logo


Churches & Pastors from 1859 Directory
Will Co., Illinois

Transcribed by ©Donna Walton for Genealogy Trails, Aug. 2006


Joliet City

WILL COUNTY

CHURCHES

FIRST BAPTIST CHURCH
On Broadway
Organized and house built 1858. Public Services 10 ½ A.M. and 7 P.M. This Society are now erecting a new Stone Church, on the corner of Scott and Van Buren streets, 75 feet by 50 feet. Rev. Edward Savage, acting Pastor.

FIRST CONGREGATIONAL CHURCH
Cor. Of Ottawa and Van Buren Sts.
Organized 1844. House built in 1858. Number of Members 170. Public Service 10 ½ A.M. and 2 ½ P.M. Rev. John Kidd, Pastor. G.H. Woodruff, Superintendent of S. School.

EPISCOPAL (CHRIST CHURCH)
Cor. Joliet and Van Buren Sts
Organized 1838. House built 1857. Number of members 50. Hours of Service 10 ½ A.M. and 8 P.M. Rev. J.D.C. Locke, Rector.

METHODIST EPISCOPAL CHURCH
Cor. Ottawa and Clinton Sts.
Organized 1834. House built 1852. Number of Members 203. Hours of Service 10 ½ A.M. and 7 P.M. Rev. Wm. B. Slaughter, Pastor. M. Worthingman, Superintendent S. School.

FRIST UNIVERSALIST CHURCH
Cor. Of Clinton and Chicago Strs.
Organized 1836. House built 1858. Number of Members 78. Hours of Service 10 ½ A.M. and 7 P.M. Rev. H.R. Walworth, Pastor. Calvin Knowlton, Superintendent S. School.

GERMAN EVANGELICAL CHURCH
Clinton St. near Chicago St.
Hours of Service 10 ½ A.M. and 7 P.M. Members 15. Preaching every other Sabbath, by the Circuit Minister, Rev. ___ Dickover.

GERMAN LUTHERAN CHURCH
Broadway, near Cross
House built in 1850. Services 10 ½ A.M. and 7 P.M. Rev. ____ Buchard,

UNITED GERMAN PROTESTAN CHURCH
Broadway, near Spring
Organized 1857. House built 1858. Number of Members 70. Hours of Service 10 ½ A.M. and 2 ½ P.M. Rev. Gustavus Bochert, Pastor.

ROMAN CATHOLIC CHURCH
Cor Broadway and Exchange Sts.
House built 1843. Hours of Service 10 ½ A.M. and 8 P.M. and every morning at 7 o'clock. 600 Members. Resident Pastor, Rev. P. Farrally.

GERMAN ROMAN CATHOLIC CHURCH
Cor. Of Hicory and Division Sts.
House built 1852. Hours of Service 8 and 10 A.M. and 2 ½ P.M. 180 Members. Rev. Joseph Ranch, Pastor.



Lockport

WILL COUNTY

CHURCHES


BAPTIST CHURCH
Public service 10 ½ A.M. and 7 P.M. Sunday School 2 P.M. Rev. S.W. Lind, Pastor

CONGREGATIONAL CHURCH
House built 1888. Services 10 ½ A.M. and 7 P.M. Sunday School 2 P.M. Rev. George Schlosser, Pastor

ST. JOHN'S EPISCOPAL CHURCH
Organized and house built 1845. Services 10 ½ A.M. and 8 P.M. Sunday School 1 P.M. Rev. Samuel Cowell, Rector.

METHODIST EPISCOPAL CHURCH
Organized 1839; new house built 1856. Public services 10 ½ A.M. and 7 P.M. Sunday school 2 P.M. Rev. M. Adams, Pastor.

ROMAN CATHOLIC CHURCH
Public services and Mass 8 and 10 ½ A.M.; Vespers 8 P.M.; Sunday School 2 P.M. Rev. Michael Hurley, Priest.

UNITARIAN CHURCH
Organized and house built 1857. Services 10 ½ and 7 ½ P. M. ; Sunday School 12 noon. No pastor at present.



Willmington

CHURCHES


EPISCOPAL CHURCH
Kankakee Street.
Organized and house built 1858. Service 10 ½ A.M. S. School 2 P.M. Rev. Charles B. Stout, Rector.

METHODIST EPISCOPAL CHURCH
Kankakee Street
Organized 1838. A new Church in room of the old one has recently been erected of stone, 1853, at a cost of $7,000; the handsomest church edifice in the town. Members about 120. Services 10 ½ A.M. and 7 P.M. Rev. Wm. Keegan, Pastor.

PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH
Kankakee Street.
Organized 1838. House built 1853. Members 100. Services 10 ½ A.M. and 7 P.M. S. School 2 P.M. Rev. J.G. Porter, Pastor, J.H. Daniels Supt. Of S.S.

ROMAN CATHOLIC CHURCH
Water Street
Organized 1844, house built 1853. Mass 8 and 10 ½ A.M., in summer 8 ½ and 11 A.M. in winter. Catechism class 2 P.M. Catholic population of Wilmington and district, connected with this Church, 1,125. Rev. John Ingoldsby, Pastor.

SCHOOLS

One Union Public School divided into three departments; pupils about 200. Miss Cummings, Principal, with three Assistant Teachers.
One Select School by Mrs. Julia Titus. Number of pupils about 80, this is reported to be an excellent school.



Plainfield

CHURCHES

CONGREGATIONAL CHURCH.
Organized March 14th, 1834. No. members when organized, 9. First Pastor, Rev. Mr. Greenwood; church built in 1850. Present membership 160; hours of service 10 ½ A.M. and 1 P.M. Rev. W.L. Webb, Pastor.

METHODIST EPISCOPAL CHURCH
Organized June 1881. Number of members when organized 21. First Pastor Rev. Jessie Walker. First church built A.D. 1836; present house of worship built 1849. Present membership 280. Hours of sevice 10 ½ and 6 ½ P.M. Rev. R. Beatty, Pastor.

BAPTIST CHURCH
Organized in 1834. Number of members when organized 5. First Pastor Rev. J.E. Ambrose. First house built 1836; new 1857. Present number of members 105. Hours of service 10 ½ and 6 ½. Rev. A.B. Freeman, Pastor.

EVANGELICAL ASSOCIATION
Organized 1847. Number of members when organized 6. First Pastor Christian Hull. Church built in 1855. Present membership 120. Hours of sevice 10 and 7. Rev. Samuel Dickover, Pastor.

I.O. OF GOOD TEMPLARS
Plainfield Lodge No. 96, meets every Tuesday evening.

POST OFFICE
Mails from East arrive at 1 P.M.; depart at 8 P.M. ; close at 7 ½.
Mails from West arrive at 11 A.M.; depart at 2 P.M.; close at 10 ½
Revenue for the year ending June 30, 1858, $701,06. Paid P.G. Government $847 62.



Back to the Index Page