Little Rock,, AR
A city, seat of justice of Pulaski Co and capital of the state of Arkansas, is situated on a rock, or bluff, on the south side of the Arkansas river, at the head of steamboat navigation, except during high water, when Fort Gibson, 1100 miles further up may be reached. It is 300 miles by the river from the Mississippi river, and 1,065 miles from Washington. The town is well laid out, and has the usual number of churches and other public buildings, among which may be mentioned the statehouse, courthouse and Penitentiary.
Population: in 1840 was 3,000 and in 1850 was 4,138