Horace Mack was born October 17, 1809, at Lyme, Conn. When an infant was removed to Pennsylvania and grew to manhood in Susquehanna county, in that State. He was married February 26, 1835 to Mary Miles. In 1839, with his wife and eldest children, he removed to the west and arrived at his claim, near the Big Mound , northwest of Sugar Grove in August. After residing there about one year he changed his residence and lived in a cabin one or two years near where Dr. L. S. Pennington now resides. After the lands came into market, Mr. Mack entered land upon the Elkhorn, at a point called “Mack’s Ford," with the view of erecting a mill. In connection with his brother-in-law. the building of a dam was commenced but abandoned, as the business of the county was not great enough to warrant the completion of the enterprise. He built a house and made other improvements upon his property which he disposed of in 1847, and with his family removed to Sterling where he pursued his trade as carpenter until his death which was caused by a disease locally know as "billious pneumonia" which prevailed at that time in epedemic form. Mr. Mack was an upright man and enjoyed the esteem and confidence of all who knew him. Mrs. Mack married Hezekiah Windom, May 15. 1860. Mr. W. died in 1864. His widow remained in Sterling until 1874, since which time she has resided in Wisconsin with her children, Charles and Mary. Mr Mack was the father of Theodore H. Mack born October 5, 1836; Chas. M. Mack born January 29 1839; Arthur L. Mack born August 17,1841, and Mary F. Mack born October 22, 1848. Arthur died January 27, 1851. Mary E. married O. A. Bryant, of Wisconsin where she now resides. [Pg 260 Bent-Wilson 1877]
THEODORE H. MACK
Of Sterling Township
Theodore H. Mack has grown up with the county, having when a mere boy come to this county with his father Horace Mack in 1839. He was married to Harriet M. Emmons December 8, 1859. Their children have been : Myra, Charles T., Harriet and Elizabeth. Elizabeth died February 3, 1869.
Mr. Mack spent several years in school at Brooklyn, Pa., and later acquired the trade of a cabinet maker at Montrose in that State. In 1855 he returned to Sterling and was engaged in the furniture business and working at his trade. In August, 1862, he threw his down his tools and enlisted as a private soldier in Company D, 75th Illinois Regiment. He remained with his regiment about one year when he was discharged for physical disability. In the spring of 1868, he, in connection with his brother, C. M. Mack, started a newspaper in Sterling and named it The Whiteside Chronicle. He afterwards purchased his brother’s interest, and in 1870 The name of the paper was changed to the Standard. The leading feature of the Standard is its advocacy of temperance and no licensing of saloons.
Chas. M. Mack, brother of Theo. H. Mack, also came to Whiteside with his father’s family in 1839, and was married to Etta Coleman of Chippewa Falls, Wisconsin, in 1867. Their children are: Persis Mary, Ada Stella, Mabel and Maud—twins, and Annie Etta. Mr Mack was a soldier during the war in Cornpany B, 13th Illinois Regiment, and was severely wounded at Chickasaw Bayou. He learned the pinters trade with Wm. Caffrey of the Sterling Republican, and has been in the business constantly except during his term of service in the army. He is now a resident of Wisconsin. [For the History of Whiteside Co. Bent-Wilson]
Duncan Mackay, member of the private banking house of Smith & Mackay at Morrison, is one of the leading financiers of Northwestern Illinois. He is President of the First National Bank at Mt. Carroll IL and is a stockholder in a bank at Savanna, Carroll County. Mr. Mackay was born in 1812, in Sutherlandshire, Scotland, and is the son of James and Ann (McDonald) Mackay. His ancestors for five successive generations were tenants on the Sutherland estates, and were well-to-do, substantial husbandmen, acquiring property and characterized by the traits of prudence and caution which, it is generally accorded, belong essentially to the Scotch people. They were in all generations stalwart and robust; and, as a rule, tenacious of life.In 1831 the parents fulfilled a long cherished plan to bring their family to the New World, to secure for their sons the broader privileges of a land less crowded with squalid humanity and free from the evils that utterly precluded advancement of any other than the privileged classes. Their claims were sold, and the parents with four children came to Nova Scotia, leaving William, Jane and Duncan to close and settle all business matters. In 1843 the parents came from Nova Scotia to Oakville, where they passed the remaining years of their lives.
Mr. Mackay was educated in Scotland. His father established a private school for his younger children adjacent to his dwelling, where instruction of a substantial character was meted out to the quick, bright understandings of the sturdy young Highlanders, who, on becoming sufficiently advanced, were sent to the parochial school on the Sutherland estates, where the curriculum of study was of the thorough, comprehensive character of the schools of the Continent, in which students were prepared to enter the universities, including classical and modern languages and the higher English branches. Mr. Mackay made good use of his time in the institution which involved four miles of travel daily. He was 21 years of age when, in 1833, he came with his brother and sister to rejoin his father's family in Nova Scotia. He had acquired a thoroughly practical knowledge of carriage-making in his native land, but the locality of Nova Scotia where his parents settled was in its primitive state, and there was no demand for the class of work with which he was acquainted. He and his brother William were occupied two years in the province as mechanics; and in 1835 went to Washington Co., Maine, and established themselves in the business of carriage-making.
They operated with success five years, then came to Carroll Co IL investing their money in land, including seven squatter claims, in township 24, range 5, now Salem. The claims included several thousand acres, and when the land came into market the brothers Mackay secured their title to as much as possible, the remainder lapsing to other purchasers. They at once entered with characteristic energy into the work of improvement, and placed a large proportion under tillage, which they stocked. When farm machinery came into vogue Mr. Duncan Mackay operated extensively in its general sale, and continued his operations as a farmer, stock-grower and general agent for agricultural implements for more than a half score of years.
When the Hydraulic Manufacturing Company of Mt. Carroll started, Mr. Mackay took stock in it; but two well known, prominent citizens of Mt. Carroll had the controlling interest, and their management did not suit him. As they had the m majority of the stock, he could only reason with them against such measures as he thought imprudent, or was contrary to his principles, -- such as adding a banking house to their legitimate business, and allowing ten per cent, on deposits, and manufacturing high wines. The latter he opposed on principle, having long ago determined to have nothing to do with alcohol in any form, except as an enemy; but, notwithstanding his protests, these, with other ill-advised measures, were adopted; and seeing that neither his advice nor his feelings were regarded, he tried to dispose of his stock; but ere he succeeded in this, one of the heaviest stockholders called to inform him the company was hopelessly insolvent and as a friend he would advise him to dispose of his property in such a manner that his wife would get it back. He explained the plan they both adopted, regretting the necessity of the act, but duty to their families overcame all scruples, etc. Mr. Mackay anticipated a failure in a few years, but did not dream of its coming so suddenly; and as the year (1857) was the worst he ever experienced for business, the news fell on him like a thunderbolt, knowing that property would not bring a tithe of its value. He had considerable property, but no money; nor could any be borrowed; but his manhood spurned the thought of following the friendly advice, and he told him that he could not bring his mind to do so without being degraded in his own judgment, but would prefer to dispose of the company's property for the benefit of the creditors, and pay the balance out of the private property of the stockholders. But the other party would not agree to this, and Mr. Mackay, after examining the assignment, pointed out to them how he could break it up, should they refuse. They laughed at this, knowing the eminent legal talent employed in getting up the papers. For weeks he pleaded with them, but in vain. The creditors, learning that they could collect the company's debt of Mr. Mackay, too measures to do so. This was the darkest hour in his life. "Hungry Ruin had him in the wind!' With a sad heart he started to Chicago and employed the best legal talent he could. After the first process was served, his partners, after a long consultation with their lawyers, agreed in substance with Mr. Mackay's proposition, and the suit was dropped.
In 1863, Mr. Mackay, associated with H.A. Mills, James Mark, John Kridler, Daniel Hurley and George Miller, established the First National Bank at Mt. Carroll, of which he is the chief official. He was its first Vice-President and came to his present position on the death of the President, Mr. Mark. At the end of the first year, Mr. Mark attempted to cross Carroll Creek in the night-time during a freshet, and lost his life. Mr. Mackay continued a resident of Carroll County until 1882. March 23 of that year, his family celebrated the birth of a daughter some miles away, and the head of the family remained at home to "take care of things." The arrival of visitors necessitated the preparation of dinner, and after that event, while Mr. Mackay was displaying European curiosities he had obtained during a visit to the continent, a neighbor appeared with the intelligence that the upper part of the house was in flames. No help could be obtained, and the structure, with its valuable contents, some of which could never be replaced, were destroyed. Only a favorite piano was saved. Mr. Mackay removed to Morrison, where he is a prominent and useful citizen. His marriage to Jessie Mackay took place June 9, 1840 in New Glasgow, N.S. and they have had 12 children, born in the following order: Anna, who is the wife of Robert Moore, a farmer in Carroll County. They have three sons and four daughters - Robert, Charles, Duncan, Jennie, Nettie, Alice and Henrietta. Jennie, eldest child, is married. Donald J., who became a soldier in the Union army and lost his life while in the military service of the US. Barbara, married Alexander Gilmore of Beth Scotland. Jennie, who is the wife of Dr. Andrew VanPatten of Mt. Carroll. Lena, married Robert L. Jack, a farmer in Fair haven, Carroll County. Catherine, the wife of George D. Ford, who owns a large cattle ranch in New Mexico. Helen is the wife of Wright Hawse, a farmer in Carroll County. Charles is deceased. Henrietta is the next in order of birth. Nettie married F.L. Sharpe, a lumber dealer at Jacksonville IL Duncan manages the old homestead. Ada L. was married June 9, 1885 on the anniversary of the wedding day of her father and mother 45 years before, and resides with her husband, Dr. J.L. Gray at David City NE. Mrs. Mackay was born in 1821 in Scotland, and is the daughter of Donald and Barbara Mackay.
In the adjustment of earthly affairs which time accomplishes in every man's history, the name of Mr. Mackay will appear in a connection which will illustrate his respect for education, and his sense of obligation to aid in its dissemination. In 1884 he became interested in a scheme devised and put in practical operation by John A. McAfee some years ago. Mr. McAfee was President of a college in Kansas when 17 young men applied for the advantages of the institution, to be paid for after completing the course of study. The college faculty refused to consider the proposition, and Mr. McAfee determined to test the faith which had produced such results in England under the leadership of George Mueller. He resigned his presidency in order to devise some means of helping the applicants to accomplish their desires. Col. Park, of Parkville MO tendered an old tannery of which he was the proprietor, and the 17 young men cleansed the building and put it in order for occupation. Mr. McAfee devoted all his means to the furtherance of the project and established the curriculum of study, supporting and educating the students. Col. Park made a further contribution of ten acres of land, which they students tilled, and the scheme began to take tangible, systematic shape. The "Park College Record" was established, which advertised the plan, and reinforcements of students and supplies began to pour in. The old tannery was burned, and Col. Park and others contributed to the erection of another building for temporary use, Mr. Copley, the Philadelphia philanthropist, sending money, and the new building was named "Copley H all," As the scheme became known, ladies applied, and the applicants became too numerous for the accommodations. Chance brought the project to the knowledge of Mr. Mackay, and from the first enlisted his sympathetic interest and engaged his substantial support. A conference with Mr. McAfee resulted in his placing $25,000 at the disposal of the trustees for the erection of suitable buildings, which are in process of erection. The entire work of construction is done by the students, who each labor daily from three to four hours. The domestic and all necessary work is accomplished by the ladies and gentlemen connected with the institution. The central idea is to secure family education, the interests being made common through the general contribution of effort to one grand purpose. There are over 300 students in attendance. They are taken on six months' trial, and most of them prove their capacity and willingness to work as well as study, and be religiously disposed, though creed is not a desideratum. The increased numbers have necessitated their arrangement into two families, each with its managing head. The sons of Mr. McAfee, who is past the meridian of life, give every promise of capacity and fitness to succeed their father in his work. The college is located 14 miles from Kansas City, MO and on the completion of the new building will be named "Mackay College." [History of Whiteside County Portraits and Biographical]
John Maheny is a native of Queens county, Ireland, and was born February 15, 1803. At the age of twenty-eight he came to the United States, and soon after went to Canada where he remained three years, and then returning to the States, working in New Hampshire, and Vermont until the fall of 1840 when he came to Whiteside county, and settled upon his present farm in Ustick. Mr. MAHENY was married to Martha LOTHERS in Londonderry, Ireland, on the 15th of October 1836. Their children were Margaret, Mary, James,John, Thomas, Sarah, Joseph, Anna, William and Martha, all of whom are living except Joseph, who died in infancy. Two are residing in Iowa, two in Colorado and the rest in Whiteside county. Mr MAHENY'S first wife died in February 1864 and in January 1867 he married his present wife, then Mrs. Ann GARDNER. He has been a farmer all his life. [Bent & Wilson History 1877 Pg 470]
JAMES EDWARD MAHER
One of the enterprising merchants of Platte Center is James Edward Maher, who owns and conducts a harness shop. He has led a busy and useful life since putting aside his textbooks and making his initial step in the business world. He is one of Platte county's native sons, his birth having occurred in Lost Creek township, January 26, 1874, his parents being John and Catherine (Butler) Maher. The father was a native of Ireland and when a youth of sixteen left Dublin and sailed for the new world, making his way to Keene, New Hampshire, where he worked in a tannery. He afterward became a resident of Lowell, Massachusetts, where he was living at the time of his marriage. In 1871 he removed westward to Nebraska and took up a homestead of eighty acres in Lost Creek township, Platte county, thereafter devoting his time and energies to general agricultural pursuits. He died in October, 1904, while his wife survived for less than a year, passing away in September, 1905. In their family were eight children, of whom seven are still living. James Edward Maher, who is the second oldest, is indebted to the common-school system of the county for the educational privileges which he enjoyed. During vacation periods and after his school days were over he worked upon the home farm until he reached the age of twenty years, when his father sold that place and removed to Platte Center, after which James E. Maher engaged in farming with his brother for several years, while for five years he worked in or near Platte Center. In 1906 he purchased the harness shop of D. P. Mahoney and has since conducted the business. He carries a large line of well-made harness and the thorough reliability of his business methods and his earnest efforts to please his customers have brought him a substantial trade, his business being now a large and desirable one. On the 10th of November, 1908, at Platte Center, Mr. Maher was united in marriage to Miss Mary Alice Weddell, a daughter of S. A. Weddell, who was formerly a resident of Whiteside county, Illinois, and removed with his family to Nebraska when his daughter Mary was a maiden of fifteen summers. Mr. and Mrs. Maher have become parents of two children, Norbert and Roberta.
In his political views Mr. Maher is a democrat and has filled the office of city and township assessor for sixteen consecutive years, his public service being marked by the utmost fidelity to duty. He belongs to the Highlanders Lodge of Platte Center and to the Catholic Order of Foresters, while his religious faith is indicated by his membership in the St. Joseph Catholic church. He is a progressive man, constantly seeking to make advancement along all those lines which affect tile general interests of society and promote individual welfare. He is social and genial by nature and is therefore well liked. [Past and Present of Platte County Nebraska, vol. 2, Chicago: The S.J. Clarke Publishing Company; 1915, pgs 193-194]
AUGUSTUS N. MALLORY
Augustus N. Mallory, of the firm of Cavert & Mallory, proprietors of the Sterling Iron Works, residence on Spruce Street, was born June 7, 1846, in Canada, his parents being L. D. and Malinda (Plumb) Mallory natives also of the Dominion, who came to Sterling in 1859. Mr. Mallory received a common-school education; from 1863 to 1875 he followed the printing business, and since then has been a machinist. In 1865 he enlisted in the war for the Union, in Co. A, 34th Regt Ill. Vol. Inf., and was engaged in the battle of Raleigh, N. C. At the close of his four months' service he was honorably discharged. In his political views he is a Republican; and he is a member of the Masonic fraternity and of the Grand Army of the Republic. He was married Nov. 4, 1873, to Miss Josephine Adams, a native of Illinois, and they have one daughter, named Bertha. [Portraits & Biographical Pg 223]
G.H. MAMMEN M.D.
Engaged in a lucrative medical practice at Le Mars (Iowa) is Dr. Mammen, a young man whose early life was passed on th3 farm. His father was born in Germany, in 1810, of plain, honest and poor parents. He received no school advantages worthy of mention, and in 1840 when he had saved enough from his wages on the farm to procure a ticket, came to the United States, landing in New York without money and without friends. After a discouraging search for work, his persistency was rewarded, and for a month he worked as gardener, then came west, locating at Sterling, IL., where he found employment on a farm. Through the practice of rigid economy he was enabled later to purchase a small tract of land, upon which he built a home. He was married in 1869 to Miss Johanna Margaret Gesieno Landheer, a young lady who had emigrated from Germany the year before. She died June 10, 1881. The ancestors of both branches of the family were Germans and tradesmen.
Dr. Mammen was born on a farm in Hopkins township, Whiteside county, IL March 14, 1872, and is therefore 27 years of age, but notwithstanding his youthfulness he is a professional man of reputation and large practice. When 4 years old he entered the district school, and at 12 removed with his parents to Le Mars, where the process of education was materially retarded by the labor that was required on the farm. In 1880, however, he had the privilege of attending the German Lutheran school, and so well was the opportunity improved that he finished the following year. Returning to farm work for the purpose of earning money with which to continue his schooling, he was soon enabled to enter the La Mars Normal school and business college, where he remained one winter. He attended that institution as regularly as his means would permit until 1891, when ho graduated. He commenced the study of medicine in 1891 in the office of Dr Richey, and in the fall of that year entered the Iowa Stat university, where he remained one term, then matriculated in Rush Medical college of Chicago, from which he graduated May 23, 1894. He at once returned to his home in Le Mars and in practice with most gratifying success from the start, and is now regarded as among the leading practitioners of that city. He was chosen county physician in 1894, and in 1895 was elected coroner. These offices were given him by republican votes, he being an earnest supporter of that political faith. He is a member of the American Medical association. theSioux Valley Medical association and the Missouri Valley Medical society, the A. O. U. W. / I. O. O. F. and Knights of Pythias. He is medical examiner for the Equitable Life Assurance Society of the United States, American Union of New York, Mutual Reserve Fund Life of New York, Northwestern Life Assurance company of Chicago, Masons and Odd Fellows, Union Aid association and the orders of A.O. U. W., / I. O. O. F. / I. W. of A. and Sons of Herman. June 11, 1896 he was married to Miss Emma Louise Ahrensfold, of Chicago, IL. [The Biographical Record of Clinton County, Iowa ... By S.J. Clarke Publishing Company]
Michael Mannion, farmer on section 4, Sterling Township, was born in September, 1830 in Ireland. His father, Edward Mannion, was born in Ireland and died there. Mr. Mannion is one of seven children born to his parents, and they were named Patric, Michael, Margaret, Bridget, John, Mary and Catherine. Catherine Mannion, their mother, came to America in 1858. Mr. Mannion lived seven years in New Hampshire coming to Whiteside County in 1862. He obtained employment at Como, working by the month two years. In 1864 he bought 40 acres of land in the township of Sterling, where he established his homestead. He has pursued his farming with success, and bought additional land, until he is the owner of 112 acres under excellent tillage. He is a Democrat of liberal views. Mr. Mannion was united in marriage Feb. 12, 1859 in New Hampshire, to Catherine Mitchell and they have five children - Mary A., Margart, Bernard, Catherine and Michael. Mrs. Mannion died April 30, 1878. The family belong to the Catholic Church. [Contributed by Christine Walters; Whiteside County History, 1880]
Henry Marcy, deceased, formerly a farmer residing on section 15, Erie Township, and owning 160 acres of land thereon, was a son of Edward and Olive (Eldridge) Marcy, and was born in Mansfield, Windham Co., Conn., Dec. 27, 1817. He was reared on a farm, and received the advantages afforded by the common school, and developed into manhood. Soon after attaining the age of majority he went South, and was engaged as Superintendent of a cotton mill for some 15 years. Leaving the South, Mr. Marcy came to Lockport, Will County, this State, where he was united in marriage to Miss Lucy Spicer, June 22 1852. She is a daughter of George and Abigail (Scudder) Spicer, and was born in Dundee, N. Y., Oct. 28, 1833. The issue of their union was 11 children, seven of whom survived. The living are: Eva J., wife of Jesse Harriott, a farmer residing in Sherman Co., Neb., born Aug. 22, 1853, in Will County, this State; Ellen, born March 14, 1857,is the wife of Fillmore Sly, a farmer by occupation, residing in Will County ; William L., born April 23, 1859, is a farmer residing inSherman Co., Neb.; Charles H., born May 27, 1861, is at present attending college at Fulton, this State; Reuben S., born Aug. 14, 1864; Edward, Sept. 16, 1868; Hattie A., Jan. 31, 1869.
The family came to this county in 1853, and located in Erie Township, where the father purchased a farm of 160 acres of prairie land and 15 acres of timber. They subsequently lost 80 acres of their original purchase, but later purchased another 80, so that Mrs. Marcy is now the possessor of 160 acres. Mr. Marcy was a member of the Order of Masonry, which order he joined in Joliet about 1845. He died on the old homestead, Oct. 24, 1884. [Portraits & Biographical, Pg 223]
DISBERRY J. MARKEE
Disberry J. Markee, of Newton Township, was born in September, 1834, in Harrison Co., Ohio James Markee, his father, was of Scotch descent and married Rhoda Johnson. They went with their family from Ohio to Southern Illinois, in 1846. The father bought a farm in Crawford County, and there the parents remained until the close of their lives. At the age of 16 Mr. Markee came to Whiteside County, joining his brother in-law. He obtained his first employment in Newton Township. In 1861 he first became an independent landholder, and bought So acres of land on section 12, in Newton Township. It was wholly unimproved and Mr. Markee passed nine years placing it in good condition for prosperous tillage. At the end of that time he sold the property and bought a tract of land on the east half of the southeast quarter of section 2, in the same township. Only the prairie had been broken; no trees had been planted or buildings of advanced style erected. All these needs have been supplied, together with excellent barns and stables for the protection of stock. Mr. Markee has been a Republican since he first obtained the privileges of citizenship. He cast his first Presidential vote for Fremont. He was married in 1857 to Mary A., daughter of William G. and Leannah (Martin) Nevilt, of whom an extended sketch appears in this work. Mrs. Markee was born in Newton Township, Sept. 5, 1840. Five children of Mr. and Mrs. Markee are living,- C. Alice, Lizzie T, William Leslie, Clifton L. and May. Jessie A., fourth child in order of birth, was born Jan. 23, 1867, and died Aug. 11, 1868. [Portraits & Biographical Pg 223]
AARON HENRY MARTIN
Aaron Henry Martin, druggist at Morrison, was born at Fitch's Point, Washington Co. NY, July 25, 1838. Joseph Martin, his father, is and has been all his life a farmer, and is still engaged in agricultural pursuits on the homestead where his son was born. The former was born in April 1796, and married Lucy Palen, a native of Essex Co., NY. Their seven children are Mary E., Aaron H., Lambert A., William R., Martha L., Josephus, John D.
Mr. Martin was reared to man's estate on the farm where he was born. He had a predilection for the medical profession, and at 20 years of age he came West and entered the office of Dr. Lucius Clark, of Rockford, as a student. He read diligently about 18 months, when he yielded to the pressure brought to bear on the young men of that generation, and determined to enter the Army of the United States. He enlisted at Rockford in 1861 in Co K 74th Reg. IL Vol. Inf., Colonel Marsh, commanding. He enrolled for three years and his regiment was assigned to the Army of the Cumberland in the Division of Gen. Jeff c. Davis. Mr. Martin served as a private about 14 months, and encountered the chances of war in the battles of Perryville and Stone River. In 1862 he was placed in charge of the medical dispensary connected with the hospital at Nashville TN which position he occupied until the expiration of his period of enlistment. He received honorable discharge June 30, 1865, at the close of the war, and returned to Rockford. The position he had filled in the dispensary at Nashville, had awakened in him a predilection for the drug business, and he obtained a situation in the drug-store of Potter & Harding of Rockford, in whose interests he operated two years, meanwhile gaining a comprehensive an practical knowledge of the trade.
He came to Morrison in the fall of 1867 and associated with William Clendenin, purchased the drug business and stock of S.T. Harding. They conducted their business operations on the same site 12 successive years. During that time the expanding character of their relations required more commodious quarters, and they erected the brick building which has since been devoted to the prosecution of the same trade. In 1875 a branch store was established at Moline, with Mr. Clendenin as personal manager. The firm dissolved its relations in January 1881, Mr. Martin retaining the Morrison branch. He has since transacted a successful and popular business, and is one of the most extensive dealers in the avenue of trade in which he is operating in Whiteside County. Mr. Martin is one of the leading citizens of Morrison, in point of reliability, probity and uprightness and enjoys the general esteem. He belongs to the Presbyterian Church and has officiated as Superintendent of the Sunday School. He is a member of Post Alpheus Clark, G.A.R. and th A.O.U.W. In 1880 and 1881 he served as City Treasurer.
He was united in marriage to Sarah E. Lewis, Jan. 26, 1869. Following is the record of their children: Mattie J. born March 15, 1870; Lottie A. July 9, 1871 (died Sept. 2, 1871); Edith B. Jan. 7, 1878; Henry Dwelle, July 15, 1881 (died 15 Jan 1884). Mrs. Martin was born Aug. 27, 1849 in Knox Co., Ohio and is the daughter of NY and Martha J. Lewis. [Portraits & Biographical Whiteside County IL 1885]
J. M. MARTIN
J.M. Martin, merchant at Sterling, was born in Franklin Co., PA, Nov. 13, 1841. His father, Joseph R. Martin, died January 1877; and his mother, whose maiden name was Martha Meshy is still living. Both his parents were natives of the Keystone State, and had seven sons and four daughters. At the age of seven years, the subject of this notice left home and lived until 15 years old with Michael Ebersole, a farmer. He continued in agricultural pursuits until the summer of 1862, when he enlisted for the Government in the 126th Reg. PA Vol Inf Co A. He went from Chambersburg to Harrisburg, where he was mustered into service. After remaining in camp three weeks at Arlington Heights, he went to Leesburg, VA., where he participated in the second battle of Bull Run. He was then ordered back to Washington and to Antictam, where he was held in reserve in camp on the battlefield, until October, when he went up the Loudoun Valley and thence to Fredericksburg. Engaging in action at the latter place, he received a wound and was confined six weeks in the hospital. He returned to his regiment in time to engage in the battle of Chancellorsville, soon after which his term of enlistment (nine months) expired and he was mustered out a Harrisburg. In the summer of 1864 he came to Freeport IL an din February 1865 re-enlisted in the 147th Regt. IL Vol Inf went to Nashville TN and Dalton GA where he received a commission as Second Lt. of Co E of the 147th. After a delay of two months at Dalton and a month at Resaca, he went with a detachment to Albany, GA and with the remainder of the regiment to Americus,same State, where he was appointed Adjutant for the battalion; and after serving a month in this capacity he was appointed Assistant Provost Marshall for Starkville, Lee Co GA. Three months afterward he returned to his regiment, which soon was moved to Savannah GA where Mr. Martin did Provost duty in the city until 1866 when the regiment was mustered out. Returning to Freeport for a month, he came to Sterling and acted as clerk in a grocery store during the summer (1866); next, in the same capacity for Carpenter & Edison until 1874; then he went to California and was employed for two months in the freight office of the Central Pacific Railroad; and then served as station agent at Modesto, CA, until the fall of 1875, when he came to Sterling and engaged again as clerk for E.W. Edison. In the spring of 1877 he was employed as salesman for M.B. Rutt & Co., of Sterling, for a year, and then he formed a partnership with D.B. Strickler in the dry-goods business. Two years afterward C.A. Sheeting purchased Strickler's interest, who in turn sold to Mr. Kintzle and the firm name became Martin & Kintzle, the present style. Their store, 40 x 90 feet is at Nos. 118 and 120 Locust Street and they are carrying on a prosperous business on honorable principles.
Mr. Martin is a Republican and a member of the Masonic Order. April 17, 1878 he married Miss Emma Sheeting, of Freeport and they have one daughter born Dec. 10, 1881. [Portraits & Biographical Whiteside County IL 1885]
John Martin of Sterling, is a native of Bedford Co., Pa., and was born March 17, 1814, his parents being David and Catherine (Long) Martin. His father was an extensive farmer, owning and managing over 600 acres in that State. He died in Pennsylvania in 1859 and his wife (mother of John) survived until 1877. The subject of this sketch remained with his parents until 23 years of age, working on the and attending school. After leaving home he rented a farm from his father. In 1839 he purchased 121 acres from his father, and occupied it for 18 years; then, in 1857, he rented that farm and came to Sterling. In 1864 he sold his Pennsylvania farm and bought, all together, 606 acres in this county, which he now lets out to tenants. At present he is leading a quiet, pleasant life, his residence being at the corner of Cedar and Seventh Streets, in the village of Sterling. He has accumulated a large amount of property, and is a citizen of high standing. In his political views he sustains Republican principles. Mr. Martin was married in 1837, to Catherine Hoover, a native of Pennsylvania, Lancaster County; and they have four children, namely; Joseph who married Clara Stager; Jennie, who is the wife of Washington Dillon, and has four children - Catherine, Margaret, John and Paul; David and John W. are the other two children of Mr. Martin. Mrs. Martin died in July 1863 in Sterling. [Portraits & Biographical Whiteside County IL 1885]
Of Prophetstown Township, Whiteside Co IL
Silas Martin was born in Massachusetts, and first moved to Schoharie county, New York, and from there to Canada. In 1839 he came to Prophetstown, and remained two years, when he went to Coloma, and died there about 1859. His wife was killed in 1841 by the accidental dischage of a gun when she was out riding. The children of Mr. and Mrs. Martin have been; Sarah Sarah, wife of Thomas Yeoward, living in Coloma; Nancy, wife of Morris L. Green living in Montmorency; Emily, wife of William W. Durant living in Albany, Sophia, wife of Sydney Barber, living in Coloma; Harriet, wife of William R. McKenzie, living in Prophetstown; Henrietta, wife of J. E. Whitcher, living in California; Silas, living in California; David, now dead; and Hamilton, who married Miss Harriet Chapman, and lives in Round Grove. [Bent & Wilson History of Whiteside County]
Timothy Martin, deceased, formerly a farmer on section 31 Ustic Twp. was born Aug. 5, 1821 in Jefferson Co. N.Y. where he was brought up, and lived until his removal in 1853 to Whiteside County. He was the proprietor of a farm in Ustick Twp., which contained 80 acres. He died Oct. 21, 1876 and his widow is now the owner of the homestead, which is all in tillage. Mr. Martin was married March 8, 1843 in Jefferson Co. NY to Sally C. Paul. Their only child, Luna P., was born July 31, 1846 in Jefferson Co NY an dis now the widow of Kendrick Blodgett. She resides at Morrison. Mrs. Martin was born April 4, 1823, in Middletown VT. She is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church. [Portraits & Biographical Whiteside County IL 1885]
Nicholas Marzi, retired farmer, residing in Erie, is a son of Jacob and Elizabeth (Snyder) Marzi, and was born in Prussia, June 4, 1824. He was a coachman in Germany some years, and also served in the army in that country three years. In 1852 he emigrated to the United States, and was 13 weeks in crossing the water, having been shipwrecked off the coast of Ireland, and the vessel on which he sailed having put in for repairs. Soon after his arrival he located in Rensselaer Co., N. Y., where he was engaged in various pursuits, until 1863, when be went to Davenport, Iowa. He remained in the latter place until 1864, when he went to Rock Island County, and rented a farm in Canoe Creek Township, which he cultivated for one year; then superintended a large stock farm one year. He afterward, in 1866, purchased a farm in Erie Township, this county, consisting of 86 acres, and resided upon and cultivated it for two years, when he exchanged it for hotel property in Erie, the same being now known as the St. Nicholas Hotel. He ran the hotel until the spring of 1884, since which time he has rented it. In 1882 he built a nice residence in Erie, on six lots, which he owned, and where he at present resides.
Mr. Marzi formed a matrimonial alliance, in Rensselaer Co., N. Y., Nov. 11, 1852, with Mary Blocher, who was born in Wurtemberg, Germany, March 23, 1827. Three children have been born of their union, two in Rensselaer and one in this county: Mary is the wife of James Ells, engineer, in Rock Island, 111., and was born Aug. 21, 1852; George A., born April 23, 1858, is now running a branch music store for W. W. Kimball & Co., in Muscatine, Iowa, and is unmarried; Ira H., born Feb. 15, 1868, is learning telegraphy in the Eric office. [Portraits & Biographical Pg 223]
John Mason, farmer, section 27, Coloma Township, was born Dec. 25, 1803, in Paisley, Scotland, and was the fifth child inhis father's family of 11 children, eight sons and three daughters. His parents were George and Elizabeth (Nelson) Mason, natives also of Scotland. His father was a manufacturer of silk and shawls, and died March 7, 1849, and his mother Feb. 29, 1832. When 17 years of age he emigrated to America, landing at Quebec. Going to Caledonia Co., Vt., he worked out by the month on a farm, remaining there until 1830. He then traveled for a while, in the meantime learning the mason's trade. In September, 1836, he came to Chicago, and went thence to Joliet, where he worked on a farm. The next year he came to Sterling, this county, when it was wild prairied, there being there but one house - a log structure. Here he worked at odd jobs, until he took a claim of a quarter-secion of land three miles north of Sterling. After living there for four years he sold he sold the place, and then for two years drove a team, hauling to Chicago and return, and doing other jobs in the line of teaming. About this time he suffered considerably from inflammation of the eyes, trying many remedies, but without avail. Returning to Scotland, his eyes were cured, and he came again to Sterling, where he resumed his trade for two years. He then came to Coloma, and purchasd 80 acres of land, where he has since made his home. He has never been married, but has always had some of his friends living with him. In politics Mr. Mason is a Jackson Democrat, and votes steadfastly with his party. In religion he was brough up a Presbyterian. He is a public-spirited man, as is evinced by the material and moral aid he has given public institutions of beneficence.
Robert McNeil, a nephew of Mr. Mason, who has lived with him ever since his immigration to this country, in 1849, superintends the work of the farm. He was married July 4, 1856, to Miss Jean Tyle, of Ogle Co., Ill., but formerly from Scotland. They have been the parents of eight children: Alexander J., Agnes J., Willie E. John M., Jennie L., Georgeiana M., Robert B. and Mary I. Mr. McNeil is a Democrat, and a member of the County Democratic Committee; also Chairman of the town Central Committee. He holds the Presbyterian faith, and his wife and daughter belong to the Presbyterian Church at Sterling. Mr. McNeil was the first organizer of the Whiteside County Caledonian Club, consisting of 40 members, all of Scotch descent. They received a charter in 1878, and are still in existence. They have a library of 250 volumes, mostly of Scotch and English literature. [Portraits & Biographical 1885]
OF Sterling, IL
Nelson Mason was born in Paisley, Scotland, and when quite young emigrated to the United States, and settled in Vermont. In 1835, he determined to seek the then new West for a home, for himself and family, and while searching for a suitable location on the prairie above Sterling, in company with John B. Barnett, met William Kirkpatrick, who had made a claim where Sterling now stands, and the two were induced by him to go to that point and locate. Mr. Mason became one of the original proprietors of Chatham, and in connection with Mr. Barnett opened the first store at that place. He was also agent for Godfrey and Gilman, of Alton, Illinois, who owned a large interest in Chatham. Mr. Mason took an active part in effecting the union of, Harrisburgh and Chatham, and giving to the united towns the name of Sterling, so that the county seat could be secured. In 1860, 1862 and 1865, he was Mayor of the city of Sterling, and is universally spoken of as one of the ablest Chief Magistrates the city has had. One of his daughters married Col. Bross, and another Mr. Zadoc T. Galt, of Sterling. Mrs. Galt is now dead. Mr. Mason has a large property in Chicago and for a number of years past has resided in that city. John Mason, bother, still lives on his farm adjoining Rock Falls, and although at an advanced age, still possesses the genial, sunny nature, together with the inflexible firmness, for which the Scotch are so famed. [Whiteside Co History, Bent & Wilson, Pg 410]
Of Hopkins Township
Andrew Mathew, farmer, section 6, Hopkins Township, is a son of William and Jennette (Wiley) Mathew, natives of Scotland, who came to America in 1851 (see sketch of David Mathew), and settled in West Virginia, and came to Whiteside County in 1856 and passed the remainder of their life here. They had ten children, named Thomas, David, William, Jeannette, Andrew, Ann, Margaret, Robert, Jane and Alexander. The subject of this sketch was born in Scotland, Aug. 6, 1830. He received a common-school education and remained in his native land till about 1847, when he came to West Virginia, where he lived seven years, engaged in farming and at work on the Baltimore & Ohio Railroad, grading. In the fall of 1856 he came to Whiteside County and worked out for three years. He then rented a farm in Hopkins and Mt. Pleasant Townships for eight years. He then purchased 74 acres on section 6, Hopkins Township, where he settled and has since lived. He was married first in Virginia, to Mary A. Dumire, who was a native of Virginia. They had one child, Sarah C., who is now the wife of John S. Lingel and resides in Morrison. Mrs. Mathew died in Hopkins Township, in April, 1858, and Mr. M. was again married, in Carroll Co., Ill., Jan. 29,1860, to Rachel Hunter, who was a native of Scotland, being a daughter of Robert and Jennette (Cassells) Hunter. By this marriage there have been seven children,- Jennette E., Margaret J., William A., Eliza M., Robert, Ella R. and Andrew T. In his political views Mr. Mathew is independent. [Portraits & Biographical 1885 - Whiteside Co IL Pg 340]
Mt. Pleasant Township
David Mathew is one of the leading agriculturists of Mt. Pleasant Twp. and a resident on section 1. He was born in Fifeshire, Scotland, June 3, 1824, and was a resident of his native country until he was 24 years old. He emigrated thence in 1848 and landed at New York. He spent six months in the state of Maryland, going then to West VA where he continued for 12 years. He came to IL in 1860 and located in Whiteside County. His estate includes 572 acres, lying in the townships of Mt.Pleasant and Hopkins. It is chiefly under cultivation. The parents of Mr. Mathew, William and Jeanette (Wylie) Mathew, were natives of Scotland, who about 1851 came to the U.S. first locating in Tucker Co W.VA. and six years later they made a change of residence to Whiteside County, settling in Hopkins Twp. The death of the mother took place there and the father died in Mt.Pleasant Twp. Their children were Thomas, David, William, Jeannette, Andrew, Margaret, Ann, Jane, Robert and Alexander.
The marriage of Mr. Mathew to Ann Wolf took place in Nov. 1857 in WV. Mrs. Mathew is the daughter of George and Catharine (Barb) Wolf, and they were natives of VA. Their seven children were Isaac, George A., Elizabeth, Mary, Ann, Catharine and Israel. Mrs. mathew was born July 4, 1830, in West Virginia. To her and her husband have been born 13 children, William B., Jeanette and George (Twins), Catharine, Robert, Mary, Anna, David W., and George W. (twins), James A., Ezra, Simon and Samuel (twins). One child is deceased, George, twin brother of jeannette. Mrs. Mathew belongs to the family from which the celebrated hero of Quebec descended. M.M. is an adherent of the Republican party and belongs to the Presbyterian Church. He has held several offices. [Portraits & Biographical 1885 Pg 319]
Of Hopkins Twp.
Thomas Mathew has been a resident in the township of Hopkins since 1836. In this year he is recorded among the pioneer settlers of the township to which he came one year after the first permanent resident took up his abode here. He owns 525 acres of land in the township, and 500 acres are under good improvements, and well furnished with excellent and necessary buildings. He first purchased 80 acres of land, on which he operated two years, and sold it in 1838, buying 80 acres on the section where he has resided since, and which forms the nucleus of his present large estate. He was born in Scotland, where his parents, Thomas and Margaret (Thompson) Mathew, were born, lived and died. Their children, seven in number, were born in the following order: Andrew, Robert, Thomas, Margaret, Euphemia, Elizabeth, Agnes and Jane. Mr. Mathew's birth occurred July 15, 1808. He came from Scotland to the United States in 1835, and passed his first year on the soil of the New World in the State of Vermont, whence he came to Illinois. He was married Nov. 28, 1862, in Hopkins Township, to Margaret, daughter of William and Jeannette Mathew, and widow of Reuben Dumire. By her first husband she became the mother of four children, - Jeannette, Mary C., William T. and Reuben. The children born of the second marriage are named Thomas and Robert. The mother died Sept. 25, 1865. Mr. Mathew was a second time married July 9, 1868, in Hopkins Township, to Anna B. Thompson. She was born Feb. 28, 1849, in Scotland. Jeannie B., William A., Robert A. and Elizabeth G. are the names of the children of which she became the mother. Mr. Mathew is again a widower, his wife having died July 7, 1876. In his political connection Mr. M. is a Republican, and he has held various official position; and being a prominent and representative citizen, as well as one of the oldest pioneers of the county, his portrait is presented. [Portraits & Biographical Pg 270]
Thomas Matthews settled at Round Grove in 1837. He is a Scotchman highly esteemed, still lives upon the farm first purchased by him, and by his industry and thrift has made himself decidedly comfortable in this world's goods. He possesses that inflexibility of character so peculiar to the Scotch. [Bent-Wilson History of Whiteside County]
Of Ustick Township
William Mathew, general farmer, resident on section 2, Ustick Township, was born July 9, 1826 in Scotland, which was also the native country of his parents, William and Jannet (Wiley) Mathew. He emigrated to the U.S. with his wife and surviving children in 1870. He at once fixed his residence in Whiteside County where he has since lived. In 1882 he bought the farm on which he has since resided, and pursued his agricultural projects. It comprises 200 acres and is under good cultivation. Mr. Mathew is a Republican in political principles. He was married in 1847 in Scotland to Jane Skinner, and they have had seven children - Thomas, Margaret, Jessie and James are deceased. Those yet living are William, James S. and David. Mr. and Mrs. Mathew are members of the Presbyterian Church. [Portraits & Biographical Pg 510]
Of Garden Plain Township
Alpheus Mathews is a native of the town of Hector, Tompkins county, New York, and was born January 12, 1812. He lived at his old home until September 12, 1837, when he started for the West, and arrived in Whiteside county in October of that year. In the spring of 1838 he commenced improving a small farm in Garden Plain, which he sold in 1844 to Joseph Snyder, and purchased his present farm on sections 2 and 11. On the 10th of November 1839, Mr. Mathews married Miss Abyleen Bethea, in Lee County Illinois. Their children were: Mary, born August 20, 1840; William, born March 3, 1842; Carrie, born May 27, 1843, and one who died in infancy. Mrs Mathews died in October, 1844. Mary married Samuel Montgomery, and died in May, 1872. Mr Mathews married his second wife, Mrs. Louise Patrick. Mr. Mathews was Justice of the Peace of Garden Plain township from 1864 to 1872. [Bent & Wilson History of Whiteside County Page 215]
ALPHEUS MATHEWS, a substantial farmer on section 11, Garden Plain Township, was born Jan. 14, 1812, in the town of Hector, Tompkins Co., N.Y. His parents, Stephen and Patience (Wightman) Mathews, were both natives of the Empire State, where they were farmers. Mr. Mathews is their third son, and he was given the advantage of a practical education, which he made available in teaching. He began his first efforts in that vocation when he was 21. In the fall of 1835, on account of failing health, he went to New Orleans, where he passed the winter, returning to the place of his birth in the spring. In the fall of 1837, he came to Whiteside County. He was a single man, and traveled according to his circumstances and the facilities which the period afforded. He journeyed to Chicago on the lakes, and walked from that city to Whiteside Connty. He bought a timber claim, and also entered one on his own responsibility on the prairie located on section 13, township 21, range 3, as Garden Plain Township was then designated. He made some improvements on his property, which he sold in 1844. He made further purchases on sections 4 and 5 in the same towmhip, where he made considerable improvement, and built a log cabin. In 1846 he sold his prairie farm, but retained the timber for a time. He fixed his residence in Ustick Township, where he lived some years. In 1850 he bought the farm he now occupies, situated on sections 2 and 11.
Mr. Mathews was married Nov. 10, 1839, to Abylene Bethea. She was born Dec. 20, 1819, in Tennessee, and died Oct. 20, 1844. Mary, the first born child of this union, was the first white child born in the township. Her birth occurred Aug. 20, 1840. She married Samuel Montgomery, and died in 1872. William, born March 3, 1842, died in February, 1879, in Missouri, where he was a farmer. He entered the military service during the War of the Rebellion, and was a soldier in the 8th Ill. Cav. three years. Carrie, born May 27, 1843, married Daniel George, and died in March, 1877, in Kansas. Another child died in infancy.
Mr. Mathews was a second time married Oct. 11, 1846, to Lois Ingham, widow of Thomas Patrick. They have had three children: Martha is the wife of G. B. Griswold, and they reside in Spink Co., D. T.; Ida is the wife of W. J. Malcom, of Garden Plain: Charles is deceased. The mother died May 23, 1863. Mr. Mathews married for his third wife Sarah Portel. She was born March 31,1815, in Pennsylvania. Although Mr. Mathews has suffered many years from precarious health, he has been enabled, solely through good management, to accumulate a fine property, and is rated among the valuable citizenship of the county. He has secured through reading and observation a well disciplined and well stored mind, and is esteemed among his associates by his social, genial nature. [Portraits & Biographical Pg 659]
ANTHONY J. MATTSON
OF Prophetstown Township
Anthony J. Mattson was born in Crawford county, Pennsylvania, December 23, 1818, about one mile from the Erie county line. His father was a native of Scotland, and his mother of Ireland. When about three years of age, his parents moved to Erie county, Pennsylvania. Before he had attained the age of six years his mother died, and before he was twelve years of age he left home, going out into the wide world for himself, for thenceforth he was to be his own master, and dependent upon his own labor for the supply of his wants. He came to Prophetstown in 1838, and although but nineteen had travelled quite extensively to the east as far as New York and Philadelphia; south as far as Vicksburg, and west to St. Louis. He came to Prophetstown byway of St.Louis, Peoria, and Knoxville, arriving on the 23d of June, and soon after engaged in mechanical pursuits to which his tastes led, and for which nature had happily endowed him, having given a mind to plan, and a hand to execute its beh! ests. On the 9th of April, 1840, he was married to Miss Lucy B. Minchin, a native of Vermont, and a lady possessing all the gifts and graces for which the fair daughters of that renowned State are celebrated. But one child was born to this union - Alice, born August 17, 1843. She died July 20, 1844, and gloom for a time darkened the otherwise happy home of the parents. Time brought changes. The country improved; business revived after the depression consequent upon the visionary schemes and lunatic financiering of 1839-'40, and a brighter future opened. In 1848, Mr. Mattson was appointed Postmaster at Prophetstown, and in 1852 opened a small store and continued in this business until the beginning of 1855. In April of that year he entered into the banking business, in which he was actively engaged until he was burned out. Between 1853 and 1860 he devoted much time and effort toward securing the construction of a railway to Prophetstown, so as to give it an outlet to Chicago and St. Louis. From almost the time when Mr. Mattson first became a resident of Prophetstown, he conceived the idea of having it connected with the grain markets by railway, but did not actively engage in the work to secure this end until 1853; when he concluded that in order to accomplish the object, a strong effort must be made, and hard work done. For nearly twenty years, commencing with the Sheffield & Savanna Railway enterprise, and shortly after that taking up the Camanche, Albany & Mendota, he labored persistently and un-swervingly for the construction of a railroad which would reach Prophetstown. Finally he had his reward, when, In March, 1871, the Grand Trunk Railway, owned and operated by the Chicago, Burlington & Quincy R. R. Company, was completed to Prophetstown. To no man are the citizens of Prophetstown, or those of other towns along the line of this road from Mendota to the Mississippi river, more indebted for the building of the road, than to A. J. Mattson! . His constant aim was to benefit the south side of Rock river, then without railroad facilities. To the interests of the people benefited by this road he always acted with consistency and strict fidelity, and it is but due to him in this biographical sketch to award him that meed of praise, for securing the accomplishment of this object so munificent in its results to the people, which so eminently belongs to him. On the breaking out of the war Mr. Mattson was appointed enrolling officer for Whiteside county, by Governor Yates, and was afterwards appointed Deputy Provost Marshal under Capt. John V. Eustace, which positions he filled to the satisfaction of all. He then received the appointment of Chief Clerk in the U. S. Revenue Assessor's office, for the Third District of Illinois, A. J. Warner, Assessor. In 1856, he was appointed Notary Public, and in the spring of 1859 elected Justice of the Peace, to which latter place he has been re-elected ever since, the best possible! evidence that his course has been acceptable to his fellow citizens. The First National Bank of Prophetstown was organized in 1872, with a capital of $50,000 - Nathan Thompson, President, and A. J. Mattson, Cashier. This position Mr. Mattson has since filled, and its duties, in connection with his official business, occupies his time, and leaves little opportunity for other pursuits. For four successive years he was an active official member of the State Board of Agriculture, serving with credit to himself, and benefit to the State. Mr. Mattson has built up an enviable reputation as a citizen and a man of business, and occupies a prominent position in the community in which he resides. [Bent & Wilson History of Whiteside County Page 379-380]
WILLIAM H. MAXFIELD
William H. Maxfield, farmer, section 24, Mount Pleasant Township, was born Oct. 21, 1841, in Bristol, R. I. Nathaniel and Susan (Sherman) Maxfield, his father and mother, were born in New England. After their marriage they located at Bristol, whence they came in 1855 to Whiteside County, settling at Como. The mother died in February 1870, in Hopkins Township. The father lives in the township of Mount Pleasant. Their ten children were named William H., Frank S., Mary A., Maria W., Georgianna, Nathaniel, Eva H., Elizabeth, Harriet and Winnifred L.
Mr. Maxfield was 13 years of age when he came to Whiteside County, where he has since lived. He is now one of the heavy land-holders of Mount Pleasant Township, owning 240 acres, which lie partly in section 24 of the township, on which his residence is located, and on section 19 of Hopkins Township. The entire area is practically all under tillage. Mr. Maxfield deals quite extensively in stock, his herds containing 60 head of cattle and nine horses, and he raises an annual average of 100 hogs. His marriage to Jennie McElrath took place in Como, July 4, 1864. Their children were named Minnie E., William H. Jr., and Walter I. Mrs. Maxfield is of Irish and Scotch origin, her parents, John and Jane (Jackson) McElrath, having been natives respectively of Ireland and Scotland. They became residents of Whiteside County about 1856, locating in Mt. Pleasant Township, where they spent the remainder of their days. The demise of the mother occurred June 1, 1872, and that of the father in the month of October following. Margaret, Thomas, John, Eliza, Jennie and William W. are the names of their children. Mrs. Maxfield was born in Ireland, April 20, 1843, and was about five years old when her parents emigrated to the United States. Mr. Maxfield is a Republican in political connection and views. He has officiated in several local offices. [Contributed by Marji Turner - Portraits & Biographical]
Nelson Maxson, of Sterling, residing at the corner of Fourth and Clinton Streets, was his parents being Phineas and Phobe (Ringgold) Maxson, natives of Rhode Island and residents upon a farm. Mr. Maxson was but 15 years of age when his parents died, and then went to Allegany Co., N. Y., and worked on a farm three years; next, he went to Augusta, Oneida County, that State, purchased a wagon shop and carried it on until 1851, when he sold it and moved to Oswego County, same State, where he was engaged in the lumber business one year; he was Deputy Sheriff of Oneida County, and while at Augusta he was Postmaster during Taylor and Fillmore's administrations; and while in Oswego County he was Postmaster until his removal West. He sold his position in the lumber business in Oswego County, and moved to LaSalle Co., Ill., where he took charge of a carriage shop two years. In 1855 he came to Sterling, this county, and engaged in the manufacture of carriages until 1859, when he closed the business and entered the mercantile trade with Rice Bros., remaining with them until 1862. Then selling his interest to their, he followed the real-estate business until 1872; then was a merchant again until 1874, in Sterling. He moved his stock of goods to Tampico, this county, where he was in business nearly two years, when he was burned out. Returning to Sterling for a year, he purchased a farm at Midland Junction, Iowa, where he was engaged in agricultural pursuits six years. Selling a part of the farm, he moved hack to Sterling, into the same house he built and owned since 1855. He is now enjoying a retirement from the responsibilities of business.
In 1862 he was elected Mayor of Sterling and served a term, and in 1865 was re-elected. He has also been Overseer of the Poor for Sterling for six years, and School Director for several years. He was one of the Vestrymen of the Protestant Episcopal Church from the time their house of worship was built, in 1865, for several years. Since 1844 he has been a member of the I. O. O. F., and in politics he is a Republican. He is an influential and leading citizen of Sterling. Mr. Maxson was married Aug. 11, 1839, to Miss Mary Alexander, a native of Butternuts, Otsego Co., N. Y. They have two children living and an adopted daughter. The children are, Adelbert A., who married Lizzie Monohon in 1870, and has a daughter named Virginia; J. C, who married Annie Strong in 1883; and the adopted daughter is named Georgie. Aug. it, 1864, Mr. and Mrs. Mason celebrated their silver wedding. Both being in good health, they expect in 1889 to celebrate their golden wedding. [Portraits & Biographical Pg 223]
AMBROSE I. MAXWELL
Of Lyndon Township
A.I. Maxwell came from New York State with the Coburn family, arriving at Lyndon in July, 1837. Soon afterwards he married Miss Hulce, who had also come West with the Coburns. Their children have been: Hiram, Samuel A., Louisa, Mary, and one son (Calvin A.) who died in the army at the commencement of the war. Hiram resides in Minnesota; Samuel A. married Miss Esther Austin, daughter of Dennis Austin, and is a resident of Como, having charge of the Como public school; Louisa and Mary are married, the former living at Mendota, Illinois, and the latter in Minnesota; both were popular school teachers in Whiteside county prior to their marriage. Mr. Maxwell is a mill-wright and house carpenter by trade. In 1837 he worked on Haines' mill in Union Grove, and run it a short time, sawing hard wood lumber. He afterwards attached a pair of burrs, and ground grain. This mill had been built in 1836, but the dam washed out, and it was rebuilt in 1837. Mr. Maxwell also worked on the Hamilton school house in 1837. In 1840 he assisted to construct the first frame school house in what is now Union Grove township, at Unionville. Many of the buildings of the early settlers were also constructed in whole or part by his handicraft. [From - Bent & Wilson History of Whiteside County IL 1877]
AMBROSE I. MAXWELL, a Whiteside County pioneer of 1837, was born April 18, 1814, in the town of Delhi, Delaware Co., N. Y. His father, Christopher Maxwell, was born in 1779, in Connecticut and married Lucy Green who was born in 1782, in Rhode Island. She was a daughter of Silas Green, who was a Colonial soldier. He was in the service under Arnold and fought at Quebec, as in many other engagements The family of Green went to the State of New York about 1787, and two years later they settled near Delhi, in Delaware County. Later they went to Decatur, in Otsego County, where the father died, about 1834.
James Maxwell, paternal grandfather of Ambrose, was born in Connecticut, of Scotch lineage. About 1797 he located in the vicinity of Delhi. His son, Christopher, was married in 1801, and at once, on settling in life, became a farmer in the township of Delhi, and also engaged in the lumber trade and constructed several saw-mills. With the exception of one year, which he spent with his son in Lyndon, he was a resident of Delaware County until his death, in 1860. His wife died at the home of her daughter in Erie, in 1855. They had 12 children.
Ambrose was the eighth in order of birth and was an inmate of the parental home until he was 22. To that time he had been a farmer, and he acquired a knowledge of carpentry and also of the business of a millwright. In the spring of 1836 he came to Illinois, accompanied by George Dennis and P. L. Jeffers. They obtained employment on a farm on De Soto Island, where they stopped two days. He and Dennis went to Peoria, where they remained two weeks and made their way thence to Chicago by stage, the fare being $15. Mr. Maxwell took passage on the lakes to Buffalo, went from there to Syracuse on the canal, and readied Delhi the first of July. He remained in Delaware County until the spring of the following year, when he started, accompanied by several others, to Illinois. The party had seven wagons and thirteen horses. Mr. Maxwell went with them to Cattaraugus County, where he embarked on a raft on the Allegheny River, going to Pittsburgh. He made the passage thence on the Ohio and Mississippi Rivers to Peoria, where he waited for the arrival of his brother-in-law, C. R. Coburn, who was on his way there overland. They came together to Lyndon Township, where they arrived July 9, 1837.
Mr. Maxwell contracted to build a house for Elisha Hazard, which was the second frame dwelling in the village of old Lyndon. In August of the same year he engaged to build a saw-mill for Jonathan Haines, in Mt Pleasant Township, which was the first mill operated in the county. The establishment was completed in the middle of December of the same year. He built a wheel and attached the power to a small run of stones on the same flume, and, Dec. 25, 1837, ground the first grain in this portion of Whiteside County. In January, 1838, he went to Ogle County, where he was employed as a carpenter and builder until October, 1839, when he returned to Lyndon.
May 4, 1839, he was married at Peoria, to Artemsia, daughter of Samuel and Sarah (Plummer) Hulee. Her father was born in Goshen, Ulster Co., N. Y., and her mother at Egg Harbor, N. J. The families to which they belonged became residents of the State of New York in the early part of the 18th century, Mrs. Maxwell was born April 2, 1810, in Deposit, Delaware Co., N. Y. She was educated with care and became a teacher, commencing that occupation when 18 years of age in Broome County, in her native State. She came to Illinois and taught at Sugar Grove, Lee County. Mr. Maxwell had secured a claim in Ogle County, which he sold and settled at Lyndon, where he worked at his trade. In 1842 he made a claim on section six of " town 20 north, 5 east," where he built a frame house, and broke and fenced about 20 acres of prairie. In the fall of 1844 he sold his land and stock. In 1845 he secured another claim on section 8, of town 15, range 5. He" built a house, granary and stable and fenced 80 acres of land. In 1851 he rented the farm and went to Union Grove and did the wood work in a grist-mill.
In 1853 he sold his farm to J. D, Fisk, who is still its owner and occupant. Mr. Maxwell engaged at his trade in Unionville. In the spring of 1854 he bought land on section 8, of town 21, range 5 east, and built a house. He held the place but a few a months, exchanging it for the first claim he had made in the township of Lyndon. Mr. Maxwell was successful in his land operations and was chiefly a resident of Lyndon Township. In 1872 he bought a house in Lyndon village.
His family has included five children, of whom four are living: Lousia M., wife of William Patrick, was born Jan. 31, 1840, in Lyndon Township; Calvin A. was born March 13, 1842 ; he enlisted in 1861 in the 7th Ill. Cav., and died at; Bird's Point, Mo., Jan. 23, 1862; James H. was born Feb. 19, 1845, and enlisted in the same regiment and, company with his brother. He was enrolled in September 1861 and was discharged in February, 1862. He is a resident of Noble Co., Minn; Mary E., born Feb. 22, 1847, is the wife of George W. Cale, of Noble Co., Minn.; Samuel A., born Dec. 27, 1851, lives at Unionville.
SAMUEL A. MAXWELL
Son of Ambrose I. Maxwell
Samuel A. Maxwell, teacher, at Unionville, has been all his life a resident in Whiteside County, having been born Dec. 27, 1851, in the township of Mt. Pleasant. His father and mother were Ambrose I. and Artemisia (Hulce) Maxwell. His father and mother were natives of Delaware Co., N. Y., and came thence, in 1837, to Lyndon Township, with the family whom they accompanied from their native State. They were married in 1839, and they went for a brief period to Ogle County, whence they returned to Lyndon Township, the scene of their life's labors, and where they are still resident. The father was one of the first mechanics in the county, and his services were in eager demand among the settlers.
Mr. Maxwell is the youngest of five children, and he had two brothers and two sisters — Louisa, Calvin A., James H. and Mary M. He obtained his education previous to his 20th year, in the common schools of his native county, and he subsequently attended the High Schools at Lyndon and at Polo, Ogle County. He was graduated at the latter institution in 1875. He interspersed his periods of study with teaching, to which he has since devoted his time in various parts of the county. In 1882 he took charge of the school at Unionville, in which capacity he is still operating. Mr. Maxwell holds credentials from the highest educational tribunals in the State, and is a member of the National Educational Association.
He was united in marriage Dec. 27, 1876, in Lyndon Township, to Esther W., daughter of Dennis and Harriet (Gary) Austin, and the three children now belonging to the family are named Edith L., Ralph E. and Vera J. Mrs. Maxwell was born April 20, 1857, in Lyndon Township. Her father was born in Indiana, and her mother in the State of New York. They settled in Lyndon Township in 1854, and had 10 children, named Emery, Willard F., Franklin P., Harrison C, Esther W., Olive B., Lincoln A., Hattie B., Clara E. and Clark D.
In political adherence Mr. Maxwell is a Republican, and supports the issues of the party of Prohibition. He is a member of the Baptist Church, to which his wife also belongs. [Portraits and Biographical Whiteside Co IL 1885]
of Hopkins Twp.
Henry May, farmer, section 35, Hopkins Township, has lived in Whiteside County since the autumn of 1854 when he came hither with his wife and two children; and associated with his brother, bought 167 acres on the section on which his homestead has since been established. He is the owner of 70 acres of land, chiefly under tillage. He is a Democrat in political choice and relations. Mr. May was born Oct. 19, 1815 in Massachusetts. He spent his youthful years in obtaining a common-school education, and passed the time intervening between that age and his majority in acquiring a knowledge of carriage-making and the trade of wheelwright. He followed these occupations until 1840, when he began running an omnibus line between Roxbury and Boston, in which he was interested four years. In January, 1851, he went to California, making the route there by way of the isthmus of Panama. He engaged in mining in the Golden State, and was occupied in that business three years, meeting partial success. He returned to Massachusetts in the spring of 1854; and in the fall came to Illinois. He formed a matrimonial alliance with Martha Jane Currier Nov. 27, 1846, in Methuen, Mass. She was born Feb. 20. 1822, in that place, and is the daughter of John and Harriet (Burr) Currier. Her parents lived and died in the State of Massachusetts. She is the oldest of their six children, and her brothers and sisters were named Eunice B., John M., Jonathan G., Ada B. and Cynthia K. The children of Mr. and Mrs. May have been four in number, and they were born in the following order: Mary H., Esther K, William A. and Henry C. Jr. Esther died Oct. 14, 1853, when about three years of age. Mary married Delos Olds and lives at Como. Mr. and Mrs. May are members of the Congregational Church. [Portraits & Biographical, Pg 307]
OF Portland Township
Asa Maynard was a native of Litchfield county, Connecticut, and born in 1780. In 1812 he moved to Genesee county, New York, and in 1838 settled in Portland, He was a carpenter by trade. Mr. Maynard married Miss Asenath Mack in 1799. Their children were: Dolly, who married Col. E. Seely, and is now dead; Ezra, now dead; Lydia, wife of Alzera Williams, living in Cattaraugus county, New York; Deborah, who married Merritt Hotchkiss, and is now dead; Henry, who married Miss Purmela Hubbard, and is now dead; Asenath, Wife of Darius Mendall, living in Portland; Mary Ann, wife of Ira Camp, living in Portland; Abby Ann, wife of E. B. Latham, living in Portland; William who married Miss Lucy Crossman, and is now dead; Nancy, wife of Amos Foster, living in Jo Daviess county, Illinois; and Allen, who married Miss Eliza A. Wood, and is now dead. [Bent & Wilson History of Whiteside County, Page 359]
Of Portland Township
William Maynard was born in Berkshire county, Massachusetts, in 1805 and in 1839 came to Portland, and settled on what is now the Wm. Booth farm. He married Miss Emily P. Barns, in 1827. Their children were: Hannah, Jane and Almina, all of whom are dead. Jane married David B. Seely, and Almina married Martin V. Seely. Mrs. Maynard died in 1855, and Mr. Maynard afterwards married Lucy Pomeroy. He is now living in Geneseo, Henry county Illinois, but every year his genial face is seen at the Old Settlers meeting which he usually entertains with reminiscences of the olden time put into verse. [Bent & Wilson History of Whiteside County IL, 1877]
OF Morrison, Whiteside Co IL
Meril Mead, Justice of the Peace and insurance agent at Morrison, was born Dec. 18, 1820, in Springfield, Clarke Co., Ohio. Allen Mead, his father, was born Feb. 20, 1793, in Saratoga Co., N. Y., and was but a youth when the second war with Great Britain occurred. He entered the United States army and was in the command of Gen. Van Rensselaer. At the battle of Queenstown, his regiment was attached to the forces under Winfield Scott, then a Lieutenant in the regular army of the United States. During the last 28 years of his life be was a minister of the Free Will Baptist Church and resided at various places in the pursuit of his calling. He died at Wolf Lake, Noble Co., Ind., Jan. 20, 1849. Sally (Scarlett) Mead, his mother, was born Feb. 25,1797, in Addison Co., Vt., and died at Wolf Lake, Sept. 11, 1864. They had ten children, five of whom are yet living. The eldest, Alfred, resides at Tremont, Clarke Co., Ohio. Mr. Mead is the next in order of birth. Ephraim is a farmer in Indiana. Sophronia married Washington Scott, and resides in Michigan. Sarah, wife of Jefferson Scott, lives in Warsaw, Ind. . Mr. Mead received .a good education in his native I State, completing his studies at Springfield, where he took a thorough course of instruction in advanced English branches. On leaving school he engaged in teaching, of which he made a business for 15 years. In 1855 he came to Whiteside County and interested '" himself in the purchase, improvement and sale of lands in the township of Ustick. While there he officiated seven years as Justice of the Peace. After a business career of nine years in Ustick Township he removed in 1865, to Morrison, and purchased 80 acres of land, of which sixteen acres lay within the corporation, upon which he built his residence. The remainder of the 80 acres is situated east of the city. Mr. Mead is also the owner of a business building in the city. He is the owner of 160 acres of land in Sioux and Hancock Counties, Iowa, and 60 acres in Du Page Co., ILL, lying 14 miles southwest of Chicago, on the line of the Chicago, Burlington & Quincy Railroad. He owns, besides the estate enumerated, 153 acres in Union Grove Township. He is a stockholder and director of the First National Bank at Morrison, and is a stockholder in the First National Bank at Kearney, Neb. In his relations as an insurance agent he represents the Orient of Hartford and the Royal of Liverpool (fire insurance). In life insurance he operates in the interests of the Northwestern Mutual, of Milwaukee, Wis. He is also dealing in real estate and acting in the capacity of Pension Agent.
On coming to manhood, Mr. Mead accepted the political issues of the Whig party, and became a partisan of the Henry Clay school. He continued to act with that party until 1856. when he became a Republican, uniting himself with the party which then came into existence. He was prominent in public life in his native county, and in 1844 was elected Assessor of Harmony Township, and was reÂelected ten consecutive years. In 1850 he was appointed Deputy United States Marshal for Clarke Co., Ohio, under the administration of President Taylor. In 1872 he supported Horace Greeley for President in 1884 he was an ardent supporter of James G. Blaine. In 1873 he was elected Coroner of Whiteside County and served out the term. In the spring of 1881 he was elected Justice of the Peace and still holds the incumbency. He is a member of the Odd Fellows fraternity and belongs to Lodge No. 257 at Morrison.
Mr. Mead was united in marriage at Harmony, Clarke Co., Ohio, Sept. 30, 1847, to Harriet Newlove. She was born April 3, 1830, in Harmony, and is the daughter of Laybourn and Elizabeth Newlove. Following is the record of the children of Mr. and Mrs. Mead: Elizabeth was born Sept. 2, 1848 and died Aug. 12, 1862, Rilla S., born Nov. 12, 1851, died Dec. 25, 1879, M. Inman born Feb. 25, 1856, is the manager of his father's farm in Union Grove Township. Ellen, born May 17, 1860, died Feb. 14, 1882. Harriet and Eliza, twins, were born April 5, 1863.
Mr. Mead's portrait is presented here. Its claim to a place in the records of Whiteside County are clearly manifest from the foregoing account of his relations to the community in whose interests he has so faithfully labored. [Portraits & Biographical, Pg 223]
HARM T. MEINS
Of Hopkins Township
Harm T. Meins, farmer, secton 16, Hopkins Township, is a son of Henry W. and Mary Meins, natives of Germany, who came to America in 1859 and settled in Hopkins township, this county. She died January 16, 1870 and he March 13, 1885. They had a family of four children: Teite M., Mein, Harm and Mary. The subject of this sketch was born in Germany Dec. 21, 1830, and learned the trade of shoemaker, which he followed in the old country and in America about 16 years. He came to this country in 1854 and lived four years in Conn. , where he followed his trade and in the summer of 1855 came to Whiteside County and worked at his trade two years in Sterling and then purchased 40 acres in Hopkins Twp. where he settled and has since lived. He was married in Dixon (Lee County) in August in 1858 to Anna C. Janssen who was born in Germany August 26, 1830. They are the parents of two children, Anna, now the wife of John Fulfs residing in Genesee Twp. and Hannah H. now the wife of Henry W. Stern a resident of Hopkins Twp. Mr. Meins has been Overseer of Highways. Road Commissioner and School Trustee. They are members of the German Lutheran Church. In politics Mr.M. is i dentified with the Democratic party. [1885 Portrait and Biographical of Whiteside Co Pg. 336]
HENRY K. MELLINGER
Henry K. MELLINGER, a farmer on section 23, Jordan Township, was born Nov. 14, 1854, in the Township of Manor, Lancaster Co., Pa. Benjamin Mellinger, his father, a farmer of that State and county, where he was also born, spent his entire days there, dying Feb. 15, 1855, a few months after the birth of his son. The wife and mother (Anna Kauffman before her marriage) subsequently married H. Peters and removed to Whiteside County. She was born and reared in Manor Township, where she was twice married. She bore five children by her first husband. Mr. Mellinger resided with his stepfather and mother in his native State until 1869, when he accompanied them to Whiteside County, and he was an inmate of their home until he established himself at the head of a family. Since the second widowhood of his mother, he has had the supervision of her welfare. She is 64 years of age and is in excellent mental and physical health. Since his marriage Mr. Mellinger has conducted his mother's farm. It consists of 80 acres of good farm land, under good improvements and supplied with creditable and necessary farm equipments. The place is well stocked. In political preference and connection, Mr. Mellinger is a Republican, and he has officiated in several local offices. He and his wife are members of the Mennonite Church. [Portraits & Biographical Whiteside County 1885]
ADDISON SMITH MELVIN
Addison S. Melvin, merchant on Third Street, Sterling, was born Sept. 22, 1828 in Geauga Co., Ohio. His parents, Alonzo and Roenna (Lyman) Melvin, were natives of Massachusetts anddescendants of the old Puritan stock. They came to Ohio when young, married in 1819 and had nine sons and four daughters, all of whom excepting one son lived to be grown; the son died when four years and six months old.
Addison remained with his parents until 22 years of age, passing his youth on the farm, at the district school and two years (17 to 19 years old) at the Western Reserve Teacher's Seminary at Kirkland, Ohio. He then taught school one season, but, his health failing, he returned to farm labor in New York State. Two years afterward he went to Southern Indiana, where he followed carpentering for nine years. He came from there to Sterling and engaged in coopering, employing 12 men, and continued in the same line for 16 years; then in 1882, he started in the grocery business, under the firm name of Melvin & Son, and is now prosecuting a successful trade in that line. Mr. Melvin was married Sept. 17, 1856 to Miss Cordelia McKinney a native of NY and they have had five children, three of whom are still living; Arthur N., Addison S. Jr, and ALonzo D. Arthur married Gussie Roberts of Lyndon IL March 16, 1882. In political matters Mr. Melvin is a Republican and in religion he is connected with the Congregational church as is also Mrs. M. [Portrait & Biographical of Whiteside County 1885, Pg. 257]
ELMER ELLSWORTH MENSCH
One of the representative and successful farmers of Jordan township, owes his advancement in the business world entirely to his own well directed efforts, his close application and honorable business dealings. He was born October 19, 1862, in Montour county, Pennsylvania, the family home being near Danville. His parents, Andrew and Elizabeth (Miller) Mensch, were also natives of the Keystone state, but they died when their son was quite young and he has no definite knowledge of his grandparents save that they, too, were natives of Pennsylvania and lived to an advanced age, the grandfather, Jacob Mensch. being more than eighty years of age at the time of his demise.
Elmer Ellsworth Mensch was one of three children, of whom two are now living, his sister being Mrs. Isabelle Osman, a widow residing in Colorado. At the time of the Civil war Andrew Mensch joined the army as a soldier and gave his life for the cause of the Union. He enlisted soon after the outbreak of hostilities and remained continuously at the front until the battle of Petersburg, when he was killed in the engagement. He was a gallant soldier, always loyal to the old flag and ever brave in support of the cause which he espoused. Following his demise his widow became the wife of John Longenberger and to them were born four children, two of whom are yet living.
Elmer E. Mensch was but two and a half years old when his father died. He was then placed in the care of his cousin, Jesse Mensch, with whom he remained until he was eleven years of age. During the last two years of that time the cousin lived in town and his daughter, having married A. D. Keefer, settled upon the farm which her father had formerly occupied and Mr. Mensch, then a boy of nine years, went to live on the farm. He continued with Mr. and Mrs, Keefer until the winter of 1880, when he came to Whiteside county, settling first in Jordan township. For the first few years after his arrival here he was employed as a farm hand and thus provided for his support and laid the foundation for his present prosperity.
On the 8th of October, 1885, was celebrated the marriage of Mr. Mensch and Miss Maggie Wilger, a daughter of Joseph and Marie (Grubb) Wilger, who were natives of Germany and came to Pennsylvania in early life. After spending a few years there they removed westward to Whiteside county and took up their abode in Jordan township. Mr. Wilger died December 10, 1867, when about sixty-one years of age. The mother survives at the age of seventy-six years and is a remarkably well preserved woman. Following their marriage Mr. Mensch rented a farm of eighty acres in Palmyra township, but that did not prove a profitable venture and a year later he removed to the A. C. John place, where he cultivated one hundred and thirty acres of land, residing thereon for four years. He next located on the John Kratz place, of two hundred and eight acres, where he made his home for nine years, and on the 1st of March, 1898, he bought the present place of seventy-six acres. It had very few improvements upon it at that time but is now a beautiful farm property, in the midst of which stands a pretty home, while in the rear are fine barns and outbuildings and everything about the place is in excellent condition made so by the efforts of Mr. Mensch. His life has been characterized by unfaltering industry guided by sound judgment. He early came to realize the value of untiring labor and as the years have gone by he has achieved the measure of success which ever crowns earnest, persistent labor. Unto Mr. and Mrs. Mensch have been born two children: Omer E., who is now nineteen years of age and is attending business college at Sterling in preparation for a commercial career; and Marie, a bright and interesting little daughter of four years. The parents are well known in the community and have an extensive circle of friends.
Mr. Mensch has always been deeply interested in politics and in public matters relating to the welfare and upbuilding of the county. He votes with the republican party and in 1896-7 filled the office of collector. He has served for many years on the school board, was assessor for seven years and in the spring of 1906 was elected supervisor of his county. The offices that he has filled have found in him a faithful incumbent, ever loyal to the interests of the public and promoting general progress by practical, enterprising methods. In 1906 he was one of the federal grand jury summoned for the celebrated Standard Oil cases.
Mr. Mensch is a charter member of Penrose Camp, No. 2203, M. W. A., in which organization he held the office of clerk for nine years. Two years later he filled the office of councilor and was elected to represent the local lodge in the county organization and then elected to the state convention. He commenced life a poor boy and his record shows what can be accomplished when one has the will to dare and to do. He is now pleasantly situated in life and, moreover, he enjoys the esteem and confidence of his fellowmen by reason of the straightforward, honorable methods that he has followed in his business career, in public office and in fact in every relation of life. [Whiteside County History - by Wm. Davis 1908]
JOHN HARMON MENSCH
John H. Mensch, a prominent farmer residing on section 10, Newton township, Whiteside county, Illinois, was born in Columbia county,Pennsylvania, July 3, 1858, and is a son of William and Anna C. Mensch. The father is still living and makes his home in Sterling, but the mother died May 9, 1893. They were the parents of sixteen children, of whom ten are still living, namely; Martin L., a farmer of Oklahoma; William A., a farmer of this county; Eva, wife of Higgin Yates, of Omaha, Nebraska; John H., Allie A., wife of Milton Miller, a harness maker of Milledgeville, Illinois; Hattie, wife of R. Pittman, of Sterling; Jacob, a farmer of Kansas; Clarence, a farmer of Emerson, Whiteside county; Lora, wife of John Chalmers, a mechanic of Sterling; and Ida, wife of Caleb Shultz, in the produce business at Milledgeville.
John H. Mensch remained under the parental roof until he attained his majority, and then started out in life for himself as a farmer in Hopkins township. On the 21st of February, 1882, he was united in marriage with Miss Sarah Howell, by whom he had two children, Ada, born July 1, 1884; and Lloyd, born September 11, 1888. The wife and mother died in October, 1894, and on the 4th of November, 1896, Mr. Mensch was again married, hissecond union being with Mrs. May Slininger, who was born February 29, 1868, a daughter of Elwood and Rhoda Elliott. By the second marriage there is one child. Lora, born February 28, 1897. Mrs. Mensch had two children by her former marriage, but only the younger is now living. Julia, who hwas born December 21, 1891.
In 1893, Mr. Mensch purchased his present fine farm in Newton township, which comprises one hundred and sixty acres of rich and arable land, which he has placed under a high state of cultivation, and upon which he has made many improvements. He is successfully engaged in general farming and stock raising, keeping on hand enough stock to consume all of the grain which he raises. He is an energetic and progressive farmer, and as a businessman he generally carries forward to successful completion whatever he undertakes. He casts his ballot in support of the men and measures of the Republican party, and socially is a member of the Home Forum and is also a member of the Philadelphia Mutual Life. [Contributed by: Mike Hosler Whiteside County Biographical Record 1900]
Farmer, section r 8, Hopkins Township, is a son of John and Christiana (Heinbach) Mensch, who were natives of Pennsylvania and of German descent, and passed their entire lives in that State. They lad a family of nine children who lived to grow up, namely: Sarah, Michael, Eliza, Jesse, Christian, Maria, William, Catherine and Abby.
William, the subject of this sketch, was born in Columbia Co., Pa., April 3, 1826. He lived in his native State till 1860, where he followed farming, and in the spring of that year came to Whiteside County and bought 165 acres of land in Hopkins Township, on section 18, where he settled and has since lived. He is now the owner of 337 acres, most of which is well cultivated. He has erected fine buildings on his farm, and in many ways enhanced its value. He was married in Columbia Co., Pa., about Dec. 26, 1847, to Anna C. Leiby, who was born in Columbia Co., Pa, Jan. 9, 1826. She was a daughter of Jacob and Mary (Harmon) Leiby, who were also natives of the Keystone State. They had a family of 12 children, namely: Reuben, Mary, David, Rebecca, Jacob, Isaac, Samuel, Anna C, John, Emeline, Harriet and Ira Jackson. Mr. and Mrs. M. have had 16 children, ten surviving: Martin L., William A., Eva, John H., Alice, Harriet, Jacob M., Clarence H., Laura J. and Ida are living, and Maria, Emetine, Lovina, Mary M., Sarah C. and Ellen M. are deceased.
Mr. Mensch has been Overseer of Highways,School Director and Highway Commissioner. Mr. and Mrs. M. arc members of the German Lutheran Church. In politics, Mr. Mensch is identified with the Democratic party. [Whiteside Co History, Biographical and Portrait 1885]
Of Coloma Township
Noah Merrill was born in Smithfield, Connecticut, June 8, 1809. His early life was passed in New York and Ohio. In 1837 he settled near Rock Falls, south of the river and opposite Eagle Island. He built a cabin 12 x 15 feet covered with bark and provided with a puncheon floor. Mr Merrill and his family first lived with Mr. Daniel Brooks who then resided where the portion of Rock Falls, now called "Gopher Town" is. The united families numbered eleven souls, and one bed and the floor furnished sleeping accommodations for all. As the women were sisters the families lived upon peaceable terms. In 1838 Mr. Merrill and family settled in their own cabin and broke several acres of prairie. The same land had been claimed by Elijah Worthington of Harrisburg, his claim having been made by plowing around the land. The anti-claim jumpers association upon the north side of the river, through a committee, notified Mr. Merrill that he must abandon the claim under penalty of having his cabin, himself, and family thrown into the river. This gentle demand, Mr. Merrill decided to resist, and in company with Mr. Daniel Brooks secured arms and awaited the visitors, but they came not. Mr Merrill sold his claim and afterwards owned several farms in the neighborhood and worked at this trade in Harrisburg until 1850, when he went to California and suffered great hardships. After a stay of four years on the Pacific coast he returned to Sterling where he now resides. Mr Merrill was married to Miss Amanda Lewis in New York, September 5 1829. Children: Alamanza, born June 11 1831; Seth R, born December 19 1832; Zelemma born October 24 1835; Nelson B, born November 6, 1838. Mr Merrill died December 22, 1873 aged 63 years. [Bent & Wilson History of Whiteside County IL, 1877, Pg 130]
BACK -- HOME
© Copyright Genealogy Trails