Whiteside County Illinois
Genealogy and History
Part of the Genealogy Trails History Group

line
Businessmen of Sterling and Rock Falls
1896-1897

line

 

Transcribed by Christine Walters

 The following is a short bio/sketch of most of the businessmen in the towns of Sterling & Rock Falls who were in operation in 1896-1897.
This article was presented in "The Sterling Standard". Accompanying each sketch was a picture of some of these men. (We've inserted "NO PHOTO" - where there was none available).
They are listed in alphabetical order. We only had pages 25 to 52 of this article. The first 25 pages didn't survive.
 

Michael KANNALLY engaged in the grocery business in Sterling in 1857 and has been actively engaged in it since that time. He has built up a large trade and one of Sterling's most prosperous businessmen. He carries a line of staple and fancy groceries, crockery, glassware, provisions, country produce, and in fact, everything to be found in a grocery store. He is in business at 9 West Third street.

 

(No Photo)

Drs. J. FRANK KEEFER (Biography) and J. R. KEEFER, 408 First avenue. Dr. J. Frank Keefer is a graduate of Rush Medical College, Chicago, and has practiced successfully in this city since 1881. He is considered to be especially well read and able in all branches of his work. His specialty is the eye, ear, nose and throat. He is the President of the North Central Medical Association of Illinois. Dr. Jane Reid Keefer has been here since 1889, coming from the Women's Medical College of Pennsylvania, located at Philadelphia. She is a close student and a careful practitioner.

 

(No Photo)

W.C. KIER & Son, located at 7 E. Third street, is one of the standard business men of the city. He began business in March 1872, and has been continuously in the line of Furs and Gentlemen's FUrnishing Goods ever since. He is the pioneer fur dealer in this part of the State. He also has carried an up to date line of furnishing goods. In November 1895 he took his son, W. Glenn Kier into partnership.

 

(No Photo)

R.L. KIMBRO, one of the oldest and most reliable grocers in the city is at 120 East Third street. He began business in this city in the autumn of 1878 and has therefore a residence of eighteen years in the city.

(No Photo)

Pg. 30 JOHN M. KOHL, the well known East End grocer (First Ward Grocer) , was born in Cologne, Germany, in the year 1863. He emigrated to this country in 1868 and located in Sterling, which place he has claimed as his home ever since. Mr. Kohl's place of business is located at No. 1211 East Fourth Street, where he has one of the neatest and best kept grocery, flour and feed stores in the city. Previous to his starting in business for himself six years ago he served in the capacity of grocer's clerk for nine years, thus thoroughly equipping himself for the business. He has a large public scale at his place amny farmers avail themselves of this privilege.

JohnMKohl.

Henry KROHN, 409 Locust street, has been a marble cutter in Sterling longer than any man now in the business here. He came to this city from Clinton twenty-seven years ago, and has been engaged in business here cantinually since that time.

(No Photo)

Pg. 27 W.F. LAWRIE, the plumber, whose place of business is located in the basement at No. 1 East Third street, was born in LaPorte, Ind., in the year 1861. He came to Sterling in 1869. Mr. Lawrie started in busienss for himself in the year 1892. Previous to that time he had worked in the capacity of clerk, first for Lawrence Bros. and afterward for Crawford Bros. He is a hustler for business and his work always gives the best of satisfaction, as he employs none but experienced workmen. Mr. Lawrie does work in plumbing, steam and hot water heating, and is considered one of our most reliable citizens.

WFLawrie

U. G. LeFEVER - The Leader Grocery, owned by the above named gentleman, was opened in February of the present year. Mr. Lefever is not a new acquisition to the business circles of the city, as he has been long in the grocery business as a clerk in some of the best stores in the city. Mr. Amos Ahrens, a well known businessman of the city is also associated with this house as buyer.

(No Photo)

J. Y. LEHMAN, D. V. S. is the oldest veterinarian in the city, he having been in practice here for over thirty years. His office is at Scott's feed sheds, on First avenue. The doctor holds a diploma from the Chicago College of Veterinary surgery. He is a skilled practitioner and enjoys the confidence of a large number of horse owners.

(No Photo)

Pg. 48 R. L. LEITCH, of the real estate and loan firm of Winters & Leitch, was born in Chicago in 1855. The family came to Rock Falls in 1867. Mr. Leitch served the city as alderman of the Third ward for three terms and mayor for the years 1895 and 1896. He is secretary of the Rock Falls Building and Loan Association and president of the Epsworth League of Rock Falls. The real estate and loan firm of Winters & Leitch does a large business and has the confidence of the public.

RLLeitch

Pg. 48 WARD LINCOLN, the popular mayor of Rock Falls, was born in Sandwich in the year 1863. He came to Rock Falls in 1891 and worked in the wood department of the Keystone works four years, following he was engaged in the grocery business two years. He disposed of his grocery and has been employed by the Sterling Manufacturing Company having charge of their pattern department. Mr. Lincoln was elected mayor of Rock Falls in the spring of 1897. He is a quiet, genial man and is giving Rock Falls a good administraton.

WardLincoln

Pg. 36 W.E. LLEWELLYN, the ice man, was born in this city in 1868. He attended the public schools of Sterling after which he was employed in the ice industry here. Mr. Llewellyn now owns one of the best ice plants in the west, with four large ice houses, three in Sterling and one at Rock Falls. He runs three wagons regularly in season and delivers to all parts of the two cities. Mr. Llewellyn's office is at 111 West Third street.

WELlewellyn

JOHN A. LOOS the junior member of the firm, was born in Chicago in the 1871. He served a full apprenticeship at the plumbing trade in this city and consequently thoroughly understands the trade. The firm of John G. Loos & Son was established six years ago, they having purchased the plant of E.B. Facey & Co. They do all kinds of work incidents to a first-class plumbing shop. They do a general business in gas fitting and steam heating. They make a specialty of the Capital steam and hot water heater. This firm have three sets of men continually at work.

JohnALoos

Pg. 26 JOHN G. LOOS the senior member of the plumbing firm of John G. Loos & Son, was born in Germany in the year 1849. He came to this country in 1868. Mr. Loos first settled in Belvidere, Ill. After residing in Belvidere one year he moved to Chicago. He moved to Sterling in 1872 and has been a resident of this city ever since.

JohnGLoos

Robert LYTLE, one of the most popular bakers in the city conducts his business at 107 East Third street. He is comparatively young in business here, having only began last spring. He runs one wagon which delivers his wares in all parts of the city. In connection with the bakery he conducts a well patronized restaurant.

(No Photo)

Pg. 31 CHARLES T. MACK, the well known job printer, was born in this city in 1863. His first experience in the printing trade was as a compositor on THE STANDARD in 187. His father, C.M. Mack, started the STANDARD in 1868, an article on which can be seen in another part of this work. Mr. Mack purchased his present job office in 1884 and has successfully conducted the business ever since. He does a general busines in job printing and does good work. His office is the official job office of this city.

BusinessCharlesMack

John G. MANAHAN came to Sterling when he was but twelve years of age. He entered the practice of law about the year 1867. He served one term in the State Legislature in the early seventies and has since that time filled various positions in the municipal government. He devotes the greater portion of his time to the practice of patent law.

(No Photo)

W.F. MANGAN located at 312 First avenue was established in 1879 and has been under the management of the genial W.F. Mangan. All kinds of hand made harness, well and stylishly built can be obtained here. Two men are kept busy filling the firm's orders. Mr. Mangan also is engaged in the hide business, always paying the highest market prices.

(No Photo)

McCALLISTER & SNART, 304 First avenue, merchant tailors, have been in business for the past five years. Their trade extends from the Pacific to the Atlantic coasts; agents solicit for them in all parts of the US.

(No Photo)

Pg. 47 J. V. McCARTY, the Rock Falls coal dealer, was born in London, England in 1842. He came to this country in 1850 and first located in McHenry county, where he lived for one year. Mr. McCarty moved to Elgin in 1851, where he remained for two years, moving to Pecatonica in 1853. He came to this section of the country in 1857 and settled on the territory of what now constitutes Rock Falls. Mr. McCarty was a trustee when Rock Falls was a village. He started in the coal business in Rock Falls in 1882, where he has since conducted the business very successfully. He enlisted in the 34th Illinois Infantry and served three years. He is an ex-commander of Will Enderton Post of this city.

JVMcCarty

Pg. 47 A. J. McNEIL, of A.J. McNeil & Co., was born in 1857 on the territory where Rock Falls is now located. He received his education in the little red school house east of town. He worked on his father's farm until he was twenty-six years of age. He commenced business in 1883 in partnership with A.M. Batcheller in the agricultural implement business. Disposing of his interest in the agricultural implement business a few years later he became a knight of the grip and traveled for the Sterling Manufacturing Co. and the Barnes Manufacturing Co. of Freeport. Mr. McNeil established his present business over nine years ago. Nearly two years ago his establishment was completely burned out in which his loss was large. During the summer of 1896 he erected his present model store and in September of that year moved in. This firm handle a full line of heaters and cooks, among which is the Leader and Acorn stoves and Mississippi Valley Co.'s stoves. Mr. McNeil is a director in the K.G.M.B.A. and a member of the I.O.O.F.

AJMcNeil

MEYERS & ESHLEMAN drug store, located at 21 East Third street, occupies one of the oldest stands in the city. In November 1892 the present firm began business and has one of the most popular stores. Both membes are registered pharmacist of many years experience. They also have a very large stock of wallpaper, glass and painters materials. During the summer months they run a fine soda fountain.

(No Photo)

W. MICHELS has conducted a store at 20 West Third street for a dozen years or more, having purchased the stock from P. Unkel. He has a carefully selected line of boots and shoes, rubbers and rubber boots with an excellent repair shop.

(No Photo)

J.E. McPHERRAN has practiced law in this city (Sterling) since 1863. He is a graduate of the Washington and Jefferson College of of the class of 1857. He holds a diploma from the Law Department of the Chicago University. Mr. McPherran has the distinction of having been the first minority Representative to be elected in this Senatorial district. His election took place in 1872.

(No Photo)

Pg. 35 AUGUST MILLER, is the leading dealer of Sterling in hides, pelts, furs, tallow, wool, old iron and metals of all kinds, also rags and rubber. He was born in Germany in the year 1868 and came to Sterling in 1882. He worked on farms for years. He was in the employ of Wm. Wolf for eight years and then bought him out and has since been successfully running the business for two years and over.

AugustMiller

Pg. 27 D.L. MILLER, the present mayor of Sterling, was born in Maryland and lived there until the age of eighteen. He came west and located on a farm in Ogle county where he lived several years. Mr. Miller moved to Iowa in 1875 and resided in that State five years. He has been a resident of Sterling since 1880. His occupation is that of district manager of the Phoenix Insurance Company and his territory takes in the northern counties of this State. Mr. Miller was elected to the office of mayor October 23 of this, year, to fill the unexpired term caused by the death of Hon. James F. Platt.

DLMiller

Pg. 34 O.W. MILLER, the barber, was born near Sterling in 1864. After he developed into a young man he opened a barber shop near Cedar Rapids, IA where he lived until 7 years ago, when he came here and opened a shop under the Galt House which he conducted for 6 years. He removed to his present location under the Farwell block, south of the postoffice, a short time ago. He makes a specialty of shampooing ladies hair, by a new process.

OWMiller

MILLER & PRICHARD, 202 Avenue A, have been in Sterling but five months, during which time they have painted some of the handsomest signs to be seen in the city, They came to this j city from Chicago, where for ten years Mr.Prichard was manager of the Divide Sign Company.

(No Photo)

John H. MOONEY, 310 Locust street, has been in business in Sterling since 1880. In 1884, with John Mee, he opened a shoe store in the room now occupied by him. He purchased his partner's interest nearly three months' ago and is now conducting the business himself. Mr. Mooney carries a line of boots and shoes, rubbers and all articles to be found in a first class establishment.

(No Photo)

Walter J. MOORE conducts one of the oldest business enterprises in the city. It was first established by H. B. Colcord, in 1855, and in 1891 Mr. Moore purchased the business of the founder, which he has conducted ever since. He carries a large stock of granites and marbles.

(No Photo)

Morrison Produce Co located at the corner of First avenue and Second street, is managed by J.J. Hurlburt. The company buys and sells all kinds of poultry, paying for its good the highest market prices. The fowls are dressed here and shipped entirely to the wholesale trade

(No Photo)

MUELLER and GROVE at 108 East Third street was founded by Detweiller and Mueller in March 1889. Two years afterward m. C. Grove bought Mr. Detweilers interest and the firm name ws changed to Mueller & Grove. Cloth, boots and shoes and gentlemens' furnishign goods is their line. They have largely increased their business from time to time, until they have a splendid stock in every department.

(No Photo)

C. A. MUELLER, (M.D.) has been a practitioneer in Sterling but one year, though he already enjoys a large practice. Before coming to Sterling he had an office in St. Louis, where he was engaged in his profession seven years. He was graduated from the Missouri College, St. Louis, in the class of 1888.

(No Photo)

NEW YORK LEADER, 22 West Third street, is one of the recent, though prosperous, business houses in Sterling. It was located here nearly four months ago. The stock comprises a gneeral line of clothing, shoes and furnishing goods.

(No Photo)

Philip NICE - The Summitt Place grocery store, located on econd avenue between Tenth and Eleventh streets, is far from the least important of Sterling's houses. Mr. Nice owns his building, having erected it early in the fall, and carries a fine and complete line of groceries. His store is a great convenience to the people of Summit Place.

(No Photo)

Pg. 34 Capt. JOHN W. NILES was born in NY. He came west in 1856 after completing his education at the Hamilton Academy. Mr. Niles first located in Jones Co IA, where he resided at the breaking out of the civil war. He responded to the call for troops by enlisting in Co B 9th IA Inf., the first company raised in Iowa. Captain Niles served four years in the army. During the time of his service he was promoted to the position of captain of his company. He was in the seige before Vicksburg, in battles in the Atlanta campaign, and on the march to the sea under Sherman and Logan. Captain Niles is secretary of all the differeent Masonic lodges in the city, has been secretary of the Sterling school board for twenty years and is a charter member of Will Robinson Post, No. 274, of which he has been commander twice. He is also a member of the board of trustees of the IL Soldiers Home, a justice of the peace and notary public of this city, and has served two terms as alderman of the Second ward.

JohnWNiles

Pg. 30 PETER O'HAIR, inventer and manufacturer of the artificial stone cement paving bearing his name, the reputation of which extends even outside the State, was born in Ireland, coming to America and to Sterling in the year 1855. While working at his trade as a stone cutter he perfected his discovery, and about eighteen years ago patented it. Some twelve miles of this work is laid in Sterling, and more in Rock Falls and heighboring cities. There is nothing finer anywhere, nor anything of the kind that better withstands the climatic eccentricities of this part of the country. It is fashioned also into lawn vases, cemetery coping, window and door sills, carriage and residence steps and curbing.

PeterOHair

G.B. OETTINGER, 17-19 East Third street, came to this city in July 1890, and took charge of the clothing business of his brother, who shortly afterward died. He purchased the stock and rapidly made many acquaintances who go to the "Double Front" for all their necessities in gentlemen's furnishing goods and clothing. Mr. Oettinger has the largest store of its kind in the city.

(No Photo)

Pg. 27 Harry. H. OVER the well known proprietor of the Kandy Kitchen, was born in this city in the year 1870. He is a graduate of the Sterling high school, after which he was employed as clerk in the grocery store of Over & Seidel. He purchased the Kandy Kitchen in 1894 and has since successfully conducted the business. Mr. Over deals in all kinds of confectionery, cigars, soda water, oysters and ice cream in season.

HHOver

Over & Seidel
Pg. 35 W. H. OVER, the active member of the well known retail grocery house of Over & Seidel, was born on a farm near Sterling in the year 1859. He moved to the city in 1865.

CHARLES G. SEIDEL, the other member of the firm, was born in Germany and came to this country in 1851 at age 14. The firm of Over & Seidel was formed in 1892, both members having had years of experience in the trade. Mr. Over was for years a grocery clerk. He first started in the grocery business in 1881 under the firm name of Over & Tumbleson. This firm enjoys a very extensive trade in this city and county. They run several delivery wagons in Sterling to accommodate their patrons.

CGSeidel
Charles G. Seidel
WHOver
W.H. Over

Pg. 30 J.P. OVERHOLSER, the well known grocer, was born in the State of Ohio in the year 1841. He came west in 1854 and settled on a farm near Sterling. In 1869 he moved to this city and has since been a resident here. Five years later he opened a grocery store which he has successfully conducted since. In addition to a fine line of groceries and provision he has a good stock of crockery. Mr. Overholser is supervisor for the town of Sterling, and is one of our most public spirited men. He is an earnest worker in the Sabbath school, and interested in all eligious and moral influences which tend to the elevation and bettering of mankind in general.

JPOverholser

Pg. 48 W.M. PALMER, the Rock Falls wood-worker, was born in the State of New york in 1858. He moved to this county twenty-five years ago and first located in Sterling. One year later he moved to Rock Falls and has since resided there. Three years ago he started a shop and equipped it with modern wood-working machinery. Mr. Palmer does all kinds of wood-turning, grill work, planing and special furniture and pattern work.

WMPalmer

Pg. 33 William P. PALMER, the justice of the peace, was born in Pennsylvania in the year 1845. He came west and located in Sterling in 1877 and has lived here ever since. Mr. Palmer served the city as alderman for two consecutive terms and was superintendent of streets and sewers under two administrations. He has also filled the office of justice of the peace for nine years and is filling that office at present. He has also served as city clerk. Mr. Palmer was also a director of the Wallace school.

WPPalmer

Pg. 47 Capt. WILLIAM PARKER, is the senior member of the firm of Parker & Mentzer, editors and proprietors of the Rock Falls News, which he established in 1883, and has been continuously connected with since. He is a native of Kentucky, but a resident of Illinois since 1855, having all the time been in the newspaper business as printer and editor, except three years spent in the army, during the rebellion, as an officer in the 75th Illinois Infantry. In politics he has been a member of the Republican party since its organization, and keeps in line with his party at all times. He is also prominent in Grand Army circles. Image of Mr. Parker's Residence

WmParker

Pg. 34 JOHN PECK, lumber & coal merchant; place of business located at 205 W. Third street, where he has a good stock of all kinds of coal, lumber, salt, lime, cement, etc. He also conducts a planing mill on his premises, where he is prepared to do any thing in the line of interior finish. John Peck was born in Fayette Co. PA in 1845. He left PA in 1862, and located near Zanesville, Ohio. Mr. Peck served his country well during the late civil war. He enlisted May 12, 1862, in the Fifth Ohio cavalry and served uner Burnside in Kentucky and Tennessee, in the Department of Ohio. Mr. Peck was afterwards, in 1864, transferred to the Army of the Potomac and was engaged in all the important battles fought by that army. He served three years and six months. Mr. Peck came to Sterling in 1874. In April 1886 he established the business which he has since successfully conducted. Mr. Peck commenced in a small way and has now three teams constantly employed.

JohnPeck

Pg. 26 GEORGE G. PERRY, the druggist, was born in Delaware in the year 1849. He came west in 1858 and first located in Carroll county, Ill. He moved to Sterling and established himself in the drug business in 1883, which he has conducted ever since. His place of business is No. 8 East Third street, where he has a full line of drugs, paints, oils, druggist sundries, stationery, photo cameras and supplies. Mr. Perry is a careful and well informed pharmacist, and has a large prescription trade.

GeorgePPerry

Pg 27 J.E. PHILIPS, the senior member of the hardward and stove firm of J.E. Philips & Co., was born in Pennsylvania in the year 1848. He came west in 1872 and first located in Colorado, where he resided only a short time. Mr. Philips moved to Sterling twenty-three years ago and established the business he now conducts. The firm is composed of J.E. Philips and R.S. Philips. This firm carries a full line of hardward, stoves, tinware, etc., and enjoy a large trade throughout this section of country.

JEPhillips

Pg 27 ELWOOD J. PITTMAN, the rising young auctioneer, was born in 1875 in Hopkins township, Whiteside county. As a boy he assisted his father on the farm, getting a common school education during the winter months. From a boy up he has had a taste for auctioneering, and about two years ago, acting upon the advice of numerous friends, he decided to make it a business. He makes a specialty of farm and stock sales, and having been raised a farmer's son, is well posted on anything connected iwth a far or stock, and with his natural ability makes a decided success as an auctioneer.

ElwoodJPittman

Pg. 32 J. W. PLATT, secretary of the Sterling Manufacturing Company, was born in England in 1858. He came to this country in 1868 and located in this city. Seven years later he became identified with the Sterling Manufacturing Company, assuming the office of secretary, which he still holds. Mr. Platt is eminent commander of the Sterling commandery Knights Templars, No. 57.

JWPlatt

Pg. 26 J.D. POLLOCK, the well known dentist, was born in Vermont in the year 1850. After a thorough common school education he attended and graduated from a dental college in New Orleans and afterwards at the dental college at St. Louis, Mo. Directly after his graduation he opened an office in this city where he has been located ever since. He has a large practice and does very satisfactory work as he thoroughly understands the different departments of dental surgery. He is associated in his business with his son, E. W., who has recently completed a course in Chicago.

DJPollock

Louis RAINONE - A large stock of fruit, candy, cigars and tobacco can always be found in the store. He began business six years ago in a very small way at 117 East Third street.

(No Photo)

Pg. 34 R.H. RAMSDELL, was born in South Rockford, Ill., in 1855. He came to Sterling in 1870. He was first employed in the brick yard of Peter Keller. He started in business for himself by purchasing the half interest of M.B. Fitzgerald in the east end brick yard in 1889. The new firm of Fitzgerald & Ramsdell, consisting of J.M. Fitzgerald and R.H. Ramsdell, continued six years when Mr. Ramsdell purchased the interest of his partner. He is an extensive contractor and the following are among buildings on which he has done the brick work: Columbia paper mill, English Lutheran church, The Keystone plant, McNeil's hardware store, Davis & Wilkinson's block, Johns' soda water factory, Frank Galt residence, Charter Gas Engine Co.'s building, Congregational church.

RHRamsdell

Pg. 34 W.L. REIGER: One of the cheapest places in Sterling where you can purchase almost an entire outfit for housekeeping purposes is at the "Bargin House" of Reiger & Loux, on Locust street. W.L. Reiger was born in Henry county in the year 1863 and came to Sterling when seventeen years of age. He was for many years employed by H.W. Moses, the poultry buyer, whose main office is at Geneseo, Ill. Mr. Reiger was afterwards for two years in the grocery business at Rochelle, just before his advent in Sterling. N. F. LOUS was born in Pennsylvania in the year 1845. He came to Sterling in 1864 and for years worked at this trade of carpenter and coach maker. He has been a farmer for twenty-four years that he has been west. The firm of Reiger & Lous was formed about two years ago, when the present premises occupied by the firm were leased. The premises are large and commodious and have been arranged especially for the reception of all kinds of house furnishing goods. At the "Bargain Store" you can find anything in the line of furniture in new and second-hand, stoves new and second-hand, and many other useful things needed by the family. It is the cheapest house in Whiteside county.

 

Pg. 35 LEWIS REITZEL, proprietor of the flour and feed store, corner of Third street and second avenue, was born in Pennsylvania in 1866. He came west with his parents when about one year old and the family located on a farm in this county. Eight years ago Mr. Reitzel moved to Sterling and opened a flour and feed store in a small building on the same lot he now occupies. Later he purchased the lot and erected a substantial building especially fited for his busibess. He deals in flour and feed, baled hay, etc., and grinds all kinds of feed. He does a wholesale as well as a retail business.

LewisReitzel

Charles H. RICHARDSON, 121-153-125 West Third street, has been engaged in the farm implement business for himself for three years; he has been eighteen years in this line of business in Sterling.

(No Photo)

Pg. 32 GEORGE M. ROBINSON was born in the State of Ohio in the year 1854. The family came west and first located at Dixon, Ill., in 1856, where he lived until 1861, when he moved to this city. His first employment in Sterling was that of messenger boy for the Patterson bank in 1872. A few years later he secured the position of bookkeeper for the Charter Gas Engine Co., then known as the Williams & Orton Manufacturing Co. Mr. Robinson has been with this firm ever since, rising from one position to another until he reached the top of the ladder, that of president and treasurer.

GeorgeMRobinson

W.E. ROSE, maker and repairer of boots and shoes, located above The Standard office has been here since May 1885. He makes all kinds of foot wear, giving especial attention to shoes for cripples. He began the business at eleven years of age and is thoroughly experienced.

(No Photo)

Pg. 31 ROBERT ROSENTHAL. This well known house occupies one of the best business locations in Sterling, in a building recently entirely remodeled and handsomely equipped under Mr. Rosenthal's direct supervision, with a stock of clothing, boots and shoes and gentlemen's furnishing goods now, as always, one of the most complete in the city. The present proprietor located here in June, 1890. He has had a long experience in the trade, which he puts to good use in selecting a reliable stock of an attractive character.

RobertRosenthal

ROURK Brothers. For the past two years have conducted a grocery store at 112 East Third street. They are both natives of the city and hold a good share of the trade in their line. A full stock of everything in their line is always to be found in their store. Prompt delivery is assured as they run two wagons for that purpose. The store room has been recently much improved and is one of the most desirable locations.

(No Photo)

Pg. 25 LEVI R. RUTT, well known wagon manufacturer, was born in Pennsylvania in the year 1845. He came west in 1864 and first located in Prairieville, Ill. Mr. Rutt came to Sterling in 1882. He was first engaged in the ice business, which he conducted for three years, then a livery stable and afterward a contractor in grading work. He opened his present shop two years ago. Mr. Rutt does general repair work of any and all kinds of wagons, carriages, machines, etc.

LeviRRutt

Matthias SCHMITZ has conducted a grocery store at 3 Avenue B, for twenty years or more. He has always carried a complete stock of groceries and proviions and has enjoyed a large trade, confined for the greater part to his immediate neighborhood, though he has also a country trade.

(No Photo)

S.A. SCHMOEGER has conducted a meat market in this city for the past twenty-three years, and has been at 122 East Third street for twenty years. He is the oldest butcher in the city and holds an enviable trade. He employs two men and devotes his own time entirely to his business.

(No Photo)

Pg. 27 J.H. SHAFOR, mine host of the Galt House, wsa born in Ohio in the year 1839. Before coming to Sterling he had considerable experience in running hotels in Ohio and Indiana, having been in the business since he was twenty-five years of age. He came to Sterling in 1893 and leased the Galt House, which he has maintained as a very popular hotel, enjoying a large patronage from the traveling publis. The hotel is the larges in the city.

ShaforBusiness

Pg. 35 F.G. SHEAFFER, the well known peddler of oils, was born in Sterling in the year 1855. He has been working in the city for years in different capacities. Last June he purchased the oil business which had been heretofore conducted by J. St. J. Greenough. He goes all over this city and Rock Falls with his wagon and sells gasoline and kerosene.

FGSheaffer

Pg. 48 H. L. SHELDON, of the Rock Falls law firm of White & Sheldon, was born in Burear County, Illinois, in the year 1858. He attended Knox college and took a course in the law department. Mr. Sheldon as admited to practice in the State in 1883 and soon afterward moved to Dakota where he served his county as school superintendent for three years and afterwards as a member of the legislature. He lived in Dakota ten years when he moved to Rock Falls and entered into partnership with J.W. White in the practice of law. Mr. Sheldon is city attorney of Rock Falls.

HLSheldon

Pg. 33 C.F. SMITH, the photographer, was born in Iowa and learned the trade in Council Bluffs. He came to Sterling and started in business in 1880. Mr. Smith is one of the oldest photograph artists in this section of the country. A large part of the photo reproductions in this work are from his studio. His place of business is located at 108 East Third Street, Sterling. Mr. Smith makes a specialty of landscape and portrait work, guaranteeing satisfaction in all instances.

CFSmith

Pg. 36 MARION F. SPALSBURY, who conducts a tonsorial parlor at No. 306 East Third street, was born in New York State in 1841. He came west when twelve years of age, with his father, and located on Fox river, at Bristol, Ill., remaining there about four years, when they came to Sterling, Ill., in 1855, remaining here nearly three years, when they moved to Lyons, Iowa, where he was at the time of the first call for troops at the outbreak of the War of the Rebellion. He came to Sterling and enlisted as a member of Company D, 75th regiment of volunteer infantry, and took part in the battles of Perryville, Ky., Chaplin Hills, skirmish at Lancaster, battle of Stone River, Nolensville, Chickamauga, Lookout Mountain, Missionary Ridge, battle of Ringgold and other engagements to the close of the war.

MFSpalsbury

Pg. 35 FRANK LESLIE SPANGLER, the assistant superintendent of the Metropolitan Life Insurance Company of New York, was born in Indiana in 1873. His first experience in lief insurance was at Peoria, Ill., where he was solicitor for the same company he now repesents. Mr. Spangler was promoted to the position of assistant superinendent of the same company with headquarters at Rockford, Ill. He was transferred to Sterling lat May and given the territory of Sterling, Rock Falls and Dixon.He is one of the most active men in the employ of the company since he has been here has increased the business wonderfully. The plan of the the company embraces all the members of the family between the ages of one and seventy years. Premiums from five to sixty cents per week. Claims paid immediately at death. Benefitis range from $15 to $1000 and upwards. This company also issues all forms of policies from $500 to $25,000 on the ordinary plan.

FLSpangler

Walter STAGER has been a lawer in Sterling for more than twenty-five years. He was elected State's Attorney of Whiteside county in 1880 and has served continually in that capacity since that time, having recently been elected to the office for another term of four years. This of course, has made him a specialist in criminal law.

(No Photo)

Pg. 35 CHARLES STALEY, the horseshoer, located at no. 5 West Fourth street, was born in the State of Ohio in the year 1862. When only two years old the family moved to Illinois and first located at Farmer City. When 16 years of age Mr. Staley learned the trade which he now masters. He then started out to see the country and learn what he could from other men. After working for four years in the principal cities throughout the western States he located at Bouulder, Col., where he ran a business for himself until he located here in 1893. He has just finished an addition to his place of business in the shape of an engine house, for the reception of a Charter gas engine, which he uses to run a fan to supply blast for the forges and run an emery wheel to sharpen his tools and polish shoes. Mr. Staley is a licensed horseshoer and is considered one of the best in the State.

ChStaley

Mrs. J. W. R. STAMBAUGH, 213 First avenue is a hustling dealer in wall paper, window shades, glass, picture frames, etc. In connection with this business, she conducts, under the management of Ed.F. Baker, a large paste manufactory.

(No Photo)

Pg. 47 A.C. STANLEY, the popular and well known grocer, of Rock Falls, was born in DuPage County in 1844. He came to Rock Falls in 1873 and worked at his trade of carpenter for over a year when he accepted a position with the Rock Falls Manufacturing Company as superintendent. Mr. Stanley remained with this firm nine years when he resigned his position to engage in the grocery business, purchasing the stock of John Newton. The large brick building he now occupies was erected by him in 1892, the lower part being devoted to his large grocery and the upper part as a hotel, named after him. Mr. Stanley has the largest grocery in Rock Falls and does the biggest business. He is president of the Rock Falls Building & Loan Association and a member of nearly all the different secret organizations.

ACStanley.jpg

Sterling Department Store was established by Messrs. Morris & Tripp, in their present location in the Wallace Block, 107 W. Third street, within the past six months. The stock is general. The heads of the firm are young men and both are hustler. The stock being new, everything is up-to date and no shelf worn goods are to be found.

(No Photo)

The Sterling Gas and Electric Light Company was founded in Sterling more than twenty years ago. The present Board of Directors is as follows: John Charter, Victor Schiffmacher, C. L. Sheldon, John G. Manahan and W. A. Sanborn. The officers are W. A. Sanborn, President. and Treasurer; John G. Manahan, Vice President, and Elmer Crawford, Secretary. The present system of electric lights in Sterling was put in by this company eight years ago. The office of the company is located at 108 West Third Street.

(No Photo)

The Sterling Marble and Granite Works, 306 Second avenue, is one of the older business institutions of the city. Its present proprietor, Fred. L. Johnson, is a Sterling boy. The works were founded by the present proprietor's father, L. P. Johnson. Fred. L. Johnson is a practical workman of superior abilities. Specimens of his workmanship are to be found in all parts of the surrounding country.

(No Photo)

Pg. 33 Malty C. STEVENS, the obliging iceman, was born in the city of Sterling in the year 1874. Four years ago he embarked in the ice business, organizing the Crystal Ice Co. Mr. Stevens makes a special term on ice according to the quantity used. He furnishes a pure article, taken from the river above the sewage of the city. He is doing an excellent business.

MaltbyCStevens

Pg. 32 T.C. STEWART, secretary and manager of the Eureka Company, was born in Pennsylvania n the year of 1866. He came west in 1883 and located at Sterling. Mr. Sewart was first employed as salesman in the dry goods house of D.M. Crawford & Co. For four years he was traveling salesman and later was promoted to his present position.

TCStewart

Bernard STOLTZ, 22 East street is one of the best known shops for the repairing of shoes and is also the oldest stand of a shop of this kind in the city. The present owner began business here in the spring of 1894. He does not have any time to work on new shoes, though he is a first class tradesman.

(No Photo)

Miss Kate SULLIVAN, 17 East Third street has been in the dressmaking business in this city for the past four years and has gained an enviable reputation for skill and taste. She employs seven sewing women and her business is growing so fast that additional assistance will soon be necessary.

(No Photo)

Pg. 37 HERVEY S. STREET, one of the old time residents of this city, was born in 1839 in Berkshire county, Mass. As a boy he moved to Western New York, where he resided until 1860, when he located in Sterling and entered the farm machinery business, which he conducted successfully for seventeen or eighteen years. In 1883, having retired from this business, he opened a coal office at the corner of Depot and Locust streets, which he is still conducting, enjoying a good trade and the confidence of the people. In 1864 he was elected alderman of his ward, and in 1881, 1884 and 1885 was elected mayor of the city.

HarveySStreet

The J. S. STRICKLER Co. has for several years been engaged in the manufacture of Perry's Concentrated Butter Color on Avenue H. The business is personal1y conducted by J.S. Strickler, Secretary and Treasluer of the concern.

(No Photo)

J.F. STROCK  purchased this business a little less than three years ago and has been exceptionally successful in it. He keeps a full stock of boots and shoes and in connection with the store, runs a shop for repairing foot wear. His store is at 116 East Third Street.

(No Photo)

Pg. 33 Frank R. TAYLOR, the senior member of the firm of F.R. Taylor & Co., was born in New York State in the year 1844. Twenty-One years later he came west and located in Chicago. In the year 1884 he came to Sterling and for several years was engaged at his trade of tin and coppersmith. He worked for the old firm of Witmer & Emmett, who are now out of business, and later worked for Crawford Bros., in the same line of business. F.R. Taylor & Co. started in business five years ago and are agents for the Kelsey and Perfect Warm Air Generators. They do all kinds of galvanized iron and coppeer cornice, metal ceilings, skylights, slate, tin and corrugated steel roofing. The residences of J.H. Lawrence, C.C. Johnson and H.B. Anning, of this city, and the residence of W.B. Page and Chas. Hughes, of Dixon, have the Kelsey hot air furnace.

FRTaylor

Mrs. R.A. TRACY, 104 East Third street, is the oldest milliner in the city, having opened her store here ten years ago, and has been in business since that time. Silled and artistic trimmers only are employed and everything possible is done to please her patrons.

(No Photo)

Pg. 32 JOHN D. TRACY, was born in Massachusets in the year 1834. He came west and located in Sterling in 1872. A year previous to his locating here he had purchased an interest in the Sterling Mfg. Co., which was incorporated in 1870. Mr. Tracy has been president and treasurer of the company since its inception.

JDTracy

TRACY & AUMENT, located at 404 Locust street does a general line of blacksmithing and wagon and buggy repairs. The partnership was formed in the spring of 1892, when a shop was opened at their present location. The members of the firm are both practical workmen in their line and they give their personal attention to all work placed in their hands. In addition to the repair work, special orders for new wagons or buggies are taken.

(No Photo)

Pg. 36 JACOB TREASHER, the old and reliable coal dealer, was born in Pennsylvania in the year 1824. He came west and settled in Sterling in 1870 and engaged in the business of blacksmithing and horshoeing, which he conducted until 1887 when he embarked in the coal business, opening an office near the C.B. & Q. depot (223 Locust St). Mr. Treasher deals in all kinds of hard and soft coal and he enjoys a fine trade in both cities. His yards ae convenient to both lines of railroad. He sells excellent grades of both hard and soft coal. A specialty is made also of both heavy and light draying. All orders for coal are delivered promptly.

JTreasher

Pg. 37 C.S. VanDeMARK, proprietor of the "Merchants' Cafe," was born in Sterling in 1876. He attended the public schools of this city. Three years ago he opened a lunch counter on First avenue and named it the "merchants' Cafe," Four months ago he opened a similar eating house in Morrison and calls it "Van's Cafe." The "Merchants Cafe" in this city enjoys a large lunch trade and is considered one of the cheapest and best places to get a "good square meal." "Van's Cafe," at Morrison, is run more on the restaurant plan, and it also enjoys a large patronage.

CSVanDeMark

Pg. 48 N. G. VAN SANT, of the firm Coe & VanSant, of Rock Falls, was born in the city of Rock Island in 1846. For many years before he came to Rock Falls he had been employed on the Mississippi river in connection with his brother, Samuel VanSant. He enlisted in the 9th Illinois Cavalry during the war and served two years and was a former commander of Will Robinson Post, which place he filled in 1891. He is an official member of the Rock Falls M.E. Church. He was a delegate to the general conference of the M.E. church at Cleveland in 1896.

NGVanSant

W.W. WAHL 315 First avenue, the butcher, has been in business at his present stand nearly four years. He is capably assisted by Henry Bougartz and ludolph Holtz, both of whom enjoy his entire confidence.

(No Photo)

Pg. 26 H.C. WARD, County Judge of Whiteside, was born in Ohio in the year 1850. He came west in 1872 and settled in Sterling. Mr. Ward studied law in the office of Kilgour & Manahan, and a few years later was admitted to the bar. Mr. Ward was elected County Judge in the fall of 1894. Just preceeding his election to the office of Judge, he had been City Attorney of Sterling. He also served two other terms as City Attorney. Mr. Ward is attorney and director in the Whiteside Building and Loan Association.

Judge HCWard

John WARD, this old and reliable coal dealer, established himself in his present location, 205 Avenue A, over twenty years ago. His coal yards are situated on the C.B.& Q and C & N.W. railroads. Mr. Ward handles the bet grades of both hard and soft coal as well as kindling wood. Operating with ample facilities he is able to supply orders on short notice. His personal efforts are directed to the management of his business which has grown to large proportions.

(No Photo)

Pg. 26 Michael Charles WARD, the popular manager of the Academy of Music, was born in this city in the year 1868. He was educated in the publis schools here, since which time he has assisted his father in the coal business. Mr. Ward leased the Academy of Music two years ago and he has given general satisfaction. He has a number of fine attractions billed for this winter, among which will be the Murray & Mack Company in "Finnigan's Wake," who will appear here on the evening of December 27.

MCWard

Milton H. WARD is well known throughout this vicinity, where he has acted in the capacity of auctioneer for the past fourteen years. He is popular with all and is thoroughly conversant with all the details of his business. Farm sales are his specialty and during the winter season his services are in great demand.

(No Photo)

Pg. 28 I. L. WEAVER, the young lawyer and justice of the peace, was born in Sterling in the year 1873. He graduated in the Kent College of Law in the year 1896. Mr. Weaver returned to Sterling after his collegiate course and established himself in the practice of his profession, taking into partnership with him Charles Deets, under the firm of Weaver & Deets. He was elected to the office of justice of the peace last spring.

ILWeaver

Pg. 33 B.P. WERNTZ, member of the city council, Sterling, was born in PA in 1859. He came west with his family in 1865, locating in Sterling, where he attended the public schools and graduated from the Sterling Business College. In 1878 Mr. Werntz opened a cigar store. After the death of his father, in 1880, he assumed management of the business, which was eventually disposed of and Mr. Werntz accepted a position with C. Burkholder which he held until 1885 when he accepted the position he now holds with the Keystone Mfg. Co. He was elected alderman last spring and is chairman of the committee on printing and a member of the committees on finance & judiciary. He is manager of the 6th Regiment Band.

BPWerntz

John WERRESS wagon snop is well known to all Sterling. It is located on First avenue and Second street. Mr. Werres manufactures all kinds of wagons and does a general repairing business. In connection with this he conducts a horse shoeing department. Mr. Werres has been in business here about twenty-two years.

(No Photo)

Pg. 33 Prof. C.A. WETZELL, although a young man, has reached a high degree of proficiency in penmanship and art. He executes work for steel and copper-plate engravings; resolutions engrossed, wedding invitations written in latest styles, card writing, etc.; gives private instructions in charcoal, pencil, pen and ink drawing; also, all styles of fancy "auto" lettering for display work. He is the teacher of penmanship and drawing in the Sterling school.

ProfCAWetzell

Pg. 25 John G. WETZEL was born in Hopkins Twp., where he spent his boyhood days on a farm. In June, 1887, he graduated from the common schools and then spent one year at college, and later took a thorough course at the Sterling Busienss College. In June, 1889, he entered the employ of Galt & Tracy as bookkeeper at the Eureka Company, which position he held until October 1, 1890, when he was transferred to the same position in Galt & Tracy's bank, which he held for four years, when he was promoted to cashier of Galt & Son's bank, which he filled satisfactorily until the bank went out of business in February, 1896. On Arpil 15, 1896, he was elected to the position of secretary of the Whiteside County Building and Loan Association. He conducts a large local insurance agency, representing several of the leading American fire insurance companies and also the Massachusetts Mutual Life Insurance Company and the Banker's Life Insurance Company, of Des Moines, Iowa.

JohnGWetzel

Clarence E. WHITE the carriage manufacturer,is located at 1207 East Fourth street, where he has been in business since 1866. Besides building new work he does a general repairing business. The shop is well known to Sterling people, and the work turned out is always of the best. Mr. White is one of Sterling's aldermen.

(No Photo)

Pg. 48 J. W. WHITE, (Biography) of the Rock Falls law firm of White & Sheldon, was born in this county in 1853. After attending the public schools he took a course in the law department of the Iowa University. Mr. White was admitted to the bar and established in Tampico in 1878. Four years ago he entered into partnership with H. L. Sheldon in Rock Falls. Mr. White has served four terms as a member of the legislature and has been a member of the board of directors of the Modern Woodmen of America.

JWWhite

Oliver WICKEL has conducted a carriage painting business at 222 East Third street for the past seven years. Work of the finer class is his specialty and he has established an enviable reputation for reliability and good workmanship throughout this vicinity. Of late he has turned his attention to the reenameling of bicycle frames with much success.

(No Photo)

Miss Alice E. WILKINSON conducts one of the popular millinery stores of the city. She has been in the business for the past six years at No. 5 East Third street and holds a good trade. She employs expert and artistic trimmers and from this fact her business has steadily increased.

(No Photo)

C.E. WILKINSON is the proprietor of the meat market, 104 West Third street known as the Sterling Packing Co. He personally conducts the business, giving attention to its smallest details.

(No Photo)

A. A. WILLIAMS carriage paint shop is located above Werres. Mr. Wiiliams is the veteran carriage and sign painter in Sterling; he having been in the business twenty-two years. He does all kinds of carriage and sign work and does it well. Recently he has built a large branch shop at his home, 203 Ninteenth avenue.

(No Photo)

Pg. 33 H.W. WILLIAMS, the dyer, was born in Peoria Illinois in the year 1874. He came to Sterling last September and opened his present dye house. While in Peoria he was employed in the government service. Mr. Williams thoroughly understands the dyeing and cleaning trade. He does all kinds of dyeing, cleaning and repairing neatly and promptly.

HWWilliams

Pg. 28 Andrew W. WILSON, engineer of the Sterling water works, was born in the State of Massachusetts in the year 1845. He came west in 1866 and assumed charge of the power house for the water works company, which position he has held ever since. Mr. Wilson is known as one of the best engineers in the country and his ability is second to none in handling the water works machinery.

AndrewWWilson

Pg. 25 Charles E. WINDOM: The largest furniture house in this city is that of Charles E. Windom, who was born in Sterling in the year 1855. This house was established nearly eighteen years ago. Mr. Windom not only has a large stock of every grade and kind of furniture, but he does a fine business in the line of undertaking. He enjoys the distinction of having been president of the State Undertaking Association two terms and twice a delegate to the National Association. Mr. Windom has always taken an active interest in local affairs. He is one of the trustees of the Odd Fellows Lodge, superintendent and treasurer of the Sterling cemetery board, a member of all the Masonic bodies and one of the directors of the new mutual organization known as the Knights and Ladies of America, a Sterling enterprise.

CharlesEWindom

Eight years ago Mellen WING started the store known as The Fair, now at 118 East Third street. His stock was small but every year it has grown larger until at present his large store room is crowded full of a stock of novelties in bewildering variety. House furnishing goods, china, glassware, stove furniture, lamps and toys are a few of the principal departments. He employes several clerks and does a large business.

(No Photo)

Pg. 47 Elhanan C. WINTERS, city clerk of Rock Falls, was born in Indiana in 1843. He came wet in 1847 and first located at Milledgeville, Ill. Mr. Winters was a resident of Milledgeville when he responded to the call of his country by enlisting in Co. A, 34th Illinois Infantry, and was mustered out as first sergeant after serving four years. He located in Sterling in 1876 and was for several years thereafter a traveling salesman. Mr. Winters came to Rock Falls in 1890 and entered the real estate and loan business with F.D. Rosebrook. The partnerhsip was changed October 15, 1895, to Winters & Leitch. Soon after taking up his residence in Rock Falls he was elected justice of the peace, which office he still holds. He has also been city clerk since 1892. Mr. Winters is United States claim agent and is very successful in pushing the claims of old soldiers. He is adjutant of Will Enderton Post and also ex-commander.

ElhananCWinters

Pg. ? William WOLF is a wholesale dealer in hides and tallow. His office is ~ located east of the Wallace Block. Mr. Wolf's business takes him to the neighboring towns a greater portion of the time, where he buys hides and tallow from the retail dealers. He conducts a business of no small proportion.

(No Photo)

Pg. 35 Aaron A. WOLFERSPERGER, (Biography) was born in Whiteside county in the year 1856. After graduation in the public schools he took a course at teh Carthage (Illinois) College, where he graduated. Mr. Wolfersperger next attended the Union College of Law at Chicago, graduating in 1879. He returned to Sterling at once and opened a law office. He served the city as attorney from 1883 - 1890, and was judge of Whiteside county from 1890 to 1894. His ability as a lawyer is second to none in this part of the State, and his practice is very large. He is a very genial gentleman, and that he has the confidence of the community is noted by the large number of estates in his hands for closing.

AAWolfersperger

Pg. 47 R.H. WOODS, the well known alderman and proprietor of the billiard and cigar parlors on East Main street, was born on a farm in this county in the year 1866. He was educated in the Northern Illinois Normal at Dixon, graduating in the teacher and surveying courses, after which he taught school in Nebraska and in Whiteside county for several years. Mr. Woods moved to Rock Falls ten years ago and for two years conducted a livery stable, when he sold out and for one year following was in the employ of the railroads. Two years ago he opened his present place of business. He has a good cigar trade and four nice billiard tables. Mr. Woods was elected a member of the city council in 1894 and re-elected in 1896. He was chairman of the committee on finance the first term and is now chairman of the printing committee and a member of the committees on streets and alleys and ordinance. Mr. Woods is in favor of high license and a higher rate for electric lighting.

RHWoods

Pg. ?  J. F. WOOSTER, 121 , West Third street, is a manufacturers agent. He handles groceries of all kinds, giving especial attention to wholesale trade, and to farmers. All his goods are guaranteed or money refunded. Mr. Wooster has been in this Iine of business about two months.

(No Photo)

Pg. 31 Dr. C.E. Wright, 301 Avenue B, a senior member of the well known livery and veterinary surgeon firm of Wright & Kettle, is a native of Ontario, Canada. He came to Sterling in 1896 and purchased the livery business of Oren Champlin & Son. In November 1896, he took in a partner in the person of W.N. Kettle, who is also a native of Canada. Dr. C.E. Wright, who has attained considerable fame in veterinary surgical work, was, when in Canada, government veterinary aid for the Northwest territories. Mr. Kettle has had considerable experience also in veterinary work. They do surgical as well as dental work and have good hospital accomodations and a fine operating table. They conduct the largest livery in the city and the only stable having rubber tire vehicles, as well as the only boarding stable.

WrightKettle
Dr. C.E. Wright

WNKettle
W.N. Kettle

Pg. 34 Lewis D. WYNN, manufacturer of the well known Black Silk Stove Polish, was born in Ohio in 1849.He came to Sterling twenty-seven years ago and for the last seven years has been making a stove polish. The following testimonial explains its merits: "Island City, Mo. Nov, 7, 1897/Mr. Lewis D. Wynn, Sterling, Ill -Dear Sir, The polish received. Enclosed you will find 23 cents for same. There are others that would like to have some of the polish it it did not cost so much to get it here. My stoves are greatly admired by everyone since I have them polished up with the "Black Silk". I can surely sing, "Shine on, sine on.".. Yours Truly, Minnie Eubank" Reader, ask your hardware or grocery dealer for the "Black Silk" Stove Polish, the cleanest, blackest and outshines all others, and is the best polish on earth.

LewisDWynn

  



BACK -- HOME

Genealogy Trails

© Copyright Genealogy Trails