401 North Base Street - Morrison IL - John & Sylvia Root Home
The Roots built this Victorian Ginger Bread in 1864. It has some modern exterior modifications. However, the interior retains its original lighting fixtures, marble fireplace, inlaid hardwood floors, French doors, and porcelain door knobs. It is said that the oversized front door was built to accommodate moving caskets from the living room to the front porch, since in the early days, viewing the recently deceased prior to the funeral was usually done in the home.
105 South Base Street. Turreted Queen Anne-1892
201 South Base Street. Italianate
203 South Base Street. Craftsman-1906
301 South Base Street. Queen Anne-1904
300 South Clinton - Morrison IL - Dr. Robert A. Millikan home. Birthplace of Nobel Prize Winner, Physicist, Dr. Robert A. Millikan
401 North Genesee Street, Colonial Revival
408 North Genesee Street, Italianate-circa 1862
509 North Genesee Street. Itahanate-1862
210 South Genesee Street, Queen Anne-1899
301 South Genesee Street - Frank Ramsey Home
Judge Frank Ramsey built this Queen Anne Stick style home in 1890. He was a Morrison attorney and Whiteside County Judge for many years. Since his death, the house has had many owners. The front entry door is solid oak with oval beveled glass and oval beveled and leaded glass sidelights. The interior open staircase is also oak. The library features a fireplace and built-in bookcases. The dining room floor is made of alternating strips of walnut and hard maple.
105 South Grape Street, Queen Anne
Green Mansion in 1890 - The Queen Anne designed 14 room mansion built by John S. Green in this photo is just a few years after it was built. The home was the first in Morrison to feature the Queen Anne architectural style and the first to make use of gas lighting, boasting some 30 gas burners throughout the structure. Stately and impressive homes are among the assets of the City of Morrison and many were built at the turn of the century and featured unique architectural styling. Among them is the Green Manion built in the 1880's by John S. Greena, a prominent druggist. A landmark now, the old Green residence was designed by W.W. Sanborn of Clinton, Iowa alogn with plans submitted by the owners. The plans for the new home were elaborate and the cost of the structure reached a stagering $10,000. The basement featured a laundry department, a cistern and pump to backup the city supply and steam heating. The basement was constructed with 18 inch stone wall, some two feet think. On the upper floor, the kitchen was 12 x 14 ft finished in pine, in which a closet and a model pantry 6 x 9 ft, with a latticed porch formed the west end of the house. A 14 x 18 foot formal dining room was richly finished in imitation cherry wood. The sitting room was 15 x 21 and finished in natural pine with a single light of extra heavy plate glass, with ground glass panels in pretty design, and with a window on the south some 54 x72 inches. An outside door on the southeast corner of the sitting room opened to a outside porch, south of the parlors and a door leading from the north end of this room opened into a bedroom 14 x 17 feet, from which leads convenient closets and bathroom with all modern conveniences of that time. Another door at the north opened from the sitting room into the front hall and sliding door formed the entrance from the sitting room to the parlor on the east which was 15 x 16 and elegantly furnished in natural cherry, being handsomely carved with plaster casings which were also used for the doors and windows all over the house. The stairway leading from the fron hall to the second story was made of red oak with ornamental designs, elegantly and expensively finished. The second floor plan included a back stairway, two halls, five large bedrooms with transoms,f ireplaces with grates, eight closets and a storage area. From the second floor a stairway leads to the large attic which was lighted by several handsome stained windows. Also in the attic was a large tank which provided the family with soft water. From the attic, another stairway leads to a "crow's nest" a cozy retreat under the east gable and to the main deck which is surrounded by an ornamental iron balcany at an elevation of some 35 feet from ground level. At the front entrance, a veranda of unique design was built east and west of the hall some 6 x 40 feet. The original Green home was heated by steam and contained some five direct and five indirect radiators. The lighting was known as the Detroit combination gass machine and it supplied gas throughout the structure to 30 burners. Handsome chandeliers were also provided in the lower rooms and these operated on electricity. A semi-circular sidewalk was constructed in front and the walk was made of thick strips placed edgeways, tarred and sanded, with ample openings for water to seep through. In the construction of this house, 11 gables were formed. In the spacious grounds a woodshed and storehouse were located at the westend and a stable was built near the northwest corner of the property. ANother feature was the driveway which extended around the house. The old Green house has undergone changes due to its various owners through the years, but it still reflects the quality of the original almost 100 years ago. The house underwent extensive decorating in the 1960's after it was purchased by the late Robert Kingery who bought the rambling structure to house his unusual and extensive collection of antiques. The Kingerys were responsible for major redecorating and the only heavy remodeling was in the kitchen which they removed and started all over again. Paneled walls of mahogany was a feature in the kitchen and they added modern refinements and appliances. It still offers an old time flavor through the use of old hanging store lanterns, shuttered windows, copper coffee pots and bracket lamps. [From the Daily Gazette July 1, 1976]
308 East Knox Street, Sears-Roebuck Co. Bungalow
104 West Knox Street -1880
108 West Knox Street, Colonial Revival- 1855
401 West Lincolnway - James B. Mason Home
The Italianate style home was built around 1868. The downstairs has ornamental plaster ceilings and wood Doric columns between the parlor and dining room. It also features beveled glass casework, a stained glass transom over the entry door, and an open curved staircase with walnut railings
Lincoln Road, Unionville, Grist Mill-circa 1859
202 East Lincolnway - The Odell Building
Built as a Congregational Church in 1864, it was the home of that congregation until the mid- 1880's. In 1897, it was purchased by J. Danforth Odell who later donated the building to the Morrison Literary and Scientific Association. In 1905, it became the Odell Public Library and served as such until 1995, when the City of Morrison built a new library facility. The City deeded the building to the Morrison Historical Society, and it currently serves as their museum. Two major changes have occurred to the building. In 1935, under the W. P. A., an addition was added to the north end of the building; and in the 1960's, due to structural failure, the front of the building was removed and replaced. This building is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
300 West Lincoinway, Gothic Revival-circa 1866
304 West Lincolnway, Gothic Revival-1871
310 West Lincoinway, Second Empire-1878
402 West Lincoinway, Italianate-1878
410 West Lincolnway, Italianate
500 West Lincolnway - Charles Bent Home
The Charles Bent home was built in the 1890's. Mr. Bent served in the Union Army during the Civil War as a Lieutenant, owned a local newspaper, and was a Republican State Senator. The interior of this Turreted Queen Ann style contains decorative plaster ceilings, two glassed-in china cabinets in the dining room, ornamental pendant ceiling fixtures. 6 imported Italian marble fireplaces, and an ornate open staircase. Maids quarters were on the second floor. Charles Bent was the author of the "History of Whiteside County 1877".
508 West Lincoinway, Italianate-1876
600 West Lincoinway, Queen Anne-1891/Tudor--1902
606 West Lincolnway, Colonial Revival-1898
219 East Main Street - Carlton House
This building has had many uses over the past 150 years. It was built in 1852 in Unionville, just west of Morrison, as the Congregational Church. It was moved to its present location during the winter of 1859- 1860. In earlier years, it saw use as a hotel under the names of Franklin House and Canton House. In 1893, the two-story east wing was added, and a brick front put on. After serving as a hotel for many years, it became the first hospital in Morrison. It was later owned by Mr. And Mrs. John Ardapple, who gifted the building to the Morrison Historical Society for their first home and museum.
521 East Main Street, Second Empire- 1882
532 East Main Street, Neo-Classical--Circa 1914
104 West Morris Street, Italianate-circa 1880
108 W. Morris. - The Martin Van Buren & Jessie (Furlong) Smith Home was built in 1875. Italianate style. Identifying features...cross hipped roof... asymmetrical façade... paired eave brackets... dentils...segmental arch wood window surrounds...clapboard siding with cornerboards.... Martin Van Buren Smith was born in 1841, the son of Job C & Susan (Fulton) Smith of Elmira, New York.... Martin came to Morrison to work as a telegraph operator for the Chicago & North Western Rail Road... he was an alderman for several terms and postmaster... in 1869, he married Jessie J. Furlong, the daughter of John & Sarah Furlong...later, this was the home of Emerson Bickert & Theo Peterson. Emerson operated a shoe store on E. Main St., and Theo taught rural school.
207 West Morris Street, Prairie Style
104 East North Stree - Louisa L. Thatcher Home
Miss Thatcher purchased part of the land on January 27, 1883 and the balance on April 26, 1883. Her Italianate style home was built sometime between 1883 and 1885. The house was first sold to Gertrude Tuttle, who subsequently sold it to Ferdinand Trautwein, the owner of the first telephone company in Morrison. The interior features front and rear staircases, a fireplace, three chandeliers, and hardwood floors throughout. Many of its 30 windows appear to have the original blown glass lights.
106 East North Street. Colonial Revival
110 East North Street. Turreted Queen Anne-1906
Built in 1906 by William Ellsworth & Minnie Weaver. He was born in 1866, the son of Henry C. and Mary Jane (Nightseer) Weaver. William graduated from Knox College in 1891, he was an educator (a professor of science, principal & superintendent at Morrison High School ). In 1903 he married Minnie Fredericka Becker. She was born in 1877, the daughter of John Peter & Philipina Becker. William was a noted local historian. Queen Anne, spindlework, identifying features, hipped roof with lower cross gables, a gable-on-hip, round tower (interrupted by a second story porch), with a conical tower & finial, wraparound porch with turned supports & spindlework at the frieze, fish scale wood shingles, clapboard siding with cornerboards. [Information provided by Jan Roggy, excerpted from David Badger’s book]
201 West North Street, Folk Victorian
102 Olive Street - M.H. Potter Home
Warren J. & Marion L. Potter Home -
This brick residence was built during 1924 and 1925. Mr. Potter was a prominent building materials dealer, and a longtime director of Smith Trust and Savings Bank. This Tudor-Jacobean home was designed by Clinton, IA architect, Walter Bort. It was named "Tall Chimney's" because of the two chimneys; each over forty feet high. It's interior features include a large fireplace in the living room, and an entry way, great hall, and living porch with slate floors. The living room, library, dining room, and great hall all have exposed oak ceiling beams.
504 Portland Avenue, Colonial Revival-1908
209 East Wall Street - Rensellaer V. Stocking Home
John W. and Sarah Stakes purchased this land from the United States in 1845. Over the next few years, the property had several owners. In 1866, Rensellaer V. Stocking purchased the land and built this unique Octagonal style home.
409 East Wall Street, Italianate-1889
310 West Wall Street - Henry Sauer Home
Local hardware store owner, Henry Sauer and his wife Mattie, built this Farmhouse Victonan home in 1880. The living room has the original architectural metal ceiling and 10 inch mop boards are throughout the downstairs. The transom over the main west entry has a beveled leaded glass transom window. Only members of his family have occupied it since its construction. Flora, the Sauer's daughter, lived in the house all her life, passing away in 1982. Flora's heirs now own the property.
E.A. Smith Residence
The Smith Home - (Private) - Morrison IL
This Arts and Crafts/Prairie style home, known by the family as "Four Winds", was built in about 1924 by Frank L. and Katherine (Coan) Smith. The architect was Walter Earl Bort of Clinton, IA and the contractor was David Barnum. There are 56 windows, several exterior French Doors, and the roof is made of Ludicici Spanish Tile. As a gift to her children, Mrs. Smith commissioned a muralist to paint the basement walls to make it appear one was on a steamship. (July 1, 1976 Daily Gazette)
BACK -- HOME
© Copyright Genealogy Trails