City and seat of justice of Erie Co, NY, is situated at the confluence of Buffalo creek with the east end of Lake Erie, and at the western terminus of the Erie canal, by which route it is 363 miles distant from Albany. It occupies a slope, chiefly on the north side of the creek, which is here deep enough for vessels drawing eight feet of water. The streets are generally regular, the buildings substantial, and many of them imposing. The longest and broadest is Main street, the Broadway of Buffalo, on each side of which, for more than two miles, extend lines of stores and other buildings. From the top of the elevation above the city, appears a wide panorama of the lake, Black Rock basin, Niagara river, the Erie canal, and the surrounding country
Buffalo is the offspring of the Erie canal, and ever since the completion of that stupendous work, has continued to increase in population, wealth, and importance. It is the gate through which the vast commerce of the great lakes and the western states passes on its way to New York and the east. great chain of railroads binds Buffalo to New York, Boston, Albany, and the richest portion of the Empire state along the course of the Erie canal; and another, traversing the valleys of the Susquehanna and Delaware, links it with New Jersey, New York City, and Philadelphia. By either of these routes, the passenger may reach Buffalo from New York, a distance of about 500 miles, in less than 20 hours. The Lake-shore railroad connects it with the vast network of railroads in the western states.
The harbor of Buffalo was formerly impeded by sands with the winds and storms of Lake Erie deposited at its entrance. By the construction of a mole and pier, 1,500 feet long, this obstacle is removed, and vessels drawing eight feet of water, now enter the creek. Her, in the winter season, a large number of vessels, steamboats, ships, schooners and canal-bots, are congregated and protected from ice and storms. Several hundred schooners, and a number of steamboats, navigate Lake Erie from Buffalo to the different ports on its shores. A large amount of capital is invested in manufactures.
Population: in 1810 was 1,508; in 1820 was 2,095; in 1830 was 8,653; in 1840 was 18,213 and in 1850 was 42,261