The Ross Family
The ROSS FAMILY HISTORY
The Ross Family Farm is located between the railroad tracks and Hillside Road just North West of Union Grove. It was sold out of the family shortly after 1949.
William John Ross, son of John & Jennie (Gray) Ross, was born 13 December 1835 in Mullaghboy, County Antrim, Island Magee, Ireland, he died 29 Dec 1912 in Morrison, Illinois, his burial taking place in the Presbyterian Cemetery, in Ustick Township, Whiteside County, Illinois. He emigrated to the United States in 1862, the oldest of nine children. The younger siblings of William were: Andrew, Robert, Margaret, Matthew, Jane, Thomas, Alexander, and Matilda. He also had a half sister named Ellen.
William was first married to Agnes Wright on 1 July 1866 in Morrison, Whiteside County IL. She was born in 1835 Ireland the daughter of James & Mary Wright, and died in March 1870 in Whiteside County. She is said to be buried in the Garden Plain Cemetery but a record for her there has not been found. She may or may not be in the Spring Valley Presbyterian Cemetery.
His second marriage was to Lavina Wire on 4 July 1872 in Morrison IL. Lavina was born 1834 Canada, and died 6 August 1889 Spring Valley, Ustick Twp., Whiteside County IL and is also buried in the Presbyterian Cemetery.
After the death of Lavina William married for the third time to Mary Ann (Livings) Digby, widow of Timothy Digby and the daughter of Timothy & Abigail (Warner) Livings on 1 Feb 1890 in Whiteside County. Mary Ann was born 25 March 1855 in Southport Twp., Chemung County NY, she died 2 Jan 1937 in Rock Falls, Whiteside Co IL. Mary Ann was buried in the Round Grove Cemetery , however there is a marker for her in the Spring Valley Presbyterian Cemtery in the Ross family plot. The Round Grove Cemetery records indicate Mary Digby Ross Mar. 25, 1853 - Jan. 2, 1937 on "Mead" lot so I think we can be fairly certain that its just a "marker" in the Spring Valley Cemetery.
William and Agnes (Wright) Ross were the parents of:
1. Mary Ross born 23 September 1867 in Mt. Pleasant Twp., Whiteside Co IL. Mary Ross married William Maxwell Cassell 12 October 1892 in Spring Valley, Ustick Twp, Whitside Co IL. William was born 29 Dec 1861 in Hume Twp., Whiteside IL, died 15 July 1926 in Morrison and is buried in the Round Grove Cemetery. William was a farmer in the early years and later moved to Morrison where he was in the Hardware business. They were the parents of two daughters, Isabelle Cecelia Cassell b 23 January 1894 and Olive Agnes Cassell born 24 October 1897 in Nebraska, married Ernest Cassens 10 December 1919 in Whiteside Co. Mary Ross at one time, lived at 514 West Main St. Morrison IL.
William and Lavina (Wire) Ross were the parents of:
2. William John Ross b: 16 Apr 1873 in Union Grove Township, Whiteside County, Illinois
3. Robert Lee Ross b 13 Mar 1875 in Union Grove Township, Whiteside County, Illinois. Robert married Eliza May Matthews 28 January 1897 in Round Grove, Whiteside County IL. Eliza May was born 27 Feb 1870 in Hopkins Twp. Whiteside County IL Their children were Harley Matthew Ross born 1 Jan 1900 and Maude Irene Ross born in 1909. The had two other little girls who died young. Nellie Rachel born and died in 1898 and the other born in 1906 or 1907.
Harley Matthew Ross married Ethel Margaret Conley 26 June 1923 in Belvedere, Boone County Illinois.
Ethel was born 13 February 1896 in Belvidere. They were the parents of two children - Mary Frances Ross and James Robert Ross.
4. Andrew A. Ross b: 5 Jan 1878 in Union Grove Township, Whiteside County, Illinois. Andrew married Josephine Feldt 2 June 1919 in Morrison IL, his occupation was a mail carrier in Morrison.
William and Mary Ann (Livings) Digby were the parents of :
5. Frank Lee Ross born 3 July 1894 in Ustick Twp. He was married to Marie Sorenson 11 November 1922 in Colorado. They became the parents of two children, Mary Lorene and Lee Frank Ross.
Many thanks to Mark Ross for the photos (its his grandfather on the motorbike) And also thanks to Mark for contributing the Memoirs of Maude
Thanks also to Tom MacLennan and Rodney A Livings for helping to put the family history together.
BACK -- HOME
© Copyright Genealogy Trails