Genealogy Trails History Group

Biographies of
Will County Residents

Abbott, George, proprietor of the New England Restaurant, Joliet was born in Keene, N.H.., Dec.1, 1829; there he resided until 1853, when he went to Missouri, and remained two years, returning to Keene. He shortly afterward came to Illinois, and after spending one year in Rockford, settled in Joliet, in October, 1857; in 1858, he engaged in the restaurant business, keeping the Rock Island Railroad Restaurant for eight years. He is the oldest restaurant man in the city; in March, 1866, he started the New England Restaurant. He was married in February, 1855, to Miss Eunice A. Foster, of Keene, N. H., who died in June, 1861. He was married again on the 12th of December, 1866, to Miss Abbie A. Cutting, of Joliet; they have six children---Isabel, John M., Lawrence D., George, Lulu M. and Lydia Belle. [Source: "The History of Will County, Illinois: Containing a History of the County ..." By George H. Woodruff, H. H. Hill, 1878]

Abbott, John C.
Was born Jan. 20th, 1841, in Lockport, Will county, Illinois, and reared on a farm.  He received his education at Batavia and Joliet in the state of his nativity, and at the college in Hillsdale, Michigan, graduating from that institution.  On Nov. 26th, 1862, he was joined in marriage with Emily Wright at Morris, Illinois.  Mrs. Abbott was born Aug. 27th, 1840.  She was educated in the public schools, completing her studies at Northwestern college.  Two sons and a daughter were born of the union, but only the sons, Frank D. and Albert D., are living, the daughter dying at the age of three years.  For eight years after the marriage of Mr. and Mrs. Abbott he carried on his father's farm in Will county, Illinois, and in 1870 he came to Colorado with the Union colony of Greeley, his family following him three months later.  The family remained in Greeley until 1872, when he located on a tract of wild land in Larimer county, bordering the line between Larimer and Weld counties.  This he improved and converted into a valuable farm, on which he lived until 1881, when he moved his family to Fort Collins, where it has since resided.  Mr. Abbott early began to take an active part in the development of the agricultural resources of the Cache la Poudre valley, and was particularly interested in the promotion and construction of irrigating canals and ditches.  In company with Benjamin H. Eaton, who later become governor of Colorado, they built the Lake canal ditch, the Larimer county No. 2 canal, and was associate contractor in the construction of the Pleasant Valley & Lake canal in 1879-80.  All of these were Larimer county enterprises.  After moving to Fort Collins Mr. Abbott engaged in the mercantile business with Charles W. Ramer, their store standing on the ground now occupied by the First National bank building.  He remained thus engaged until he was elected Auditor of State in November, 1882, moving soon afterwards to Denver to enter upon his official duties.  After completing the two years' term as State Auditor, he moved his family back to Fort Collins and engaged in the real estate, insurance and loan business.  For several years before his death, which occurred on Jan. 22nd, 1909, Mr. Abbott suffered from creeping paralysis, which unfitted him for active business pursuits of any kind, and he was, perforce, compelled to retire.  Until stricken with the disease which finally resulted in his death, he was one of the most active of men and a broad-minded, whole-souled, genial gentleman.  He was optimistic regarding the future of the Cache la Poudre valley, and in the pioneer days predicted what has since come to pass respecting the growth and importance of his chosen home, and was himself a prominent factor in promoting and aiding in its upbuilding.  He was one of the pioneer farmers and businessmen of the Cache la Poudre valley, and did his part and did it well, too, to subdue the wilderness and make it what it is today.  His widow and two sons are still living, the eldest, Frank D Abbott, being a member of the Fort Collins Abstract company.  Previous to his connection with that company he had served the county two terms, or four years, as County Clerk and Recorder, and was also a deputy in that office for four years.  The other son, Albert D. Abbott, is engaged in the real estate, loan and insurance business.  Mrs. Abbott, widow of our subject, is a lady of fine literary attainments and has been a welcome contributor to the local press for many years.  She is now past three-score and ten, and is only waiting for the summons to join her companion on the other side. [Source: "History of Larimer County, Colorado" by Ansel Watrous (1911), tr. by M. Saggio]

Ackerman, Schuyler
SCHUYLER ACKERMAN, farmer; P.O. Wilmington; was born in Passaic Co., N.J., May 4, 1834, and is the son of John V.W. and Helen Ackerman, of New Jersey;  his father was a farmer, died in 1859, 56 years old; his mother died in 1878, 74 years old; Mr. Ackerman was raised on his father's farm; in 1857, with his brother Henry, they emigrated West to Illinois and settled in Wesley Tp.; here he has remained ever since, engaged in farming. His brother, James E., was in the late war; participated in some of the prominent battles. Mr. Ackerman is a republican in politics. Held several offices of trust in Wesley Tp.; is Township Treasurer, which office he has filled for the last three years. Married in January, 1867, to Miss Abbie C. Carpenter; born Feb. 26, 1840; daughter of Charles Carpenter of New York; born March 4, 1808. Was an early settler of Will Co.; have one child - Annie Elizabeth. Mr. Ackerman is a member of the M.E. Church. [Source: "The History of Will County, Illinois..." Wm. LeBaron, Jr., & Co., 1878. Transcribed by Kim Mohler.]

Adam, W.J.
Secretary of the Adam Manufacturing Co., Joliet; is a native of Joliet; he was born Sept. 18, 1851. He is a son of William Adam, who came to Joliet in 1849, and has been a prominent business man here ever since. Mr. Adam was educated in the public schools of Joliet, and at Jennings Seminary in Aurora, Ill., graduating from the scientific department of the latter institution in 1870; the following year, he entered the employ of Adam & Wilcox, and two years later became a member and the managing partner of the firm of William Adam & Co. While in the milling business, he served two years as Vice President of the Illinois State Millers' Association, and was also a Delegate to the National Millers' Association three successive years. He was a member of the first Board of Directors of the National Millers' Insurance Company. On Jan. 22, 1877, their mill burned down, and soon afterward the Adam Manufacturing Company was formed, and Mr. Adam became Secretary and Business Manager, which position he now holds. [Source: "The History of Will County, Illinois: Containing a History of the County ..." By George H. Woodruff, H. H. Hill, 1878]

Adams, P.H.
P.H. ADAMS, farmer; P.O. Crete; is one of the old settlers of Will Co.; was born in Rutland, Mass., Dec. 17, 1804, and is the son of Rubin Adams, of Massachusetts, a blacksmith by trade; when he was very young, with his parents, moved to Massachusetts, thence to New Hampshire, from there to Vermont. Mr. Adams, when he was about 23 years of age, learned the carriage-making trade. While he was in Vermont, he married Mary Clark, of Massachusetts; in 1845, with family, came to Illinois and settled on the present homestead; here he has lived ever since; he first settled on forty acres of Government land; his wife died soon after he settled here; he was married to Mary Canfield, of Massachusetts; sixteen children, ten by first wife and six by second; son Harrison was in the late war; enlisted in the 8th Ill. Cav.; participated in some of the prominent battles; was honorably discharged at the close of the war. [Source: "The History of Will County, Illinois..."; Wm. LeBaron, Jr., & Co., 1878. Tr. by K. Mohler]

Adelmann, C.
C. ADELMANN, farmer; P.O. Lockport; was born in Bavaria, Germany, May 1, 1817; he immigrated to America in August, 1846, and settled in Lockport, Will Co., Ill., where he has resided ever since, excepting a temporary absence of about six months on the Au Sable; he was a stone cutter by trade, and has erected a number of fine buildings in Lockport, and now owns some of the best and most eligibly situated business houses in town; this he followed about twenty years and then bought and operated the tannery located in the south part of the village; Jan. 11, 1878, he sold out his business and has since lived a retired life on his farm; owns forty acres adjoining the corporation, adorned with a fine stone residence. He was married in March, 1847, to Mary Koumeyer, a native of Germany; has six children - Peter, Mary, Charlie, Francis, China, Georgia.[Source: "The History of Will County, Illinois..."; Wm. LeBaron, Jr., & Co., 1878. Tr. by K. Mohler]

Adelmann, Peter dealer in general merchandise, Joliet; was born in Lockport, Will Co., Il., Jan. 5, 1852. He is the son of Christopher Adelmann, who coming from Bomberich Biern, Germany, settled in Lockport in 1846, and is still a respected and substantial citize n of that city. The son, Peter Adehmann, received his education in the Lockport public schools, and in Bryant & Stratton's Business College in Chicago; he then went to Iowa and engaged in clerking in a leather and shoe-finding house in Council Bluffs, from which city, at the age of 18 years, he came to Joliet, and started in the dry goods business with Anthony Schall; in February, 1877, he purchased his partner's interest, and has since continued the business alone. He was married on the 21st of October, 1873, to Miss Louisa Scheidt, daughter of Hon. Anton Scheidt, of this city; they have three children -- Anthony C., Frederick P., and Cora L. [Source: "The History of Will County, Illinois: Containing a History of the Co unty ..." By George H. Woodruff, H. H. Hill, 1878]

Adler, Jacob
stock dealer, Joliet; born in Prussia, Germany, March 17, 1836; he emigrated with his parent to America when 2 years of age, landing in New York, coming directly West and remaining in Chicago for a few months, then a short time in Indiana, then a short time at Sag Bridge, Will Co., when he removed to New Lenox, where he went to school one year, then to Joliet in 1843, where he attended school in the old log schoolhouse, the first school house in the township; he remained with his father upon the farm until 22 years of age, when he engaged in the grocery and provision business about one year, then selling out, he went to Pike's peak and traveled over a large part of the Western Territories; returning to Joliet in 1861, he engaged in the butchering and stock business, which he has since successfully followed; he has been largely engaged in farming, and raising, buying and shipping stock to the Chicago and Eastern markets. He married Jan. 11, 1866, to Emily Erhard, daughter of George Erhard, one of the pioneers of Will Co.; they are the parents of six children now living, viz., Louisa M., Jacob C., Lawrence J., Emily F. V., Michael L. and Angeline A. [Source: "The History of Will County, Illinois: Containing a History of the County ..." By George H. Woodruff, H. H. Hill, 1878]

Adler, P.P. dealer in live stock and proprietor of Adler's wholesale and retail market, Joliet; was born in Joliet Oct. 7, 1842; he is a son of Michael Adler, who came to Will Co. over forty years ago and is now living in Joliet at the age of 75 years; Mr. Adler received an English education in the Joliet public schools, and then learned the shoemaker's trade, which he followed for four years; at the age of 21, he began business for himself and has followed various kinds of business to the present time. He was married in 1865, to Miss Mary A. Flick, of Joliet and has four children--Angeline J., Lizzie L., Peter J., and Frederick J. [Source: "The History of Will County, Illinois: Containing a History of the County ..." By George H. Woodruff, H. H. Hill, 1878]

Ahrens, George W.

GEORGE W. AHRENS, cabinet-maker; P.O. Crete; was born in Hessen, Germany, Feb. 22, 1836, and is the son of William Ahrens, of Germany, who was a shoemaker by trade. Mr. Ahrens commenced to learn the cabinet-making trade when a young man, in Germany, and served an apprenticeship of four years; after learning his trade, he was engaged in working in different parts of Germany, and, in 1858, with his brother John, emigrated to America; landed in New York City; came direct to Chicago; here he started, in a small way, in making chairs; this he followed about one year, then he commenced to have all the custom work he could do, and made a specialty of fine inlaid work, in which he ranks among the first in America, having had some of his work at the Centennial Exposition of 1876, and received a medal and a certificate of award for originality in design of an extension table having a compartment within it for storing the leaves (which was patented March 9, 1875, by George W. Ahrens); also, for very superior quality of inlaid work. Mr. Ahrens has now one of his fine tables at his store in Crete, which took the first premium at the Centennial Exposition in 1876, and, without doubt, is pronounced as one of the finest pieces of work in America. Mr. Ahrens, in 1865, started in the wholesale business, as Ahrens & Madden, 151 Randolph St., Chicago, doing a very extensive business, but on account of health he sold out, and, in 1867, moved to Crete, Will Co.; here he has been engaged in the furniture business ever since; Mr. Ahrens is also engaged in the undertaking line; has one of the finest hearses in Will Co., manufactured by himself. [Source: "The History of Will County, Illinois..."; Wm. LeBaron, Jr., & Co., 1878. Tr. by K. Mohler]

Akin, E. H.
dealer in real estate, Joliet; was born in Johnstown, Fulton Co., N.Y., July 3, 1815; at the age of 17, he went to Onondaga Co., and in 1847, to Berrien Co., Mich.; followed the mercantile business there one year; removing thence to Chicago; in 1849, he came to Lockport, and shortly afterward went to California, where he followed mining until 1851; returning, he engaged in farming near Lockport, and , in 1854, removed to Joliet; here he followed his trade of cooper, for a short time, and then engaged in manufaccturing staves, which he continued until 1860; in 1861, he removed to Hennepin, Putnam Co., Ill., where he engaged in flour manufacturing and dealing in grain, which he shipped to Chicago and St. Louis. He did a very successful business during the war, and , in 1867, returned to Joliet, since which time he has been engaged in the grain trade, woolen manufacturing and real estate transactions. In 1872 he laid out Akin's Addition to Joliet, comprising forty acres, lying near the Fair Grounds, and accessible to business by the street railway; most of these lots have since been sold and imporved. He also owns condsider other propert y in different parts of the city; in 1877, he built the Akin Building on Jefferson Street. He is a Director of Oakwood Cemetery, and one of the originators and a Director of the People's Loan and Homestead Association, which was organized in 1874. He was married June 10, 1840, to Miss Sophronia C. Merrill, of Cortland Co., N.Y., and has four children--Charlotte C., Libraran of the Joliet Public Library; Lucy H., John J., a banker in Roodhouse, ILL., and Edward C., a law student in Joliet. [Source: "The History of Will County, Illinois: Containing a History of the County ..." By George H. Woodruff, H. H. Hill, 1878]

Albrecht, John
JOHN ALBRECHT, farmer and stock-raiser; P.O. Monee; one of our early settlers; was born in Germany; came to the United States in 1858, and to this State in the same year; his farm contains 140 acres, valued at $7,000. He was married to Miss Frederica Beutin, who was born in Germany; they have had eight children, six of whom are living - Mena, Augusta, William, Henry, Amelia and Bertha; deceased - Carl and an infant. Mr. Albrecht is now holding the office of School Director.[Source: "The History of Will County, Illinois..."; Wm. LeBaron, Jr., & Co., 1878. Tr. by K. Mohler]

Alexander, George
GEORGE ALEXANDER, farm and stock, Sec. 15; P.O. Channahon; the subject of this sketch was born in this county, on Hickory Creek, Oct. 27, 1837. He married Miss Emma Bedford Feb. 14, 1860; she was born in New Jersey Nov. 11, 1841; they had seven children, five living, viz., Janet, Hattie, Mary, John and Jessie. He has always lived in this county; he has been Road Commissioner ten years and Collector several terms during the past twenty years; he has been dealing largely in stock; he bought an interest in a creamery during the past year, and since that time he has added the dairy business to his farming and stock business; he owns 650 acres in this county. His father, John Alexander, deceased, was born in Scotland June 7, 1811. He married Miss Elizabeth Turner Dec. 25, 1833; she was born in England Sept. 22, 1812; they had seven children, six living, viz., Ann, George, Elizabeth, John, Isabella and Moriah. He lived in Scotland eleven years, then moved to England, where he lived eleven years; he then came to the United States; he crossed the Atlantic five times, and finally, in 1835, he settled on Hickory Creek, this county; in 1838, he came to his present place, living in a log cabin, which yet remains on the farm. He superintended some twenty miles of the Iron Mountain Railroad, and was for some time foreman of a stone-quarry, now owned by his son. He died Sept. 15, 1856, and had lost his wife March 23, 1853.[Source: "The History of Will County, Illinois..."; Wm. LeBaron, Jr., & Co., 1878. Tr. by K. Mohler]

Alexander, James L.
JAMES L. ALEXANDER, farmer, P.O. Lockport; was born in New Marlboro, Mass., Aug. 22, 1805. He was married to Betsy Healy, of Elbridge, Onondaga Co., N.Y., May 17, 1834; after marriage, he lived three years in Sodus, Wayne Co., N.Y., where he engaged in farming; in 1837, he came West and settled near Lockport, taking contracts on the I. & M. Canal on the section at Kankakee, and subsequently on Secs. 62 and 45; after the completion of the canal, he purchased a farm in the present limits of Dupage Tp., and occupied it in 1841; in 1860, he moved to the farm now owned and operated by his widow and son, James H.; he died Dec. 29, 1876; has two children living - James H. and Sarah E. (now wife of C.W. Rathburn, of Joliet). The home farm contains 382 acres, worth $70 per acre. Never having sought political preferment, he held no offices higher than those of School Trustee and School Director. He was a well-read, thorough-going business man; perhaps no man in the communities in which he lived enjoyed the respect and confidence of his neighbors to a fuller extent than did Mr. Alexander; starting in life a poor boy, he, by manly exertions, accumulated a competency for his family, and, at his death, no man could truthfully say that he had accumulated one cent in a dishonest manner.[Source: "The History of Will County, Illinois..."; Wm. LeBaron, Jr., & Co., 1878. Tr. by K. Mohler]

Alfrick, F
. blacksmith, Joliet: born in Germany Feb. 20, 1837, where he lived and attended school constantly until 15 years of age, when he engaged in farming three years; he emigrated to America when 18 years of age, landing in New York Nov. 27, 1854; from there he went to Picton, C. W., where he learned the blacksmith trade, working at the same for a period of ten years; he emigrated to Joliet, Ill., in November, 1865, and engaged at his trade, which business he has since successfully followed; he owns his place of business and other real estate upon Bluff St., and has a fine residence upon Broadway, which he erected in 1875; all of the above he has accumulated by his own hard labor, strict integrity and industry. He married March, 1860, Jane Storm; she was a native of Scotland; they had five children by this union, viz., Robert L., Isabella R., Emma, Maggie, and Frederick. Mrs. Alfrick died. Mr. Alfrick again married to Susan Kluth; she was born in Chicago Oct. 6, 1849. [Source: "The History of Will County, Illinois: Containing a History of the County ..." By George H. Woodruff, H. H. Hill, 1878]

Allen, Benjamin Franklin,
physician, Joliet; was born of New England parentage, in Watertown, Jefferson Co., N. Y., Dec. 12, 1815; when about 4 years of age, his parents removed to St. Lawrence Co., where he passed his early years on a farm situated on the banks of the river St. Lawrence, attending the district school during the winter seasons; soon after attaining his majority, he went back to Watertown, his native place, and there spent six years, first as a student at the Black River Literary and Religious Institute, a part of the time teaching school, and later pursuing his medical reading. under the direction of Drs. Hannibal S. Dickerson, of Watertown, and Al. K. Bates, of Browning; he completed his full term of medical study, attending courses of medical lecturers at Geneva College in 1841-42, and, in the summer of 1844, came West, prepared to engage in the practice of medicine; he followed this practice for a few months in Kane Co., and the following winter engaged in teaching in New Lenox Tp., in Will Co., where he made the acquaintance of Mrs. Priscilla W. Davison, a young widow lady, relict of Judge John J. Davison, to whom he was married April 17,1845, he continued to reside in that township, performing satisfactorily the duties of administrator of the Davison estate, and, jointly with his wife, that of guardian to her infant daughters, and was also engaged in farming, till, in the summer of 1861, he built a residence in the city of Joliet, into which, with his family, he removed in the spring following, and has here since continued to reside. He has four children living --- Helen A., now the wife of now the wife of C. W. Cross, attorney-at-law in Nevada City, Cal., Florence M., wife of H. C. Plimpton, now a resident of Joliet, Ill; Frank E. and Mortimer A., the last-named in the employ of Field, Leiter & Co., in their wholesale house in Chicago. Mrs. Allen has two daughters of her former marriage--M. Jennie, wife of Maj. John M. Thompson, of .New Lenox, and Rachel D., wife of B. N. Higinbotham, general manager for Field, Leiter & Co., Chicago. Dr. and Mrs. Allen are both earnest and consistent members of the Ottawa Street M.E. Church, and also zealous and earnest advocates of the cause of temperance. Dr. Allen is in no sense of the term an office-seeker, yet has held various offices much of the time during his residence in Will Co.; for several years served the township of New Lenox as Supervisor or Town Clerk; in 1857 and 1858, held the office of County School Commissioner, and has been most of the time a member of the Board of School Inspectors during, his residence in the city of Joliet. Having considerable leisure time, he has devoted a portion of it to literary pursuits, being a frequent contributor, both in prose and verse, to the city papers, and occasionally furnishing an article to various leading periodicals; among the prose articles from his pen which have been well received by the public, may be mentioned, “How I Was Once Robbed," "A Visit to the Mammoth Cave;" " The Short Papers," a series of twenty-two articles Notes and Opinions on California; “A Trip to Florida-Notes by the Way," eight papers; and " The Uncle's Legacy," a serial tale, running through six months of the Will County, Courier, and many briefer articles among the articles in verse, which have been read with approval, were " Women Suffrage;" "Carrier’s Address”, "The Wonderful Pamphlet" "Bring Flowers," a song for decoration day; “The Two Fishers of Men;” “Ode for the Fourth of July;” “The Secret Cave,” a legend of the Cumberland; and several articles partaking somewhat of the humorous, entitled, “Experiences, Advice, Comment’s and Suggestions of Barney O'Toole," etc.; he has in course of publication, "Irene, or the Life and Fortunes of a Yankee Girl," a tale, in eight short cantos, comprising a neatly executed volume of 160 pages, 16 mo, which may be obtained at the book stores, or by addressing the author, at Joliet; Ill. [Source: "The History of Will County, Illinois: Containing a History of the County ..." By George H. Woodruff, H. H. Hill, 1878]

Allen, Edmund
EDMUND ALLEN, proprietor of the Wilmington Butter and Cheese Factory, Wilmington; born in Broome Co., N.Y., May 21, 1814; removed to Illinois in the summer of 1835, locating at Joliet, where he engaged in mercantile business; Mr. Allen put up the first barrel of beef that was sent from Chicago to the New York market; the packing was done at the packing-house of G.W. Doll, and the beef shipped by the old favorite steamer Illinois to Ralph Mead, New York City. Jan. 1, 1844, he removed to Wilmington, engaged in merchandising and milling, at the same time making the butter trade a specialty, being instrumental in establishing a trade in the latter commodity which has placed Wilmington foremost as a market for a good grade of butter; since 1856, he has given his entire attention to this line of business, buying and shipping to the St. Louis market, until 1875, when he erected one of the best butter and cheese factories of the Northwest. Married in 1842 to Miss Elizabeth Shoemaker, who was born in Herkimer Co., N.Y.; four children by this union - Robert L., Edmund A., John J. and Mary E.[Source: "The History of Will County, Illinois..."; Wm. LeBaron, Jr., & Co., 1878. Tr. by K. Mohler]

Amend, Andrew
ANDREW AMEND, farming, Sec. 28; P.O. Joliet; was born in Germany in the spring of 1829. He married Miss Suzan Zipf in 1848; she was born in Bavaria in 1816; they have one adopted daughter, viz., Suzan. He left Germany when quite young and came to the United States with his parents, who settled in Huron Co., Ohio, and engaged in farming; remained until 1850, when he went to Iowa and remained a few months, when he came to Will Co., Ill., and settled in Plainfield; remained two years; thence to Sec. 1 of Joliet Tp., and lived there four years; he then moved on the Plankroad and remained some ten years; he then went to Ohio and engaged in grocery and saloon; remained until 1865, when he came to Joliet and engaged in saloon and boarding-house; he also acted as Constable some ten years; in 1878, he came to his present place; he started in poor circumstances, and now owns 101 acres here, besides some residence property in Joliet. His mother died in Ohio in 1855, and his father died in Canada in 1860.[Source: "The History of Will County, Illinois..."; Wm. LeBaron, Jr., & Co., 1878. Tr. by K. Mohler]

Andrew, William
WILLIAM ANDREW, farmer and stock-raiser; P.O. Greengarden; one of our early settlers; was born in England; came to the United States with his father's family in 1854, and to this State and settled in Will Co. in the same year; his farm consists of 200 acres, valued at $10,000. He was married March 26, 1854, to Miss Eliza Foster, who was born in England; they have two children - Charles and Emma A. Mr. Andrew, since his residence in the township, has held the office of School Director several years.[Source: "The History of Will County, Illinois..."; Wm. LeBaron, Jr., & Co., 1878. Tr. by K. Mohler]

Andrews, Alexander,
grocery merchant, Joliet; was born in Meriden, New Haven co., Conn., Oct. 29, 1824; in early life he learned the trade of carpenter and joiner; he came West to Illinois in 1852, and settled in Peoria Co., where he engaged in carpentering for a number of years; in 1858, he purchased a farm in Knox Co., and followed agricultural pursuits till 1870; he then spent one or two years in traveling, and , in 1872, located in Joliet; here he worked at his trade until November, 1876, when he engaged in his present occupation. He was married in 1843, to Lucia S. Lewis, a native of Connecticut; has two children--Frank and Fred. Mr. Andrews has a fine trade and is deservedly popular as a business man. [Source: "The History of Will County, Illinois: Containing a History of the County ..." By George H. Woodruff, H. H. Hill, 1878]

Angus, William
WILLIAM ANGUS, merchant, Peotone; general merchant, firm of Angus & Fell; born in Durham Co., England, March 18, 1830, where he lived and engaged in farming until 23 years of age, when he emigrated to America, landing in New York April 21, 1853, coming directly West and to Chicago; he was employed upon the Galena Division of the C. & N.W. R.R. for a period of five years, first as fireman, then as engineer; after leaving the C. & N.W. R.R., he located in Lombard, Du Page Co., and engaged in farming for a period of eleven years, when he came to Peotone, and, Aug. 4, 1870, engaged in general merchandise, which business he has since followed. He married Jan. 1, 1857, Saloma Wolf; she was born in France. [Source: "The History of Will County, Illinois..."; Wm. LeBaron, Jr., & Co., 1878. Tr. by K. Mohler]

Arnold, Oren W.
groceries and provisions, Joliet; firm of Arnold & Bowen; born in Orleans Co., N.Y., July 12, 1835, where he attended school until 10 years of age; he emigrated with his parents to Joliet in the winter of 1845; in the spring following, he removed with his parents to Iroquois Co., and engaged in farming for a period of seventeen years, when he removed to Troy Tp., Will Co., where he lived six years, being engaged in learning the trade of carpenter, and farming; he then went to Minnesota for his health, taking with him two droves of horses; after disposing of them he engaged at his trade for two years; returning from there to his farm in Troy Tp. in 1874, where he lived until 1877, when he engaged in the above business in Joliet, cor. Bluff and Exchange Strs. He married in 1859, Helen Sammons; they had one child, which died in infancy. Mrs. Arnold died Jan. 30, 1862. Mr. Arnold again married, Dec. 25, 1868, to Minnie Clark; she was born in Plainfield, Will Co. Her parents were among the early settlers of Will Co. Four children were the fruit of this union, viz., Hellen, May, Lillian E., Burt C., and Francis W. [Source: "The History of Will County, Illinois: Containing a History of the County ..." By George H. Woodruff, H. H. Hill, 1878]

Ashley, James R.
, Secretary Joliet Wire Fence Co., Joliet; was born in Lewis Co., N. Y., in February, 1825 ; in 1837, his father came West with his family and settled in Plainfield, Will Co., Ill. He was a minister in the Baptist Church: and labored many years for the churches in Plainfield, Naperville, Downer's Grove, and organized the church in Joliet; he still resides in Plainfield, having almost completed his fourscore years. James enjoyed a good common-school education, and was at an early age introduced to business life; after his majority he began mercantile life in Plainfield, which he followed twenty years; in 1871, he sold out his store and in the sping of 1874, began business in Joliet in company with A. B. Sharp, in the manufacture and sale of the Excelsior Axle Grease; this he continued till January, 1876, when he formed a co-partnership with Scutt & Watkins, under the firm n ame of H. P. Scutt &. Co., and engaged in the manufacture of barbed fence; in October, 1876, he purchased the interest of Mr. Watkins in the firm, and a stock company was formed under the name of the Joliet Wire Fence Company, of which he was chosen Secretary, a position he still holds. He was married Oct. 27, 1850, to Julia F. Tyler, a native of Troy, N. Y.; has one child living---Ellie M.; three deceased---Alice E., Christina, and Nellie. [Source: "The History of Will County, Illinois: Containing a History of the County ..." By George H. Woodruff, H. H. Hill, 1878]

Ashley, Morgan
MORGAN ASHLEY, farmer; P.O. Lockport; was born in Lewis Co., N.Y., Jan. 29, 1818; at the age of 17, he left the East and came West to Illinois, settling Plainfield; here he remained two years, and then moved north of the village one mile, to a farm, remaining six years; he next moved to Dupage Tp., purchased a farm and remained there seven years; he next moved to Lockport Tp., and located where he at present resides. He was married Jan. 21, 1843, to Emily R. Norton, a native of Ithaca, N.Y.; has seven children - Lourina, Eli, Annie (now wife of Alva Culver), Harry L., Gilbert M., Riley T., Preston D. Owns 220 acres, worth $12,000. Held the offices of Constable and Collector in Plainfield; was Justice of the Peace in Dupage; he was appointed Postmaster at Dupage under the administration of Andy Johnson; this position he held about two years; is at present School Trustee. In addition to his common school education, he attended for a time a select school at Martinsburg, Lewis Co., N.Y. Poor when he came West, he has accumulated his property through his own personal exertions, seconded by the aid of his faithful companion. [Source: "The History of Will County, Illinois..."; Wm. LeBaron, Jr., & Co., 1878. Tr. by K. Mohler]

Austin, J.B.
J.B. AUSTIN, farmer, Sec. 11; Gooding's Grove, P.O.; was born in Ontario Co., N.Y., July 4, 1824; he lived with his parents up to the age of 14, when he came with his uncle, Ira Austin, to this county in 1838, who settled near Gooding's Grove P.O., and lived with him until 1851. He purchased the farm he now resides on in 1851. Has been Collector, Assessor, Constable and School Director. Mr. Austin was the Captain of the first canal-boat that went through the Illinois and Michigan Canal. His first wife was Laura Sanders of N.Y. State; she died July 3, 1865; they have four children, William B., born in 1851; Marion E., April 26, 1853; Albert H., Feb. 6, 1854; Lyman A., Nov. 26, 1856. He married his second wife, Miss Betsey McGregor, in Homer Township, Oct. 22, 1867; she was born Nov. 17, 1845; have seven children - Jennie, born Dec. 16, 1868; Buel P., born July 22, 1870; Ira W., born Nov. 6, 1871, and died March 3, 1873; Charles H., born Nov. 16, 1874; James H., born Aug. 9, 1876, and John, born Aug. 4, 1878. Mr. Austin served in the Commissary Department during our late war, from Aug. 2, 1862, to Feb. 1, 1865. [Source: "The History of Will County, Illinois: Containing a History of the County ..." by Wm. LeBaron, Jr., & Co., 1878. Tr. by K. Mohler]

Avery
, E.D. attorney at law, Joliet (firm of Fithian & Avery); was born in Oneida Co., N.Y., Feb. 2, 1846; the following year, 1847, his parents removed to Illinois, settling on a farm in Lisbon, Kendall Co.; his father is a well-known fruit-grower and nurseryman and to this business the son was raised; he attended the Newark Seminary, in his native county, several terms, and, on becoming of age, he with his brother started a nursery near Dwight, Livingston Co.; two years later, he sold his interest to his brother and engaged in dealing in stock; in 1871, he removed to Chebanse, Kankakee Co., and there added a general merchandise business to his stock in trade; he remained there until 1874, when he came to Joliet and began reading law in the office of Messrs. Hill & Dibell; he was admitted to the bar in January, 1877, and in the following September, entered into partnership with John B. Fithian in the practice of the law. He was married Dec. 25, 1871, to Miss Mary Sidlow, of Grundy Co., Ill., and has one child -- Hubert C. [Source: "The History of Will County, Illinois: Containing a History of the County ..." By George H. Woodruff, H. H. Hill, 1878]



 

BACK -- HOME

©Genealogy Trails