Seat of justice of Hinds Co, and capital of Mississippi, is situated at the head of boat navigation on the west bank of Pearl river. It is built on a beautiful level ground, half a mile square. It contains a magnificent state house, governor's house, a penitentiary and other elegant public buildings. It is connected with Jackson by a railroad 45 miles long. It lies 1,015 miles southwest of Washington.
Population: in 1840 was 2,126 and in 1850 ____.