City and seat of justice of Cuyahoga Co, OH is finely situated on the southern shore of Lake Erie, at the mouth of Cuyahoga river. It is 200 miles east of Columbus, and 359 miles from Washington. The shore of Lake Erie here is a bold bluff about 80 feet high, upon the level top of which the largest and best part of the city is built. Here the streets are straight and spacious, the buildings neat and pleasant, and an open park shaded with trees, occupies the centre. Fronting this square are the courthouse, a church and other prominent buildings. Hitherto, the rapid growth of Cleveland has caused it to want that aspect of permanence which is the result of slower increase; but solid stores, hotels and dwellings, are now rising in every quarter, making it as substantial as it is flourishing. Toward Cuyahoga river, the ground descends steeply, affording a convenient locality for stores, warehouses, and places of business. Here the plan of the town is less regular and not so attractive. The mouth of the river constitutes the harbor, which is deep, spacious and accessible. Two piers of solid masonry project 1200 feet into the lake and mark the entrance. At the end of one of these piers stands a lighthouse; another occupies the brow of the hill on the lake. Vessels of the largest class enter the harbor, and proceed some distance up the river, but the Ohio and Erie canal, along the stream and through its bed, is the principal channel of inland navigation. The great canal connects Portsmouth. 307 miles distant, on the Ohio river, with Cleveland, and traverses the rich interior of the state.
It meets the Ohio and Pennsylvania canal at Akron, in Summit Co, and thus communicates with Pittsburgh and the east. By these channels and the facilities of intercourse with New York, Canada and Michigan, which Lakes Erie, Ontario and Huron afford, Cleveland maintains a commerce as varied as it is extensive. Here congregate steamboats and other vessels, from very point on the vast shores of the great lakes, exchanging many foreign articles for the grain and other agricultural products of Ohio. Here, also, terminate the Cleveland and Pittsburgh, and the Cincinnati, Columbus and Cleveland railroads. The Lake-shore railroad connects it with the Erie at Dunkirk, the Central at Buffalo, and the Southern Michigan at Toledo. The manufacturing facilities of this city are not equal to its commercial advantages. The only water-power is afforded by the Cuyahoga river and the Ohio canal, which serve to keep several establishments in operation. Such articles as are necessary to supply the demand for domestic manufacture, existing in every flourishing city, are produced by the aid of steam and other mechanical powers.
Population: in 1802 was about 200; in 1810 was 547; in 1820 was 606; in 1830 was 1,076; in 1840 was 6,071, in 1850 was 17,034 and in 1852 was 25,670.