Main street 1910
Photo contributed by Lyndon Historical Society
History Of Lyndon Township
The territory now comprising the township of Lyndon originally formed a part of Crow Creek Precinct, then became connected with Little Rock Precinct, and afterwards, together with a portion of the present township of Fenton, formed a Precinct called Lyndon, and so remained until the boundaries of the township were defined, and name given, by the Commissioners appointed by the County Commissioners Court, in 1852. The township is composed of all that part of Congressional township 20 north, range 5 east, as lies north of Rock river, and also sections 5 and 6, and fractional parts of sections 4, 7, 8, 9 and 16 of township 20 north, range 6 east, as lies north of Rock river. It contains 16,799 acres, the land being rolling prairie back of the river, and mostly bottom land, along the river. Out of the 16,799 acres of land in Lyndon, only 409 acres remain unimproved, showing the fine location, and fertility of the soil, of the township. The township is watered by Rock river which flows on a part of its eastern and the whole of its southern border, and by a small stream rising on section 2, and flowing in a direction a little west of south until it empties into Rock river on section 15. The wells of the township are abundant, and the water mainly of excellent quality. There are also several good springs. A fine grove, known as Hamilton's Grove, is situated on sections 19 and 20 on the west side of the township, and Fitch's Grove on section 30 in the southwest part. There is a belt of timber also along Rock river. Besides this timber land, a large number of shade trees have been planted throughout the township, most of which are now of large size.
Lyndon was one of the earliest settled towns in the county, parties beginning to come in as early as 1835. Among those who came that year were Chauncy G. Woodruff and family, Adam R. Hamilton and family, William D. Dudley and family, Liberty Walker, and Ephraim H. Hubbard. The Woodruff, Hamilton, and Dudley families came together from New York State, travelling about a thousand miles with teams, and were thirty days on the road. After arriving at Lyndon they were compelled to camp out until their cabins were built, sleeping on the ground, and in addition to other discomforts and annoyances had the prairie rattlesnakes, called by the Indians Massasaugas, for neighbors. These reptiles, however, always gave notice of an attack, by rattling, and thus could be avoided or killed; still their companionship was not at all agreeable. Previous to their departure from New York, Mr. Dudley had taken the precaution to forward a cask of pork, which in addition to the flour and corn meal obtained in Chicago, constituted their commissary stores during the summer and part of the fall at their prairie homes. The party arrived at Lyndon, August 5, 1835.
Mr. Woodruff made his claim just west of the Amos Cady place, where he put up a cabin, covered it with hay, and remained in it until the following year. The improvised roof afforded but little protection when it rained, the water running through and wetting every article in the cabin. When the sun came out the clothing and bedding had to be removed to the open air and dried.
He sold out to Amos Cady, in 1836, and settled on the claim where he afterwards resided. Upon this land he built a frame house, siding it with oak lumber costing $2.50 per hundred feet. The ground was used for a floor for the first six months. In 1838 he broke twenty-three acres of ground, using oxen and raised a good crop of grain. Mr. Dudley built a log cabin 12 by 12 feet in size, and covered it with bark, where he kept a boarder besides his family of four persons. The cabin was also used occasionally as a church, and for the entertainment of travelers when they came through that vicinity. His next cabin was 16 by 24 feet in size, the ground and chamber floors being made of Puncheons hewn out with a broad ax. This cabin was roomy and comfortable. Liberty Walker was a bachelor, and made a large claim on the river below Lyndon, wnere he raised a crop of sod grain in 1836. He died April 29, 1837, and was buried on a mound near the present farm of Mr. P. A. Brooks. Adam R. Hamilton died August 28, 1865. He was well known throughout the county during his lifetime, and his death was universally mourned. Ephraim H. Hubbard remained only a short time, when he moved away, and died in March, 1842.
Among those who came in 1836 were William Farrington, father of Addison Farrington the present Circuit Clerk of Whiteside county, P. L. Jeffers, Rev. Elisha Hazard, Erastus Fitch, Augustus Rice, Dr. Augustin Smith, W. W. Gilbert, Geo. Dennis in 1837, Draper B. Reynolds, Capt. Harry Smith, D. F. Millikan, A. I. Maxwell, David Hazard, Benj. Coburn, Sr., and family, Wesley Anderson, Will D. Dudley, George Higley, P. Daggett, Brainard Orton, Amos Cady, John C. Pratt, Robert G. Clendenin, Thomas C. Gould and Pardon A. Brooks; in 1838, James M. Goodhue, Timothy Dudley, Marcus Sperry, A. W. Newhall, Lyman Reynolds, Smith Chambers, and John M. Scott in 1839, Charles R. Deming, John Roy, Jared D. Conyne, Ferdinand B. Hubbard, Solomon Hubbard, Alexis Hubbard.
David Hazard was originally a New Yorker, but had resided in Pennsylvania some years before he came West. Like some of the other Lyndon people he brought his family and goods all the way, a distance of nine hundred miles, by team, his journey taking twenty-eight days. On the other hand Draper B. Reynolds preferred the water route, and came from New York State by the way of the Alleghany, Ohio, and Mississippi rivers, and landed at Fulton, and, from thence to Lyndon by team. When D. F. Millikan first came he domiciled in a cabin near where W. O. Dudley now resides. It was covered with bark, and when it rained the water came through the roof as freely as it did through Mr. Woodruff's hay roof. One night during a severe rain storm, Mrs. Millikan sought to protect her husband and children from getting wet in their beds, by placing an umbrella over the bed of the latter, on the floor, and a tin basin on Mr. Millikan's breast, so as to catch the water as it came through the barkroof to where he lay. He soon sank into a sleep, as did all the family, and when the basin was well filled unconsciously turned over, throwing the water upun Mrs. Millikan. The scene that followed can be better imagined than described. In the winter of 1839-40, Mr. Millikan went to Knox's mill, in Elkhorn Grove, with a horse and pung, taking a grist to be ground. The mill, like that of the gods, ground very slow, and he was compelled to stay all night before he could get his grist. During the night, one of those terrible snow storms, so famIlIar to all the old settlers of this country, set in, the wind coming from the northwest, almost like a tornado. In the morning there being no appearance of its abating he determined to start for home taking the wind as a guide, as the air was so filled with snow that seeing was out of the question. In the afternqon he reached Hickory Grove, where he found an unoccupied cabin, and being nearly frozen, attempted to light a fire, but failed. This necessitated a renewal of the journey, and striking out again in the storm he reached home a little after dark, angry, and chilled through with the cold. Old settlers can readily comprehend the situation. He has yet in his possession an old fashioned cord bedstead, which he brought from Ohio. The side rails were used on the trip West as levers to pry the wagon out of the mud, when it got sloughed. Lyman Reynolds was one of the eccentric men of that day, and was known, at his own suggestion, by the soubriquet of the Duke of Bulgerorum. He had his cabin where Hiram Austin now lives, and named it Bulgerorum ranch. He died about twenty-five years ago, near Geneseo, Illinois, was found dead in his bed. Samuel and George Higley were the tall men of the Lyndon settlement, the former being six feet and six inches in his stocking feet, and the latter six feet and four inches. John C. Pratt first visited Whiteside county in 1835, traveling most of the way on foot. Returning to New York, he engaged the services of James Knox, who afterwards settled where Morrison now stands, Lyman Bennett, at present a resident of Albany, and William Farrington, to open up a large farm on the bend of the river, opposite Prophetstown, called the Oxbow Bend, and also one on section 36, in Fenton township, opposite Portland, furnishing them with oxen, yokes, chains, etc., agreeing to pay them three dollars per acre for breaking prairie, and one dollar per hundred for splitting rails and putying them into a fence.
In the winter of 1835-'36 about two thousand Indians were encamped in the timber between Prophetstown and Lyndon, and many of them remained hrough the whole of the year 1836. In the fall of that year, while Mr. W oodruff was engaged in repairing a boat on Rock river, a large party of these Indians came to the bank near where he was at work. They had killed a fine buck, and as soon as they had halted, built a fire, cut the deer in two in the middle, and without removing the skin put the part with the head on into a kettle and cooked it without salt or other seasoning. After it was cooked to their notion the part was taken out and placed ready for those who were to partake of the beast, a chop stick being the ticket to dinner. During the time this was being done, a party of young Indians in a tent near by, kept up a continual chant, and a little at one side, a squaw sat on the river bank and wailed incessantly. Mr. Woodruff afterwards ascertained that this chanting and wailing was caused by the death of the squaw's child. The young Indians and the squaw were not invited to the feast. The howling of the choir in the tent, and the wailing of the bereaved mother, were of the most approved style of Indian funereal ceremonies. When the work on the boat was completed an effort was made to secure the services of the Indians in assisting to turn the boat over, and launching it, and they could only be induced to do so upon the promise of Asa Crook, who was then present, to treat them well with whiskey for the service. Being naturally intemperate they went to work, and the boat was soon in the stream. On second thought Mr. Crook wisely concluded it would not be safe to let the savages have the firewater, as they never failed to get intoxicated, and refused to redeem his promise. This so maddened the Indians that they went to the neiighboring corn field, loaded their canoes with corn and pumpkins, and with the booty went down the river. In 1839 a company consisting of Messrs. Ray, Harmon, Spencer, and Dix, contracted to extend the mill race at Lyndon from a point on the river just below the town, under the bluffs, and have it enter the river below Portland, In the north, near Squaw Point or Portland ferry. The intention was to put up mills and manufacturing establishments at the outlet. The race had been excavated in 1838, and a saw mill upon a large and substantial plan erected, at which about two hundred feet of hard wood lumber had been sawed; but the race was not deep enough to be of any practical use, and hence the project to increase its size and length. Under the contract it was made ten feet wide at the bottom, and so far finished as to let the water through, but the power Was not sufficient to make it a success. Hard times had come; money was scarce and there was no market but the home demand. All the money had to be kept to enter the lands when they came into market. Contracts for commodities were therefore made to be liquidated in corn, wheat, pork, potatoes, turnips cows, horses, in fact anything that could be bartered. The contractors, unde: such a state of things, were unable to fully complete their work, and lost heavily, Mr. Rayalone losing six thousand dollars, a very large sum of money in those days. This embarassed him for a time, but he eventually recovered from it. Mr. Harmon never really got over his loss; he went farther West some twenty years ago, and when last heard from was in the mining regions of the Rocky Mountains. Spencer and Dix never lived permanently in the West.
Under the act of the General Assembly of the State, passed in 1839 Messrs. Chauncy G. Woodruff and Adam R. Hamilton were appointed Commissioners to superintend. an election for a place to be the county seat of Whiteside county. The first election under this act was held in May, 1839, at which votes were cast for Lyndon, Sterling, Prophetstown, Albany, Fulton, and Union Grove, and resulted in no choice being made. The act provided that an election should be held every four weeks until a majority of votes was given for one place, and finally at the September election the Commissioners decided that Lyndon had received a majority of all the votes polled, and it was duly declared the country seat. A full 'history of county seat mattersis given in chapter IV, of this volume, pages 71-76. The first meeting of the County Commissioners' Court was held at the house of Wm. D. Dudley, in Lyndon, in 1839, the Commissioners being John B. Dodge, Nathaniel G. Reynolds, and Elijah Worthington. Mr. Worthington died in the winter of 1839-'40; Mr. Dodge was killed by a desperado at Hazel Green, a few miles northeast of Galena, and Mr. Reynolds died in the winter of 1865-'66. The first Circuit Court was held in Lyndon in April, 1840, in an unfinished house then owned by' T. C. Gould. Hon. Daniel Stone was Circuit Judge, Robert L. Wilson, Clerk of the Court, James C. Woodburn, Sheriff, and J. W. McLemore, Deputy Sheriff. The following incident occurred at the time of holding the first Circuit Court at Lyndon. Two of the members of the bar having business before the Court were from Dixon, and immediately upon their itrrival in town called at the store of Smith Chambers, and wanted some whiskey, as that article was then included and generally kept under the head of groceries, but were informed by him that whiskey formed no part of his invoice of groceries, and that none could be found in Lyndon. Seized with disappointmerit and despair they ejaculated, "No whiskey? What a hell of a place this is to hold Court in!" At that early time an unlimited capacity for stimulants and a small amount of legal knowledge constituted the necessary qualifications of many attorneys.
The first and only resident lawyer in Lyndon, at the holding of the first Circuit Court at that place, was James M. Goodhue. He was a fine scholar and well read attorney, although nervous and excitable as a man. The latter qualities sometimes precipitated him into difficulties about unimportant matters and made himself trouble which he afterwards avoided. On one occasion while the Circuit Court was in session, he got into one of these little difficulties in the street with an old settler greatly his senior, and in the melee received a blow. This so incensed him that he hurriedly went into open court and demanded that the assailant be brought in and punished for committing an assault and battery upon an attorney of record and ex-official officer of the Court, but was blandly informed by Judge Stone that as he had ventured beyond the jurisdiction of the Court it could give him no redress, and that his remedy was an action for asault and battery before a Justice of the Peace. Mr. Goodhue afterwards went north and settled in Minnesota, where he held important public positions. Goodhue county, in that State, was named after him. He died a number of years ago.
The first child born in Lyndon was to Dr. Augustin and Mary A. Smith, whose life was of short duration. This was in 1836. The second child was Elisha son of David and Leonora Hazard, born December 8, 1837.
The first parties to enter into wedlock were Theron Crook and Miss Nancy A. Hamilton, daughter of Adam R. Hamilton, the ceremony being performed on the 3d of March, 1836. This was one of the first marriages in Whiteside connty. Mr. Crook is a resident of Oregon. Mrs. Crook has been dead for many years.
The first death was that of Liberty Walker, which occurred on the 29th of April, 1837. The first female who died in the township was Mrs. Mary A. Smith, wife of Dr. Augustm Smith, her death occurrmg July 16, 1837. Mrs. Lydia A., wife of B. Coburn, whose death occurred July 31, 1837, was the first person buried in the Lyndon cemetery.
The early settlers of Lyndon had been well educated at their eastern homes, and brought a strong love of knowledge with them when they came West. The privileges they had received they determined should be extended to their children, so far as the circumstances of their new situation would admit. Teachers were at hand, but school houses had to be built, and school books procured, and to do either was no easy task. It was as much as they were able to do to erect rude cabins to shelter them from the night air and the storms, and whatever money they made from their crops was needed for the purchase of their claims when they were placed into market by the Government, and for actual necessaries for the household. Yet their determination was strong to conquer all impediments in the way of furnishing at least a rudimental education for their children. When a school house could not be built, the cabin of the settler was thrown open to the teaeher and the scholar, and the few text books made to do double and sometimes quadruple duty. The first teacher in what is now the township of Lyndon was Miss Lovica B. Hamilton, now Mrs. J. W. Olds, and the school taught in the back room of Deacon Hamilton's house, in the summer of 1836. The next year a log school house was built near Mr. Hamilton's, and Alexis Hubbard employed as the first teacher. The first male teacher in the town, however, was Mr. Knowlton, who taught in the winter of 1836-'37 in the same room in Mr. Hamilton's house that Miss Hamilton had used the summer previous. Now there are eight districts In the township, and each has a good school building.
Coeval with the establishment of schools with such people as the early settlers of Lyndon is the establishment of religious services. With them religion and education go hand in hand. A church edifice is no sooner erected than a schoolhouse stands by its side. But as it is in most cases impossible to erect these structures at once in a new settlement, other buildings must be used, and in Lyndon the cabin door was thrown as freely open to the man of God as it was to the man of letters. The 3d of March, 1836, saw the first religious meeting held at Lyndon, the place of gathering being the 12 by 12 cabin of Wm. D. Dudley. The cabin was covered with bark, but beneath that lowly roof the orisons of praise were as sincerely made and were as acceptable to Him to whom they were addressed as though they had been sent up from an edifice equal in grandeur and magnificence to a Trinity, a St. Paul's, or a St. Peter's. On that occasion Deacon A. R. Hamilton officiated by reading a sermon, and leading the other services. The first sermon preached in the town was by Rev. Elish Hazard, in the same cabin, in June, 1836. The first church society was organized by the Congregationalists in 1836, and others afterwards followed.
The Rockford, Rock Island & St. Louis Railroad, now owned by the Chicago, Burlington & Quincy Company, enters the township on section 6 of Congressional township 20 north, range 6 east, and runs in a southwesterly direction through sections 1, 12, 11, 10, 15, 16, 21, 20, 19 and 30 of Congressional township 20 north, range 5 east, and passes out at the northwest corner of the latter section. The Mendota and Prophets town branch of the Ohicago Burlington & Quincy Railroad strikes the township at Rock river, in the southeast part of section 30, and running northwesterly passes out on the southwest corner of section 19. The two roads intersect each other on the line between sections 19 and 30.
The following is a list of the Supervisors, Town Clerks, Assessors and Collectors of the township of Lyndon from 1852 to 1877
Supervisors :-1852-'55, Robert G. Clendenin; 1856-'62, Justus Rew; 1863, Lucius E. Rice; 1864, John Whallon; 1865-'69, Henry Dudley; 1870-'72: John Whallon; 1873, Justus Rew; 1874-'77, John Whallon.
Town Clerks :-1852-'53, W. Andrews; 1854, C. A. Sperry; 1855, W. Andrews; 1856, A. A. Higley; 1857-'64, Henry Dudley; 1865, Samuel G. Scott; 1866, Homer Gillette; 1867, Charles C. Sweeney; 1868, Edward Ward; 1869, W. Andrews; 1870-'72, Moses Lathe; 1873-'76, E. B. Hazard; 1877, Ethan Allen.
Assessors :-1852, Justus Rew; 1853-'55, John Lathe; 1856, H. B. Freeman; 1857, Reuben King; 1858, John Lathe; 1859-'60, Alpheus Clark; 1861, Lucius E. Rice; 1862-'77, John Lathe.
Collectors :-1852, Amos Cady; 1853, O. Woodruff; 1854-'55, Amos Cady; 1856-'63, John Roberts; 1864-'67, SamuelG. Scott; 1868-'69, O. W. Richardson; 1870-'71, E. C. Sweeney; 1872-'75, Harry R.Smith; 1876, Joseph F. Wilkins; 1877, E. B. Hazard.
Justices of the Peace :-1852, David P. Moore; 1854, Joseph F. Wilkins, D. P. Moore; 1858, Wesley Anderson, Orange Woodruff; 1860, Wesley Anderson, O. Woodruff; 1864, Joseph F. Wilkins, W. Anderson; 1868, J. F. Wilkins, W. Anderson; 1872, J. F. Wilkins; 1873, Charles C. Sweeney; 1877, J. F. Wilkins, Moses Lathe.
Lyndon township contains 16,390 acres of improved lands and 409 acres unimproved; 174 improved lots, and 94 unimproved. According to the Assessor's book for 1877 there are in the township 618 horses, 1,926 cattle, 17 mules and asses, 658 sheep, 2,256 hogs, 2 billiard' tables, 170 carriages and wagons, 38 watches and clocks, 106 sewing and knitting machines, 5 piano-fortes, 33 melodeons and organs. Total assessed value of lands, lots and personal property, $407,012; railroad property, $27,295; total assessed value of all property in 1877, $434,307.
The population of the township of Lyndon in 1870, as shown by the census report of that year, was 1,039, of which 963 were of native birth, and 760 foreign birth. The estimated population in 1877 is 1,100. [Source: Whiteside County, Illinois, From Its First Settlement To The Present Time; by Charles Bent; pub. 1877]
Bridge Construction 1886
Photo contributed by the Lyndon Historical Society
The original village of Lyndon was laid out and platted in 1837, the proprietors originally being Messrs. John C. Pratt, William D. Dudley Adam R. Hamilton, Elisha Hazard, Chauncey G. Woodruff. Col. Ebenezer Seely, Dr. Augustin Smith, and P. Daggett and consiated of eighteen blocks, with one additional block reserved for a public square. The proprietors could not have selected a more beautiful location for a town. It is situated on the north bank of Rock river, upon a plateau of sufficient height to prevent overflow, and afford a fine southern exposure. The lots on the south side of First and extending to the river were reserved for a levee, as the proprietors, at the time of laying out the village, anticipated a large river business. Boats had passed up and down the stream before that time, carrying freight both ways, and it was but natural that they should look to the river as the great channel upon which their grain and produce could be taken to market, and goods received in return. After the organization of the town, several steamers were loaded with grain at the Lyndon levee for St. Louis and other southern ports, so that their anticipations were in a measure realized; but the navigation of the river did not last long. Nevertheless Lyndon prospered, and was for a long tune one of the first towns in the county, and its immense water power, if properly utilized, as it undoubtedly soon will be, cannot fail of again placing it in the front rank.
In 1869 the Rockford, Rock Island & St. Louis Railroad was completed and as its track ran close to the town, anticipations of a brighter day were very generally entertained. It was, however, outside of the limits of the old town, so that in order to have the track within the village, an addition, called the Railroad Addition, was laid out and platted March 6, 1869, the proprietors of which were George Greene, Aaron P. Holt, Thomas W. Trumbull, M. M. Warner, Sarah Forth, Louisa Forth, Charlotte M. Aljoe, Samuel G. Scott, James H. Maxwell, and Sarah M. Maxwell. The Addition comprises thirty-seven blocks and is situated on the southeast part of section 16, township 20, range 5. The railroad depot is upon this addition, and at present nearly all the business houses, the old town being nearly deserted, save by dwellings, for which it furnishes some beautiful sites. A further addition, known as Fitch's Addition, George W. Fitch and Martin Conyne proprietors, was laid out and platted June 4, 1874. This addition comprises seven blocks, and is situated on part of the southwest quarter of section 15, township 20, range 5. Still later another addition, called the Mill Addition, has been laid out and platted, which contains seven blocks, besides the water lots adjoining the river. The mills, and the factory of the Farmers Co-operative Manufacturing Company, are located on this addition. Sperry's Addition, containing two blocks, and fractional parts of two blocks, lying on the river north of the old town, was laid out and platted some time after the latter was platted.
The first frame house in the old part of Lyndon was erected by Dr. A Augustin Smith, in 1826. The same building was used in 1839 by John Roy as a store, Mr. Roy being the first person to open a store in the place. The first hotel was kept by S. Wilson, in 1841. Liquor was occasionally sold at this hotel when under the proprietorship of Mr. Wilson, but when it passed into the hands of Mr. Roy it was kept so strictly temperate that the place received the name of Saints Rest." The lower or old ferry has been abandoned for several years, the upper ferry crossing the river just below the mill dam. The business houses and shops at present are: three grocery stores, one dry goods store, one drug store, one millinery store, one cabinet and furniture store, one hardware store, one livery stable, one barber shop, one restaurant, one meat market, one wagon shop, one lumber yard, three blacksmith shops, and two hotels.
The village of Lyndon was incorporated in 1874, under the general law of the State for the incorporation of cities and villages, and the first election held, as provided in the act, on the third Tuesday of April of that year. The election was held at the Town Hall, and a pretty full vote polled. The fellowing gentlemen were elected Trustees : John W. Hazard, Dr. A. P. Holt, Charles C. Sweenev, J. L. Bates, Leander Church, and M. A. McKerg. The first meeting of the new Board of Trustees was held at the office of Dr. A. P. Holt, on the 2nd of May 1874, and a temporary organization effected by appointing J. W. Hazard, chairman. and Leander Church, clerk. An election for President of the Board for the ensuing year was then held, which resulted in the choice of J. W. Hazard. The Board also elected E. B. Hazard Village Clerk and William M. Burkitt Treasurer, for the year. The usual commitees were also appointed Mr. C. L. Parkhurst presented a petition for a license to sell intoxicating liquor, which was laid over until a subsequent meeting, and finally granted, the license fee being fixed at $125. The necessary ordinances for the government of the village were also passed and approved during the year. In 1875, the following Board of Trustees were elected; John W. Hazard, Charles C Sweeney. James L. Bayes. M. A. McKerg, W.H. Williams, and John Whallon. John Whallon was elected President. E. B. Hazard, Clerk, and Wm. M. Burkitt, Treasurer. At the charter election held this year a majority of votes were cast in favor of granting licenses for the sale of intoxicating liquor, and several were granted by the Board in pursuance thereof. The following gentlemen were elected Trustees in 1876; W.H. Williams, Orrin M. Crary, P.M. Jewell, Alex. Wilson, G.G. Seger, and E.B. Hazard. W.H. Williams was elected President, Wils Greenlee, Clerk, and John W. Hazard, Treasurer. At this election the people voted not to grant any licenses for the sale of liquor. The Board of Trustees for 1877 is composed of the following gentlement; W.H. Williams, Orrin M. Crary, P.M. Jewell, Alex. Wilson, G.G. Seger, and E.B. Hazard. President W.H. Williams; Clerk, Geo. W. Andrews; Treasurere, John W. Hazard. The vote this year was also against granting licenses for the sale of liquor.
The Lyndon Hydraulic Manufacturing Company was organized in the spring of 1872, under the general manufacturing law of the State, with a capital of $60,000. The officers were: President, Justus Rew; Secretary, John Whallon; Directors, Justus Rew, George W. Fitch, George Coburn, George P. Richmond, Pardon A. Brooks, B. E. Orton, and John W. Hazard. The Company erected a dam during the same year across Roek river at the head of the rapids, a little north of the village of Lyndon. The dam is seven feet high and eleven hundred and eighty feet long, giving a head of eight feet, and securing a power of thirty thousand inches of water, and cost $30,000. The Company also erected a Merchant Flouring Mill the same year, with five run of stones. The mill 1s 45 by 50 feet in size, three stories in height above the basement, and is known as the Lyndon Mill. It cost $35,000. The mill was afterwards transferred to Church & Patterson, with use of sufficient water power, and by the latter gentlemen to L. P. Johnson. .
The Paper Manufacturing Mill is situated near the Flouring Mill, and was built 1n 1873, by the Orton Bros., at a cost of $12,000. In 1875 it was transferred to Johnson & Hubbard who furnished the water wheels, and all the machlnery at an additional cost of $21,000. The building is one hundred and sixty feet long and fifty feet wide, and two stories high above the basement. In addition to the main building is the boiler house, sixteen feet long and twenty-four wide, constructed of brick, with stone basement. The mill uses two sand inches of water, and manufactures two tons of straw wrapping paper per day.
The Victoria Flouring Mill, (Lyndon) on the same water power, was built in 1873 by Hoole & Putnam. It is a two and a half story frame building, fifty feet long and forty feet wide, with stone basenaent, and cost $18,000. The mill uses one thousand inches of water under a head of eight feet. supplied by the Lyndon Hydraulic Companv and manufactures seventy-five barrels of flour, and six hundred bushels of feed per day. In 1875 Mr. Putnam sold his interest to Alexander Wilson, and the mill is owned and conducted by the firm of Hoole & Wilson.
The Farmers Co-operative Manufacturing Company of Lyndon, was organized under the general law of the State of Illinois in 1873. In 1875 the Company commenced the erection of their building for manufacturing purposes and finished it in 1876. It is a brick structure, the main building being one hundred and sixty feet long and eighty feet wide two stories high with stone basement, and the addition eighty feet long and eighty feet wide, one story high with iron roof. The design of the Company is to manufacture all kinds of farming implements. The first President of the Company was L.C. Belding of Carroll county. At the second election, Ambrose Denton was chosen President; Alexander Wilson, Treasurer, and Charles H. Rood. Secretary. The present officers are Samuel J. Baird, President; John Whallon, Secretary, and W.C. Snyder, Treasurer. The building erected by the Company is admirably adapted for manufacturing purposes.
The Congregational Church and Society of Lyndon was organized 27th of June, 1836, and was the first religious society organized in Whiteside county. The initiatory steps looking toward the organization of this society were taken by Adam H. Hamilton, William D. Dudley and Chauncey G. Woodruff and their families, the earliest settlers of Lyndon, and fresh from the great revivals which occurred in New York and other Eastern States during the winters of1830 to 1835. The meeting was held at the house of William D. Dudley, and presided over by Rev. Elisha Hazard, the agent of the American Home Missiionary Society, who had come to the West to organize churches and societies under its patronage. The meeting adopted the Confession of Faith, and the Coveenant and enrolled the following names on the church book ; Adam R. Hamilton, Nancy Hamilton, John M. Hamilton, Adam R. Hamilton, Jr., Nancy A. Hamilton, Lovica Hamilton, Mary E. Hamilton, William D. Dudley, Tripbena I Dudley, Louisa Dudley, Liberty Walker, Chaunecy G. Woodruff, Sophia Woodruff, Julia Woodruff, Ephraim A. Hubbard, 0. L. Turner, Joshua T. Atkinson, Emily Atkinson. In 1838 an addition of eighteen members was made to the church by letter from the East. These embraced the families of William Clark, Anna Dudley, Daniel F. Millikan, George Garlick, Augustin W. Newhall, J.M. Kneelaud and Alexis Hubbard. In 1839 there came to the church the families of Charles S. Deming, Artemas, Cady, P. Daggett. Solomon Hubbard, Brainard Orton, and John Roy. Besides these twenty-two others came by profession of faith. The places of worship alternated at first between the bluff school house, and houses in the village. In the village meetings were held at Dr. Smith's house, the upper story of Mr. Newhall's house, Gould's building which was used for school house, Circuit Court and Church, Atkinson's house Gilbert's store room, Chamber's store room, and the first school building erected in Lyndon. The church building was erected in 1850 at a cost of about $2,500. Its size is thirty-two feet wide by forty-eight long, and directly faces the south, which position, owing to the peculiar formation of the village, brings it almost broadside to the street. It was a fine church edifice for the West in its day The first pastor of the society was the Rev. Elisha Hazard, who continued from 1836 to 1842. Rev. Nathaniel Smith followed, remaining until 1846, when Rev. Wm. W. Blanchard became pastor and remained until 1850. He was succeeded by Rev. Mr. Ward, who remained only a short time, when Rev. A. Chapman was called to the pastorate and remained five years. Rev. H. Judd came next and continued in charge until the fall of 1862. Rev. W.D. Webb was next called, and continued his labors for five years, and was succeeded by Rev. Simon Gilbert, who labored for a term of two years. Rev. John Gray followed with another two year term. Rev. Charles Machin is the present pastor. Adam R. Hamilton was chosen the first deacon of the church, and so continued until his death. The only associate Deacon Hamilton had in this office during his life, was Daniel F. Millikan, who was chosen in July, 1840. After Deacon Hamiltons death, Martin Conyne was chosen in his place. In February, 1877, Alexis Hubbard was chosen third deacon, making the present deacons of the church, Daniel F. Millikan, Martin Conyne, and Alexis Hubbard. John Roy was appointed the first clerk of the church, and continued in that office for a quarter of a century. He was succeeded by Alexis Hubbard, the present clerk. The present trustees of the church are Draper Richmond, Jerome Sands, and Edward Lancaster. The present membership of the church is eighty-six.
The Methodist Episcopal Church and Society of Lyndon was organized by Revs. W. Buck and G. L. S. Stuff in 1841, the first members being Chauncey G. Woodruff, Leonora Hazard. Soon afterward the following persons united with the church: Dr. Augustin Smith, Lucy Smith, Lucy Ann Ware. J. D. Odell, Samantha Reynolds and Rarry R. Smith. Lyndon was at first a remote part of the Savanna circuit, and then became attached to the Union Grove circuit. Preaching was first held at the Chambers' store building, and afterwards at the residence of Mr. Atkinson, until the Town Hall was built, when services were conducted in that building. One of the most suecessful revivals experienced by the church took place in the winter of 1859-60, when about one hundred persons were converted and united with the church. It then formed a part of the Union Grove circuit, and was under the pastoral charge of Rev. A. Cross. In 1874 a church edifice was erected at a cost of $2.500. It is sixty feet in length and forty feet in width, and is a very neat and commodious structure. The church has now one hundred and three members in full communion, and fifty on probation. Rev. J. Wardle is the present pastor. The Sundav-school connected with the church has a membership of one hundred and seventy Mr. P.M. Jewell is the Superintendent, and is assisted by twelve teachers.
The Baptist Church and Society was organized on the 9th of September, 1837, by the adoption of a constitution and the articles of faith and practice. The organization was called the Baptist Church of Lyndon. The church continued in successful working order until recently, when the meetings were discontinued on account of the death and removal of all the members. The meetings of this church, like those of the Congregational and Methodist churches, were held in private houses until the building of the Town Hall, and afterwards at that place. The society did not erect a church building. The last regular meeting was held at the Town Hall on the 13th of October, 1875. The society, however, keeps up its organization, and has an occasional ministerial supply.
The first school-house erected in the village of Lyndon stood a little west of the present site, and was a one-story frame building, thirty-six feet long and twenty-four feet wide, with two windows in each end and four on each side. The floor was inclined, and the seats of pine made in the old style. The building was put up in 1840. The first teacher was Lewis Jessup, a graduate of Williams College, Massachusetts. Mr. Jessup taught three years, and had charge of the entire school, consisting of seventy-five or eighty scholars, gathered from all parts of the county. This was the first school above the ordinary grade established in the county and at which Edward P. Scott, Joseph F. Roy, Joseph Ware, Col. W. M. Kilgour, William Prothrow, Emma Roy, R. B. Colcord, and many other prominent and influential sons and daughters of the early settlers received their early education. Mr. Jessup was succeeded by Mr. Stout and he in turn by Mr. Bush, Miss Putnam, Mr. Hillis, Edwin Roy, Ellen Newhall, Clinton G Taylor, H.H. Smith, M. H. Kelly, Edward P. Scott, Col. D. R. Clendenin, Martha Millikan, Clista Hatch, Miss Wisner, George Manning, Edwin Chapman and O. M. Crary, the present incumbent, who is now on his eighth year. During the continuance of this school the following persons have been prepared for college. John Rice. Henry H. Smith, Samuel Deming, Frank Millikan, Lucy Ann Ware, S. D. Belt. Emma Ware, Col D. B. Clendenin, Edwin Chapman, Hiram Rice, John Jeffers, Alexis Hubbard and Charles Jeffers. The cost of the first school-house was $600. The next school building was erected in 1851, is fifty feet in length and thirty-six feet in width, two stories in height, and cost $2,500. It is now used for the Primary and High School departments. The new building was erected in 1873, is two stories high, an contains intermediate and Grammar departments. The following is the present corps of teachers : Prof. O. M. Crary, Principa and teacher in High School: Miss Jennie Shannon, teacher in Grammar department, Miss Cora Patterson teacher in Intermediate Department and Miss Gussie Roberts, teacher in primary department. The High School comprises one grade with a course of four year's; the Grammar department, one grade with a course of two years and the intermediate, two grades of one year each. Diplomas, signed by the Principal and the School Board are given to the members of the graduating class who pass a satisfaetory examination on on completing the High School Course. Scholars not residing in the district are received in the High School, Grammar and First Intermediate departments, at the tuition prescribed by the School Board. Those from a distance can obtain rooms and board in private families at reasonable rates. The number of pupils enrolled in the school is two hundred and ten, of whom ten are transient. The school is well seated, and has a good apparatus, together with unabridged dictionaries and Appleton's New American Encyclopedia. The Board of Directors consists of L.E. Rice, President; John Roberts, Clerk; and Alexis Hubbard.
The Grand Lodge A.F. & A.M. of the State of Illinois (Lyndon) in 1876 granted a dispensation to H.C. Helms, Draper Richmond, John Whallon, William M. Burkitt, George C. Scott, John J. Hurlburt, Jabez S. Smith, Hiram Austin, F. A. Decker, George W. Andrews, Henry D. Kniskersn, J.H. Helms, C.H. Birdsall, Henry Edson, Cyrus Reynolds, E.B. Hazard, Martin Conyne, Orrin M. Crary, John Roberts, Caleb B. Smith, Edward F. Nash, George C. Morris, Wm. Burns, Garrett G. Seger and M.V. Sanderson, to organize Lyndon Lodge No. 750, A.F. & A.M. The first meeting under the dispensation was held August 28, 1876, the officers consisting of J.J. Hurlburt, W.M; M.V. Sanderson, S.W.; Jabez S. Smith, J.W.; John Roberts, S.D., and the Lodge was duly organized. On the 4th of October the Lodge received its charter from the Grand Lodge of the State. The present officers of the Lodge are; J.J. Hurlburt, W.M.; M.V. Sanderson, S.W.; Jabez S. Smith, J.W.; John Roberts, S.D.; Kelly Smith, J.D.; L.L. Scott, Secretary; and Henry E. Helms, Treasurer. Quite a number of members have been received into the Lodge since its organization, and it is in a prosperous condition. The Lodge was dedicated Thursday evening, October 18, 1877.
In 1855 the young people of Lyndon organized a literary society called "Our Society" the capital being a library which, in a short time numbered over two hundred volumes, most of which were standard works. Their meetings were semi-monthly and literary productions were required of the members, and it was a law of the society that everything should be original in its character. [Source: Whiteside County, Illinois, From Its First Settlement To The Present Time; by Charles Bent; pub. 1877]
1913-14 Anti-Liquor Petition Signed by Residents of Lyndon
BACK -- HOME
© Copyright Genealogy Trails