of Union Grove Township
It is said that biography yields to no other subject in point of interest and profit, and it is especially interesting to note the progress that has been made along various lines of business by those of foreign birth who have sought homes in America-the readiness with which they adapt themselves to the different methods and customs of America, recognize the advantages offered and utilize the opportunities which the new world affords. We find in Thomas Eagan, a well- known farmer, residing on section 31, Union Grove township, a worthy representative of this class. A native of Ireland, he was born in Loughrea, County Galway, December 20, 1822, and is a son of Matthew and Hannah (Griffin) Eagon. He grew to manhood in his native land, receiving such an education as the public schools of the country afforded at that day, and at the age of twenty-six he came to America. After spending about four years in Connecticut, he came to Illnois in 1854, and took up his residence in Albany, Whiteside county. Later he lived in Garden Plain, and in the fall of 1861 purchased eighty acres of land on section 31, Union Grove township, where he still resides. He has extended the boundaries of his farm from time to time as his finan- cial resources have merited until he now has four hundred and twelve acres of valuable and highly productive land, which he has placed under a high state of cultivation. He has devoted his time and abilities to general farming and stock raising, feeding a large number of cattle and hogs each year. On the 10th of October, 1854, Mr. Eagon was united in marriage in New York City, with Miss Alice Ryan, also a native of Ireland, and a daughter of Thomas and Hannah (Eagon) Ryan. She came to the new world in October, 1851. To our subject and his wife have been born eight chil- dren: John F., at home; Mary, a resident of Clinton, Illinois; Alice, who died at the age of eleven years; Martin, who married Alice Smith, died in Union township, October 27, 1899; Edward, at home; Margaret, wife of Natalian Waltham, of Clinton; Elizabeth and James, both at home. The parents are both devout members of the Catholic church and merit and receive the respect and esteem of all who know them. In his political views, Mr. Eagan is a stalwart Democrat, but has never been an office seeker, preferring to devote his undivided attention to his business interest. [Whiteside County Biographical Record 1900 pg 47]
ALFRED M. EARLY
Alfred M. Earley, D. D., Local Elder of the Methodist Episcopal Church at Erie, is a son of John and Mary (Graesberry) Earley, and was born in Philadelphia, Pa., June 1, 1811. His father ad mother were natives of New Jersey. The latter was born in June, 1777, and died in Philadelphia, June 12, 1865, aged 87 years. They had four children, of whom Alfred M. is the only survivor. He remained at home until 18 years of age, and then engaged in mercantile business in Philadelphia. In 1839 Mr. Earley came West, locating in Platteville, Wis., where he became a minister in the Methodist Church. Soon after he came to Jo Daviess County, this State, where he was engaged in the ministry, and has continued to labor in that profession ever since. His labors have been distributed in Jo Daviess, Stephenson, Bureau, Kane and this county since 1839. He has also preached the gospel in Wisconsin, and has preached in Albany, Union Grove and Prophetstown, this county, off and on since 1843. Rev. Earley has resided in Erie a number of years, and owns a nice residence and an acre of land there. He is now 74 years old, and occasionally fills an appointment. Mr. Earley was united in marriage to Miss Ruth B. Childs, at Philadelphia, in July, 1839. She was born in that State in 1830, and bore him eight children, only two of whom survive. The record is as follows: Henry, who was a Sergeant in the late war, came home sick from disease contracted in the army, and died; Israel, who was also in the army, was wounded at the battle of Perryville, received his discharge, came home and died; Amelia is the wife of William Smith, book-keeper in a mercantile establishment at Erie; a son and daughter who died in their infancy; Minnie and Frank are also deceased, and Charles is carrying on a carriage and harness business in Erie. Mrs. Earley died in Erie, March 24, 1873; and Mr. Early was again married, in Scott Co., Iowa, to Mrs. Elizabeth Carpenter, a native of Ohio. [Contributed by Marji Turner, Whiteside County History 1880 Pg 444]
WILLIAM A. EARLY
William A. Early, farmer, section 11, Montmorency Township, is a son of Charles H. and Elicia (McKinney) Early, natives of New York and Canada respectively. They were residents of York State at the date of their death, that of the father occurring in the spring of 1863, and that of the mother in December, 1860. The issue of their union comprised seven children: Jane, Wiliam A., Margaret, Mary, Margie, Elicia and Charles H.
William A. Early, subject of this biographical notice, was born in Columbia Co., N. Y., Nov 18, 1832. He lived on the home farm, alternating his labors thereon by attendance at the common schools, until he attained the age of 21 years. On reaching that age he came to Kane County, this State, and resided one winter in Elgin. In the spring of 1854 Mr. Early came to this county, and for four years he was engaged in the livery business and teaming at Sterling. He then purchased 40 acres of land situated on section 11, Montmorency Township, upon which he erected good buildings, and entered actively and vigorously upon the cultivation of his land. He now owns 160 acres, 120 of which is tillable. He keeps about 40 head of cattle, 6 head of horses, and fattens some 50 head of hogs annually. Mr. Early was united in marriage, in Geneva, Kane County, this State, Jan. 10, 1861, to Miss Susan A., daughter of Abraham and Susan (Dolph) Dunham, natives of Connecticut and New York, respectively. They settled in Kane County, this State, where they both died, inside of one week, in March, 1861. Their family comprised nine children, -- Edward, Harriet, Elizabeth, Sophia, Susan A, Fletcher D., Edward E., Charles and Martha.
Susan A. (Mrs. Early) was born in Stueben Co., N. Y., Nov. 18, 1835, and has born to Mr. Early eight children, -- Albert W., Emma J., Eva M., Hattie A., George W., Frank A., Mary E. and Charles F. Mr. Early has held many offices of trust, and in politics is a Republican. Socially, he has been a member of the I. O. O. F. ever since he attained his majority. [Contributed by Marji Turner, Whiteside County History 1880 Pg 351]
W. F. EASTMAN
W. F. Eastman, now connected with the Sterling Gazette, was born in Ellisburg, N. Y., Nov. 11, 1844, his parents being Charles W. and Cynthia (Fiske) Eastman, natives of New England. He graduated at Schenectady, and taught school at Maquoketa, Iowa, and at different points in this county until 1872, when he assumed the editorship of the Red Oak (Iowa) Express. In a few months, however, he returned to Sterling, and was connected with the Gazette, as editor and proprietor, for ten years; then was engaged in banking and farming in Dakota for two and a half years, and finally, in 1885, he came to Sterling again and engaged in the Gazette office. In his political views Mr. Eastman is a zealous Republican and a prohibitionist. He belongs to the Christian Church of Sterling, of which he was one of the founders in 1875, and one of the Elders and Sunday-school Superintendent before he went to Dakota. He is a member also of the Legion of Honor, and is an influential citizen of Whiteside County. Mr. Eastman was married July 23, 1872, to Miss Frances Adams, of Sterling, who died in 1877. For his second wife Mr. E. married Myra Christopher, a native of Byron, Ogle Co., Ill. They have one child, born in the month of October, 1881. [Contributed by Marji Turner Whiteside County History 1880 Pg 310]
J. MURRAY EATON
J. Murray Eaton, Supervisor of Garden Plain Township, was born Oct. 31, 1835, in Willett, Cortland Co., N.Y. John Eaton, his father, was born Sept. 9, 1785, in Albany Co., N.Y. and was married in 1825, to Lucy (Lee) Dains. She was born Dec. 7, 1795, in Oxford, Chenango Co., N.Y. They went to Cherry Valley, and later to Willett, where they were pioneers. The senior Eaton had bought a military claim and took possession of the land, which was covered with heavy timber. He improved a large farm and occupied it until 1836. The Eaton family descended from John Eaton, who settled in 1635 in Dedham, Mass., and who came from England. The mother's ancestral descent came from the Bunker's, whose name is perpetuated by Bunker Hill. In 1836 John Eaton removed his family to Illinois, traveling with teams and reaching his destination in six weeks. They settled on a claim at Elkhorn Grove, in Carroll County. Mr. Eaton built the first frame house in the Grove, and it was the first between Chicago and the Mississippi River. He improved a farm, of which he was the occupant until 1854. In that year he sold it and removed to Ustick Township. He died in 1868. He was married first to Lydia Preston, about the year 1806 and their children were ten in number. From the second marriage there were four children, and of the whole number, 14, there are 12 survivors. The second wife is still living.
Mr. Eaton was one year old the day his parents reached Elkhorn Grove, and he was brought up at home, accompanying them to Ustick Township in 1854. In 1864, associated with his brother he bought 240 acres of land on sections 23 and 26 of Garden Plain Township. They continued their joint ownership and relations a few years, when they made a division; and Mr. Eaton is the owner of 170 acres on section 23, where he has placed his estate in excellent condition for prosperous farming. He was married Oct. 26, 1869, at Lowell, Mass.,to Emma Green. She was born in Greensborough, VT, June 16, 1834, and was educated in Lowell. She was for a half-score of years a teacher in the schools of Illinois. Mr. Eaton has served as Supervisor of Garden Plain Township nine years. He has also filled the position of Town Clerk and held other offices of trust. [Portraits & Biographical Whiteside County IL 1885 Pg 622]
ABRAHAM D. EBERSOLE
Abraham D. Ebersole is a farmer on section 3 Sterling Twp. He was born Sept. 8, 1822 in Lancaster Co PA and is the fourth of 10 children born to David and Esther (Burkholder) Ebersole, natives of PA. In 1867 Mr. Ebersole sold his farm in the State where he had lived for 45 years, and in the autumn came to IL. He bought 204 acresof land on sections 2 and 3 of Sterling Twp. where he made a permanent location. He is now the owner of 110 acres, which is practically all under tillage. He is a Republican in political principle. He was married Oct. 16, 1845 in Lancaster PA to Anna, daughter of Christian and Magdalena (Ebersole) Rutt. His wife is the 6th child and the next youngest of her parents children. She was born 20 January 1827 in Lancaster. Mr. and Mrs. Ebersole have nine children - Elias, Esther, Maggie, Anna, Sabine, Michael, Abraham, Solomon and Amos. The parents are members of the Menonite Church. [Portraits & Biographical 1885 Pg 783]
BENJAMIN F. ECHELBARGER
Benjamin P. Echelbarger, Supervisor of Newton Township the current year, was born March 13, 1839, in Ashland Co, Ohio. His parents, George and Jane (Hagaman) Echelbarger, removed when he was nine years old to Union County, and the family continued to reside there until 1856. In that year they transferred their interests to Whiteside County, locating near Erie. The father died there in 1857. The mother died in 1860, in Newton Township.
Oct. 12, 1861, Mr. Echelbarger enlisted in Co. D, 46th Regt. Ill. Vol. Inf. The command remained in barracks at Dixon until February, 1862, when it was sent South and stationed at Memphis. In the fall, Mr. Echelbarger was sent home on recruiting service and discharged the duties of the position, holding the rank of Sergeant. He rejoined his regiment in July, 1863, at Vicksburg. In January, 1865, he was transferred to the 16th Veteran Reserve Corps and stationed at St. Louis. In March he went to Washington and from there to Harrisburg, Pa. At the expiration of his period of enlistment he was discharged and returned to Whiteside County. Within the year he bought 40 acres of unbroken prairie in Newton Township, located on section I, where he entered upon the duties of a pioneer farmer, and has operated with successful results. He now owns 80 acres of land, having bought an additional 40 acres adjoining his first purchase. The entire property is in good agricultural condition. In political faith he is a Republican. He has officiated as Constable nine years and has been Road Commissioner six year. In the spring of 1884 he was elected Supervisor and was re-elected in 1885. Mr. Echelbarger was married in 1867, to Elizabeth Slead. She was born March 19, 1850, in Delaware Co., N. Y. [Contributed by Marji Turner Whiteside County History 1880 Pg 790]
Samuel Echelbarger is a farmer on the northwest quarter of section I, Newton Township, 20 north, range 3 east, and was born Jan. 24, 1824, in Vermillion Township, then Richland Co, Ohio. (The township is now in Ashland County, the territory having been divided.) His parents, George and Jane (Hagerman) Echelbarger, were born in Westmoreland Co., Pa. They were married in their native State, and in 1822 located in Richland Co, Ohio. They moved there, with their teams, there being no provision for public transportation, and settled in the dense timber. The senior Echelbarger cleared a farm, where his children were born and reared. In 1857 they came to Whiteside County, and settled near Erie, where the father died in 1858. The mother died in 1862, in Newton Township. At 18 Mr. Echelbarger was apprenticed to learn the business of a millwright in Richland County, at which business he worked two years. He then began to operate as a carpenter and joiner and worked at that business in Union Co., Ohio, until 1856. He had also acquired a knowledge of the blacksmith’s trade, and in the year named he came to Whiteside County. He rented a farm on “Slocumb Street,” in Newton Township, and established a blacksmith shop. In 1862 he bought the place, which he has improved, and on which he has erected good and suitable farm buildings.
His marriage to Matilda Flinn occurred Sept. 12, 1849. Following is the record of their children: Susan married Henry Rumsey, and lives in Webster Co., Iowa; Silas G. lives in Newton Township, as does Jared; Mary S. is the wife of Jephtha Hatfield, of Webster County; David lives in Garden Plain Township, this county; Benjamin F. is a resident of Fulton Co., Ill; Samuel lives at home. Mrs. Echelbarger is a native of Virginia. [Contributed by Marji Turner, Whiteside County History 1880 Pg 553]
Dr. John Eddy is a native of Whitestown, Oneida county, New York;Âwas born July 29, 1800. He came to Illinois in June, 1849, and first settled at Naperville, Du Page county, and in 1855 came to Fulton. The Doctor was elected Coroner of Whiteside county in 1860, and held the office two years. He was made a Master Mason in 1823, making him one of the oldest Masons in the country. He has also been a Knight Templar since 1848, and has held the office of Chaplain in the Royal Arch Chapter for several years. On the 1st of January, 1874, Doctor and Mrs. Eddy called around them their friends at their golden wedding, an event which very few married couples in this western country, or, indeed, in any other, are permitted to celebrate. [From Bent-Wilson 1877 Pg 190]
LORENZO D. EDDY
Lorenzo D. Eddy, poultry fancier at Albany, was born April 9, 1828, in St. Lawrence Co., N. Y. Augustus Eddy, his father, was a native of Vermont, and married Polly McKinster, who was a native of Connecticut. In 1831 the family went to Potsdam, N. Y. and in 1835 made another removal, to Du Page Co., Ill. The household included at that time five children. The entire journey was made with teams, except from Buffalo to Detroit, when they traveled on the lake. The grandfather of Mr. Eddy had made a squatter's claim in 1834 and Augustus Eddy took possession of the log house which had been built by his father. They continued to reside on the farm in Du Page County until 1853, when it was sold and a removal to Whiteside County effected. A farm was bought near Erie, where the parents resided during the remaining years of their lives. But three of the family of eight children are now living (1885). York and Noble, the two youngest, reside at Erie.
Mr. Eddy lived with his father and mother until 1831,when he went to Erie and engaged in the blacksmith business with his brothe-in-law, where he remained through one winter. During two years succceding he was employed in a hotel at Erie. In 1853 he was married to Mary Early. They had eight children, namely: Loran G., Susie A. (Mrs. Wm. Wingert, of Springfield,Ohio); Tamma, wife of John Byers, of Albany Township; James A. (married DeLucia Chamberlain); Laura (Mrs. C. I. Barker); William (married Rosa Lay); Perry and Della (twins). After he was married, Mr. Eddy bought a tract of wild land five miles southwest of the village of Erie and improved a farm. He was its occupant until 1864, when he sold the property and bought a farm on section 25, of township 21, range 2. He has since bought land adjoining, included in the town plat. The place is well supplied with an excellent class of farm buildings. Mr. Eddy now rents the farm and lives in the village of Albany. In 1884 he began to give his attention to raising fancy breeds of poultry and has, in stock five fullblooded varieties. He has erected suitable quarters for his fowls. He is the owner of some fine Jersey cows. [Portraits & Biographical, 1885]
NOBLE F. EDDY
Of Erie, IL
Noble F. Eddy, retired farmer and dealer in stock, residing in Erie, this county, is a son of Augustus and Polly (McKinster) Eddy, and was born in DuPage Co., IL March 2, 1838. His father was a native of Vermont, a farmer by occupation and is deceased. His mother was a native of conn. and is likewise deceased. Their family comprised eight children, three of whom are living; Lorenzo D. a farmer and resides in Albany Twp.; York a farmer residing in Erie; and Noble F. The father came to DuPage County in 1836, where he located on a farm. In 1853 he caem to Erie Twp. and purchased 120 acres of land, located on section 2, where he resided until his death Nov. 3, 1879; hism other died on the farm Sep. 1, 1879.
In 1865 Mr. Eddy purchased the farm of 120 acres, known as the old homestead, and by subsequent purchases has added to it until he now is th eowner of 286 acres, which he rents. He resided on his farm until the spring of 1881, made a umber of improvements thereon, erected a residence, set out an orchard and otherwise improved his place, and then moved to the village of Erie. He owns his residence in the village, has twolots, a good barn and four acres of land. Since 1881, he has occupied his time mostly in buying and shipping cattle. Religiously, he and his wife are both members of the Methodist Episcopal Church.
Mr. Eddy was married in Erie Twp. Sept. 5, 1870 to Isabel Cessford, born in Lockport this State, Nov. 5, 1837. One child Minnie, was born to them July 17, 1874. Mrs. Eddy died on the farm Sept. 1, 1879 and Mr. Eddy was again married in Erie, Oct. 18, 1882 to Fidelia Cunningham, daughter of Andrew and Sabrina Cunningham. She was born in Taylor, Ogle Co. IL Sept. 18, 1849. Of the latter union two children have been born; Ida. D. Sept. 6, 1883 and Albert N. Aug. 20, 1884.
Mr. Eddy has held the office of Village Trustee four years, which osition he holds at present, and is Chairman of the Board. In Sept. 1861 when the firing on Sumter had aroused the people of the North to a realization of the fact that the perpetuity of our Union depended upon brave hearts and strong arms, he enlisted in Co. B. IL Vol. Inf. as private and served four years until Sept. 1865. The following is a list of the engagements in which he participated; West Glaze MO Oct. 14, 1861; Linn Creek MO Oct. 16, 1861; Chickasaw Bayou, Miss. Dec.27,28 and 29, 1861; Arkansas Post, AR Jan. 10 & 11, 1863; Deer Creek, miss Apr. 1, 1863; Black Bayou, Miss. April 10, 1863; Jackson Miss May 14, 1863; Siege of Vicksburg Miss, May 18, to July 4, 1863; siege of Jackson Miss, July 10-16, 1863; Brandon Miss July 19, 1863; Tombs AL Oct. 23, 1863; Tuscumbia AL Oct 27, 1863; Lookout Mtn. TN Nov. 24-25, 1863; Mission Ridge TN Nov. 25, 1863; Ringgold Gap Nov. 27, 1863; Madison TN March 11, 1864; Resaca GA Nov.10, 1864; Macon GA, Nov. 27, 1864; siege of Savannah, Dec. 10 - 20, 1864; Cypress Swamp Feb.6, 1865; Columbia SC Feb.17, 1865; Bentonville NC Feb.20-21, 1865; Raleigh NC April 3, 1865; surrender of Joseph E. Johnston's army April 11, 1865; and received his final discharge Aug. 12, 1865. [Portraits & Biographical 1885 Whiteside Co.]
of Fulton Township
Among the names which are engraved deeply and ineffaceably upon the records of Whiteside county is the family name which is borne by the subject of this review. He has been a resident of Illinois since the pioneer epoch in its history. The Indians had hardly been driven from their old hunting grounds in this section of the state when the Eddy family was established in Dupage county. The prairies were uncultivated, the forests uncut, the streams unbridged, and in fact the work of civilization and development had been scarcely begun.
York Eddy was less than four years of age at the time of the arrival of his parents in the middle west. He was born September 5, 1831, in Oneida county, New York, a son of Augustus and Polly (McKinster) Eddy, both of whom were natives of Oneida county, New York. Leaving the east in 1835, they made their way westward and settled about nineteen miles west of Chicago in Dupage county. Chicago had not at that time been incorporated as a city and gave little evidence of the wonderful transformation which was to occur and make its growth one of the wonders of the world.
The family shared in all of the hardships and privations incident to pioneer life in the establishment of a home upon the wild prairie, but they bore uncomplainingly the hardships incident to frontier settlement and in the course of years their farm became productive and brought them a comfortable competence. In 1854 they removed from Dupage to Whiteside county and their remaining days were passed in Erie township, where Augustus Eddy secured land and carried on a farm. The wife died July 8, 1862, when about sixty-five years of age, while his death occurred in November, 1889, when about eighty-two years of age. Their family numbered six children, but only two are now living, the elder being Lorenzo Eddy, of Harkin, Colorado.
As stated, York Eddy was less than four years of age when brought to Illinois by his parents, and thus he was reared upon the frontier, where in his boyhood days he occasionally saw Indians, while many kinds of wild animals and wild game were to be seen. His educational privileges in youth were limited owing to the unsettled condition of the country and as the years went by he understood what it meant to break sod and develop a new farm, giving active assistance to his father in this work.
He was married on the 27th of January, 1853, in Dupage county, to Miss Louisa Newton, who was born in Clinton county, New York, October 1, 1833. Her father, Marshall Newton, was born September 7, 1792, in Shoreham, Vermont, and died in Erie, Illinois, February 24, 1878. His wife, who bore the maiden name of Hannah Jones, was also a native of Shoreham, born March 4, 1793, and her death occurred in Erie, October 5, 1870. In 1856 they came westward to Whiteside county, settling in Erie township, where their remaining days were passed, the father devoting his life here to the occupation of farming. In their family were six children, of whom three are yet living: Lucius, now a resident of Erie; Mrs. Eddy; and Emily, the wife of Henry Hamilton, of Iowa. Unto Mr. and Mrs. Eddy have been born ten children: Ai, who married Cora Wood and lives in Kansas; Seth, who wedded Cora Seger and is a resident farmer of Erie township, this county ; Nellie, the wife of George Thompson, of Erie; Clarence; Mrs. Laura Pickering, of Wayne, Illinois; Seward, who married Eva Fritz and is living in Erie township; Lloyd, who wedded Minnie Pratt and makes his home in Tampico; Newell, who married Emma Sohrbeck and is living in Erie township; Danna, who married Minnie Scott and resides in Chicago; and Lottie M., the wife of Herbert Smith.
In 1854 York Eddy removed to Whiteside county and settled on section 2, Erie township. Here he purchased one hundred and twenty acres of land, which was destitute of all improvements save that a little house had been erected thereon. Indians called there often and there were many evidences of pioneer life to be found in. the county. The railroads had not been built and the settlers had to haul their grain long distances to market and to mill. With characteristic energy Mr. Eddy took up the work of tilling the soil and caring for the farm, and as the years passed he brought his fields under cultivation and from the sale of his harvests derived a gratifying annual income. As his financial resources increased he added to his property and is now the owner of four hundred and ten acres of rich and productive land in his farm, while in the village of Erie he has two acres, upon which his residence stands. Having retired from the farm, he now makes his home in the town and from his property he yet derives a substantial income. For many years he carefully conducted the work of the fields and as time passed he accumulated a comfortable competence which now makes possible his present rest from labor.
In politics he is a republican, but without aspiration for office. He and his wife have been members of the Baptist church for a great many years, have been interested in its work and have supported various measures for the material, intellectual and moral progress of the community. Mr. Eddy has intimate knowledge of the history of northern Illinois in its development from pioneer times to the present, his memory forming a connecting link between the primitive past and the latter day progress and development.
He can relate many interesting incidents of early time when there were no large houses upon the farms, the homes of the settlers being mostly log cabins. The work of the fields, too, was done by hand and the scythe and the ox-teams were familiar features of the fields. All this has changed and as invention brought new and improved machinery Mr. Eddy kept up with the progress of the times, being quick to adopt any machinery or measure that would promote farming interests. His energy and diligence constitute the basis of his success and his honorable dealing brought to him the unqualified respect of all.
DEAN S. EFNER
Hon. Dean S. Efner was born October 22, 1822, in what was then called North Deerfield, in the county of Monroe, New York State. From this place he emigrated to Lacon, Marshall county, Illinois, and in March, 1841, moved, with his father, Dr. W. H. Efner, to Albany where he has resided ever since. About this time David Mitchell, Capt. Samuel Mitchell, Capt. Abram I. Kilgour also came to Albany from near Lacon, none of whom now survive save Capt. Samuel Mitchell.
Mr. Efner has been married twice. His first wife was Miss Sarah S. Thompson whom he married March 2, 1843. She was a sister of John S. Thompson Esq., and Miss Margaret Blean, of Newton. The only child of this marriage living is Wm. E. Efner, Esq., of Coleta in this county. Mrs. Efner died on the 2d of September, 1845. Mr. Efner was married to his second wife, Miss Sarah Brewer, at Albany, on the 28th of August 1848 by Rev. Father McKean. Miss Brewer was born in England on the 8th of October, 1826. When she was but a child her father emigrated to this country, bringing his family with him, and settled near Harrisburg Pa., and in 1844 came to Albany.
At the age of sixteen Mr. Efner began to learn the mason trade, and this trade he followed more or less until the year 1864. His fellow citizens both of the town and Legislative District have frequently called upon him to serve them in a public capacity. For twenty-five years last past he has held the office of Justice of the Peace, with the single exception of about one year. The person then elected died shortly afterwards, and Mr. Efner was elected to fill the vacancy. He was a member of the Board of Supervisors from 1863 to 1870, but resigned during the latter year to take a seat as a representative in the General Assembly of the State, to which he had been elected. So well pleased were the people of the District with his services as Representative that he was re-elected in 1873. During these two terms of the Legislature the revision of the laws of the State were completed, and made to conform to the new constitution of 1870. In this arduous and exacting labor, Mr. Efner took a conspicuous part. In 1859 he was admitted to practice law, going in person to Springfield to attend examination for that purpose. The examination was held by a committee of examiners selected from the ablest members of the Supreme Court which was then in session at the State Capitol. Mr. Efner has also served as clerk and attorney for the Board of Trustees of the village of Albany, and at present holds these positions. [Bent & Wilson History of Whiteside County]
Of Prophetstown Township
Sampson Ellithorpe was born in Saratoga county, New York, in 1806. He first settled in what is now Hume township, but soon sold his claim to William Ramsay, and moved to Prophetstown, where he died in 1840. Mr. Ellithorpe married Miss Elisa Wight, their children being: Earl S., who married Miss Mary J. Averill, and lives in Prophetstown; and Bethiah, wife of Dr. H.. C. Donaldson, one of the early practicing physicians of the county, and for a number of years, and at present, a successful practitioner in Morrison. [Bent & Wilson History of Whiteside County]
DAVID G. ELY
David G Ely is a general farmer and stock-grower on section 1, Hume Township. He was born Sept. 20, 1811, in Oneida Co., N. Y. John Ely, his father, was a native of New Jersey, and became a prominent farmer of Oneida County. He owned about 700 acres of land in the valley of the Mohawk. He built tow large jails in Oneida Co., N. Y., in an early day, one in the town of Whitestown, four miles west of Utica, which is still standing, the other, in Rome, N. Y., which was burned probably about 30 years ago. His death occurred April 14, 1842. Beulah A. (Gould) Ely, the mother, was born in Williamstown, Mass., and descended from the earliest settlers of New England. She died in February, 1845.
Mr. Ely is the fifth of his parents’ ten children. When he was 15 years of age he learned the shoemaker’s trade, and made for himself the first pair of boots he ever wore. Later, he learned the trade of carpenter and joiner, and worked with his father at that business and as a farmer until he was 26 years of age.. Feb. 17, 1836, he was married, in Floyd Township, Oneida County, to Alvira Wallace, who was born in that township May 11, 1817, and died Nov. 26, 1873, in Hume Township. She was the mother of six children, three of whom are deceased. Beulah, George and Nancy, who are the survivors, are married. Lydia M., Eliza and Lovisa are dead.
Mr. Ely was a resident of his native state until 1855, when he went to Oshkosh, Wis., and worked there 3 years as a mechanic. In 1858 he located in Hume Township, purchasing 184 acres on section 10. He occupied this property five years, when, in 1863, he went to the township of Coloma, where he resided three years on 80 acres of land. He went back in 1866 to Hume Township, and, after operating three years a little east of the central portion of the township, he came to section 1, where he had become the owner of 92 acres of land by exchange. His estate is under good improvements, and he is engaged in successful farming. Mr. Ely was a second time married, Nov 17, 1876, in Adair Co, MO, to Mrs. Mary (Paddock) miner. She was born July 18, 1826, in Oneida Co., NY, where she was brought up and educated. John Paddock, her father, was an enterprising agriculturist of her native county. She was first married to Michael Cushing, who was born in Vermont and died in Pennsylvania. Two children were born of that earlier marriage, Jane, now Mrs. Buck, and michael, both of whom are living in Shelby Co., Iowa. She married Curtis Miner in Prophetstown, Whiteside County, He was a native of Vermont, and died in the military service of the United States from a gunshot wound. Frank, Curtis and Ella are the name of the children born of the second marriage. The oldest and youngest are married.
Mr. Ely is a Republican in his political opinions. [Portrait and Biographical Album of Whiteside County, Illinois, 1895, page 372]
RICHARD S.W. ELY
Richard S. W. Ely, dealer in real estate at Morrison, is a native of Connecticut and was born in Mansfield, Oct. 27, 1834, the son of the Rev. William and Harriet (Whiting) Ely. His parents were born in Connecticut. His father was a well known Congregational minister of that State. Richard was left an orphan in his boyhood, and in such limited circumstances that he was obliged to depend entirely upon his own efforts for his advancement in life. His education was received in the public schools, and when 21 years of age he sought his fortune in the West. He came to Illinois in 1851, and spent one year at Waukegan as a salesman in a mercantile house. From there he went to DeKalb, where he engaged in real-estate business. A few years later he went to Columbus, Wis., pursuing the same business. He also bought and sold real estate, and by the exercise of good judgment made many good investments, and acquired property rapidly. About 1867 he formed a partnership in real-estate business with G. A. Whitcomb, which continued about two years. In 1873 he bought out the Morrison Carriage Works, and two years later took Mr. Whitcomb in as an equal partner. The business was conducted under the firm name of Ely & Whitcomb till November, 1882, when they sold out. The Carriage Works employed an average force of 22 men and turned out from 250 to 300 carriage annually. Mr. Ely is still connected with Mr. Whitcomb in real-estate business, their transactions extending through Illinois, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa, Kansas and Nebraska, besides heavy interests in city property in Minneapolis and other cities. Their agricultural lands aggregate upward of 7,000 acres, and are valuable.
Mr. Ely continues to make his home at Morrison, where he has a handsome property. He formerly owned and remodeled the magnificent residence now the property of O. W. Woodruff. He was married at Sycamore, Ill., Oct. 5, 1858, to Miss Mary E. Crawford, daughter of Charles and Frances (Billmeyer) Crawford. Mrs. Ely was born in Pennsylvania. They have three children, -- two sons and a daughter: William R., Spencer C. and Hattie G. Mr. Ely is a stanch Democrat while he and his estimable wife are consistent members of the Presbyterian Church.
Mr. Ely began the race of life an orphan boy without means or influential friends, but possessed of shrewd business instincts, sound judgment and good executive ability, backed by pluck, enterprise an unquestioned integrity. With these qualifications, success was only a question of time. At this writing, having been a resident of Illinois 24 years, he has acquired the large property interests previously alluded to, and is reckoned among the most successful business men of Morrison. The wide range of his field of operations and the magnitude of some of his successful transactions have demonstrated his accurate judgment, cool nerve and keen business sagacity. Mr. Ely is possessed of many estimable qualities, both of heart and mind, while he is no more free from faults than many other good citizens. He is a frank, candid man, who says what he means and stands by what he says, his word being as good as his bond. Generous and free-hearted, his frequent and liberal aid to those in distress has often led to the abuse of his kindness. Notwithstanding such experience, his purse opens just as quickly to the next seemingly worthy applicant for his bounty. Friendship with his is sacred. Once having won his regard and confidence, his friends have always found him true as steel. Trouble or misfortune on the part of a friend, with him only strengthens the tie. It is often the case where one is so firm a friend, he will, where the occasion justified it, prove as bitter an enemy; but with the subject of our sketch such is not the case. Once having had his quarrel out, he harbors no animosity, but seems to forget the entire matter. In matters of public interest he has always been found liberal and enterprising. There are but few citizens of Morrison entitled to more credit for a free and generous support of worthy public enterprises than Mr. Ely. In his domestic relations he is known at his best. His unselfish devotion to his wife and children is but another consistent characteristic of the man. [Portrait and Biographical Album of Whiteside County, Illinois, 1895, Transcribed by Marji Turner, Pg 419]
CYRUS P. EMERY
Of Mt. Pleasant Township
Cyrus P. Emery was born at Moriah, Essex County, New York, March 31, 1820, and came west in 1839, stopping at Lyons, Iowa, a short time, and then settling on his present farm on section 21, Mt. Pleasant township. Mr. Emery married Miss Frances Dimick, and has several children. He has served several terms both as Assessor, and as Collector, of Mt Pleasant township, and has also been Constable for the township, and School Director in his district. His farm comprises over two hundred acres of choice land, which he has brought under a good state of cultivation, and is what can be truthfully termed a forehanded farmer. As a man, citizen, and neighbor, Mr. Emery stands high in the community. [Bent & Wilson History of Whiteside County IL 1877]
ASA F.R. EMMONS
Of Coloma Township
Asa F. R. Emmons was born in Kingston Canada. His boyhood and early manhood were passed in Connecticut, Pennsylvania and New York City. In the latter place he worked at the carpenter's trade. In 1839 he settled at Sterling, making a claim in Coloma Township, to which he moved in 1840, and has been a resident of the county since then. Mr. Emmons has been engaged in building almost continually, his taste not inclining him to farming. He was married to Elizabeth Ann Bartlett, December 25, 1835 in Pennsylvania. She died July 21, 1842. Mr Emmons was married to Nancy A. Booth, January 31, 1843. Children: Harriet M. born April 1, 1838 - she is the wife of Theodore H. Mack; Wm. H. born May 10, 1840 - died in infancy; Ida U. born March 31, 1845 - she married Charles H. Hewitt. Samuel born November 11, 1848 - died in infancy; Lucinda born December 13, 1851 - died in infancy; William L. born September 24, 1855; Nancy Cora, born April 3, 1858. [Extracted from Bent & Wilson History of Whiteside County Page 131]
EDWIN A. EMMONS
Of Tampico Township
Edwin A. Emmons, farmer, section 31, Tampico Township, was born in Coloma Township, this county, Feb. 4, 1847, his parents being Samuel and Malind (Booth) Emmons. His father, a native of Pennsylvania and a farmer by occupation, settled in Tampico Township in 1870, and died Feb. 29, 1880, at the age of 67 years. Edwin's mother was born in Virginia, and died July 24, 1883, at the residence of her daughter, Mrs. Nancy J. Macomber, in Sterling. The subject of this sketch, the elder of the two children born to his parents, was married the first time in Sterling, Jan. 25, 1867, to Miss Sarah Pike, a native of the State of NewYork. His second marriage occurred in Tampico, March 1, 1876, when he wedded Miss Irene Foy, daughter of Daniel and Matilda (Williams) Foy. Her father is a native of New York, and her mother of Kentucky. The latter were married in Hancock County, this State, and after a residence for some time in Tampico Township, this county, moved in 1874 to Phillips Co., Kan. Mrs. Emmons was born in this county, Dec. 17, 1852. She is now the mother of two children, namely: Mabel, who was born June 28, 1877; and Minnie, born Jan. 1, 1883. Mr. Emmons occupies the old homestead, which he now owns and which comprises 200 acres of well improved land. He is a School Director, and in his political views is a decided Republican. [Portraits & Biographical Pg 615]
of Sterling Twp.
John Enderton was a native of the State of New Jersey, and born October 9, 1800. He came to Sterling in 1839, and was a cabinet maker by trade. Mr. C. C. Judd came with him, and the two opened the first cabinet shop in Sterling. Mr. Enderton was married three times, his first wife being Clarissa C Goodwin; second, Nancy Warren; and third, Maria Atkins. The children by the first marriage were: Jane, and Clara. Jane married Andrew McMoore, and lives in Louisiana, Missouri. Clara married Albert Gilbert; children, Frank, and two who died in infancy; after the death of Mr. Gilbert, Mrs. Gilbert married George Gainu, who died in Sterling, in 1876. By the second marriage the children were: Mary L., Jamet H., George, Maria A., Abram B. and Sherman, B,—twins, and William H., and Robert, the latter dying in infancy. William H. died in California about six years ago; Mary L. married Henry Aument, who was afterwards drowned in a boat as it passed over the dam at Sterling children: Harry A., and two who died in infancy. James B. married Lucinda Root; he is a farmer, and lives in Iowa; children: Sophia, Jennie, and one who died in infancy. George is married, and has three children, Ina, Clara, and Cassius; he is a mechanic, and lives in Wisconsin. Maria married William Barker; children: Marion, Cortland, Bert, and an infant; the family live in California. Sherman B. is married, has three children, and lives at Lyndon, Kansas. Abram B. lives at Rock Falls, is unmarried, and follows the occupation of a commercial traveler. There was one child by the third marriage, Emma, who lives with her mother in Fulton county, Illinois. Mr. Enderton went to California in 1872, and died in 1873. [Whiteside Co History, Bent-Wilson Pg 406]
JAMES W. ENTWHISTLE
James W. Entwhistle, of Ustick Township, is a farmer on section 35, and is the son of James and Margaret (Wilson) Entwhistle, who were born in Ireland. They each emigrated to the United States in early life and were married and settled in Philadelphia. Later they came with their family to Jo Daviess Co., Ill., and resided there from 1834 to 1874, a period of 40 years. The mother died in 1854. In 1875 the father came to Whiteside County and lived four years in the family of his son, dying in 1879. Their family of children, 6 in number, were born in the following order: Mary A., Ellen, Thomas, John, James W. and Robert. Mr. Entwhistle was born Aug. 30, 1831, in Philadelphia. He was educated in the common schools of Jo Daviess County, after which he became a farmer. In 1870 he came to Whiteside County and bought 120 acres of land in the township of Ustick. He is now the owner of 240 acres of fine and valuable land, all under good cultivation.
Mr. Entwhistle was married Jan. 4, 1855, in Jo Daviess County, to Ellen, daughter of John and Ann (Statham) Lawton. The parents were born in England. The daughter was born Jun 13, 1835, in Columbia Co., N. Y. The children of Mr. and Mrs. Entwhistle are named Margaret A., John J., Carrie, Hannah and George W. Elmer E. and Ella are the names of the two that are deceased. Mr. Entwhistle is a Republican in political sentiment. He has served as School Trustee and is a member of the Order of Masonry. Both himself and his wife belong to the Presbyterian Church. [Transcribed by Marji Turner - Portraits & Biographical Pg 418]
SAMUEL S. EPLA
Samuel S. Epla, a resident of Lyndon, was born Sept. 22, 1832, in Rockingham Co., Va. When he was about five years of age his parents, John and Elizabeth Epla, went to Ohio and settled in Clarke County. His mother died there. Four years after his father went to that county, the son left there and went to Vigo Co., Ind., to reside with a brother-in-law, with whom he made his home until he was 13 years of age. In 1845 he went to Paw Paw Grove, Lee Co., Ill., and he lived there ten years. He went, in 1855, to Minnesota, and made a claim four miles west of Owatonna, broke and fenced a part of the land and built a log-house. He was actively engaged in the prosecution of his agricultural projects until 1863. He became interested in the progress of the civil war, and in the year last named he enlisted in Company C., Second Minnesota Calvary. His regiment was in frontier service, in which he was engaged about one year, when he was disabled by being thrown from a horse and received honorable discharge. He returned to Minnesota and resided there until his removal to Lyndon in 1873. In 1875 he opened a barber-shop which he continued to manage until 1884. He was married July 18, 1867, to Clara, daughter of Gustavus and Caroline (Denzer) Burke, of Owatonna. They have one child – Viola May. [Contributed by Marji Turner; Whiteside County History 1880 Pg 772]
Of Sterling Township
E.W. Epson was born in Hazelton, Luzerne county, Pennsylvania in 1834, and came with his parents to Dixon, Illinois, in 1837. His educationwas received at Rock River University, Mt. Morris, Ogle county. Among his classmates were Governor Shelby M. Cullom, Gen. John A. Rawlins, and Judge Moses Hallett, United States Judge in Colorado. The four roomed together for some time. When Mr. Edson left the University, he was employed for eight years in school teaching. At the breaking out of the Rebellion he joined the Sturgis Rifles, at Chicago. The company was an independent one, and performed guard duty at Gen. McClellan’s headquarters until that officer was relieved of his command, when it was mustered out of service. In March, 1863 Mr. Edson went to California, and engaged in business in San Francisco for four years. In 1867 he returned to Illinois, and settled in Sterling, where he has since remained, carrying on the dry goods trade during the whole time. He has been School Director, and Alderman for the Third Ward, Sterling, and is now a member of the Board of Aldermen, from that Ward. Mr. Edson is a public spirited loan, and takes a deep interest in all that pertains to the prosperity and growth of the city of his adoption. [Bent & Wilson History of Whiteside County]
Solomon Eshleman, a farmer of Clyde Township, established on section 24, was one of the first mechanics to locate at Morrison, where he started a blacksmith shop in 1855. He was born March 1, 1827, in Bucks Co., Pa., and is almost wholly without knowledge of his parents. His father died before his birth, and all the inheritance left was his name, which was bestowed upon his son. The mother was unable to give her child proper care and rearing, and she confided him; when only a few weeks old, to strangers, who did not desire to have him retain any knowledge of his origin, and he has never known her name. He became a laborer on arriving at a suitable age, and remained in his native State until he was 22 years of age. In 1850 he came to Freeport, Ill., and worked as a blacksmith, having acquired a knowledge of that business at Goodstown, Berks Co., Pa., under the training of Daniel Grooninger. He went from Freeport to Sabula, Jackson Co., Iowa, where he worked at his trade 18 months. He came thence to Savanna, Carroll Co., Ill., and was similarly occupied about one year at that place. In 1855, associated with Thomas McClelland, he established a shop at Morrison for general work. Their business relations existed four years, terminating in 1860.
Mr. Eshleman was married in December, 1860, to Louisa Siddles. She was born June 27, 1837, in New Jersey. Her parents were of New England origin and came to Illinois in the '40s, locating in Whiteside County, north of the city of Sterling. Her father and mother have both been dead for some years. Mr. Eshleman continued to prosecute the business of blacksmith in Morrison about ten years after his marriage. In 1870 he purchased 82 acres of land in Clyde Township, of which he took possession the same year. The place had been improved to some extent, and it has since been placed by its proprietor in complete agricultural condition, and has constituted the family homestead. The acreage has been increased until it includes 151 acres. Mr. Eshleman is a Democrat and was brought up in the German Lutheran faith. Five children have been born to him and his wife. William F. died in infancy. Emma E., Joseph H., Benjamin and Cora M. are the names of the four who are now living. [Contributed by Debbie Thormahlen from Portraits & Biographical Pg 256 Whiteside County IL 1885]
EDWARD J. EWERS
Edward J Ewers was born October 20, 1813, in Loudon county, Virginia, and came to Albany, Whiteside county, in March, 1839, where he remained until 1843 when he settled in what is now Fenton township. Mr. Ewers was married to Miss Mary Davis on the 22d of May 1842, in Plymouth, Richland county, Ohio. Mrs. Ewers is a native of Killingly, Windham county, Connecticut, and was born March 27,1815. The names of their children are: George N., born March 7, 1843; Sarah A., born April 12, 1844; Ellen E., born December 18, 1845; William D., born October 5, 1847; Mary E., born November 2,1849; Amy V., born December 29, 1852; Edward F., born May 10, 1855, and Jesse A., born June 20, 1858. Of these Sarah A. died May 10, 1853. George N. married Miss Jennie Hitt, and resides in Albin, Monroe county, Iowa. William D. married Miss Kate Priestly, and resides in Fenton. Mr. Ewers has always been an earnest advocate of public education, and has taken a commendable interest in the public schools of his township. To his efforts in a great degree the citizens of the town are indebted for the facilities they enjoy for the education of their children. He is at present the School Treasurer of the township. Mr. Ewers owns a fine farm of three hundred acres, on section twenty. [Extracted from Bent & Wilson History of Whiteside County Page 203]
WILLIAM LEE D. EWING
William Lee D Ewing, Governor of Illinois Nov. 3 to 17, 1834, was a native of Kentucky, and probably of Scotch ancestry. He had a fine education, was a gentleman of polished manners and refined sentiment. In 1830 John Reynolds was elected Governor of the State, and Zadok Casey Lieutenant Governor, and for the principal events that followed, and the characteristics of the times, see sketch of Gov. Reynolds. The first we see in history concerning Mr. Ewing, informs us that he was a Receiver of Public Moneys at Vandailia soon after the organization of this State, and that the public moneys in his hands were deposited in various banks, as they are usually at the present day. In 1823, the State Bank was robbed, by which disaster Mr. Ewing lost a thousand dollar deposit. The subject of this sketch had a commission as Colonel in the Black Hawk War, and in emergencies he acted also as Major. In the summer of 1832, when it was rumored among the whites that Black Hawk and his men had encamped somewhere on Rock River, Gen. Henry was sent on a tour or reconnoisance, and with orders to drive the Indians from the State. After some opposition from his subordinate officers, Henry resolved to proceed up Rock River in search of the enemy. On the 19th of July, early in the morning, five baggage wagons, camp equipage and all heavy and cumbersome articles were piled up and left, so that the army might make speedy and forced marches. For some miles the travel was exceedingly bad, crossing swamps and the worst thickets; but the large, fresh trail give life and animation to the Americans. Gen. Dodge and Col. Ewing were both acting as Majors, and composed the "spy corps" or vanguard of the army. It is supposed the army marched nearly 50 miles this day, and the Indian trail they followed became fresher, and was strewed with much property and trinkets of the red-skins that they had lost or thrown away to haste their march. During the following night there was a terrific thunder-storm, and the soldiery, with all their appurtenances, were thoroughly drenched.
On approaching nearer the Indians the next day, Gen. Dodge and Major Ewing, each commanding a battalion of men, were placed in front to bring on the battle, but the savages were not overtaken this day Forced marches were continued until they reached Wisconsin River, where a veritable battle ensued, resulting in the death of about 68 of Black Hawk’s men. The next day they continued the chase, and as soon as he discovered the trail of the Indians leading toward the Mississippi, Maj. Ewing formed his battalion in order of battle and awaited the order of Gen. Henry. The latter soon appeared on the ground and ordered a charge, which directly resulted in chasing the red warriors across the great river. Maj. Ewing and his command proved particularly efficient in war, as it seems they were the chief actors in driving the main body of the Sacs and Foxes, including Black Hawk himself, across the Mississippi, while Gen. Atkinson, commander-in-chief of the expedition, with a body of the army, was hunting for them in another direction. In the above affair Maj. Ewing is often referred to as a "General," which title he derived from his connection with the militia.
It was in the latter part of the same year (1832) that Lieutenant Governor Casey was elected to Congress and Gen. Ewing, who had been elected to the Senate, was chosen to preside over that body. At the August election of 1834, Gov. Reynolds was also elected to Congress, more then a year ahead of the time at which he could actually take his seat, as was then the law. His predecessor, Sharles Slade, had just died of Asiatic cholera, soon after the election, and Gov. Reynolds was chosen to serve out his unexpired term. Accordingly he set out for Washington in November of that year to take his seat in Congress, and Gen. Ewing, by virtue of his office as President of the Senate, became Governor of the State of Illinois, his term covering only a period of 15 days, namely, from the 3rd to the 17th days, inclusive, of November. On the 17th the Legislature met, and Gov. Ewing transmitted to that body his message, giving a statement of the condition of the affairs of the State at that time, and urging a continuance of the policy adopted by his predecessor; and on the same day Governor elect Joseph Duncan was sworn into office, thus relieving Mr. Ewing from the responsible situation. This is the only time that such a juncture has happened in the history of Illinois. On the 29th of December 1835, Gen. Ewing was elected a United States Senator to serve out the unexpired term of Elias Kent Kane, deceased. The latter gentleman was a very prominent figure in the early politics of Illinois, and a county in this State is named in his honor. The election of Gen. Ewing to the Senate was a protracted struggle. His competitors were James Semple, who afterwards held several important offices in this State, and Richard M. Young, afterward a United States Senator and a Supreme Judge and a man of vast influence. On the first ballot Mr. Semple had 25 votes, Young 19 and Ewing 18. On the eighth ballot Young was dropped; the ninth and tenth stood a tie; bon on the 12th Ewing received 40, to Semple 37, and was accordingly declared elected. In 1837 Mr. Ewing received some votes for a continuance of his term in Congress, when Mr. Young, just referred to , was elected. In 1842 Mr. Ewing was elected State Auditor on the ticket with Gov. Ford.
Gen. Ewing was a gentleman of culture, a lawyer by profession, and was much in public life. In person he was above medium height and of heavy build, with auburn hair, blue eyes, large-sized head and short face. He was genial, social, friendly and affable, with fair talent, though of no high degree of originality. He died March 25, 1846. [Whiteside County History 1880 Pg 127; Contributed by Marji Turner]
BACK -- HOME
© Copyright Genealogy Trails