City in Hillsborough Co, NH, celebrated for its immense water power, and extensive manufactures, 21 miles south east of Concord, from Washington 461 miles. Situated on the east bank of Merrimack river, which affords extensive water power for propelling the machinery. The great chain of railroads leading from Boston and Lowell through Concord, toward Montreal and Vermont, pass through this city, and Amoskeag Falls canal here facilitates navigation between Boston and Concord. Before the year 1810, this place constituted a part of the town of Derryfield.
Population: in 1810 was 615; in 1820 was 761; in 1830 was 877; in 1840 was 3,235 and in 1850 was 13,932