A city, seat of justice of Marion Co and capital of Indiana, situated in the centre of the state, and on the east side of White river, in the midst of a rich and rapidly populating country, 108 miles northwest of Cincinnati, and 573 miles from Washington. Thirty years ago, a dense forest occupied the site of this city. In 1821, it became the seat of the state government, and has since continued to increase in population and prosperity. It is laid out with ingenuity and beauty. A circular street surrounds an open space, with the governor's mansion in the middle. From this diverge several streets, intersecting, diagonally, the others, which are rectangular. Besides a number of churches, mills and factories, the city contains a splendid statehouse, 180 feet long, 85 wide and 45 feet high, adorned by Ionic porticoes and columns, and surmounted by a dome. The courthouse is also a conspicuous edifice. White river is here spanned by an elegant bridge. The whole is an interesting specimen of industry, enterprise and thrift, and bids fair to become one the principal cities of the west. When high, the river is navigable to this point for steamboats. Indianapolis is connected by railroad with Madison, on the Ohio, 86 miles distant, and railways also extend toward Peru, as well as toward Bellefontaine in Logan Co, OH.
Population-- in 1830 was about 1,200; in 1840 was 2,692 and in 1850 was 8,090