Cities & Townships of Will County, Illinois

"Old and New"



Click on the letter that starts with the name of the Town you are searching.

A  B  C  D  E  F  G  H  I  J  K  L  M  N  O  P  Q  R  S  T  U  V  W  X  Y  Z



Wilmington


 *
1850 Clinton Township; 1875 divided into Reed Township and Custer Township

Late 19th & Early
20th Century
Cities, Towns
& Villages


.

Townships



A

Go To Top Of Page

.
Alden's Island Is now a part of Wilmington, Illinois; named for James F. and H. O. Alden who came to the area from Maine ca. 1847.  Thomas Cox is credited with being the first permanent settler of the vicinity.  In 1836 Cox laid claim to all of the land, including the island, on which the City of Wilmington now stands.  The entire Cox Family moved to Salem, Oregon in 1847. The area was also know as Cox Island Wilmington Township
Andres Peotone RFD Peotone Township
Arbury Hills . Frankfort Township
Arnon Post Office opened Dec. 13, 1848 and closed March 2, 1860 .
B

Go To Top Of Page

.
Baker Station named for Clarke Baker who came from New York to Will Co. in 1850; Manhattan Township
Ballou RFD Wilmington; on Wabash RR Wesley Township
Barber's settled in 1832; name for John Barber; Post Office established Dec. 21, 1846; changed to DuPage April 16, 1856 Dupage Township
Beebe's Grove Now a part of Crete; named for Minoris Beebe, a pioneer settler arriving in Will Co. about 1834 Crete Township
Beecher . Washington Township
BelAir Now part of Joliet Joliet Township
Bemes/Bemis PostOffice established Sept. 22, 1893;discontinued in Jan.31, 1907 Crete Township
Bergan Station named for H. & D. Bergan; on Wabash RR Manhattan Township
Beverly Farm . Frankfort Township
Big Road Settlement Along the State Road in Washington and Crete Townships .
Birds/Birds Bridge On the Illinois & Michigan canal about 5 miles south of Joliet; named for a Mr. Bird who lived near the bridge; PostOffice established in 1869; discontinued in 1905 Troy Township
Blackstone Grove settled in 1833; named for Judge John Blackstone; Hadley Post Office Homer Township
Blodgett now a part of Joliet Arsenal land PostOffice openedin 1898 & closed  in 1905;    Located in Wilminton Township??? Channahon Township
Bolingbrook . Dupage Township
Boulevard Heights Part of Joliet Joliet Township
Braidwood on the Chicago & Alton R.R.; Reed Township
Brisbane RFD New Lenox; located on Wabash RR New Lenox Township
Brooklyn Part of Joliet Joliet Township
Bucktown Now in Braidwood; settled about 1877 Reed Township
Buena Vista Part of Joliet Joliet Township
Buffalo . .
Butterfield's Ford on Des Plaines River; used as a crossing by first settlers entering what is now Lockport and Homer Townships; existed in early 1830's Lockport Township
C

Go To Top Of Page

.
Camp Goodell Near present day Ingalls park; established in 1861-62 as a Civil war training camp Joliet Township
Canal part of Homer and Lockport Townships; named for the Illinois and Michigan canal .
Canton Farm PostOffice opened  1893; closed 1900 Plainfield Township
Carlyle . .
Channahon   . Channahon Township
Chelsea Changed to Frankfort Station; now Frankfort; PostOffice opened 1838; first post master was L.M. Clayes Frankfort Township
Claus Chicago Heights RFD .
Coon Grove also known as Racoon Grove Indian reservation; Monee Township
Cox Island Note Alden's Island .
Cougar's Crossings . .
Coynes Lockport Township??????? Plainfield Township
Crest Hill . Lockport Township
Crete . Crete Township
Custer Park Post Offices opened Sept. 14, 1877; changed to Custer Park Sept. 15, 1885 Custer Township
D

Go To Top Of Page

.
Drummond . Channahon Township
Dupage Was Barber's Corners in 1856; Fountaindale??; Post Office opened in July 26, 1833; closed on July 20, 1842; reopened on March 2, 1846 then closed on Aug 1, 1854.   .
Dyer   Crete Township
E

Go To Top Of Page

.
Eagle Lake Post Office opened 1865 & closed 1902; Now is Beecher RFD Washington Township
East Wheatland . Wheatland Township
Elwood . Jackson Township
Endor Post Offices opened in June 30, 1837 & closed Nov. 18, 1856; reopened Oct. 11, 1861 & closed Nov. 15, 1901 Crete Township
Essex    
Eureka settled about 1873 Reed Township
Evergreen Heights Now part of Joliet .
F

Go To Top Of Page

.
Fair Acres Now part of Joliet .
Fairmont . Lockport Township
Faithorn . Crete Township
5-Mile Grove settled in 1832-33; original settlement now Manhattan Manhattan Township
Fort Higginbotham Located east of Joliet .
Fort Nonsense Now part of Joliet; Fort Nonsense was established during the Black Hawk war scare in 1832 .
Fountaindale Note DuPage .
Frankfort Station . Frankfort Township
G

Go To Top Of Page

.
Gaugers . New Lenox Township
Godley Near Will and Grundy Co. Line Reed Township
Goodenow Named for George Goodenow; was established in 1870 Crete Township
Goodings Grove settled in 1832 & named for Deacon James Gooding; Post Offices opened in 1846 & closed in 1901;   Homer Township
Grange PostOffice opened in 1841 & closed in 1842 .
Gravel Bank . Channahon Township
GreenGarden   settled about 1847 by M.F. Sanders and George M. Green; Vermont Precinct GreenGarden Township
Grinton settled in 1845 and named for William Grinton; Also called Grinton's Mill & Grintonville Troy Township
H

Go To Top Of Page

.
Hadley Post Office opened in 1835; also known as Blackstone Grove. Hadley settled in 1833 and was named for Hadley, Mass. Homer Township
Hampton Located near Elwood Wilmington Township
Hayden's Manhattan RFD Florence Township
Hickory Creek Settlement Settled 1829-30 Early settlers were, James Brown, Aaron Friend, Wm. Rice, Wm. Gougar & John Grover. New Lenox Township
Hickory Grove . New Lenox Township
Hoddam .  
Homer . Homer Township
Homewood . .
HorseCreek Also Called Custer Park Custer Township
I

Go To Top Of Page

.
Idylside Now part of Crest Hill .
Ingalls Park Now part of Joliet; site of Camp Goodell .
Intent . .
J

Go To Top Of Page

.
Jackson Creek First called Reed's Grove .
Judy . Washington Township
Juliet/Joliet . Joliet Township
K

Go To Top Of Page

.
Kankakee Town laid out in Will Co by John Beard; Now Kankakee County .
Keeversville Located by Braidwood; coal mine shaft was sunk in Keeversville in 1865 .
Knappa Located by Wilmington .
L

Go To Top Of Page

.
Lake Juliet . .
Lewistown Now part of joliet .
Lidice Now part of Crest Hill; first known as stern park; named Lidice for Lidic, Czechoslovakia .
Lillecash . Plainfield Township
Lockport . Lockport Township
Lois . Wilton Township
Long John .  
Lorenzo . Wilmington Township
Lunenberg . .
M

Go To Top Of Page

.
Manhattan . Manhattan Township
Manningdale . Joliet Township
Marble Falls . Joliet Township
Marley . New Lenox Township
Martins Landing .Partly in DuPage & Lockport townships  
Mather . Wilmington Township
McGlashens . Frankfort Township
McKee's Town Now part of Joliet .
Millboro Now part of Joliet .
Millsdale . Channahon Township
Mokena . Frankfort Township
Momence .  
Monee . Monee Township
N

Go To Top Of Page

.
Nabenekanong Same as Twelve Mile Grove .
New Lenox . New Lenox Township
Normantown Plainfield RFD Wheatland Township
Nortonville . .
O

Go To Top Of Page

.
Oak Hill Now part of Joliet .
P

Go To Top Of Page

.
Palmyra . .
Parkside Now part of Joliet .
Peotone . Peotone Township
Pierce Changed to Wilton Center on Dec. 3, 1875 Wilton Township
Plainfield . Plainfield Township
Plaines . Joliet Township
Polk . Washington township
Prairie Creek . Wilmington township
Pritchie . Wesley Township
Puckerville Same as Gooding's Grove .
Q

Go To Top Of Page

.
Quality Hill Now part of Crete Crete Township
R

Go To Top Of Page

.
Rairdon's Now part of Romeoville .
Reed's Grove Named for Charles Reed Family; Changed to Jackson Creek on May 23, 1844 Jackson Township
Ridgewood Now part of Joliet .
Ritchie/Ritchey Named for early postmaster, John and Benjamin Ritchey Wesley Township
Rockdale . Joliet Township
Romeo/Romeoville . Dupage Township
Runyon's Town Settled by Armstead Runyon about 1830 near Lockport .
S

Go To Top Of Page

.
Selfridgeville named for Lorenzo and Horatio Selfridge .
Sherbourne . .
Shermanville . Channahon Township
Shorewood inc. c. 1950's Troy Township
Sigel . .
Spencer village established in 1856 New Lenox Township
Starr's Grove . .
Steele . New Lenox Township
Steger . Crete Township
Stern Park See Lidice .
Stuenkels . Monee Township
Summit . Frankfort Township
Snifton/Swifton Also known as Swifton Channahon Township
Symerton . Florence Township
T

Go To Top Of Page

.
Tamarack . Wheatland Township
Thorn Creek early settlement in Crete Area .
Thornton Now Green Garden .
Tokio . Wheatland Township
Torino was a coal mining town Reed Township
Tracy Changed to New Lenox in 1863 New Lenox Township
Treat's Island settled by Seymour Treat Channahon township
Trenton Early name for Green Garden and Green Garden Township .
Trim Creek . .
Troutman's Grove settled in 1831-32 by Joseph McCune & John Troutman Channahon Township
Twelve Mile Grove Now Wilton Center; alsoNabenekanong .
V

Go To Top Of Page

.
Van Horne's Point named for C. C. Van Horne New Lenox Township
Vermont Settlement named by settlers arriving from their home state of Vermont in 1843 Wheatland Township
Vienna Now located in Grundy County .
W

Go To Top Of Page

.
Walker's Grove Now known as Plainfield and was settled in 1829; named for the Rev. Jesse Walker Plainfield Township
Wallingford . Wilton Township
Warner's Landing . Wesley Township
Washington Center . Washington Township
Wilmington was Winchester Wilmington Township
Wilton Center Was Pierce Wilton Township
Winchester Now Wilmington Wilmington Township
Wolf's Crossing named for postmaster Leonard Wolf .
Wood's Corners now Crete Crete Township
Y

Go To Top Of Page

.
Yankee Settlement Included Homer, northern part of New Lenox, and eastern part of Lockport Townships   .
Yellow Head Grove was in Will Co before Kankakee County was established in June 11, 1856 .
Young Hickory . New Lenox Township
Z

Go To Top Of Page

.
Zarley's named for pioneer Zarley Joliet Township

Information obtained from the following:



Return to Will County Homepage