JOHN W. STAKES
OF Prophetstown Township
John W. Stakes was a native of Butler county, Ohio, and born in 1809. His first settlement in Illinois was in Hancock county, and in 1834 he came to Prophetstown. At that time a Mr. McClure was running a small ferry boat across Rock river, from the mouth of Walker's slough, on the bottom above the present village of Prophetstown, the point being where the old Lewiston and Galena trail crossed the river, and Mr. Stakes bought him out. He remained at that place about two years, and then went with John Bowman and Josiah T. Atkinson to Union Grove Precinct, the three making claims there. The claim of Mr. Stakes was where the city of Morrison now stands. He put up a log house on the land where Ed. B. Warner's residence is now situated in that city, and lived there about a year, and then purchased the ferry at Prophetstown of James Knox. He ran the ferry about a year, and then sold to John C. Pratt, and went back and died at his home in Morrison in 1861. Mr. Stakes married Miss Sa! rah Bowman in 1833. Their children have been: Mary Ann, who first married William Wright, and after his death, George McKnight, and lives in Iowa; Rebecca, wife of Fletcher Bollen, living in Geneseo, Henry county; Elizabeth, wife of Gardner Reynolds, living in Prophetstown; Walter W., now dead; Susan M., living in Prophetstown; Emeline A., wife of Ebenezer Beardsley, living in Iowa; Sarah Helen, living in Prophetstown; Lusina, wife of Orpheus Parker, living in Iowa; and John B., living in Prophetstown. Mrs. Stakes is still living on a farm adjoining her first home in Prophetstown. [Bent & Wilson History of Whiteside County Page 375-376]
of Rock Falls, IL
A.C. Stanley, a prominent businessman and early civic leader in Rock Falls, was associated with the commercial growth in the downtown area in the early 1880's. Stanley was a popular and well known grocer, former mayor of Rock Falls and was at one time the president of the Rock Falls Building & Loan Association.He was in addition, a member of nearly all the different secret organizations of that time.
Stanley was born in Aurora, DuPage County in 1844. Before his move to Rock Falls in 1873, he had been employed by the Chicago, Burlington & Quincy Railroad in the car department. A carpenter by trade, Stanley left that occupation after more than one year and accepted a post as superintendent of the Rock Falls Manufacturing Company. After nine years, Stanley left the company to operate his own business. He purchased the stock of John Newton and began the grocery business in the 100 block of West Second Street for a period of nearly 35 years.
In 1892 Stanley saw the need for expansion of his business which was the "largest grocery and with with the biggest business" in the two cities. He constructed the large three story brick building next to the old store building which he had sold to Ed Gudeman. In the new A.C. Stanley building, which stands today, Stanley operated a hotel on the upper floors and a dining room on the lower level.
They were the parents of three sons, Walter, Earl and Howard and one daughter, Mrs. Lois Jensen. Earl and Walter Stanley operated the family business for several years along with a bakery. Stanley again took over the business and retired after selling to Gudeman.
Rock Falls was a rapidly growing city at the time Stanley built the new building in the downtown area. During the 1890 census, Rock Falls had a population of 1950 inhabitants and during the Presidential election in 1893, the vote was registered at 507. The census enumerators allowed five people for every vote and estimated Rock Falls had grown in two years to a population of 2535. A compilation of official records in 1892 places the amount of capital represented by entirely new residences and the improvement of residence property at $45,000 with new merchantile property valued at $5,000 and manufacturing plants at $70,000 for a grand total of $120,000.
Stanley's youngest son Howard attended and graduated from local schools and business college and was a veteran of WW II. He was employed at the Simpson-Powelson Lumber Company in Sterling for 27 years. He began his career as a bookkeeper for the lumber company and was the manager the last nine years of his employment. Howard Stanley owned and operated the H.S. Stanley Fuel Company in Sterling from 1948 to 1969, two years prior to his death in 1971.
The Stanley home on East Third Street was a landmark in the city of Rock Falls for many years. The 10 room home was originally built by Stanley in an area of fine and quality homes of that day. The Stanley home was demolished in the late 1960's after the property was acquired by the Russell, Burdsall & Ward Company. While no longer a visible landmark, the old stanley home is still remembered by many as it was in its heyday, "the great white mansion." [Sources: The Daily Gazette July 1, 1776 BiCentennial edition; Bent & Wilson History of Whiteside County Page 351; The Sterling Standard Illustrated 1896]
OF Genesee Township
Pleasant Stanley came to Genesee Grove in 1837 and lived in the family of William Wick for three years. He worked for Jonathan Haines 8 years. Married Sarah Jane Crum. Children: one son and five daughters. Mr Stanley lived in Whiteside county twenty-seven years, but in 1864 went to Tama county Iowa, where he now resides. [Bent & Wilson History of Whiteside County Page 226]
OF Genesee Township, Whiteside Co IL
William Stanley was born in Montgomery, now Grayson County Virginia, August 7 1819. WHen he was 10 years old his father emigrated from Virginia to Ohio, a distance of over five hundred miles. All walked but the mother, who rode on the pack horse carrying the baby. They came to Illinois, and settled at Union Grove in 1837; came to Genesee Grove in 1850. He married Delia Ann Bunce November 30 1843. Children: Rachel November 29, 1845, Abram September 24 1847, Melina November 12 1849, Thomas November 3 1851, Esther December 26 1853, Andrew December 6 1855, Mary September 6 1858, Isabelle February 18 1861, Rebecca December 10 1863 and William July 11 1866 [Bent & Wilson History of Whiteside County Page 226]
James Stapleton, farmer, section 5, Clyde Township, is the owner of 199 acres of land, on which he has been a resident since 1858, and which became his property by purchase four years earlier. He was born Feb. 28, 1830, at Earl's Eaton, Yorkshire, England: is the son of William and Susan Stapleton, of whom a biographical sketch appears on other pages. He was 11 years of age when his parents came from their native country with their family to America, locating first at Paterson, N. J. Soon afterwards they went to Jersey City. When he was 16 years old he entered the carpet factory of Shepherd, Sines & Co., of Jersey City, to learn the method of weaving ingrain carpet, and spent two years in the accomplishment of his purpose. He went from Jersey City to Haverstraw on the Hudson River, located near Sing Sing, where he obtained a situation in the extensive establishment of Higgins & Co. He was employed by that firm five years. He went next to Franklin, N. J., and was there five years. In 1858 he came to Clyde Township and took possession of the farm on which he has since resided, and which his brother secured for him in 1854. He was unmarried and made his home as convenience or opportunity served, and June 29, 1861, he was married to Sarah J. Simpson. Two children have been born to them, - George B., born July 24, 1864, and John V., Sept. 25, 1867. Mrs. Stapleton is the daughter of Israel and Jane (Huston) Simpson. Her parents were natives of New Jersey and were of New England origin, in nationality representing the English, Dutch and Scotch from whom they were descended. They were farmers in their native county, where they spent their entire lives. The death of the father took place in 1865, at the age of 75 years. The mother died in 1870, when she was 74 years old. Mrs. Stapleton was born May 4, 1835, in Franklin, Essex Co., N. J., and she is the seventh of nine children born to their parents. she was educated in the public schools and lived in the place of her nativity until she came West after marriage. The farm on which Mr. and Mrs. Stapleton began their wedded life had been somewhat improved and is now in excellent agricultural condition with good residence and farm buildings and a large and valuable orchard. Politically, Mr. Stapleton is a Republican. [Whiteside County Portrait & Biographical 1885]
OF Clyde Twp.
Simon Stapleton, farmer in Clyde Township, located on section 18, was born Dec. 25, 1827, in Earleaten, Yorkshire, England. William Stapleton, his father, was a dresser of woolen goods and married Susan Tong. Both were of English parentage and ancestry, and they had nine children. Simon is the sixth child, and when he was 14 years of age the father, mother and seven youngest children came to America. The children whom they left behind had become the heads of families. The family landed at the port of New York in April, 1841. They went thence to Jersey City, where the father found remunerative employment in a pottery and continued to labor in the same establishment two years. In 1843 they removed to Little Falls, in the same State, where the senior Stapleton obtained a situation in the same business in which he was engaged in his native country. In 1845 another transfer was made to Bloomfield, N. J., where the father worked three years as a cloth dresser. At the expiration of that time they removed to West Hoboken, N. J., in the vicinity of the city of New York. Prior to this period, Mr. Stapleton had remained an inmate of the household of his father, but on their locating at Hoboken he determined to fit himself for the calling of a carpet weaver, and after spending five years in the accomplishment of his purpose he went with his father and family from Hoboken to Haverstraw, on the Hudson River. There he and his father obtained employment in the mills and were occupied some time in the pursuit of their respective callings. Meanwhile he was married and later came West, his father going to Yonkers, in the State of New York, in 1851, where he remained about two years, and while he maintained his residence there visited his native home in England. After his return to the United States, he removed to Astoria, L.I. A year later he went to Franklin, where he died Dec. 25, 1858, aged 67 years. The widowed mother returned to Yonkers and died there in 1860.
The marriage of Mr. Stapleton to Mary Wood took place April 21, at Poughkeepsie. She was born Oct. 17, 1829, in Saddleworth, Yorkshire, England, and is the daughter of Joseph and Mary (Browbent) Wood. They belonged to the class who worked in the factories of that country, and when the daughter was 12 years of age, in 1841, the family emigrated to America, locating in Haverstraw. Later on they went to Webster, Mass., where they resided two years.
In 1850 Mr. and Mrs. Stapleton and the parents of the latter came to Whiteside County, and were among the very earliest of its permanent pioneer element. Mr. Wood died May 9, 1884, ten years lacking one month subsequent to the death of his wife which occurred April 9, 1874. They had four children, the two eldest being twins, of whom Mrs. Stapleton is one. She has, herse1f been the mother of 12 children, nine of whom are living. Susan married Frank Mills, a farmer of Clyde Township. Joseph married Nellie Leech and removed to a farm in Clark County, D. T. James married Phebe Fletcher and is a resident of the county last named. Simon is also living in Dakota. Lucy married Pierce Smith, of Union Grove Township, and he is employed by the Chicago & Northwestern Railroad corporation as a telegraph operator. Jane is the wife, of Morris Weaver, a farmer of Mt. Pleasant Township. Charles, Frederick and Edward are the names of the youngest children who survive. Mary A. died when she was 21 years old. William died in infancy. On coming to Clyde Township, Mr. and Mrs. Stapleton located on 40 acres of land given them by the parents of the former. On this they have maintained their homestead without intermission, with the exception of two years, when they lived at Port Byron, Rock Island Co., Ill. They have added materially to their original acreage and have 260 acres of well improved land, including 20 acres in timber.
Mr. Stapleton has made all the improvements on his place, which is one of the best in Clyde Township. He is an earnest Republican and influential in politics in the locality where he is a citizen. He has devoted his interest and energies to the educational development of the township and has served in the several official positions of the school district in which he resides. [Portrait and Biographical Album of Whiteside County, Illinois, Pg 206; Chapman Brothers Publishing Co., Chicago, 1885.]
JOHN E. STAUFFER
John E. Stauffer has been a farmer in Sterling Township since 1858. He was born Aug. 2, 1827, in Lancaster Co., Pa., and is the son of John and Barbara (Eby) Stauffer, who were natives of the same county where their son was born. They had nine children, as follows: Benjamin, Francis, Peter, Christian, Henry, John E., Margaret, Ann and Barbara. The senior Stauffer was a miller by profession, and when the son was of suitable age he was instructed in the same pursuit, in which he passed 15 years, at the end of which time he came, as stated, to Whiteside County. He first bought 60 acres in Sterling Township, located on sections 3 and 4. He fixed his residence on the former, where he has since lived. He is at present the owner of 100 acres of improved land. He is an apiarist, and his yard is stocked with 66 stands of bees. He is operating in that line with satisfactory results. Mr. Starter has officiated several years as School Director. He is a believer in the principles of the Republican party. He was united in marriage in Lancaster Co., Pa., Dec. 14, 1848, to Catherine, daughter of Isaac and Frances (Neff) Bressler, natives of Pennsylvania and the parents of 11 children who grew to be men and women. They were born in the following order: Eliza, Levi, Ann, Henry, Catherine, Peter, Isaac, Benjamin, Lydia, Mary and Frances. Mrs. Starter was born June 2, 1827, in Lancaster Co., Pa., and she has become the mother of five children, as follows: Emma F., Isaac, Arthur F. and Mary F.; one child died in infancy. [Transcribed by Christine Walters - Portrait & Biographical 1885]
Ripley Stauffer, general farmer and apiarist on section 23, Jordan Township, was born June 13, 1839, in Manor Township, Lancaster Co., Pa., where his parents were also born and passed their whole lives. They were members of the pioneer Dutch families that settled in considerable numbers in Lancaster County. The father was married twice, and had 11 children by his first wife, all grown up and married but one. He died in 1852, when more than 70 years of age. Elizabeth (Ripley) Stauffer, the mother, was twice married. By her first husband, William Rummel, she had three children. Christian is the oldest; William is deceased; John is the name of the youngest.
Mr. Stauffer is the only child of the second marriage. When he was ten years of age he found himself at liberty to maintain himself, and he earned his own livelihood among strangers until he was married. He worked at various points until he was 18 years of age, when he entered upon an apprenticeship to learn the trade of a carpenter, with his cousin, Zachariah Witmer, in the township where he was born. He spent three years in the acquisition of a complete knowledge of that business, and after he was 21 years of age was employed as a journeyman in the same place.
His marriage to Mary. A. Hess took place in Lancaster County, Oct. 16, 1862. Mrs. Stauffer is the daughter of Michael Hess, an d sister of the wife of Henry Mellinger. (See sketch of H. Mellinger for a condensed account of the parents) She was born in Manor Township, Mach 19, 1843, and was reared and educated in Conestoga Township in her native county. Lizzie, born Feb. 5, 1863, and now the wife of Charles Bennett, is the oldest child of Mr. and Mrs. Stauffer. Mr. and Mrs. Bennett reside on a farm in Jordan Township. They have one child, Jessie: Minnie and Walter are deceased. Susie, second child, born June 18, 1864, married Jabez Franklin and they live in Los Angeles, Cal. Willie, born Sept. 12, 1870, is the youngest and lives at home.
Mr. Stauffer followed the business of carpenter five years in his native county, and at the expiration of that time came West. He purchased 20 acres of land for a homestead for his family, and has cultivated his place and devoted his time to bee culture, with satisfactory results. He has about 40 stands of bees, and is gradually enlarging the number of his colonies. His annual product of honey averages about one ton. Mr. Stauffer is a staunch and zealous Republican and has held several township offices. He belongs to the United Brethren church, of which his wife is also a member, and has acted as Steward and Class leader some years. [Contributed by Debbie Thormahlen from Portraits & Biographical Pg 479 Whiteside County IL 1885]
Of Erie Township
George Steele was born in New Hartford, Connecticut, in 1800; was married, in 1832, to Miss Mary Ann Pingree of Nova Scotia. Mr. Steele died December 10, 1871. Mrs. Steele still survives, and is now one of the oldest remaining settlers of Erie township. She has a vivid recollection of the pioneer days. Mr. Steele was a peddler in his younger days, and sold clocks to the New Englanders and Nova Scotia people. Judge Halliburton, the author of the famous satire, "Sam Slick," spent many days riding on Mr. Steele’s wagon, gleaning from him incidents of his peddler’s life, which he wove into his hook. [Bent & Wilson History of Whiteside County IL 1877]
Of Erie Township, Whiteside Co IL
Harvey Steele and his wife still reside in Erie, where they settled in 1836. Mr. Steele was born in New Hartford, Connecticut, in 1808. When a young man he belonged to the ranks of the irrepressible and energetic "Yankee peddlers," and sold clocks in New England and the British Provinces. Mr. Steele was married to Elizabeth C. Wood, in July, 1841. [Bent & Wilson History of Whiteside County IL 1877]
Of Montmorency Township
Herman Sterling, a farmer on section 14 Montmorency Township, is the son of Isaac H. and Harriet (Emmons) Sterling. His parents were born, reared and married in Connecticut; and soon after the event of their union in matrimony they went to Pennsylvania, settling in Susquehanna County. In 1864 they removed thence to Whiteside County, and resided for a period of 17 years in Montmorency Township, and in 1881 they returned to Pennsylvania, where the father died, Oct. 15, 1882. The mother was born in 1803, and is still living, aged 82 years. Their children were named as follows; Amos, Ansel, James, Charles, Herman, Ralph, Harriet L., Harriet, Charles M, Julia and Ursula U. Amos, Harriet L. and Chares are deceased.
Mr. Sterling was born Oct. 8, 1831 in Brooklyn, Susquehanna Co., Pa. He came to Whiteside County in 1853, and has since been engaged in agricultural pursuits. In 1858 he became a landholder by the purchase of 80 acres of land, on which he has since operated, together with managing 200 acres additional, which he has acquired by later purchase. He has erected excellent buildings. Nearly all his land is tillable. Mr. Sterling is not the adherent of any political party or faction, and he has been Assessor four years, and School Trustee seven years. His marriage to Francis A. Stroud took place April 27, 1858 in Brooklyn, Susquehanna Co., Pa. Mrs. Sterling is the daughter of John and Elvira M. (Kingsley) Stroud, respectively natives of Connecticut and Pennsylvania. They settled after marriage in Susquehanna County, where the whole of their married lives were spent, the father dying Dec. 29, 1850. The mother is now the wife of C.R. Palmer and lives in Montmorency. Mrs. Palmer had five children by her first husband; Elhanan, Frances, William, William E and John E. Mrs. Sterling was born in Brookly, Susquehanna Co., Pa., Feb 27, 1840.
Mr. Sterling is a member of the A.O.U.W. [Portrait and Biographical Album of Whiteside County, Illinois, Chapman Brothers Publishing Co., Chicago, 1885., Page 573]
August Stern, farmer, section 8, Hopkins Township, is a son of Christian and Louisa Stern, natives of Germany, who emigrated to America about 1862, and settled in Ogle Co., Ill., and afterwards removed into this county, settling in Genesee Township, where they resided until their death. They had five children, Fritz, Christoph, August, Fredericka and Wilhmena.
Mr. Stern, the subject of this sketch, was born in Germany, Aug. 24, 1835. He lived in his native country till 1858, where he was employed in farming. In the summer of 1858 he came to America and lived about a year in Ogle County, and came to Whiteside County in 1861, purchasing 80 acres of land on section 8, Hopkins Township, where he settled and has since lived, He is the owner of 203 acres, 200 of which is in good cultivation. He has erected fine buildings upon his farm.
Mr. Stern was married in Sugar Grove Township, Ogle County, Feb. 21, 1861, to Dorothea Shultz, daughter of Frederick and Dorothea Shultz, who were natives of Germany. They had a family of two children who lived to years of maturity, namely: Dorothea and Ernestine. Mrs. S. was born in Germany, Sept. 1, 1839. Mr. and Mrs. Stern are the parents of 12 children, 11 of whom are living, viz., Henry W., Edgar F., Emma J., Isabella, John F., William C, Ernest T., Hannah J., Gustav., Helena A. and Herman A Christian died when an infant. The parents are members of the German Lutheran Church. In politics Mr. Stern is identified with the Democratic party. [Transcribed by Christine Walters - Portrait & Biographical 1885]
OF Sterling Twp. Whiteside Co IL
Jonathan Stevens was born in Stonington, Connecticut, December 31, 1798, and came to Whiteside county in 1838. He settled on the farm just north of Upper Sterling, formerly called Harrisburgh, where he resided for thirty-three years. On the 13th of January, 1824, he married Miss Ellen Bowman, who was born February 2, 1807. Their children have been: Thomas W., born April 12, 1825; Eveline N., born May 8, 1827; Marshall S., born November 14, 1829; and John N., born February 4, 1837. John N. married Miss Anna Patterson, May 31, 1867; children, Mary, and Ella. Marshall S. was a member of Company A, 140th Illinois Volunteers, in the late war, and died September 21, 1872. Mr. Stevens was an enterprising and industrious man, and accumulated a handsome patrimony for his family. His health was feeble for a number of years, and his death occurred September. 14, 1870. Mrs. Stevens died January 22, 1876. For biography of Thomas Stevens see history of Jordan township, page 262. [Bent-Wilson History of Whiteside County Pg 400]
OF Fenton Township, Whiteside Co IL
Solon Stevens is a native of the town of Standing Stone, Bradford County PA, and was born October 23 1820. He came to Whiteside County first in 1844, on a prospecting tour, staying one year, and then returned to the East. Visions of the beautiful prairies and their almost unlimited productiveness, however,when compared with the stubborn soil of the Pennsylvania hills and mountains, were too vivid and enchanting to allow him to remain away from them, and in 1851 he came back and settled permanently in Fenton township. Mr Stevens was married to Miss Charlotte M Smith in Albany PA on the 17th of March 1844 and the children have been: Charlotte A, Martha E, John E, Ann C, Ettie M, Emma A, and Susan. All are living excepting Susan. Charlotte A married Jesse W Scott and lives in Montmorency; Martha E married Charles S Sage and lives in Pottawatamie IA; John E married Lela Emery, and lives in Fenton; Ann C, Ettie M, and Emma A are unmarried and reside at home. When Mr. Stevens came to settle permanently in Whiteside he was the possessor of only a little over a hundred dollars, but by industry, energy and perseverance, combined with a clear judgment and keen foresight, he is not the owner of several hundred acres of good land, with nearly all of it under a fine state of cultivation. His farm consists of 340 acres on sections 24 and 25 in Fenton and 40 acres in Lyndon, adjoining Fenton, making 380 acres in all. He also owns 12 acres of wood land on Section 3. To such indefatigable men as Mr. Stevens, a county owes much for its advancement and prosperity. [Bent & Wilson History of Whiteside County Page 201-202]
James Stewart, farmer, residing on section 29, Prophetstown Township, is the owner of 240 acres, located on the section. He was born in Warrensburg, Warren Co., N.Y., April 28, 1820. His father, Daniel Stewart, was a native of Scotland, a farmer by occupation, and in the year 1809 he emigrated to Prince Edward Island and the following year, 1810, he came to New York. He died in Prophetstown Township, July 24, 1864, aged 79 years, 8 months and 23 days. The mother of Mr. Stewart, whose maiden name was Christiann Moon, was likewise born in Scotland, and died in Prophetstown Township, this county, June 15, 1878, aged 94 years and 4 months. They had six children, only tow of whom survived: Alexander, a farmer in Henry County, this State; and James.
Mr. Stewart is the youngest of his parents’ family and was reared on the home farm in the State of New York, alternating his labors thereon by attending the common schools. In 1858, he came to this township with his brother Alexander and their parents. He and his brother bought 80 acres of land, the same being a part of the farm on which James now resides. They farmed it together and subsequently purchased 80 acres more in partnership. In 1879 James bought out his brother, and has since added to his home estate 80 acres additional. He also owns 40 acres of woodland in Henry County, five miles distant from his present residence. He is engaged in general farming and stock-raising, and has a dairy consisting of 16 cows, and usually keeps a number of hogs.
Mr. Stewart was united in marriage in Troy, N.Y., May 28, 1857, to Malvina Ellis, born in New York, Aug. 7, 1822. They have three children: Henry, born April 29, 1858; Charles, born Oct. 1, 1862; and Fred, born July 25, 1865. The mother of Mrs. Stewart is deceased, and her father resides in Johnstown, N.Y., aged 94 years. [Whiteside County History 1885]
GILES A. STILSON
Giles A. Stilson, senior member of the mercantile firm of Stilson & Badgley, at Tampico, was born Feb. 24, 1827, in Bennington Co., Vt. Russell Stilson, his father, was a native of the same State and was a mechanic. He died on the farm where he had lived ever since his marriage, which took place when he was 24 years old. His death, which occurred when he was 60 years of age, was caused by a tobacco sore under the tongue, presumably the same disease as that from which General Grant is suffering. He was a man of remarkable physical strength and had a finely disciplined intellect. The family had its origin in several Scotchmen, bothers, who came to America prior to the Revolution, and two of whom espoused the cause of the Colonists. Amanda Landon, who became the wife of Russell Stilson, and the mother of Giles A., was born in Vermont, and in her veins flowed the blood of Irish, English and Welsh progenitors. She lives with her daughter, Mrs. Lois Lampson, at Manchester, Vt., and she is past 80 years of age. Mr. Stilson was educated in the excellent public and private schools of Bennington County, and also was under the direction of a private tutor named Wadleigh, an English gentleman of culture and refinement. In 1844 he came to Illinois, where he located in Portland, Whiteside County. He was married Jan. 16, 1849, to Mary A. Cramphin, who was born at Weedsport, New York, in September, 1829, and came in 1844 to Michigan with her parents. But one of three children of whom Mr. and Mrs. Stilson became the parents is living, Emma, the wife of "Jed" Badgley, a farmer in Brown Co., Dak.; Russell B. and Evaline died while young. Mr. Stilson engaged in farming until September, 1861, when he enlisted in the "Yates Battalion of Sharp-shooters." The command was attached to the Western Army Corps, serving first under General Pope and subsequently under General Rosenkrans. Mr. Stilson was in the service nearly a year and was honorably discharged for disability. In 1875 Mr. Stilson came to Tampico, and engaged in traffic in grain with T. S. Beach, in which branch of business he was interested two years. He then engaged in mercantile transactions, in which he had been previously interested, associated with other parties. The firm of Stilson & Badgley are doing an extensive business. Mr. and Mrs. Stilson are active members of the Methodist Episcopal Church. He is now a Village Trustee. He has served several years as Supervisor, a long term of years as School Treasurer, and six years as Treasurer of Tampico Township. He was formerly a Republican, but has adopted the principles of the Prohibitionists. [Contributed by Marji Turner; Pg. 672, Whiteside County History 1880]
LAFAYETTE T. STOCKING
Lafayette T. Stocking, attorney at Morrison, was born at Pulver's Corners, Dutchess Co. N.Y. Dec. 25, 1857. His parents, Ransler V. and Mary (Keefer) Stocking, were natives of the same county. His father was born July 4, 1831 and is a mechanic by natural gift and acquired knowledge. The marriage of the latter occurred July 4, 1852, and he located at Pine Plains, in the county of his nativity, where he resided until 1856, when he removed to Pulver's Corners. A year later he came to IL and settled at Prophetstown. in the spring of 1865 he removed his family and interests to Morrison, where he has since resided. Since his removal to Whiteside County he has given his attention to his relations as a mechanic, with the exception of nine months in the Union Army. He enlisted in the winter of 1861 in Co. K, 34th IL Vol. Inf. and was in considerable active service, including the battle of Shiloh. He was honorably discharged for disability and returned to Morrison. Mr. Stocking has been a member of the Board of Trustees 12 years and served as its chief official several terms. He has been an Alderman two or three terms since the city of Morrison was incorporated. Mr. Stocking is the only surviving child. He obtained his elementary education at the Morrison High School, where he graduated in June 1875. A month later he entered the law office of F.D. Ramsay and read under his instructions one year. He matriculated at the Law School of Albany, N.Y. in 1876 where he completed the prescribed course and took his degree in 1877. He returned to Morrison and has since been in the practice of his profession. He was admitted to the Bar of his native State in 1879. Mr. Stocking was married Feb. 11, 1879 to Kate M., daughter of Thomas and Mary (Stiles) Guffin. They have on daughter, Lena K., born July 29, 1880. Mrs. Stocking was born Nov. 28, 1860 at Morrison. Her parents are natives respectively of N.Y. and PA and are residents of Lee Co IL. Mr. Stocking has been a Republican since he became a citizen. He has served as City Attorney since 1882, when he was elected to fill a vacancy caused by the removal of the incumbent of another State. He was re-elected in 1883 and in 1885 the current year. Mr. Stocking is a gentleman of modest pretensions, assuming no prerogatives but those of paying his just obligations and observing a due discretion, commonly designated as "minding his own business." [Portrait and Biographical Whiteside Co IL 1885 Pg 600]
GEORGE D. STONE
George D. Stone is one of the large land owners and prosperous farmers of Portland township, Kossuth county Iowa, where he operates a farm of six hundred acres of well improved and valuable land three miles beyond Burt. Mr. Stone is a native of Illinois, having been born in Lee county, near Dixon, on September 2,1861, His father, Burrel Stone, was born near Buffalo, in the western part of Jew York, and spent his early childhood in that section. He moved west with his father, Luther Stone, and settled in Lee county, Illinois, where for many years he was numbered among the pioneer residents. Burrel Stone grew to manhood in Illinois and there married Miss Isabelle McNeil, a native of Scotland. The father of our subject was a prosperous farmer in Lee county, where he owned several wall improved tracts of land. He died in 1886 and his wife survives him, making her home with a daughter, who lives in California .
George D. Stone received his education in the common schools of his native section. He was reared upon his father's farm and early became acquainted with agricultural pursuits. He remained at home until he had reached young manhood and rented a part of his father's farm and was successful in its operation for five years, in 1884 he established his residence in Iowa, purchasing a section of land in Portland township. The property which he bought was cultivated to some extent and there was a rude tog house upon the land. Mr. Stone immediately began its further development, built two comfortable dwellings upon his property and installed labor-saving machinery. He has divided his acres into two sections, each part completely equipped with barns and outbuildings. He has built fences and planted an orchard and now has one of the most productive properties in Kossuth county. He does genera! farming and also raises high-grade cattle. Mr. Stone's farm is valuable and well cultivated. The labor which he has bestowed upon it makes it every year more fertile and productive. His stock-breeding interests are constantly growing and form at the present time an important item in his activities. He has attained in agriculture a success which always crowns concentrated effort along worthy and useful lines. He has given much of his attention to farming but has not allowed this branch of activity to monopolize his attention. He was one of the promoters and is now a stockholder in the Burt Creamery Company and is a stockholder in the Burt National Bank.
On December 29, 1880, Mr. Stone was united in marriage at Sterling, Illinois, to Miss Susan Elma Tuttle, who was born in Indiana. He and his wife are the parents of five children: Evelyn, the wife of o A. A. Graham, a farmer in Portland township, and the mother of one son, George A.; Anna Belle, who married Delbert E. Finch, an agriculturist in the same section, and whose only child, Ores Oliver, has passed away; Clara V., the wife of E. Adelbert Ashling, of Rock Falls, Illinois, by whom she has one son, Elwin Adelbert; George H., a student In the Bancroft Parochial school; and Helen E., who lives at home, Mr. and Mrs. Stone have an adopted son, Leslie S. DeLemos, who now lives in California and is married. They raised him from the age of fourteen years.
Mr. Stone was one of the promoters and organizers of the Doan Methodist Episcopal church of Portland township and he is now a member of the board of trustees. He and his wife are active workers in the cause of religion and are well known in church circles. He is a member of the Burt Lodge, I. O. O. F., and he and his wife are connected with the Rebekahs. Mr. and Mrs. Stone also belong to the Yeoman Lodge. Politically he gives his allegiance to the republican party but has never been an office seeker, although for many years he served as a member of the school board. He has been a resident of Kossuth county since 1884 and is one of the active and industrious citizens of the section. He has aided materially in its development and expansion and is a man of high commercial ability and careful and conservative business methods. He has added to the resources of his community by developing his farm along lines of expansion and by advocating and following legitimate and honorable commercial principles. [History of Kossuth County Iowa, vol. 2, Chicago, S.J. Clarke Publishing Company, 1913]
OF Garden Plain Township
Richard Storer, deceased, formerly a farmer on section 11, Garden Plain Township, was born Feb. 23, 1816, in Washington Co., Pa. He was the son of John and Elizabeth (Holecraft) Storer, and was brought up on his father's farm. He married Margaret Curry, a native of Pennsylvania, born Dec. 29, 1818. They resided in Allegheny Co, Pa., after their marriage, until their removal in 1853 to Whiteside County, where they settled on the southeast quarter of section 11, in Garden Plain Township. Mr. Storer was a skillful and industrious farmer, and pushed his agricultural operations with success. He died in June, 1881. Mrs. Storer lives on the homestead. She is the mother of two daughters,---Elizabeth, wife of J. B. Kearns; and Adeline, who married A. J. Stowell, of whom a sketch appears elsewhere. [Portraits and Biographical, Pg 194]
Of Union Grove Township
Byron Stowe, resident on section 2, Union Grove Township, has been a farmer of Whiteside County since 1855, when he came with a company and bought a tract of land containing 456 acres lying in the townships of Union Grove and Mt. Pleasant. He was born March 20, 1831, in Weybridge, Addison Co., Vt., and is the son of Clarke and Abigail (Marsh) Stowe. They were both born in Vermont, and the former died there April 18, 1847. The mother came after that event to Whiteside County, and died in Albany, Nov. 26, 1875. Their children six in number-lived to a mature age. They were named Caroline, Mary A., Byron, Milo, Beulah and Edgar.
Mr. Stowe remained in his native State until he came to Whiteside County, and was engaged in farming, after reaching suitable age. In 1855 he came to Whiteside County, as stated. He settled on the same section on which he is now resident and where he owns 112 1/2 acres of land, and has placed most of his acreage under cultivation. He is a Republican in political affiliation, and has held several local official positions. He was married Aug. 31, 1862, to Mrs. Elvira Ellison, daughter of Samuel and Amelia (Keith) Bannister, and widow of Gilbert Ellison. The latter died in January, 1860, in Cincinnati, Ohio. By her earlier marriage she became the mother of one child, Willard S. Mrs. Stowe was born in Potsdam, St. Lawrence Co., N. Y., Jan. 8, 1834. Her parents removed to Whiteside County about 1850, and were residents of Union Grove Township about 18 years, removing thence to Clinton, Iowa. Her father died Dec. 20, 1881. Her mothers' demise occurred Feb. 12, 1884. They had five children - Ellen, Elvira, Mary, Prentice and Martin. Mr. and Mrs. Stowe have one child - Merritt M. They are members of the Presbyterian Church. [Portraits and Biographical Pg 214]
Of Prophetstown Township
Alanson Stowell, farmer, residing on section 4, Prophetstown Township, and the owner of 320 acres thereon, is a son of Aaron and Elizabeth 9Pratt) Stowell, and was born in Broome Co NY April 30, 1812. His father and mother were both natives of the same State, and the former was a farmer by occupation, and both were of Scotch, English and Welch extraction.
Alanson was reared on a farm, assisted in the maintenance of the family, and attended the common schools of his native county until he was 21. He then left and went to Canisteo, Steuben Co NY where he learned the trade of millwright. He served three years in the latter county, and in May 1836 came to Quincy, this State and worked at his trade for about three months. He then went to Iowa in the vicinity of Davenport, where he worked one season on several mills. He then returned to Quincy where his parents resided, and in the spring again returned to Iowa where he was engaged at his trade for another three months.
In July 1837, Mr. Stowell came to Prophetstown, which was then a part of Jo Daviess County, and in company with three others made a claim of 360 acres of land. They erected a saw-mill on the same, one-half mile from the mouth of Coon Creek and cut a race one and a half miles in length which cost them $2,000 and which proved a failure, and Mr. Stowell was the loser thereby to the extent of one fourth of the amount invested. They then moved the mill and ran it something over two years and finally abandoned it, as it had a poor foundation and had fallen down; but Mr. Stowell was lucky in having sold out his interest some time before the destruction of the property, although he was a loser by the investment. Mr. Stowell purchased 80 acres of his present farm on section 4 from the Government after the land had come into market, and has increased his acreage by subsequent purchase, until he is now the proprietor of 320 acres on the section named, 120 acres being inside the corporate limits of the village of Prophetstown. He has also six acres of timber land in Portland Township.
Mr. Stowell was united in marriage in Prophetstown May 12, 1842 to Annette E. Nichols. She is the daughter of Erastus G. and Elizabeth G. Nichols, and was born in Hardwick, Caledonia Co VT Sept. 21, 1824. They have had eight children, seven of whom are living; Sarah E., wife of Henry S. Davidson, Farmer in Prophetstown Township; Erastus C., a farmer residing on the farm of the subject of this notice; Mary A., wife of R.J. Pense a farmer in Nebraska; Marion wife of Frank McGrady, section foreman on the Chicago, Burlington & Quincy Railroad branch; Bradford M. a farmer; Addie A., wife of John Blackmore, a carpenter in Prophetstown; Mark A. resides at home. Erastus C. married Luch Blackmore - Bradford married Maud Daratt.
Mr. Stowell was one of the early pioneers of Whiteside County and has been ever active in developing its resources and laboring to promote the welfare and prosperity of the community, He is, and long has been, one of the leading and representative men of his section of the county. [Portrait and Biographical Whiteside County 1895 - Pg 587]
ALANSON STOWELL was born in Broome county, New York, in 1812, and lived there until he was fifteen years of age, when he went to Greene county and afterwards to Steuben county, in the same state. In 1836 he came to Illinois and worked for a year at his trade of millwright, in Quincy, and in August, 1837, settled in Prophetstown and commenced building the saw-mill on Coon creek, in which enterprise he lost heavily, He is now residing on his large farm adjoining the village. Mr. Stowell married Miss Annette T. Nichols in 1842. Their children have been: Elizabeth, wife of Henry Davidson; Erastus, who married Miss Lucy Blackman; Mary A., wife of Jacob Pence; Marian, who married Frank McGrady; Bradford, Adliza, and Mark A.-all whom live in Prophetstown. [Bent & Wilson History of Whiteside County 1877]
ANDREW J. STOWELL
Andrew J. Stowell was born March 14, 1846, in Rock Island Co., Ill., and is the son of Ira and Caroline A. (Riel) Stowell. His father died when he was but an infant, and when he was six years of age his mother marrried Capt. A. M. George, and the family moved to Garden Plain Township. Mr. Stowell was educated in the district school and later attended the "Northern Illinois Soldiers' College," at Fulton, two terms. His marriage to AddieS., daughter of Richard and Margaret (Curry) Storer, took place Dec. 23, 1873. She was born in Allegheny, Pa, At the time of his marriage, Mr. Stowell was in the employ of Lamb & Sons, merchants, at Clinton, and when the season of navigation opened, he accepted a situation as clerk on a steamboat. In the winter ensuing he entered an office, and in that alternate manner he operated three years. He passed two years subsequent in farming in Garden Plain Township. In 1876 he began to operate as a grain and stock buyer, at Garden Plain Station, and has since operated continuously in that vocation. Mr. Stowell is a Republican in affiliation and was elected to the position of clerk of Lyndon Township in iSSt. He is a member of Lodge No. 220, A. O. U.W., at Garden Plain, and also belongs to the Presbyterian Church, of which Mrs. Stowell is also a member. [Transcribed by Christine Walters - Portrait & Biographical 1885]
HARVEY STOWELL STREET
H.S. Street, Mayor of Sterling, was born in Hinsdale, MA Jan. 29, 1836, third in order of birth in a family of five; parents of Massachusetts nativity. His father, Horace Street, was a farmer, moved to Orleans Co. NY in 1837 and resided there until his death in June 1875. His mother, whose maiden name was Althea Stowell died in the same county, Jan. 1844. He remained at his parental home until 1860, attending the Albion Academy and receiving a practical education. From 1853 to 1860 he taught school, and then he came to Sterling and engaged in selling farm machinery for 18 years, then selling out. in 1883 he purchased the coal yard of Taylor Williams of which he is now the proprietor. He is a successful, honorable business man, and a prominent citizen. His residence is ont he corner of Fifth and Locust Streets. In 1865 he was elected Alderman and held that office for two years; was deputy collector for Internal Revenue from 1870 - 1873. In 1881 he was elected Mayor and re-elected in 1884 and again in 1885. At present he is a member of the Board of Education of the Wallace School. He is a Republican and attends the Methodist Episcopal Churcy. He is a member of the I.O.O.F. and A.F. & A.M.
Dec. 12, 1861 he married Julia A. Smith a native of NY and they have three children, Emily J., Walter S., and Albert L. [Portraits & Biographical Whiteside County 1885 Pg 342]
Rock Falls, IL
J.F. Strock, member of the firm of Dillon, Bowers & Strock, proprietors of the Rock Falls Rolelr Mills, Sterling, was born in Franklin Co. PA May 4, 1844, his parents being Daniel & Mary (Over) Strock, natives of that state. Mr. Strock, Senior, a manufacturer of agricultural implements, came to Sterling in 1864. Mr. Strock remained at his parental home until he was 25 years old, receiving a common-school education. At the age of 20 he entered a hardware store of Chambersburg, PA as clerk, remaining one year. He then came to Sterling and engaged as clerk for Patterson, Wittmer & Co. continuing for three years and then accepted a position in the interests of the Sterling School Furniture Co. continuing for 8 years. He is an active and influential business man, a Republican, a member of the A.O.U.W., Select Knights and the Lutheran Church to which his wife also belongs. Mr. Strock was married Sept.14, 1869 to Martha, daughter of Joel and Rachel (Cole) Harvey, natives of NY and early immigrants to Sterling. By this marriage there have been three children, two still living - Willoughby C. and John F. After the death of Mr. harvey, Mr. Strock took charge of his estate and business affairs and did not engage in any other business until 1882, when he bought a third interest in the Rock Falls Roler Mills, whe he has since been interested. [Portraits & Biographical 1885 Pg 329]
Of Sterling Twp.
Samuel Strock, farmer, section 10, Sterling Township, is the son of Samuel and Elizabeth (Lehman) Strock, natives of Pennsylvania, and life-long residents of that State. Five of their seven children lived to mature age, namely: Mary A., Daniel, Catherine, Samuel and John L. Samuel was born Aug. 21, 1834, in Franklin Co., Pa., and was an inmate of the paternal home until he was 22. In the spring of 1856, he came to Illinois, and first went to Carroll County, where he worked three years as a farm laborer. In 1859 he took possession of a rented farm which he occupied four years. At the expiration of that time he bought a farm, which he conducted until the spring of 1865, when he sold it and bought 160 acres of land in Hopkins Township, Whiteside County. Two years afterward he again sold out, and in the spring of 1867 he bought the farm on which he has since resided, and which then included 100 acres of land. His property now includes 662 acres of land in the townships of Sterling and Hopkins, which is chiefly under cultivation. He has erected valuable buildings on his homestead. Mr. Strock is a Republican in political sentiment.
He was married Feb. 3, 1856, in Mt. Carroll, Carroll County, to Mary A., daughter of Joseph and Elizabeth (Hershey) Emmert. His father and mother were natives of Maryland, and their 11 children lived to years of maturity. They were born in this order: Susan, Christine H., Andrew H., John J., Josiah, Alfred R., William, Mary A., Elizabeth H., Catherine and Louisa. Mrs. Strock was born May 2, 1838, in Maryland. To her and her husband seven children have been born, who are named Millard A., Allison E., Homer C., Arthur W., Otto E., Linius L. and Ada E. Arthur W. died when between two and three years of age. Mrs. Strock is a member of the German Baptist Church. [Portraits & Biographical Pg 389]
John Stuart carriage manufacturer at Fulton established his factory in 1865. He is a native of the North of Ireland, of Scotch descent, and was born May 8, 1844. His parents were Alexander and Margaret (Ellis) Stuart. He emigrated with his family to Canada, in childhood, where he learned the blacksmith and carriage trade, at Mitchell, Canada West, at which he served a regular apprenticeship of three years. His compensation was limited, and increased slowly. For the first year he received the princely sum of $25, the second $35, and the last year $45. But, strange as it may sound to modern apprentices, he had every dollar of his three years' wages at the close of his apprenticeship. He continued with his employer a half year longer, and in March, 1859, came to the United States. He first tried his fortunes in Missouri, but was obliged to abandon that field on account of the climate; he then came to Fulton, Ill., July 8, 1859, and engaged as journeyman blacksmith with Mr. James Broadhead, at 50 cents a day. He continued to work as journeyman till March, 1862, when, having accumulated a cash capital $65, he opened a blacksmith shop of his own. Three years later he began the carriage business in a small way at his present stand. The superior quality of his work, together with a reputation for fair dealing, soon increased his trade till he was obliged to erect additional buildings and to increase his force. This he has been doing from time to time, till he now has commodious quarters, and employs a force of from 12 to 16 men. His works turn out from 75 to 100 single and double carriages yearly, of various styles and of the finest workmanship. Mr. Stuart uses Ohio timber, and builds his work up from the rough to the last touch of the painter's brush, or the final stitch of the upholsterer. His market is principally in Iowa, although his trade, to a considerable extent, extends to California and the Territories.
In 1873 William Stuart, a younger brother, purchased an interest in the business, and the firm became J. & W. Stuart. This connection continued till Feb. 29, 1884, when John bought him out and now operates his factory alone.
Mr. Stuart was married at Fulton, Ill, Nov. 12, 1863, to Miss Mary A. Stevenson, daughter of Simon and Mary (Irwin) Stevenson. They have had six children,—four sons and two daughters, John A., Simon, William, Mary, Fanny and Arthur, all of whom are living except Fanny, who died aged seven years. Mr. Stuart is a member of the present City Council from the First Ward, and has been Alderman once before from the same. He has been a member of Fulton City Lodge, No. 189, A. F. & A. M., since 1872, and is also a member of Fulton Chapter, No. 108, R. A. M., of which he is Treasurer. In politics he is a Republican. [Transcribed by Christine Walters - Portrait & Biographical 1885]
Whose recent death on the 7th of February, 1903, removed from Whiteside county one whom the community could ill afford to lose, was one of the popular and best known citizens of Prophetstown, respected and honored by all who knew him and most by those who knew him best. He was born in Peacham, Vermont, October 1, 1839, and came of German and Scotch extraction. His paternal grandfather became a resident of this county and died at the home of his son, Josiah Sturtevant, in Coloma township, at the age of ninety-three years. Both he and his son Josiah were farmers. The latter was born in New Hampshire, June 10, 1804, and was reared and educated in the east. He wedded Mary Ann Bobbins, who was born in Vermont and in 1843 they removed westward to Illinois, settling first in Sterling. They afterward took up their abode at Como, where they remained for two years, at the end of which time the father purchased a farm in Coloma township, where for many years he successfully carried on general agricultural pursuits, there making his home until 1893, when he removed to Hock Falls. Two years later, on the 4th of October, 1895, his death there occurred as the result of a fall which occasioned a broken hip. His wife had died on the home farm in Coloma township when about sixty-five years of age. Their family numbered seventeen children, including three pairs of twins. Eleven of the children grew to years of maturity and five are yet living, namely: Jonas, who resides in Coloma township; Charles, a resident of Lyndon; Emma and Eva, twins, the former now the wife of V. S. Gibson; and Mrs. Adeline Andrews, residing in Sterling.
Hamlin A. Sturtevant was only four years of age when the family removed from Vermont to Illinois, he accompanied them on their different removals, being practically reared upon the home farm in Coloma township, where he was early trained to habits of industry and economy, thus laying the foundation for his success in later life. On attaining his majority he look up his abode in Sterling, where he engaged in buying and shipping cattle and hogs, remaining in that city for about seven years. He continued in the same line of business to the time of his demise and during the war lie also bought and shipped horses for the government, being associated with James A. Pattison, of Sterling, a pioneer in the business and the only stock man in Sterling at that day. In his business interests Mr. Sturtevant displayed marked enterprise and keen sagacity. In connection with his brother Newton he purchased five hundred acres of land in Coloma township, the brother conducting the farm while Hamlin A. Sturtevant traveled over the country buying stock. About forty years ago he took up his abode in Prophetstown, where he made his home until called to his final rest, being connected with agricultural and stock-raising interests throughout the entire period. As he saw opportunity for judicious investment he added to his possessions until he owned over two thousand acres and also gave four hundred acres to his son Hurt. They were associated in the stock business, constituting one of the strong firms of the county. They shipped over fifty carloads of cattle in 1907, which they fed, and between July, 1907, and January, 1908, placed upon the market more than five hundred head of cattle which they fed. The extent of the business is more than double that of any other shippers of the county and the business was developed through the enterprise and unwearied industry of Mr. Sturtevant, who for many years figured a most prominent and prosperous stock man of this part of the state. He carried forward to successful completion whatever he undertook, allowing no obstacles to bar his path if they could be overcome by determined and honorable effort. He was also one of the organizers of, and for two years a director, in the Farmers National Bank of Prophets town. He had a fine home and four acres of land in the western part of the village, purchasing this place ten years ago and residing upon it until the time of his death. In 1869 Mr. Sturtevant was married to Miss Julia Annis, who was born in Prophetstown, November 2, 1849, and died January 19, 1899, leaving a son, Burt A. He also reared the daughter of his wife’s sister, Annie Keene, who is now the wife of Paul June, of Kansas City, Missouri. In 1901 Mr. Sturtevant was again married, his second union being with Miss Jennie Cleveland, a native of Tampico township and a daughter of Cyrus and Mary Cleveland, of Prophetstown. They were married at Raton, New Mexico, where Mrs. Sturtevant was sojourning for her health. There is one child of the second marriage, Aubrey C., born March 17, 1903.
In politics Mr. Sturtevant was a life-long democrat and a personal friend of Hon. William J. Bryan. He held a number of the local offices, but while undoubtedly he was not without that ambition which is so powerful and useful as an incentive to activity in public affairs, he regarded the pursuits of private life as being in themselves abundantly worthy of his best efforts. He belonged to the Masonic fraternity and was master of the lodge of Prophetstown for twenty-two consecutive years, a fact which stands as incontrovertible proof of his popularity with his brethren of the craft. He also belonged to the Royal Arch Chapter of Prophetstown and was a member of the Knight Templar Commandery at Sterling. Without invidious distinction he may be termed one of Prophetstown’s most prominent and valued citizen. In manner he was social and genial and his circle of friends were very extensive. In his business career there was much that is worthy of admiration and emulation. He always followed strictly honorable business principles and it was through close application, well directed energy an unfaltering perseverance that he gained success. His labors, too, contribute in no small degree to the expansion and material growth of the county, while he himself derived substantial benefits therefrom. [Transcribed by Christine Walters - History of Whiteside County - W. Davis 1908]
Isaac Sturtevant, retired farmer, residing at Rock Falls, was born in the State of New Hampshire, June 10, 1810. His parents, Perez and Dorothy (Kimball) Sturtevant, were also natives of the old Granite State, and moved to Vermont in 1825, where his mother died, after which event his father came West, and resided with him until his death. The subject of this sketch was a resident of the parental homestead until he was 24 years of age, receiving in his youth a common-school education. After leaving home he bought a farm in Vermont of 160 acres, where he followed agricultural pursuits for nine years. He then, in 1843, sold out there and came to Sterling, renting a farm north of that place for a year. Next he purchased a farm of 117 acres in Coloma Township, where he followed his calling for 30 years. This place he now leases to other parties. He also owns 600 acres of improved land in Iowa, where he has a herd of 75 cattle. In 1870 he purchased four acres of ground in Rock Falls, and built upon it a substantial residence, which he now occupies; its cost was $12,500. In his politics Mr. S. is a Democrat, and as a citizen he is one of the prominent and representative men of Rock Falls.
He was married Nov. 25, 1834, to Miss Susan Summers, a native of Vermont, and of their nine children seven are living, namely: Jane, who married Frank June, July 29, 1856, and has six children - Minnie, Emmaroy, Susie, Frank, Paul and Jesse; Maria, who married Joseph Spear, April 5, 1859, and has five sons - Harry, William, Eugene, Ernest and Jessie; William, who married Mary McGee Jane 23, 1866, and has three children - Edna, Gracie and William; Emily, who became the wife of Dwight Johnson Sept. 6, 1872, and now has four children - Elmer, Flossie, Bert and Arthur; Susie, now Mrs. Jake Bowers, and the mother of two children, Roy and William; Jerome, who married Currie Hand in 1870, and is the parent of five chidren - Maud, May, Jannie, Frank and Isaac. [Transcribed by Christine Walters - Portrait & Biographical 1885]
JOSIAH COTTON STURTEVANT
Of Coloma Township
Josiah C. Sturtevant, resident on sec. 31, Coloma Township, has resided in Whiteside County since 1844, and since that time he has been identified with the agricultural development of Coloma Township. He was born at Center Harbor, N. H. June 16, 1805, and went to Vermont about 1826, where he continued to live until he came to Whiteside County. He is the owner of 250 acres of land, which includes 80 acres acquired by a recent purchase. His first investment in land in Coloma Township embraced 170 acres. Mr. Sturtevant was married March 16, 1826, in Peacham, Vt., to Mary A. Robbins. She was born Sept. 30,1809, in Vermont. She became the mother of 17 children, all but six of them lived to maturity. The names of those who survived their infancy were Eliza A., Antoinette, Newton C., Nelson A., Rosetta C., Hamdin A., Harriet, Mary A., Jonas, Edward, Emma F., Evaline F., Addie B., Charles P., and Carrie. Antoinette taught the first school in the town of Coloma. Mrs. Sturtevant died Feb. 3, 1881. She was a member of the Methodist Church. Mr. Sturtevant was made the first Justice of the Peace on the organization of the Township of Coloma, and was also the first Road Commissioer. He has held other minor official positions. He is a Democrat in political belief and connection. His parents, Perez and Dolly (Kimball) Sturtevant, were natives of New England, and. their family included eight children: Starrett P., Josiah C., Hezekiah F., Isaac, John D., Albert, Rosetta and Mary. The portrait is a copy of a photograph recently taken. Mr. Sturtevant is a representative of the pioneer period of Whiteside County. [Portraits and Biographical 1895 Pg 631]
Of Montmorency Township
Herman Sturtz, general farmer, section 12, Montmorency Township, connected his fortunes with the development of Whiteside County, in December, 1855, when he became, by purchase, the proprietor of 30 acres of land, which formed the nucleus of further purchases, whereby he became the owner of 400 acres of land situated in Whiteside and Lee Counties. He has displayed his sense and judgment in the erection of exceptionally good buildings, ranking with the best in the county, his dwelling and barns having cost over $6,000. He keeps an average herd of 75 head of cattle, 15 horses, and fattens about 100 hogs and from one to two car-loads of cattle annually. Mr. Sturtz was born Jan. 7, 1829, in Somerset Co., Pa., and is the oldest son and second child of John and Rebecca (Beal) Sturtz. His parents were lifelong residents of the State of Pennsylvania. Their children were named Kate, Hiram, Herman, Margaret, Christine, Charles, Susan, Noah, Edward and Louisa. Until he was 20 years of age, Mr. Sturtz was engaged in the acquisition of his education in the common schools and in farm labor. At that period he found hiniself with, the privilege of his own maintenance in his possession, and with an undisputed right to built his own fortune. He began the contest by farm work during the summer seasons and by teaching winters. He passed five years in this alternate method of operation and at the close of that time he came to Whiteside County, as stated. In political connection Mr. Sturtz is a Republican. He has officiated six years as Highway Commissioner, and in the spring of 1885 (current year), he was elected Supervisor of Montmorency. He is a member of the Sterling Lodge of Odd Fellows. As a leading agriculturist and a representative citizen of Whiteside County, we place the portrait of Mr. Sturlz in the galaxy of portraits of prominent and representative men of the county given in this album.[1885 Portrait and Biographical of Whiteside Co Pg 609]
Of Fulton, IL
Cloys Summers, of the firm of O. & C. Summers, dealters in groceries, provisions and crockery at Fulton, was born in Barnet, Caledonia Co., VT, Dec. 9, 1833, came to Sterling IL with his parents in 1840, and has made Whiteside County his home ever since. He has spent several years away, but never established a residence elsewhere. He took part in the so called "Kansas War" of 1854. From there he went with a Government train to Albuquerque NM in 1855. He next entered the service of the Hockaday Stage Company, and ran a pony express from South Pass in Salt Lake City. He was in Utah at the time of the Mormon War, and participated in some wild border scenes. He returned to Fulton after spending about four years on the plains and in the mountains.
He enlisted in the late war, in September 1861, in Co. A, 34th IL Vol. Inf., and was promoted Corporal and Sergeant. He served three years, and re-enlisted in September 1864. He was appointed Commissary Sergeant immediately and served til the close of the war. He was in the 14th Army Corps, and with his company and regiment in every battle in which they participated, among them the battles of Shiloh, Stone River, Chickamauga, siege of Atlanta and Jonesborough, siege of Savannah and other minor engagements.
Mr. Summers was married at Fulton IL, Dec. 9, 1866 to Miss Margaret Joyce, daughter of Clayton and Margaret E. Joyce. Mrs. Summers was born in Burlington Co NJ. They have had four children - Belle, born Dec. 4, 1868, died Sept. 14, 1879; Myron D. born Feb. 12, 1870, died Aug 7, 1870; Aetna E. born Aug. 11, 1873, died Aug 7, 1875; and Mary Alice born Oct. 7, 1875. Soon after his return from the war, Mr. Summers engaged as clerk and salesman for the lumber firm of Langford & Hall, and continued with them till the spring of 1871, when he formed the existing partnership with his brother Oscar. In his political views, Mr. Summers is a Republican. [Portraits & Biographical Pg 259]
Of Union Grove Twp.
David Summers is a farmer on section 4, Union Grove Twp. He wsa born in Scotland, in March, 1830 and is the son of William & Christine Summers, who were also natives of the same country, and were the parents of six children - Catherine, David, Andrew, Alexander, George and William.
Mr. Summers was about 18 years of age when he left the "land of heather" for the New World. On arrival on this side of the Atlantic he went to Henry Co. IL and was there resident till 1859. In the spring of that year he went to Iowa, where he spent the summer and in the fall of the same year he came to Whiteside County. He first engaged in agricultural pursuits on 80 acres of land in Union Grove Twp., which he purchased and on which he operated four years. In 1863 in company with his brother, he bought 233 acres situated in the same twp. and he is now the proprietor of 227 acres of the property, which is located on section 4. Mr. Summers is a believer in and supporter of the Democratic party. He was united in marriage to Charlotte Gibbs, Oct. 24, 1859 in Whiteside County (TRANSCRIBER'S NOTE: License issued to David Sommers/Charlotte Gibbs, Henry County Book A/61 #1859126). Their children are Jessie A., Thurston, Eugenia, Ernest and Merton. Jessie married Wallace M. Daniels and lives on section 5, Union Grove Twp. Mrs. Summers was born Oct. 25, 1832 in Essex Co NY. [Portraits & Biographical Pg 736]
Of Lyndon Township
Eli Summers was born June 1, 1783, and died August 8, 1870. He came to Lyndon township with his two sons and a son-in-law, H. B. Freeman, and settled in the east end of the great bend. All were farmers except Earle, who was a blacksmith. Mr. Freeman was a native of Connecticut, and a shoemaker by trade. The others came from New Jersey. Christopher Nott, a grandson of Eli Summers, remained two years, and is now a practicing physician at Kankakee, Illinois. [Bent & Wilson History 1877]
Of Fulton Township
Photo contributed by Corkey Waite
Ephraim Summers was born in Barnet, Caledonia County Vermont, September 4, 1812. He remained in his native State until 1836, when he came West, and first settled in Portland, Whiteside County, where he worked at his trade, that of a blacksmith, until the fall of 1841, and then moved to Sterling. In 1848 he settled in Fulton. In 1850 he caught the gold fever and went to California, where he remained 2 years, taking the overland route as he went, and returning by way of the Isthmus. Mr. Summers was married to Miss Mary L. Dixon (Dickson) on the 4th of February 1834. The children of Mr and Mrs Summers have been; Clois, Sophia, Orilla, Morris, Cyrus and Ida Morris. All are living except the latter who died in infancy. Since his residence in Fulton, Mr. Summers has worked at his trade for part of the time, and has also been in the hardware trade. He was Justice of the Peace and Police Magistrate for a large number of years and also held other town and city offices, and for several years was United States Internal Revenue Gauger. [Pg 188 from Bent-Wilson, 1877]
EPHRAIM SUMMERS, of Fulton, and a pioneer of Whiteside County of 1838 was born in the town of Barnet, Caledonia Co., Vt., Sept. 4, 1812, and is the son of William and Emma (Pierce) Summers. He worked at the carpenter and joiner's trade, and was also engaged in farming. He was married in February, 1833, in Vermont, to Mary L. Dickson, daughter of John and Jane (Lindsey) Dickson.
He came to Illinois in 1838 and made his home at Portland, this county, for awhile, but soon located at Sterling, to which place he removed his family from the East in 1840. He learned the blacksmith's trade in the West, and opened a shop at Sterling, which he continued till 1847. He then removed to Fulton, where he worked at blacksmithing till 1850, when he joined a party bound for the gold fields of California. He left Fulton April 9, crossed the plains and arrived at Hangtown, Ca1., early in August following. He spent two years in the Golden State, and returned to . his home via the Panama and New York route. In 1853 he engaged in the hardware business at Fulton, which he continued till 1857. He was elected Justice of the Peace several times, and served in all 20 years. In 1873 he was appointed United States Gauger and gerved as such two years, or until by a change in the law the office was abolished. He also held various local offices.
Mr. and Mrs. Summers had seven children, four sons and three daughters: Cloys, the eldest son, was a soldier of the late war, and is now a merchant of Fulton. He married Margaret Joyce; Morris died in infancy; Oscar married Lizzie Exley and is in partnership with his elder brother; Cyrus is single and lives in Indianapolis, IN; Sophia is the wife of Hiram Noble, of Fulton; Orilla is the wife of George Hartford, of Boone, Iowa; Mary is the wife of Herman Jordan, of Newton Township, this county. Mr. Summers gave up active business several years since, and is living in comfortable retirement with several of his children near by, and in the enjoyment of the highest respect and esteem of neighbors and friends. He is now with his eldest son. Mrs. Summers died July 23,1879. [Portraits & Biographical Pg 239]
TRANSCRIBER'S NOTE: Ephraim and Mary L. Summers are buried in the Fulton Cemetery along with their two sons Cyrus and Maurice (Morris).
JAMES E. SUMMERS
Of Hopkins Twp., Whiteside Co IL
James E. Summers is a farmer on Section 25, Hopkins Township. He was born Aug. 25, 1839, in Susquehanna Co. PA of which State his parents, Levi and Sarah (SMith) Summers were also natives. Their five children were born in the following order; William H. James E., a daughter who died in infancy, Harvey and Leland. Previous to his arrival at 22 years of age, he passed his time in obtaining an education and in farm labor on his father's homestead. In the spring of 1861, he came to Whiteside County, and for four years was engaged as a farm assistant. In 1865 he rented a farm, and later bought a small piece of real estate in Lyndon Township. This he afterwards sold and bought 62 acres where he has since been a resident. He has increased his possessions until he now owns 222 acres, which is all under tillage excepting a small proportion. He is a staunch Republican.
Mr. Summers was married June 4, 1877 in Galt, Hopkins Township to Orpha D. (Freeman) Carr. She was born Nov. 17, 1839 in Lyndon Townshp the daughter of Henry B. and Zimrhode A. (Summers) Freeman, who were among the oldest settlers of Whiteside County. She was the widow of Robert M. Carr, a lawyer who resided at Hennepin, Putnam County IL when he was a soldier in the US Army. He was Sergeant in Henshaw's Battery, IL, Lt. Art. Vol. and before they were called into action he died in camp at Ottawa, Jan. 31, 1862, leaving one child, Robert M., who was born April 4, 1863. Mr. and Mrs. Summers are members of the Congregational Church. [Portraits & Biographical Pg 430]
Of Fulton, IL
Photo contributed by Corkey Waite
Oscar Summers of the firm of O. & C. Summers, grocers at FUlton, was born in Sterling IL June 5, 1842, and is the son of Ephraim & Mary L. (Dickson) Summers. He came to Fulton with his parents in 1846, and was educated in the city schools of this place. He enlisted Oct. 8, 1861, as a private of Co. F, 52nd Reg. IL Vol. Inf., was promoted Corporal, Sergeant and finally commissioned Captain. He re-enlisted as a veteran Jan. 1, 1864, and served till the close of the war, being in the 15th and 16th Army Corps and participating in all battles and engagements in which his regiment was represented. He took part in the battles of Shiloh, siege of Corinth, battle of Corinth, Atlanta Campaign, Sherman's march to the sea, battle of Bentonville and other minor engagements. In 1869 he formed a partnrship, in the grocery business, with Mr. John L. Knight, at Fulton, which connection continued till the spring of 1871, when his brother Cloys bought out Mr. Knight and the present firm was established. The Summers Bros. carry a well assorted stock of gneeral groceries, provisions and crockery, of an average value of $2,000. Mr. Summers was married at DesMoines, Iowa, April 2, 1877, to Miss Elizabeth Exley, daughter of Thomas and B. M. Exley. Mrs. Summers was born in Clyde Township, this county. They have two children (daughters), Ruby E. and Margery A. [Portraits & Biographical Pg 248]
EDWARD S. SWEET
Whiteside Co IL to Nez Perces ID
Edward S. Sweet is justly entitled to the position of one of the real builders of this county and the town of Grangeville. While not here as soon as some of the early pioneers, he has manifested since coming an enterprise, tenacity and skill in business lines which have brought to him a gratifying competence and stimulated much action in others through-out the county.
Edward S. Sweet was born in Whiteside County, Illinois, on February 3, 1859, the son of James A. and Judith (Green) Sweet. The father, of Dutch extraction, was born in Chautauqua County, New York, in 1816, and died in 1891. He settled in Illinois in 1836 and remained on the old pre-emption claim until the summons came for his departure to the other world. The estate is still held in the family. He was sheriff of his county and also held other offices. The mother of our subject was born in Massachusetts in 1826, and died in 1878. She was left an orphan when very young and was raised by Mr. and Mrs. Scott, the parents of the noted missionary of India fame. Mrs. Sweet came of Scotch-Irish extraction.
Our subject grew to manhood in Illinois and was educated in the common schools, then finished in college. He had a practical training in handling stock and farms in his youth, from a wise father, and for a number of years managed the family estates. In 1892 Mr. Sweet came to Camas prairie, began to buy land, did a general farming business and raised stock. In addition to this, he owned a saw mill and during the hard times that came after that he was enabled by good business tact and skill to keep the mill running, much to the advantage of the settlers, for it was the only mill in the vicinity that was operated. He was faced with many hard problems and much difficulty in these trying times, when so many good business men went to the wall, but Mr. Sweet was enabled by his practical ability and keen foresight and executive force to weather the storm, and now he is one of the heaviest taxpayers in the county. He has a thousand acres of land, leases as much more, has much town property, raises a large band of cattle on the range and is also heavily interested in the Bargain Store Company in Grangeville. Mr. Sweet is a progressive man and his business energy has done much for the county and towns. While in Illinois, in 1880, Mr. Sweet married Miss Elizabeth J., daughter of David and Nancy (Lamb) Miller, natives of Pennsylvania. Mrs. Sweet, who was born in Illinois in 1859, was well educated, and followed teaching for a number of years. Her father died in 1901, but the mother is still living. She has four sisters and two brothers. Mr. Sweet has three sisters and two brothers, named as follows: Sarah, Maggie, Emma, Hiram and Ernest. To Mr. and Mrs. Sweet one daughter has been born who is now preparing for higher education in both literary lines and in music. Mr. Sweet is a member of the W. of W. and of the A.O.U.W. He was nominated by the Republicans for county commissioner in 1901, but as the entire ticket went down, he was sacrificed with it. At present Mr. Sweet is a member of the board of town trustees, and in this capacity, as in all of his labors, he brings an aggressive policy well tempered with a conservative spirit and due knowledge of existing conditions. He is one of the heavy operators in this part of the state and the success that is his to enjoy demonstrates better than aught else could do his wisdom and worth. In his standing Mr. Sweet is highly esteemed and his friends are numbered by legions. In 1903 Mr. Sweet was appointed by the governor as regent of the State University of Idaho. [Source: An Illustrated History Of North Idaho Embracing Nez Perces, Idaho, Latah, Kootenai, And Shoshone Counties State Of Idaho Western Historical Publishing Company, 1903]
JAMES A. SWEET
Of Garden Plain Township
James A Sweet was born at Fayette, Seneca county, New York, March 9, 1812, and is one of the earliest settlers of Garden Plain, arriving there on the 20th of September 1839, and locating at Parker's Grove. He afterwards settled at his present place, at Garden Plain Corners. Mr. Sweet was married at Lyndon, Whiteside county, February 29, 1845 to Miss Judith Greenborn a native of Greensborough, Vermont. This estimable lady, so long and so favorably known in Garden Plain and the surrounding towns, died on the 8th of April 1877. Her excellence as a woman, and her devotedness as a christian, had endeared her to all, and her death was widely mourned. The children of this marriage are as follows: James L, born May 14, 1847; Sarah E., born March 24, 1849; Margaret, born September 20, 1850; Hiram E., born April 16, 1852; Esther, born October 24, 1853; Edward S., born February 3, 1857; Emma, born October 5, 1861; Willie, born July 19, 1863, and Ernest, born December 10, 1866. Of these, Esther died January 22, 1864, and Willie, March 20, 1865. James L. married Esther Emmons, October 19, 1869, and lives in Garden Plain; Sarah E. married Lilburn Slocumb, July 2, 1873, and lives in Kansas; Margaret married Freeman Hanna, September 20, 1872, and lives in Garden Plain; Hiram E. married Mary George, December 29, 1875, and lives in Garden Plain, Edward S., and Emma reside at home. Mr Sweet is one of the representative men of Whiteside county. Active, clear headed, vigilant, and of undoubted integrity, he was early selected by his fellow citizens to fill positions of public trust. In 1844 he was elected Sheriff of the county, and held the office two years. The duties of this important position were never more faithfully performed than by Mr. Sweet during his term. For nearly ten years he was Postmaster at Garden Plain, and has also been Supervisor and Assessor of the town for several terms each. He has always taken a deep interest in education and has been a member of the School Board for many years. His residence is at Garden Plain Corners, and most of his land lies in that immediate vicinity. [Bent & Wilson History of Whiteside County Page 213]
JAMES A. SWEET, a resident on section 14 is one of the earliest of the permanent settlers of the township of Garden Plain,having located within its borders in September, 1839. Mr. Sweet was born March 11, 1811, in the town of Fayette, Seneca Co., N. Y. He is the oldest son of Lemuel and Elizabeth (Ackerman) Sweet. His grandfather and father were natives of Rhode Island, and were among the Pioneers of the Empire State. They both died in Seneca County. The Ackerman family, from whom Mr. Sweet is descended in the maternal line, were from New Jersey, and were of Holland descent. Mr. Sweet was reared on his father's farm. He was carefully educated, and on his father's death, in 1837 although only 6 years of age he readily obtained a position as a teacher. He spent nearly ten years in that occupation before coming to Illinois. He traveled from his home to Erie, Pa., by canal and steamboat, and thence by, stage to Pittsburg, whence he journeyed by steamboat on the Ohio and Mississippi Rivers to St. Louis. He was attacked by illness at that place, and nearly a month elapsed before he recovered. He went from there to Quincy, and remained until September, when he proceeded up the river and landed at Albany where he met his uncle Stephen Sweet, who had secured claims in the township now known as Garden Plain. From him he purchased a tract of land lying on sections 14 and 24, which he secured at the land sale at Galena, Oct. 21, 1839. Later in the same autumn he entered 80 acres on section 4 of the same township.
Mr. Sweet taught school in Albany the winter ensuing, and in the spring following he went back to his former home in the State of New York, and there resumed teaching. He continued in his native State until the spring of 1842, when he returned to his claims of land in Whiteside County. In the winter of 1842-3 he taught his last term of school at Albany. He was married at Lyndon, in December 1845, to Miss Judith Green. The estimaule young pair began their housekeeping in a log cabin, on the southwest quarter of section 24, where they lived two years, removing thence to the homestead on the southeast quarter of section 14. A small frame house sufficed for their needs, and it is now included in the commodious dwelling which has been constructed by later additions. The place is in valuable condition. The excellent wife and mother died in April, 1877. The family included nine children, seven of whom reached mature life: James L. was born May 14, 1847; he enlisted when 17 years of age, and served through the war, he married Ellen Emmons, and went to Kansas; after a residence there of two years he returned with his family to Garden Plain, where he was a resident until his death, May 22, 1885; Hiram E. married Mary George; Sarah is the wife of L. W. Slocumb, and they reside in O'Brien Co., Iowa; Maggie is the wife of Freeman Hanna, of Walla Walla, Oregon; Edward S. live in Garden Plain, as do Emma and Ernest; Esther and Willie are deceased.
The abilities of Mr. Sweet were early recognized and made available in the local government. In August, 1844, he was elected Sheriff, and by virtue of his office was Assessor of the county. He heldthe office two years. In 1845 he was appointed Census Enumerator for the county of Whiteside. He has ueen Supervisor and Assessor and was Postmaster at Garden Plains for many years. He has been School Director several terms, and in all his official life has pursued an undeviating course of integrity and uprightness. He is considered a representative of the best elements in social and public life in the county. He was a Whig in early life, but has been an uncompromising Republican since the formation of the party. [Portraits and Biographical Pg 658]
John Sykes retired farmer, resident on section 18, Clyde Township, is a citizen of the United States by adoption, having been born Nov. 14, 1818, in Huddersfield, Yorkshire, England. Charles Sykes, his father, was a craftsman, and worked in the woolen mills of Yorkshire. Sarah (Croft) Sykes, his mother, was born in England and was reared by her uncle, her parents having died when she was an infant. She lived all her life in her native country and died there. After her demise the father emigrated to the United States and located in Scott Co., Iowa, where he died, in Letare Township, about 1862, aged 73 years. They had seven children. Four are still living, of whom Mr. Sykes is the oldest. He was reared and educated in his native country, and at the age of 16 years he was apprenticed to learn the trade of a weaver, in which he was occupied until 1841, when he came to America and located in the State of New York. He operated as a journeyman weaver for some years in various parts of the State, and held the position of foreman in several factories. He managed the carpet factory of Higgins, in the city of New York, seven years, and operated also at Poughkeepsie and at Haverstraw. He next engaged in the management of a carding-machine for Alexander Smith at another place in the State of New York, where he was employed one year. At the end of that time he came West to establish a permanent home, and located on 400 acres of land in Clyde Township, which he had purchased a year previous to his removal hither. He was among the earliest of the pioneer settlers of the township, and at the date of his taking possession of his farm neighbors were few and widely scattered. Morrison was not in existence, even in the sanguine imagination of speculation. Sterling was in its swaddling clothes. Some months after becoming a resident of the township, in company with a brother, he made a trip with ox teams to Chicago. He had shipped a considerable amount of personal property from the East, which was detained for want of transportation facilities. The time was early September, and the heat was so excessive as to necessitate night travel. On one of the nights just preceding their arrival in the city, an Irishman proposed to purchase one of the teams. Mr. Sykes mentioned his price and the Irishman accepted the terms, as teams were scarce and the opportunity to purchase a good team, even at extravagant rates, could not be allowed to pass.
Mr. Sykes cultivated an ambition to convert his farm into one of the best in the county. He is now the owner of 380 acres, which includes his first purchase of 160 acres. The entire acreage is improved and supplied with a class of buildings which are in fair rank with the best in the county. He also owns 200 acres in Iowa, which is under good improvements with excellent buildings. He is also engaged in traffic in graded cattle and other classes of stock, and is dealing in them to considerable extent.
Mr. Sykes was married Nov. 29, 1843, at Brooklyn, N. Y., to Susannah, daughter of Richard and Elizabeth (Peterson) Owens, the former a descendant of Welsh parents, the latter of German ancestry, and both were born in the city of New York. On the mother's side Mrs. Sykes is a descendant of John Paulding, one of the captors of Major Andre. Richard Owens was a skillful painter, and himself and wife passed their whole lives in the place where they were born. The death of the former took place in 1822; that of the latter in 1840. Mrs. Sykes was born Jan. 5, 1815, in the city of New York. Her father died when she was seven years of age, and she was reared by her mother. To Mr. and Mrs. Sykes seven sons and daughters were born, and two have died. The record is: Richard married Harriet Ridmon and they reside in Iowa; John E. is the second in order of birth; Susannah is the wife of William Smith, and they are farmers in Ustick Township; Helen is an accomplished musician; William H. C. is conducting the agricultural affairs of the homestead; Sarah A. and Mary E. are deceased. Mr. Sykes is a decided Republican. His wife belongs to the Methodist Episcopal Church. [Transcribed by Christine Walters - Portrait & Biographical 1885]
BACK -- HOME
© Copyright Genealogy Trails