Seat of justice of Merrimac Co, and capital of NH, is situated on both sides of Merrimac river, 65 miles NW of Boston and 457 miles from Washington. Four Substantial bridges connect the principal part of the town with the east side of the river, and the Contoocook flowing through its northwest corner, at its confluence with the Merrimac, forms Dustan island, so named after Mrs. Dustan, famed in heroic Indian history. Its central position, the well cultivated and productive surrounding region, and the communication by railroad with Boston, Portsmouth, and the interior, contribute to Concord a steady growth and prosperity. The statehouse, built of white granite, taken from neighboring quarried, is a fine structure in the centre of the town, 126 feet long, 49 feet wide, with projections of four feet on each front, surmounted by a fine cupola. Here also is the state prison, constructed of the same kind of material.
Population: in 1775 was 1,052; in 1790 was 1,747; in 1800 was 2,052; in 1810 was 2,393; in 1820 was 2,838; in 1830 was 3.727; in 1840 was 4,897; and in 1850 was 8,576