Of Lyndon Twp.
Alexis Hubbard was born June 11, 1811, in Sangerfield, Oneida county, New York, and came to Lyndon with Solomon Hubbard in 1839. He married Miss Olive Dusette on the 11th of September, 1839. Mr. and Mrs. Hubbard have had no children of their own, but have adopted and raised quite a number. They are still living at their old home in Lyndon, and are very highly esteemed by all who know them. [From the History of Whiteside County - Bent - Wilson 1877]
CHARLES L. HUBBARD
Of Montmorency, IL
Charles L. Hubbard, farmer, residing on section 5, Montmorency Township, is a son of Chas. C. and Lucia A. (Reed) Hubbard, natives of New England. Soon after their marriage they came to Illinois and settled in Bureau County, where they resided most of the time until the spring of 1880, when they came to this county. On arrival here they located in Sterling and continued to reside there until the father's death, April 6, 1883. The mother still survives. Their family consisted of two children, May C. and Charles L.
Charles L. was born in Malden, Bureau County, this State, Oct. 11, 1860. He attended the common schools of the county until he was 16 and then for three years attended the Dover Academy in Bureau County. He lived at home until 1880 when he came to this county and settled on a farm of 240 acres his father purchased in Montmorency Twp. of which he has had the entire management, giving his attention largely to the breeding of thoroughbred cattle and horses, and taking a prominent position among the advanced farmers of the county. Mr. Hubbard is identified with the republican party. Religiously he is a member of the Congregational Church of Sterling. [Portraits & Biographical History of Whiteside 1885 Pg. 362]
FERDINAND B. HUBBARD
Of Lyndon Twp.
Ferdinand B. Hubbard is a native of Sangerfield, Oneida county, New York, and was born May 4, 1818. He married Miss Mary O. Dorchester, April 17, 1850. Their children are Siley M. born December 14, 1852; Charles, born March 7, 1855; Ferdinand B., Jr., born May 24, 1857; Lizzie C., born March 26, 1859; Belle, born March 28, 1861; Hattie A., born January 4, 1863, and Lena C., born August 20, 1865. Mr. Hubbard came to Lyndon in October, 1839, with his brother Alexis, and at first taught school, and afterwards became a farmer. In 1855 he moved to Sterling, and engaged in the agricultural implement business, which he has since followed. The firm is now F. B. Hubbard & Sons, and their business house is on the corner of Mulberry and Second streets, Sterling. Mr. Hubbard is an active, thorough business man, a good citizen, and a kind neighbor. [From History of Whiteside County - Bent - Wilson 1877]
FREDERICK B. HUBBARD JR.
Frederick B. Hubbard, of the firm of Dill & Co. furniture dealers of Sterling, was born Oct. 26, 1859 in Dover, Bureau Co IL and remained at home until 18 years of age, receiving a fine education. He then went to Yankton Dak. arriving there June 19, 1878 and spending a year and a half in the jeweler's business. Next he engaged in the same business for himself in Hiawatha, Brown Co KS. A year and a half after, he sold out, came to Sterling and made a commencement int he same line of business; but his health failing, he sold out, and engaged with his present partner in the furniture trade, which they have to the present carried on with success to themselves and satisfaction to their patrons. Mr. Hubbard was married to Miss Louisa H. Brown of St. Joseph MO March 27, 1881. They have a daughter Ada L who was born May 24, 1883. He belongs to the Knights of Honor, the Modern Woodmen of America and the Knights of Phythias. Mr. Hubbard is a liberal and public-spirited citizen worthy of official trust. [From the History of Whiteside County - Portraits & Biographical 1885 Pg 330]
Dr. N.W. HUBBARD
Of Fulton, IL
Dr. N.W. Hubbard, deceased, formerly a resident of Fulton, possessed a national reputation with the medical profession as the inventor of the world-renowned "Hubbard Truss" and the originator of the successful system of hernia treatment which bears his name. The use of the ingenious appliances invented by Dr. Hubbard and the application of his system of treatment in cases of hernia, has resulted in saving many lives and in affording relief ot thousands of sufferers.
Dr. Hubbard was the eldest son in a family of ten children, and was born in the town of Randolph, Portage Co., Ohio, April 10, 1810. His parents, Bela F. and Clarissa (Ward) Hubbard, were natives of Connecticut and were among the pioneer settlers of the Western Reserve of Ohio. Dr. Hubbard took a regular course at the Medical College of Columbus Ohio and graduated with honor in the class of 1840. He entered upon the practice of his profession at Newark, Licking Co OH. Being a sufferer from hernia, he was led to an investigation of the current methods of treatment and the mechanical appliances in use in such cases. He made a thorough study of the subject, that resulted in valuable discoveries, which were presented to the profession through a paper read by him before the State Medical Assoc. of Ohio, and which was printed and circulated extensively by order of the Association. During his long and useful career his services and advice were often sought, in consultation, by such teachers of surgery as Girdon Buck and Willard Parker of NY and R.L. Howard of Ohio.
Dr. Hubbard was married at Rootstown, Portage Co OH July 6, 1837, to Mary A. Coe, daughter of Samuel and Lucy (Lester) Coe. Mrs. Hubbard is a native of Portage Co OH. Her parents were born and brought up in Mass. and were among the early pioneers of Western OH. The Doctor removed to Elyria OH in 1851 and from that time on he devoted his efforts entirely to his specialty, the treatment of hernia in its various phases. He came to Fulton IL in 1855, and made this his home untilthe time of his death which occurred May 14, 1883. While Fulton was his place of residence, his professional services were in demand throughout the States and Territories, and for some years he maintained an office in New York City.
He was an earnest supporter of a free and liberal educational system, and for several years was a member of th Board of Trustees of the Northern IL College. He was enterprising and public-spirited, taking an active part in matters of local improvement. He was active in organizing the Agricultural Society of Whiteside Co. and was chosen its first President. In politics he was an ardent Republican, of strong anti-slavery sympathies in the early history of the party and of as strong Prohibition sympathies in later years. Withal, he was conservative and advocated only legitimate, legal measures of redress, always opposing extreme or radical views.
Dr. and Mrs. Hubbard had four children, two sons and two daughters - Frances, Lester C., Frederick H. and Grace. Frances is the widow of Harry Bellard, and resides at Hannibal MO. Lester C. was a Captain in the volunteer service in the late war, and is now employed as editor on a Boston paper. Frederick H. studied medicine and graduated at Bellevue Hospital Medical College of NY and is engaged in the practice of his profession at Brooklyn. He married Miss Emma Owen of Hannibal MO. Grace resides with her mother at the old homestead at Fulton IL. Dr. Hubbard was a true and affectionate husband and father, a worthy brother of the Masonic Order, being a member of Fulton City Lodge No. 189, A. F. & A.M. As a neighbor and citizen he was held in high esteem, while in the medical profession, where his great services were best appreciated, he won a place of which his friends may well be proud. [Portraits & Biographical History of Whiteside 1885 Pg. 255]
Of Lyndon Twp
Solomon Hubbard, a pioner of Whiteside County, whither he came in 1838, was born July 19, 1804, in Sangersfield, Oneida Co., N.Y. His parents were named Abel and Lila (Andrews) Hubbard, and he was under their care and authority until he reached his majority. In 1825 he went to Sweden, Monroe Co., N.Y., where he was married, Aug. 31, 1826, to Sarepta, daughter of William and Elizabeth (Branch) Stone. He purchased a farm in Sweden Township, which he conducted until his rmoval in 1830, to Ohio. He there bought a farm in the township of York, in Medina County, on which he prosecuted his agricultural interests until 1838. He sold out in the spring of that year, and after settling his family comfortably he started for Illinois on foot. He walked all the way to Whiteside County, where his brother, E. A. Hubbard, had made a claim for him. He put in a crop on the farm of his brother, and in July went back to Ohio. He started for Illinois with his family and household goods, traveling by canal and the lakes to Chicago, where he left his family and walked to Whiteside County. He obtained three yokes of oxen and two wagons, and went back to Chicago for his family. He occupied the claim of his brother until 1845, and meanwhile improved his own, which was located on the northeast quarter of section 18, Lyndon Township. In the year last mentioned he removed to his farm.
Four sons of Mr. and Mrs. Hubbard responded to the call of the Nation in its hour of danger from foes of its own household: Chauncey B., was born July 4, 1827; he enlisted, and was made Sergeant of Co. B, 75th Ill. Regt. Vol. Inf., and was wounded at the battle of Stone River, in December, 1863, receiving a discharge on account of his injury. He afterward raised a volunteer company, which was assigned to the 145th Ill. Regiment, and on its organization as Co. G he was made its Captain. He served through the remainder of the war. He married Elizabeth Morris, and lives in Clark Co., Dak. Orson K. was born May 24, 1843. He enlisted in Co. B, 75th Ill. Vol. Inf., and was killed Oct. 8, 1862, at the battle of Perryville, Ky. He was shot through the heart. William was born Nov. 20, 1838. He lives in Lincoln, Republic Co., Kan. He also enlisted, and was wounded at Stone River. George H. is the occupant of the homestead. He was born Feb. 16, 1845. In 186i, when 16 years of age, he became a soldier 44, in Co. B, 75th Ill., and received a severe gunshot wound at Shiloh, the ball entering his face and coining out at the back of his head. He was discharged, but on recovery he again enlisted to pay the private score he owed the rebels, reasoning that lightning and minie balls seldom strike twice in the same place. He enrolled in the Eighth Ill. Vol. Cav, and served through the war. He was married in 1871 to Eliza Paulins, who died a year later. Mr. Hubbard was again married, April 1875, to Olive L. Adams. Burtie, Maxie and Edna are their children. Elizabeth was born Sept. 20, 1831, and died in 1848 ; Emma A., born Dec. 11, 1836, died in 1848; Darwin, born July 15, 1833, died in 1848. September, October and November of the fatal year, death's messenger took away a number of the hitherto unbroken household. Levi was born June 15, 1829, and is a resident of Mapleton, Iowa. Mrs. Hubbards father was born Oct 24, 1779, in Massachusetts, and died Sept. 20, 1849, in Ohio. Her mother was born Dec. 20, 1781, also in the Bay State, and died Oct. 22, 1849, in Ohio [Portrait and Biographical Album of Whiteside County, Illinois, Chapman Brothers Publishing Co., Chicago, 1885., Page 346]
SOLOMON HUBBARD was born July 19, 1804 in Sangerfield, Oneida County New York, and came to Lyndon from Clarendon, Orleans County, New York 1839. He married Miss Saropta Stone, August 30, 1826. The children of marriage were Chauncy B. born July 4, 1827; Levi, born June 15, 1829, Elizabeth, born September 20, 1831; Darwin, born July 15, 1833; Almina, December 11, 1836; William, born November 20, 1838; Orson, born May 24, 1843, and George Henry, born February 16, 1845. Of these, Elizabeth died October 14, 1849; Almina died September 23, 1849, and Darwin died November 7, 1849. Chauncy M. married Miss Lizzie Morris; children, Orson, Dana and Nellie V. Levi married Miss Ruth Delano; no children living. William married Mary E. Hayes; children, Minnie S., Walter S. and George H. George married Miss Louisa Pollins; one child, who died in infancy; Mrs. Hubbard died and Mr. Hubbard married his second wife, Miss Olive F. Adams. Chauncy M. enlisted in Company B, 75th Illinois Volunteers, and was elected Sergeant; he was wounded at the battle of Stone river, and afterwards discharged on account of the wound. William enlisted in Company B 34th Regiment Illinois Volunteers, and was wounded at the battle of Stone river; afterwards did hospital service until the close of the war. Orson Hubbard also enlisted in Company B, 34th Regiment Illinois Vols, and became sick while in the service, and was discharged; he afterwards enlisted in Company B, 75th Ilhnois Volunteers, became Corporal, and was killed at the battle of Perryville, Kentucky, October 8, 1862, and was buried on the battlefield. George Henry also became a member of Company B, 34th Regiment Illinois Volunteers, and was wounded at the battle of Shiloh, and afterwards discharged on account of his wound; he re-enlisted in Company C, 8th Illinois Cavalry, and served during the remainder of the war. Each of these patriotic brothers was wounded in the head and breast. George H. was shot in the face, the ball coming out at the back of the head, and is still living. Orson was shot through the heart. [Bent-Wilson 1877 Pg 272]
Of Montmorency Twp
Solomon Hubbard, lumber merchant at Rock Falls, was born in Thetford, Orange Co., Vt., Oct. 28, 1817, being the sixth in a family of 12 children. His parents were Josiah and Cynthia (Cummings) Hubbard, of Connecticut, and followers of farming pursuits. He received a fine education in the academies of his native town, and assisted his father on the farm until 15 years of age, when for three years he was a clerk in a store. He then opened a general stock of goods in Strafford, Vt., continuing in mercantile business there about two years; likewise in Thetford two years. Selling out, he came to Dover, Bureau Co., Ill., in 1848, where he was a merchant 15 years. He sold his stock there and followed the same business in Rockford, Ill., for eight months. Next, he was a resident of Dover again, four years, dealing in real estate; and finally, in 1869, he moved to Sterling, where for the first five years he was engaged in the sale of dry goods. He sold out, and for four years afterward he purchased a stock of groceries and was a dealer in that line one year; then dealt in real estate until 1882, when he purchased the lumber yard and stock of Wheeler & Brown, of Rock Falls, in the management of which he and his two sons, Harry F. and Arthur G., are now engaged, employing two other men as assistants. Their sales aggregate $50,000 or more per year. His first residence, consisting of a house and two lots on Second street, he sold, and in 1883 bought another house and tow lots, on the same street, for $6,000, where he now resides. Mr. Hubbard was married Sept. 23, 1845 at Randolph, Mass., to Miss Amanda N. Belcher, a native of Vermont. They have seven children, four of whom are living, - Harry F., Frederick B., Arthur G. and Emma A. Frederick B. married Lulu Brown, of St. Joseph, Mo., and they reside in Sterling, where MR. H. is engaged in the furniture business of Dill & Co. In his political views, Mr.Hubbard, the subject of the foregoing sketch is a Republican. [Portrait and Biographical Album of Whiteside County, Illinois, Chapman Brothers Publishing Co., Chicago, 1885., Page 346]
Elisha Hubbart was born in Warwick county, Pennsylvania, February 7, 1797. When seven years of age he moved with his father’s family to Otsego county, New York, where he remained until he was twenty, when he went to Broome county, in the same State, in which county he was married to Miss Irany Coburn, in March, 1820. He resided in Broome county, engaged in farming, and attending to his profession as horse farrier, until the spring of 1837, when he moved to Michigan, remaining there only about a year, and then continuing his journey westward arrived at Lyndon, February 27, 1838, his wife's father and family having preceded him.
He stayed a short time in Lyndon, and then made a claim on sections 34 and 35, in what is now Union Grove township, and in section 2 in the present township of Fenton, the claim containing two hundred and eighty acres. While preparing this claim for cultivation, he resided for the season on what is now known as the Dimick farm, in Mt. Pleasant township, and moved to his own farm in the fall of 1838. Mrs. Hubbart was born March 13, 1802, in New York State, and died May 12, 1839. Mr. Hubbart died February 10, 1842, at Snake Hollow, near Galena, while on a trip te sell hogs. The children of Mr. and Mrs. Hubbart have been: William W., born August 29, 1821; James C., born October 12, 1823; Simpson S., born March 3, 1825; Cynthia E., born April 21,1827; Mary A., born March 14,1829; Benjamin F., born January 9, 1832; Czarina I., born September 9,1836; Elisha H.born May 12, 1839. Mary A. died in Union Grove, in August, 1856. William W. married Miss Julia Penny, and lives in Erie; James C. married Miss Mariah L. Putney, and lives in Erie; Simpson S. married Miss Adeline Remer, and lives in Union Grove; Cynthia E. married Reuben Baker, and lives in Kansas; Benjamin F. married Miss Virginia R. Thompson, and lives in Erie; Czarina I. married Ariah Broadwell, and died in the fall of 1859 at her home in Minnesota; and Elisha H. married Miss Harriet Remer, and lives near Puget Sound, in Washington Territory. [Bent Wilson History of Whiteside County 1877]
JAMES C. HUBBART
of Erie Township
James C. Hubbart is a native of the town of Sanford, Broome county, New York, and was born October 12, 1822. In May, 1837, he started with his parents for the then far West, stopping for nearly a year in Michigan. and on the 20th of February, 1838, arrived at Lyndon, Whiteside county. The family remained here only about four weeks, and then moved to a place half a mile east, of the present city of Morrison, finally locating on Delhi prairie, in Union Grove township. Mr. Hubbart remained on the farm in Union Grove until the death of his father in 1842, when he spent the following three years in traveling through Wisconsin and New York States, and returned in August, 1845, again taking possession of the farm. In 1855 he sold the farm, and purchased another in Erie township to which he removed and upon which he has continued to reside since. October 14,1855, he married Miss Mariah L. Putney, at Erie, the following being the children of this union: Mary J, born February 15, 1857; Luella May, born June 22, 1881, and James, born February 11, 1866. Mr. Hubbart is an active go-a-head business man, and to him the village of Erie is indebted for the erection of a grist mill in 1870, store in 1871, and cheese factory in 1873. He ran the store, keeping it stocked with goods, until 1877. A few such men only are needed to build up a town - men who do not hold back but push forward every enterprise that will aid the growth and prosperity of the place. [Extracted from Bent & Wilson History of Whiteside County Page 153]
JAMES C. HUBBART, owning 600 acres of land, located on sections 4 and 15, Erie Township, is the son of Elisha and Irena (Coburn) Hubbart. He is one of the progressive and enterprising farmers of Whiteside County, and his birth dates back to the 12th day of October, 1822, atwhich time, in Broome Co., N. Y., he was born. His father was a native of New Jersey, his .birth occurring in Morris County that State, and at an early age he moved to the State of New York, where he resided until his marriage. In. 1838 he carne to this county, arriving in February, that year, and located in Union Grove Township. The mother of the subject of this notice was a native of the State of New York; both parents died in this State. The family of the parents. of Mr. Hubbart comprised eight children, six of whom survive: William resides in the village of Erie; James C. is next in order of birth; Simpson S. is a farmer by occupanon in resides in Erie; he owns the homestead of 230 acres, located in Union Grove Township; Cynthia is the wife of Rev. Reuben Baker, a minister of the Free Methodist Church, and is located at Princeton, this State; Mary died at the age of 16 years; Benjamin resides in Erie; Elisha is engaged in mine speculating in Washington Territory; Irena was the wife of Area Broadwell, and they resided in Minnesota until the date of their deaths. In the spring of 1837 the family started by team from New York, and went to Michigan; arriving at Mottville, they ran short of funds and were compelled to remain at that point during the summer the following February they again started for this county, and arrived here about the 25th of that month. The parents of Mrs. Hubbart, mother of the subject of this notice, had already preceded her to this county, having arrived here in July, 1837, and had made a dearing for Mr. Hubbart's father, of 160 acres of land, located on sections 3[ and 32, Union Grove Township. The father erected a log cabin and put in a crop for another man, and in August of that year they moved into their own cabin. In May of the following year, 1839 the wife and mother, who had come West hoping to establish a home for her children, was struck down by the hand of Death, the event occurring the 12th day of that month. The father survived her until March 8, 1841, when he died near the city of Galena, this State, while absent on business.
At the date of the death of their parents, the children were all minors, and Benjamin Coburn was appointed their administrator. On attaining the age of 19 years, Mr. Hubbart went to the Wisconsin pineries, where he remained for one year; returning, he found another party on the claim made by his father, and in 1845 he and his brother Simpson purchased the claim, then consisting of 200 acres. Mr. Hubbart and his brother resided on the place and cultivated the same, their sister Irena keeping house for them. Jan. 1, 1852, his brother was married and brought his wife to the claim.
Mr. Hubbart was united in marriage in Erie Township, on the farm on which he at present resides, Oct. 14, 1855, to Miss Maria Putney, daughter of Arthur and Lucinda Putney. She was born in Massachusetts, Oct. 10, 1834 Their union has been blest with three children,all born on the farm, namely: Mary, Feb. 16, 1857, and is the wife of Eugene Burridge, a druggist and physician at Parkersville, Morris Co., Kan.; Luella, born June 21, 1862, is the wife of William James, a farmer residing on a portion of Mr. Hubbart's farm; James P., born Feb. 11, 1865, resides on the farm.
After marriage Mr. Hubbart sold out his interest in the farm (which he owned in partnership with his brother) to the latter, and purchased the farm on which he at present resides, and which previously belonged to his wife's parents. He first purchased 160 acres, and has subsequently added to the same until at present he is the proprietor of 600 acres. He has a fine and well improved farm. with three residences, four barns and other out-buildings located thereon, together with an orchard and the whole is well built. He usually keeps about 100 head of cattle, graded Short-horns, and has a large dairy of from 30 to 40 cows. He also keeps from 25 to 30 head of horses, and from 60 to 100 head of hogs each year. He has rented 300 acres of his fine farm and one-half of his cows. Socially, Mr. Hubbart is a member of the Order of Masonry, and is also a member of the Order of Sons of Temperance. In addition to his acreage, as stated, he, in partnership with Arthur McLane, owns 200 acres of timber and pasture land in Erie Township. [Portrait and Biographical PG 712]
JAMES C. HUBBART, deceased, through years of his identification with Whiteside county enjoyed the highest respect of his fellow citizens by reason of his strict integrity and sterling worth. He was born in New York state, October 12, 1822, but in early life came to Whiteside county, Illinois, with his parents, with whom he remained until after their deaths. He then took up the carpenter's trade, at which he worked until his marriage. On the 14th of October, 1853, Mr. Hubbart married Miss Maria L. Putney, who was born in North Adams, Massachusetts,October 1834, a daughter of Arthur and Lucinda Putney, and a granddaughter ofJoseph and Jemima Putney. She was one of a family of three children, of whom onedied in infancy, and the other, Louisa, died at the age of seven years. To our subject and his wife were also born three children, namely: Maria I.; Lula L.. wife of William H. James, a farmer of Fenton township; and James P., a farmer of Erie township.
After his marriage, Mr. Hubbart turned his attention to agricultural pursuits, and successfully operated a fine farm of three hundred and ninety-seven acres in Erie township, which land had been entered from the government by Mrs. Hubbart's father and is now in her possession. Mr. Hubbart did not confine his attention alone to farming, for at different times he was interested in a number of other enterprises. He built the steam gristmill now owned by Mr. Pierce and also built and conducted the creamery which he afterward sold to Mr. Mason. For a number of years he was also engaged in mercantile business in Erie, and in all his undertakings he met with fair success, being a man of good business ability and sound judgment. Throughout the greater part of his life he was a supporter of the Democratic party, but during his last years voted the Prohibition ticket, and he was called upon to fill several local offices. He was a consistent and earnest member of the Baptist church and died in that faith, May 18, i886. In the spring of 1893, Mrs. Hubbart removed to Erie, where she erected a good modern residence, and here surrounded by a large circle of friends and acquaintances she expects to spend her remaining days. [Whiteside Biographical Record 1900 Pg 517]
SIMPSON S. HUBBART
Of Union Grove Twp.
Simpson S. Hubbart was born in the town of Sanford, Broome county, New York, March 3, 1825. In May, 1837, he came West with his father’s family, and arrived in Whiteside county February 27, 1838. Shortly after their arrival the family settled on sections 34 and 35 in Union Grove, and section 2 in Fenton, the farm containing two hundred and eighty acres. After the death of his father, in 1842, Mr. Hubbart and his brother, James C., became the owners of the farm, until he purchased the latter’s interest in 1855, since which time he has been sole owner, and has continued to reside upon it, his home being in Union Grove township. On the second of February, 1853, Mr. Hubbart married Miss Adeline B. Remer, of Union Grove. Their children have been: Fitz James, born January 3, 1854; Mary Lillian, born September 2, 1855; Jene Douglas, born August 8, 1860; Franklin Lee, born November 4, 1862; Samuel Grant, born May 8,1864; Susie I., born August 30, 1865; Charles Henry, born August 31, 1868; Stella May, born May 8, 1870; Franz Sigel, born November 13, 1871. Mary Lillian, Jene Douglas, Susie I., and Charles Henry are dead. [Bent - Wilson History of Whiteside County 1877]
Of Genesee Township
Ezra R. Huett came from the State of NY and settled in Genesee Grove in 1839. He married Miss Clawson. After remaining a number of years he settled in Northern Iowa. He was a carpenter by trade. Had 13 children. [Bent & Wilson History of Whiteside County IL 1877]
Of Genesee Township
Jacob Huffman and family came from Canada, and settled on the north side of Genesee Grove in 1837. He was a farmer; had 4 sons and 3 daughters. The oldest son and one daughter died in the Grove. The other children are still living, two in Whiteside county. The parents have been dead a number of years. [Bent & Wilson History of Whiteside County IL, 1877]
Michael Huffman son of Henry and Mary Eve/Maria Eva Propst Huffman was born 15 July 1783 Rockingham, Virginia and died 20 October 1872 age 89; Newton Township, Whiteside, Illinois. In Susannah Virginia Mitchell Heffelbower, his granddaugher's autograph book he wrote: "I was born July 15, 1783. I will leave you these lines to se when I am gown and if you should live to this age I Pray God to Bless you while in This troublesome world - February 11th 1856. Your granfather, Michael Huffman"
His occupation was farming. He married 1 October 1805 Pendleton County, West Virginia to Susannah Summers born abt. 1786 VA/WV died 1 October 1872 age 86, Newton, Whiteside, Illinois; buried at Smack [Zion Methodist] Cemetery; daughter of Johan Paul Summers & Elizabeth Hull To this union 12 children were born Naomi Rexroad Harmon,, William, Adam, Angeline, Elizabeth Mitchell, Nathan, Rachel C. Raner, Paul, Mahulda Rexroad, Sarah - died in infancy in Randolph Co, WV, Athey S., Phebe Ann Carr Davis
Michael and Susanna lived in Randolph and Braxton Counties in West Virginia before moving to Whiteside County, Illinois where their son, Adam and daughters, Mahulda Rexroad and Elizabeth Mitchell located. Susannah preceded him with two of their children, Athey and Phebe Ann in 1850. Michael remained behind with another daughter Rachel Raner, apparently to sell off his property during a time of unrest prior to the Civil War. He rejoined his wife shortly after. His children, Rachel, William and Nathan also subsequently moved to Whiteside Co, IL. Paul, a minister, was the only child to relocate in another area, Kentucky. Paul and Nathan adopted Hoffman with an "O' as did Athey prior to his death. Though, all records of the living Michael are under the spelling of Huffman, their children used Hoffman on their tombstone. William and Adam retained the Huffman spelling. Grandson, Asa W Mitchell was killed in the CW. [Contributed by Marji Turner]
Of Garden Plain Twp.
William Huffman, farmer, sec. 36, Garden Plain Twp., was born Aug. 5, 1808 in Pendleton Co. WV of which county his parents, Michael and Susanna (Summers) Huffman, were both natives. He was reared as a farmer. In 1836 he married Mary A. Jordan, who was also born in the county of Pendleton. A little later, he bought a farm in Braxton County WV where he resided more than 30 years. In 1864 he sold the place and removed to this county. His change of base was the result of the war. He was a Union man in sentiment, and suffered accordingly, as his estate was invaded by the contending parties on both sides and his property stolen or destroyed. When he could endure the situation no longer, he sold his farm, at a sacrifice, and became a citicen of a State of decided views on the question of an indissoluble Union. On coming to this county he bought a farm, N.E. 1/4 of sec. 36, Garden Plain Twp. He is in prosperous circumstances, and has greatly increased the value of his property by the addition of excellent buildings and facilities for the care of stock. Mr. Huffman also owns a dairy. The mother of Mrs. Huffman is a member of the family and is 95 years old. [Portrait & Biographical 1885 Pg 798]
JOHN B. HUGHES
Clerk of Jordan Township, is a farmer and prominent stock-grower on section 24. He was born March 23, 1857, in St. Clair, Schuylkill Co., Pa. William Hughes, his father, was a native of Columbia Co., Pa., and was a farmer. The family is of Welsh descent, as is indicated by the name, although the later generations are all of American birth. The father went to Schuylkill County where he was young, and he there engaged in mercantile business at St. Clair, where he established his interests on a scale of considerable magnitude. Later, he went to Beaver Meadow, where he was similarly occupied for a time, but he returned to St. Clair, where he was married June 2, 1856, to Elizabeth Bamford. She was born Feb. 6, 1832, in the city of Liverpool, England. Her parents, John and Sophia (Goodacher) Bamford, were natives of Derbyshire. She was but a few weeks old when her father emigrated with his family to Canada. After a residence of two years in the Dominion they went to Schuylkill Co., Pa., where they reared and educated their children. Mrs. Hughes has become the mother of two children - John B. of this sketch, and Sophia E., who is her mother’s companion still.
When Mr. Hughes was five years old, in 1862, his parents came to Illinois. In May of that year they located on 160 acres of unimproved land on section 24, Jordan Township. To this the father added 40 acres on section 23 by a later purchase; and at the time of his death, which occurred Oct. 14, 1877, he was the owner of 200 acres of land in a valuable agricultural condition. The buildings on the place are eminently creditable to the judgment and taste of the former proprietor, who has left a fine estate as a memorial of a life of useful effort. He died at 53 years of age. He was prominent as an agriculturist and generally esteemed as a substantial and reliable citizen. The mother is yet living. She is a member of the Methodist Church.
Mr. Hughes passed the first 17 years of his life on the homestead farm and attended the public schools. At that age he entered the Second Ward School at Sterling, and was graduated June 21, 1876, when he was 19 years of age. He began the profession of a teacher in Genesee Township, which he pursued until his own plans were interrupted by the death of his father. Since that date he has been engaged in the management of the homestead. He is interested in growing stock and owns a fine herd of Short-Horn cattle and a drove of full-blooded Poland-China swine. His home, "West Lawn," is one of the finest farms in Whiteside County, and his herd, "West Lawn Herd" comprises many animals of fashionable breeding and rare individual merit. He has met with success in that branch of business, and has competed, with gratifying results, with other stock-growers at the local fairs.
Mr. Hughes is possessed of a well-trained and disciplined mind, is a great reader and has a well assorted and valuable library. He was elected Township Clerk in the spring of 1879, and has held the office ever since. He received the election to the same position in the spring of the current year. He is also officiating as School Treasurer. His marriage to Mary Bennison occurred Dec. 18, 1878, at Kewanee, Henry Co., Ill. She was born Oct. 17, 1854, in Shullsburg, Lafayette Co., Wis., and is the daughter of William and Sarah (Walton) Bennison, the former a native of England and the latter of Pennsylvania. Both are of English origin. They were married in Wisconsin. In 1865 they removed to Kewanee, where her father, who was a merchant in Wisconsin, resumed that occupation. He died in 1871, when the daughter was 17 years of age. Her mother is still living. The children of Mr. And Mrs. Hughes are recorded as follows: Winifred B., born Dec. 18, 1879; Raymond G., born Nov. 12, 1881; Bert E., born Dec. 2, 1883. [Whiteside County History 1880]
JOHN M. HUGHES
John M. Hughes, farmer residing on section 7, Mt. Pleasant Township, this county, Aug. 24, 1847. The education of mr. Hughes was acquired in the common schools of this county, and his years were spent on his father's farm until about 1875. He then removed to Ustick Township, this county, resided there a year and then went to Mt. Pleasant Township, where he at present resides. He is the owner of 213 acres of land in the latter township, located on section 7, and about 115 acres of the same is in a good tillable condition. Mr. Hughes was united in marriage in Garden Plain Township, Oct. 22, 1873, to Miss Phebe R. Thompson. She is a daughter of James K. and Martha (Kyle) Thompson, natives of Pennsylvania. The came to this county in 1863 and settled in Garden Plain Township, where they at present reside. The issue of their union was nine children, namely: Margaret, Eliza J., John R., Phebe R., Sarah E., Eva M., Alice E., James A. and King W.
Mrs. Hughes was born in Wisconsin, Sept. 16, 1853. She and her husband are the parents of three children, namely: Herbert, Perry M. and Emma. Politically, Mr. Hughes is identified with the Republican party. [Transcribed by Marji Turner, Whiteside County History 1885 Pg 471]
RICHARD TILTON HUGHES
OF Genesee Township
R. Tilton Hughes was born in Kentucky June 17 1812. When he was 12 years old his father and family emigrated to Shawneetown, Illinois. After remaining there a few years, they went to Jacksonville,Illinois. At that time there was but one house where Jacksonville now stands. They remained there until 1834, when they went north and settled in Elkhorn Grove, which was then in Jo Davies County, but is now in Carroll County. They finally settled in Genesee Grove in 1839. After remaining a number of years, Mr. Hughes sold out and bought Jonathan Haines farm just west of the Jacobstown mill and two miles northwest of Morrison, where he still lives. By unremitting labor he has laid up enough of this worlds good to make himself comfortable, besides making provision for all his children, who have settled in his immediate neighborhood. Mr.Hughes was married to Mary Jane Scoville, March 13, 1841. Children: James F born February 1 1845, John N born August 24 1846, Caroline F born February 18 1849; Oletha born March 19 1859. All are now living except James F who was accidently drowned in Rock creek, aged 10 years. Mr Hughes was in this county nine years before the lands were brought into market by the government. [Bent & Wilson History of Whiteside County Page 225]
RICHARD T. HUGHES has been a farmer in Whiteside County since 1839, and has resided in Illinois 51 years. He came, in 1834, to a location south of Elkhorn Grove, now in Carroll County, which was then in the county of Jo Daviess. He settled on a claim of 440 acres of land, and put in a considerable proportion under improvement. In 1839 he sold out, preparatory to removal to Genesee Grove. He bought a large acreage in Genesee Township, and improved two farms. In 1848 he again sold his estate, and bought 215 acres of Jonathan Haines on section 7, Mt. Pleasant Township, which was under partial improvement, embracing 68 acres of timber. It is, in point of location, one of the best farms in the township, the timber being stiuated on a rise of ground and the broad acres of prairie stretching south and west. Mr. Hughes has placed his farm under advanced cultivation, with good and suitable buildings. He made later purchases, and is now the owner of 480 acres, a large proportion of which is under cultivation. He was born Oct. 17, 1812, in Clermont Co., Ohio, and is the son of Allen and Elizabeth (Tilton) Hughes. His grandfather, Allen Hughes (1st) was a native of Virginia, where his son Allen (2d) was born. The latter went to Kentucky, where he was married. Richard Tilton, the maternal grandfather of Mr. Hughes of this sketch, was a member of a prominent Kentucky family, noted for the characteristics which distinguished the pioneer inhabitant of that State. The traditions which have come to their descendants preserve the memory of the beauty of their women, and the bravery of the male members of the family in the historic times when Kentucky was placed on permanent record as the "dark and bloody ground." Richard Tilton was a Methodist minister of prominence and influence, and preached many years in Kentucky. His family included 12 or 13 children; and, after they had attained to the growth if not the years of maturity, they removed to Okaw, the southeastern township of Bond County, on the Kaskaskia River, in Illinois. They were pioneers, and received the full benefit of the poisonous emanations from the low marshes in their vicinity, which resulted in the most terrible mortality. One by one the stalwart sons and fair daughters succumbed, and the parents followed in their turn. Five individuals lay dead in the house at one time. Several recovered, and as soon as was possible, they went back to the old home in Kentucky, leaving a monstrous estate, including thousands of acres, under the control of a lawyer named Robert Turner, through whose chicanery the entire property was wasted, and availed nothing to its rightful owners, the heirs of Richard Tilton. One of the daughters, Oletha, married Samuel Parker, a Methodist divine of distinction, the record of whose labors and abilities are preserved with just pride in the annals of the Church, and who died at New Orleans to which place he had been sent by the Conference.
Allen and Elizabeth Hughes had 15 children, 13 of whom lived to adult age, and were born in the following order: Melinda, John A., Sarah, Elizabeth, Polly, Nancy, Richard T., Oletha, Amanda, Emily, Allen, Perry, and James P. the parents were earnest believers in the principles of Christianity, and lived in the satisfaction of a belief which crowned their lives with triumph, having received satisfactory evidence of every child following where they had been led in faith and humility. Six are now deceased, dying in the exultant faith of Christian believers. Those who survive are passing their sunset years in the calmness and content of the trust in which they were trained. The senior Hughes removed to Ohio with his wife and children, in the closing years of the 18th century, where he became prominent in the business relating to the development of the part of the State where he settled. He owned immense tracts of land, on which he induced settlers to locate; he built mills, and operated extensively as a financier; but troublesome times came, and the scarcity of money induced ruin from the impossibility of making assets available, and in 1823 he removed to White Co., Ill. Later he went to Morgan County, where he died in 1834. While a resident of Ohio, he held several public of offices trust, while at the same time he was burdened with heavy business care. His commercial operations extended upon the principal rivers. He even went to New Orleans, being absent for a month at a time and thus increasing the home cares of Mrs. H., as she had the hired hands at Mr. Hughes' mills to look after, etc. In the evening of his closing career of 55 years, he often remarked that his sleep was sweet to him on account of his freedom from business cares. He died a tranquil death, as did Mrs. Hughes.
Mr. Hughes is the seventh child of his parents, and he was 12 years of age when they removed to White Co., Ill. He went with them to Morgan Co., and in 1834 he came to Jo Daviess County, now Carroll. His father died within the year, and his mother, with six children, joined him at Elkhorn Grove. They were without means of support; but the son only felt that he was happy in having them to provide for, and he bent every energy to the fulfillment of the duty, whose magnitude will be apparent to those who consider the fact that the nearest point of supplies was at Hennepin on the Illinois River. Mr. Hughes was in his young manhood; and, through the first winter at Elkhorn Grove, he made frequent trips to Hennepin for the necessaries of life, encountering all the trials and hardships of an unsettled portion of country. His mother was a host in herself, and her Christian courage proved a support to her children, and was the center of the first religious movement in that locality. An old log school-house, which served several purposes, was the place of a weekly gathering for prayer, the assembly consisting of herself, another old lady, and two men who came long distances with the utmost regularity to sustain the prayer-meeting. Later there were regular religious services at the same place, conducted by a clergyman. The mother of Mr. Hughes was a thorough mistress of Holy Writ, and conducted all her religious movements with ability and fearlessness. Notwithstanding the pioneer conditions and attendant privations, that time is remembered as full of happiness. The two nearest neighbors were John Ankeny, who lived a mile and a half north, and Pearson Shoemaker. The latter is now living at Lanark, Carroll County. He then lived two miles east of the Grove. Mr. Dixon (so often quoted in this work) lived on the site of the city which bears his name, and was the only resident in that vicinity. The first winter Mr. Hughes passed in his cabin alone in the midst of hundreds of Indians, whose revengeful spirits had been wholly subdued by the terrible punishment they had received in the Black Hawk War. They showed the utmost solicitude to be on friendly terms with the solitary youth in the Grove; but he was unable to trust them fully, and spent many nights in terror, lest some skulker might kill him to obtain possession of his flour, pork, sugar and other supplies. He had constant applications to exchange a pint of flour for a venison ham, and once "swapped" pork for deer's meat. The experiment was a success, as the Indians were wholly unaccustomed to the use of salt and wanted no more pork. On one occasion they invited Mr. Hughes to dine at a wigwam, and at the time appointed he went, to find a spread of dried venison on a blanket laid out on the ground. The Indians urged him to eat a "big heap" and also to help himself to honey from a bucket which stood near. Not understanding the etiquette of dining in that fasion, he waited to take observations. The Indian dogs, part canine and part prairie wolf, running about, picking up pieces of meat, and after chewing for a time, dropping them where chance directed settled the question of Mr. Hughes' dining on venison; and when he saw his hots dip their fingers in the honey, and, after licking their digits, wipe them on the dogs, he flatly declined their hospitality. The grief of his would-be-entertainers was deep and genuine. The early settlers were in constant terror of the Indians, but there was not an instance when harm was done to any individual.
Mr. Hughes split 8,000 rails the first winter. He afterward hewed the timber for the two first mills built north of Rock River, for which there was no use when they were completed. The first grist ground was a peck of coffee, in the possession of one of the mill owners, and was the first grist in Jo Daviess County. Mr. Hughes, a littler later, carried the best of wheat flour to Galena, which he sold for a dollar a hundred, and pork at the same rate. He also carried wheat to Chicago, which he sold for 75 cents a bushel. An idea of comparative values may be gained from the fact that 200 pounds of pork were exchanged for a teapot. Expenses were so heavy that in these expeditions the settlers carried their provisions with them and camped under their wagons on the prairie. The utmost harmony prevailed among the new settlers. Sympathy made sorrow lighter and increased the joy of happiness. The fact that flour was twenty miles away and $15 a barrel, increased rather than diminished the general good feeling.
After a few months Mr. Hughes grew desirous to obtain a sight of white faces; and, mounting his pony, he rode to the home of Jesse Hill, the first settler in Genesee Township. He dismounted and called at the door of the log cabin, where three girls, a boy, and a large dog were partaking of a meal of baked potatoes, served on the puncheon floor without dishes. The unaccustomed presence of a stranger sent three of the children to a hiding place beneath the "bunk," only the older girl standing her ground. The bunk was the pioneer bed, the frame of which was made by driving crotched sticks into the ground to support poles, the ends of which were lodged in holes bored in he logs in the cabin walls. The girls were clad in garments made in the most primitive manner, being mere sacks tied about their necks with their arms thrust through holes cut for that purpose. The cloth was also a home-made material. While the startled family recovered their equilibrium, the dog secured his share of the rations. Mr. Hughes made his visit a brief one, as the father was absent. The wife and mother died before the family removed to Whiteside County, and the daughter had received no instruction in domestic affairs, save such as the father could bestow.
Mr. Hughes mother returned to Morgan County on a visit, where she died in the fall of 1858.
He was married March 13, 1844, in Whiteside County to Mary J., daughter of Edward and Susan (Case) Scoville, and they had four children: James S. was born Feb. 1, 1843. He was drowned June 4, 1855, in the mill pond near Jacobs' Mill. He has been dead 30 years; but the pang of the terrible event is still fresh in his parents' hearts. John M. was born Aug. 24, 1846, and is a prosperous and thrifty farmer in Mt. Pleasant Township; Caroline L. was born Feb. 18, 1849, and married James Brown. They live on the homestead with her parents. Mr. Bown is the owner of a farm in Ustick Township. He removed his family to the home of Mr. And Mrs. Hughes on account of the death of the youngest daughter, which is a sharp affliction to her aged father and mother; Oletha was born March 19, 1859, and became the wife of George Johnson. She died June 23, 1882 in Mt. Pleasant Township, in the dawn of womanhood. Her death was marked by the calm and earnest faith of a genuine Christian believer. Mrs. Hughes was born in Batavia, N.Y.
The portraits of Mr. And Mrs. Hughes are given on previous pages and do not require comment. They are engraved from photographs taken in 1885. Their worthy, useful lives have their best commemoration in the esteem of their neighbors, and their permanent record in this book is but their just mead of reward. They are zealous, consistent members of the Methodist Episcopal Church at Morrison. [Portraits & Biographical 1885 Pg 427]
CAPT. JAMES HUGUNIN
Capt. James Hugunin, resident at Albany, was born Dec. 24, 1839, in Butler Co., Ohio. His father, James Hugunin, was born in 1806 in Oswego Co., N. Y., and was taken by his parents, in his early boyhood, to Ohio, where his father secured a claim of land from the United States. The site of the city of Cincinnati now includes the land comprised in the claim. He constructed a residence, which his family occupied a short time, after which it was sold, and they went to Butler County. The father returned to Massachusetts, and died in his native place. James Hugunin (first) grew to manhood in Butler County, and married Sarah Flack, a native of Ohio. They lived in Butler County until 1840, when they removed to this State, and five years later came to Albany. The parents, with five children, came from Ohio overland with their own conveyance. Mr. Hugunin at first selected a location a little east of Albany, and later went to the township of Garden Plain, whence he removed to Clay Co., Kan., and is now resident there. Capt. Hugunin was but six years old when his parents came to Albany. He was but 15 when, in the fall of 1854, he engaged in the capacity of a common hand on the river, and he has spent every successive season in the same service in the several capacities of common hand, pilot and Captain. He is also the owner of forty acres of land, and gives some attention to agriculture. He is interested in good breeds of horses, and owns some fine thoroughbred Almont Rattlers. He was married Aug. 16, 1859, to Sarah Whistler. She was born Feb. 7, 1841, in Morrow Co., Ohio, and is the daughter of John and Elizabeth (Kiehl) Whistler. John E., Clara M., Harry D. and Ida Augusta are the names of their children. [Transcribed by Marji Turner - Whiteside County History 1885 Pg 772]
AMOS A. HULETT
Amos A. Hulett, farmer on section 26, Union Grove Township, was born April 7, 1812, in Chester, Vt. He is the son of Benjamin G. and Lydia (Pollard) Hulett, and his father was also born in Chester, March 31, 1787. The latter died in Union Grove Township, April 10, 1877, a few days after he became 90 years old. The father of B.G. Hulett was born in Rhode Island, Nov. 2, 1751, and died Oct. 1, 1850, lacking one month of being 99 years of age. Lydia Hulett was born April 9, 1795, in Massachusetts, and died April 12, 1879, in Union Grove Township, two years after the decease of her husband and in her 85th year. The parents of Mr. Hulett located after marriage in Chester, whence they came in 1865 to Whiteside County, fixing their residence in the township where they died, as stated. Their children were Amos A., Lucius A., William L., Elias H., Louisa H., John P., Lydia A. and Sarah J. Mr. Hulett was a resident in his native State until he was 23 years of age. He obtained a good education and learned the trade of a carpenter before he reached the age of manhood. He followed that as a business until June, 1853, when he removed with his family, consisting of his wife and three children, to Whiteside County. He located on section 26, where he made a claim of 120 acres of land. To this he has added by later purchase, and now owns 160 acres. The first tract is all under an excellent order of cultivation. Mr. Hulett is a prominent Republican, and is holding the office of Justice of the Peace, to which he has been successively re-elected several terms. He has also been elected School Director, Collector and Assessor.
He was married March.30, 1838, in Preble Co., Ohio, to Sarah W. White, and they have five children: Ansel S., James H., Robert G. and John W. The oldest child is deceased. Mrs. Hulett was born Sept. 6, 1818. in Reading, Vt., and she is the daughter of Robert and Mary (Johnson) White. Her parents were born in New England. In 1856 they came to Whiteside County, where they remained through the last years of their lives. The mother died at Morrison, Sept. 27, 1866. The death of the father took place Aug. 28, 170. He was a soldier in the second war with Great Britain. In the battle at Fort Erie, both his arms were shot away by the same ball, one arm being carried some distance from him before he realized his situation. His children were 13 in number, and all lived to mature age. They were born in the following order: Priscilla, Joseph, Sarah, Mary, Susan, James G., Elizabeth, John W., Lorenzo J., David, Jonathan, Caroline and Thomas. [Contributed by Debbie Thormahlen - Portraits & Biographical Whiteside County IL 1885 Pg. 258]
AARON J. HULL
Of Sterling Township
Aaron J. Hull is a native of the town of Lewisboro, Westchester county, New York, and was born November 13, 1833. He first came west in 1857, and remained about six months on a prospecting tour, and then returned to New York. In 1858 he came back, and located in Sterling, where he opened a wholesale rectifying establishment, and conducted the business for seven years, when he closed out, and entered into the hardware business, on Locust street. He continued in that trade about a year, and commenced the iron foundry business, in connection with Frank T. June, the firm name being Hull & June. The business was afterwards changed, and resulted in the organization of the present School Furniture Company, of which he was President for three years. Mr. Hull patented the first school seats manufactured by the company. On the 1st of January, 1871, he resigned his position as President of the School Furniture Company, and in the following June commenced the manufacture of pumps. One of his patents is a valve to use in any kind of pump for sandy wells. On the 8th of December, 1875, he patented Hull’s Double Surface Washboard, about five hundred of which are manufactured daily by the Sterling Pump Works Company, of which company he has been President from its organization. Mr. Hull has been frequently elected Alderman of the city of Sterling, and is now one of the members of the Board from the Third Ward. Mr. Hull was educated in the common schools of his native State [Bent & Wilson History of Whiteside County]
HARVEY C. HULL
Harvey C. Hull, of the firm of Hull & Smith, dealers in drugs, medicines and fancy toilet articles, paints, oils, glass, etc., at Prophestown, was born in Roxbury, Conn., Jan. 10, 1830. His father, Bradford J. and Catherine C. (Teeple) Hull, his mother, both died in the fall of 1884, in Connecticut. The father was a capenter and farmer, and to him and his wife nine children were born, five of whom are yet living.
Mr. Hull, subject of this biographical notice, learned the trade of his father, that of a carpenter, on attaining adult age, and when nineteen years old he went to Waterbury, Conn., and was there employed at his trade until about 1853. He then came West, and located in Geneseo, this State, where he worked at his trade for a short time. In 1854 he came to this county, locating at Prophetstown, where he continued to work at his trade until 1864. In October of that year he enlisted in Co., C, 75tth Ill. Vol. Inf., and served for seven months as private, during which time he participated in the battle of Nashville. He then returned to Prophetstown, and followed his trade until 1869, when he went to Lyndon, this county, and engaged in buying and shipping grain, and also had a retail lumber and cola yard. In 1870 he sold his business at Lyndon, and returned to Prophetstown. He shipped the first fright carried over the Rock Island and St. Louis railroad, and also over the Clinton and Mendota branch. On returning to Prophetstown, 1870, he formed a partnership with John J. Green, in the lumber, coal, and grain business, and also built the Prophetstown elevator. He afterward sold out his business, and in the fall of 1875 engaged in the furniture trade in partnership with E. C. Hutchinson. Jan. 29, 1884, they were burned out, sustaining a loss of about $3,000. They sold the remnant of their stock in March, 1884. May 1, 1884, in company with P. H. Smith, he erected the building they now occupy, and put in a stock of drugs. He also, in company with his former partner, Mr. Hutchinson, rebuilt the building destroyed by fire, and which is now fire-proof, as likewise is the drug-store. Mr. Hull, in company with his partner, Mr. Smith, carries a stock of from $3,000 to $4,000, and are doing a good and constantly increasing business. Mr. Hull has a farm of 130 acres, which he leases, and also a fine residence, and one acre of land on Washington Street, Prophetstown. Mr. Hull was united in marriage in Waterbury, Conn., Oct. 7, 1850, to Miss Janette L. Scarritt, a daughter of James and Harriett J. Scarritt. She was born in Middletown, Conn., Feb. 18, 1832. They have one son, Charles w., born in Waterbury, Conn., May 18, 1852, and is at present a banker at Kirwin, Phillips Co., Kan., the firm being Cameron, Hull & Co. He was married to Miss Myra Hill, a daughter of Joseph W. Hill, of Prophetstown, and they have two children, Mary and Harvey. Mr. Hull belongs to the Order of Masons, and is a member of the Blue lodge and Royal Arch Chapter. He was President of the Town Board four years, and while acting in that capacity constructed a large portion of the sewer system of the village of Prophetstown, and has held numerous other minor offices. [Transcribed by Marji Turner Whiteside County History 1885 Pg 538-41]
Charles Humaston, a farmer residing on section 34, Prophetstown Township, and the proprietor of 120 acres of land located thereon, is a native of New York, in which State, in the town of Vienna, Oct. 2, 1838, he was born. His father, Ephraim Humaston, was also a native of that State, and was born in the same house as was his son Charles, July 9, 1809; he died on the homestead now owned by Charles Humaston, May 18, 1880. The mother of the subject of this notice, nee Francis Pember, as a native of Connecticut, in which State she was born Feb. 14, 1809. The parents' family comprise nine children, four of whom yet survive: Theodocia C., Charles, Annice and Francis, all farmers and residing in this county. In 1861 Mr. Charles Humaston came West, and located in Cerro Gordo Co., Iowa, where he had procured a farm, comprising 160 acres. He resided there until 1864, when he removed to Aurora, this State, and engaged in farming in that vicinity for one year. In 1865 he made another remove, coming to Prophetstown Township, this county, where he rented land from George P. Richmond, and cultivated the same for a period of four years. He then bought land, 160 acres, on the Rock River bottom, which he cultivated until 1871, when he sold it and bought his present farm of 120 acres, located as stated. He now has a nice farm under a good state of cultivation, with good residence, outbuildings, etc., and in addition to his homestead place, has 160 acres on section 25. Since 1871, he has spent nearly seven years in Colorado, where he is interested to a considerable extent, in mining property. His interest in the estate consists in stock in the Hope, the Cross, and also the Lookout old and silver mines. Socially, he is a member of the Order of Masonry, the I. O. O. F. and the Knights Templars. Mr. Charles Humaston formed a matrimonial alliance in Prophetstown Township, May 9, 1871, with Miss Helen, daughter of Alden and Harriet M. Tuller. She died Oct. 14, 1871, without issue, and Mr. Charles Humaston was again united in marriage Nov. 16, 1880, in Denver, Col., to Sarah Weber, born in Troy, N. Y. One child has been born of the latter union, Fanny A. Humaston, Aug. 31, 1881. [Transcribed by Marji Turner, Whiteside County History 1885 Pg 431]
LEMUEL B. HUNT
Of Newton Twp.
Lemuel L. Hunt is an enterprising and substantial farmer of Newton Twp. and is located on section e, where he bought a claim in 1862. He is now the proprietor of 320 acres in first class agricultural condition, with good buildings, shade and fruit trees.
Mr. Hunt was born Oct. 2, 1823 in Loraine Twp., Jefferson Co NY and is the son of Lemuel and Mary (Brown) Hunt. The former was a Vermonter by birth, and the latter was born in the state of N.Y. The son was educated in the public schools, and at 18 entered upon an apprenticeship in a carriage shop at Watertown. he devoted three years to the acquisition of a complete understanding of the business. Late he went to Springfield Mass. where he was made foreman in a carriage car and machine shop. He went next to Worcester, where he was employed by the Washburn & Moen Mfg. Co. and afterward at Whitingville, building cotton machinery in the interests of Paul Whiting & Sons.
In 1849 he went to California, proceeding by ocean steamer to the mouth of the Rio Grande River in Texas, following the course of the river to Brownsville, in that State. The remainder of the journey was made overland, the entire distance requiring about six months travel. He was engaged three years in mining, and in 1852 came to Illinois. He located near the Meredocia River in Rock Island County, entering a claim of 160 acres of land, and engaging in agricultural pursuits. The remembrance of the land of gold had always made it look pleasant to him as a place for a home, and in 1860 he went there again, making the journey via New York and the Isthmus of Panama. He visited California and Oregon, prospecting at various points for a satisfactory l ocation, without accomplishing the desired results. After nearly two years of vain effort to locate a home, he returne dto Illinois and bought a tract of unimproved land, where he has since operated, and whereon he made the usual preparations for taking possession. He built a small frame house and entered vigorously on the work of improving his property. He has coubled his acreage, built a good class of frame structures, and has increased the beauty and value of the place by setting out numerous fruit, shade and ornamental trees. Mr. Hunt has been a Republican from the organization of the party, and was at the convention which nominated Abraham Lincoln. He is tolerant and liberal in his religious views. He was married in 1852 to Caroline A. Gilman, a native of Jefferson Co N.Y. They have had nine children, but seven of whom survive - John M., Chester L., Mary P., Homer, Frederick S., Levi E. and Hattie L. [Portrait and Biographical Whiteside Co IL 1885 Pg 599]
Russell Hunt has been a farmer on section 12, Albany Township, since 1867. He was born June 7, 825, in Kanawha C., W. Va., and is the son of Whiting B. and Sarah (Moss) Hunt. His parents were natives respectively of Connecticut and Massachusetts, and they settled in West Virginia aft4er their marriage. The senior Hunt died in 1828, leaving his wife with seven children. She went with her family to Franklin Co., Ohio, and after a brief residence there went to Scioto County in the same State. After several removals in Ohio, they went to Indiana, and remained until 1844, when they came to Rock Island Co., Ill. Four years later they went to Clinton Co., Iowa. There the mother made her home until 1867, when she came to Albany to live with her son. She died in 1874. Mr. Hunt was three years old when his father died, and after that went to live principally with an older sister in Kentucky and in Cincinnati. In the spring of 1844 he came to Illinois, making the journey on the Ohio and Mississippi Rivers. He reached Rock Island April 16, and went at once to Davenport, Iowa, and resided with a sister there until 1846, when he went to Clinton County, in the same State, and entered Government land in the township of Comanche, on which he built a frame house of hard wood. He operated to a considerable extent in land traffic, buying claims of the United States, which he improved and sold at an advance. In 1867 he crossed the Mississippi River, o, and bought a farm on section 12, in Albany Township, of which he has since been the occupant. Mr. Hunt is a Republican in political principle. He cast his first vote for the State Constitution of Iowa. He was married in December, 1848, to Anna Mathews. She was born March 24, 1833, in Wayne Co., Ohio, and is the daughter of john and Sarah (Butler) Mathews. Her father was a native of England, and her mother was born in Ohio. In 1839 the family settled in Clinton Co., Iowa, and were among the pioneer settlers there. Her father died in Clinton County, in October, 1877. Alfred W., Eva L., Sarah L., Olive M. and Ida are the names of the children of Mr. and Mrs. Hunt. The parents are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church at Albany. [Transcribed by Marji Turner, Whiteside County History 1885 Pg 582]
John Huntington, a farmer on section 31, Portland Township, is a son of Nathan B. and Matilda (Whiting) Huntington, and was born in Westford, Conn., Oct. 6, 1834. His father was a farmer, teacher, merchant, etc., and is now a resident of Geneseo, Ill. His mother was a native of Connecticut, and died when Mr. H. of this sketch was but seven y ears old, in Tazewell Co., Ill. They had three children, all of whom are living, John being the eldest; Maria is the wife of Cornelius Van Vetchen, a farmer in the State of New York, in Elb ridge, Onodaga County; and Andrew, a farmer in Champaign Co., Ill. In 1838 the family settled near Groveland, Taxzewell Co., Ill., where the father bought a farm. They came to Geneseo, Henry County, in 1852, and in 1856 Mr. H. went upon his father’s farm in Phenix Township, that county, purchasing 60 acres of the same. Subsequently he exchanged his interests there for his present farm of 103 acres in 1859. On this he made a number of improvements, and is succeeding well as a general farmer. Mr. Huntington was married at Spring Hill, this county, May 17, 1857, to Miss Harriet E. Schmied, daughter of Jacob and Rachel Schmied. She was born in Norritown, Montgomery Co., Pa., Aug. 21, 1826. Mr. and Mrs. H. have seven children, one born in Phenix Township and six at the present residence, viz.: Rachel M., Oct. 22, 1858, now the wife of David Uric, a farmer in this township; Emma M., born March 22, 1860, now teaching school; Charlotte E., born Jan. 25, 1862; Estella R, Dec. 7, 1867; Daisy B., Feb. 25, 1879. Mr. Schmied located here July 3, 1844, entering a large tract of land in Portland Township. He died on his farm April 1, 1858. His widow resides in Geneseo, Ill. [Portrait and Biographical Album of Whiteside County, Illinois, Chapman Brothers Publishing Co., Chicago, 1885. Pg 378]
OF Portland Township
Smith Hurd was born in Bennington Vermont, in 1786, and came to Portland in 1839. He married Miss Fanny Booth in 1806. Their children have been: Horace H., who married Miss Lydia Winters; he was a good mechanic, and invented the grater cider-mill; he came to Portland in 1837, and settled near Spring Hill; his children were, Adliza, wife of William Booth, now living in Prophetstown, and Henry, who married Miss Metta Smith, and is now a resident of Nebraska. Reuben, who first married Miss Clarissa Carr, and, after her death, Miss Polly Ann Sprague; he is the inventor of Hurd’s hog-tamer, and wagon and car brake, etc. Harriet B., who married Henry R. Stone, and is now dead; Moses, who married Miss Mary A. McClaughry, and lives in Oregon; Mary A., who married Sydney Martin, and is now dead; Jane E. wife of Rev. Mr. Buck, living in Oregon; and Hester C., wife of William P. Tabor, living in Portland [Extracted from Bent & Wilson History of Whiteside County Page 357]
NATHAN M. HURLBERT
Nathan M. Hurlbert, deceased, formerly a farmer of Lyndon Township, located on section 3, was born Aug. 17, 1823 in the town of Glover, Orleans Co VT. His parents, Reuel and Prudence (Norton) Hurlbert, were farmers in the Green Mountain State, where their children were reared and educated in the common schools.
July 9, 1850, Mr. Hurlbert was married to Rosanna G. Gibson, and they remained in Vermont six years. In 1856 they came to Whiteside County, and Mr. Hurlbert bought land in Lyndon Township, where he settled and engaged in the labor of cultivating his farm. His wife died May 12, 1858. Mr. Hurlbert was again married Nov. 3, 1859, to Jane E. Pratt. She was born Nov. 17, 1835 in Milton, Chittenden Co., VT. Mr. Hurlbert died Jan. 26, 1881. He had lived a life of usefulness and success. Frank N., his oldest son, lives in Nebraska; George W. is a resident of Dakota; and Fred J. lives in Lyndon. The second marriage resulted in six children. Lyman died in infancy. Etta was born April 26, 1865 and died April 22, 1885. Norton is the oldest. Warner, Ernest and Eddie are the youngest. Mr. Hurlbert was the father of eight sons and one daughter. [Whiteside County History 1885 Portraits and Biographical]
REV. CEPHAS HURLESS
Of Genesee Township
Rev. Cephas Hurless, deceased, formerly a farmer of Genesee Township, was born in 1828 in Holmes Co. Ohio. He was reared to man's estate in his native county, receiving a practical education in the public schools. He was married in Holmes County, April 13, 1848, to Elizabeth, daughter of Martin and Barbria Overholser. She was born April 2, 1830. Six years after the event of their marriage, Mr. and Mrs. Hurless removed to Illinois and bought an unbroken tract of prairie near Coleta, and while there resident Mrs. Hurless died, the date of her decease being Feb. 20, 1862. Two children, Adaline and an infant unnamed, died before the mother. Four children, three daughters and a son, survive her still. They were born in the following order; Sarah A., Susanna, Rebecca J., and George P. They are all married. Mr. Hurless was a second time united in marriage to Tabitha A. Winters, Oct. 2, 1862 in Carroll Co. IL. She was born Nov. 28, 1836 in Bedford, Washington Co. Ind., and is the daughter of James and Susan (Gyger) Winters, of whom a biographical sketch is presented in this volume. She was 11 years of age when her parents removed to Wysox, Carroll Co., Ill. To Mr. and Mrs. Hurless eight children were born, four of them dying in infancy; James M was born August 15, 1865; William J., Feb. 17, 1868; Bell, Nov. 18, 1869; S. Leroy, March 24, 1875. The estate upon which the family settled near Coleta contained upwards of 350 acres of land, and it was wholly unimproved. The proprietor took measures to proceed as rapidly as possible with the work of reclaiming its acres and had accomplished considerable, when the duties of public life necessitated his removal to Coleta, where he fixed his residence in 1875. He died Nov. 14, 1884 and was serving as Supervisor at the time of his decease.
Mr. Hurless was a man of superior ability, which was recognized and made available from the beginning of his citizenship in Genesee Township. He served several terms in the positions of Supervisor, Assessor and Justice of the Peace. He had officiated as Pastor of a charge in WIll and carroll Counties and afterwards filled vacancies when occassion required. His death was considered a public loss and in an obituary notice which appeared in a local paper, his character was most justly and appropriately set forth; " As a neighbor he was accommodiating; as a citizen, upright; as a husband, loving; as a father, kind almost to a fault; as a Christian, exemplary; as an officer, true and honest; and as a man he was worthy of the confidence of his fellow-man." His loss is keenly felt by the citizens of Genesee, who had learned to love him for his Christian worth and noble work. In political principle he was a Democrat, and had been a candidate for minority Representative. [Whiteside County Portraits & Biographical Pg 505]
Of Prophetstown Township
Elias Hutchinson was born in Bucks county, Pennsylvania, in 1816, and came first to Illinois in 1837, settling at Alton, where he remained until 1839, when he came to Prophetstown. During the earlier years of his residence in Prophetstown he worked at his trade of carpenter and cabinetmaker to which he had been brought up in his native State, and afterwards became a farmer, He is now engaged in the furniture trade in the village. Mr. Hutchinson married Miss Mary Crary, in 1839. Their children have been: Augusta and Frederick, living in Prophetstown, and three who died in infancy. [Bent & Wilson History of Whiteside County]
Christian Hutten is a farmer, pursuing his noble calling on section 6, Hahnaman Township. His parents, John and Katherina (Asser) Hutten, natives of Prussia, came to America in 1863, settling in Jordan Township, this county, where they resided until their death. He was born in Prussia, July 16, 1827, the second in a family of eight, and was about 25 yeas of age when he came to this country. He located in this county in 1858, purchasing 240 acres of land in Hahnaman Township in 1863, where he finally settled and has since made his home. He has 200 acres of land in good cultivation, and his entire tract constitutes a valuable farm. Mr. Hutten was married in Freeport, Ill., May 25, 1863, to Anna Tieman, a native of Ireland. Mr. and Mrs. H. are the parents of three children, -- William J., Mathias J. and one who died when an infant. Mr. H. has been School Director 15 years and Constable three years; in his political principles he is a Democrat, and both himself and Mrs. H. are members of the Catholic Church. [Transcribed by Marji Turner, Whiteside County History 1885 Pg 436]
BACK -- HOME
© Copyright Genealogy Trails