A postal village and seat of justice of Richland district and capital of SC, a pleasant village, situated on the east side of Congaree river, below the confluence of its constituents, the Broad and the Saluda, 120 miles northwest of Charleston, and 506 miles from Washington. The bank of the river gradually ascends to an elevation of about 200 feet, from which the town overlooks an extensive and interesting prospect. The streets are remarkable for breadth and regularity, and the houses for their neat and tasteful appearance. Here is located the College of South Carolina, a flourishing institution, which is liberally supported by the state. A Substantial and well built bridge extends on eight stone piers across the Congaree, and the Saluda canal, making a circuit of six and a quarter miles around the falls, passes through the town. The river affords steamboat communication with the ocean and with Charleston. The Columbia branch railroad meets the South Carolina railroad from Charleston at Branchville. Water from springs 1 mile from the town, is forced by steam to an elevated point, whence it is conveyed to all sections of the village.
Population: in 1830 was 3,400; in 1840 was 4,340; and in 1850 was 6,060