Seat of justice & the chief port of entry for VT. It is pleasantly situated on a beautiful bay of Champlain and commands the principle trade of the county and of the lake. To this point flow a large portion of the products of the Green Mountain state, and thence they are conveyed by railroad, steamboats, or other vessels, to Troy, Albany, New York, St John, and other places. Rising from the water by a gentle acclivity, and laid out in regular streets, adorned with gardens and dwellings, Burlington is as conspicuous for its pleasant and healthful location, as for its commercial advantages. The dome of the University of Vermont, which stands on an eminence 250 feet above the lake, commands a most varied, extensive and delightful prospect. A light-house on Juniper Island marks the entrance of the harbor, and a breakwater, erected by the general government, protects it from the west winds of the lake. This village communicates by railroad with Montpelier, Boston, and intermediate places.
Population in 1810 was 1,690; in 1820 blank; in 1830 was 3,525; in 1840 was 4,271 and in 1850 was 5,211