JOHN C. PADDOCK
OF Hume Township
John C. Paddock is a native of the town of Lee, Oneida county, New was born in 1833, and in November, 1851, came to Whiteside county with his father, the latter settling on section 24, in Prophetstown township. In 1866 he purchased three hundred and twenty acres on sections 21 and 28 in the township of Hume, all of which lies in a body. Mr. Paddock married Miss Mary E. Besse, on the 25th of December, 1855, the children of this marriage being: Fred, Nellie, and Quincy, all of whom reside at home. He was Deputy Sheriff of Whiteside county under Robert G. Clendenin, and has served four years each as Supervisor and Justice of the Peace, of Hume township. He was also the candidate of the Democratic and Liberal parties for Sheriff, in 1872, without seeking the nomination, and polled a large vote. Mr. Paddock's name was the only one mentioned in either convention, for the position. He has lately become a resident of Prophetstown, having rented his farm in Hume. [Bent & Wilson History of Whiteside County Page 241]
NEWELL W. PADDOCK
Newell W. Paddock, a farmer, residing on section 7, Prophetstown Township, is a son of Chauncey and Lucy Paddock, and was born in Lewis Co., N.Y., April 20, 1851. The same year that witnessed the birth of Mr. Paddock, his parents’ family came to prophetstown Township, this county, and located on the Paddock Bottoms, two miles northeast of Prophetstown. In December, 1870, the family moved to the homestead on which they at present reside. In the fall of 1875, Mr. Paddock, in company with his two brothers, bought the homestead, consisting of 280 acres of find and improved land, on which Mr. Paddock at present resides. Mr. Paddock was united in marriage in Portland Township, this county, Sept. 6, 1876, to Miss Laura E Brydia, daughter Sidney and Lucy Brydia. She was born in the township in which she was married. Her parents came to this county about 1850. Her father died in Portland Township, and her mother still resides on the old homestead. [Contributed by Marji Turner; Whiteside County History, 1880; Pg 554]
ZACHARIAH DARWIN PADDOCK
Rev. Zachariah Darwin Paddock, deceased, formerly of Albany, was born Feb. 3, 1819, in the town of Warren, Herkimer Co., N. Y., and was the son of Thomas and Amanda (Harrison) Paddock. The Paddock family is traditionally of Welsh origin. The progenitors of the branches in America came from England to Plymouth, Mass., in 1630, and all the representatives of the name in the United States trace their origin to the two brothers who were among the earliest comers to New England. A volume now in the possession of the family of Mr. Paddock gives these particulars, which are authentic. The book is entitled the "Biography of Rev. B. G. Paddock, by Z. Paddock." Little has been preserved concerning the branch of the Harrison family to which Mrs. Paddock belonged; but it is known that the family of the President was wealthy and distinguished. Her grandfather’s generation was cotemporary with Washington, and was in the same social scale. Benjamin Harrison, her father’s uncle, was a candidate with John Hancock for the position of Speaker in the celebrated Congress of 1775. The author of the work and its subject were brothers, and were uncles of Mr. Paddock of this account. They were both ministers of the Methodist Episcopal Church. They were circuit preachers in New York and in the northern part of Pennsylvania, where the elder labored more than 60 years. The younger was in active ministerial life for more than half a century. The number of Paddocks in this country is legion, and a large percentage have been and still are clergymen, a fact which has been instrumental in bringing every successive generation into prominence. During his early youth Mr. Paddock determined on his prospective career, and resolved to secure the advantages of a liberal education. At 17 his mind was sufficiently stored to begin teaching, and in the course of the next two years he had secured the means of defraying his expenses at the seminary in Cazenovia, N. Y., where he took a preparatory curse of study, extending through the terms of two years. He matriculated at Hamilton College, in Clinton, Oneida Co., N. Y., where he was graduated at the age of 27, with the honors of his class. He had previously been licensed to preach, and he officiated one year during his collegiate course at Palmyra, N. Y. His first charge after leaving college was at Homer, Cortland Co., N.Y., where he officiated two years, after which he passed a year at Chittenango, in the same State. His successive appointments were at Cardiff, where he preached two years; Onondaga Valley, one year; Slatersville, one year; Port Byron, two years; and Fleming, one year. In August 1856, he came to Illinois, and supplied an appointment in Genesse Township one year. In 1857 he joined the Rock River Conference, and was stationed at Sterling, where he preached two years. Subsequently he preached on year at Millegeville, Carroll County, and at Palo, Ogle County, one year.
During the first year of his residence in Whiteside County, he had purchased land in Hopkins Township, and on leaving Palo he took possession of his property, which he had hitherto managed with the aid of hired assistants and renters. He conducted his agricultural labors one year, renewing health and strength; and, on resuming his ministerial labors, he was placed in charge was at Prophetstown, where he continued two years, and he passed a similar period of time at Evanston, Cook county, engaged in business of a secular character. He went to Nebraska, where he secured a homestead claim in Johnson County, and joined the Nebraska Conference. He preached one year in Tecumseh, and in 1869 returned to Illinois. In 1870 he rejoined the Rock River conference, and preached in the Methodist Episcopal Church at Albany two years. He was subsequently attached to the Light-House Circuit in Ogle County, two years, going thence to Albany, where he fixed his residence, and officiated three years at Erie. He then withdrew from the Methodist Conference, and engaged in fruit-growing. In 1879 he was appointed Postmaster at Albany, and, in company with his son, became interested in the sale of groceries and provisions, in which business he was actively engaged until his death, which occurred July 13, 1883.
Mr. Paddock was joined in marriage in July, 1846, to Caroline M. Thompson. She was born March 16, 1821, in Hamilton, Madison Co., N.Y. Their children, five in number, were named Charles B., Mary L., Ellen A., John T., and Carrie A. L. the oldest sonw as b orn July 20, 1846, in Homer Courtland County, N. Y., and was but nine years of age when his parents came to Whiteside County. He received his education in the public schools, and at the age of 16 years was placed in charge of a flock of sheep which his father owned. He went to Nebraska with the family, and returned with them to Albany, continuing one of the members of the paternal household until 1869. In that year he engaged in the culture of small fruits. In 1881 he was made Assistant Postmaster, and succeeded to the position of his father at the death of the later. He was married Jan. 1, 1873, to Irene M., youngest daughter of Lyman and Susan (Latham) Bennett. Their children are Alice J., and Clarence L. B. T.
Mrs. Paddock, the mother, survives her husband, and the youngest daughter resides with her, as does her son, John T., who is the head of the family, and is a merchant at Albany; Mary L., married Solon L. Marlowe, and lives at Galena,Kan.; he is a mail agent; Ellen A. is the wife of Chester S. Slocumb. Full biographies of the Slocumb and Bennett families may be found elsewhere in this volume. [Contributed by Marji Turner; Whiteside County History, 1880, Pg 676]
WILLIAM C. PAGE
William C. Page, of Sterling, is a hatter by trade, but is now retired from active business. He was born in York Co., Maine, July 31, 1810, his parents being Samuel and Sophia ( Goddard ) Page. He received a common-school education, and at the age of 17 years left home and served a four-years apprenticeship in learning the hatters trade. Shortly after the expiration of this term, he opened a shop at New Market, N. H., where he followed his trade six years; selling out, he removed to Exeter, that State, and followed the business four years; went next to Kennebec, Maine, purchased a farm and managed that for 11 years, in connection with following his trade; selling out, he went to Haverhill, Mass., where he was employed in the manufacture of flannel three years; then he went to North Berwick and in company with two others purchased a factory, which they ran for three years, manufacturing woolen blankets for calico printers; selling out his interest in the latter, in 1857, he came to Sterling and opened a lumber-yard, since which time he has been engaged in milling and farming. He is succeeding well in his business, and is a prominent citizen of the county. Politically, he indorses Republican politics, and religiously he is a member of the Congregational Church.
Mr. Page was married in January, 1833, to Miss Dorcas Felker, a native of New Hampshire, and they have had six children, two only of whom are now living, Harriet N. and Soviah. Mrs. Page died Dec. 20, 1872, and in 1874 Mr. Page married again, this time wedding Jane Stackpole, also a native of the old Granite State. She died in August, 1884. [Portraits & Biographical Whiteside County IL 1885]
WILLIAM P. PALMER
Of Sterling, IL
William P. Palmer, grain, coal and lumber merchant, at Sterling, was born in Franklin Co PA Oct. 9, 1846. His parents, Jonas C. and Catharine (Fleck) Palmer, were also natives of that State; his father was a farmer by vocation.
After obtaining a district-school education, the subject of this notice, at the age of 19 years, attended the Iron City College at Pittsburg for a period of six months. At the age of 20 he left home and for a year was clerk in a grain house at Chambersurg, then until 1877 he was a member of the firm of Keefer, Palmer & Co., dealing in grain, coal, and agricultural implements. Then selling out his interest in the latter business, he came to Sterling and assumed charge of the interests of the Langford & Hall Lumber Company. Two years afterward he bought them out, and since then he has managed the business alone. He is a successful and enterprising business man, shrewd and well qualified for public trusts. Politically, he is a Republican, and religiously a member of the Presbyterian Church of Sterling, as is also his wife: both were members of the First Reformed Church in Chambersburg, Pa. He is a member of the Order of Masonry, Legion of Honor and Knights of Pythias. He is also a member of the Wallace School Board, and in the municipality he is at present the Chairman of the committtee on Streets and Alleys. In the spring of 1865, he married Maggie B. a daughter of Michael and Mary (Bear) Rutt, and of Pennsylvanian nativity, born in 1866. Mr. and Mrs. Palmer have four children: Bertie, Minnie, John G. and Bessie. The last named died at three years of age. [Portrait & Biographical; 1885, Pg 267]
OF Genesee Township
Watson Parish was born in VA. His father was in the war of 1812, and died in the military hospital twelve miles below Richmond. The mother and the rest of the family emigrated to Mercer county Kentucky, in the fall of 1815, and remained there until 1837, when they went to Dyer county, Tennessee, remaining there until the spring of 1839. Mr Parish married Louisa Demint. In June 1839, he emigrated to Illinois and settled in Genesee Grove. Children: William C, Elias, Augustine, Sampson, Watson, Sarah, Harrison H, Amanda L, Mary E. Mrs. Parish died in 1847 and soon after Mr Parish again married. The children by his second wife are John R, Isam S, Francis M. Mr. Parish's second wife died and he married his third wife. The children of the 3rd marriage: Hattie G, Amy M , Clara M. William C died in the army November 29, 1861; Elias lives in Johnson County NE, Augustine lives in Butte Co CA, Watson resides in NE. Sarah married Isaac N Thorp who enlisted in the army and was drowned January 3 1865; Clara M died in 1865. Mr. Parish has been extensively known as a successful auctioneer. [Bent & Wilson History of Whiteside County Page 229]
of Garden Plain Twp.
Abel Parker, deceased, was the first permanent settler in the township of Garden Plain. He located in a grove, which has since borne his name, adopting the prevalent sentiment of the pioneers of the
prairies by selecting a situation in the timber. Mr. Parker was, presumably, a native of Connecticut, where it is certain his parents, Abel and Elinor Parker were born. They were pioneers of Poultney, Rutland Co., Vt. Later, the senior Parker bought a mill property in the adjoining town of Wells, where he pursued his business until his removal to Illinois in 1836. On the 30th day of June he started, with his wife and nine children, to Whiteside County, traveling with two pair of horses and two wagons. The party remained at Naperville two weeks, after which they proceeded to Garden Plain Township, where they arrived August 29th. The household effects were sent by the lake route, in charge of Jacob L. Parker, the second son. The location of the claim of Abel Parker was on Section 25, township 21, range 3.He was born Aug. 21, 1772. Clarissa Stephens became his wife April 18, 1799 and their children, six in number, were named Horace, Lydia, Abel, Betsey, Willard and Sarah. The mother died Oct. 12, 1810. Abel Parker was again maried March 7, 1811 to Eleanor Howe, and they had 10 children; David is deceased; Jacob L. is deceased, and is represented in this volume by a personal narration, furnished by his son, James L.; Phoebe is deceased; Clarissa L. and Eliza T. are among the survivors, as is Francis; Erminia is deceased; Edwin and Hiram are famous in Garden Plain Township and sketches of them may be found elsewhere in this work. Mrs. Parker was born Nov. 1, 1789 and died Oct. 29, 1869. Abel Parker died Nov. 25, 1839. [Portrait & Biographical, 1885, Pg. 616]
CHARLES D. PARKER
Of Garden Plain Township
Charles D. Parker, farmer and breeder of Short-Horn cattle and Jersey Red swine, at Fulton, is a native of this county. He was born in Garden Plain Township, July 12, 1853. His parents were David and Elizabeth (Shurtleff) Parker, and were among the very earliest pioneers of this county. Charles D. was educated in the public schools and brought up on his father's farm. He was married in Fulton, Jan. 6, 1876 to Miss Amanda Sutherland, daughter of Peter M. and Mary Sutherland. Mrs. Parker was born in Poughkeepsie NY. They have on e child, a son, named Carl S., who was born in Garden Plain, Feb. 12, 1877. Mr. Parker has had charge of the estate since his father's death, which included 554 acres. Of this the major portion is in tillage, and the place is well stocked with herds of cattle, comprising 40 thoroughbreds and about 150 grades of a valuable type. The demands of the estate require 20 horses, and there is a dairy of 20 cows. The hogs on the place average about 150 yearly, and Mr. Parker exhibits 20 thoroughbred Jersey Reds. The estate has five dwellings with three tenants. The farm buildings are of excellent character. He has added 240 acres to its extent, amking the total area of the estate lying in Garden Plain Twp. 794 acres. He moved to Fulton City in April 1885. Mr. Parker has been chosen to fill various offices, the duites of which he has discharged with marked fidelity. He served three terms in the County Board as Supervisor from Garden Plain, for the years 1882-3-4. He has also served as Commissioner of Highways, School Director and in other minor offices. He is an enthusiastic Republican, and has taken an active part in local politics. He has been a member of the County Central Committee eight years, and has also served several times on the Executive Committee. He was a delegate to the State Republican Conventions of 1880 and 1882. He was one of the charter members of Invincible Lodge, No. 220 of the United Workmen, and served as its first Master. Mr. Parker has been Vice-President of the Whiteside Central Agricultural Society two years, and on the death of Hon. R.E. Logan, in 1885, was his successor. [Portrait and Biographical Whiteside Co IL 1885 Pg 381]
OF Garden Plain Township
David Parker, deceased, formerly a resident of Garden Plain Township, came to Whiteside County in 1836. His father, Abel Parker. was the pioneer of the territory now designated Garden Plain Township, whither he came in August of that year and built a cabin on a claim in the timber, situated on section 25, and afterwards known as "Parker's Grove," and whither he removed his six Sons and three daughters soon after located, serving as a haven of rest and comfort for the hungry and weary travelers who sought this portion of Northwestern Illinois. The place bore no distinctive mark as a hostelry, but a post in its vicinity, bearing the painted inscription "Parker's," was the guaranty to a wearied traveler that food to appease his hunger, and a bed whereon to rest his tired frame, were close at hand. It served the same purpose until 1865, a period of 25 years.
David Parker died Feb. 20, 1876. His life of nearly 40 years' duration in Garden Plain Township was one of honorable, useful effort, and he reaped substantial reward in his accumulations and a permanent place in the memory of the people whose interests and well-being he never forgot. His relations with the public were based on the principle that whatever substantiates the general interest is the best possible safeguard of individual prosperity. At the time of his death he owned 480 acres of land in the township of Garden Plain, which was all in fine agricultural condition. He was also the owner of 74 acres of valuable timber in the same town and a considerable acreage in IA and MN. The thrift and industry, which are the leading traits of the agricultural element of his native State, characterized his noble life, and he had the peculiar aversion to holding office which is a marked characteristic of the class to which he belonged by birth and descent. When the school matters of Garden Plain Township were adjusted, he was made one of the first three Directors in the township, and that was the only official position he could ever be induced to hold.
He was always what was called "forehanded," and operated in a private way as a banker, making loans and dealing in financial paper. He was no usurer, and never in all his transactions took advantage of another's pressing need to secure his own interest. It was common with him to say, "I only want my 10 per cent." He was careful concerning security, but he never pressed a debtor to extremity. He never foreclosed a mortgage, or refused time to enable a delinquent to meet his obligations. After his death, outlawed notes were found among his papers, which were made by perfectly good and responsible parties, and could have been collected without difficulty, but which, for reasons known only to himself, he had suffered to become null. In political sentiment he was an earnest Republican from the organization of that party to the day of his death. Mr. Parker was married in Garden Plain Township, June 1, 1852, to Elizabeth, daughter of Ichabod and and Mehitable (Kempton) Shurtleff. Mrs. Parker was born May 1, 1822, in Orleans Co., Vt. Three sons and a daughter were born to David Parker and his wife. Charles D. married Amanda Sutherland, and has lately become a citizen and business man at Fulton. Henry L. died when six years old. Lizzie and Herbert live at Fuiton with their mother. In January, 1881, they started with her on a European trip, which consumed two and a half years, and during that time they visited England, France, Switzerland, Italy and Germany. Mrs. Parker fixed her residence at Fulton in 1876, soon after the death of her husband. She is one of the pioneer women of Whiteside County, where she is widely and favorably known. She participated in the hardships incident to the early settlement of this Western country, cheerfully aiding her husband in his undertakings and contributing largely to his success. She is a member of the Presbyterian Church of Garden Plain. [Portrait and Biographical Whiteside Co IL Pg 377]
DAVID PARKER was born in Wells, Rutland county, Vermont, December 12, 1811, and came with his father, Abel Parker to Whiteside county in 1836. He was married to Miss Elizabeth Shurtleff, in Garden Plain, the children of the marriage being; Charles D., Henry L., Lizzie, and Herbert. Charles D married Miss Amanda Sutherland, at Fulton, January 6, 1876, and lives on the old homestead at Garden Plain Corners; Henry L is dead, and Lizzie and Herbert live at Fulton. At the death of Abel Parker, David, being the eldest son at home, took charge of the estate. He was always a careful manager, a thrifty, hard working man, and during his lifetime accumulated a large property, owning at the time of his death four hundred and eighty acres of finely cultivated farm land, and seventy- four of timber. Mr Parker could not be induced to accept office, preferring to attend strictly to his private business. He died February 10, 1875. [Bent & Wilson History of Whiteside County, Page 213]
Garden Plain Township
DeLos Parker is a farmer on section 28, Garden Plain Twp. He was born April 14, 1835 in Wells, Rutland Co., Vt., and is the grandson of Abel Parker, the first settler of Garden plain. He is the second son of Abel, Jr., and Amanda (Goodspeed) Parker. His parents were among the earliest settlers of Rutland Co. VT. Ansel Goodspeed, his maternal grandfather, was Town Clerk of Wells 46 consecutive years. He was also a Justice of the Peace and a Representative in the General Assembly of the Green Mountain State. He wsa born in Barnstable, Mass.
Mr. Parker was brought up on his father's farm, and educated in the public schools of his native town. At 14 he engaged with a carpenter and joiner to acquire a knowledge of the business in which he was employed two years. He then clerked one year in a drug store. In 1853 he came West to find a home and business. At Chicago he entered the employ of the Chicago & Galena Railroad corportaion, in whose interests he operated until the spring of 1855, when he came to Whiteside COunty, and worked at the business of a carpenter one year. He then engaged in mercantile affairs at Garden Plain Corners. In 1860 he sold out and went overland to Pike's Peak, arriving at his destination after about 60 days travel. He spent a few months in prospecting and mining and returned home on account of ill health. He turned his attention to agricultural pursuits and in 1863 bought a farm on the southeast quarter of section 28. The place was under partial improvement, having a small frame house and a few acres of prairie, which had been plowed. The place is now supplied with a valuable set of farm buildings, trees and shrubs of different varieties. The proprietor is engaged in mixed husbandry, and is interested in raising cattle and sheep, and also in conducting a dairy.
Mr. Parker was married Dec. 25, 1860 to Mary E. daughter of Jacob L. and Rosina (Baker) Parker, and they have six children; Wilbur, Harry J., Fred L., Jessie E., Albert J. and Nellie Edith. Minnie died in infancy. Mr. Parker is the representative of the children of the first marriage of his grandfather, Abel Parker. [Portraits & Biographical, Pg 606]
Edwin Parker, a prosperous farmer on section 22, Garden Plain Township. He is the second youngest son of Abel and Eleanor (Howe) Parker. (Sketch of his parents to be found elsewhere in this volume.) He was born June 14, 1831, in Wells, Rutland Co., Vt., and accompanied his parents to Whiteside County when he was five years of age. He grew to manhood in Garden Plain Township, where he was a pupil in the pioneer schools. His father died in 1839, and he lived with his mother until his marriage, which occurred March 17,1858. He was united in marriage to Mary J., daughter of Mark and Sarah (Grinnell) Dewey, who were natives of Massachusetts. Mrs. Parker was born in Great Barrington, Berkshire Co., Mass.
Previous to his marriage, Mr. Parker had bought 160 acres of unimproved land on section 22, and he took possession of the place on the occurrence of that event, and has since pushed his agricultural operations thereon. Fannie M., Phoebe S., Cora L., Mary L., Gertrude H. and Ruth are the names of the children of Mr. and Mrs. Parker. Phoebe S. is a teacher; Cora is the wife of R. G. Knapp and lives in Clark Co., D. T.; Fannie married Daniel Stone, of Garden Plain. [Transcribed by Christine Walters from Portrait and Biographical, 1885, Pg 753]
Of Garden Plain Twp.
Hiram Parker, a farmer on section 25, Garden Plain Township, is the youngest son of Abel and Eleanor (Howe) Parker, pioneers of Whiteside County of 1836, of whom a sketch appears on another page. He was born July 18, 1833, in the town of Wells, Rutland Co., Vt., and when he was three years of age, in company with his parents, he came to Whiteside County, where he was reared on his father’s farm, and was educated in the common schools. His father died in 1839, and he lived with his mother and brothers until 1863, when he bought the interest of the other heirs in the homested of his parents. On this he has since resided and continued the work of improvement. He has erected a good set of farm buildings and has an exceptionally pleasant home. Mr. Parker was married Feb. 19, 1873, to Emily A. DeGraff. She was born in Dutchess Co., N.Y., and is descended from French ancestry. Her progenitors were among the earliest settlers of her native country. [Portrait & Biographical 1885, Pg. 791]
JACOB L. PARKER
Of Garden Plain Twp.
Jacob L. Parker, deceased, formerly a farmer of Garden Plain Township, was the second son of Abel and Eleanor (Howe) Parker. He was born Feb. 27, 1814 in the town of Wells, Rutland Co. VT. He was an operator in a woolen mill in his native town and was engaged in the same establishment, coloring and fulling cloth, until 1836. In that year the family removed to Whiteside County. Jacob was next the oldest and came on the lakes in charge of the household fixtures. On his arrival in Illinois, he made a claim on section 15 of Garden Plain, but made his home with his parents until he was married. He was a mechanic by natural gift, having an intuitive knowledge of the use of tools, and he found general employ as a carpenter and in repairs of various kinds.
He was united in marriage in March, 1839 to Elizabeth, daughter of THomas and Nancy (Carpenter) Baker. She was born Aug. 17, 1823 in Queen Anne Co. MD. David Parker, the older brother of Mr. Parker, had a claim on section 15, on which a log-house had been built, and of this the newly married people took possession. A year later, Mr. Parker built a hewn-log house, which then constituted the aristocratic type of dwelling, and on its completion took possession with his family. Some of the earliest religious services held in the township were conducted in the same building. Mr. Parker had commenced the improvements on his land, and after moving into his house, devoted his entire attention to placing his estate under good cultivation. He erected suitable buildings as time advanced, and at the time of his decease the property had greatly advanced. He died Mach 4, 1881. Mr. and Mrs. Parker had six children - Mary Eleanor the wife of Delos Parker, of Garden Plain; Hiram lives in central City Col; James L. resides at home; Edwin lives in Sanborn, O' Brien Co., Iowa; Evaline is the wife of John Hodges; Lizzie died in infancy. [Portrait & Biographical, 1885, Pg. 754]
Of Garden Plain Township
Truman Parker, farmer, section 23, Garden Plain Twp. is the third son of Abel and Eleanor (Howe) Parker. He was born Nov. 30, 1816 in Wells, Rutland Co. VT. His father was a miller, and on attaining to a suitable age, Mr. Parker became his assistant, working on the homestead when leisure afforded an opportunity or necessity decreed.He accompanied them in 1836 to Whiteside Co. IL. As early as possible he secured a claim on sections 15 and 22 in Garden Plain Twp. and entered the same in 1839, when the land came into market. He at once entered upon the work of improvement, and associated with his brother David, erected a dwelling, of which they were joint occupants some time.
In 1852, having assumed the responsibilities of matrimony, he built a stone house on the northeast corner of section 22, which has since been his home. He has been uninterruptedly engaged in agricultural pursuits. He has been a participant in the development of the township of Garden Plain from the days of its pioneer history, and was an actor in the varied events of the days of first things. He drove the team on the first threshing machine that was used in his township.
Mr. Parker was married Jan. 15, 1852 to Emma, daughter of Thomas & Elizabeth (Hazel) James. She was born Dec. 18, 1828 near Bristol England and came when 13 to America. The children of Mr. and Mrs. Parker are three in number; Ella L. married P. Willis, and they live in Marshall, Lyon Co MN; Walter V. married Emma Knapp and lives on the west of his father's farm; Arthur T. is the name of the youngest. [Portrait and Biographical Whiteside Co IL, 1885, Pg 752]
William Parker, editor and proprietor of the Rock Falls News, is a native of Maysville, KY born in 1835, and is a descendant of the pioneers of that state. Commenced the printing business at the age of 15 and served three years in the office of the Ripley bee, at Ripley, Ohio, afterwards served two years in the job office of the Cincinnati Enquirer. He came to IL in 1855 and commenced the publication of a paper at Salem in Marion County and has been steadily engaged in the business ever since. Mr. Parker entered the volunteer service of the US army as Lt. of Co. A, 75th IL Vol. Inf. at Dixon in 1862 and served till the close of the war being promoted as Captain soon after going to the front. After the war closed he was commissioned Brevet Lt. Col. for meritorious services on the field. He came from Old Kentucky "emancipation" Whig stock, joined the Republican party at it organization. Mr. Parker was married in Salem to Miss Ella Bond, in 1856. Miss Anna F. parker, thier only living child is interested with her father in the publication of the News. Both self and wife are of Presbyterian and Congregational stock. He is Senior Vice Commander of WIll Robinson Post No. 274, G.A. R. and has been twice elected to the State Encampment of that order. [Portraits & Biographical, Pg 230]
CHARLES L. PARKHURST
Charles L. Parkhurst has been a business man at Lyndon since 1873, when he purchased a stock of hardware of the Manning estate, his purchase inciuding a frame building. In 1882 he bought. the Coburn building, which he moved and attached to the structure in which he was then managing his hardware business and the sale of agricultural implements. He added the sale of groceries, glass, crockery, boots, shoes, wall-paper, patent medicines and school-books, and has since actively prosecuted the miscellaneous details of his business. Mr. Parkhurst was born March 27, 1840, in Siloam, Madison Co., N. V. His parents, Uzual and Mary (Curtis) Parkhurst, were born in New York. His mother died when he was four years old, and at 12 years of age he became a farm assistant near Oswego, where he obtained employment at $5 a month. Eighteen months afterward, in 1854, he came to Whiteside County, having a brother-in-law, George B. Day, at Round Grove. He remained with his relatives six months, when he engaged as a clerk with Scott & Russell in the sale of groceries and hardware and operated in their interests one year. He thep went to Morrison, where he was employed three years in a restaurant. Sept. 17, 1861 he enlisted in Company B, 34th Ill. Vol. Inf. In his service, which covered a period of three years, he was a participant in the battles of Shiloh, Corinth and Stone River. He was captured by the Rebels at the last named and was taken to Libby prison at Richmond. He was paroled six months later, and went to St. Louis, where he remained until exchanged. He rejoined his command at Murfreesboro and was in action at Atlanta and Joneshoro. He was discharged Sept. 17, 1864, at Atlanta, and returned to Whiteside County. He engaged in farming, but was compelled by poor health to devote his attention to other employ. In 1867 he embarked in a mercantile enterprise at Erie, in which he was interested at that point one year, removing in 1868 to Sterling. He prosecuted the same business there one year and went thence to Round Grove, whence he transferred his relations to Lyndon in 1873, as stated. Mr. Parkhurst is engaged in the active prosecution of a popular and successful trade, for which he is fitted by nature and training. He was married to Elizabeth Shoeman in 1865, and they have had eight children - Burtie, William, Ceola, Matie, Frank, Freddie, Jennie and Winnie. Freddie died in infancy. [Portrait & Biographical History of Whiteside Co, 1885]
Of Lyndon, IL
Parmenter Brothers of Lyndon, represent one of the heaviest business interests of that place. The firm is composed of George H. and Allen E. parmenter, sons of John G. and Harriet (Wait) Parmenter. John G. was only seven years of age when his parents came to IL. He was married in 1851 in Rock Island Co. The family includes four children. Sophia was born in 1856 and married Albert Brunner of Holdredge Neb. where she died April 9, 1885.
George H. the eldest son, was born March 30, 1852 in Edgington, Rock Island Co IL and was brought up on his father's farm. In December 1875 he married Amanda Debord, who wa sborn in Peoria IL. He engaged in farming in his native township, where he operated until 1882, when he came to Lyndon and purchased the business which he is now conducting in company with his brother.
Allen E. Parmenter was born Dec. 20, 1853. When 20 years of age he went to Mercer Co IL and engaged as a clerk in a general mercantile establishment at Hamlet, where he operated six years. In 1879, he came to Lyndon.
Charles was born Dec. 19, 1858 in Edgington and obtained a fair education in the common schools and one year at the academy at Fulton. In 1879 he engaged in teaching at Osborne Station, in his native county. He came to Lyndon in December 1882 and January 29, 1884 he was appointed Postmaster of Lyndon. The postoffice is in his brother's store. The firm of Parmenter Bros. is engaged in an extensive and popular trade in dry goods, druggist sundries, boots and shoes, groceries, etc. [1885 Portrait and Biographical of Whiteside Co Pg. 777]
JOHN C. PARNHAM
John C. Parnham, farmer, section 27, Ustick Township, is the son of John and Mary (Craven) Parnham, whose family comprised six children, live of whom were younger than the subject of this sketch. They were born in the order in which their names are here given : Elizabeth, Sarah, Ann (1st), Charles and Ann (2d). The fourth child is dead. Mr. Parnham was born in England, where his parents passed their entire lives. His birth occurred Nov. 11, 1836, and he was 19 years of age when he came from his native country to the United States. He located in Lyndon Township, Whiteside Co., where he rented farms until 1867, the year in which he removed to 200 acres which he had purchased in Ustick Township, and where he fixed his homestead. He was married in Lyndon Township to the widow of Alfred Parnham, Mrs. Jane (Ridley) Parnham. Her first husband died June 5, 1860, from injuries received in the tornado of June 3, two days before. The house in which the family lived was torn to atoms by the fearful storm which crossed from Iowa and struck the western side of Whiteside County, just at evening on Sunday, June 3, 1860. The two children, Charles and William A., were in bed, and after the storm had passed the first child was found dead some distance from the house. Mrs. Parnham was born June 25, 1833, in England, and is the daughter of John and Elizabeth (Rush) Ridley, whose family included six children. The brothers and sister of Mrs. Parnham are John R., Joseph, Matthew, Charles and Elizabeth. By her second marriage Mrs. Parnham has three children—Lydia A., Katie M. and Gertie A. She and her husband belong to the Methodist Episcopal Church. Mr. Parnham is a Prohibitionist in temperance principle. He has always been a Republican, and is now serving his third year as Road Commissioner. [Portraits & Biographical Whiteside County IL 1885]
J. DEVERAUX PARRISH
J. Deveraux Parrish, insurance agent and special agent and adjuster for Northern Illinois, for the Home and Fire Insurance Company of New York, has his office in Prophetstown. He is a son of Oliver and Amanda M. (Deveraux) Parish, and was born in Genesee Co., N. Y., Dec. 26, 1845. His father was a farmer by occupation, and was Sheriff of that county a number of years, and held numerous other offices. Both parents are deceased.
Mr. Parish attended the common schools of his native county, and afterward the Alexander and Oakfield Academies, and then attended the Hamilton College two years. He then engaged with the Michigan Southern Railroad in the capacity of Civil Engineer, and remained with them for two or three years, and continued to follow the business, working for the Chicago, Burlington & Quincy and the Sheboygan & Fond du Lac Railroad Companies from 1865 to 1871. In 1870 he came to Prophetstown as Civil Engineer for the Chicago, Burlington & Quincy Railroad, and in 1871 he opened a store in company with Benjamin Robinson, which they continued to successfully conduct for a period of five years and over. He then sold his interest and engaged in the insurance business, in which he has since been interested. He has a number of leading fire insurance companies, which he represents, among which are the Home of New York, Phoenix of Hartford, Firemen's Fund, Sun of London, Commercial Union, American of Philadelphia, German of Peoria, and American Central of St. Louis. He does the principal portion of the business of this section of the county, and is also engaged to a considerable extent in the real-estate and loan business. He owns his nice residence in Prophetstown and one block on the south side of the railroad. Mr. Parish is also a Notary Public; also a Freemason, belonging to Blue Lodge, and Chapter 173, Sterling Commandery, No. 57; is a Knight Templar and belongs to the Order of Odd Fellows, having passed all the chairs; is a member of the A. O. U. W. and also of the Order of Modern Woodmen of America.
Mr. Parish was united in marriage in Prophetstown, Aug. 10, 1871, to Miss Libbie Robinson. She is a daughter of Benjamin and Fanny Robinson, and was born in Prophetstown, March 11, 1848. One daughter, Lute R., was born to them Sept. 28, 1875. The parents of Mrs. Parish were among the early settlers of the county, coming here in 1843. Her father is deceased and her mother is still living in Prophetstown.
Mr. Parish was City Clerk for a number of years, until May 1, 1885. He took the census of 1880 and is and has been for a number of years the township representative on the County Republican Central Committee, of which he was secretary. He is also one of the Directors of the Whiteside County Central Agricultural Society of Morrison. In 1880 he was one of the editors and proprietors of the Walnut Motor, of Bureau County, Ill., the firm being Parish & Wilde. He was also Secretary of the Prophetstown Driving Park Association two years. He has been an active Republican worker in local politics. In the 32d General Assembly he was Secretary of the Revenue Committee. In April, 1885, he took control of the State of Nebraska for the Home Insurance Company of New York, in its farm department as superintendent, with an office at Lincoln. Is also interested in the firm of Parish Bros., in Denver, Col. [Portraits & Biographical, Whiteside County IL, 1885]
OF Mt Pleasant Township
John D. Paschal was born in 1805 in North Carolina. When a child was taken to Tennessee; thence moved to Morgan county, Illinois. In 1835 he emigrated to the township now Mt. Pleasant, and made his first claim on Section 16, it being a school section. A law of Congress provided that all persons who should settle upon school sections in the townships of Illinois should be entitled to "floating pre-emption," therefore Mr. Paschal "floated" over on to section 15. On the farm thus secured he resided until about nine years ago, when, having disposed of his property, he removed to Morrison where he still resides. December 20, 1827, he married Miss Nancy Short, who is yet alive. Children: William B., born October 26,1828; Daniel B., born March 20, 1831; Elizabeth Jane, born May 15, 1833; James A., born May 28,1835; Isaiah F., born March 1, 1838; Sarah A., born April 19, 1840; Maria A., born November 18, 1843; John G., born July 26, 1846. The first four were born in Morgan county. All are now living. [Bent & Wilson, 1877, Pg 297]
WILLIAM H. PASCHAL
OF Mt Pleasant Township
William H. Paschal was born in North Carolina, May 8, 1804, and spent his boyhood near Lebanon, Wilson county. He emigrated to Morgan county, Illinois, in 1826, where he resided until 1835, when he removed to Union Grove, then in Jo Daviess county, and built the first cabin in the present township of Mt. Pleasant. With him in the cabin resided during the winter of 1835'-36, J. D. Paschal, James J. Thomas, Felix French, and their families, in all nineteen persons. The cabin was not provided with a chimney, and cook stoves not being introduced, a log fire on the outside served for cooking and heating purposes. Mr. Paschal secured a considerable amount of land and property by industry, and was engaged in farming for many years in the immediate vicinity of Morrison,
He was a good citizen, and before his death, which occurred in Morrison, March 12, 1875, he saw the wild prairie and forests he assisted to subdue from nature's wilderness, the home of a teeming population. He was married to Grizzy Thomas, daughter of Anthony M. Thomas, October 17, 1833; she died June 26, 1875. Their children are: Agnes J., born May 4, 1835 died July 12, 1874; Parlee S., born February 11, 1838; Thomas J., born November 26, 1840 - died October 3, 1850; Robert M., born June 27, 1843. [Photo from the Daily Gazette Bi-Centennial Edition 1976 Edition. This was taken near their 80th birthday. Biography is from Bent & Wilson's History of Whiteside County 1877 Pg 296-297]
WILLIAM M. PATRICK
William M. Patrick, editor and publisher of the London Advocate was born May 20, 1832, in Knox Township, Knox Co., Ill. He is the son of Enoch and Polly (Martin) Patrick, natives respectively of Kentucky and Virginia. They settled in Knox County in 1831 where they were among the pioneer settlers and where they lived until the close of their lives. The father died at Knoxville, in January, 1865. The mothers demise took place in May, 1872.
At 15, Mr. Patrick began his acquaintance with the art of the printer in the office of the Knoxville Journal where he operated until the first year of the Civil War. He enlisted July 4, 1861, in Co. B, 37th Regt. Ill. Vol. Inf. After two years of military service he received a commission as Second Lieutenantand was transferred to the 97 the Regt. U. S. Colored Troops, where he served one year as Acting Adjutant. In 1864 he resigned, and, in November of the same year, returned to Knoxville. In March, 1865, he re-enlisted in Co. B, 4th Regt. U. S. Veteran Corps, and served a year in the capacity of Sergeant. He vas discharged March 1, 1866. He was a participant in a number of important actions of the war, among which were Pea Ridge, Prairie Grove and Vicksburg.
His first decided move in a business direction, after the war, was the purchase of the Leader, then published at Orford (now Montour), Tama Co., Iowa, which he accomplished in 1868. He remained there two years, when he started another paper at Center Point, in Linn Co., Iowa. He soon sold this and then returned to Illinois, and located at Mendota, La Salle County, where he bought land and engaged in fruit-growing. In 1882 he published the Index, in the interests of the Greenback party, one year. In 1883 he came to Lyndon and established the office of the Advocate, which he has since conducted.
He was married Sept. 5, 1870, to Louisa M. Maxwell.(see sketch of A. I. Maxwell). Mr. and Mrs. Patrick have one child, Mary by name. [Portraits & Biographical Whiteside County IL, 1885]
JOSEPH M. PATTERSON
OF Sterling Township
Joseph M. Patterson was born in Mt. Joy, Lancaster county, Pennsylvania, August 12, 1837, and received a thorough academic course of education. He came to Sterling in the spring of 1857, and entered as a partner in the firm Patterson, Witmer & Co., and continued as such until January, 1866. When the late war broke out, he entered heartily in the work of assisting to raise troops, and in 1861 joined Company B, 15th Illinois Volunteers, as an enlisted man and was soon afterwards made Orderly Sergeant. In February, 1862, he was promoted to Second Lieutenant of the same Company, and in 1863 First Lieutenant. In 1864, he was honorably mustered out, having served in the army three years. He retained his interest in the firm of Patterson, Witmer & Co., while in the service, and upon being mustered out, entered actively again into the business. In 1867, he became a member of the banking firm of Rogers, Patterson & Co., and remained with it until its dissolution and then became a member of the present banking firm of Patterson & Co. Mr. Patterson was elected Alderman for the Second Ward, Sterling, in 1868, and served two years. During the time he was Alderman he was elected Supervisor of the township, and served four years, when he resigned, having been elected in the fall of 1872 as a Senator for the Eleventh Senatorial District, to the General Assembly. While a member of the Board of Supervisors he served two years as chairman. In 1876, he was again elected Supervisor, and served one year, and at the charter election in the spring of 1877 was elected Mayor of the city of Sterling, which position he now holds. To the duties of each of these positions he brought a clear, active, comprehensive mind, and sound judgment and that he discharged the duties of the trusts ably and well is universally acknowledged. Mr. Patterson is one of the leading business men of Sterling. [Pg 447, History of Whiteside Co. Bent-Wilson]
WILLIAM J. PATTERSON
Of Ustick Twp.
William J. Patterson, general farmer, section 21, Ustick Township, is the son of Alexander and Martha (Jemison) Patterson, who were natives of Ireland. They came in early life to America and are now deceased. Mary J., William J. and Samuel A. are the names of their children.
Mr. Patterson was born July 26, 1848 in Philadelphia and he lived in that city until he was 10 years old, coming in 1858 to Whiteside County where he has since lived with the exception of two years stay in Iowa, and seven months spent in the Army during the Civil War. He enlisted Feb. 28, 1864 in the 156th IL Inf. but was in no actual service. His farm of 80 acres is all under tillage. He is a Republican and has held various town offices.
Mr. Patterson's marriage to Mary E., daughter of Charles and Lucinda (Martin) Casselman, occured in Ustic Twp. in 1871. The parents of Mrs. Patterson were born in Jefferson Co., N.Y. and now live in Nebraska. They had eight children - Lorinda, Rhoda, Mary E., Alice, Austin, Charles, Jason and William. Mrs. Patterson was born Aug. 4, 1848 in Jefferson Co N.Y. and she has been the mother of three children - Charles E., Minnie M. and Gracie. The latter child died in infancty. Mr. Patterson is a member of the Presbyterian Church. [Portrait and Biographical Whiteside Co IL, 1885, Pg 598]
of Ustick Township
William Pearson, general farmer, section 29, Ustick Township, is the proprietor of one of the finest farms in Whiteside County, comprising 340 acres. His first purchase in 1856, included 60 acres, which has been and still is the site of his home. He has been prospered in his business relations, and is a very successful farmer. He was born Feb. 14, 1832, in Chedelhume, Chestershire, England, and is the son of James and Mary (Fisher) Pearson. His parents were natives of England, and the mother died in her native country, in 1852. Their children were born in the following order: John, Samuel, Thomas, Jane, William, James, Henry and Isaac. Thomas was drowned in Clinton, De Witt Co., Ill. (should read Iowa). Isaac died at 22. The surviving brothers and sisters of Mr. Pearson live in England. His father came to America and lived about five years, when he died at the residence of his son. He was successively a butcher, farmer and silk-weaver.
Mr. Pearson came to the United States in 1854, and settled at Blackberry, Kane Co., Ill., operating as a section foreman on the Chicago & North Western Railroad. In 1856 he came to Whiteside County, and has since been engaged in farming. He operated in the same capacity in the interests of the same railroad corporation after his removal hither, one termination of his route being Unionville. He has since resided in Ustick Township, with the exception of six months spent in Wisconsin.
In 1860 he returned to his native country to fulfill a long cherished purpose, the result of which was his marriage to Ann Shotwell. Their union was celebrated Jan. 25, and soon after they sailed for their home in the New World. They have had 12 children, nine of whom still survive. They were born in the following order, in Ustick Township: George, Dec. 25, 1861; James, Jan. 27,1863; Mary J., Jan. 4, 1865; Frances E., March 9, 1866; Frederic W., Feb. 28, 1868; Emma C., April 7, 1870; Eliza, June 1O, 1872; Levi, March 4, 1874; Allan. Three children died in infancy. Mrs. Pearson was born Nov. 14, 1836, and is the daughter of George and Frances Shotwell. Her father was born in 1806, in Woodford, Chestershire, and died Jan. 9, 1879. Her mother was born in 1808 in the same place, and died June 24, 1883. Their children were named Sarah, Frederick, Levi, Ann, Samuel, William and Eliza. Two sisters died in England. Samuel and William came to America. [Whiteside County Biographical, Pg 191]
Weighmaster of the Chicago & Northwestern Railway elevator at Fulton, Ill. The elevator was built in 1866, and has a storing capacity of 65,000 bushels of grain. It is operated by an engine of 100-horse power. Mr. Pease has held his present position since the completion of the elevator in 1867. He was born at Albion, Kennebec Co., Me., April 18, 1825, and is the son of Seba and Mary C. (Ripley) Pease. He was brought up on a farm and removed with his parents to Rockland, Knox Co., Me. When 21 years old, he went to sea engaging in the New York, West India, European and coast trade. He was made master and sailed as such in the American coasting trade till the breaking out of the late war, when he enlisted, in April, 1861, as a private of Co. B, 4th Maine Vol. Inf., and served in the Army of the Potomac. He participated in the following named battles and skirmishes: First Bull Run, siege of Yorktown, Williamsburg, Fair Oaks, Peach Orchard, White Oak Swamp, Glendale, Malvern Hill, Mount of the Monocacy, Fredericksburg, battle of Chancellorville, Gettysburg, Wapping Heights, Kelly’s Ford, Orange Grove, Mine Run, battles of the Wilderness, Spottsylvania Court-House, Taylor’s Bridge, Hanover Junction, Cold Harbor and other minor engagements, till the expiration of his term of enlistment. He was commissioned Second Lieutenant and was mustered out of the service July 18, 1864.
On his return from the war, Capt. Pease resumed sailing, and continued to follow the sea, till the spring of 1867, when he came to Fulton, Ill., to accept the position he now occupies with the Chicago & Northwestern Railway Company. Captain Pease voted with the Republican party from the time of its organization till 1884, when he identified himself with the Prohibition party. He is a member of Fulton City Lodge, No. 189 A.F. & A.M., and of the G.W.Baker Post, G.A.R., of Clinton, Ia. He is actively interested in the cause of temperance, and is a member of Leota Lodge, No. 428, I.O.G.T. He has served two years as Alderman in the Fulton Common Council, and was once elected Mayor, on the Prohibition ticket, but resigned. He was married Dec. 28, 1869, in Rockland, Maine, to Miss Hannah I. Gould, daughter of Edward Gould. Mrs. Pease was born in Ellsworth, Maine. [Whiteside County History, 1880]
Of Albany Township
Henry Pease, of Albany, becarne a resident of Whiteside County in 1848. He was born April 12, 1800, in Somers, Tolland Co., Conn., where is father, Giles Pease, was born April 13, 1763. Noah Pease, his grandfather, was born in 1740, and his great-grandfather, Robert Pease, was born in 1683. Jerusha Pitkin, mother of Henry and wife of Giles Pease, was born Jan. 27, 1766, in Hebron, Conn. Both families are of unmixed English extraction. Noah Pease was a Captain in the War of the Revolution, and the father of Jerusha Pitkin was Colonel of a cavalry regiment in the same contest.
Mr. Pease was sixth in order of birth of 11 children, and he was reared on the farm until he Was 16 years of age. He went then, in 1816, to Hartford, Conn., and entered general mercantile establishment as a salesman, and operated in that capacity until 1825. In 1818 he enlisted in the Governor's Foot Guard, the oldest military organization now in existence in the United States, with which he was connected until 1825. In that year he went to Nashville, Tenn., taking with him a stock of dry goods. He had a partner in the enterprise and they Succeeded in making sale of their entire stock of in three months. Mr. Pease returned to Hartford, where he remained until 1827, when he started for Missouri. He went to Schenectady by stage, thence by the Erie Canal to Lockport, and from there to Buffalo by stage, going by Niagara Falls. At Buffalo he embarked on a Stearmboat for Sandusky, whence he crossed the State of Ohio by stage to Cincinnati. He traveled on the Ohio River to Louisville and went thence by stage to St. Louis. which point he reached in 18 days, then considered a quick trip. After a short stay in St. Louis, he went to Richmond Lead Mines, Washington Co., Mo. On this trip he was accompanied by his wife, where he engaged in mercantile operations and as a lead smelter, in which joint business he was occupied three years. He returned to St. Louis and soon after went to Potosi in the same State, where he engaged in mercantile affairs seven years. At the expiration of that time he went to Arcadia, in the Iron Mountain district. He entered a claim of 600 acres in the Pilot Knob country, and paid the United States authorities $1.25 per acre. He formed a partnership with Livingston Van Docen, the owner of Iron Mountain. They established a stock company and issued their certificates, but the company never worked the mines. The organization soon came to grief and Mr. Pease lost the whole of his investment. He came to Illinois in 1842 and bought a farm near Rushville, Schuyler County, where he was intersted in agriculture until 1848. In that year he came to Albany, and purchased village property. He engaged in a mercantile enterprise in company with W. Y. Wetzel. Their relations were in existence five years, and at the end of that time, he bought the interest of his partner, and continued the business singly until 1856, when he sold out.
In 1858 he replaced the fixtures in a flouring mill at Albany, which he conducted until June, 1860, when the structure was destroyed by the tornado. Since that time he has not been actively engaged in business to a great extent, but has given some attention to farming and resides in the village of Albany.
Mr. Pease was married Nov. 18, 1823, to Mary A. Warburton. She was born in Vernon, Tolland Co., Conn., July 9, 1803. Her parents were natives of England and came to the United States in 1793. Her father built the first cotton mill at Vernon, which was in fact the first cotton mill built in the United States. She was first cousin to Sir Robert Peel. The children of Mr. and Mrs. Pease numbered eight. Henry, oldest child, was born in Hartford, Conn., where he died when nine months old. Sarah is the wife of Ezekiel Olds, who is a resident of Albany, Henrietta, wife of E. W. Durant, lives in Stillwater, Minn. Giles W. is a resident of Albany, Mary E. and Edwin H. live at Racine. Fannie A. married W. H. Miller, and died at Albany, Feb. 3, 1884. Celia M., wife of A. W. Gilbert, lives in Racine, Wis.
Mr. and Mrs. Pease celebrated their golden wedding on the 50th anniversary, Nov. 18, 1873. The occasion was made memorable by the attendance of a large number of guests, and the venerable pair received many beautiful and valuable gifts. Mrs. Pease died Feb. 20, 1877. [Portraits & Biographical]
William Peckham, a farmer, residing on section 36, Prophetstown Township, and owning 120 acres located thereon, is a son of William and Malvina (Miller) Peckham, and was born in Verona, Oneida Co., N. Y., April 10, 1842. His father was a lumberman, a native of Verona, and his mother of Otsego County, that State. Their family comprised ten children, seven of whom are living: Achsie, Emorette, William, Eugene, Alfred, Cora and George.
Mr. Peckham was reared under the parental roof-tree until he attained adult age, when he worked in the lumber woods, which vocation he followed until the breaking out of the late Civil War. Sept. 1, 1862, at Rome, N. Y., he enlisted in Co. E, 81st N. Y. Vol. Inf., as private, and served until Jan. 10, 1865. He participated in the battles of Cold Harbor, Petersburg and others. His corps was the first that made an advance on Petersburg, and he participated in two engagements against that place, one under Grant and one under Butler. He returned to New York, and in the spring of 1866 moved to Cerro Gordo County, Iowa, and followed the vocation of a farmer on rented land for two years, after which he purchased a farm, consisting of 80 acres. He continued to follow the vocation of a farmer for seven years, and in February, 1874, came to Prophetstown Township, this county, and continued in his occupation for nine years, on rented land. In the spring of 1883, Mr. Peckham purchased his present farm of 120 acres, and has resided thereon ever since. Mr. Peckham was united in marriage in Sterling, this county, Feb. 7, 1868, to Miss Anice Humaston. She was born in Vienna Township, Oneida Co., N. Y., May 4, 1842. The issue of their union has been two children: Ettie, born May 23, 1871, and Ada, born April 17, 1873, both in the State of Iowa. [Portraits & Biographical Whiteside County IL 1885]
LOT S. PENNINGTON
Jordan Township, Whiteside Co IL
Lot S. Pennington was born in Somerset county, New Jersey, November 12, 1812. In 1826 he emigrated to the West and settled in Jersey county, Illinois. After remaining there a short time he settled in Macoupin county. Dr. Pennington married Ann P. Barnett, who was born in Barnett, Vermont. Mrs. P. died December 19, 1866, and Dr. Pennington was married to Ruth A. Morrison in 1868. In 1839 he removed north and settled in Sterling in May of that year. He practiced his profession for about one year. In the meantime he purchased a farm in section 32, Jordan township, and embarked in the farm, fruit and nursery business, devoting about 150 acres to fruit trees and a nursery, which he gradually increased. Owing to the distance from which grafts and trees had to be transported, the danger from the annual prairie fires, and the depredations of the myriads of rabbits, indefatigable energy and persistence were required to make the business a success. In 1856 Dr. Pennington abandoned the nursery business and devoted his energies to the production of fruit, and the great Illinois corn-crop. Dr. Penningtons home farm comprises eight hundred acres, in addition to which he has lands and lots in Sterling township and city, and also lands in Hopkins township, making him one of the largest land owners in the county. All of this land is of excellent quality. Upon his home farm he has 160 acres in orchard, a large amount of the fruit raised from it being of the finest varieties. In 1876 he raised about eight thousand bushels of apples from this orchard. To utilize his immense apple crops, he erected last year a factory of a large capacity for the purpose of making cider vinegar. A very large quantity, and of excellent quality, was manufactured. Upon his farm are also magnificent quarries of building stone, which have been developed, but not worked extensively owing to their distance from railroads. Recently the Doctor has been engaged in boring an artesian well upon his farm, and a depth of 2,200 feet has been reached, but as the water does not as yet flow to the surface, he contemplates during the coming winter (1877- 78) to continue the work until a satisfactory supply can be had, as he expects at no distant day to furnish the city of Sterling with a supply of water. Besides being an agriculturist, Dr. Pennington is a prominent horticulturist and pomologist, and has written several valuable papers upon these pursuits, all of which have been widely copied by agricultural and horticultural papers and by the general press, and the suggestions made and ideas advanced by him highly commended. He has also been a delegate to a large number of meetings and conventions held for the promotion of agriculture and horticulture, at each of which he took a leading part. Dr. Pennington was Supervisor of Jordan township from 1867 to 1876, inclusive, and has held various other township offices. [History of Whiteside County - Pg 263 Bent-Wilson 1877]
LOTT S. PENNINGTON
Man’s worth in the world is determined by his usefulness - by what he has accomplished for his fellowmen - and he is certainly deserving of the greatest honor and regard whose efforts have been of the greatest benefit to his fellow citizens. Judged by this standard, Dr. Lott Southard Pennington could well be accounted one of the distinguished citizens of Sterling. His life was ever helpful in its nature whether as a physician, in other business lines or in the public service. He met, too, with a measure of success that made him one of the leading landowners of Whiteside county and the strong determination, laudable purpose and unfaltering perseverance which he manifested constitute an example that is well worthy of emulation.
Dr. Pennington was born at Somerset, New Jersey, November 12, 1812, his parents being Elijah and Martha (Todd) Pennington, who were likewise natives of that state. The family numbered three sons and two daughters, but all are now deceased. Dr. Pennington acquired his early education at Somerville, Somerset county, New Jersey, attending a private academy there, while Inter he pursued his studies in an educational institution at Buskingridge, New Jersey. His more specifically literary education was supplement? by preparation for the practice of medicine and surgery in New York city and in 1830 he came to the middle west, establishing his home in Jerseyville, Jersey county, Illinois, where he engaged in the active practice of medicine until 1839.[- rest of this paragraph is missing--] He devoted the latter part of his life to scientific farming and kindred pursuits. He studied closely the conditions of soil and climate and plant food, made experiments and proved his theories to be practical ideas. He was not only interested in the conditions of the country as seen at the present time, but also in the study of geology - the construction of the earth's surface and those periods known in scientific parlance as the coal, glacial and other periods. He was always a student, carrying his investigations far and wide into various realms of knowledge. For many years he was a member of the State Horticultural Society and thoroughly informed himself concerning the cultivation of fruit, the soil required for its propagation and the climatic conditions necessary to bring it to perfection. He believed in progress and realized that there is no such thing as standing still - that one must either advance or go backward - and his course was ever forward. He was always willing to give a bit of advice or speak a word of encouragement when the opportune moment came and his broad scientific as well as practical knowledge made his counsel of recognized worth in the community. Dr. Pennington also figured prominently in community affairs as a public-spirited citizen who withheld his support from no measure or movement calculated to prove of public benefit. In 1801 he was appointed a member of the county board of supervisors and acceptably filled that position for a number of years.
In 1837 Dr. Pennington was married to Miss Ann P. Barnett, a daughter of John Barnett, of Brighton, Illinois. She died in 1866. On the 1st of September, 1808, Dr. Pennington was married to Mrs. Ruth A. Morrison, widow of Dr. William Morrison, of Lancaster county, Pennsylvania, and a daughter of William and Mary Ann (Thomas) Galt. Her first husband had died in 1807. Mrs. Pennington was born in Lancaster county, Pennsylvania, was reared to womanhood in that state and was married there the first time. In March, 1800, she came to Sterling and has made her home in Whiteside county to the present time. Her education was largely acquired in the academy at Strasburg. Pennsylvania. Her father, William Galt, died when she was but three years of age. while her mother afterward came with her daughter, Mrs. Pennington, to Whiteside county in 1800 and died in Sterling at the age of seventy years.
The parental grandparents of Mrs. Pennington were James and Mary (Martin) Galt. The family is an old one in this country, dating its connection with America from 1710. The maternal grandfather of Mrs. Pennington was Zaddock Thomas, who married Ruth Thomas. They were natives of Montgomery county, Pennsylvania, and lived in Norristown. The Thomas family traces the ancestry back through several generations in Pennsylvania. The death of Dr. Pennington occurred July 21, 1906 when he had attained the remarkable old age of ninety-three years and eight months. He was one of the most honored of the pioneer settlers, prominent in the early development of the community. The first house which he erected was a little log cabin on the Elkhorn creek and there he lived in true pioneer style, courageously facing all the hardships and privations incident to the settlement of the frontier. He purchased his farm from the government and the land came into his possession a wild and unbroken tract, upon which not a furrow had been turned or a rod of fence built. The place is pleasantly situated about four miles from Sterling in Jordan township. With characteristic energy he began to clear the land, break the sod and cultivate the fields. This involved much arduous labor, but his work was soon manifest in the changed appearance of the place, which was converted into an excellent farm. As the years passed he not only cultivated his land with good success but also opened a stone quarry upon his place, using the stone for the building of foundations, many of which are the support for substantial homes in Sterling. As the years passed his labors overcame all the privations and hardships of pioneer life and, as stated, he became one of the extensive landowners of the county and one of its most prominent and resourceful farmers, whose agricultural interests were carried on in accordance with the most scientific methods as well as iu accord with tho knowledge that he had gained through practical experience. For several years prior to his death he was blind. He was a member of the Presbyterian church, to which Mrs. Pennington also belongs. While a man of strong character and marked individuality, he possessed also a most kindly disposition and long ranked with the most prominent residents of Sterling and of Whiteside county. As the day, with its morning of hope and promise, its noontide of activity, its evening of completed and successful effort, ending in the grateful rest and quiet of the night -- so was the life of this good man. Full of years and honors have passed away, but many more years will be added to the cycle of the centuries ere he will cease to be remembered by those among whom he lived and labored. [From History of Whiteside County - William M. Davis Pioneer Publ. 1908 ]
of Sterling, IL
Jesse Penrose was a native of Northumberland county, Pennsylvania, on November 18, 1802. He settled in Whiteside in 1838. He was a Quaker, and an exemplary member of that denomination. He owned and occupied a farm north of Sterling for some twenty years, and upon leaving it became a member of the firm of J &, W. Penrose, in the crockery business at Sterling. Mr. Penrose married Miss Sarah Kirk, about twenty years age, they had one child. Both Mrs. Penrose and the child have been dead a number of years. Mr. Penrose was County Treasurer from 1855 to 1857, and made a capable and efficient officer. He was a man, of sterling integrity—one against whose public and private character, not a shadow of suspicion could be raised. He was also for fifteen years township treasurer of Sterling. His death was caused by paralysis, and occurred at Sterling, on the 26th of July 1876. [Whiteside County History, 1877 - Bent-Wilson]
CLAYTON ALVIN PENSE
Clayton Pense was born on May 4, 1874, at Prophetstown IL. At the age of four he went west with his parents in an old prairie schooner or covered wagon and located in the central west part of Nebraska, his father locating on a homestead in the midst of the western cattle men of that date. He saw the many hardships that naturally go with the building up of the frontier. Ten years later they pushed on farther west up into the northwestern part of the state now known as Rushville. In those days it was merely a village of tents. While living there he worked on cattle and horse ranches doing the general work that goes with ranch life such as herding cattle, going on the round-up, breaking broncos, etc. Young Pense gave service as a government scout during the Indian War of 1890 where in Sitting Bull was killed. He was one of the messengers that was in the Pine Ridge agency when the battle of Wounded Knee was fought and took the news of the battle from General Forsythe to General Miles whose headquarters were then in Rushville. In 1893 he returned to Illinois to the town of his birth and worked on a country weekly newspaper (Prophetstown Spike) while going to school. He graduated from high school in 1896 and then he took a business course at Dixon.
When war was declared with Spain, Pense was the first man in his town (Prophetstown) to enlist. He saw service in Company I of the 6th Illinois Infantry in Porto Rico during that war. After being mustered out he came to Chicago and worked about a year and a half for the Chicago North Western Railroad company.
In 1900 he started to work for the Chicago Tribune in the press rooms, and the following year went with the Hearst papers as a pressman, joining the Chicago Newspaper Pressman's Union Number 7, I.P.P. & A.U. He immediately became active in the union's affairs, and soon thereafter was elected financial corresponding secretary during which term of office he organized all the non-union newspaper press-rooms then in Chicago -- The Daily News, Tribune, Journal, Herald, Post, and others.
Mr. Pense represented his local organization, Number 7, at their international conventions with a very few exceptions from 1905 up until the present time. He was an organizer for the I.P.P & A.U. of N.A. for a number of years. In 19?? was elected vice president of the organization and during his term the international executive board by instruction of their convention purchased some 1600 acres of land in Tennessee where they have erected an old age home, tubercular sanitarium, technical trade school. These properties have grown to the value of between three and one half to four million dollars at the present time. Today it is the best equipped technical trade school in the world.
Pense was a delegate to the Chicago Federation of Labor representing his organization continuously for more than 10 years. He has represented his organization as a delegate to the Illinois State Federation of Labor for the past 15 years, and represented his international organization as a delegate to the American Federation of Labor in 1927, held in Los Angeles, Cal. He has served on important committees working out plans for the betterment of both his local and international organization. He still retains his membership in the newspaper pressmen of Chicago.
During the World War he served on the Military committee of the State Council of Defense being appointed by ex-Governor Frank O. Lowden. He was honored with the commission of Lieutenant-Colonel by Governor Lowden.
When he had worked himself up through the ranks of the press-room, next to the assistant foreman of the Chicago American he left that position and took a journeyman's job in the Day-Book when it was first established in Chicago. He worked there while he continued his studies in law school at night in the Kent college of law. He graduated from the Kent college and was admitted to the practice of law in 1914. Practised law in the city of Chicago for three years when he was appointed as an arbitrator in the Industrial commission of Illinois by Governor Lowden in August 1917.
He was appointed a member of the Industrial Commission by Governor Small and has just been re-appointed to the same position by Governor Emmerson. He has had service with the Industrial commission for more than 12 years continuously.
He is now one of the commissioners representing labor on the Industrial commission of the state of Illinois and was the only member of the commission under Governor Small to be held over and reappointed by Governor Emerson.
He is a member of the International association of the Industrial Accident boards and commissions on the committee of Investigation of Results of Compensation Awards. He is also a member of the National Safety council.
Pense is married and has two children. He lives at 57 North Brainard avenue, LaGrange IL. He is a member of the Odd Fellows, Elks, Spanish war Veterans and active in local civic affairs. Although he has not worked actively at his trade for the past number of years, he still takes an active interest in trade union affairs.
Mr. Pense was asked to explain briefly just the purpose of the state Industrial commission and the work of the board. He summarized the information in the following statement: "The Workmen's Compensation act is a law enacted by the state legislature providing for compensation to workmen injured while engaged in certain hazardous businesses, or to their dependents in case of death resulting from injury. The compensation is paid by the employer and also includes the furnishing of necessary first aid, medical, hospital and surgical services. The law was first enacted in 1913 and has been amended at every session of the legislature since, in order to increase its benefits and to meet changing conditions. The law provides for what is known as a the Industrial commission, whose duty it is to administer the act and see that its enactments are enforced.
"The commission consists of five members, two identified with the employers class and two identified with the employees class, and the fifth member as chairman. As at present constituted, Clarence S. Piggott of Chicago is chairman, C.A. Pense, LaGrange, and William F. Kramer, of Chicago, are the employees' representatives, and H.H. Willoughby of Staunton, Ill., is the employers' representative, one position being vacant, which it is expected will be filled within a few days. There are also 11 arbitrators for the hearing of disputed claims, which are held all over the state. The headquarters of the Industrial commission are at 300 West Adams street, Chicago, where a force of employees numbering about 125 are located. About 5,000 accident related are filed each month with the commission and of which close to 1000 claims each month are heard. Compensation payments under the act amount to approximately ten million dollars a year to men injured in industry, or their beneficiaries in case of death from injury. In addition the cost of medical and hospital services furnished by employers to injured workmen probably runs in millions of dollars each year...
Contributed by Carol Brown (Grandaughter):
Clayton Pense was born 4 May 1874 Prophetstown, Whiteside County IL
Son of Robert Jacob Pense (May 2, 1842 Zanesville OH - April 28, 1918 Rock Falls IL)
Son of Mary Adelle Stowell (1 Sep. 1851 Prophetstown IL - May 22, 1938 Rock Falls IL)
He died 5 July 1945 aboard O.B. and Q. Railroad Train enroute from Union Station Chicago to LaGrange IL
Married Nora Amelia Frary on November 7, 1899
Military service: Spanish American War - Pvt. Company I 6th IL Inf. (April 24, 1898 - 22 September 1898
Law School - Chicago Kent College of Law - L.L. B - June 11, 1914
Representative Clayton Alvin Pense Pvt. Co I Unit 6th Ill.
Almer Perault, farmer, section 28, Union Grove Township, was born June 17, 1843, in Canada, and his parents, Peter and Betsey (Conkling) Perault, were also born in the Dominion. They are still living there. When Mr. Perault was 18 years of age, he left Canada, where he had hitherto passed his life, and went to Vermont. He was employed one year in a tannery and went thence to Massachusetts, where he continued until r866, engaged in the same occupation. In the winter of that year he transferred his residence to Whiteside County and bought 141 acres of land where he has since been occupied in farming. He has added several acres by later purchase, and owns 185 acres, constituting a farm which in productive value ranks fairly with surrounding estates. In political connections and opinions Mr. Perault adopts the principles and issues of the Republican party, and he has held the offices of Highway Overseer and School Director. He belongs to the Masonic fraternity.
The marriage of Mr. Perault to Martha R. J. Coe occurred Dec. 4, 1867, in Union Grove Township. John I. and Rebecca (Moon) Coe, her parents, were natives of Ohio. They came to Whiteside County in 1841 and settled in the township of Union Grove, where they both died. Mrs. Perault was born in October, 1847, in Erie Co., Ohio. She has been the mother of four children, one dying in infancy. Jennie E., Charles O. and Eva A. are still living. [Portraits & Biographical Whiteside County IL 1885]
GEORGE W. PERRY
Rev. George W. PERRY, editor and publisher of the Fulton Star. The Star was established in January, 1883, and the first number issued on the 4th of that month. It is an eight-page, five-column quarto. Mrs. E. M. PERRY is associate editor. The Star was established as a Republican paper but took no active part inpolitics till March 25, 1885, when it was adopted as the official organ of the Prohibition party of Whitesdie County.
Mr. Perry was born in Onondaga Co., N. Y., April 15, 1830, and is the son of George and Catherine (Shultz) Perry . When seven years of age he removed withhis parents to Kane Co., Ill. He prepared for college by taking a course at Greenfield Academy, Ohio, and entered the Ohio University of Athens. He left the University before completing the course and went to Charlottesville, N. Y. After a short time spent there he went to Madison, Wis., and attended the Wisconsin University and was matriculated into the senior class of that institution. One year later he entered the Lane Theological Seminary of Cincinnati, Ohio, a Presbyterian institution, at which he graduated in the class of 1858, after a three years' courses, and was licensed to preach by the Cincinnati Presbytery. He began his career as a clergyman by preaching as a Congregationalist at Barrington, Cook Co., Ill., in 1860. He continued at that place till April 1861, when he went to Campton, Ill. He was married at the latter place Oct. 20, 1860, to Miss Emma M. Atwood, daughter of Luke and Emily (Duncklee) Atwood. Mrs. Perry was born in Sullivan Co., N. H. town of Newport. They have four children, all sons: Marcus L., George T., Warren F. and Jesse G. Mr. Perry continued at Campton until 1865, in 1866, he transferred his ecclesiastical relations to the Methodist Epicopal Church, and was assigned to Wyanet, Bureau Co., Ill. He was ordained a Deacon at Freeport, Ill., Oct 10, 1869, by Bishop D. W. Clark , and was ordained an Elder at Aurora, Ill., Oct. 15, 1871, by Bishop Edward R. AMES. He labored within the limits of the Rock River Conference till October, 1879. when he was superannuated on account of failing heath. He came to Fulton in September, 1880, and in January, 1883, established the Star, as before mentioned. His second son, George T., is the local editor and business manager of the Star. -- P.S. -- On May 19, 1885, since the above was in type, the Star was transferred to the sons George T. and Warren F. Perry [Portraits & Biographical 1885]
GEORGE H PETERS
OF Fenton Township, Whiteside Co IL
George H Peters was a native of North Adams, Massachusetts, and born March 12, 1812. In 1841 he came to Whiteside, and settled in Fenton, where he purchased a large tract of land near Rock river. Upon taking possession, he commenced work resolutely to bring it under a proper state of cultivation, and in a few years had a fine farm. On the 6th of May, 1838, he married Miss Charity Smith, at Petersburg, Rensselaer county, New York. The following have been the children: Jerome Darwin, Minerva Jane, Esther H., and George A. The eldest, Jerome Darwin, died while quite young. Minerva Jane married Levi Strunk, and died December 24, 1876; Esther H. married Frank Hamilton, and lives in Fenton; George A. married Mary A. Hamilton, and also resides in Fenton. Mr. Peters died September 8, 1873. [Bent & Wilson History of Whiteside County Page 202]
LOUIS B. PETERS
Of Fulton, IL
Louis B. Peters, undertaker and dealer of furniture opposite the depot of the Chicag, Burlington & Quincy Railroad, at Fulton City, is a successor to his father, Clement Peters, who established the business in 1872. The subject of this sketch was born in Lyons Iowa, Aug. 9, 1857, and is the son of Clement and Doretha (Langenberg) Peters. His parents were both natives of Europe. His father was born in Loraine, on the Franco-German border, his mother, Saxony. His father came to America in 1855, and his mother in 1856. Louis learned the cabinet makers trade at Cedar Rapids, Iowa, and subsequently worked at it in Vinton, Ia., Denver, Col and Le Mars, Ia. He was also employed by the Chicago & Northwestern Railroad one and a half years, in 1881-2. On the death of his father he succeeded to his present business in November, 1882. Mr. Peters has a well stocked store in his line, and attends promptly to all orders in the undertaking line. His stock averages in value about $2,500.
He was married at Fulton, Ill., Feb. 11, 1885, to Miss Susan Monohan, daughter of William Manohar. Mrs. Peters was born in Whiteside Co., Ill. They are members of the Catholic Church of Fulton. Mr. Peters is a member of good standing of Abon Ben Adhem Lodge, No. 148, I.O.O.F., and in politics is a Democrat. He is an enterprising young business man, possessing a thorough knowledge of undertaking and furniture business, and is rapidly building up a substantial trade. [Portraits & Biographical Pg. 218]
CHARLES FREDERICK PETERSEN
Of Morrison, Whiteside Co IL
Charles Frederick Petersen, boot and shoe merchant at Morrison, wsa born Dec. 16, 1831 in Germany, and his parents, Peter P. and Dorathy Petersen, were also natives of that country. The son was reared in the same manner as other German children, the laws of his native country fixing the course of training under which all male children are brought up. After spending the required time in school, he was placed in an apprenticeship and learned the business of shoemaking. On reaching manhood, he was conscripted in the regular army. He was in the Schleswig-Holstein war and was under fire in several actions. In 1855 he determined on emigrating to America and in the same year he arrived in the US. He spent a few months at his trade in Albany and went thence to Cleveland, Ohio, where he was similarly employed for a short period. He went next to Painesville, Ohio, where he remained nearly three years. He came in 1858 to Morrison, and established his business, in which he has operated continuously, and is the oldest craftsman in his line at that place. He first operated on a small scale, opening a boot and shoe store and also did repairing. He bought the stand where he is now pursuing the relations of this business in 1859, and has been its occupant 26 years (1885). He is the owner of 120 acres of land three miles south of Morrison and a residence at Morrison. May 2, 1861 he was married at Painesville OH to Hannah Louisa Voelker, and they have five children - Minnie, Frank, Edward, Albert and Bertha. The oldest daughter is the wife of Frank Johnson of Morrison. [Portrait & Biographical 1885 Pg 563]
Of Rock Falls, IL
James Pettigrew, Postmaster at Rock Falls, was born July 8, 1827 at Paisley, Renfrewshire, Scotland. When he was seven years of age his father, John Pettigrew, died; and his mother, nee Jane Allison, emigrated to this country and died in 1882. The subject of this sketch remained with his mother and took care of her while she lived, receiving in his younger days a common-school education, came to this country with his mother in the fall of 1843, spending the first winter at Sterling, Ill, and lived in Ogle County until 1875, when he purchased a farm of 125 acres. After working upon the place for a season he sold it, and in 1876 purchased his present residence. He has been elected Justice of the Peace four times. He was a Justice for ten years in Ogle County, and was elected to the office at Rock Falls spring of 1876, and held it until he resigned to accept his present position as Postmaster. He was Village Trustee for one term, Village Treasurer four years and has held minor offices. He is a zealous Republican, a Trustee of the Congregational Church, but not a member. By his native talent and public services he has become a prominent man in his community. He owns several lots in Rock Falls, besides the postoffice building on Main Street. [Portraits and Biographical Pg 214]
OF Sterling Twp., Whiteside Co IL
John Pettigrew was a native of Virginia, and born in 1815. He settled in Sterling in 1837, and on the 19th of January, 1847, married Miss Hannah Gilbert. Their children were: Monroe, born January 27, 1848; Emma S., born October 9, 1849; Ella M., born December 26, 1851; and Florence, born January 2, 1855. Monroe is married, and lives in Osage county, Kansas. Emma J. married David B. Brink, and resides in Page county, Iowa; they have two children. Ella M. married James E. Woodford, September 5, 1872; two children. [Bent - Wilson 1877 History of Whiteside Co, Pg 406]
CHARLES B. PEUGH
Of Genesee Twp., Whiteside Co IL
Charles B. Peugh, general farmer, section 27, Genesee Township, was born Dec. 9, 1819, in Bath Co., Ky. Samuel Peugh, his father, was born in Virginia, and was of English descent. He removed later to Kentucky, and when his son was about four years of age, made another transfer of his residence and interests, to Washington Co, Ind., locating on an unimproved farm in a county which was in its earliest pioneer days. The mother, Elizabeth Peugh, died in Indiana about 1875, and was nearly 80 years of age. The father died at his son's house in Genesee Township about 1865, when he was 77 years of age.
Mr. Peugh was a member of his father's family until his marriage, which took place when he was 26 years of age. He formed a matrimonial alliance with Jane A. Loudon in September, 1845. Her parents, John and Lavinia (Lee) Loudon, were born respectively in Ireland and New Jersey. Her father came to the United States in childhood, and was married in the State of New York. He settled on a farm in Washington County, York State. Mrs. Peugh was born there March 28, 1827, and was third in order of birth of a family of eight children. Her parents went, when she was 12 years of age, to Washington Co., Ind., where they died - the decease of the father occurring in 1852, and that of the mother about 1871. Mr. and Mrs. Peugh have been the parents of 13 children, all are living but one: John L. married Martha Swearingen, and they reside on a farm in Genesee Township; Eliza is the wife of E.R. Grubb, of whom a personal account is given in this book, and who has officiated as Deacon in the Christian Church about 11 years, and is a great worker in the Sunday-school interest; Samuel married Nancy Howe, and is a farmer also a stock dealer, in Carroll Co., Ill.; William C. married Catherine Wetzel, and is a farmer in Genesee Township; Margaret is the wife of Joseph Harrison, whose sketch appears elsewhere in this work; James L. Peugh married Alice Colcord married William H. Colcord; Viola B. is the wife of Frank Wetzel, of Genesee Township; Elizabeth is the wife of Frank Shannon, a farmer of Tama Co., Iowa; Sarah A. married Patrick Flynn, and they reside in the county last named; Malinda R. is the widow of Millard Hannis; Nora E. and Cora M. reside with their parents; one child died in infancy.
After their marriage Mr. and Mrs. Peugh resided on a farm owned by the former for a time, removing in 1851 to Illinois, and fixing their residence on a farm which he had purchased previously. The entire tract was all unbroken prairie, with no visible traces of civilization. The place is now in first-class condition with fine and valuable farm buildings. Mr. Peugh is a progressive farmer, and is interested in stock. The entire family, with a single exception, are members of the Christian Church. Mr. Peugh has been a Deacon five years, and has officiated as Elder about seven years. In his political convictions he is a Democrat [Portraits & Biographical History of Whiteside 1885 Pg. 584]
JAMES L. PEUGH
Of Genesee Twp.
James L. Peugh, secton 10, Genesee Twp., was born on section 17, in the township where he has always lived, Dec. 11, 1854. He is the son of C. B. Peugh (Charles Botts). He was brought up as a farmer's son, and remained at home until he was 18 years old, meanwhile obtaining such education as was possible at the district schools of Genesee Twp. In 1872 he entered the College at Wheaton IL where he studied a year. Mr. Peugh was married June 29, 1878 at Coleta, to Alice, daughter of W.H. Colcord, whose personal sketch may be found on another page. She was born June 28, 1860 in Genesee Twp. Mrs. Peugh is an accomplished musician and has given much attention to the acquisition of superior skill in instrumental music. Mr. and Mrs. Peugh located on a farm of 80 acres in their native township, of which he had become the owner previous to his marriage. They were its occupants three years, after which it was sold, and the family removed to Coleta. Mr. Peugh had contracted a disease of the eyes and was obliged eventually to abandon his business, in order to take a course of systematic treatment. The disease was technically termed granulated eye-lids and he was treated by Dr. Galt, of Rock Island IL and also by Dr. Holmes. In the fall of 1881 he made a purchase of 60 acres of land on section 10, in his native township, on which he and his wife have since resided. The place is all under tillage. Mr. Peugh is a member of the Christian Church and is a Trustee of the society. He is a Democrat. [Portraits & Biographical History of Whiteside 1885 Pg. 447]
BACK -- HOME
© Copyright Genealogy Trails