 31, 1878, in Ustick Toiwnship. She is the daughter of John V. and Marie (Oberacker) Lay. Her parents were born respectively in Prussia and Bavaria, and were both of German ancestry. Mrs. Daniel was born Oct. 25, 1855, in Germany, and when she was six years of age emigrated with her parents to the United States and located in the State of New York. The father died there in 1864, of quick consumption, and the death of the mother, of the same disease, occurred in 1866. The daughter was 11 years of age when she was wholly orphaned, and she was cared for by strangers until she was married to Harry K. Lay, that event occurring July 29, 1874. She became the mother of one child, Roswell L., born Aug. 16, 1875. At the time of her second marriage she was a resident of Clyde Township. Mr. and Mrs. Daniel have three children, born as follows: Bertha L., Nov. 29, 1878; Reuben H., May 17, 1882; and Alfred D., Sept. 12, 1884. After his first marriage Mr. Daniel located on the homestead of his father, where he had control of one-fifth of the estate for some time, and later purchased the interests of the other heirs. He owns 170 acres of land, all of which is well improved, fenced, stocked and supplied with good buildings, among which is one of the best stock and grain barns in the county. He is a Democrat, and has never aspired to the honors of official life. [Transcribed and Contributed by Marji Turner from Portraits & Biographical 1885 Pg 7454]
BURRELL V. DANIELS
Burrell V. Daniels, farmer, section 5, Union Grove Township, has been a resident of Whiteside County since 1849. He was born in Canada, Feb. 14, 1833. His father and mother, Asa and Almira (Vance) Daniels, were natives of Vermont. They were residents of Canada after they were married, and returned to Vermont, whence the father came, in 1846, to the township of Ustick and located on section 32. In 1850 his family joined him. The senior Daniels met his death April 14,1874, by a fall from a load of hay. The mother is living in Ustick Township. Their family included seven children,-David, Warner, Amos and Asahel (twins), Sylvia, Burrell V. and Martha. Mr. Daniels came to Whiteside County in June, 1849, and has since been engaged in farming. He is now the owner of 310 acres of land in the township of Union Grove and has placed 250 acres under tillage. His stock includes 18 horses, 20 head of cattle and he fattens an average of 40 hogs annually. He is identified with the Republican party in political sentiment and action. The marriage of Mr. Daniels to Mary E. Cass took place Feb. 14, 1855, in Ustick Township, and they have had three sons,- Wallace M., Wyman F. and Adelbert W. The second child died when one year and eight months old. Mrs. Daniels is the daughter of Jehiel and Sally (Scott) Cass. Her parents were natives of Vermont and had nine children,- Cynthia, Rosina, Maria, Mary E., Sarah, George, Alonzo, Emily and Estella. Mrs. Daniels was born June 4, 1836, in Canada; at the age of 3 years, her parents moved to Irasburg, Orleans Co., Vt., where they lived until they came to Whiteside County in 1854. Her mother died July 26, 1869, in Union Grove Township. Her father is a farmer in Dakota, where he went in the fall of 1883. He is in his 79th year. Mr. Daniels, and also his children, are zealous and able Republicans, advocates of temperance and opponents of secret societies. [Contributed by Debbie Thormahlen - Portraits & Biographical Whites ide County IL 1885 Pg. 267]
HENRY W. DANIEL
of Clyde Township
Henry W. Daniel was born in Norfolk County, England and settled in Canada. In 1838 he located in Clyde. Mr Daniel married Lydia Hollinshead in 1835. He was instrumental in the building and running of the mill now known as "Brothwell's." It is said that a machine used in connection to grind grain was stolen and carried off, a very extensive theft in those days. Children: Robert, Hugh, Alfred, John, and Mary. John and Alfred are still living upon the homestead. Robert is in Kansas City. Mary is in Iowa, teaching school. [Extracted from Bent & Wilson History of Whiteside County Page 144]
Amos Daveler, of the firm of Daveler Bros., wagon and carriage manufacturers, Third Street, Sterling, was born in Lancaster Co., Pa., Oct. 9, 1847. His father, Jacob Daveler, a native of the same State, was a farmer and came West in 1871, settling in Sterling; and his mother, nee Catherine Yentzer, was also a Pennsylvanian. The subject of this sketch began to work for himself away from home at the tender age of 12 years, laboring upon a farm until he was 17 years old. He then enlisted for the Government, under the 100-day call. Serving out his time, he re-enlisted in the 195th Reg. Pa. Vol. Inf., for one year, and also served during this period, except six days, when the Regiment was discharged and her returned home. After working for a time on a farm, he came, in the spring of 188, to Sterling, Commencing to work as a carpenter. Working at this trade a year, he served three months as an apprentice at wagon-making. Next he continued in the latter calling for John M. Galt for a period of two years. He then started out in the same business for himself on Second Street, sterling, where the Waverly House now stand. In 1876-7 George Newton was his partner for a year. In 1878 he erected a shop on Third Street, where he has since carried on the business with satisfactory success. He is an energetic, industrious worker, and an exemplary citizen. He is Republican in his political creed, and in regard to religion he, as well as his wife, belongs to the Methodist Episcopal Church. He was married Aug. 19, 1869, to Miss Anna S., daughter of Joseph Bowman, of Strasburg, Pa. [Transcribed by Marji Turner from Portraits & Biographical 1885 Pg 713]
Emanuel Daveler, Wagon and carriage maker, Third Street, Sterling, of the firm of Daveler Bros., was born in Pennsylvania, June 29, 1850, his parents being Jacob and Catherine (Yentzer) Daveler. His father was a farmer, and caem to Sterling in 1870. Mr. D. received a common-school education in his youth, and at the age of 14 years left home and worked at farming, the vocation of his father, until he was 20 years of age; then worked at wagon-making a year as an apprecntice, then two years as a journeyman; next he followed farming again for seven years, on rented land; and lastly, in 1882, he came t Sterling, where he has since been engaged as above mentioned. He is a Republican on national issues, and a member of the Baptist Church, as is also his wife. He was married Sept. 30, 1873, to Miss Emma F. Jones, of Sterling, and they have one daugher, Matta L., who was born April 7, 1879. [Transcribed by Marji Turner from Portraits & Biographi cal 1885 Pg 481]
Of Prophetstown Township
Alonzo Davis was born in Worcester county, Massachusetts, in 1815, and moved to Oneida county, New York, when quite young. In 1834, he came to Chicago where he worked at his trade, that of wagon maker, for about a year, and then came to Prophetstown. He has made, and purchased, several claims since his residence in the town, and has also worked at his trade. He is still living in Prophetstown. He married Miss Mary Warner in 1839; no children. [Bent & Wilson History of Whiteside County]
Frank Davis, farmer and stock-raiser, section 3, Tampico Township, was born in Lyndon, this county, Sept. 16, 1854. His father, Isaac S. Davis, was a native of New Jersey and a farmer; his mother's maiden name was Jane Belt, and she was a native of Ohio. His parents emigrated to the West in 1840, and were among the first settlers in Lyndon Township. His father died in August, 1881, aged 66 years, and was buried at the Lyndon Demetery. His mother is still living with her son Frank, and is now 68 years of age. Mr. Davis, the subject of this sketch, is the youngest of a family of seven children; he attended the common schools of his native township until he was 14 years of age, when his parents removed to Tampico Township, locating upon a splendid farm of 160 acres, where he developed a taste for agricultural pursuits, and since the death of his father he has been the possessor of the homestead. The whole acreage is well improved and in fine condition. Mr. Davis is also successfully increasing his operations in rearing live stock. In his political views he is a Republican. [Portraits & Biographical Pg 566]
DR. REUBEN DAVIS
of Hahnaman Township
Reuben Davis, physician and farmer, residing on section 3, Hahnaman Township, is one of the extensive land-holders and truly practical and representative men of Whiteside County. The Parents of Dr. Davis, William and Hannah (Appleton) Davis, were natives of Maine, from which State they moved to Ohio, where they resided the remainder of their lives. They were the parents of 13 children, namely: Eliphalet, John A., Mary A., Rhoda, Hannah, Reuben, Sarah, Francis A., Isaac, William, James E. and Joshua C. One died in infancy. Reuben Davis, subject of this biographical notice, is a native of Ohio, where, in Morgan County, he was born Oct. 17, 1819. The country was new in the locality of his birth at that date, and his early education was consequently limited. His early years were passed on the farm and in working on the Ohio and Mississippi Rivers, which vocation he followed, more or less, until the date of his emigrating to this State. In 1845 Dr. Davis matriculated at the Medical College at Cincinnati, Ohio, and followed the entire curriculum of that institution, graduating with honors in March, 1849. Soon after leaving the college, he engaged in the practice of his profession in Perry Co., Ohio, and followed the same with a flattering degree of success until February, 1853. He then came to this county and settled in Como, Hopkins Township, where he continued to practice medicine over two years, when he purchased land in Montmorency Township. He moved upon his land and began to cultivate it extensively, alternating his labors thereon by the Practice of his profession.
In the fall of 1858 Dr. Davis moved into Hahnaman Township and settled on section 3, his present residence He determined to make this his permanent home, and at once entered on the improvement of the land, erected good buildings and otherwise ornamented and improved his homestead, and at the present time he has a home for himself and family in which they all take pride, realizing it was procured through arduous toil and untiring energy and determination. The Doctor has been a very extensive land-holder in the county, owning at one time some 1,4oo acres. His landed possessions in the county at present comprise some 645 acres, all improved, and for his success in life he has none to thank except his own good judgment and energy, coupled with the hearty co-operation of his good helpmeets.
Dr. Davis was united in marriage to Miss Mary Ann Geddes in Morgan Co., Ohio, Dec. 17, 1839. She was a native of Pennsylvania, in which State she was born in March, 1819. The issue of their union was five children. Two died in infancy and those surviving are Naomi W., Martha J. and Thomas H. B.
The wife and mother died in Morgan Co., Ohio, March 28, 1848. In the same county Dr. Davis was again married. This wedding occurred Oct. 2, 1849, and Miss Elizabeth H. Work was the bride. She is the daughter of David and Sarah (Ross) Work, natives of Ohio, and in which State she was born May 6, 1832. By the latter union 12 children have been born, namely: Francis C., Sarah X., Robert L., Thaddeus C., Hannah A., Mary G., W. Alice, T. McClellan, Dora S., Reuben H., Jessie L. and J. Darwin: ten of these are living. Dr. Davis, although not seeking office, has almost constantly been honored by the citizens of his township with some office. He was Supervisor six years, Justice of the Peace iz years and Assessor and Collector several years. In fact, he has held almost every office in the township, and at this writing is performing the functions of the office of Township Clerk and School Trustee. Politically, Dr. Davis is a supporter of and believer in the principles of the democratic party and cast his first vote for Martin Van Buren in 1840. As a truly representative man of Whiteside County, and as one the citizens can but feel pleased to see represented among the portraits we give in this work, we give that of the subject of this biography. It is engraved from photograph taken in 1884. [Transcribed by Christine Walters; Portraits and Biographicals, 1885]
Dr. Reuben Davis is a native of Ohio and came to Whiteside county in 1854, settling first in Montmorency, purchasing land on section 22 of that town. He remained in Montmorency until 1857, when he moved to Hahnaman and purchased the large farm upon which he at present resides. The people of the town early discovered his fitness for public position and at the first election after the town was organized he was elected Collector. He was afterwards repeatedly elected Supervisor and Assessor of the town. Perhaps no man in Hahnaman has taken a more leading and active part in forwarding the interest of the town than Dr. Davis. He is a thorough agriculturist, justly priding himself upon the success of his crops and the superiority of his stock. During the first part of August 1877 he entered into the mercantile business also, with one of his sons, at the village of Tampico, erecting a fine brick store for the purpose. [From Bent-Wilson 1877 Pg 236]
George de Bey, general merchant, also senior partner of the hardware firm of De Bey & Van Dallen, at Fulton City. Mr. de Bey in his individual store carries an extrensive stock of general merchandise and is also agent for ocean steamship liens, and for the Germania and New York Underwriters’ Fire Insurance Companies. The firm of De Bey & Van Dallen carry a well assorted stock of shelf and heavy hardware and agricultural implements. Mr. de Bey is a native of Holland and was born July 21, 1848, and is the son of John and Angeline (de Junge) de Bey. He emigrated to America in May, 1868, came directly to Chicago, where he learned the trade of mason and plasterer, at which he worked in that city for eight years. In the fall of 1876 he came to Fulton and engaged as contractor and builder. Among the building which he erected may be mentioned the new dormitory of Northern Illinois College and others.
In April, 1877, he established his mercantile house and has carried it on continuously since. The following year he added hardware and farm machinery to his other business, and in April, 1881, formed the existing partnership with Mr. John Van Dallen in the hardware and farm implement business. Mr. de Bey’s stock in his general store averages about $7,000, while in the hardware tore the stock holds at about $3,500. He was married in Chicago in September, 1869, to Miss Teitje de Graff, daughter of Franke de Graff. Mrs. De Bey was born in Holland and came to America in 1869. They have five children, three boys and two girls, -- Lena, Frank, Jennie, John and Joe. Mr. and Mrs. De Bey are members in full standing of the American Reformed Church, of which Mr. de Bey has been an Elder nearly eight years. Mr. DeBey votes with the Republican party, of which he is an earnest supporter. He is a thorough business man in all his ways, and has succeeded in his undertakings so well that he is reckoned among the leading merchants of Fulton. [Transcribed by Marji Turner from Portraits & Biographical 1885 Pg 646]
ARTHUR E. DEEM
Of Rock Falls
Arthur Deem was born Oct. 11, 1877 in Evanston and the family moved to Sterling when he was a youth. Deem moved to Rock Falls in the early 1900's when he accepted employment at the Russell, Burdall & Ward Bolt & Nut Company in 1907. Earlier he was employed as a machinst at the firm of Cobb & Drew which occupied a portion of the Old Flexonic building. Prior to that, he was employed by the Charter Gas Engine Company and worked in experimental and metal pattern department of Butler and Utley before the firm was purchased by International Harvester Co. Deem was a veteran employee of some 42 service with the RB & W at the time of his retirement Feb. 1, 1949. At the time of retirement, he was the superintendent of the RB & W machine shop. Deem was active in civic and church programs having served as a member of the Rock Falls Elementary board of educaiton and a member of the Community General Hospital board of directors during the major expansion project which was completed in 1956. He was also a member of the Masons, the Sterling Elks and the Rock Falls Methodist Church. He married the former Genevieve Coe and they were the parents of two daughters, Mrs. Fay (June) Robinson and Mrs. Virginia Hunter, and one son, Arthur A. of Rock Falls. The Deem home is located at 314 E. 2nd St. in Rock Falls.
As in the war before, as well as the two big wars to follow, men from Rock Falls were to enlist and make individual contributions as well as sacrifices which were later to be noted in the pages of history.
The Sixth Illinois Volunteer infantry history includes the names of a number of Rock Falls and area men who volunteered and "served the call to colors" d uring the Spanish-American War in 1898.
Among the young soldiers to enlist in this conflict at the turn of the century was Arthur E. Deem at the age of 20. At the time of his death in 1964 at the age of 87, Deem closed another chapter in the history book for he held the distinction of being the last remaining veteran of the Spanish-American War from Rock Falls. Deem, after enlisting in the "Old Sixth" was assigned to Company E of the Sixth Illinois Volunteer Infantry Division. The Sixth IL Vol. Inf. was ordered to the state capitol in Springfield on April 26, 1898. They left Springfield on May 11 by rail enroute to Camp Russell A. Alger in Virginia and they arrived on May 20.
"The Sixth" remained at Camp Alger until July 5, when the regiment left again by rail, for Charleston SC arriving July 6. Company E., of which Deem was assigned, along with Companies I and F, boarded the heavy cruiser USS Columbia and on July 11 they arrived at Santiago just after the bombardment had stopped. They were followed by Company A on the USS Yale and Companies B, C, G, H, K, and L on the USS Rita which arrived in Cuba on July 15. Companies D & M embarked on Transport No. 21 and arrived at Ponce, Puerto Rico on July 27.
An interesting note is the fact the American troops from Company E did not land at Cuba and on July 21, left Santiago with their effectiv force of 3,300 infantry and artillery. On July 25, Deem's Company landed at Guanica, Puerto Rico which was occupied by some 8,223 Spanish regular soldiers and 9,107 volunteers. The first American troops to land on Puerto Rican soil was a compnay of U.S. Marines who hoisted the "Stars and Stripes." It proved to be a peaceful occupation of the island and the Spanish troops did not act on the offensive. The Sixth had only one small skirmish with the enemy on July 26 some four miels from Guanica. The troops left Guanica on July 30 during a trying march over poor roads caused by the rain, food not fit to eat and other problems in the strange country. They arrived at Ponce where they remained until Aug 8, when the regiment moved to Guaragos. On Aug. 10 they left Guaragos marching four miles over the mountains and advanced to Adjuntas Aug. 11. They camped there until Aug. 16 when they marced to Utnado. On Aug. 26 the troops left Utnado and returned to Adjuntas and then returned to Ponce where they camped until Sept. 7 at which time they embarked on board the USS Manitoba at Port Ponce and arrived at Weekhawken NJ Sep. 13.
The Regiment left Weehawken by rail and arrived in Springfield on Sept. 16 where they were assigned to Camp Lincoln. On Sept. 22, 1898, all the "Old Sixth" were giv en 60 day leave with order to return to Springfield where the regiment was officially mustered out on Nov. 25, 1898. Rock Falls men on the original roster were Gus Hanson, Deville B. Deyoe, Chrales and Henry Eberle, Charles Johnson, Bert Palmer, Herman Rodemeyer, Frank Rossiter, Sgt. F.E. Wagley, H.N. Geyer, Sam Feigley, and Frank Blair, M.L. Alpress from Montmorency was also on the roster. [Daily Gazette Bi-Centennial Edition, 01 July 1976]
JAMES M. DEETS
A life of industry is bringing to James M. Deets the success which ever crowns persistent, honest and honorable labor. He carriers on farming and wagon-making and his home is in Hopkins twp. His birth occurred in Genesee township, this county, April 6, 1865, his parents being Lewis and Margaret (Wetzel) Deets, the former a native of Germany and the latter of Ohio. In his youth the father lived near the Rhine but when he was six years of age he was brought by his mother to America, the family home being established in Philadelphia. Three years later they removed to Massillon Ohio, and subsequently about 1850 came to Whiteside County, settling in Genesee township. Mr. Deets first purchase of land brought him eighty acres, for which he paid five dollars and a quarter per acre. He afterward sold that property and bought one hundred and sixty acres east of Coleta for forty dollars per acre. Upon that place he made substantial improvements and brought the farm under a high state of cultivation. Year by year, he carefully conducted his labors and met with gratifying success in his undertakings. In 1875 he bought two farms in Hopkins township, one comprising one hundred and sixty acres and the other one hundred and twenty acres. His success was attributable entirely to his own labors for he started out in life practically empty handed and as the years passed his deligence and persistency of purpose gained for him a comfortable competence.
In the year 1856 Lewis Deets was married to Miss Margaret Wetzel, a daughter of John and Margaret (Reece) Wetzel, who were natives of Franklin county, PA and of MD respectively. They resided for some time in Summit county OH and afterward removed to Stark county, that state, where they lived until coming to Whiteside. Mrs. Deets was one of a family of thirteen children and is descended from ancestry whose loyalty was proven at the time of the Revolutionary war. Her paternal great-grandfather was an extensive miller, owning and operating two large flour mills in PA. At the time of the early struggles for American independence he taxed thos mills to their utmost capacity, grinding grain to be made into bread for Washington's army. On one occasion his son, the grandfather of Mrs. Deets, then a youth of seventeen, was attacked when hauling supplies for the American army by a squad of British soldiers. He managed to escape but at great risk of his life and seven bullet holes were found in the wagon in which he was driving. His mother shared the patriotic spirit of the family, doing everything in her power to promote the cause of liberty. She begged bread for the army until she became afflicted with blindness and did everything she could for the comfort and welfare of the soldiers.
Lewis Deets, the father of our subject, was a soldier of the Civil War. In 1861 he left the plow and went to the defense of the Union, encouraging by his brave wife. He enlisted at Polo IL in Company H, of the Fifty-fifth Illinois Infantry, under command of Coloney Heffleman and served until the close of hostilities, participating in the siege of Vicksburg, the battles of Chancellorsville and Lookout Mountain and other engagements. At the close of the war he returned home and resumed the pursuits of civil life, continuing to devote himself to his home and his business until he was called to his final rest on the 14th of July 1882. He left a record of good citizenship and of noble character. He was widely known as a devoted husband and father and a faithful friend. His family numbered twelve children; Wilson W. a farmer residing at Emerson, this county; Elizabeth the wife of Henry Johnson, a grain buyer and landowner, who possesses over a thousand acres of land in the state of Washington near Almira; Charles F., who is a successful lawyer living at Davenport, Washington, and serving as county treasurer of his county; James M. of this review; and eight who died in infancy.
James M. Deets was educated in the common schools of Emerson and at the age of seventeen learned the trade of wagon-making. He attended night schools and made use of every opportunity for advancement in intellectual as well as business lines. When twenty-one years of age he started in business on his own account and began wagon-making in 1886. He is an excellent workman and turns out a superior product. He also carriers on farming and has a tract of rich land of three hundred and fifty acres in Hopkins township and four hundred and eighty acres in Douglas county, Washington. He is a man of resolute spirit, who carries forward to successful completion whatever he undertakes. His work is carefully systemazized and the best results are thus obtained. On the 8th of November 1888 Mr. Deets was married to Miss Olive E. Carolus who was born in Emerson IL February 8, 1871 a daughter of William and Margaret (Feightner) Carolus, both natives of Pennsylvania. Her paternal grandfather, George Carolus, was a farmer by occupation and spent his entire life in the east dying in 1856. He was married Feb. 3, 1829 in Chambersburg PA, to Elizabeth Kuhn, who was born March 26, 1806 in Franklin county, that state and four years after the .... (and the rest is lost).. Contributed by M. King Deets; Whiteside County History, S.J. Clarke Publishing 1900]
MARGARET (WETZEL) DEETS
Nearly forty-five years have rolled away since Mrs. Margaret Deets came to Whiteside county, and now, after many years of such hardship and privations as only the pioneers know, she is passing the evening time of her life surrounded by the comforts and privileges which were beyond her reach in her young womanhood. She comes of the sturdy old patriotic stock which laid the foundations of this great republic, "building better than they knew." Her paternal great-grandfather, who owned two large flourmills in Pennsylvania, taxed his mills to their utmost capacity, grinding grain to be made into bread for teh army of Washington. On one occassion, when his son, the grandfather ofMrs. Deets, then a youth of seventeen, was engaged in driving a large team of horses, hauling supplies for the army a squad of British soldiers attacked him, and though he managed to escape, seven bullet holes were found in the wagon-bed. The mother of the young patriot did all within her power for the cause of the colonists and it ws not until blindness afflicted her that she ceased to bake bread for the army. The parents of Mrs. Deets were John and Margaret (Reece) Wetzel, natives of Franklin County PA and Maryland. They removed to Summit county, Ohio later to Stark county, same state, and at length came to Whiteside County.
Mrs. Deets is one of thirteen children, she being next to the youngest; Catherine born Aug. 4, 1813, married Henry Wymer and both are deceased. They had two children, both of whom have passed away. Polly died in infancy. Diane born September 2, 1815 an dnow a resident of RockFalls married Mary Beidler, Sept. 15, 1839 and they hae six children. Jacob, born Dec. 12, 1816 wedded Susan Beidler in 1842 and with their six children live in Genesee township. John, a resident of Michigan, was born May 29, 1818, and chose Camilla Ward for his wife. They are the parents of four sons. George born January 18, 1820 married Mary Linerode Feb. 17, 1849 and two daughter were born to them. The wife and mother died September 18, 1854 and Mr. Wetzell makes his home with his niece, Mrs. Scott in Rock Falls. His daughters are married and have children. Elizabeth, born August 17, 1821 became the wife of Cyrus Harting. She departed this life many years ago and left several children. David R. born April 7, 1823 never married and died Sept. 15, 1894. Andrew born March 18, 1825 married Sarah Ward, and had four children. He has passed to his reward, while his widow resides in Stark County OH. Joseph born Dec. 9, 1827 married Ellen McKien. Seven children were born to them and Mr. Wetzel now resides with his son Thomas. Hannah born June 5, 1829 became the wife of Lewis Spots and of their several children, five survive, the others dying in infancy. Their home is in Lee county, MO. Lewis born June 3, 1837 wedded Mary Lawyer Mar 25, 1858 and they had four children. The parents are citizens of Galt, Whiteside county, having retired from their life work farming.
The birth of Mrs. Margaret (Wetzel) Deets took place on the 7th of Dec 1831 in Summitt County OH. She was a babe of two months when her parents removed to Stark county. In 1855 she came to Whiteside and the following year became the wife of Louis Deets, who was a thrifty farmer of Hopkins twp. The young couple were economical and rapidly made progress toward a competence, but, when the war of the Rebellion came on, the patriotic husband left his plow and went
to the defense of the Union, his
brave wife bidding him God-Speed. In 1861 he enlisted in the 55th IL Inf. and served for
three years. Later, he resumed his calling and continued to devote himself to his home
and business until his death July 14, 1882. Since that time, his widow has carried on the
old homestead near Emerson and has enjoyed the same measure of success as did her
esteemed husband in days of yore.
Twelve children came to bless their home. William Wilson 20 Dec 1857 mrried Anne Engle, AUg. 31, 1881 and is a resident of this township. Their two sons, aged fourteen and sixteen are at home. Elizabeth 2 Nov. 1861 became the wife of Henry Johnson and is the mother of four children. Mr. Johnson owns a fine ranch of over one thousand acres, situated in the state of Washington, is an extensive dealer in lumber and grain also. James M. Apr. 7, 1865 married Olive Carolus and has four children. Their home is at Emerson, where Mr. Deets is engaged in the trade of a wagon maker an din addition operates a large farm. Charles T. born Feb. 6, 1874 married Iona Carolus, November 8, 1896 and they have a child living, another having died in infancy. He is a successful lawyer of Almira, Washington. Four sons and two daughters died in infancy; Caroline born in 1860 died in Feb. 1874 and Jennie born Jun 6, 1867 died in 1877. In his political faith Mr. Deets was an ardent Republican. He was industrious and enterprising. He left a comfortable estate and, what is better, an unblemished name and record to his posterity. Religiously he was identified with the United Brethren church. [Contributed by M. King Deets]
Of Lyndon, IL
Asaph Deming deceased, formerly a farmer on section 12, Lyndon Township, was born July 24, 1819, in Steuben Co. NY. In the fall of 1838, he accompanied his father Charles S. Deming to Whiteside County and the family settled in the township of Lyndon. Mr. Deming made a claim of land on section 12, on which he built a house and entered upon the improvement of his property. He was married Oct. 27, 1842 to Harriet B., daughter of Jirch and Betsey (Wickey) Barlow. MR. Deming was energetically interested in the improvement of his estate and in the prosecution of his agricultural affairs until the nation was startled by the advent of Civil War, and he took an earnest interest in the progress of events unti August, 1862 when he enlisted in Co B 75th IL Vol.Inf. and was mustered into service as a Corporal. He died at Murfreesboro TN, June 20, 1863. At home he had left his wife and five children. Before the expiration of the year three children were dead, leaving the mother with one son William Henry, who is living with her on the homestead. They are both members of the Congregational Church.
Ann Eliza, only surviving daughter, who was married in 1869 to Joseph D. Johnson, lives in Flushing Mich.
Hirch Barlow, the father of Mrs. Deming, was a pioneer of Whiteside County. He was born in Massachusetts, but went in your manhood to Pittsford, Vt. He was there married to Betsey Wicker, who was also born in Massachusetts. Mr. Barlow was a clothier by profession, and after his marriage he built a factory at Pittsford and engaged in the manufacture of woolen cloth. He also erected a linseed-oil mill, and a flour and saw mill on the same mountain stream. That part of the town is called "Pittsford Mills" to this day, and has its own local postoffice, taking its name from the business enterprises of Mr. Barlow.
About 1827 the woolen mill was burned, entailing a loss of about $8,000. The proprietor rebuilt and continued its management a few years. About 1838 his business became involved through the general shrinkage of values in the crisis of the year before, and as his wife had fallen into ill health, he went to Indiana, locating in Wabash County. In June of that year he set out on horseback for Illinois to seek a satisfactory location for a home. He was pleased with the outlook of Whiteside County and returned to Indiana for his family. In the winter of 1839-40 he came back, bringing with him a load of household fixtures, and rented a farm, which is now included in the city of Morrison. His wife was ill at the time and remained with her children who were living in Vermont. In 1841 Mr. Barlow made a claim east of the present site of Morrison to which he removed. In 1848 he went to Indiana on a business errand, and died there at 74 years of age. Mr. Barlow was a man of more than ordinary ability. While in Vermont he represented Pittsford in the General Assembly for two sessions. He and his wife were members of the Congregational Church. [From Portraits & Biographical contributed by Maggie Earl]
CHARLES SETH DEMING
Of Lyndon Twp.
Charles S. Deming was a native of Pennsylvania, and born February 15, 1796. He came to Whiteside county in 1839, and made his claim two miles northeast of Lyndon. Upon this farm he resided until the time of his death.
He married Miss Elizabeth Corbett, July 19, 1816. The children of this marrriage were: Charles W., born May 1,1817; Asaph C., born July 24, 1819; George A., born October 22, 1821; Louisa M., born March 26, 1824; Myron A., born March 22, 1826, and Hiram D:, born April 18, 1827.
Mrs. Deming died April 25, 1827, and on the 21st of February, 1828, Mr. Deming married Miss Hannah A. Smith. Their children were: Elizabeth, born October 24, 1829; Samuel A., born June 28,1831; Delia S., born July 6, 1833; Harriet E., born April 6,1835; Lucy Ann, born August 25, 1840; Hannah, born April 8, 1842; Martha E. born March 22, 1845; Seth L., born March 16, 1847. The following are the children who have died: Myron A. died March 31, 1826; Lucy Ann, August 9, 1841; Seth L., July 31, 1847; Louisa October 24, 1847; Samuel A., February 1,1849; Harriet E., December 15, 1863; Martha E., December 2, 1872.
George A. enlisted in Company C., 75th Illinois Volunteers, and died while in the service at Grand Gulf, Mississippi, May 7, 1863.
Asaph C. enlisted the same Company and Regiment as George A., and also died in the service, his death taking place at Murfreesboro Tennessee June 20, 1863.
Charles A. married Miss Sabrina Chamberlain. Children - Louisa, Gaylord, Anna, Helen, Jason, Carrie and Olin.
Asaph C. married Miss Harriet Barlow; children, Henry, Ann, and three dead.
Louisa M. married John Smith; children Henry and one dead.
Hiram D. married twice, several children.
Elizabeth M. married Henry H. Smith; children, Katie, Nellie, Charlie, Frank, Bessie, and one who died in infancy.
Delia S. married William Burkett; children, Delia and Nellie, twins, Willie D., John M., and Arthur.
Martha E. married Andrew Wilkinson. children, Charles - now dead, and Sarah. Mrs. Wilkinson died December 2 1872
Mr. Deming was an earnest friend of popular education, and served as County Superintendent of Schools for twelve years to the entire satisfaction of the people. He died at his home in Lyndon, February 21, 1862, and with his death a good man passed away. [Bent - Wilson 1877]
ELIAS DEMINT (DEMENT)
Of Genesee Township
Elias Demint (Dement) came from Tennessee with his family to Illinois and lived about 10 miles south of Dixon at the Inlet. He kept a public house there. Settled in Genesee Grove in 1840. Children: Louisa - afterwards Mrs. Parish, Isaac, Polly, George, Samuel and Sarah. Mr Demint after remaining in the Grove a number of years, went to Iowa with his family and is now dead. [Bent & Wilson History of Whiteside County IL 1877]
JOHN F. DEMMON
John F. Demmon, located on section 4, Clyde Township, is one of the heaviest land-holders in the county of Whiteside. He was born April 15, 1828, in Windsor Co., Vt. Roswell Demmon, his father, was a farmer, and was born in Hartford, Vt. His lineage was all traceable in America, through descending generations from English ancestors, who came from the mother country at an early period of Colonial history. The same facts pertain to the record of the mother of Mr. Demmon, who was born Amelia Farnsworth, in Woodstock, Vt. His parents died in Hartford, respectively in 1855 abd 1840, They haad five children. Mr. Demmon was 16 years of age when his mother died, but he remained with his father, attending the schools of Hartford until 1850. At the age of 22 years, he made the beginning in his single-handed contest with life. Coming to Belvidere, Ill., he entered the employment of Frink, Walker & Co., who controlled the mail routes in the northwestern part of the State. He acted as their agent 11 years, operating successfully at Belvidere, Cherry Valley, Rockford, Freeport, and Warten, and later at Galena. The completion of lines of railroad over his accustomed routes put an end to his connection therewith, and he went to Madison, Wis., where he was connected with another branch of stage-route business, acting as collector, a position which necessitated his personal examination of the accounts at all stations. He had some unique and peculiar experiences, one of which was his visit in December, 1855, to Sunrise City, an extreme northern post, where the cold was so intense as to freeze the mercury. In 1853 he had entered a claim of land in Clyde Township, of which he took possession in 1861. It comprised 800 acres of land and was entirely guiltless of acquaintance with the implements of the agriculturist. The history of Mr. Demmon's connection with the development of the farming resources of the township and county of which he is a resident, is, practically, the oft-told tale of the pioneer of the prairies. The degree of his success is commensurate with his plans and purposes, and the quality of his efforts. He owns 840 acres in Clyde Township, and 240 acres connected therewith in an adjacent part of Carroll County. He is also the owner of 320 acres in the northern part of the same county, - in all 1,400 acres of farming land of valuable character. On his home estate are fine buildiings suited to the business of the place, and a large residence. He markets annually 200 cattle, and makes specialties of raising Cotswold sheep and Shor-Horns. He is also raising thoroughbred Hambletonian colts. His marriage to Eliza A. Van Patten took place Dec. 20, 1864, at Chicago, and they have been the parents of five children, one of whoom is no longer living. Charles R., John B., Rose and Stephen are the names of those who survive, and the family are resident at Mr. Carroll to obtain the benefit of the educational instituation at that place. Mr. Demmon is a Republican of active and decided type. He has little affinity for the honors of official life, but has officiated through one term as Justice of the Peace. [Portraits & Biographical 1885]
SOLOMON F. DENNING
Nov. 18, 1813 - Nov. 9, 1896
Rev. Solomon F. Denning was the fifth son of William and Isabella Denning. He was the husband of Mary (Zearing) Denning. He was a minister in the Rock River Conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church.
Obituary from The Christian Advocate Nov. 19, 1896: The Rev. Solomon F. Denning, one of the oldest members of the Rock River Conference, died at his home in Sterling, Ill., Nov. 9, and was buried Nov. 12. He was born Nov. 20, 1813, and joined Rock River Conference in 1842. Only two members of the Conference who were associated with him at that early day still remain--Dr. Luke Hitchcock, of Chicago, and the Rev. Alfred M. Early, of Erie, Ill. The latter was present and spoke at the funeral. Brother Denning was an active itinerant until 1874, when failing health necessitated retirement from active service. He missed but one session of his Conference from 1842 to 1896. He served as assistant and recording secretary of the Conference from 1847 to 1892, without intermission, and afterward was honorary recording secretary. He was highly honored amongst his brethren of the ministry and greatly esteemed as a citizen. Several ministers and a large concourse of people attended the funeral. [Memoir, Methodist Episcopal Church, Rock River Conference Journal - 1896, Page 86]
His wife was Mary Zearing (1820-1896)
[Information from Mary Jane Haight-Eckert from A Methodist Episcopal/United Methodist Historial]
Of Lyndon Township
George Dennis came from Trenton, New Jersey, and settled in Lyndon township prior to 1840. It required moral courage and back-bone for a young man to leave all the social advantages of an old settled country and come to the far West, where he would be almost entirely deprived of the society of young people. Mr. Dennis, though fond of fun, was manly, and very much respected by all who knew him. He married Miss Dodge, a sister of Job Dodge, now of Peru, Illinois and is now living at Princeton, Iowa. [Bent & Wilson History 1877]
ROSWELL B. DENNISON
Roswell B. Dennison, general farmer and stock-raiser, and one of the energetic and prosperous farmers of the county, residing on section 11, Tampico Township, was born in Berkshire Co., Mass., March 27, 1836, his parents being William and Emeline (Bill) Denison, of New England ancestry and of Scotch and English descent. The senior Denison was also a farmer, and in 1854 he emigrated West with his family, locating in the village of Prophetstown, this county. Five days afterward he died of cholera; Mrs. D. yet survives, being bout 73 years of age. Mr. Denison of this sketch remained at home with his mother for some years after the death of his father. In 1854 he purchased a tract of land, improved and occupied it three years before his marriage. He continued upon it for three years afterward, then lived three years in Hume Township and finally, in 1868, he purchased 240 acres of wild land where he now resides. This is now nearly all improved and furnished with farm buildings of fair quality. Mr. Denison is a positive Republican, and has held the minor offices of his township. He is also a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, of which body he has been Trustee. He was married May 8, 1862, to Miss Jenette P. Paddock, daughter of Isaac and Christine (Wager) Paddock. Her father, a farmer, was a native of New York, and after marriage settled in Lewis County, that State, where she was born May 3, 1845. She was six years old when her parents emigrated West to Illinois, locating in Prophetstown, where she was reared, educated and married. She also is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church. Mr. and Mr. Denison have six children, namely: Ada V., born Feb. 17, 1863; Ervin I., Jan. 21, 1867; Everett W., Oct. 10, 1868; Jennie E., Aug. 9, 1873; Elmer R., July 16, 1875; Earl M., Feb. 23, 1883. [Transcribed by Marji Turner from Portraits & Biographical 1885, Pg 632]
Of Clyde Township
Zachariah Dent was born in the village of Buckingham, Norfolk County England, July 26, 1806. In 1832 he settled in Canada, and clerked in a store in New Market. He participated in the "Patriot War", and then left Canada and settled in Clyde in June, 1839. H e at that time bought the claim where he now lives. The grove where he resides is known as "Dent's Grove." He married Eunice Montgomery in 1843. She died in 1869. No Children. [Bent & Wilson History of Whiteside County, Page 144]
ZACHARIAH DENT is the earliest pioneer settler in Clyde Township. He moved into the township June 1, 1839. previous to the organization of Whiteside County, and at a date when its original state of nature was almost uninvaded. Mr. Dent was born July 26, 1805, in Buckingham, Norfolkshire, England. He was named for his father, who was an English yeoman. Elizabeth Dent, his mother, was a native of the same country. The elder Dent died about 1811, and his son was brought up chiefly by strangers. The mother survived some years, dying after the removal of her son to America. Mr. Dent learned the trade of a cloth-weaver, and followed that vocation until 1832, the year in which he emigrated to America. He first located in Ontario, Canada where he obtaincd a clerkship near Newmarket. He passed several years in one employ, and for some time subsequently he was similarly engaged in the interests of a second employer. Meanwhile he came to Illinois and located his claim, which he purchased of an Englishman, and was careful to settle in the "timber" as it was then generally the opinion that the prarie was comparatively useless for agricultural purposes. While in Canada he took part in the contest known to history as McKenzie's Rebellion, or the Patriot War, espousing the cause of the rebels. He was on the losing side, and shared the consequences, which in his case was a term of imprisonment at Toronto. During the short-lived struggle he was involved in its several conflicts, but escaped without receiving injury, and on being released from prison he was again admitted to his former social position. Useless as were the efforts to shake off the bonds of the British Government, the underlying principles were in accordance with strict justice and in the natural order of things must in the course of time prevail. On removal to Clyde Township for a permanent residence, he constructed a home in the woods where he located for reasons stated. He lived alone for some years, engaged in a struggle with the adversities and trials of an early settler in a new country. The condition of things may be inferred from the fact that the value of a bushel of wheat was less than a pound of coffee.
Mr. Dent was married about the year 1848 to Eunice Montgomery. She was born in August 1810, in Roxbury, Delaware Co., N. Y., and was the daughter of Martin and Louisa (Waite) Montgomery. Her parents were born in New York and were of New England ancestry. They were a branch of the family who were prominent in New England and in the State of New York in the period of the Revolution. The family of Mrs. Dent removed to Illinois in July, 1839 and have all been dead some years. No children came to add to the home happiness of Mr. and Mrs. Dent. She died in the winter of 1869 and since that event Mr. Dent has lived in quiet retirement, on section 15 of Clyde Township. He is the owner of 250 acres of land, finely situated and comparing favorably with the farms in the vicinity. He is a Democrat of the Jackson school, and has always adhered to his first political principles. He has officiated some years in township offices but finally withdrew from active duty as a citizen on account of old age. He is 80 years of age at the date of this writing (1885). [Portrait & Biographical]
W. F. Derbyshire, residing in the village of Erie, and the owner of a farm of 160 acres, located on section 6, Erie Township, was born in Otsego Co., N. Y., April 18, 1835. His father, George H. Derbyshire, was a native of England and a farmer by occupation, and his mother was a native of Connecticut. Their family comprised six children, four of whom survive: Caroline is the wife of Rev. W. Gulick, of New York; Christopher has a cattle ranch in Colorado; Mary is the wife of Dr. J. Smith, Clyde, Wayne Co., N. Y.; W. F., the youngest son of his father’s family, was reared on the farm, and received such advantages as was obtainable at the common schools. Mr. Derbyshire was united in marriage, near Cooperstown, Otsego Co, N. Y., Aug. 23, 1860, to Miss Emma Davison, daughter of Clark and Abigail Davison. She was born in Otsego County, July 27, 1835, and has borne to her husband four children, viz.: Kate, born in Hopkins Township, this county, Sept. 13, 1866, and at present a music teacher at Carson, Pottawatomie Co., Iowa; Will S., born Oct. 30 1870. Two children are deceased, Robert C. and Alice L. In the spring of 1866, Mr. Derbyshire came to Hopkins Township, this county, where he purchased 60 acres of land, on which he resided for some tow or three years, then came to Erie Township and rented land for a time. He then bought 160 acres of land, located as described, and on which he resided until 1882, when he moved to the village of Erie. He still owns his farm, and haws the same under a good state of cultivation. Mr. Derbyshire is a member of the Modern Woodmen of America, and also of the village Board of Erie. In 1882 he build a nice residence in the village, and has four lots connected with the same. His parents, as well as the parents of his wife, are all deceased. [Transcribed by Marji Turner from Portraits & Biographical 1885, Pg 732]
John Devore, deceased, and early pioneer of Illinois and a resident of Ustick Twp. was born in KY Oct. 18, 1819. He was brought up on a farm in IN where he was married to Josephine Smith, a native of Vermont. Mr. Devore came to IL in 1842 and settled near Mt. Carroll, Carroll County, where he was engaged in farming till 1852, when he removed to Ustick Township this county. He pursued the business of farming til 1870, when he removed to Iowa near Creston, where he purchased a farm and made that place his home till the time of his death, which occurred Oct. 15, 1884. Mr. and Mrs. Devore had two sons and four daughters - Ellen died in infancy; Noah died age 38 years; Harry S. married Jane Brady and resides in Iowa; Lucinda is the wife of James Brady also of Iowa; Lovina is the wife of Alexander MacKenzie of Iowa; and Abbie E. married Capt. John MacKenzie and resides in Fulton. [Portraits & Biographical Whiteside County; 1885, Pg 342]
GARRETT F. DEYO
Of Jordan Township
Garrett F. Deyo settled in Jordan in March, 1836. He died August 18, 1859, and his wife in 1860. His family consisted of thirteen children: Mary Ann, born March 7,1810; John G, January 16, 1812; Bridget, March 14,1814; Elizabeth, March 12, 1816; Cyresia, December 29, 1819; Jacob, February 24, 1821; Sarah Jane, April 18, 1823; Hiram, February 28, 1825; Sanford, February 24,1827; James R., May 24, 1829; Ellen, March 7, 1831; Benjamin, June 9, 1833; Moses J., March 25, 1835. Mary Ann, Bridget, Cyresia and Sarah Jane are dead.
Of the seven brothers all except Benjamin reside in Whiteside county; he is living in Ogle county. John G. was married November 12, 1836, to Elizabeth A. Mackey; children, Langston, LeFevre, Rebecca Jane. Mary Ann, .John J, Homer, Bridget, Elmira and James M.; three children died in infancy, Bridget married Harrison Sanford January 12. 1835: children, Madison, John, Elnora, Juliet, Rosella, Sarah, Adeline, Miranda E., Delia, William B., Newton H., Ida M., and Frank; John, Juliet,
Newton and Ida
are dead. Elizabeth married Simon Fellows, who resides at Round Grove. July 10, 1836, nine children. Jacob married Mary Campbell November 3 l852; no children, Sarah Jane married Isaiah Rucker; she died leaving the following children: Rebecca, Jane, Ellen, ,James, Harriet, William. Nora, Hiram and Clara. Hiram was married October 3, 1850; children, Arther, Hiram, Clara, Garrett, Robert, and Edward and Edwin, twins; four of the children are dead. Sanford married Barbara E. Warner November 5, 1857; six children.
Jas. R. married Elizabeth Roberts September 4, 1851; two children. Ellen married Samuel
Wolf and resides in Iowa. Benjamin is married and resides in Ogle county, Illinois. Moses
J. married Sursanna Hickler. who died March 27. 1872: he was married to Mary Mulnax
October 23, 1873; six children. [Pg 259-260 Bent-Wilson, 1877]
JAMES R. DEYO
James R Deyo, harness merchant, Sterling was born in Delaware Co., N. Y., May 24, 1829, his parents being Garrett and Rebecca (Atherton) Deyo, natives respectively of France and the State of New York, who were married in 1808, followed farming until 1834, removed to Peoria, Ill., and after two years residence there, in 1836, to Jordan Township, this county. Here the senior Deyo purchased a farm of 40 acres, sold a part of it and resided upon the remained until his death in 1857; Mrs. Deyo died in 1865.
The subject of this sketch, after having been brought up on a farm and receiving a common-school education left home at the age of 21 and learned and followed the trade of carpenter for ten years. He then purchased a farm of 80 acres in Jordan Township, this county, occupied it until 1865, sold it, bought a quarter-section in Ogle Co., Ill., remained there till 1869, and finally removed to Sterling, where he owned and ran a planning-mill until 1882; he then sold out and engaged in the saddlery trade on the east side of Mulberry Street, where he has been in successful business.
In his political principles Mr. Deyo is a Republican, and both himself and wife belong to the Methodist Episcopal Church at Sterling: he is also a Freemason, and a liberal, Christian gentleman.
He was married Sept. 4, 1851, to Elizabeth Roberts, who was born Jan. 12, 1832, in the State of New York. They have two children, -- Sarah Jane and Alexander M. The first mentioned married Rodger Thomas, Sept. 10, 1872, and they have five chlldren - Cary N., Henry A,., James R., Elizabeth A. and Nettie M. [Submitted by Marji Turner from Portraits & Biographical, 1885, Pg 498]
BACK -- HOME
© Copyright Genealogy Trails