Lansing, MI

Lansing, a postal village in Ingham Co, MI, situated on the east side of Grand river, succeeded Detroit as the capital of the state, in December 1847.  It is 95 miles northwest of Detroit, and 80 miles east of Lake Michigan.  The state and public buildings are projected, and finishing on a scale creditable to this great state.  Population in 1850 was 1,229