Jersey City, NJ
In Hudson Co, NJ, situated upon a peninsula on the west bank of the Hudson, opposite the lower extremity of New York. In the days of the Revolution it was known as Paulus Hook, and was the scene of several events interwoven in American history. Upson the neck f the peninsula, a little in advance of Bergen Hill, was quite a strong fortification, which was occupied as a British outpost during a long period of the war. It was surprised, and its force made prisoners, in July 1779 by Major Henry Lee, and a part of his legion. Here the Paterson railway, connected with the Erie; the Morris and Essex railway; the Central railway, reaching toward Easton, on the Delaware the New Jersey railway, extending to Trenton, and connecting with routes to Philadelphia; all have a terminus. Here also, the Morris canal terminates, after pursuing a circuitous route of 100 miles from the Delaware river. Here the Cunard British Steam Navigation Company have an extensive wharf, from which their magnificent ocean steamers sail for Europe at regular intervals. Manufactories of various kinds are giving to Jersey City the most active prosperity, and its population like that of all the towns near New York, is rapidly increasing. Several ferries communicate with New York.
Population: in 1830 about 1,500; in 1840 was 3,072 and in 1850 was 6,856