East Coloma School
Class of 1908
Rock Falls Grade School
Contributed by Sue Nesland
f-r - Larry Ufkin, Mary Battles, ? , Sue Gettle (tall one), Lola Gettle, Jean Shiffer, Ethel Humphrey
Riverdale School was first located not far from the east bank of Rock River, facing what is now US Hwy. Route 30. How many years the school was located there cannot be determined, but it was moved to its present site, the corner of Prophetstown Road and Mitchell Street, where the original building is still in use.
It is thought the first teacher of the school was Emma Sturtevant. her nephew, John Sturtevant, who now lives in Rock Falls, remembers enrolling at Riverdale as a first grade pupil in the year 1889. The available records show the members of the first graduating class, that of 1898, to be John Sturtevant, Nellie McGinn and Cora Jurgens.
Two teachers who taught at Riverdale years ago are living in this area. Theya re Effie Chapin Gaulrapp, who was the teacher during the 1910-11 school year and Mrs. Beulah Allen who taught for 15 years, 1928-1942.
Riverdale remained a one room school until 1948. At that time another frame building was moved to the site and attached to the original building. During the seven years period from 1949-1956, the records show an increase in enrollment from seven to 77.
In 1957 three more classrooms were added. In 1960, two more room and all purpose room were constructed and in 1965, three more classrooms were built. At the present time the school employs nine full time teachers and the enrollment is 195. [From the Daily Gazette July 25, 1967]
BACK -- HOME
© Copyright Genealogy Trails