Mount Carmel Home - Clyde Township
Ten miles northeast of Morrison, in Clyde township, is situated the only private charity in Whiteside. This is Mt. Carmel Faith Missionary Training Home and Orphanage. It is undenominational, and depends upon the promises of God and prayer of faith to supply its needs. Very much in the spirit of Spurgeon's Orphanage in London, Francke's institution at Halle, or George Muller's at Bristol, England. There are forty acres in the property deeded by the generosity of Mr. and Mrs. A. G. Zook. There are several houses for the school proper, besides the buildings for farm purposes. Two wells and some unfailing springs afford an abundant supply of water.
A simple narrative explains the origin of the work. While engaged at the wood pile in 1899, God met Mr. Zook, definitely calling him to yield his property and himself for service. A new move, but the assurance was clear that it was to be a training home for Christian workers. It was soon learned that the earnest laborers in Chicago in this field were overrun with neglected and homeless children. They were praying for relief, and here was their opportunity. On March 1, 1900, the home was opened. The first child was received April 6. In August, 1901, a new step was taken by faith, the editing of a paper. Its name, Soul Food, is significant of its purpose.
From time to time children were brought into the orphanage from Chicago and from surrounding towns. The object of the work is not to put children into private homes, but to provide proper care and training in the orphanage, and bring up the neglected children in ways that will make them useful Christian men and women. Only children will be accepted who will be allowed to remain till they are eighteen, so that parents may not reclaim them before they are firmly established in right principles. There are three features in the discipline of the young people: the day school, religious instruction, and industrial training. Each day is begun with an hour of worship.
All are expected to take part in the affairs of the establishment. The boys do the chores, cut the wood, help about the field and garden. Each has a small garden spot to exercise his taste and ability. The girls assist in the household and in the care of the younger children. Good health has been a blessing vouchsafed to the little family. The laws of proper living are observed. The nervous and debilitated children from the city with country air and diet and exercise soon gain appetite, digestion, clear skins and bright eyes.
But more room is an imperative necessity, or the work cannot enlarge. More children cannot be taken because there is no place to receive them. In 1904, the last report, the family consisted of thirty children ranging from two months to fifteen years, all well and active. There are five workers. Very soon a Missionary Training Home is expected to be an active department. There are constant calls for men and "women qualified for evangelistic work, to carry the gospel to darkened minds at home and abroad. The printing press is proving an important factor in the preparation of gospel workers. While setting type the boys are gathering a fund of useful information. A while the farm had been rented but now an overseer in charge provides employment for the lads, and thus an income is secured from the land.
From a booklet of By-laws we glean several items of interest. No salaries are paid to any worker. There must be simplicity of dress. Purity and temperance are demanded in all things. All workers are encouraged to make special study of the Bible, and to spend much time in secret prayer. Punctuality must be observed in rising and retiring, and in attendance at the table. There are only four articles in the simple confession of faith, and this is the second: We believe in a definite work of sanctification by grace, cleansing the heart from all sin, and making the body the temple of the Holy Ghost.
To set forth the needs of the home and the spirit of the institution, a small, three-column paper of four pages is published monthly at Morrison, with A. G. Zook as editor, and A. Myrtle Zook and May L. Donaldson, associate editors. The subscription price is low, and two hundred more patrons are needed to make the journal self-supporting. "Soul Food" is the suggestive title of the paper. No secular topics are discussed, the whole aim being to encourage faith and pious meditation. ... [Source: History Whiteside County IL. From Its Earliest Settlement to 1908 By William W. Davis M.A. The Pioneer Publishing Co. ; Transcribed by Christine Walters ]
Mt. Carmel Orphanage
Clyde twp, Whiteside Co, IL
Mount Carmel Home was founded as a country home for children in 1900 by the Brethren in Christ Church. It was located on the northeast quarter of the northwest quarter of section 10. Originally it was a 40 acre farm with a 13 room house on it; it was owned by the Rev. and Mrs. Abraham (Abram) G. Zook.
On March 1, 1900, the home was dedicated. The first orphan arrived in April from Chicago, to be followed by 11 more from the same city. The official name of the institution was Mount Carmel Faith Missionary Training Home and Orphanage but it was commonly called Faith Home for many years. The name was shortened to Mount Carmel Home and it was taken over as a project by the Brethren in Christ Conference in 1912. Dedicated workers labored hard for its success.
The first worker to join Mr. and Mrs. Zook at the orphanage was Miss May L Donaldson. She was a teacher at the Franklin School during the term 1899-1900 and remained for the dedication of the home. The meeting lasted for several days in a tent across from the newly-opened refuge. Diphtheria broke out and a quarantine was imposed; it lasted for several weeks. Miss Donaldson remained to help care for the children. The first year was made more difficult by the epidemic. One of the children in the home died, as did a daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Zook.
There were sensational and unfriendly stories printed in metropolitan newspapers, which alleged improper care and lack of the bare necessities. When the motives of the workers became better understood, there was general support for the home. Many donations from outside sources were made through the years. The primitive facilities which were common to country living at the turn of the century were improved and the home was enlarged. A cement-block school-house was built south of the home in 1915 and was used by the children until 1940.
Starting July 27, 1901, the home published a small newspaper. It was called Soul Food until July 27, 1912, when the name was changed to Mount Carmel Tidings." [Source: History of Whiteside County - Wayne Bastian Pg 165 (pub. 1968)]
1900 Census Enumeration
Whiteside County, Clyde Township
SD 4, ED 139, Sheets 4A-4B; Images 7-8 of 19
1 Zook, Abram B Super M Sep 1853 46 M 19 Penn Penn Penn Super Y Y Y
2 Zook, Rosa A Wife F Apr 1882 47 M 19 7 4 Ill Penn Penn Y Y Y
3 Zook, Anna M Daughter F Apr 1892 18 S Ill Penn Penn Y Y Y
4 Zook, Samuel A Son M Sep 18?? 11 S Ill Penn Penn At School 4 Y Y Y
5 Zook, __neda* Daughter F Jul 18?? 7 S Ill Penn Penn At School
6 ? Daughter F ? S Ill Penn Penn
7 ? F Ill Engl Irel
9 Beeson, Jonathan H Inmate M Aug 1856 43 M 7 Wis N. Car Ind Y Y Y
10 Beeson, Susie E Inmate F May 1867 33 M 7 1 1 Penn Penn Mass Y Y Y
11 Beeson, Joseph E Inmate M Nov 1893 6 S Kan Wis Penn
12 Boubaker, Benjamin Inmate M Sep 1849 50 M 27 Penn Penn Penn Y Y Y
13 Boubaker, Elizabeth Inmate F Dec 1850 49 M 27 1 1 Penn Germ Penn Y Y Y
14 Boubaker, Lora Inmate F Jan 1892 8 S Ill Penn Penn
15 Price, Edward G Inmate M Jan 1892 8 S Ill Unknown Unknown
16 Price, Laura A Inmate F Jan 1894 6 S Ill Unknown Unknown
17 Price, William A Inmate M Sep 1895 4 S Ill Unknown Unknown
18 Price, Edna Inmate F Nov 1897 2 S Ill Unknown Unknown
19 Price, _o_ne E Inmate F Nov 1899 6mo S Ill Unknown Unknown
20 Holmes, William H Visitor M Jan 1850 50 M 19 Ohio Ohio Ohio Y Y Y
21 McCulloh, William E Inmate M Oct 1866 33 M 5 Penn Penn Penn Y Y Y
22 McCulloh, Marian Inmate F Nov 1877 22 M 5 4 3 Ill Ohio Penn Y Y Y
23 McCulloh, Anna M Inmate F Dec 1896 3 S Ill Penn Ill
24 McCulloh, William P Inmate M Jul 1898 1 S Ill Penn Ill
25 McCulloh, Rhoda M Inmate F May 1900 1mo S Ill Penn Ill
26 McCulloh, Archie S Inmate M Dec 1892 7 S Ill Penn Penn At School 9
27 Wise, Samuel Inmate M Jan 1817 82 M 12 Penn Penn Penn Y Y Y
28 Wise, Hannah C Inmate F Apr 1834 66 M 12 12 9 Penn Penn Penn Y Y Y
29 George, Jacob H Inmate M Oct 1867 32 M 5 Ill Penn Penn Y Y Y
30 George, Anna __ F Jun 1869 30 M 5 2 0 Penn Penn Penn N.Y * Y Y Y
31 Donaldson, May L Teacher F May 1874 26 S Iowa Ill Ill Teacher Y Y Y
32 Goldring, Edmund F Inmate M Mar 1898 2 S Ill Unknown Unknown
33 Collar, Walter C Inmate M Mar 1900 2mo S Ill Unknown Unknown
Index to 1910 Census - Name / Age
Abram Zook 55
Mrs. Katie Bollinger 36
Mac Donaldson 17
Magaret Christy 17
Mary Leanesne 16
Stanley Flynn 16
John Pocock 15
Aias Bollinger 15
Clyde Bigbee 15
Ruth Lequesne 14
Elizabeth Riley 14
Bessie Mosser 12
Reuben Bigbee 12
Helen Houston 12
Alma Bollinger 12
Arron Cummings 12
Edmond Goldring 12
Ambrose Flynn 12
Esther Lesesne 11
Dorothy Houston 11
Lydia Riley 11
Katie Aiken 11
Esther Mosser 10
Madalene Flynn 9
Levi Cummings 9
Annie Aiken 9
Florence Houston 8
Morris Flynn 7
Marion Flynn 7
Willie Houston 6
BACK -- HOME
© Copyright Genealogy Trails