Baton Rouge, LA
The seat of justice of East Baton Rouge parish, and capital of Louisiana. It occupies a pleasant slope on the east bank for the Mississippi river, 117 miles NW of New Orleans. Upon the elevation east of the city stands the United States barracks; it also contains Baton Rouge college and other prominent public buildings. This place is not otherwise particularly remarkable, except in being the seat of the state government, having succeeded New Orleans in that relation in Dec 1849. Opposite is the village of West Baton Rouge. The town is pleasantly located with good facilities for business, being nearly equally distant from Natchez and from New Orleans from which places and other points on the Mississippi come steamboats to its wharves.
Population in 1830 was about 1000, in 1840 was 2,296, in 1850 was 3,905