Unless noted otherwise, the source is Bent & Wilson 1877 - History of Whiteside County
Ancient Order United Workmen Union Lodge No. 3, Sterling, was organized February 13, 1875, with fourteen charter members, by 0. J. Noble, P. P. S. M. W., of Davenport, Iowa, in the old Masonic Hall, Boynton Block. The first officers were: S. S. Lukens, P. M. W.; W. H. Cadwell, M. W.; W. S. Wilcox, G. F.; W. A. Hall, O.; John St. John, Recorder; W. H. Tuttle, Financier; E. L. Wilson, Receiver; James Summers, Watchman; E. G. Feigley, Guide; S. S. Lukens, E. D. Jackson, C. G. Crandall, Trustees; and S. S. Lukens, W. Cadwell, and W. S. Wilcox, Representatives to the Grand Lodge. The officers for the present term are: W. A. Hall, P. M. W.; H. S. Tuttle, M. W.; W N. Harrison. G. F., J. K. Aument, O.; H. S. Hooke, Recorder; F. S. Aument, Financier; E. L. Wilson, Receiver; G. W. Capp, J. W.; Rae Frazier, O. W., M. Brown, Guide; W. A. Hall, O. M. Brown, C. G. Crandall, Dr. F. Gordon, Trustees; S. S. Lukens W. S. Wilcox, and E. S. Wilson, Representatives to the Grand Lodge. The Past Masters are: S. S. Lukens, W. H. Cadwell, W. S. Wi.lcox, W. H. Tuttle, M. H. Culver, and W. A. Hall. The present membership is over fifty.
Germania Maennerchor now one of the largest in Sterling, was organized in June, 1869, and incorporated in 1874. The organinazation was effected under the leadership of Prof. Fred. Buck, and other well known musicians and singers. The first officers were: L. Stoeckle, President; G. A. Shober, Secretary; and E. Ellinger, Treasurer. The first meetings of the society were held in the hall, now the present Council Room, over the Postoffice on Mulberry street. The membership grew so rapidly, however, that the society erected a building of its own, a few doors south of the Postoffice, the second story of which they now use. The building is of brick, and thirty-six by seventy feet in size. The hall is beautifully fitted up, and every convenience made for the comfort and pleasure of the organization. The stage of itself is is fifteen by thirty-five feet, and is supplied with a large variety of rich and splendid scenery. The music of this Society is of a high order, both vocal and instrumental. The membership now numbers over one hundred, and is composed of many of the best German citizens of Sterling. The regular meetings of the Society are held on the first Tuesday of each month, but there are singing meeting on every Monday and Thursday evenings of each week, from 8 to 9 o'clock. Present officers are: B. Struckmann, President; G. Naef, Vice President; August Frank, Recording Secretary; Adam Hutten, Finance Secretary; David Wolf, Cashier; G. Naef, Janitor; Prof. Fred. Buck, Leader; F. Haberle, Nicholas Gulrapp, and David Wolf, Trustees.
Grand Army of the Republic , Lincoln Post No. 16, (Sterling) Grand Army was organized June 15, 1874, with twenty-three charter members. The officers elected at that time were: Frank W. Gordon, Post Commander; J.W.R. Stambaugh,; Senior P. C.;. S. S. Bradshaw, Junior P. C.; E. H. Kingery, Quartermaster; Theo. H. Mack, Adjutant; W. N. Harrison, Officer of the Day; Rev. J.H. More, Chaplain; Dr. Thomas Eckles, Surgeon; Andrew K. Haberer, Officer of the Guard; H. H. Higby, Sergeant Major; William Little, Quartermaster Sergeant.. These officers are in the main the present ones. The meetings of the Post were first held in the armory of the City Guards, Farwell Hall, and and afterwards in the Hall of the O. U. A. M., Boynton Block. A new Hall was then nicly fitted up in Stoeckle's building, on Third street, which is now jointly occupied by the G.A.R..; O. U. A. W.; and A. O. U. W. The meetings of the post are set down for every Wednesday evening. The election of officers of Will Enderton Post took place last Monday night. The new officers will take the chairs the first meeting of January. The new officers are: Commander, D. Underwood; Sen. Vice Com., J.K. Williams; Jun. Vice Com. W.N. Pearl; Surgeon, G.W. James; Chaplain, E.C. Winters; Quarter Master, E.C. Palmer; Officer of the Day, J.O. Wagley; Officer of the Guard, James Arey; Trustees, J.V. McCarty, W.A. Hall and F.D. Rosebrook; Representative to State Encampment, J.E. Durstine; Alternate, J.K. Williams, [Sterling Standard Dec. 11, 1896]
The Grand Lodge A.F. & A.M. of the State of Illinois (Lyndon) in 1876 granted a dispensation to H.C. Helms, Draper Richmond, John Whallon, William M. Burkitt, George C. Scott, John J. Hurlburt, Jabez S. Smith, Hiram Austin, F. A. Decker, George W. Andrews, Henry D. Kniskersn, J.H. Helms, C.H. Birdsall, Henry Edson, Cyrus Reynolds, E.B. Hazard, Martin Conyne, Orrin M. Crary, John Roberts, Caleb B. Smith, Edward F. Nash, George C. Morris, Wm. Burns, Garrett G. Seger and M.V. Sanderson, to organize Lyndon Lodge No. 750, A.F. & A.M. The first meeting under the dispensation was held August 28, 1876, the officers consisting of J.J. Hurlburt, W.M; M.V. Sanderson, S.W.; Jabez S. Smith, J.W.; John Roberts, S.D., and the Lodge was duly organized. On the 4th of October the Lodge received its charter from the Grand Lodge of the State. The present officers of the Lodge are; J.J. Hurlburt, W.M.; M.V. Sanderson, S.W.; Jabez S. Smith, J.W.; John Roberts, S.D.; Kelly Smith, J.D.; L.L. Scott, Secretary; and Henry E. Helms, Treasurer. Quite a number of members have been received into the Lodge since its organization, and it is in a prosperous condition. The Lodge was dedicated Thursday evening, October 18, 1877.
Good Templar's - Sterling Lodge, I.O.G.T., was organized in November, 1873, with eighteen charter members. Since that it has increased rapidly, and now has over two hundred members in good standing, largely composed of young~ ladies and gentlemen. The Lodge meets in the same rooms as the Christian Association, on Mulberry street, every Tuesday evening. The present officers are: John G. Manahan, P. W. C.; R. B. Witmer, W. C.; Louie King, R. H. S.; Ada Ward, L.. H. S.; Sadie Murphy, W. V.; W. S. Ward, S.; James Rae, F. S.; Theodore H. Mack, T.; George Newton, C.; C. E. Windom, M.; J. W. Manahan, A. M.; Hattie Ward, I. G.; Charles Mason, O. G.
Knights of Pythias, Corinthian Lodge No. 63 Sterling) was organized November 23, 1875, with twenty-one members. Now there are over forty. Officers: Julius E. Pappe, Past Chancellor; E. G. Allen, Chancellor Commander; Aaron J. Hull, Vice Chancellor; Caleb C. Johnson, Prelate; FL B. Edwards, Keeper of Records and Seals; John S. Miller, Master of the Exchequer; O. J. Stowell, Master of Finance; William A. McCune, Master at Arms; J. W. R. Stambaugh, Inner Guard; A. M. Burkey, Orator. The object of the organization is friendship and benevolence.
Ladies Relief Association of Sterling, was organized in June, 1874, the object being the noble one of bestowing relief upon the worthy destitute of the city, and at the same time advance the cause of temperance. Since the organization of the society a large number of indigent persons have been seen, and their wants provided for. The society is growing in strength and influence, and is one of the best institutions in the city. It is composed of about one hundred of the first ladies of the town_ladies who mean to relieve the distressed. The meetings are set for every Friday afternoon at the Christian Association Rooms., The present officers are: Mrs. J. T. Mason, President; Mrs. Nelson Maxson, Vice President; Mrs. M. H. Kreider, Treasurer; Mrs. E. M. Smith, Secretary; Mrs. R. C. Andrews, corresponding Secretary.
Rock River Council No. 33, R. & S. M (Sterling) meets at Masonic Hall, on the first Tuesdays of each month. The present officers are: M. S. Bowman, T. J. G. M.; Lorenzo Hapgood, D. G. M.; Sidney T. Osmer, P. C. of W; Henry S. Street, Capt. of G.; T. Y. Davis, Conductor; U. B. Kitel, Treasurer W. S. Peebles, Recorder; J. M. Martin, Steward; T. Fulton, Sentinel.
Sterling Cemetery Association was organized February 16, 1865, and soon secured a beautiful location, in the upper part of the town, at the east end of Third street. The Cemetery comprises about fifty acres of beautifully rolling ground, interspersed with a natural growth of trees and making the landscape scenery unsurpassed. In it are interred many of Sterlings departed, and the burial places of many of them have monuments of elegant design and finish erected to their memory. The officers are: S. S. Patterson, President; Wm. A. Sanborn, Treasurer; Hon. James Dinsmoor, Secretary; and J.M. Galt, Superintendent. The old cemetery of Sterling was located over thirty years ago, and contains about two acres. The entrance is at the north end of Locust street. The Odd Fellows Cemetery is mentioned in the notice of the lodge. The Mennonites have a cemetery of about two acres, which was laid out in 1869. The entrance is near the north end of Locust street. No other persons besides those belonging to the Mennonite church are buried in this cemetery. The old cemetery used by the citizens of Sterling was abandons years ago, and the remains have mostly been taken to other cemeteries.
Sterling Chapter No. 57 R.A.M. meets at Masonic Hall in the same building with Rock River Lodge, and holds regular convocations the second and fourth Wednesdays of each month. The first officers from among the charter members were: D. W. Thompson. H. P.; William McCune, King; . N.G. Reynolds, Scribe. The balance of the officers were filled at the time by companions from sister chapters. The present officers are: M. S. Bowman, H. P.; Henry S. Street, King; T. Y. Davis, Scribe; William A. McCune.Capt. of H.; L. Church, P. S.; R. Laurie, R. A. C.; J. B. Deyo, M. 3d V; William Murray, M. 2d V.; James M. Martin, M. 1st V.; George B. Kitel Treasurer; W. S. Peebles, Secretary; T. Fulton, Sentinel.
Sterling Christian Association was organized in the spring of 1873, its object being the promotion of Christian fraternity, union in evangelical labors, and the circulation of unexceptionable literature. The rooms of the Association are on Mulberry street, between Third and Fourth. Union prayer meetings have been held for most of the time since its organization. In the fall of 1873 the Association founded a free Reading Room, for the maintenance of which one thousand dollars were freely subscribed by the citizens at the start. The Reading Room was opened to the public on the first of January, 1874. The Sterling Library Association placed six hundred volumes of their books in the room, besides which several hundred volumes have been added by purchase and donation. The tables are also supplied with a large number of the best newspapers and magazines. The rooms are open from 8 A. M. to 9 p m. The officers of the Christian Association and the Reading Room are the same, and are as follows: Rev. J. T. Mason, President; M. H. Kreider, Vice President; W. F. Eastman, Secretary; R. B. Witmer, Treasurer; B. C. Church Librarian; Mrs. C. Bowman, Acting Librarian.
Sterling Lecture Association was organized in 1874, and had its first course of lectures and entertainments during the following winter. Each course has been largely attended, and proved of incalculable benefit. The best lecturers are secured, and although the expense is large, the citizens have promptly responded, thereby making the effort a financial success. Such an Association is worthy of any city or town. A. A. Terrell is the President Joseph M. Patterson, Treasurer; and H. B. Utley, Secretary.
Sterling Lodge No. 174, I.O.O.F. was instituted October 12, 1855, when the present city was even yet in its infancy, the charter members being, Miles S. Henry, Edward N. Kirk, Lorenzo Hapgood, George H Wells, Amos Tapscott, and Andrew McMoore. It has been a flourishing one from the start, the best of feeling always existing between its members. The Lodge room is over Stambaugh's paint store, opposite the Postoffice, on Mulberry street, and is elegantly fitted up and arranged. It is one of the wealthiest Lodges in Northwestern Illinois, having several thousand dollars in its treasury, besides owning one of the finest cemeteries in Rock River Valley. This cemetery comprises two acres of ground, on an elevated piece of land overlooking Rock river, and is beautifully laid out with gravelled walks and drives. Prominent among its monuments is that of Van J. Adams, one of Sterling's most valued citizens. The cemetery was first designed for members of the Order only, but its beauty attracted the attention of those not belonging to it, and it was finally decided to sell lots to all. The present officers are: E. V. H. Alexander, N. G.; C. E. Goshert, V. G.; Alfred Bayliss, R. S.; J. M. Roper, P. S.; W. A. Golder, Treasurer; Sidney T. Osmer, A. A. Terrell, Henry S. Street, Samuel Sigler, C. W. Harden, Trustees. In connection with the Lodge is Abraham Encampment, No. 49, instituted March 21, 1860, and Rebecca Degree Lodge No. 26, instituted July 28, 1870, both of which are in a prosperous condition.
Sterling Reading Room Association is a private incorporation, and was organized several years ago, its object being to furnish suitable accommodation for reading and library rooms, and also for recreation and amusement. The rooms are located in the second story of Hull and Ingersoll's corner of Third and A streets, and are finely and comfortably fitted up for the convenience of the members, and such friends as they choose to invite. Their reading tables are supplied with a large number of newspapers and magazines, and their book shelves with a choice variety of books. The officers are: Henry S.. Street, President; F. L. Ingersoll, Secretary; George B. Kitel, Treasuer. H.S. Street, Samuel C. Harvey, and William McCune, Trustees.
Sterling Reform Protection Club was organized in 1876, and is composed wholly of reformed men. Meetings are held every Tuesday evening at the Union Temperance Rooms, 441 Third street. M. B. Fitzgerald is President, and E. L. Champlin, Secretary.
Sterling Temperance Reform Club was organized February 21, 1875, after a series of meetings held by the celebrated temperance lecturer Francis Murphy. Five hundred and fifty names were enrolled at the time of the organization, and the number has been considerably increased since. The club holds its meetings in Robbin's Hall, in the rear of the First National Bank every Saturday evening. The officers are: E. L. Champlin, President; Win. Little, T. H. Mack, E. E. Hecker, Vice Presidents; S. B. Dill, Secretary; M. M. Warner, Treasurer; T. H. Mack, Corresponding Secretary.
Temple of Honor (Sterling), a temperance organization, was instituted in October, 1877. The present officers are: John Harpham, W. C. T.; Theodore H. Mack, W. V. T.; E. L. Champlin, W. R.; W. J. Burns, W. A. R.; Moses Werner, W. F. R.; E. E. Hecker, W. Treasurer; Albert Bushnell, W. Chaplain; M. Davis, W. U.; J. A. Rivers, W. D. U.; S. F. Champlin, W. G.; James Fitzgerald, W. S.; Trustees, C. E. Goshart, M. M. Warner, and M. Fitzgerald.
AGRICULTURAL SOCIETY - The Whiteside County Agricultural Society was organized at the village of Union Grove on the 26th of February 1856, the following gentlemen being elected its first officers: Robert L. Wilson, President; A.R. Hamilton, Vice-President; Dr. L.S. Pennington, Secretary; Luther Dodge, Treasurer. The annual Fairs of the Society were held at Morrison until the year 1863, when the grounds wer located at Sterling, where the Fairs have since been held. The grounds are situated on Rock River, a little southwest of the city of Sterling, are admirable adapted for the purpose. The officers of the Society for 1876-7 are Samuel J. Baird, President; M.S. Coe, Vice-President; C.M. Worthington, Secretary and J.W. Stewart, Treasurer. The Executive Committee are joseph M. Patterson, Sterling; W.H. Colcord, Genesee; L.E. Rice, Lyndon; G.b. Quigley, Prophetstown; George Davidson, Hopkins; Tyler McWhorter, Montmorency; J.C. Paddock, Hume; E. Underwood, Portland; J.M. Wallace, Sterling. The Fiars held by this Society are unequalled in the amount and variety of the exhibitions and are very largely attended.
Whiteside County Bible Society: This Society was organized at Lyndon in August, 1847, and was recognized by and became auxiliary to the American Bible Society in December of the same year. There had been a local organization at Lyndon, and perhaps elsewhere in the county, previous to that time, but no central society to combine the efforts of the friends of the cause, and to connect them with the parent society. In the summer of that year Rev. Geo. Stebbins, then pastor of the Presbyterian church at Sterling, was in New York, and chanced to say to Rev. Dr. Prime, editor of the New York Observer, that there was no Bible Society in Whiteside county, and the latter at once proposed to solicit a donation from the American Bible Society as a nucleus for an auxiliary. This was done, and a donation granted. The books were forwarded to Rev. Mr. Stebbins, and the society soon organized with Dr. A. Smith as its first President, Rev. Geo. Stebbins, Secretary and Deacon John Roy, Treasurer. This was the germ, but it proved a vigorous one as the subsequent growth has evinced. Few more efficient and prosperous societies are to be found, considering its resources, and the extent of territory embraced.
The Lyndon period of this society, embracing some sixteen years, seems to have been in a measure lost track of, so far as records are concerned. In 1864 the headquarters of the society were transferred to Morrison, and on the 23d of March of that year, its first annual meeting at that city, was held. The annual discourse was delivered by Rev. Mr. Webb, and the following officers elected for the next year: A. C. Jackson, President; O. Cowles, Vice President; Dr. W.L. Cole, Treasurer; F. C. Woodruff, Secretary, and W. M. Spears and Dr. A. Smith, Executive Committee. This meeting is specially noted as being the first one held after the removal of the society to its present center, and the first one at which full minutes were kept, and some of the incidents are well remembered by those who were in attendance. The total remittances of this auxiliary to the parent society up to the present year, have been $15,337.19, or about $500 a year since its organization. Of this amount $10,141,57 have been on account of books, and $5,193,62 as donations. Of the books obtained about $1,000 worth are on hand in the county and branch depositories, and about $7,500 worth have been put into circulation in the county, making an average of about $300 worth a year. There are about twenty branch Bible Societies in the county. The objects of the society are, to supply thoroughly, and keep supplied, the entire population of the county with the bible to see that not one family lives within the boundaries of the county, without the bible that can possibly be induced to take one; to see that all the youth and children have at least a testament; that all the institutions of correction and charity have the bible; that all the hotels be supplied with the bible so far as they wish it, and will aid in the work, and that the railroad, steamboat, and depots and waiting rooms be supplied with the bible. It also aims to do its part in supplying the world with the word of God. The present officers of the society are: James Snyder, President; F. B. Hubbard, Secretary, and Dr. S. S. Hall, Treasurer and Depositary.
CALEDONIAN CLUB - Many of the sons of Auld Scotia made their homes in Whiteside County some years ago, being attracted hither by its beauty, and the exceeding richness and fertility of its soil. Naturally they sought to become acquainted, and to revive in their new location the more important andinteresing of the anniversaries customs and games of their native land. The first meeting looking toward the formation of a society to carry out these purposes, was held at the Boynton House in Sterling, on the 24th of January, 1873, that being the one hundred and fourteenth anniversary of the birth of the plowman bard, Robert Burns. After duly celebrating the event so dear to the heart of every true Scotchman, a vote was taken to ascertain whether the Scotchmen settled in Whiteside county were ready and willing to organize a Caledonian Club. The sentiment was found to be unanimously in favor of such an organization, whereupon a constitution was adopted, and twenty-two attached their signatures to the document. The meeting for the election of the first officers of the Club was held in Morrison, on the 8th of March, 1873, and was organized by choosing John L. Brown, of Clyde, chairman, and James Laing, of Fenton, secretary. Upon a ballot being taken the following gentlemen were elected officers: Chieftain, Robert McNeil, of Coloma; Second Chieftain, James Lister, of Morrison; Third Chieftain, James Melville, of Ustick; Fourth Chieftain, James Laing, of Fenton; Finance Committee, Alexander Matthew, James Borland, and John Jones; Committee on Games, John Smith and John L. Brown. The two first meetings to celebrate the anniversary of the birth of Robert Burns were held in Sterling, and the last three in Morrison, and at each the attendance was gratifying, the bonnie lasses being largely represented, and the proceedings conducted in that spirit and enthusiasm so peculiar to the Scottish nature. At the second meeting at Sterlmg, Chief McNeil in an address stated the objects of the Club to be: First, the preservation of the ancient literature and customs of Scotland, and the enouragement and practice of her ancient games; Second, the establishment of a library and a gymnasium, and the employment of lecturers for the association; and Third, to foster charity which in its amount, character and mode of distribution, will be dependent upon the will of the majority of the association. These purposes have been faithfully carried into effect. Commencing with the year 1873 a:: ub has held an annual basket picnic immediately after harvest, at which, among other pleasing features, the ancient outdoor games of Scotland are practiced. These now rank among the most pleasant occasions of the year, and are largely attended by people of all nationalities.
The present officers of the Club are: Chieftain, Robert McNeil; Second Chieftain, Alexander Ritchie; Third Chieftain, James Melville; Fourth Chieftain, James Lister; Secretary, Benj. Matthew; Treasurer, Peter Durward; Librarian, Johnn Calderwood. The library consists of over one hundred volumes, many of which are choice Scottish works. It is kept at the store of John Calderwood in Morrison, and is open free of charge to the members of the Club and their families. Those not belonging to the Club who desire the use of books are charged a moderate price for the privilege.
CENTRAL AGRICULTURAL SOCIETY - This Society was organized on the 28th of May, 1872 at Morrison, the objects being to promote all the industrail pursuits of the county, and especially the agriculture, horticultural, floricultural and mechanical interests, and also the fine arts and domestic manufactures. The first officers elected were James M. Pratt, President; A.M. Teller, Vice-President; Frank Clendenin, Secretary; E.G. Topping, Treasurer. The executive committee consisted of LEvi Fuller, James Wilson, H.F. Kellum, Geo. W. Mackenzie, John F. Demmon, Delos J. Parker, M.M. Potter, James H. Marshall and Lucius H. Pratt. The first Fair was held at Morrison on the 24-27 of September 1872, and was a success. The grounds are admirably located, being well shaded, and upon the bank of Rock creek so that living water can be always at hand. THe present officers are James M. Pratt, President; Robert E. Logan, Vice-President; Edwin J. Congar, Secretary; Chas. Bent, Treasurer. M.M. Potter of Fenton, Lafayette Crandall of Erie, Moses Lathe of Lyndon, J.F. Demmon of Clyde, D.J. Parker of Garden Plain, Cephas Hurless of Genesee, A.M. Teller of Union Grove, D.F. Cole of Portland and P.B. Reynolds of Prophetstown are the executive committee. The Society is entirely out of debt and their last Fair held on the 4-7 of September of this years was very successful.
Whiteside County GRANGE - Whiteside was among the first counties in the State, or for that matter in the Union, to organize subordinate Granges of the Patrons of Husbandry. In no county was such interest taken in the Order, and in no county did subordinate Granges increase more rapidly. Nearly every township had its flourishing Grange, and several had two or three. In the year 1873, when these subordinate Granges had reached thirty in number, a County Grange was organized, called "The Whiteside County Grange." The requisite constitution and by-laws were passed, and stated meetings appointed to be held quarterly. Charles R. Rood, of Garden Plain, was elected its first Master, and L. E. Rice, of Lyndon, first Secretary. Its present officers are: Master, Robert E. Logan; Secretary, E. V. Lapham; Treasurer, Samuel Baird. The meetings are held regularly every quarter, either at Morrison, Sterling, or Lyndon. These Grange organizations from the National to the Subordinate have been widely influential for good, not only to the husbandman and producer, but to the people at large.
SPRING CREEK UNION AGRICULTURAL SOCIETY - This Society was organized in the summer of 1875, at Albany, the object being the same as the two other Agricultural Associations of the county. Unlike the others, however, it is a local society taking in the towns of Albany, Garden Plain and Newton, in Whiteside county, and some of the upper towns in Rock Island County. Under the constitution as adopted in 1875, the officers are a President, Vice President, Secretary, Treasurer, and Executive Committee of eight members, of which the President, Vice President, Secretary and Treasurer are ex officio members. The officers of the Society are Daniel Nicewonger President; P. J. Kennedy, Vice President; J. F. Happel, Secretary, and Warren Olds, Treasurer. The Executive Committee is composed of Chas. Parker, James H. Booth, E. H. Nevitt, Charles George, D. J. Parker, Rowland, E. R. Beckwith, and I. B. Williams. The Fairs are held at Booth's Grove, one mile south of Albany. As a local organization it has been eminently successful.
Whiteside County Sunday School Association
The first meeting to organize a Sunday School Association for the county of Whiteside, was held at Morrison on the 1st of December, 1864. Rev. G. Crissman was called to the chair, and a committee consisting of Revs. J. T. Mason, J. W. Cass, J. W. White and Mr. W. F. Peters, appointed to recommend officers for permanent organization, and order of the meeting. The committee afterward reported, recommending the following gentlemen for officers: President, W.D. Webb; Vice Presidents, Rev. W. A. Lipe, and Rev. J. W. Davidson; secretary J. R. Ashley; Treasurer, Dr. H. P. Roberts. The report was adopted. Reports were made by the schools represented at the meeting, when it was resolved to hold the meetings semi-annually, and a committee consisting of Revs. Mason J. W. Cass, W, D. Webb, and Messrs. Thomas A, Galt and J. R. Ashley was appointed a committee of arrangements for the same. In addition the Sunday School friends of the county, there were present at the meeting D. L. Moody, whose fame as a revivalist has since become world wide, and Mr. Harwood of Chicago, and W. F. Peters, Sunday School Agent. The presence of these gentlemen added much interest to the occasion. The County Association is auxiliary to the District Association, and the latter to the State Association, the object being to establish a complete and harmonious system of effort on behalf of the Sunday Schools throughout the State. The reports made by the representatives of the different schools in the county, at each of the meetings since the organization of this Association, show that a gratifying progress has been made in Sunday School work, and that to a considerable degree this progress is owing to the effect of systematic labor inaugurated by the system of Sunday School Associations. The last annual meeting of the Association was held at Sterling on the 7th and 8th of May, 1877. The following officers were then elected for the ensuing year: President, D. J. Jenne, of Sterling; Recording Secretary, Payson Trask, of Fulton; County Secretary, Dr. H. C. Donaldson, of Morrison; Township Secretaries, David Parkhill, Ustick, Thomas Gulliland, Clyde, S. H. Kingery, Sterling, James Snyder, Mt. Pleasant, G. F. Goodell, Union Grove, J. M. Fay, Fulton, P. J. Kennedy, Garden Plain, E. Olds, Albany, Wm. Mitchell, Newton, M. O. Hurless, Fenton, Chas. N. Westervelt, Lyndon, L. E. Matthews, Erie, L. E. Tuttle, Coloma, Rev. H. M. Corbett, Portland, Geo. B. Quigley, Prophetstown, E. A. Hovey, Tampico, Chas. Toby, Hopkins, A. S. Ferguson, Genesee.
ROCK RIVER MASONS LODGE 612 - This Lodge was instituted in 1868. The charter members being M. S. Bowman, George L. Kline, N. W. Brown, J. Tuller, R. Laurie, W. S. Peebles, Henry S. Street, J. W. Wallace, A. A. Terrell, Chas. M. Worthington, L. C. Johnson. The first officers were: M.S. Bowman, W. M.; George L. Kline, S. W.; N. W. Brown, J. W.; Andrew J. Tuller, Treasurer; R. Laurie, Secretary; W. S. Peebles, S. D. The Lodge held its communications for several years in the Boynton Block, where they had a nicely fitted Lodge room, but in time it became too small for the number of members and when Hull & Ingersoll put up their fine block on the northwest corner of Third and A streets, a more commodious room, together with others needed for the proper performance of the work, and regular Lodge business, were secured. The Lodge room is beautifully furnished with Brussels carpet, and elegant and appropriate furniture. It is also lighted with gas, the chandeliers being rich and heavy. In size and appointments it is equal to any in this section of the State. Regular communications are held on the first and third Fridays of each month. The following are the present officers of the Lodge: M.S. Bowman. W. M.; T. Y. Davis, S. W.; William A. McCune, J. W.; G. B. Treasurer; W.. S. Peebles, Secretary; C. F. Ward, S. D.; D. Gould, J. D.; J.W. Niles S. S.; H. W. Earle, J. S.; W. Murray, Tyler. [Bent & Wilson 1877 - History of Whiteside County]
Judge Ward Recalls Earliest Days of Rock River Masons
When Rock River lodge No., 612 holds its annual Past Masters night this evening, February 26, it will have as its highest honored guest, Judge H.C. Ward, nonogenarian and past master, who has been a member for 70 years and has occupied every chair in the Blue Lodge, the Chapter and the Commandery, The Masonic History of this venerable barrister and citizen is intriguing. About or soon after his maturity, Judge Ward became a Mason and has received and initiated in the lodge at his boyhood of Fairview, Belmont County Ohio. Soon after his graduation from school Mr. Ward came to Sterling. He attened the Blue lodge meeting that first night he was in this city. The lodge was holding its election and the young Ohioan was appointed senior deacon of the lodge. That was his initial activity in the lodge. He subsequently went through all the chairs and became the fourth worshipful master. The master of the when he transferred here from Ohio, Dec. 6, 1872, was M.S. Bowman, a Sterling clothier who was master for 13 years. He was followed by W.A. McCune, next was J.W. Niles and then came Mr. Ward. Up to date the lodge which was organized in 1868 has had ... past masters. The Rock River lodge had its hall in the old Boynton house at Fourth avenue and Third street now known as the Colonial Inn. Later years it was moved to what is now the Moose hall at Avenue A and Third street. Subsequently the lodge bought a building which stood on the site of the present Masonic temple. This building was destroyed by fire and few of its contents were saved. By a singular circumstance there were a few certain pieces belonging to the Blue lodge, the Chapter and the Commandery which were saved, and Judge Ward still possesses his Knight Templar sword which he rescued from the debris. All of the jewels of the Blue Lodge were saved, likewise the Ark of the Covenant from the Chapter and the banners of the Commandery. These banners had fallen flat on the floor and thus escaped destruction by the flames. For many years Judge Ward served in various chairs in all the divisions of Masonry. He attended at least two notable conclaves of the Knights Templar. One was at Boston MA., and one was in Chicago. He has visited the noted shrine of George Washington's Masonry at Alexandria VA and has seen all of his Masonic relics in the reliquary of the museum at Alexandria. In the cases he has viewed the jewels Washington wore, saw his gloves, his pen knife and other pocket possessions. Judge Ward visited the first Masonic lodge in Scotland at Edinburgh, Scotland in 1923. The building is on Hill street in Edinburgh. The attendance of Judge Ward at the Masonic meetings for the last few years have been but occasional, but he will be a patriarch at the past masters meeting Friday night. Other aged members who will be honored are Ira Plant, now of Pasadena CA, a member 58 years, Robert T. Hill and C.D. Randall, 53 years and John Hirschberg, 50 years. There are 32 living past masters of Rock River lodge. [Sterling Daily Gazette, Friday 26, February 1943 - Contributed by Sue Nesland]
Rock River Lodge to Celebrate 75th Anniversary
Rock River lodge, No. 612, A.F. & A.M. will celebrate its diamond jubilee Thursday Evening Oct. 5, 1869 with a 6:30 banquet. The speaker of the evening will be Karl Mohr, most worshipful past grand master. A booklet commemorating the anniversary is being issued as a souvenir of the occasion. White Rock lodge historically speaking, its only 75 years of age, the history of Masonry in Sterling starts June 24, 1856, when Sterling lodge No. 202 was organized in this city, the chapter members being Joseph Ward, E.G. Allen, Nathaniel G. Reynolds, D.R. Bushnell, William McCune, W.J. Hawthorne, Edward N. Kirk, Hiram Holmes and Manson Robbins, Edward N. Kirk, was elected worshipful master and the lodge enjoyed a splendid growth until Aug. 7, 1868 when it surrendered it charter. However a majority of the same men connected with lodge 202 immediately organized Rock River lodge 612, which was chartered by the grand lodge Oct. 5, 1869. The charter members were M.A. Bowman, George L. Kline, N.W. Brown, Andrew J. Tulley, Robert Lawrie, W.S. Peebles, Hervey S. Street, James W. Wallace, Ansell A. Terrell, Charles M. Worthington and L.C. Johnson. The first officers of the newly organized lodge were M.S. Bowman, W.M; George L. Kline, S.W., N.W. Brown, J.W.; Andrew J. Tuller, treasurer; Robert Lawrie, secretary; W.S. Peebles, S.D. The name of the junior deacon is not obtainable.
The first meeting was held in the Boynton block, now known as the Colonial hotel, where a lodge room was fitted up in an elaborate manner for that day and age. Eventually this room became too small and when Hull and Ingersol erected a new brick building at the corner of Third street and Avenue A. the second and third floors were immediately rented. This space is now occupied by the Loyal Order of Moose. At a meeting held June 25, 1886 with Judge Ward presiding a motion was made that a new hall be purchased. At the meeting held Aug. 6, 1886 it was voted to purchase what was then known as the Wallace Opera House. Officers in charge of the lodge at the time the purchase was made where H.C. Ward, W.M.; V.S. Ferguson, S.W. H.S. Street, J.W; D.B. Holtslander, secretary pro tem, W. McCune treasurer, Thorpe S.D. pro tem; John W. Niles, J.D. pro tem. A.A. Joss chaplain. The deed was signed July 10, 1886. The building occupied the site of the present structure and was one of the oldest buildings in Sterling. It was erected by Hugh Wallace and for many years was the leading theatre and opera house west of Chicago. Upon its stage many stars of a bygone day appeared from time to time and all of the mass meetings enjoyed by the citizens of Sterling and surrounding country during, and after, the Civil war, were held therein. The lodge put the building in shape and continued to occupy it until Dec. 30, 1898. The last meeting was held in the old hall Dec. 16, 1898, with the following officers in the chairs. R.G. Crawford, W.M.; F.H. Geyer, S.W.; T.W. Beckwith, J.W.' John W. Niles, secretary; John W. Platt, S.D. W.P. Benson, J.D. Robert T. Hill, tyler At this meeting officers were elected for the ensuing year as follows; Frank Anthony, W.M.; F.H. Geyer, S.W.; N.G. Van Sant, J.W.; John W. Niles, secretary; Elmer Crawford, treasurer; A.McCloy, T.S. McKinney and J.A. McCune, trustees.
The temple burned on Friday Morning Dec. 30, 1898, together with most of the records and papers, a part of which however were in a much damaged condition, including the Bible, which is still preserved among the archives, although badly seared and charred. The Sterling club, which occupied one floor, also lost practically all of its property as did Charles E. Windom, whose furniture store was on the ground floor. The fire was one of the worst in the history of Sterling, up to that time, it was a cold, bitter night. The Rock Falls fire department was called to the assistance of the Sterling department, but the high wind fanned the flames and the entire structure was wrecked. The masons were stunned by quickly decided that a new building would be erected, or the old one repaired. The Commandery held a meeting or two in the Odd Fellows hall and the Blue Lodge secured quarters with the Knights of the Globe on the top floor of the Academy of Music building, where an office was immediately opened and where meetings were held until the new building was ready.
G.W. Ashby of Riverside IL was secured as architect, the money speedily secured. Alexander McCloy named as trustee for the funds and T.P. Ruth was given the contract for the building, which was not completed however, until 1900.
F.H. Geyer, T.W. Beckwith and J.W. Platt were named as a committee for the dedication and W.S. McCloy, E.K. Jenkins, H.C. Ward, J.W. Niles and Judd Decker were names as the arrangement committee.
The temple was dedicated the evening of May 16, 1900, by Most Worshipful Grand Master Charles F. Hitchcock of Peoria, who conducted a grand lodge formed of the members of Rock River lodge as follows: G.W.M. Charles F. Hitchcock of Peoria; G.D.M.C.E. Grove of Mt. Carroll; S.G.W. E.K. Jenkins; J.G.W.H.C. Ward, grand orator, Caleb C. Johnson; grand chaplain H.L. Chaplin; pursuivant, H.S. Street; grand treasurer, G.W. Smith; grand secretary, J.E. Wheat; grand stewards, T.S. McKinney, C.L. Sheldon, J.W. Platt, D.L. Miller; SGD, Frank Anthony; JGD, W.S. McCloy; grand standard bearer Juddd Deckeer; grand sword bearer, A.K. Haberer; grand tyler, R.G. Crawford; bearer of the constitution, V.S. Ferguson; symbol bearers, E.W. Blossom, F.W. Wheeler, E.E. Brenneman, John R. Johnson.
A quartet composed of Hirshberg, Diller Kirk and Daveler sand. The building committee composed of A. H. Hershey, F.W. Wheeler and John R. Johnson announced the completion of the temple and Fred Mason acted as organist. An elaborate banquet was then served.
Nineteen members of the lodge are now in the service of their country. They are Russell H. Anderson, Raymond Colliins, William L. Hendricks, Dale O. Jennings, Oliver Kempaster, Paul J. Kleinschrodt, John L. McKenzie, Elvin C. Rock, George L. Roese, Loren F. Scheiler, Everett Small, George Wolber, Keith Rutt, Alan L. Davis, Albert F. Browne Jr., Charles M. Kitson, Wilbur Wetzel, Lyle P. Greetins and James Warren.
Six members of the lodge have been Masons over 50 years. They are H. Ward., L.K. Winn, Robert T. Hill, John Hirschberg, E.W. MacPherran and Charles L. Stecker.
Nineteen members have been Masons 40 years or more; They are W. Henson, J.G. Wetzel, Edw. Enslow, Wm. Gaif, H.E. Liewellyn, H.N. Geyer, Fred W. Honens, Fred Johnson, Frank A. Grimes, Jacob J. Ludens, Samuel H. Benner, Frank T. Brown, Ezra Mathew, Frank B. Kennedy, Fred H. Schmoeger, Clarence M. Frye, C.M. Waters, Karl A. Smith, P.L. Richtmyer. [Sterling Daily Gazette 2 October 1944 - Contributed by Sue Nesland]
Rock Falls Woman's Club
GOLDEN ANNIVERSARY MARKS HIGHLIGHT IN CLUB YEAR
[Daily Gazette Sterling, Rock Falls, April 12, 1961 Wednesday]
(Organized in 1911 and is a member of the state and district federation)
Contributed by Sue Nesland, Grandaughter of Mrs. Louise Gettle
Honored by Rock Falls Woman's Club at its January meeting were three members with the longest memberships.
Shown from left to right are: Mrs. William (Ethel) Heide, president; Mrs. Louise Gettle, a charter member;
Mrs. Lloyd (Dorla) Thome, a member since 1917 and Mrs. E.F. (Hazel) Viering, who joined the club in 1921.
Tuesday April 11, 1961 the 50th anniversary of the Rock Falls Woman's Club toward which the members have been working the past several months. Registering the 23 guests and 44 members were Mrs. Frank Seward, reception chairman and Mrs. Harold Wadsworth, co-chairman. From the 13th District guests were Mrs. Gerald Hough of Mt. Morris, president; Mrs. Donald Wetzell, Sterling, first vice president, Mrs. O.A. Hanke, Mt. Morris, corresponding secretary. Mrs. E. Bennyhoff, Dixon American citizenship chairman and Mrs. John Sumption, program bureau chairman. The county officers present were Mrs. William Harshman, Sterling, county president and Mrs. A.R. Cross, Sterling, county secretary. Guest presidents from other clubs were Mrs. William Barkman of Erie, Mrs. Jake Klockenga of Prophetstown and Mrs. Donald Wetzell of Sterling. The ladies who joined the Rock Falls Woman's Club ini 1911 were Mrs. James Sensenbaugh, Mrs. W. T. Stone, Mrs. Charles Gettle, Mrs. W.H. Kelsey, Mrs. Jacob Cantlin and Mrs. Glenn Beales. Mrs. Bensenbaugh has been an active member for the entire 50 years. Past presidents of the club present were Mrs. S.E. Wheelock, 1917-1918; Mrs. James Sensenbaugh, 1919-1920; Mrs. Claire Bean, 1921-1922; Mrs. E.A. Ashling, 1924-1925; Mrs. Lloyd Thome, 1925-1926; Mrs. G.J. Pohly, 1939-1941; Mrs. Peter F. Dietz, 1941-1942; Mrs. John Sumption, 1949-1951; Mrs. Frank Reichardt, 1953-1955 and Mrs. Frank Seward 1957-1959. Mrs. M.L. Skelton, Club president, extended a welcome to members and guests when she opened the meeting at 2 o'clock. Mrs. Orville Akerberg read the Club Collect which was followed with all repeating the Lord's Prayer, Soloist Mrs. Robert Long, sang My Heart At Thy Sweet Voice, acompanied by Mrs. Richard Harvey at the organ. The president announced that donations for Radio Free Europe were being taken, also green stamps are to be turned in to be used for acquiring blankets for the boys house at Lincoln Lodge, Books for East Moline State Hospital are to be gathered and taken there this week. Members are reminded of the all day 13th District convention at Warren on April 19, for which dinner reservations are to be sent immediately. On April 18 the Garden Club and the Home and Literature Department will have a breakfast at the home of Mrs. Ross Lennox at 9 a.m. The Woman's Club will hold a brunch and style show at the Rock Falls Congregational Church on May 2 for its regular May meeting. Guests were introduced by Mrs. Skelton, Mrs. Gerald Hough. 13th District president, brought greetings and congratulations from the district. She presented to the club the 50th anniversary scroll sent by the General Federation of Women's Clubs in Washington D.C. Mrs. hough also read a letter of congratulations from Mrs. George V. Malmgren of Chicago, president of the Illinois Federation of Women's Clubs. An impressive memorial service followed in remembrance of the deceased past presidents. Mrs. Leonard Schwab read a lovely poem entitled Our Purpose Beautiful as Mrs. Floyd Myers placed beautiful jonquils in green Tiffany baskets with palm leaves. The deceased presidents remembered were Mrs. Francis Andrews, Mrs. Mollie McMillen, Mrs. Elsina Geoffroy, Mrs. L.G. Limerick, Mrs. Frances K. Andrews, Mrs. Anna Jensen, Mrs. H.F. Daggett, Mrs. F.H. Geyer, Mrs. C.E. Pippert, Mrs. James Frank, Mrs. Ruth Shiffer and Mrs. E.O. Grosse. Mrs. Schwab concluded the memorial service with another appropriate poem. During the entire service Mrs. Harvey played soft strains of organ music. Charter members were next introduced. Two absent members, Miss Emma Swanson of California and Mrs. Harold Downey of Alton, sent greetings to the club which were read by Mrs. Elmer Leusby, corresponding secretary. There are 21 past presidents still living, ten of whom were present. Several of those present spoke of interesting events of their presidency. Golden roses in rose bowls decorated with golden napkins and gold ribbon bows wore presented to all past presidents. At the presentation Mrs. Robert Long sang Memories, with Mrs. Harvey at the organ. On the display table and bulletin board were many pictures taken years ago, from 1911 on to the present time. There were scrapbooks kept by the late Mrs. H.F. Daggett; a garden scrapbook kept by Mrs. Nettie Libby, first Garden Club chairman; books of the Corn Carnivals; programs of special events; spring luncheons, plays, etc. A pair of baby shoes worn in 1911 and a hand crocheted baby blanket from the same year were interesting exhibits. The anniversary program was in charge of Mrs. Leonard Schwab, program chairman. It was living portraits of "A women's Life 50 Years Ago". There was a large gold and white frame centering the stage with a green silk background. In this beautiful setting appeared the people who depicted the various stages in a woman's life. For each scene Mrs. M.L. Skelton had written a short poem and Mrs. Schwab read the poetry, while Mrs. Richard Harvey played appropriate music on the organ. First scene was a baby doll dressed in a baptismal gown of years ago, lying on a colorful afghan. Next came the little five year old Kristy Klocke dressed as a small girl of 50 years ago holding her small doll. Mrs. Donald Wilkins portrayed the eighth grade gill graduate and Mrs. James Prescott as the high school graduate was dressed ina beautiful white gown of 1911. The career girls came next, Mrs. Albert Jensen, Mrs. Bruce McDonald and Mrs. George Billeaux, portraying the secretary, teacher and nurse. The lovely bride of the era was portrayed by Mrs. Arthur Deem followed by the mother, Mrs. Albert Klocke and her own daughter Kristy and the lovely baby doll. This beautiful picture depicted the young mother. Concluding the program was the picture "The Club Woman" portrayed by Mrs. Rollin DeSmith. The poem was "The Club Woman", the closing verse of which read "Fifty Years Have Gone past; and will not come again; but memories will linger on; the future holds promise of great things to come; the Club Woman's work is never done. Tea was served from a most beautifully decorated tea table covered with a white linen cloth centered with a large gold 50, across front and ends of which was looped a gold rope. At either end was a gold coffee and tea service on golden trays. A lovely arrangements of jonquils with sprays of white apple blossoms and several butterflies among the flowers entered the table. Cakes decorated with jonquils and white and gold mints were served. White napkins were inscribed with the words, Rock Falls Woman's Club and the years 1911 - 1961. Pouring were Mrs. Lorenzo Wescott and Mrs. John Sumption. Club women served on the refreshment committee were Mrs. George Billeaux, chairman, Mrs. G.L. Dace, Mrs. Peter F. Dietz, Mrs. Mervin McNinch, Mrs. Harold Wadsworth, Mrs. Donald Wilkins, Mrs. Clyde Brant, Mrs. Peter Kaup, Mrs. Robert Folkers and Mrs. H.M. Jacobs.
THE BROWNING CLUB
Grow old along with me! The best is yet to be, The last of life for which the first was made. Rabbi Ben Ezra.
The Browning club celebrated the tenth anniversary of its organization at the home of O. E. Maxson, Tuesday, Jan. 8, 1908. The house was beautifully decorated with festoons of club colors, purple and gold.
The club was organized January 7, 1898, at the home of Mrs. A. J. McNeil with Mrs. McNeil president, Mrs. Robert McNeil vice-president, Mrs. C. C. Woodworth secretary and Miss Mary Geyer treasurer. The membership was limited to twenty. The object was the study of Browning and other poets. Of recent years the membership limit has been placd at thirty. About twenty of the charter members are still members, and during the ten years over sixty ladies have availed themselves of this opportunity to study the poets. The club is essentially a study class and in the past ten years has studied the Brownings, Scott, Tennyson, Homer, Emerson, Lowell and Shakespeare. Over four hundred study classes have been held besides the evening meetings for gentlemen and afternoon socials.
On the occasion of this anniversary the members and their guests to the number of fifty assembled at 1 o'clock when an elaborate four course luncheon was served. Several of the young lady daughters of the members assisted. Each guest received a beautiful souvenir in the shape of a folder prettily decorated and containing a striking photograph of the esteemed leader, Miss Gould, and the names of the present members. This was a surprise to the leader and shows the love and reverence in which she is held by those who have been helped and cheered by her close companionship during these ten years while she has given so freely of herself to meet their varied needs.
After luncheon the president, Mrs. Mae Smith, called the meeting to order and. in a neat speech offered a toast to "The Brownings may their shadows never grow less and may they live to celebrate their one hundredth birthday." Miss Farena Hubbard opened the program with a difficult selection on the piano. Miss Gould read one of her scholary papers entitled "Lit- erature; its place in Civilization." Under the general title "People Whom We Have Met," the following characters were discussed :
"Aurora Leigh," Mrs. Charles Hubbard.
"Romney Leigh," Mrs. A. S. Goodell.
"Caponsacchi," Mrs. William Wells.
"Ulysses," Mrs. Charles Geeting.
"Penelope," Mrs. Frank Anthony.
"A Winter's Tale," Miss Lizzie Coe.
Miss Elizabeth Emmons read a very brief and witty history of the club.
Miss Clara McCune sang several beautiful selections. She was accompanied by Miss Emma Sheldon.
These circles in which ladies meet to discuss literary subjects and at the same time enjoy social recreation cannot be too highly commended. Afternoons at cards leave no valuable thoughts to occupy the mind, and waste time that should be more profitably employed. The name, too, is full of inspiration. None of the nineteenth century poets have done more to ennoble and sweeten the thought of the world than have the Brownings, Robert and Elizabeth Barrett. [Contributed by Christine Walters from History of Whiteside County, 1908, by W. Davis]
Father Bennett Temperance Society
Contributed by: Mary Vickers
During the winter of 1893 Rev. J.L. Bennett, of the St. Patrick's Church, first broached the subject of organizaing a temperance society for the benefit of the members of the Catholic Church in order to make a strong and united effort to check the spread of the soul destroying vice of liquor-drinking, and with a view to promote brotherly love and friendship among those of the Catholic denomination. The idea was a most happy one, and on January 14, 1894, the Fathe Mathew Temperance Society was organized with seventeen charter members. The first officers of this organization were E.F. Rourk, President, L.J. Green, Vice-President; M.A. Williams, Financial Secretary; A.J. Frank, Recording Secretary; Dennis O'Hair, Treasurer; Rev. J.J. Bennett, Spiritual Director.
On February 14, 1894, by a unanimous vote of the society,the name was changed to "Father Bennett Total Abstinance Society." At that time the subject of establishing permanent club rooms was talked of for the purpose of giving the members social and literary recreation and entertainment of he proper kind, and on the 4th of March, 1894, the club room was established and on the 10th of October, 1894, those rooms, situated in the Academy Block, over the post office, were formally dedicated in honor of Father Mathew, with a membership of seventy persons. On the 12th of August 1894, a new constitution was adopted and the name of the organization changed to "Father Bennett's Temperance Society Club," and on September 3, 1895, the Society was incorporated under the laws of the State. The Club members at about this time were able to secure Father Hagan, one of America's greates temperance orators, to give a lecture under their auspices, and on November 15, 1895, that gentleman spoke to a crowded house at the Academy of Music. On the 1st of January, 1896, the C.T.A.U. of Illinois and C.T.A.U. of America, were amalgamated, which made the F.B.T.A.S. a branch organization of the bodies. The club rooms now occupied by the club having become too small for the increased membership, the old I.O.O.F. rooms in the Academy of Music Block, were secured, and the Club moved in its new quarters February 13, 1896. The present quarters are exceedingly pleasant, being supplied with everything for pleasant and innocent recreation, and plenty of good reading matter.
Last May the society sent a delegation to the meeting of the C.T.A.U. of Illinois, instructed to use all honorable means to bring the next State meeting to this city. The delegation was successful, and it is with a great deal of pleasure and satisfaction, that not only the Father Bennett Total Abstinence Society, but the citizens of Sterling in general, welcome the members of the State body in convention today.
The present officers of the Society are M.C. Ward, President; E. McGinn, Vice-President; M.C. Williams, Financial Secretary; J.H. Schmitz, Recording Secretary; E.F. Rourk, Treasurer; Rev. J.J. Bennett, Spiritual Director; Rev. Father Fegers, Rev. J.J. Bennett, James McGinnis, Peter O'Hair, E.B. Daly, honorary members; M.C. Ward, J.M. Gallagher, M.C. Williams, F.B. Daly, A.M. Clavin, J.H. Schultz and W.D. Tyne, Incorporators
BACK -- HOME
© Copyright Genealogy Trails