Como - Hopkins Twp.
Cottonwood/Franklin- Ustick Twp.
Genesee Grove Central - Genesee Twp.
Grove Hill - Mt. Pleasant Twp.
Maple Ridge/West Jordan
Morrison Mennonite Ustick Twp
Mennonite Reformed -Sterling
Milne / Clyde / Alldritt
Minson / Washington St.
Newton / Kingsbury
North Clyde Methodist
Riverside - Sterling
Riverside - Prophetstown
The present discussion regarding the use of flag markers in cemeteries brings up a question regarding the old cemetery located approximately where St. John's Lutheran church now stands.
The only information available - unless someone can furnish something better - is contained in Holland's Sterling and Rock Falls directory of 1875-6 which says:
"The Old Cemetery of Sterling which is some 30 years old contains about two acres and has its entrance at the east send of Locust street, William Goshen is the sexton".
According to the same book, the Sterling Cemetery association was organized Feb. 16, 1865. The Odd Fellows cemetery was organized in 1870 and the Mennonite cemetery is 1869?(bad copy).
It has always been our idea that the Odd Fellows controlled the cemetery, and that the Sterling cemetery was a small offshoot of the Odd Fellows burying ground.
Perhaps our friend, Earl Treat, custodian of the cemetery, can furnish the information. And he, possibly can also furnish the information regarding the old cemetery at the east end of Locust street.
Mr. Treat is familiar with graveyard history and has most of the records. Before the question loses interest, we trust he will furnish the details - if he has them. We would also like to known who originated the "Riverside?".
Scroll down to " Cemeteries and then Burial Permits