ELIPHALET B. WORTHINGTON
OF
Sterling Township, Whiteside Co IL

Eliphalet B. Worthington was born in Coldchester, Conn., September 7, 1797. When a mere lad removed to Wilkesbarre, Pa., where he attended school and learned the printing business. In 1824, he formed a partnership with his uncle and commenced the publication of the Newsboy in Chester, Pa. After a few years he returned to Wilkes Barre and became the editor of the Journal and Anti-Masonic Advocate of that town. April 24, 1834, he married Sarah McShane, of Philadelphia, and removed to where Sterling now stands, in the spring of 1837, to the town of Harrisburgh, which consisted of four cabins occupied by H. Brink, John Ogle, Samuel S. Geer, and Elijah Worthington, the latter gentleman the brother of the subject of our sketch. Mr. Worthington was one month taking the trip from Wilkesbarre to Sterling. In the spring of 1838 Mrs. Worthington commenced a school which was designed for the nucleus of an academy, to which the proprietors of Harrisburgh donated a lot. The school was taught in the first frame house built in the settlement. The boards were sawed from hardwood at Wilson’s mill, at a cost of $40 a thousand. The fol­lowing are the first names that appear upon the school roll: Wm. M. Kilgour, Nancy Jane Kilgour, Andrew, Alfred, Esther, and Julia Bush, Geo. W. and Lucinda Brewer, Helen M. and Elijah Worthington, Jr. The next year a class was formed in painting, composed of Messrs. Benton, Johnson, Woodly, Stephens, and Brown; Dr. John Bates, critic. In November 1841, Mr. Worthington was appointed postmaster at Sterling by President Tyler, and managed the office during his administration and those of Polk and Taylor. Mr. Worthington was deputy clerk of the Circuit Court of the county for about fifteen years. His real estate claim was made upon the, south side of the river, which he sold to A. F.R. . and Samuel Emmons. He subsequently made a claim which he,sold to Henry Landis. Sterling was his permanent home until the time of his death, November 14, 1871. Children: Anna M., born February 15, 1835; Edward L., born October 5, 1836; Emily F., born February 3, 1840; Mary L.., born February 2, 1843; Josephine, born May 28, 1845; Louise, born July 16, 1847. E. L. Worthington married Caroline Haven; of Ohio; three ‘ children. . Anna, M. married Lorenzo Hapgood. Emily F. married A. A. Norwood. Mary L. married S. S. Lukens. Josephine is now the wife of C. C. Johnson.

Whiteside Co. History, Bent & Wilson 1877 Pg 404

E.B. Worthington, deceased, formerly a prominent resident of Sterling, was a native of Colchester, Conn. married, April 24, 1834, Miss Sarah, daughter of E. McShane, of Philadelphia, Pa., and in 1837, with her and their two children; emigrated from Luzeme Co., Pa., to Harrisburg, this county, now the eastern portion of Sterling, and then consisting of but four log cabins. The two children were Anna, who afterward married Lorenzo Hapgood, and Edward L., both now deceased. This was the fifth family to locate here.

To induce Mrs. Worthington to open a school, the town proprietors gave her a town lot, on which her husband built the first frame house in the locality. The frame was raised on the 4th of July, 1837, and occupied on the last day of November. The school was commenced early the following spring, with 10 or 12 pupils. For a list of their names, see history of Sterling, on another page.

Mr. W. made a claim on the south side of Rock River, and, after improving it, sold it to Henry C. Landis, the present owner. Mr. Worthington was chosen Postmaster, under President Harrison, and remained in office 12 years. When the county seat was located and the courthouse about to be built the towns of Harrisburg and Chatham united, under the name of Sterling, in honor of Major Sterling, of Pennsylvania. Being desirable that the postoffice should be more central, Mr. W. selected a location on Broadway, namely, block 52, east of Broadway, built, and removed there in November, 1843. This place he continued to occupy until his death, which took place Nov. 14, 1871. It is still owned and occupied by his widow, who is now in her 79th year. Mr. W. held the position of Deputy Clerk of the circuit Court for several Years. Before leaving Pennsylvania, Mr. Worthington edited the Anti-Masonic Journal and Wilkes Barre Advertiser for four years when, on deciding to emigrate West, he sold to a Mr. Minor. To Mr. and Mrs. W. four daughters were born, in Sterling, viz.: Mrs. S. S. Lukons, Mrs. A. A. Norwood, Mrs. C. C. Johnson and one who died in infancy. Since then the first named has also died

Portraits & Biographical 1885 - Pg 562

Back Home


Illinois - "Our Way"