City and Seat of justice of Hamilton Co, OH, is situated on the north bank of the Ohio river, 494 miles from its entrance into the Mississippi, 1,447 miles from New Orleans, and 492 miles from Washington. It occupies two terraces, or even surfaces, the higher rising by a regular grade, about 60 feet above the lower. Great uniformity characterizes the streets, and the city is more splendid than it appears from the water. The surrounding country is a pleasant fertile valley, bounded by undulating slopes and hills, which command delightful views of the city, the river, and its banks. Near Cincinnati are several thriving villages and towns, which are connected with it in prosperity and interests. Like most rapidly increasing American cities, Cincinnati exhibits great diversity in the appearance of its buildings. Some are of wood and cheap material; other are solid, durable and splendid. Extensive warehouses, stores and dwellings, adorn the compact central portions; toward the outskirts, the buildings are more scattered and less comely.
The public buildings are numerous and generally elegant, consisting of from 70 to 80 churches;, market house; a courthouse, 120 feet high to the top of the dome; banks, asylums and hospitals; large and splendid hotels; public schools; libraries; the Observatory; scientific and literary institutions, Cincinnati St Xavier and Woodward Colleges and Lane Seminary, are located in the city, and exhibit the high regard for education which is cherished in the west.
The manufactures of Cincinnati include a great variety of articles of necessity, comfort, and luxury. Nature has supplied no remarkable water privileges, yet enterprise has constructed extensive appliances for the prosecution of manufactures. Several canals approaching the city from different points, by means of locks and dams, perform the functions of rivers in respect to industry and trade. Cincinnati is the market and emporium of a wide extent of country, exchanging its manufactures for vast numbers of hogs and other agricultural products. This extensive trade is facilitated by the numerous natural and artificial channels of communication from various points. From its position on the Ohio, it commands the commerce of its valley, with that of the Mississippi, while Licking river enters the Ohio opposite the City, after meandering 230 miles in Kentucky. Whitewater and Miami rivers, with their navigation improved by extensive canals, largely contribute to the trade and prosperity of the place.
The water-works of Cincinnati consist of a steam engine and reservoirs on the Ohio, which contain 1,600,000 gallons. From Cleveland and Sandusky city, 60 miles apart, on Lake Erie, two lines of railroad traverse the state, meet at Xenia, and terminate at Cincinnati.
Population in 1800 was 750; in 1810 was 2,540; in 1820 was 9,644; in 1830 was 24,831; in 1840 was 46,338 and in 1850 was 115,436.