Galveston, city, seat of justice of Galveston Co, at the northeasterly part of Galveston Island, TX. Between the town and Pelican island, on the northwest, the entrance to the bay is deep and spacious, affording a good harbor and anchorage. Steamboats and other vessels arrive at Galveston from different points on the Gulf of Mexico; and it is the chief commercial place in the state. There are a number of stores, dwellings, and other building, the white walls of which appear finely from the water, but occasion disappointment when more closely viewed.
The population in 1840 was 5,000 to 7,000; in 1850 was 6,000