Seat of justice of Lowndes Co, MS, 141 miles NE of Jackson and 855 miles from Washington, situated at the head of steamboat navigation, on the east bank of Tombigbee river, is an important and growing city. Like the other flourishing towns of Mississippi, it is an extensive market of cotton, which finds its way from this point down the Tombigbee to Mobile, and thence to various foreign and domestic ports. The City is well laid out, on an elevation, about 120 feet above the level of the Tombigbee. An elegant bridge spans this stream and some of the public buildings are beautiful and imposing.
Population in 1840 was 4,000 and in 1850 was 9,611