City, the seat of justice of Jefferson Co, KY, the commercial metropolis of the western states is situated on the Ohio river, at the head of uninterrupted steamboat navigation, except when the river is high. Here the Ohio descends by rapids over a limestone ledge, forming a barrier to navigation, which is now surmounted by a canal from below the city to a point above the falls. From the water, the ground rises gently and with undulations, affording a fine site, and a magnificent and varied prospect of the river, and its islands, forming rapids, pleasant villages, and fertile shores. The city is intersected by broad and pleasant streets, parallel with the river, crossed at right angles by other streets and alleys. Beargrass creek, passing through the upper part of the town, falls into the Ohio, above the rapids, and is spanned by bridges. The public buildings are numerous, and commensurate with the importance and prosperity of Louisville, including banks, churches, hospitals, jails, a city hall and court house, medical institute and other benevolent, scientific and educational establishments. The Medical Institute at Louisville, is a very important institution, founded in 1837, with six professors, and about 250 students. The Kentucky Historical Society, has a considerable library with numerous manuscripts.
This city may be regarded as one of the great magazines for provisions in the west. It is the market of a vast agricultural region, extending through Kentucky, Ohio, Indiana and Illinois, and trades extensively with the whole valleys of the Mississippi and the Ohio. Manufactures of numerous kinds are also prosecuted with the great enterprise and success. It is supplied by an aqueduct with pure and abundant water, and is brilliantly illuminated with gas. Louisville is the terminus of the Lexington and Ohio railroad, and the port of a large number of steamboats from New Orleans, St Louis, and other places in the great valley of the west
Population: in 1778 was 30; in 1800 was 600; in 1810 was 1,357; in 1820 was 4,012; in 1830 was 10,352; in 1840 was 21,210 and in 1850 was 43,194.