Congregational Church, Albany IL
The organization of the Congregational Church and Society of Albany, took place on the 13th day of February, 1842. The meeting was held by members who had withdrawn from the First Presbyterian church, together with some others. Rev. Mr. Hazard acted as Moderator at the meeting, and Mr. Erastus Allen as clerk. After some preliminary proceedings, the following certificate was drawn up and signed: "This certifies that we, Messrs. James Bothwell, William H. Efner, Duty Buck, Erastus Allen, William Bothwell, and Mrs. Hannah Allen, Mrs. Ruth Bothwell, and Mrs. Fannie Buckingham, members of the First Presbyterian Church in Albany, Whiteside County, State of Illinois, being dissatisfied with the principles of said church, and being desirous with others of forming themselves into a Congregational Church, and having taken the preliminary steps assembled at the appointed place and hour on the 13th of February, A.D. 1842, for the purpose of completing our organization and acknowledgment as a church of Christ, to be called the First Congregational Church of Albany, Whiteside County, Illinois, with the Rev. Mr. Hazard, their counselor and moderator, and Mr. E. Allen, their scribe, the undersigned were now embodied, by letter and profession, into an Evangelical church, according to Congregational usage. Signed; James Bothwell, Erastus Allen, Duty Buck, William H. Efner, William Bothwell, G. Buckingham, by profession, Mrs. Ruth Bothwell, Mrs. Fanny Buckingham, Mrs. Dinah Bothwell, by profession."
The articles of Faith and Covenant were then adopted, after which Messrs. Duty Buck and Wm. Bothwell were chosen deacons, and Erastus Allen, clerk. Rev. O. Emerson was the first pastor. On the 20th of July, 1844, E. Allen, James Bothwell, Duty Buck, P. B. Vannest and Washington Olds were elected Trustees for five years "to control the building and use of the meeting house," and on the 1st of December, 1844, the new meeting house of the society was was dedicated. On the 12th of July, 1846, Dr. C. Abbott and James Bothwell were elected deacons for three years. Two of the members died in 1847, James Bothwell on the 31st of January, and Mrs. Lucy Howard on the 1st of March. Rev. A.J. Copland became pastor on the 1st of October, 1847, at a salary of $400 per year, and on the 5th of December, 1849 he was succeeded by Rev. J. J. Hill. P.B. Vannest and J. B. Crosby were elected deacons on the 6th of July, 1850. The following pastors succeeded Rev. Mr. Hill up to 1870: Revs. Nathaniel Pine, James Quick, Samuel Hemenway, Robert Stuart, Chas. Hancock, C.S. Cady, H. S. Hamilton, M. Ostrander, 0. Emerson, and D.R. Macnab. Rev. Mr. Chapman and other ministers filled the pulpit when there was no seated pastor.
Mr. Duty Buck, a member of the church, was killed by the tornado of June 3, 1860. His wife had only died during the March previous. Mr. Henry Pease was chosen clerk of the church on the 31st of March, 1861, which position he still holds. On the 9th of April, 1870, a proposition was received from the Presbyterian church for a union of the two churches "to the end that a minister acceptable to both could be secured." No definite action seems to have been taken in this matter. On the 6th of June, 1874, the members of the church appointed P.B. Vannest, Ezekiel Olds, and S. B. Bliss a committee to wait on a like number from the Presbyterian church at Garden Plain, with a view of obtaining a minister whom both churches could agree to support as a stated supply. This effort eventuated in the call of Rev. N. D. Graves as pastor for both congregations, and in July, 1875, he began his labors. Mr. Graves still remains as such pastor, preaching each Sabbath at Garden Plain in the morning and at Albany in the afternoon. [Source: Bent & Wilson History of Whiteside County 1877]
First Presbyterian Church, Albany IL
The First Presbyterian church of Albany was organized at the house of David Mitchell, in December, 1839, by Rev. Mr. Prentiss, of Fulton. The original members were Mr. and Mrs. Samuel M.Kilgour, Mr. and Mrs. David Mitchell, Mr. and Mrs. Samuel Miller, Mr. and Mrs. John S. Thompson, Mr. and Mrs. Erastus Allen, Mr. and Mrs. Duty Buck, Mrs. Ivy Buck, and Mrs. Francis Buckingham. The first elders were Samuel M. Kilgour and David Mitchell.
From the Church record it appears that the first regular meeting of the Society was held on the 13th of December, 1841, Rev. Enoch Bouton, pastor, when a portion the members withdrew, and formed a Congregational Church. In 1842 Mr. Bouton ceased to be pastor, and during the year 1842, and part of 1843, there was no regular pastor, Rev. Mr. Woodruff, of Rock Island, and Rev. Mr. Waterbury preaching occasionally. In June, 1843, Rev. Silas Sears became pastor and maintained until 1846, when Rev. Oscar Park succeeded him, and continued in the pastorage until 1851. In that year Rev. W. C. Mason became pastor, and upon his retirement in 1856 was succeeded by Rev. Louis Gano. In 1856 and 57 a brick church edifice was erected by the Society in Upper Albany, which was finished and dedicated in 1858. Rev. A. H. Lackey became pastor in 1859, and on the 3d of June, 1860, the church blown down by the tornado. Mr. Lackey went east shortly afterwards and collected about $1,600 with which a frame church structure was built, upon the foundation of the brick one, and was dedicated in 1861. Mr. Lackey remained until 1862. In 1863 Rev. Jacob Coon officiated as supply, remaining until 1870, when Rev. J. Giffin took charge, the latter being succeeded in 1873 by Rev. Josiah Leonard. In 1875 Rev. N. D. Graves was employed, who still remains with the church in connection with the one at Garden Plain. [Source: Bent & Wilson History of Whiteside County 1877]
Methodist Episcopal Church, Albany IL
Methodist Episcopal Church was first made a regular place by the Rock River M. B. Conference in 1840. It then formed a part of Savanna Circuit. Previous to that time Revs. Phillip K. Hanna, Wm. Hobert and John Kilpatrick, had preached occasionally at private houses. In 1840 Rev. Philo Judson was pastor, but there is no record of the names of the members of the church. In 1841 Rev. Win. W. Buck, assisted by Rev.G.L.S. Stuff, were the pastors. In 1842 Albany became a part of Union Circuit, with Rev. C. Campbell as pastor, who also remained during 1843. A. M. Early became pastor in 1844. The next year a small frame building was erected for church and school purposes. Rev Isaac Searles, pastor. Then followed Revs. James McKean, Charles Babcock, Wm. Haney, Mathew Hanna and Benj. Appelbee, until 1853 when the Circuit was again divided, and Albany, Erie and Newton made a Circuit called Albany Circuit, Rev. Quimby, pastor. The membership was then recorded as 172. In 1854 first parsonage was built in Albany, Rev. A. P. McCool, pastor. He remained during the next year. 1856, Rev. A. D. Field, pastor. In 1857 the church bought the school interest in the building and enlarged it, Rev A.M. Early, pastor. In 1858, Rev. Z. S. Kellogg, pastor. During the conference year ending 1860 the tornado occurred in which the church and parsonage were both destroyed. The Rev. Z. S. Kellogg lost his furniture, but none of his family were seriously injured, and no member of the church reported hurt. Rev. Mathew Hanna was pastor during the conference year following. In 1861 the present brick church edifice was erected by subscription obtained principally from M. E. Churches at the East. It was dedicated the same year, Rev. Frost, pastor. Mr. Frost remained until 1864. From that time until 1868, Revs. J. W. Jacobs and C. Combs were pastors. In the latter year Rev. Barton H. Cartwright became pastor, and loaned the church $600 to build a parsonage, doing a large share of the work himself. From 1869 to 1876 Revs. W. S. Young, Z. D. Paddock, A. C. Frick, M. C. Smith, and C. E. Smith have been pastors, the latter being still in charge. The number of members at present is 170. [Source: Bent & Wilson History of Whiteside County 1877]
The Baptist Church, Lyndon IL
The Baptist Church and Society was organized on the 9th of September, 1837, by the adoption of a constitution and the articles of faith and practice. The organization was called the Baptist Church of Lyndon. The church continued in successful working order until recently, when the meetings were discontinued on account of the death and removal of all the members. The meetings of this church, like those of the Congregational and Methodist churches, were held in private houses until the building of the Town Hall, and afterwards at that place. The society did not erect a church building. The last regular meeting was held at the Town Hall on the 13th of October, 1875. The society, however, keeps up its organization, and has an occasional ministerial supply. [Source: Bent & Wilson History of Whiteside County 1877]
The Congregational Church and Society of Lyndon was organized 27th of June, 1836, and was the first religious society organized in Whiteside county. The initiatory steps looking toward the organization of this society were taken by Adam H. Hamilton , William D. Dudley and Chauncey G. Woodruff and their families, the earliest settlers of Lyndon, and fresh from the great revivals which occurred in New York and other Eastern States during the winters of 1830 to 1835.
The meeting was held at the house of William D. Dudley, and presided over by Rev. Elisha Hazard, the agent of the American Home Missiionary Society, who had come to the West to organize churches and societies under its patronage. The meeting adopted the Confession of Faith, and the Coveenant and enrolled the following names on the church book; Adam R. Hamilton, Nancy Hamilton, John M. Hamilton, Adam R. Hamilton, Jr., Nancy A. Hamilton, Lovica Hamilton, Mary E. Hamilton, William D. Dudley, Tripbena I. Dudley, Louisa Dudley, Liberty Walker, Chauncey G. Woodruff, Sophia Woodruff, Julia Woodruff, Ephraim A. Hubbard, 0. L. Turner, Joshua T. Atkinson, Emily Atkinson.
In 1838 an addition of eighteen members was made to the church by letter from the East. These embraced the families of William Clark, Anna Dudley, Daniel F. Millikan, George Garlick, Augustin W. Newhall, J.M. Kneelaud and Alexis Hubbard. In 1839 there came to the church the families of Charles S. Deming, Artemas, Cady, P. Daggett. Solomon Hubbard, Brainard Orton, and John Roy. Besides these twenty-two others came by profession of faith. The places of worship alternated at first between the bluff school house, and houses in the village. In the village meetings were held at Dr. Smith's house, the upper story of Mr. Newhall's house, Gould's building which was used for school house, Circuit Court and Church, Atkinson's house Gilbert's store room, Chamber's store room, and the first school building erected in Lyndon.
The church building was erected in 1850 at a cost of about $2,500. Its size is thirty-two feet wide by forty-eight long, and directly faces the south, which position, owing to the peculiar formation of the village, brings it almost broadside to the street. It was a fine church edifice for the West in its day The first pastor of the society was the Rev. Elisha Hazard, who continued from 1836 to 1842. Rev. Nathaniel Smith followed, remaining until 1846, when Rev. Wm. W. Blanchard became pastor and remained until 1850. He was succeeded by Rev. Mr. Ward, who remained only a short time, when Rev. A. Chapman was called to the pastorate and remained five years. Rev. H. Judd came next and continued in charge until the fall of 1862. Rev. W.D. Webb was next called, and continued his labors for five years, and was succeeded by Rev. Simon Gilbert, who labored for a term of two years. Rev. John Gray followed with another two year term. Rev. Charles Machin is the present pastor. Adam R. Hamilton was chosen the first deacon of the church, and so continued until his death. The only associate Deacon Hamilton had in this office during his life, was Daniel F. Millikan, who was chosen in July, 1840. After Deacon Hamilton's death, Martin Conyne was chosen in his place. In February, 1877, Alexis Hubbard was chosen third deacon, making the present deacons of the church, Daniel F. Millikan, Martin Conyne, and Alexis Hubbard. John Roy was appointed the first clerk of the church, and continued in that office for a quarter of a century. He was succeeded by Alexis Hubbard, the present clerk. The present trustees of the church are Draper Richmond, Jerome Sands, and Edward Lancaster. The present membership of the church is eighty-six. [Source: Bent & Wilson History of Whiteside County 1877]
German Evangelical Lutheran Church
The German Lutheran Church forms the German branch of the Lutheran church in Sterling, and was organized in 1874 with only six members. The roll has been steadily increasing until it now reaches over forty. Services are held every Sabbath at the Bethlehem Lutheran Church. Rev. F. Luskey has charge of the church, in connection with one at Round Grove. [Source: Bent & Wilson History of Whiteside County 1877]
German Evangelical Lutheran Church of Lyndon township
The German Evangelical Lutheran church of Lyndon township, four miles south of Morrison, was organized several years ago by Rev. Fr. Lussky. Some of the first members were: C. Strelow, John H. Johnson, Siebelt Arians, Louis Rosenow, Fred Rosenow, John Rosenow, Albert Strelow, Herman Strelow. The church today has a voting membership of 20. Number of families, 34. The church has no Sunday school, but catechetical instruction by the pastor. Number of children present, 25. In October, 1906, the congregation dedicated its new church, 36x50 feet. [History of Whiteside County, Illinois from Its Earliest Settlement ..., Volume 1; By William W. Davis; 1908]
[NOTE: German Evangelical Lutheran Church of Lyndon: According to Whiteside County Recorders Record Book 120 pages 407 & 408 the corporate name of the German Evangelical Lutheran Church of Lyndon was "The First German Evangelical Lutheran Congregation UAC of Lyndon Township. The Certificate of Organization is signed by Julius Brandt, as secretary, dated 23 Apr 1889 showing that the members formed the church on 7 Apr 1889. Contributed by Larry A. Calvo]
Methodist Episcopal Church
The Methodist Episcopal Church and Society of Lyndon was organized by Revs. W. Buck and G. L. S. Stuff in 1841, the first members being Chauncey G. Woodruff, Leonora Hazard. Soon afterward the following persons united with the church: Dr. Augustin Smith, Lucy Smith, Lucy Ann Ware. J. D. Odell, Samantha Reynolds and Rarry R. Smith. Lyndon was at first a remote part of the Savanna circuit, and then became attached to the Union Grove circuit. Preaching was first held at the Chambers' store building, and afterwards at the residence of Mr. Atkinson, until the Town Hall was built, when services were conducted in that building. One of the most suecessful revivals experienced by the church took place in the winter of 1859-60, when about one hundred persons were converted and united with the church. It then formed a part of the Union Grove circuit, and was under the pastoral charge of Rev. A. Cross. In 1874 a church edifice was erected at a cost of $2.500. It is sixty feet in length and forty feet in width, and is a very neat and commodious structure. The church has now one hundred and three members in full communion, and fifty on probation. Rev. J. Wardle is the present pastor. The Sundav-school connected with the church has a membership of one hundred and seventy Mr. P.M. Jewell is the Superintendent, and is assisted by twelve teachers. [Source: Bent & Wilson History of Whiteside County 1877] Photo contributed by LeRoy Sundin
Bethlehem Lutheran church
Bethlehem Lutheran church and society was organized in 1870 the Lutherans of Swedish birth or extraction, with a membership originally of only eleven. Now there are fifty. Rev. Mr. Boomer is the pastor, and has two charges in addition to the one in Sterling. The church edifice is small, but very neatly fitted up. The Sunday School has an attendance of twenty-five scholars, with John Lawson as Superintendent, assisted by four teachers [Source: Bent & Wilson History of Whiteside County 1877]
German Lutheran Church
The German Lutheran Church forms the German branch of the Lutheran church in Sterling, and was organized in 1874 with only six members. The roll has been steadily increasing until it now reaches over forty. Services are held every Sabbath at the Bethlehem Lutheran Church. Rev. F. Luskey has charge of the church, in connection with one at Round Grove. [Source: Bent & Wilson History of Whiteside County 1877; This photo from the Sterling Standard 1896-97]
St. John's Lutheran church
St. John's Lutheran church is English, and was organized in 1854, with twenty members, but has increased to a membership at present of over one hundred and fifty. The church edifice is a neatly constructed and arranged building, as is also the parsonage belonging to the Society. Rev. E. Brown is the present pastor. The Sunday School attached to the church numbers two hundred and fifty scholars, under the charge of R. J. Lipe as Superintendent, assisted by eighteen teachers. [Source: Bent & Wilson History of Whiteside County 1877]
Broadway Methodist of Sterling
This is the oldest church organization in Sterling having been formed as early as 1838, by Rev. Barton H. Cartwright, in the cabin of Hezekiah Brink. The membership then consisted of only Mr. and Mrs. Luther Bush, Mr. and Mrs. Hezekiah Brink, Mrs. Geer, and Mrs. Pratt. With this nucleus it advanced with the growth of the population, until it became an extensive and influential church. Mr. Cartwright was one of those brave, untiring, zealous, Methodist missionary preachers of the West to whose presence and exertions many a pioneer settlement was indebted for the privileges of the gospel, and the formation of church societies which not only tended to unite the few faithful christians into religious organizations in accordance with their early teachings, but brought them together as friends and neighbors. To such men all honor is due, and their services should be gratefully remembered. Mr. Cartwright is yet a circuit preacher and is located at Hampshire, in the Dixon District of the Rock River Conference, having been a faithful minister for nearly half a century. Men like Barton H. Cartwright die with their harness on. The first quartery meeting of the new Society was held by Rev. Thomas Hitt, in 1839. The church edifice was built in 1855, when Rev. S. F. Penning was pastor. Previous to that time services were held in the old stone school house, and the Court House. Luther Bush, Samuel Hoover, Hezekiah Brink, J. E. Cobby, and Smith Conklin were the trustees. Rev. S. F. Denning was the first pastor sent to Sterling. Previous to 1855 the church belonged to Buffalo Grove Circuit, and we have been unable to ascertain the names of ministers who supplied it while it was attached to that circuit. The successors of Mr. Denning have been Revs. Z. D. Paddock, S. G. Havermale, C. C. Best, Benjamen Close, J. Hartwell, A. H. Schoonmaker, S. F. Denning, a second time, M. H. Plumb, J. Borbidge, Jas. Bush, Thos. Chipperfield, and J. B. McGuffin, the present pastor. The following are the present Trustees Elias Burkholder, Geo. Newton, J. R. Deyo, Wm. Hess, R. L. Mangan, Charles Roberts, Henry Bush, J. D. Lamb, and M. M. Royer. The Sunday School belonging to the church numbers one hundred scholars, with J. D. Lamb as Superintendent. The Fourth Street M. E. Church was formed from it in 1867. The present membership is now one hundred and thirty-one. [Source: Bent & Wilson History of Whiteside County 1877]
Christian Church of Sterling
The Christian church was organized in 1875, with twenty members, and holds services at Farwell Hall. Elder J. H. Wright is the pastor. The membership is now about one hundred. A flourishing Sunday School of over fifty scholars is attached to the church, under the superintendence of W. F. Eastman, one of the editors and proprietors of the Sterling Gazette, who is assisted by six teachers. The society contemplates erecting a church edifice very soon. [Source: Bent & Wilson History of Whiteside County, 1877]
Disciples of Christ - Sterling
The first meeting, conducted by Knowles Shaw, was held June 18, 1875 in a tent in Central Park. The members living in Sterling and Rock Falls were Mr. and Mrs. E. Brookfield, Mr. and Mrs. Joseph Detweiler, Mr. and Mrs. J. D. Nance, George Nance, W. F. Eastman, and Florence Burgess. The church was organized June 27, 1875, and the first trustees were W. F. Eastman, R. B. Colcord, and E. Brookfield. The first elders, George Nance, R. B. Coleord, J. S. Detweiler. The first deacons, E. Brookfield, J. D. Nance, W. H. Shepperd, David Grubb. The superintendent of the Sunday school was W. F. Eastman. The pastor was J. N. Smith. The first meeting after that in the park was held in Wallace Hall, the next Sunday in Boynton Hall, and in Aug. 15, 1875, in Colcord Hall. The first of the little band to pass away was Ephraim Brookfield, Jan. 10, 1876. Rev. J. H. Wright became pastor in October, 1876, and remained three years. The first church was dedicated Feb. 1, 1880. It stands on Locust street, and is now, after being remodeled, used as the armory. T. W. Grafton was the next pastor. Desiring a change of situation and better facilities for their work, the society in 1888 purchased the brick building formerly occupied by St. Patrick’s congregation, on Sixth street and Second avenue. Smaller rooms were formed from the main auditorium, and various changes made to adapt it to the needs of the church. Besides the pastors mentioned have been F. L. Moffet, Silas Jones, W. E. Spicer. Silas Jones is now professor in Eureka College. Two promising young members were nurtured in the society, Stephen Zendt and Louis O. Lehman. A missionary in India Miss Mary Kingsbury. The present pastor is Ira L. Parvin. The superintendent of the Sunday School is W.J. Moore, the marble mason. The usual societies. There are 200 members in the church and 110 pupils in the Sunday School. [History of Whiteside County - Davis, 1908]
First Baptist of Sterling
The First Baptist Church of Sterling was organized June 1, 1856, with eleven members. Services were first held in the school room in the First Presbyterian church, for two months, Rev. H. H. Hoff, a missionary, being the supply during that time. Rev. J. T. Mason became the first regular pastor, taking charge November 1, 1856, and continuing since that time. The Society held services after November 1, 1856, in Crandall’s Hall, and after that in Boynton’s Hall, until a church edifice was built. The membership grew rapidly, and in 1865 the building was enlarged. It was soon, however, apparent that it was too small even with the enlargement, and in 1873 the present edifice was erected at a cost of twenty thousand dollars. This building is now the largest church building in Sterling, being eighty-two feet long, and forty-five feet wide. The Sunday School attached to the church numbers over two hundred scholars, with A. S. Todd, Superintendent, assisted by twenty teachers. The church roll shows two hundred and eighty-two members. Mr. Mason has been pastor of the church for twenty-one years, and is not only highly regarded as a faithful and successful minister, but as one of Sterling’s oldest and most valued citizens. [Source: Bent & Wilson History of Whiteside County 1877]
Grace Episcopal Church
The Parish of Grace church, Episcopal, was organized in 1 May 1864, the Rev. John Foster being the officiating minister at the time. The Parish or Society is a district organization from the church. The following persons were present and voted at the organization of the Parish: D. F. Batcheller. B. C. Coblentz, Henry Moore, Charles Smith, Nelson Maxson, Sidney T. Osmer, Lorenzo Hapgood, W. C. Henderson, John G. Price, B. Fluelling, G.L. Taintor, G. B. Fitch. The first Rector was Rev. O. B. Thayer. The first Wardens were William Muir and D. F. Batcheller, and the Vestrymen, B. C. Coblentz, Henry Moore, Charles Smith, Nelson Maxson, Sidney T. Osmer, Lorenzo Hapgood, W. C. Henderson, and John G. Price. Lorenzo Hapgood was chosen Secretary and Henry Moore, Treasurer. Messrs. Muir and Batcheller were succeeded by Wardens by Gabriel Davis and Lorenzo Hapgood. The present officers of the Parish are: Senior Warden, Lorenzo Hapgood; Junior Warden, Charles Smith, Vestrymen, W. A. Sanborn, W. H. Merrill, M. S. Henry, J. A. Ingersoll, D.F. Batcheller. The first Rector, Rev. O. B. Thayer, was succeeded by Rev. J. Gierlow, and since the resignation of the latter the following have been successively Rectors: Rev. J. E. Goodhue, Rev. W. F. Lloyd, Rev. H. Root. The present Rector, Rev. J. E. Goodhue, is now on his second term of service. The church edifice was erected in 1864-65 at an original cost of fourteen thousand dollars, but has never been fully completed, and at this date, November, 1877, has not been consecrated. At the organization of the Parish there were only seven communicants; now the number is seventy-five, representing about fifty families. The Sunday School has seventy-six scholars, with Sidney T. Osmer at a Superintendent, assisted by six teachers. The church building is situated on the southeast corner of Mulberry and Fourth Streets. [Bent & Wilson History of Whiteside County 1877]
Reformed Mennonite Church of Sterling
Photo by Larry Reynolds
The Reformed Mennonite Society was organized in 1868, with a membership of sixty-five, and their church edifice built the same year. The members are settled as near to their meeting house as suitable locations can be procured, and are governed by purely democratic principles. All are on an equality socially, the differences of wealth and intellectual culture being entirely ignored. Their religious services are held in the forenoon, the afternoon being spent in social intercourse of a semi-religious character. If any brother or sister is found to be sick, or in want, or has been unfortunate, the situation is fully reviewed, and assistance promptly rendered. The present preachers of this church are: John Weaver and John Weckessee, although others are frequently selected from the male members. All preach without fee or reward, or the hope or promise of the same. One of their peculiar tenets consists in baptizing none but adults, and that by sprinkling. They do not have any Sunday Schools, or prayer or camp meetings, nor protracted or revival meetings, and no instruments are used with their church music. Neither do they vote at elections, or take any part in politics, but submit quietly to the laws and rules imposed upon them. They do no military duty, are opposed to war, and never go to law. Differences between the members are settled by the church, and business matters with outsiders are arranged amicably, or abandoned. At sacramental seasons they wash each other’s feet. The theater, circus, menagerie, or exposition, is never patronized. The present deacons of this church are: John Hoover, Abram Shultz, and Ephraim Hendricks. [Source: Bent & Wilson History of Whiteside County 1877]
Sacred Heart German Catholic Church
Sacred Heart Church (German Catholic) was organized in 1870, and is situated in the northern part of the city. The buildings belonging to the church consist of the church edifice, parsonage, and school. The membership of the church now numbers something over fifty. Sunday School has about fifty scholars, and is under the charge of the Rev Father Allgayer, assisted by the sisters. The day school is also under the charge of the pastor, with a number of the sisters as teachers. Father Allgayer has had charge of the church and parish about a year. [Source: Bent & Wilson History of Whiteside County 1877]
St. Patrick's Church
[became St. Mary's]
St. Patrick's Church was organized in 1854, with one hundred and fifty members. Since then the membership has increased to over five hundred, representing a large number of families. The church edifice and parsonage cost seven thousand dollars. In addition to these, there is a school building situated close to the church, at which a finished education can be obtained. The present pastor is Rev. Father Byrne. Attached to the church is a Sunday School numbering over two hundred with Father Byrne as Superintendent, assisted by a number of sisters. [Source: Bent & Wilson History of Whiteside County 1877]
BACK -- HOME
© Copyright Genealogy Trails