Iowa City, IA
Seat of justice of Johnson Co, and Capital of the state of Iowa, situated on the east bank of Iowa river, about 50 miles from its entrance into the Mississippi, and 75 miles northwest of Burlington. For romantic and agreeable scenery, as well as in some measure for commercial advantages, it is eminently worthy to be the seat of government of so flourishing a state. It is built on successive elevations, rising, like terraces, one above the other. The ground near the river, is level and open. Above and beyond, upon two heights, run broad and beautiful avenues, and at right angles to this, is "Iowa Avenue" a magnificent street, at the head of which stands the state house, a splendid edifice of richly variegated stone, called "bird's eye" marble. It is in the Grecian Doric architecture, 60 feet wide and 100 feet long, surmounted by a beautiful dome. There are churches, schools, stores, and all the accompaniments of civilization and prosperity in the west. The river is navigable to Iowa City for steamboats and vessels of ordinary draught, and navigation will doubtless be speedily improved by canals and other channels of intercommunication.
Population: in 1840 was 800 and in 1850 was 1,250.