Frankfort, seat of justice of Franklin Co, and capital of the state of Kentucky. Situated on a circular bend, on the north side of Kentucky river, 60 miles from its entrance into the Ohio, and 452 miles from Washington. The river here winds through deep limestone banks, which afford a level site for the town, and for South Frankfort, on the opposite side with which it is connected by a bridge. Behind the town, the plain rises several hundred feet into a table-land, from which appears a magnificent prospect of the river, and a wide extent of country. Frankfort is a well built village, with neat and solid dwellings, of brick or white marble. Of this material, which the limestone region along the river furnishes in great plenty and excellence, the state house is constructed, a splendid building, with a portico supported by Ionic pillars at the front, and a lighted cupola upon the roof. There are also a penitentiary, courthouse, churches, banks &c. The citizens of Frankfort display the accustomed intelligent hospitality which is a characteristic of Kentuckians. The manufactures of the town are considerable, and steamboats ascending to this point with high water, carry on a trade with the valleys of the Mississippi and Ohio rivers. The Lexington and Ohio railroad, between Lexington and Louisville, 92 miles long, communicates with Frankfort.
The population in 1810 was 1,099; in 1820 was 1,679; in 1830 was 1,680; in 1840 was 1,917 and in 1850 was 4,372